[Return]
Archived Thread
File 132976943919.jpg - (174.35KB , 850x626 , sample_8969fba7e180c32afe416441ec3484c8.jpg ) [iqdb]
51428 No. 51428
You are Patchouli Knowledge, a physically frail and sickly magician of profound aptitude and power. You live in the Voile Archives of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, though you have constructed a tower elsewhere, without internal fixtures as yet, which you may or may not inhabit much. You are Friends with Remilia, the vampire who owns the mansion, who considers it entirely too much effort to try to feed off you. Your Magical Potency varies somewhat from day to day, depending on how long of an incantation you can manage before breaking off into a fit of coughs, and how much strain your body can handle in addition to the rigors of illness. You currently have a box of ninety six vials of Medication stored in the library to offset the worst of the days, however, though it will later exact a toll, and your new Magical Focus eases use of magic to a significant degree. It seems that Luck can play a reasonable part in keeping yourself healthy, though effects may vary, as can the Hakurei Hot Spring.

Your magic is based on Elementalism primarily, though you are also skilled in Diabolism and Other Summonings, which can be surprisingly versatile, particularly in combination with Golems. You can also create Homunculi, if you have the materials to hand. You have the most important ingredient in stock, but you estimate it will be useless for the purpose by the end of the day.

Your library is currently playing host to a number of confectionery-based life forms, which you are in the process of experimenting upon. You have done a reasonable amount of experimentation, recently, and a meeting with Albus and Remus at Alistair's house draws near.

You are currently weathering the glower of Alice Margatroid, the puppeteer, who did not much appreciate your testing of Lunar Runes, while Tewi snickers to herself at the show. Marisa is off doing something to aid with your experiments.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51430
Thread list:
Thread 1: >>46379
Thread 2: >>46773
Thread 3: >>47117
Thread 4: >>47449
Thread 5: >>47752
Thread 6: >>48071
Patchy Side-Quest: >>48400
Thread 7: >>48562
Thread 8: >>48888
Thread 9: >>49257
Thread 10: >>49613
Thread 11: >>49980
Thread 12: >>50491
Thread 13: >>51007

Other Kahi stories:
City Quest - The City that was mentioned by Ran as Yukari social experiment (for *all* your yukkuri needs)
Thread 1: >>/others/37553
Doll's Quest (cameo with Cirno Ice Golems)
Thread 1: >>/th/139185
>> No. 51431
[x] If doing so won't inconvenience you much, offer to stab yourself with the javelin. If you do, make sure you don't damage or stain your clothing. If any of the non-hallucinogenic healing potion remains, take some of that.
[x] Examine Rachel and possibly Patchurri's magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Work on the replacement of golem parts such as claws, swords, and fangs with metal counterparts that can electrify.
-[x] Or, if the golems are already metal, the electrification of said parts.
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans, focusing on practical self-defense spells that they could use to actually fend off an opponent or flee.
[x] Meeting time.

Putting myself in Patchy's mindset, offering to stab herself sounds like something she'd do, given that it's apparently no big deal.
>> No. 51432
>>51429
I very much doubt Patchy would hurt herself like that for another magician, as last Korner stated on how she feels about Alice.

[x] Prepare some rough lesson plans. How much time should be spent in theory, how much in practice and decide how many fairies each non-first year should be able to handle in theory.
[x] Chat with Tewi. Ask if she's interested in the meeting while you're at it.
>> No. 51433
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.
[x] Examine Rachel and possibly Patchurri's magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Work on the replacement of golem parts such as claws, swords, and fangs with metal counterparts that can electrify.
-[x] Or, if the golems are already metal, the electrification of said parts.
[x] Meeting time.

Well, it would be funny, but I agree that we probably don't respect Alice enough to stab ourselves to appease her, no matter how much or little harm it does to us.

Also I assume the guys who were complaining last thread would be happier if we put the lesson plans first and fit the next stuff in the remaining time before the meeting. You're welcome.
>> No. 51436
>>51433
Not that it wasn't without good reasons. We have 4 days left with today. Of those four, the last two will have us go at the school to discuss the schedule with the others teachers. It could take only one, but preparing only for best case scenario is a bad idea. So that's two half-days to cut off so we fall down to 3 days left to prepare technically.

But today is included in those four and half of it is already done and the end of it will be for the meeting. So it fall to around 2 days's worth of time left to prepare.

So, with those two days left minimum, shouldn't we need to do our obligatory tasks FIRST before doing others things? Bear in mind the schedule will take time, as we need to prepare lessons plans for 7 years of students for a great number of weeks. We also need to build that lecture hall. All this in only two days at worst.

With that in mind, is it that crazy that some here dislike anons forgetting what is important to do and what can wait?
>> No. 51437
[x] Prepare some rough lesson plans.
[x] Chat with Tewi. Ask if she's interested in the meeting while you're at it.
>> No. 51439
[x] Test Patchurri's magical skill.
[x] Prepare some rough lesson plans.
[x] Chat with Tewi. Ask if she's interested in the meeting while you're at it.
>> No. 51440
[x] Make several Alice-shaped targets and more spears to test various things. Heavily imply that if she sticks around there may she may be... mistaken for a target.
-[x] Once she leaves, abandon target practice and make rough lesson plans.

This will either get rid of her or start a duel.
>> No. 51442
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.
[x] Examine Rachel, Patchurri, and possibly the rest of the P-patterns' magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Create a collar for Patchurri so it doesn't grow to an inconvenient size.
[x] Let Patchurri borrow the first spellbook and translating dictionary for itself and its children. Rachel can join in the study if it wants.
[x] Work on the replacement of golem parts such as claws, swords, and fangs with metal counterparts that can electrify.
-[x] Or, if the golems are already metal, the electrification of said parts.
[x] Meeting time.

We don't have anything to talk with Tewi about. And even if we did, taking her along to meet our boss is stupid.

I'd prefer to test the magical skill of all the Patchouli (and part-Patchouli types) at once, if only because we'd only have to explain everything once. We probably need time for them to peruse the starting spellbook, too. I'm gonna predict that the non-intelligent Patchoulis are crap at magic, but science requires us to check.
>> No. 51443
>>51442
Random chatter on events, news and such do exist. Hell, she came here today and we should just avoid talking to her all day? Also, we had Tewi and Marisa last time and I Dumbledore didn't care. If he asks, we can always say she has a good insight on people and wanted her opinion.
>> No. 51444
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.

this move on the the next day please.
>> No. 51445
>>51444
Please write better, it makes you less ambiguous.

Do you mean make lesson plans, then do nothing until the next day? Or make lesson plans first thing tomorrow?

Either way, I can't really say I agree with your proposal.
>> No. 51446
[x] Prepare some rough lesson plans.
[x] Chat with Tewi. Ask her if she would like to make another trip to the outside tomorrow or later today.
[x] Meeting time.

Gotta keep that luck bonus up.
>> No. 51449
[x] Prepare some rough lesson plans.
[x] Chat with Tewi. Ask her if she would like to make another trip to the outside tomorrow or later today.
[x] Meeting time.

I wonder how Marisa and Alice would take it if they caught Tewi kissing Patchy. Or the rest of the SDM for that matter.
>> No. 51451
I sure hope Kahi doesn't let you guys get away with "prepare some rough lesson plans".

We need an Anon-sensei to draw up an actual, prototype lesson plan, to be worked on collectively.
>> No. 51462
Isn't that what we're going to talk with Lupin for? Getting ideas from a previous defense instructor to help us solidify our lesson plans?
>> No. 51465
>>51451
Oh God, you seem actually serious about this.

Let me say this clearly: you have no goddamn idea how huge the task actually is if we had to fill in the details ourselves. Besides, it's not like we have the details of the book we've selected for the class, so details are kind of impossible to write anyway.

>>51462
Nothing wrong with deciding what we want to do in general and then modifying that plan with Lupin's information.
>> No. 51466
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.
[x] Bribery for Tewi.
[x] Examine Rachel, Patchurri, and possibly the rest of the P-patterns' magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Create a collar for Patchurri so it doesn't grow to an inconvenient size.
[x] Let Patchurri borrow the first spellbook and translating dictionary for itself and its children. Rachel can join in the study if it wants.
[x] Work on the replacement of golem parts such as claws, swords, and fangs with metal counterparts that can electrify.
-[x] Or, if the golems are already metal, the electrification of said parts.
[x] Meeting time.

>>51446
I like the way you think. That's pretty much the only reason we have to interact with Tewi right now. Or in most situations.
>> No. 51467
File 132983339529.jpg- (304.33KB , 1000x1500 , 862e81b79f17d3824f25a8735d50146f.jpg ) [iqdb]
51467
>>51466
Speak for yourself. She's the best character so far.
>> No. 51469
>>51467
Be that as it may, I don't really see Patchy as the type to engage in social interactions without a goal in mind. But whatever. If other people's views of Patchy are different, that's what voting is for.
>> No. 51477
>>51465
> Nothing wrong with deciding what we want to do in general and then modifying that plan with Lupin's information.
Indeed. Having at least a rough idea of what we're going to do, will make it much easier to have a productive conversation with Lupin. We might even be able to ask specific questions, instead of a general "hey, you, tell me stuff!" kind of thing! It's just being prepared.
>> No. 51484
So Reisen's gun is a gun with Avada Kedabra's magical bypass shtick and Rachel the newborn Yukkuri is better at magic than eleven years old hp wizards. Awesome.
>> No. 51486
Lunarian corps, yo! After that wakeup with Yukari invasion they would be silly not to invest some thought into such things.
And HP wizards are joke compared to stuff born in high magic environment of Gensoukyou, so maybe yukkuri patterned after magician being capable of, more or less, cantrips isn't that unbelivable...
>> No. 51487
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.
[x] Bribery for Tewi.
[x] Examine Rachel, Patchurri, and possibly the rest of the P-patterns' magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Create a collar for Patchurri so it doesn't grow to an inconvenient size.
[x] Let Patchurri borrow the first spellbook and translating dictionary for itself and its children. Rachel can join in the study if it wants.

[x] Meeting time.

Removed superfluous golem improvement because if they can hit a HP creature with their claws, electrification is probably either unnecessary (squishy wizards) or useless (Dementors).
>> No. 51489
>>51487
Well, there's Fire Crabs with their protective -and yet quite likely conductive- shell, the Streeler, which is basically a giant snail ripe for the zapping, and the many, many acromantulae in the forest. Not to mention Gensokyan youkai.

All that aside, electrification adds power to mere scratches, turning an almost completely dodged attack into one that could still still inflict reasonable damage or stun the target long enough for the next one to hit.
>> No. 51490
[x] placate Alice, do not feel up to taking on another magician. Especially before our meeting.
[x] Create a rough sketch of our lesson plan
[x] Continue to test Rachel's magical potential.
>> No. 51498
[x] Test Patchurri's magical skill.
[x] Chat with Tewi. Ask if she's interested in the meeting while you're at it.
>> No. 51503
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.
[x] Don't talk with Tewi
[x] Examine Rachel, Patchurri, and possibly the rest of the P-patterns' magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Create a collar for Patchurri so it doesn't grow to an inconvenient size.
[x] Let Patchurri borrow the first spellbook and translating dictionary for itself and its children. Rachel can join in the study if it wants.
[x] Work on the replacement of golem parts such as claws, swords, and fangs with metal counterparts that can electrify.
-[x] Or, if the golems are already metal, the electrification of said parts.
[x] Meeting time.

Can talk with Tewi later. Right now science.
>> No. 51504
Where did the collar info come from anyway? I see nothing about it in the thread for sidequest. And if you say City Quest, then the vote for it is not valid. Only works if Patchouli know about it in this story.
>> No. 51506
File 132998067327.jpg- (61.70KB , 448x473 , Badwrongfun.jpg ) [iqdb]
51506
>>51504
>> No. 51509
>>51506
So putting yukkuris in collar to stop them from growing is supposed to be fun?
>> No. 51510
>>51509
Well, I more meant the part where he told us what we could and couldn't vote for.
>> No. 51511
>>51510
But it makes sense. If you're voting for a character to act on information they don't know about, that's metagaming. And if you're planning to metagame an interactive story...for fuck's sake, bro.
>> No. 51514
So how long does it take is to check somebody's magical potential? It didn't take long for Mitsuru (>>48251):
>You hold out a hand and very deliberately wait for Mitsuru to place her own in it. Then you invoke both the Sun and Moon, and reach out to inspect her in ways you much doubt she has ever been seen before, or ever shall again. She feels your inspection, of course, and seems to understand, baring herself willingly as you search.
>After a moment you withdraw.
>> No. 51519
[x] Make rough mental lesson plans.
[x] Don't talk with Tewi.
[x] Examine Rachel, Patchurri, and possibly the rest of the P-patterns' magical ability, with an eye to whether they could possibly ever pose a threat to you magically. No need to tell them that, though.
[x] Create a collar for Patchurri so it doesn't grow to an inconvenient size.
[x] Let Patchurri borrow the first spellbook and translating dictionary for itself and its children. Rachel can join in the study if it wants.
[x] Work on the replacement of golem parts such as claws, swords, and fangs with metal counterparts that can electrify.
-[x] Or, if the golems are already metal, the electrification of said parts.
[x] Meeting time.
>> No. 51521
File 133011451074.jpg- (273.79KB , 795x1000 , 1eee978c11968c4575009315d70177794fe8127f.jpg ) [iqdb]
51521
Well, you see no reason to pamper Margatroid. In the heart of another Magician's seat of power, threat to ones life and limb is only to be expected. You have more important things to do than console the puppeteer for her regrettable lack of wariness and lowering of her guard.

You pass quickly through the penned P-patterns, not feeling the need to stop and play, but taking just long enough for you to test your suspicions of magical capability. These things are based strongly after yourself, after all.

The majority, you detect only the faintest of sparks within. If provided ample opportunity and initiative, something might grow from there, certainly, but it was mostly down to their existence in a magically rich environment that the spark existed at all, and had not already long since guttered out.

Rachel, by comparison, is something akin to a tiny match-light. Dwarfing her siblings by far, certainly, but not what you would consider strongly promising, and certainly not on the same level as a randomly selected student from the school. Simple things, such as in the first tome, she would likely be able to grasp easily enough, with some personal effort, where all but the most incompetent of students would find them totally effortless. Matters would, you suspect, scale rapidly up afterwards from there.

Patchurri, however, the original one... you suspect it would actually be roughly on the same scale as those students, surprisingly enough, give or take a small measure, as its own reading is like a bright lantern to Rachel's dim and flickering candlelight.

You initially have the urge to collar them both, or mark them somehow, in a display of -mineminemine this belongs to me and none other- the natural possessiveness inherent to Magicians. Definitely, neither of them have any significant chance of reaching your level, or that of the other Magicians of Gensokyo, but in the sense of a servant or pet bound to your will and direction, either would be respectable enough, despite the misfortune of what they were born as. Rachel's lesser ability would, you suspect, be partially made up for by the natural flight and your unconfirmed theory of some measure of R-pattern regenerative capability, whereas the parent is now, and for the long-stretching foreseeable future, entirely ground-bound and vulnerable to personal harm.

You restrain yourself from the impulse, however. There's no need for such things just yet, and suddenly branding things with your personal mark, or any activities of that nature, would alert the other Magicians present that there might be something of vague interest in these two specimens. It isn't that you suspect they would try to steal them away for their own interests, or attempt to destroy them in order to spite you, except that, yes, that is exactly what you suspect them of.

You spend your time chatting with Tewi, to redirect attention from your previous actions, though you only pay half of your attention to the matter at best. First year students... possibly you will have to drive home the fact that there are things they cannot match up to on their own, yet, to instill within them the healthy realization that they will, at times, have to flee from battle. You may have to make some sort of personal showing, here.

... Ah, yes, Tewi is interested in the meeting, as it happens. Though she seems just as pleased with the idea of visiting anywhere outside. Alice has rudely interjected herself into the conversation to make mildly biting remarks about your employability, as well. You question when the last time was where she enjoyed gainful employment which was not directly related to children's entertainment, and return more of your attention to your thoughts.

Second year, they should probably have learned enough about things in order to make some sort of showing against reasonable opponents. A group of fairies, for example. Though depending on the fairies own level of capability, a small group may be suitable opposition for first-year level students as well. Highly variable. You quickly scale up through difficulty levels.

Pseudo-dragons, of course, are dismissed entirely from the scale, as well as basilisks, and anything that you have read of which bears some sort of mystical instant-kill effect or the property of consuming souls. You somehow doubt that Albus' jovial lack of interest in the specifics and dangers of your teaching program would stretch quite so far as to cover such things. Come to think of it, you might return the false dragons to a list of possibilities, as they can be rendered unconscious by a concerted attempt by a number of adults, so an entire school-wide class of seventh-year students should, in theory at least, be perfectly capable of this.

Centaurs, by contrast, will not be physically included in any classes involving young maidens. Or, for that matter, young men that can be mistaken for young maidens in poor light. Lecture and theory alone, there.

You are uncertain where you would locate oversized spiders, apart from the obvious location of your own library, sleeping off the previous night's drinks, but the wizards' Acromantulae, as well as Manticores and Chimerae would likely be suitable enough for sixth years to test their abilities against. The Sphinx is actually relatively harmless, you have concluded, so long as you keep your head and have a good grasp of riddles, and so derail the confrontation into a long conversation over tea. Likely suitable for somewhere between second and fifth, in that respect.

... You note that you have automatically made your plans in terms of 'battle scenarios', but suppose that it's good enough. It is the self-defense class, after all, how to defend yourself is certainly a requirement of the course. And definitely, the most apt measure to test the students against would be themselves: divide them up into two or more equal groups and test them in a pitched battle between one another with little time to prepare.

... Margatroid is displaying a pointed sort of curiosity towards visiting the outside, most specifically towards functioning as an outside observor to your meeting, similar to Tewi. You aren't certain about this course of action, introducing another element to the possibly sensitive meeting. You rebuff it subtly, but not firmly, having not come to any conclusion just yet.

In any case, it is about time to leave. Not quite the time of the meeting, but to assure you have arrived slightly early, it would be best to leave sooner.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51522
[] Develop electro-claws for ...
Don't worry, I'm joking. Shit to do now.

[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Tell Alice to get out of your library. Tell her with magic if you need to.
-[x] Take Tewi along, you guess.

No fucking way we're gonna let Alice have a chance to complain about how we threw a javelin at her. And we certainly can't leave her unsupervised in our library.
>> No. 51524
>>51522
Allow me to propose a better idea for getting Alice out.

[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. The hard way if necessary, but it better not be near your books.
--[x] If Alice still ask to come, ask why exactly you should let her follow you and potentially let her ruin the meeting with a ill-placed comment. Perhaps you can gain something from this.
-[x] Take Tewi along.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies and the tea.

Added second part on Alice because hey, we could gain from this.
>> No. 51525
[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. The hard way if necessary, but it better not be near your books.
-[x] Take Tewi along.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies and the tea.

Dunno if it's a good idea to suggest to Margatroid she COULD mess up the whole meeting. After all, we apparently expect her to do things simply to spite us.
>> No. 51526
[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. Taking her along would be unpolite.
--[x] Tewi is never unpolite, though. You two might have to pretend she's executing some duty for you. The possibilities are limitless: magical bodyguard, scry detector, nurse, etc.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies.
>> No. 51527
Ah, the lazy spider is still asleep. I had wondered where she'd gotten to.

[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. Taking her along would be unpolite.
--[x] Tewi is never unpolite, though. You two might have to pretend she's executing some duty for you. The possibilities are limitless: magical bodyguard, scry detector, nurse, etc.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies.
>> No. 51529
>>51525
Well, the idea would have been to set consequences she would have to agree to respect if she messed it up, but I suppose there will be more occasions. It's probably more about going Outside than the meeting anyway.
>> No. 51530
[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. Imposing upon the host with uninvited guests would be impolite, especially ones who become hysterical at the slightest provocation.
-[x] Tewi, however, has proven her ability to retain at least some sense of decorum while in the company of others, and so may come along.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies.
>> No. 51531
[x] Meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. Taking her along would be unpolite.
--[x] If she fails to understand "leave" tell her in the universal language of fire.
-[x] Tewi is never unpolite, though and may actually come in helpful. Invite her along once Alice is out of earshot.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies.
>> No. 51532
Alice is a magician too. I fail to see how worse it is to take her than it is to take Tewi. Well, as long as she don't opinate about the Outside's magic.
>> No. 51533
>>51532
It's because she is a Magician. Not the profession, the species. They don't trust one another at ALL. At least, Patchy doesn't trust them.
>> No. 51534
>>51533
True, but it might also serve as a nice way of getting rid of a potential rival, even if only for a short while. By, say, suggesting she be approached as a Teacher should circumstance mean you're unable or unwilling to teach any further.
>> No. 51536
[x] Meeting. Go to it.

Just this. I'm not convinced that taking a rabbit to a meeting of wolves is a great idea, and I'm not saying that because I'd be worried about her.
>> No. 51538
[x] The meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Have Marisa show Alice the way out. The hard way if necessary, but it better not be near your books.
-[x] Take Tewi along.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies and the tea.
>> No. 51539
[x] The meeting. Go to it.
-[x] Alice may go along, but ensure that she will act as a strict observer and nothing more. (Who knows, maybe she may find something interesting during the meeting - and another viewpoint about this gig wouldn't hurt.)
-[x] Take Tewi along.
-[x] Don't forget to take some fairies and the tea.
>> No. 51540
Any votes that propose to include Alice and/or Marisa and/or Tewi should include precautions against Dumbledore and other wizzards legilimency.
Patchouli potentialy would need to make more anti-Satori ribbons.
>> No. 51541
>>51536
Remember the second thread, on our way to see Eirin with Alistair with us? Tewi was just fine.

>>51540
Great thinking. Adding to my vote (>>51524).

[x]Warn Tewi against mind reading. See if you can enchant something for her and warn against prolonged eye contact.
>> No. 51543
>>51541
Phft.

Anyone who tries to read Tewi's mind deserves what they get.
>> No. 51544
[x] Meeting. Go to it.
[x] Don't forget to take some fairies and the tea.
>> No. 51545
The odds of encountering a manticore, sphinx, or fairy in an actual combat setting probably ins't high enough to devote class time to teaching about their respective defense strategies.
>> No. 51546
Oh my. Patchurri with student-level magic...

I want to see her in the DA if it exists. That would be hilarious.

"Congratulations! You were just out-dueled by a sentient pastry!"
>> No. 51548
It occurs to me that, even if Rachel's potential is not immediately the largest, we have ways to improve on that.

She won't go very far, so even lending her some of our power would make sense. It's not like we can use most of it anyway, most days.

Because let's be honest, you want to see the students beaten by a sentient pastry, especially one as huggable as Rachel.
>> No. 51549
>>51548
I don't. Especially when logic say that any kind of spell that creates some sort of impact may just change her into a smear all over the ground.

Be real guys. They're too fragile for that.
>> No. 51551
>>51549

Defensive magic is implicit to the Touhou universe's magic system. The most obvious example is Alice's huge increase in HP when she opened her grimoire in Mystic Square (which was before Spellcards): if the grimoire only contained offensive magic, her HP would stay as that of a Stage 3 boss.
>> No. 51555
>>51549
Logic?

This.. IS... GENSOKYOU!
>> No. 51557
>>51555
Great, another one. For your information, it's Gensokyo or Gensoukyou. Not a mix of both.

>>51551
Go reread the bit about Rachel's magic power. Would she be able to substain such magic?

Answer: No.

Seriously, why the hell do you guys want to send FRAGILE beings to fight? Patchurri can kill herself if she makes too much effort. Rachel is still about a week old and will die from one good hit. No matter what you guys think, it would still be 1 versus about 40. You use them out to test the students, they die.
>> No. 51558
>>51546
Leave them home. They're too valuable to risk with Humans in the Outside.
>> No. 51560
[x] Meeting. Alice. Tewi.
[x] Show Patchurri the spellbooks.

Patchurri can teach herself with little to no help. Rachel might not like being upstaged by her father, but... eh. She can deal.
>> No. 51561
>>51560

Good point. If we have to deal with them, at least let's deal with the least annoying of them in a potentially amusing way.

Please modify >>51530 to also include:
[x] Show Patchurri the spellbooks.
>> No. 51562
I can get behind having Patchurri learn magic while we're gone, but remember we don't want to do anything that will single her out as interesting while the other magicians are here. Because they're assholes.

I am >>51522. If it's not too much trouble, could you please add
[x] Show Patchurri the spellbooks if you can do so in a way that makes the giving and studying either not noticed or not thought remarkable by your magician guests.
to my vote?
>> No. 51563
You could, you know, wait until they've left before starting. Nothing is forcing you to DO IT RIGHT NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW after all.
>> No. 51564
>>51563
It'd be a waste of Patchurri's time. ... What does she do in her 'spare' time, anyway? Read?
>> No. 51565
File 133032012469.jpg- (93.26KB , 350x350 , SoILikeBellyRubs.jpg ) [iqdb]
51565
"Okay!" Kirisame says, conveniently arriving right when you require her. "So, I introduced them, and-"

"Yes, that's very nice." You interrupt.

"... You didn't even wait for me to finish telling you about-"

"It will keep for later." You point out. "For now, I would like you to escort miss Margatroid to the door."

You pause to consider the way the puppeteer has stiffened up a little at the clear dismissal, and continue.

"If required, you may be as enthusiastic in your assistance as you wish." You say, pointedly. "You may find it... cathartic, I believe."

"Hey, now that's something I can get behind, right now." Marisa says, grin widening as he turns her eyes towards Alice, seeming to almost hope that the puppeteer causes trouble. You suspect that Margatroid now mildly regrets her prior impolitic needling.

"No need to be hasty." Margatroid grumbles. "I'm perfectly capable of seeing myself out."

"Yeah, but that ways not as fun~" Marisa replies idly.

"Guess we're going, then~" Tewi says, hopping up to her feet.

There isn't a moment's hesitation, so absolutely certain is her confidence that she's coming along to the meeting with you. She's not incorrect, of course, but she could have waited for you to tell her so.

"Yes. A moment, though..." You say, stepping out quickly to flag down the nearest handful of maids and drag them along. The tea will need preparation and serving, of course.

In spite of being quite early to the meeting, Albus has surprised you by having arrived a little earlier as well, along with what you presume is Lupin and... a large Dog. No, a large not-dog. Curious. In any case, Lupin and Alistair aren't quite going for one another's throats, primarily because Lupin is doing his best to be very small and unassuming in the home of the other werewolf, and keeping Albus more or less between them, or at least closer, at all times.

The not-dog 'whuff's deeply as you approach, and heads turn towards you and your escort.

"Miss, before anything else, you should know that-" Alistair starts.

"The dog isn't, yes, I am well aware." You say flatly, eying it thoughtfully as you analyze it as best you can. "Something else in the shape of a dog. Human?"

"Er, yes." Alistair replies.

"Curious. I am, of course, more familiar with beasts which choose to appear in the skin of men to walk among them than the reverse, but far be it from me to disparage ones personal choices and aspirations in life. If all that is desired is a worn rug, a bowl of bones, and the occasional belly-rub, then indeed, the form of a hound could be considered ideal. In any case, I was not expecting you so early, Albus." You say dryly.

The not-Dog looks like it isn't quite sure whether to laugh or find itself insulted at your appraisal, but Albus lets a quiet chuckle free.

"Oh, happily there was a slight error with my timepiece, and once I had arrived I thought I might assist in tidying up a bit, as it was brought to my attention that young Alistair might not be quite prepared to recieve guests." Albus says. "It seems, however, that this shall not in fact be required."

"You will find that I am quite capable of making preparations on even the shortest of notice, for the most unexpected of locations." You say, careful not to snap the words and keep your tone polite. "Tea." You continue, directing your speech now to the fae, as you point in the direction of the kitchens. They are, at least, competent for this.

You are reminded with that instruction that the cutlery and china, such as it is, will likely not be at all sufficient for the task. A pot was brought along, of course, to prepare the tea with, but you will likely have to craft a tea-service to match the number of individuals present. Silver is, of course, not a material that would be wise given the afflictions of two of the number, and you are uncertain if Albus' second guest should prefer a teacup or simply have his portion poured into a shallow dish on the floor. As a good host you must consider the preferences of the guest, naturally.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51566
I wish I could think of a longer list but clearly step one is:

[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he takes his tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.
>> No. 51567
>>51566
No worry, it seems pretty good. Koakuma and the rest of the fairies are probably resting somewhere else, so we may as well just portal back everyone at once when this meeting is done with.

Apart from asking Alistair if he would mind keeping quiet about someone who most probably have the wrong sort of renown in case Not-dog want a teacup, there's not much else to add. But I think there's no real need to add to Alistair's plate. If Not-dog wanted to come that bad, then he can stay as he is.

[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he takes his tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.
>> No. 51568
[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he takes his tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[x] If tea arrives and current china is not sufficient craft additional pieces.
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.
>> No. 51569
[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he takes his tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[x] If tea arrives and current china is not sufficient craft additional pieces, nothing too fancy or too plain and obviously not silver.
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.
>> No. 51570
[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he takes his tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[X] If tea arrives and current china is not sufficient craft additional pieces.
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.

This should cover it.
>> No. 51572
File 133034809580.jpg- (26.44KB , 347x201 , yup (2).jpg ) [iqdb]
51572
[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he or she takes his or her tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[X] If tea arrives and current china is not sufficient craft additional pieces.
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.


How do we know the dog is male?
>> No. 51573
Pro tip: dogs dont wear clothes.
>> No. 51574
[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he or she takes his or her tea in a cup or a shallow [X]Introductions [X] If tea arrives and current china is not sufficient craft additional pieces. [X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.

Depending on how friendly the dog is, it can be quite obvious. Also magic senses help a fair bit.
>> No. 51575
[X] Ask the Not-Dog if he or she takes his or her tea in a cup or a shallow bowl
[X]Introductions
[X] If tea arrives and current china is not sufficient craft additional pieces.
[X]Discuss how much previous Defense instructors have (or haven't) actually prepared the children to defend themselves with your predecessor.

Sirius, is that you?
>> No. 51576
>>51575
Who else do you think it is? Of course it's him.
>> No. 51581
>>51576

Rethorical/Sarcastic question.
>> No. 51585
File 133038706450.jpg- (17.17KB , 300x300 , met.jpg ) [iqdb]
51585
>>51576

If I buy a copy of your book, will you sign it for me?
>> No. 51586
>>51585
Very funny. By your point, you may as well have everyone here sign it because everyone know characters the MC doesn't. Knowing it and using it on votes are two different matters.
>> No. 51590
...Guys? I just remembered we forgot the yukkuri Alice and the babies that were due last night. Considering it will be about a day when we'll be back from the meeting since they were born, either traces of cannibalism or dead babies await us once we check the matter, unless someone else took care of them. Not that I really care, but we may as well clean the mess and do something else with the Alice if she's still alive.
>> No. 51592
>>51590
Marisa wanted to tell us something when we weren't interested.
Probably everything worked fine or she wouldn't be so bubbly.
>> No. 51602
File 13304641642.jpg- (312.58KB , 619x865 , 02cd406d1947ad9d2d33d44bdff8c8301107abfe.jpg ) [iqdb]
51602
"So tell me, Mr. Hound, how do you take your tea? If a cup is not suitable, then some manner of dish to suit your purposes can be found, I am sure."

The not-Dog lets loose a strained wheezing and barking noise that sounds of equal parts amusement and irritation. It's only a bit down the hall to a suitable room, and, deliberately, without thinking twice about it, you calmly seat yourself at the head of the table. Albus doesn't seem much distressed by this, and after only a moment's pause Alistair gracefully takes a less prominent seat, just past Tewi's own place right at your side. The other werewolf seems, somehow, more than a little offended by your presumption despite his having no say in the matter, and it seems to take a moment for the not-Dog to grasp all the inherent subtleties of the seating arrangement.

The not-Dog flows, if a description must be put to the action, upwards and into the form of a rather scruffy, unhealthy looking man in old and faded robes as he takes his own place, all previous amusement seeming to be gone, leaving only the mild irritation. Nevertheless, the first move and social maneuver of the beginning game is yours, tiring as the coming exchanges may be.

"Albus, I am familiar with." You say, ignoring the slight stiffening of shoulders as you use your employers given name rather than that of his family, or any of his seemingly numerous titles. It may be somewhat rude of you. You don't care, and more importantly, have to make a point early on that you do not care, if you wish to avoid being bound by the ties of political maneuvering indefinitely. "You, I would presume to be the Remus Lupin, former Professor, which I have heard of. And you, Mr. Hound? Do you have a name to call you by?"

"I think 'Hound' might be as good a name as any, at times." The man rasps with a slight smile. "But as for the name I was given at birth, I am the infamous Sirius Black. You may have heard of me." He finishes, with a deliberate affectation of vanity.

"I can assure you, I have not." You say, making your own polite disinterest plain. Black seems somewhat startled by this at first, and then amused.

"I am afraid that young Sirius has some level of notoriety to his name, due to... certain errors in legal proceedings and charges which are, at this time, impossible to correct and properly lay to rest." Albus says calmly.

"I am, you see, a dangerous convict and outlaw." Black drawls, dividing his attention between a sly grin sent your way and a thoughtful, uncertain look, directed at Tewi.

"Charming." You reply, turning your attention to focus instead on Lupin. Black has the gall to pout morosely at your dismissal of him.... You ignore that as well.

"Tell me... ah." You pause, as a fae flits in.

"The tea is ready." She says quietly. "Should we lay out the current... tableware?" She asks, as Alistair pretends not to be paying attention. Thin and dented tin cups are not, you suspect, a point of personal pride.

"No, I don't believe that will be neccessary." You say, carefully crafting suitable china. You have some vague suspicions that Alistair will pawn it, should it later prove to no longer be necessary. It doesn't really matter, though, as this is nothing spectactular. No gold trinkets studded with gemstones this time.

The tea is served, and you return your attention to discussion.

"Ah, yes. So, Remus, I am curious about what you would say regarding the current crop of students. As one who has seen to their teaching personally." You say, testing the tea.

Albus frowns into his cup at the first taste. Clearly the flavor is suspiciously familiar to him. After a moment, he withdraws a small box of sugar cubes from within his bright robes and drops several into his cup before offering it about. Remus takes one, neither you nor Black partake.

"The students... I would say they perform remarkably well, given somewhat... well. Spotty education." Remus says, awkwardly. "When instructors are hard to come by, it seems that you don't have much choice in what you can get, even if you have to give the position to a Werewolf."

"Or, as it happens, someone who's talent does not in the end match up to their resume." Albus interjects, as Remus... oh dear. The fellow is actually beginning to mope about his condition right at the table, before Black nudges him out of it. "Regrettable, of course. I had rather high hopes for young Gilderoy. It was somewhat startling to be dissapointed..."

"I had been led to believe that there had been some unfortunately less than productive spans of scholastic periods, of late." You point out. "I was more interested in what you might offer as personal opinions and recommendations."

"Ah, recommendations, well... I've heard good things regarding Trimble's 'Guide to Self-Protection'. If I'm not mistaken, it was used for classes throughout all years both last year, under... the current instructor of the time, and four years ago, two years before my tenure, under... was it Quirrell? Yes, Quirinus Quirrell. I met him in passing a few times before then, I don't really recall..."

"Sadly, I am afraid that Professor Quirrell did not survive his period as Defence instructor." Albus replies, sipping his tea thoughtfully.

"... Is that the case? A shame. I suppose that's why I hadn't seen him since." Remus replies. "But in any case, I personally prefer Arsenius Jigger's 'Essential Defence Against the Dark Arts', though... I suppose I must admit that it is mostly due to my own personal preference for study on creatures over curses. As for personal thoughts... Miss Granger never seems to fail to impress, you can expect her to be right at the top of the class, perhaps jockeying for position with Mister Potter."

"Duly noted." You say, filing away the book names as things to be noted on a list of supplemental reading, though they aren't in either case a match for your text, so far as you can tell. "And perhaps in a wider scope than that?"

Lupin looks blank for a moment, then uncomfortably sheepish.

"Ah, well... I'm afraid it has been a little while, and I only thoroughly recall more spectacular things at the moment. The rest... rather blur together, I am afraid. One almost expects for Ravenclaws to do exceptionally well scholastically, for example, and the rest of it..."

"I see." You say flatly.

Disappointing. It seems you will have to consider more specific questions in order to wrest any information of significant use from the werewolf. But then, that is what the meeting is for, after all. As well, if there is anything to bring up to Albus, now is most likely going to be the best time for the near future... You had some thought of discussing building expansion or creation, and if you recall correctly, some thought of entertaining theatrics to be discussed, though the details escape you at the moment.

"Ah, yes." Albus says, seeming to recall something. "Dear Mrs Weasley was kind enough to prepare a small luncheon. Just a moment, allow me to expand it again..."

"What, Molly's sandwiches?" Black asks, with interest. "I'll have one with roast beef. Well, unless she's sent along a mincemeat pie, then I'll have that."

"Nothing with meat in it for me. I'll keep to the tea." Tewi says, holding off on digging into the mysteriously disproportionate depths of the picnic basket that Albus has just tugged out of his pocket.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51605
[x] Grab a sandwich, a hungry magician is a grumpy magician, we can't have a grumpy Patchy right now.

Ask Albus...
-[x] Details on similar subjects and how far they reach. Would dealing with dangerous magical creatures such as trolls come under defense or magical creatures, for example.
-[x] How discipline is typically handled.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply the hear of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.

Ask Both...
-[x] I have heard that the fame of Potter may have influenced his grades, what is your take on this?
-[x] More generally do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree. Remus noted Potter excellent marks but is other grades hardly point to a scholer, and when it comes to exam time would this warp expectations.

[x] Make it very clear that while you will do all you can to keep the portals from becoming a danger, some things are just out of your league and highly independent and thus anything that walks out is not our fault.
-[x] On that note many things from there are MUCH more powerful then they look, and causing serious harm to them may bring even greater danger upon the school, yet most threats can be reasoned with.
--[x] Give a description of residents the school may do well just leaving to you,regardless of actions. (The Scarlet's, Yukka, Suika etc:)

That's it for now
>> No. 51606
[x] Give a scathing indictment of the standard textbooks.

Worthless books are worthless!
>> No. 51608
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well. If they turn out to be horrible, you can always dispose of it discreetly with magic.
[x] Albus seems to recognize the tea, and unless you misremember, he and Lucius are on opposite political factions. Be prepared to reassure him that it was just for acceptable tea.
[x] Details on similar subjects and how far they reach. Would dealing with dangerous magical creatures such as trolls come under DADA or CMC, for example?
[x] How discipline is typically handled.
[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point?
[x] Where does Albus want us to put our lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials?
-[x] For that matter, does anybody else have any suggestions?
[x] Make it very clear that while you will do all you can to keep the portals from becoming a danger, there are many beings more powerful than you in your home.
-[x] They might want to get you if they think something came through the portal, as it can be quite hard to tell the difference.

Harry Potter's one student.
>> No. 51610
Jesus, guys...

>>51605
Albus 1 and 2 have already been answered. He didn't mind much a chimera, of all things. He also already told us about how discipline is handled and better information will be gained from asking teachers I think.

As for portals, we already told Albus much about it and he already said he'll leave decisions to us in this matter. Remus and Sirius have no reason to be informed since they're not actual teachers.

[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well. If they turn out to be horrible, you can always dispose of it discreetly with magic.

Ask Albus...
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply the hear of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] If political matters come up, make it clear you intend to be neutral and nothing else.

Anyway, nothing else to note and I left Harry alone since it would be best to deal with him in person I think. But I repeat, it's pointless to talk about portals now. Wait for the actual teachers for this at least.
>> No. 51611
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well. If they turn out to be horrible, you can always dispose of it discreetly with magic.

Ask Albus...
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply the hear of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] If political matters come up, make it clear you intend to be neutral and nothing else.

Yea was waiting to vote since the first guy's questions sucked.
>> No. 51614
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well. If they turn out to be horrible, you can always dispose of it discreetly with magic.

Ask Albus...
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply the hear of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] If political matters come up, make it clear you intend to be neutral and nothing else.


I might want to ask what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other. Remilia is almost certainly going to pop up just to prove she can, Koishi might do it for the lulz, Kanako trying to make converts, etc.
>> No. 51615
>>51608 here, please add
[x] If political matters come up, make it clear you intend to be neutral in matters that don't relate to your teaching position.
to my vote, if it's not too much trouble.
>> No. 51616
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well. If they turn out to be horrible, you can always dispose of it discreetly with magic.

Ask Albus...
[X]what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other. Remilia is almost certainly going to pop up just to prove she can, Koishi might do it for the lulz, Kanako trying to make converts, etc.
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply the hear of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] If political matters come up, make it clear you intend to be neutral and nothing else.
>> No. 51619
I should mention that so far, the only possible guest speaker is Remilia. Everyone else mentionend at this point are problems that need to be sent away.
>> No. 51622
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well.

Ask Albus...
[x]what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other.
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply hearing of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

Let's not declare complete neutrality right now. It might be too soon, and there is always the possibility of Patchouli having to deal with politics bullshit herself. Or Remilia, maybe. Anyway, her alliance to Hogwarts/Dumbledore is supposedly needed, since, you know, he hired her and Patchy is going to get some nice books.
>> No. 51623
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well. If they turn out to be horrible, you can always dispose of it discreetly with magic.

Ask Albus...
[X]what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other.
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply hearing of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?
>> No. 51629
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well.

Ask Albus...
[x]what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other.
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply hearing of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] Do not make unnecessary political statements.
>> No. 51630
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well.

Ask Albus...
[X]what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other.
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply hearing of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] If political matters come up, make it clear you have no interest in their politics.

Of course if anyone or anything tries to harm the students or school it'd be our duty to help prevent it if necessary.
>> No. 51633
[x] It'd probably be polite to consume a sandwich as well.

Ask Albus...
[x]what the policy is for guest speakers later, as there is almost certainly going to be an unscheduled appearance put in by someone or other.
-[x] Where does Albus want us to put the lecture hall, and is there anything he'd like included in the design, such as a storage room for lecture materials? Chances are quite low that you'll use it again after this year.
-[x] Is interference from parents, the ministry or various other school groups likely to be an issue at any point, and how much danger would be considered "acceptable" by them, if applicable, for we may be planning to bring in creature for the students to fight. Creatures we can control or instantly dispose of, but simply hearing of some things may cause alarms to ring.

Ask Remus...
-[x] You said you had a particular preference for teaching about creatures, how well was this received by relevant parties.
-[x] If you are to ask for cooperation between groups, how well would this go and what could motivate them to put aside differences?

Ask Both...
-[x] Do you think the teaching style may have affected the grades of the students to a degree?

[x] Do not make unnecessary political statements.
>> No. 51634
You chew a sandwich, slowly and thoughtfully. It is made up of a great majority of shredded meat cooked in some manner of sauce. Flavor and texture indicate it is most likely pork. Even with the sauce, however, the sandwich comes off as a little dry and takes some chewing to swallow. Not inedible, at least, though there are any number of things you would rather consume. You decide not to say this aloud, however, in the interest of politeness. You swallow the last of it before moving along.

"Do you believe that the unusual situation... fluctuating and potentially wildly differing teaching styles... have perhaps affected the outcomes of examinations to some degree? Negatively or positively." You ask, already having a good idea of what the answer will be, but having decided to start the round of questioning here.

"Well... I don't really see how it couldn't." Remus says, seeming mildly surprised. "Since at the very least, there will always be a period of adjustment to the new instructor."

"Happily, however, many students take this as an opportunity to develop particularly strong study habits, particularly among our Badgers and Ravens." Albus says, through a mouthful of sandwich. Left unsaid is how the other two houses' study habits generally fare.

"Of course... I had suspected as much, I will admit. No matter. Tell me, Lupin, were I to require inter-group co-operation between multiple divisions of students, how well would you expect such an endeavor to go?"

Both Remus and Alistair flinch at the thought, you note, while Black looks slightly aghast at the notion. Albus, by contrast, seems to have had his curiosity piqued as he is listening attentively now, seeming pleased, somehow.

"The... least volatile combination is generally to have Hufflepuff paired with Slytherin, as it happens. Not on an individual basis, of course, but as a whole. Unfortunately, Slytherin will then tend to sit back and direct what the Hufflepuffs do, without bothering to clarify things if necessary, or really assisting in any way, if there's any way it can be avoided." Lupin says, carefully. "Unfortunately, this leaves Ravenclaw paired with Gryffindor, from which the results can be catastrophic, particularly in more delicate classes such as Potions. While Ravenclaws take great pride in their more rapid learning, you see, Gryffindors tend to disparage it somewhat, leaving them trying even harder to prove their intellectual superiority and impress their peers. In many cases, through dangerous means that they would generally shy away from, but the Gryffindors only half-listen to the explanations of, and then run with without thinking twice."

Black lets loose a short bark.

"Nothing ever turns out too bad, though." He says dismissively. "Nobody ever gets badly hurt, or anything."

".... Not permanently, no. Madame Pomphrey is a very skilled healer, after all." Lupin says, displaying a more advanced level of caution and wariness than Black seems capable of. "Any damage that gets inflicted is almost always reversible inside of two or three weeks. Presuming that the student in question doesn't decide that they like their new tail, or the third eye, of course, which has been known to happen on rare occasion."

"I see." You say. "And other combinations?"

"Well... you would think that Gryffindor and Hufflepuff would work out well, but it's actually quite terrible in practice." Lupin says, seeming a little more at ease the longer the discussion remains on business matters. "Gryffindors go boldly forward, after all, even when they aren't quite sure what they're actually supposed to be doing. And with Hufflepuff generally having... something of a mild case of hero-worship for the generally more sociable and well regarded house, they tend to go along with whatever the Gryffindors decide to do, no matter what fool idea it is. You would also think that the other two, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, would match up reasonably well. There's the expected power plays and snide remarks, of course. The problem is when they match up too well, I'm afraid. Slytherin will be focusing on nudging Ravenclaw into finding ways to cut corners, or do a thing better or to greater effect for less cost, and Ravenclaw's intellectual pride won't let them back down from the challenge. And sometimes, this works out very well indeed. Other times, you find that you have to relocate to the other side of the castle, while the previously used wing undergoes repairs and maintenance, and classes may be closed for a week or two, until Madame Pomphrey has had a chance to make sure everyone's bits have been put back on properly, and will stay there."

"It all works out fine. Nobody really cares what happens to the Slytherins." Black says lazily, reaching for another sandwich.

"I can assure you, Sirius, that if the ambitious and cunning child of an old, ambitious, and cunning family has to spend a few days in the hospital wing in order to have their legs grown back, people will, in fact, care." Lupin says, frowning.

"Well, they shouldn't." He replies, already munching. "Rotten through and through, every one."

Albus coughs, very deliberately, and Sirius settles down from what looks like it would have built up into a brief but blistering rant over how, apparently, a full quarter of the local magical population was irredeemably wicked from birth or some such nonsense.

"In any case..." Lupin continues. "Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are generally quite a neutral mix. Ravenclaw give the instructions, Hufflepuffs carry them out, and everything generally proceeds very smoothly, unless there is some sort of private vendetta between individuals or there are communication errors. In contrast, matching Gryffindor and Slytherin... I can't really say it works out well, but it surprisingly works much better th
>> No. 51638
File 133064168479.jpg- (249.28KB , 1050x800 , holdontightorwellbelateforclass.jpg ) [iqdb]
51638
You chew a sandwich, slowly and thoughtfully. It is made up of a great majority of shredded meat cooked in some manner of sauce. Flavor and texture indicate it is most likely pork. Even with the sauce, however, the sandwich comes off as a little dry and takes some chewing to swallow. Not inedible, at least, though there are any number of things you would rather consume. You decide not to say this aloud, however, in the interest of politeness. You swallow the last of it before moving along.

"Do you believe that the unusual situation... fluctuating and potentially wildly differing teaching styles... have perhaps affected the outcomes of examinations to some degree? Negatively or positively." You ask, already having a good idea of what the answer will be, but having decided to start the round of questioning here.

"Well... I don't really see how it couldn't." Remus says, seeming mildly surprised. "Since at the very least, there will always be a period of adjustment to the new instructor."

"Happily, however, many students take this as an opportunity to develop particularly strong study habits, particularly among our Badgers and Ravens." Albus says, through a mouthful of sandwich. Left unsaid is how the other two houses' study habits generally fare.

"Of course... I had suspected as much, I will admit. No matter. Tell me, Lupin, were I to require inter-group co-operation between multiple divisions of students, how well would you expect such an endeavor to go?"

Both Remus and Alistair flinch at the thought, you note, while Black looks slightly aghast at the notion. Albus, by contrast, seems to have had his curiosity piqued as he is listening attentively now, seeming pleased, somehow.

"The... least volatile combination is generally to have Hufflepuff paired with Slytherin, as it happens. Not on an individual basis, of course, but as a whole. Unfortunately, Slytherin will then tend to sit back and direct what the Hufflepuffs do, without bothering to clarify things if necessary, or really assisting in any way, if there's any way it can be avoided." Lupin says, carefully. "Unfortunately, this leaves Ravenclaw paired with Gryffindor, from which the results can be catastrophic, particularly in more delicate classes such as Potions. While Ravenclaws take great pride in their more rapid learning, you see, Gryffindors tend to disparage it somewhat, leaving them trying even harder to prove their intellectual superiority and impress their peers. In many cases, through dangerous means that they would generally shy away from, but the Gryffindors only half-listen to the explanations of, and then run with without thinking twice."

Black lets loose a short bark.

"Nothing ever turns out too bad, though." He says dismissively. "Nobody ever gets badly hurt, or anything."

".... Not permanently, no. Madame Pomphrey is a very skilled healer, after all." Lupin says, displaying a more advanced level of caution and wariness than Black seems capable of. "Any damage that gets inflicted is almost always reversible inside of two or three weeks. Presuming that the student in question doesn't decide that they like their new tail, or the third eye, of course, which has been known to happen on rare occasion."

"I see." You say. "And other combinations?"

"Well... you would think that Gryffindor and Hufflepuff would work out well, but it's actually quite terrible in practice." Lupin says, seeming a little more at ease the longer the discussion remains on business matters. "Gryffindors go boldly forward, after all, even when they aren't quite sure what they're actually supposed to be doing. And with Hufflepuff generally having... something of a mild case of hero-worship for the generally more sociable and well regarded house, they tend to go along with whatever the Gryffindors decide to do, no matter what fool idea it is. You would also think that the other two, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, would match up reasonably well. There's the expected power plays and snide remarks, of course. The problem is when they match up too well, I'm afraid. Slytherin will be focusing on nudging Ravenclaw into finding ways to cut corners, or do a thing better or to greater effect for less cost, and Ravenclaw's intellectual pride won't let them back down from the challenge. And sometimes, this works out very well indeed. Other times, you find that you have to relocate to the other side of the castle, while the previously used wing undergoes repairs and maintenance, and classes may be closed for a week or two, until Madame Pomphrey has had a chance to make sure everyone's bits have been put back on properly, and will stay there."

"It all works out fine. Nobody really cares what happens to the Slytherins." Black says lazily, reaching for another sandwich.

"I can assure you, Sirius, that if the ambitious and cunning child of an old, ambitious, and cunning family has to spend a few days in the hospital wing in order to have their legs grown back, people will, in fact, care." Lupin says, frowning.

"Well, they shouldn't." He replies, already munching. "Rotten through and through, every one."

Albus coughs, very deliberately, and Sirius settles down from what looks like it would have built up into a brief but blistering rant over how, apparently, a full quarter of the local magical population was irredeemably wicked from birth or some such nonsense.

"In any case..." Lupin continues. "Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are generally quite a neutral mix. Ravenclaw give the instructions, Hufflepuffs carry them out, and everything generally proceeds very smoothly, unless there is some sort of private vendetta between individuals or there are communication errors. In contrast, matching Gryffindor and Slytherin... I can't really say it works out well, but it surprisingly works much better than the other general options do. There's the expected heated words, overt threats, and generally more subtle attempts at sabotage, but as it happens, the Gryffindors are too busy keeping an eye open for tampering to rush ahead with things unprepared, and the frequent checking and re-checking of matters assures that whatever small mistakes are made are almost always caught and fixed before anything can go too wrong because of them. And Slytherin is generally too busy plotting the downfall of Gryffindor, in such cases, to get particularly... ah, 'creative', with their own work. So things normally proceed exceptionally smoothly, despite all expectations to the contrary. I'm given to understand that professor Snape only teaches double-classes at all with these combinations?" Lupin finished, questioning Albus at the end.

"Ah, yes. After the... sixth? Perhaps seventh complete destruction of his laboratory and classroom, Severus quite put his foot down and became most insistent on those arrangements, for the sake of the general structural integrety of Hoqwarts." Albus said, jovially sipping his tea as though he weren't talking about what sounded like they had to have been fairly large explosions inside of his school.

"Shame Snape wasn't still in there when they went." Black grumbles, though another pointed cough and stern look from Albus silences him once more.

"The group dynamics seem fascinatingly volatile." You say, voice flat as you consider them. "Is there any means you might suggest that would perhaps motivate them to settle down and pursue a common goal before personal interests?"

"The best way is really to make the common goal in their best personal interests." Lupin replies. "You'll find that the students will generally pursue House Points with an unusally single-minded devotion: Rewarding their success with those points generally has good results. Although... the pursuit of those points can lead to some unfortunate situations. Particularly in more volatile student combinations, as I've said."

"I see. And is there any further purpose to these points, some manner of reward that makes their collection worthwile?" you ask.

"Well, the house with the most total points at the end of the year receives the House Cup." Lupin says, with some level of fond pride coating the name of the object. "Which is held in the offices of their Head of House until the next time its awarding is decided, at the end of the next year."

"Ah, I see. Nothing. Very good." You reply, vaguely pleased with the concept. "An unexpectedly psychological tactic, to ensure scholastic drive by endangering no more than the students' personal and collective pride, and offering nothing more than, effectively, temporary and fleeting senses of superiority."

"Er..." Lupin says, staring at you oddly. "Well, performance of the House's team in Quidditch competitions also plays a part in the awarding of House points, and the cup is itself a physical item..."

"Which the Head of House as you have just said, is allowed to hold in trust for a period of time. And not permanently keep. The students themselves, in point of fact, recieve nothing but the entitlement to feel advanced levels of smugness for a time." You reply.

Lupin looks helplessly at Albus, who intervenes.

"The cup is, indeed, the same slightly tarnished award that has been used almost since the founding of Hogwarts itself." He says. "But well-deserved pride, and fond memories of victory, are by far superior to any mere physical reward that might be offered."

"Particularly in the sense that they do not damage the school's budget without need." You reply. "But enough of this. Lupin, you had mentioned that you tended towards a preference about instruction regarding creatures, yes? How well was this received, if I may ask?"

"Oh... well, there will always be grumblers." He replies. "People that will insist that all creatures should be covered in the Care classes, despite.... well, Lethifolds or Dementors, just for example, can't really be 'Cared' for, only really defended against." Lupin explains. "There's a lot of situations where there are gray areas and uncertainty about whether.... Hippogriffs, say, should be covered properly in Defense or Care. On the one hand, if you know how to approach them and aren't foolish enough to attack their vanity, I've found them fairly harmless, even affable creatures. On the other, they have long, sharp beaks and claws, and can shred most of your organs in a single blow, if you're too close to them and unlucky, should they decide to take a swipe at you. They could really fit in either class well enough."

You make a considering noise, then turn to Albus.

"On that note... I'd like to know if I can expect a great deal of potential interference from outside sources that I will have to work around, whether from protective parents or otherwise. Should I bring in creatures that might be considered dangerous for scholastic purposes, that is."

"Ah, you will find that in spite of some personal grievances after the fact, so long as none are permanently injured, the family of students are generally quite understanding and accepting of potential hazard and risk that might come up in the course of teaching students." Albus replies. "But... well, I am afraid Cornelius was rather less than pleased to find that I had located an instructor after all. I'm afraid there is some new legislation he is attempting to push through. I have, of course, done my utmost to stamp it out, but it seems to unfortunately be steadily building support among the Wizengamot."

"I see." You say. "On other matters, is there a specific place you would prefer for a lecture hall to be constructed, or any additions or stipulations you wish to make regarding its creation? As well, I am curious as to the policy on guest-lecturers, as I may consider at some points bringing in individuals with more specific experience in given areas than I myself might have to my name."

"Hmm.... well, as to the construction, I believe I will leave such decisions in your own capable hands." Albus says, after only a little thought. "Regarding guests, I will request that you notify me in advance so that a brief meeting can be arranged before you bring unknown individuals into my school. However, I do not believe there will be any serious problems with doing so: it is not a common choice, but neither is it unknown."

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51639
>>51634
>>51635
>>51636
>>51637

There, uh... have been some technical difficulties, here. And it seems I can't make them go away. Unfortunate, and somewhat embarrassing.
>> No. 51641
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.
>> No. 51643
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.

It just occurred to me that while we have no interest in Kourin's Youmu, we can help him out by silencing its cage in exchange for some item he has that's of interest to us, either now or in the future. Also while we're there we can tell him where to send Hogwarts students.
>> No. 51644
[x] How much leeway is there for teaching offense?
>> No. 51646
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You might write a book yourself, as extra teaching material. Or you might use it as a reward for those truthfully interessted in learning magic and growing. You have not decided yet.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.

What are our plans regarding what Patchouli will teach and how? From the top of my head, we could use yukkuri as as target practice, control over power (to not kill them), punishment for bad behaviour ("Take care of this family, if a single one is missing your house loses 50 points"), opponents for the first years to train low level magic...I'm sure there are more uses for yukkuri in Hogwarts.

We should also write a grimoire to reward the students with the best grades (or use it as supplementary material), besides the special group. I think Patchy should write something of her own, at lesat to enchance the classes.
>> No. 51647
>>51646
And here I imagined that idea was dealt with and buried.

Once again: Patchouli already noted that she wasn't interested in doing such a matter now in another thread. Especially since Marisa would try to steal it. Futhermore, there has been NO great impression on Patchouli from the students yet, thus she has no reason nor motivation to propose something like this.
>> No. 51648
>>51646
The yukkuri aren't to help with teaching.

Also Patchouli already made a list of supplementary reading, and unless I'm mistaken, has already stated she didn't want to go to the effort of writing a new book for her students.
>> No. 51649
>>51639
Report them. The mods will come to the rescue!
>> No. 51650
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.

lets not mix in politics.
>> No. 51651
>>51650
>Let's not get mixed up in politics.
FTFY
>> No. 51652
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.
[x] Ask for a copy of the legislation being passed through. While we do our best to stay out of politics it may be in our interests to lend our weight as a teacher against such legislation, should it interfere.
>> No. 51653
I just thought up a concept for the lecture hall:

Four main sections, one for each house. Barriers of some sort that can separate the place into two half-halls or four quarter-halls if preferred or inter-house rivalries are especially high.

Should make the outer walls thick, to defend against attack, and more to the point, cold.

At least consider connecting the place to the castle proper, and note what location would be best if you were to do so.

May as well make extra rooms, somebody will probably do something useful with them. Don't make rooms that don't lead into the big open space if you can help it. It's the whole point of the place, after all.

Four interconnected small rooms for lecture materials below stage, with cauldron and room for a few potion ingredients, cages for beasties, some storage for normal stuff, and some blackboards which can be lifted up, one for each potential hall. Some duplication magic would be helpful for when they are combined and students need to see the same thing.

Well, it's less of a concept and more a couple ideas, but whatever.

when the time comes, use or don't use them as you wish. If I had to recommend just one, it'd be the first, but I think they're all at least okay ideas. Except the blackboard part of the last one, I'm not sure about that.
>> No. 51654
>>51653
Meh, can't see the appeal in those ideas. Just let Kahi do it, would you?
>> No. 51655
>>51654

Kahi sometimes uses our ideas/comments, even if they aren't proper votes.
>> No. 51656
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.
[x] Offhandedly mention if there are other wizards at the school that prefer to live as animals.

>>51655
Only if they're good.
>> No. 51657
I meant use them or don't use them as you wish as more towards the voters rather than Kahi.

At least, I'm getting the feeling that you think I was telling Kahi how to write. I might be wrong, because words on the internet.

And yeah most of the 'ideas' other than the first one are sort of shitty, but it felt like a waste to just put up one idea-type thing.
>> No. 51660
>>51639

>There, uh... have been some technical difficulties, here. And it seems I can't make them go away. Unfortunate, and somewhat embarrassing.

Don't worry. I'm having the same problems. I think there was an error when Kahi was posting. Maybe he was trying to save rough drafts, but ended up posting them instead?
>> No. 51661
File 133073616245.jpg- (369.26KB , 1280x960 , 4a6e6af2276362a98e05ad78b3097f96.jpg ) [iqdb]
51661
This is my favorite story in the board now. Updates?
>> No. 51663
>>51661
Dude, what the hell? Kahi updated yesterday. Now take a seat and wait.
>> No. 51666
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.
>> No. 51670
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
-[x] Keep in mind that Dumbledore does play the political game, and will almost definitely not give you the un-slanted truth.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
>> No. 51676
[x] Ask about that piece of legislation. You hate having to mix in politics, but better know now before it catches you unaware later.
[x] Talk about some of your plans regarding what you'll teach and how (like what you'll teach to first years and teaching classes with all groups for each year), see if there are comments or suggestions about them.
[x] You may as well ask now what is the time the teachers will meet regarding schedules.
-[x] Ask Lupin how it went for him while you're at it.
>> No. 51688
File 133098416571.jpg- (333.04KB , 849x600 , EstimationFourthYearLevelPracticalLesson.jpg ) [iqdb]
51688
"Returning, for a moment, to that piece of legislation...." You say, pointedly.

"Ah, yes. I fear that Cornelius does not take well to being outmaneuvered, and insists upon placing his spy by any other name in a position to watch uncomfortably close." Albus says, stroking his beard. "With the position of instructor filled, he is now strongly lobbying for a... hm. 'Safety regulation assurement official' was, I believe, the pseudonym he had chosen for it. Of course, he is pushing it far too rapidly for the comfort of many, however, bizarrely enough there seem to be enough of those swayed by the concept of such a position to make up for those put off by how he is rushing this through."

The old man seems mildly befuddled as to why anyone might think a position like that was necessary, but shrugs after a moment.

"It is something of a bother, I fear." He says, sipping his tea. "As I have no doubt that Madame Umbridge has any greater interest in assuring the safety of students than she might have had in their instruction. As it happens, she was hasty enough to send a confirmation of her choice of text before I had even had the pleasure of meeting you for the first time. I don't suppose I could ask for your opinion on Slinkhard's 'Defensive Magical Theory'?"

"It fills its purpose respectably well, though it does not attempt to disguise the author's strong preference for pacifistic solutions to potentially violent situations." You say, considering what you recall of your brief skimming of the text. "As a pure exercise in the study of magical theory, it is sufficient to be included on the supplementary reading list I have prepared for those students who are willing to gain a greater comprehension of their craft."

"Yes, indeed, and as a supplement that is all well and good." Albus agrees, nodding. "But do you believe that the entire course might be taught, whilst only referring to this specific text for all seven years of schooling?"

"Impossible." You state flatly, then pause to consider. "... Perhaps the first years, alone. Though I rather doubt it."

"Indeed, indeed. You can understand, then, that concerns arose when I found that this was, in fact, Madame Umbridge's stated course outline and objective."

You have to take a moment to consider this. You don't doubt that a wild and angry pack of wolves could teach a more effective and lasting class than that.

"While we are on this topic, however..." Albus hums. "I admit myself vaguely curious regarding your own lesson plan."

"Ah. To begin, I fully intend to teach the entirety of a year at once, once a day." You say. Then you pause, to allow Lupin a moment to clear his airways, as he seems to have choked a little on his tea.

"You, ah... you do understand, of course, that there will likely be some level of hostility between Gryffindor and Slytherin?" Lupin says, after catching his breath. "Which you will have less ability to focus on defusing with Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw to divide your attemtion among as well? Simply to begin with the issues inherent..."

"I am well aware that there will likely be details to properly iron out, and hammer into their places." You say, waving a hand. "Aside from this, my plans are not yet set in stone. I intend to spend perhaps the first class or two in assessing relative practical ability of students before adjusting the difficulty of lessons in accordance with their combined level of academic and magical merit, as well as their receptiveness towards banding together against an outside source in the interest of avoiding personal injury."

Albus coughs.

"I have no intent of allowing the students to come to actual harm." You continue, mildly irritated that you have to state this so clearly. "However, the threat of danger present should be more than sufficient to band them together and, in such cases as accidents might occur during practical lessons, I fully intend to have restoratives and healing drafts available while transportation to Madame Pomphrey's care is expedited. First years, I suspect, will need a thorough grounding on their lack of immortality and why it is that, in fact, some battles are best left un-fought."

"Very good." Albus says, seeming pleased with the summary, despite that Lupin looks somehow disconcerted, and Black is frowning a little. "Though, I fear that you will have some difficulty in having that lesson take root in the minds of our noble and heroic new Gryffindors."

"We shall see." You say. "In any case, I understand that generally discussion regarding exact times of class occur shortly before term begins..."

"Yes, indeed. I believe the instructors will begin gathering, oh... when was it? Yes, Tuesday, in the staff meeting hall and lounge." Albus says. "Although, as students arrive Thursday... I believe this semester they will have Friday and the weekend off, and class itself will begin properly on next Monday, once everyone has settled in nicely. As such, I do not believe that discussions will proceed with such.... urgency as they sometimes do."

"I can only wish I had been so fortunate." Lupin says, before you can ask. "The whole matter... well, I hadn't thought to ask, and the bustle caught me somewhat by surprise, I am afraid. I recall being all but roped into the slots of time that were most convenient for everyone else before I had quite realized what was going on..."

Tewi looks mildly bored by the whole conversation, but seems to have been entertaining herself by watching a moth flutter around near one of the windows. Then a fairy subtly captures and disposes of it, and she appears to simply be bored in general once more.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51689
[x]Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x]Wrap the meeting up.
[x]Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi, she might get a kick out of it. Try to get your hands on more Unicorn Horns, or for that matter any rare medically-based reagents to send back to Eirin(because you never know), but otherwise just roam around, taking in the sights and picking up anything that might catch your eye or anything Tewi might want as a souvenir.
>> No. 51690
[x] Involve Tewi in the conversation in some way.
>> No. 51692
[x] It's Tewi's own fault, she invited herself along. Offer her an opportunity to leave.

I don't think Tewi has anything to add to the conversation.

Probably gonna add more later.
>> No. 51698
>>51689
Dude, we didn't even send the first horn to Eirin yet. They're not going anywhere, so why not see if she can find a use for them first?

[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x]Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.

Just something however: One year a day? Since 1st and 2nd years don't have trips to the village at some weekends, I suppose they'll be slotted in for those two days, but is it truly impossible to teach 2 years for two days per week?
>> No. 51700
>>51698
The idea is to pick up extras to send off so Patchy can mess around with the one she already has. It's not like money's hard to come by.

If you're worried about sending Eirin what amounts to magical snake oil, stick a note on them stating you haven't had the chance to mess around with them yourself, so you don't know what, if anything, they do.
>> No. 51702
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x]Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
>> No. 51703
[X] A bored Tewi is not the kind of incident you want to handle in front of your employer. Find a way to rectify this before she takes it on herself to make things more... interesting.
>> No. 51705
>>51692 here, changing vote.

[x]>>51702
-[x] Make the four-sectioned lecture hall before heading to Diagon Alley.
-[x] When somewhere private, tell Tewi her being bored was her own fault. She invited herself along, after all.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Return to SDM.

I'm pretty sure the two shopping things are going to be met with a 'no need to do that', but I suppose no harm in checking.
>> No. 51707
>>51705
Hmmm... Thanks of reminding me about starting the hall. However, I can't agree on the separate sections. We're going to have to watch over them during the chaos of a fight anyway so what is the point of separate sections? Beside, some humiliation for wrongdoers who dare disturb good students seems funnier.

Adding to >>51698
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.

It should be done last. If it's a good drain on Patchouli, we may be too tired to do that walk in the Alley after.
>> No. 51708
Out of curiosity, what's the worst case scenario if Patchy just disregards Umbridges presence, interference, etcetc completely? She's hardly the type to care about the laws Outside (what are they gonna do, arrest her?), and I doubt she'll roll over just because Umbridge asks. In addition,

>Excellent. I shall make arrangements on my end, and the books will be delivered to your chosen quarters at the start of term.

So what are they gonna do, fire her? She'll already have gotten her payment long before Umbridge can start anything.
>> No. 51710
>>51708
I think Patchouli has a bit more pride about upholding deals. The only one who could really make her leave by telling her to do so would be Dumbledore.

As for dealing with Umbridge, I think we can all assume safely she'll be out for our head considering we took the position she was supposed to get. How we'll deal with it... who know? As we've seen, even Cornelius can't force staff change else he would have done something.
>> No. 51712
I think Patchouli's response to Umbridge is going to be to completely ignore her. Enforcing this with a silence spell, if necessary.
>> No. 51713
>>51708
Oh please, she's the strongest wizard in Britain right now, stronger than Dumbles and Voldy combined. Nothing could ever harm her there. In fact, she could even take on the Ministry by herself if she wants.
>> No. 51714
>>51713
You do realize that post implied nothing to the contrary of what you posted?
>> No. 51715
[x]>>51703
[x]>>51702
>> No. 51716
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
-[x] When somewhere private, tell Tewi her being bored was her own fault. She invited herself along, after all.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

I'd really rather do the hall first, but yeah, it might drain us.

>>51713
Are you the guy complaining about how Patchy is overpowered being sarcastic?
>> No. 51718
Tewi knows that meetings tend to be boring, she likely tagged along hoping that she and Patchy would go off do to something interesting afterwards. Which they are. There's no need to treat her like a small child, and telling her that meetings are boring accomplishes nothing aside from being yet another entry into the Redundantly Unnecessary Department of Unnecessary Redundancies.
>> No. 51719
[x]Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x]Wrap the meeting up.
[x]Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi, she might get a kick out of it. Try to get your hands on more Unicorn Horns, or for that matter any rare medically-based reagents to send back to Eirin(because you never know), but otherwise just roam around, taking in the sights and picking up anything that might catch your eye or anything Tewi might want as a souvenir.
>> No. 51721
>>51718
I agree. Tewi's probably (read: definitely) old enough to not need lecturing like a child. That would probably only stand to annoy her.
>> No. 51722
[x] Deploy tiny fly golem squad to amuse Tewi.

Pretty insect gemstone golems, all sparkly~ I want some!
>> No. 51723
[X] Instruct the fairies to put on a play and recreate the Imperishable night incident to keep Tewi amused.
>> No. 51725
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

>>51721
This.
There's no reason to point out the obvious. She knows it, we know it and chances are she'll already be having more fun by then since we're out doing something.
>> No. 51726
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

We shouldn't forget Tewi's true age. Acting as if she's a kid...probably wouldn't be the most sensible thing we've done.
>> No. 51728
Tewi may be taking in this info and plotting. She's probably got a hell of a poker face by now
>> No. 51730
>>51726
We're not acting as if she's a kid. (if you are referring to our constant attention to her attention span) Rather, we're acting as if she is a whimsical creature that has lived many years and is easily bored and looks for amusement in the form of... trolling.
>> No. 51734
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
Yeah, let's not give speeches to our elders, yes?
>> No. 51737
>>51734
I can understand how people might think that telling Tewi her boredom is her fault is treating her like a child. (Just for the record, I meant it to be said the way you would tell a friend they're being stupid, not a child. But whatever.)

What I don't see is how it's a speech, since it consists of one, possibly two sentences.
>> No. 51754
>>51705

> Tewi is bored
> Tewi minds her manners and waits patiently instead of causing trouble
> We scold her

Wat.
>> No. 51755
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51780
>>51737
If she's not complaining or otherwise making it an issue there's no reason to bring it up at all. It comes off as rather patronizing.

I suppose if we bitterly resent her inviting herself (it was presumptuous) and want to alienate her (a bad move, for the luck based health bonus alone) we could take her to task for feeling things.
>> No. 51782
>Scolding a centuries old youkai for acting childishly.
You guys just went full retard mode, didn't you?
>> No. 51783
>>51782
Oh please, like age matters for Touhous. (ex: Flandre)
>> No. 51785
... Flandre has been locked in a basement for 500 years.
>> No. 51786
[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51788
>>51785

She wasn't locked in the basement. Take your shitty fanon somewhere else.
>> No. 51789
>>51788

... The text of one of her spellcards explicitly says "locked in the basement." I can track it down if you want.
>> No. 51790
>>51788

It's irrelevant whether the door to the basement was locked or not. The point stands that Flandre was in the basement for 495 years prior to EoSD, and that she's so inexperienced with things outside the basement that she doesn't even know how to drain blood from people. Therefore, she can't be used as a standard for 500-year-old youkai behavior.
>> No. 51792
>>51788
>Touhou fanfiction site.
>Complain about fanon.
Wat.
>> No. 51793
>>51792
Actually he's complaining about canon, but yeah.
>> No. 51794
>>51792
It's a fanfiction site. There's no clause about anons having to be smart.
>> No. 51795
>>51793
I know he's (really) complaining about canon, but if he said fanon, the I'm sure that there are other parts of fanon that he does object to. My post is still valid.
>> No. 51799
Stop bickering and vote.
>> No. 51801
>>51799
We did.
>> No. 51803
>>51688

Small nitpicky point: What is Tewi wearing? It would really be great if she was wearing that blazer-miniskirt combo from that piece of fanart...

Oh, and as for my vote...

[x] Ask about your fellow teachers. If you come bearing appropriate gifts, the negotiations may be a bit smoother than they otherwise might have been.
[x] Wrap the meeting up.
[x] Set the fairies to cleaning up, and head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51814
File 133185848365.jpg- (109.94KB , 600x600 , pic unrelated but adorable.jpg ) [iqdb]
51814
"If I may ask, about the other instructors?" You muse aloud.

"Severus Snape and Minerva McGonagall are... well, the spitting image of what you would expect of Slytherin and Gryffindor." Lupin says, ignoring Black's face at the mention of the other man's name. "Fitting, as they're both head of house, respectively. And as it happens, both of their tempers have the same sort of volatility, the difference mainly being if they burn hot... or cold."

"If the thrust of your inquiry is, however, towards suitable start of term gifts, however..." Albus continues. "I might let slip that Minerva has a certain occasional fondness for chocolates concealing... just a few drops of well-aged brandy, I believe. Though I believe she also spends spare time with needlework, or correcting published transfiguration articles. As for Severus."

"Snape doesn't like anything and he won't hesitate to let you know." Black grumbled quietly to himself.

"Oh, I think you give him too little credit." Albus counters. "But as for material matters... well, I fear he is not the sort to be taken in by sweet treats or a new quill, no matter how dashing. I suppose it would mainly be the thought which counted. Perhaps a small bottle of wine? Yes, wine is generally a respectable gift. I much doubt he will drink it, of course..."

"Not until he's run most of the bottle through a dozen tests for poisons and potions, paranoid git..." Black grumbles again, slightly louder.

"... You will find paranoia to, in general, be an admirable trait in those magicians who intend to live long lives." You point out. Black frowns, but settles down again.

"... but in any case it is, as I said, the thought and respect inherent in a gift that makes it worth note, and not always the use it will have." Albus continues. "Though, I would advise that care be taken not to give offense by selecting gifts with too much material value, as well, lest it appear that you are, as it were... flaunting, one supposes, wealth. Not, I suppose, that I have to lecture you on such matters." He finishes wryly.

"In regards to Madame Sprout... she very much enjoys her duties." Lupin continues thoughtfully.

"Oh, Pomona. There are days it seems that she doesn't even want pay, so long as she can continue to tend to her plants, and teach others about them. The fortune of having a job where one does what one loves to do, I suppose. She is, however, a very old friend of Minerva's."

"As for Flitwick... well, I may have heard wrong, but it seems he does enjoy a good joke. Perhaps a fancy quill would be a safer-"

"Piffle." Albus interrupts, sipping the tea. "You've clearly never been scolded by the man, nor had him console you for some loss. Else you would know that dear Filius has a very notable fondness for baked goods, particularly fresh and still warm. Why, it's slightly comparable to my own personal preference for hard candies, I'm given to understand he keeps a tin of his own in his office."

"He's also a duelling champion." Lupin says, consideringly.

"Indeed, indeed. Loved the sport, I recall." Albus says, dropping another sugar cube into his tea before sipping again... by now you suspect he can hardly taste the flavor. "I don't recall you were particularly familiar with the rest of the staff, of course, partly due to your condition, Remus. As to Aurora, Professor Sinistra of Astronomy, her studies are of course held after dark, usually at midnight on wednesdays, and as such it is unlikely you will cross purposes with her regarding times. Some small gesture of goodwill would, no doubt, still be appreciated, if you intend to bring gifts. Cuthbert Binns, the History Professor... well, I hesitate to say this, but somehow I doubt much he will notice your arrival at all, or whether you have brought a gift for him or not. Batsheda Babbling is our own Ancient Runes instructor, however... well, I fear that she is not the most sociable of sorts. I'm afraid I can tell you little of what gift might please her. As for dear Charity Burbage, however, that is a more simple matter. As Muggle Studies professor, she does what she loves, and she'll get quite excited at the gift of any muggle invention or device. Quite like Arthur, I believe? Yes, I believe she made mention of her desire to locate a... battery, was it? To study it in somewhat closer detail. She is on rather friendly terms with Severus, I believe..."

"Absolutely no judge of character, that woman." Black grumbles, and Lupin coughs again.

"Sirius." He mutters sternly. "If you cannot behave yourself during a business meeting... I shall have to put you outside. I am perfectly capable of transfiguring a leash and muzzle, as you are well aware."

".... You wouldn't." Black mutters back. And then, at the stern and unyielding look offered by Lupin, you can almost hear the canine whine and sorrowful look overlaid upon his features.

"If I may continue, madame Septima Vector is our Arithmancy instructor. She's quite sociable, though you will find her to be something of a perfectionist. I am given to understand that the students absolutely loathe this facet of her personality." Albus continues, dryly. "Madame Rolanda Hooch is our Flying instructor... in truth, this requires very few lessons to properly get the hang of, and so for the most part, she serves as Quidditch Referree. She will most likely select a few times through the first month or two to instruct the first years, and not actually have any scheduled hours for classes. And that brings us to... ah yes, Rubeus Hagrid, the dear boy. Took on the Care of Magical Creatures class after Kettleburn retired, he does seem to have a knack for it. And he loves his work. He's a simple man of simple tastes, however, when fantastic beasts are removed from the equation."

"He also still works as the groundskeeper, I believe?" Lupin notes.

"Yes, he doesn't seem to mind the extra labor at all. Currently, however, he is away on... a minor matter, at my request, and his classes will be handled for the time being by miss Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank. I would advise, in her case... a small pouch of flavored pipe tobacco, perhaps. I understand she has a slight preference for apple."

... They seem to have wound down to a close. Your only concern with this meeting is that it seems to have been very... ordinary, and as Tewi proves, somewhat uninteresting to an outside observor. You may have to think of means to spice matters up, somehow, if you intend to keep a particular observor occupied with theatrics. It can wait, though.

You rise, and politely endure a round of hand-shaking as the meeting comes to an end. Black holds your hand for longer than is, strictly speaking, absolutely neccessary, but comes to regret it as Tewi in turn squeezes... possibly a little tighter than might be advised, judging by the small tear coming up in the corner of his eye, and his grit teeth.

You breathe deeply as they set on their way, speaking quietly to themselves, and disappear with a soft crack once off the property. With a short word, you set the fae to cleaning up after the repast. The basket has been taken, but it looks like a number of sandwiches and meat-pies have been left behind, either by accident or design.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51815
head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it.
-[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her.
-[x] Also get some gifts while you're at it if you decide to go to Diagon Alley.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51816
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Chocolates with a bit of brandy for Minerva.
-[x] Bottle of wine for Severus.
-[x] Some interesting, innocuous example of Gensokyan plantlife, preferably edible, for Pomona.
-[x] Baked goods for Filius. Maybe buy these just before you bring the gifts.
-[x] Hot chocolate for Aurora.
-[x] A desk ornament of some sort for Cuthbert.
-[x] Some beer for Batsheda.
-[x] A battery and some beef jerky for Charity.
-[x] A pie for Septima.
-[x] Some pudding for Rolanda.
-[x] Fudge for Rubeus, once he gets back.
-[x] Apple flavored pipe tobacco for Wilhelmina.
-[x] Hard candies for Albus.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

Man that's a lot of people. Explanations are available on request.
>> No. 51817
[x]Head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it. Get cash as appropriate, etc.
-[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her.
-[x] Also get some gifts while you're at it. Several of them should be simple enough to acquire, though a few of them may require more thought.
[x]Pick up any useful-looking books you may have missed on your first couple of passes.
>> No. 51819
>>51816
>Filius has a very notable fondness for baked goods, particularly fresh and still warm.

>fresh

Bribes can wait tomorrow. Whatever Patchouli or Sakuya can't make anyway.

[x] Leave the food for Alistair.
[x] Head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it. Get cash as appropriate, etc.
-[x] If, by any chance, you locate things with medical properties that would be hard to find in Gensokyo, see if you can get some to have them sent to Eirin to see if they could be of use to her.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall. And don't forget your staff before leaving.
>> No. 51820
[x] Head to Diagon Alley with Tewi for a bit, she might get a kick out of it. Get cash as appropriate, etc.
-[x] If, by any chance, you locate things with medical properties that would be hard to find in Gensokyo, see if you can get some to have them sent to Eirin to see if they could be of use to her.
-[x]Pick up any useful-looking books you may have missed on your first couple of passes.
-[x] If you come across items that would fit Albus' hints for bribesgifts, acquire those as well.

And probably beyond the scope of the next update, but...

[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51821
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

We're probably supposed to choose the giftes ourselves, rather than just going gifts: get.
>> No. 51822
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51823
[x] Bottles(two) of wine for Severus.
One normal, one spiced with something 'ordinary' from our handy Ordinary Witch. Or from Eirin if Marisa can't do "subtle".
He would like challange won't he?
Bonus points for deducting effect.
>> No. 51833
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51836
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51851
>>51823
This strikes me as being exactly the kind of thing he would actively enjoy, as long as we made it just difficult enough to be satisfying.

[x] >>51816, except:
- [x] For Severus Snape, two bottles of wine: one spiced with a mildly interesting poison (perhaps methanol?); the other with an equal amount, by weight, of pure ethyl alcohol.
>> No. 51854
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] Don't give fucking poison to a coworker.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

I question your intelligence, people.
>> No. 51855
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

Future Note: [x] If interesting wine option wins, make sure to TELL HIM FIRST.
>> No. 51857
Wine is such a silly, thoughtless gift. Also, anyone who wants to get Snape a gift, is going to get him wine, because they can't be bothered to think of something he might actually like.

Something like:

[X] A handwritten and annotated guide to the alchemical properties of Gensokyo's plant and animal life.

[X] A magically reinforced glass cauldron. Compleat with a sliding scale of runes on the side, indicating the purity of the potion/poison being brewed.

[X] A great wizard always has to have a familiar right? Assist him in making a magical contract with an animal of his choice.
>> No. 51859
>>51857
>I would advise that care be taken not to give offense by selecting gifts with too much material value
>> No. 51860
>>51859

A book, an enchanted culdron, and a familiar hardly represent the pinnacle of wealth.

I don't understand why you quoted that particular line.
>> No. 51861
>>51860

Please ignore the sage fail, posted from my cellphone.
>> No. 51862
[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] Except instead of the wine, ask Tewi what to get for Severus.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

We should ask Tewi what to get Severus. She's more savvy than Patchouli and could probably make a better decision.
>> No. 51863
>>51857

[x] A handwritten and annotated guide to the alchemical properties of Gensokyo's plant and animal life.

That neatly skips having to establish our credentials with him and opens up the possibility of equitable trade of material and ingredients. He's probably the most useful professor to us.

Personally I think (magically copied) books would have been the superior choice for almost all the professors. With careful selection, they serve as a subtle reminder of our superiority without being too over-the-top.

(Buying a battery for a witch who hasn't the slightest understanding of the principles behind it is an insult.)

The familiar suggestion is interesting - Severus could well be very useful with the Homunculus experiments, but gauging his character, skills and trustworthiness would be required.
>> No. 51864
[x] A handwritten and annotated guide to the alchemical properties of Gensokyo's plant and animal life.
>> No. 51865
You people do understand that this would take a fuckton of time to put together and annotate, time that we both don't have and don't care enough to spend on Snape? And that it's way more expensive/fancy than all the other gifts, leading to probable jealousy? And that Snape doesn't want his job and desires ours, so he may take it as a reminder that we have the job he wants?

This is even dumber than giving him poison.

[x] Leave them for Alistair.
[x] Go to Diagon Alley with Tewi.
[x] Tewi has shown herself skilled at winning gambles without raising suspicion. Ask her about disposal of jewels without inviting annoying questions.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] Don't give fucking poison to a coworker.
-[x] Remind self of why a book of alchemy is a stupid idea.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51866
>>51865

I think you missed the part where she did this years ago.

It's a copy of her own investigations into the useful alchemic/elemental properties of native Gensokyoan flora and fauna - something that any self-respecting Magician would have commenced immediately upon arriving in such a magically charged land.

Hell, Marisa has her own researches.
>> No. 51867
>>51866
Assume for a moment we have a study of alchemical ingredients. A bit convenient for it to have always been there, but whatever, the explanation could work. You're still suggesting we give away our hard-researched knowledge, contrary to our already demonstrated possessiveness. By the way, as clear as it may have been to you when you typed it up, you didn't actually mention anything about Patchy having probably already done it, so don't act all bitchy when somebody else goes by what's typed there.

Also, you said nothing about my other two points.
>> No. 51869
Why not give Severus some rare potion ingredient that would either be extremely hard to find/unaffordable outside of Gensokyo?
>> No. 51871
>>51865

>You people do understand that this would take a fuckton of time to put together and annotate

Nope. Make Koa do it. I'm sure she will get over missing out on sex time.

>don't care enough to spend on Snape

Actually, you are 100% wrong about that one. everyone in this thread (with the exception of you apperantly) cares about geting the optimal time slot for teaching.

>expensive/fancy, probable jealousy.

It's a damn book.

>Snape doesn't want his job and desires ours, so he may take it as a reminder that we have the job he wants

Snape is an adult, i'm sure he will get over it.



Do you guys think Lockheart would be able to sway ANYBODY on the teaching staff? of course not because nobody sees him as an equal/worthy of giving the time of day. I am of the belief that the first order of business is to show competancy in our craft before begining negotiations, so as to make sure all the other professers take us seriusly.

Also, we really need to think about the bribes we are sending out...I mean...would you take a shitty teaching time slot, all for a fucking pie? Or a bottle of wine? Of course not.

[x] A handwritten and annotated guide to the alchemical properties of Gensokyo's plant and animal life.
>> No. 51873
>>51871
>Make Koa do it.
Koa doesn't know the first damn thing about alchemy.

>everyone in this thread (with the exception of you apperantly) cares about geting the optimal time slot for teaching.
I want a good timeslot just as much as you. However I think we can get it while still remaining subtle.

>It's a damn book.
It's a representation of countless hours of study into the properties of rare ingredients, some of which can't even be found in the outside world anymore. It's really fucking valuable.

>Snape is an adult, i'm sure he will get over it.
You're talking about a guy who held a grudge against someone for seven years because he was a reminder that his crush loved someone else. He's not exactly prone to getting over things. That said, maybe he will.

>Do you guys think Lockheart would be able to sway ANYBODY on the teaching staff? of course not because nobody sees him as an equal/worthy of giving the time of day.
Lockhart was, and still is, to be a great wizard. Only Harry, Ron, and whoever else they told know he's a faker. He'd certainly be thought of as an equal. In regards to your actual point, Dumbledore is vouching for our magical expertise.

>we really need to think about the bribes we are sending out...I mean...would you take a shitty teaching time slot, all for a fucking pie? Or a bottle of wine? Of course not.
These are all on the level of the gifts that were suggested. Need I remind everybody that we were suggested not to give too fancy gifts?

On a completely different matter, please work on your typing. It's atrocious.
>> No. 51874
>>51873
>These are all on the level of the gifts that were suggested. Need I remind everybody that we were suggested not to give too fancy gifts?
Agreed. If we get too extravagant of a gift, even if it is a mere pittance for Patchy, that could be construed as rubbing it in the other teacher's faces that we have that much better resources than them. A small gift as a token of respect is all that is needed. Not these "expensive ingredients" and "complete guides". That can come AFTER we get to know our co-workers.

Remember: this is before Patchy has even met any of them. Just a small gift to build rapport, and if you wish to pursue a closer working relationship, like knowing more about Snape's potions and ingredients, that should be done after we meet our co-workers.
>> No. 51875
File 133226460892.jpg- (108.43KB , 800x758 , a9bd07098b743130fdf2e0678074b0ee36176196.jpg ) [iqdb]
51875
You spend a moment contemplating gifts.

Severus seems like the sort of person who would truly appreciate a study of less-common alchemical reagents. While it isn't exactly the focus of your experience, 'Potions' even less so, seeming to be more of Kirisame's field, you have made a small, brief study of some examples of native flora and fauna of Gensokyo.

The fact of the matter is, however, that you would sooner gift-wrap and deliver your own lungs in a rather soggy box than hand any of your notes over to another magician of any sort or caliber without very good reason indeed.

Gifts and nebulous 'good will' do not in any way qualify. You will not be doing this.

..... Another thought strikes you, however. He also seems like the sort that would appreciate the use of his talents, and so a pair of wine-bottles, both tampered with, one carrying a harmless additive and one spiced with something... less than harmless, would most likely pique the man's interest. At the very least, you believe it would strike your fancy, were places and conditions reversed, which is the best commendation you can think of for the idea. An interesting gift, fitting for the recipient, while still not too lavish.

And if his skills were not up to the task, and the man imbibed something particularly toxic... well. That would just be a shame, wouldn't it. .... Albus may not approve, of course. But so long as you notify Severus of any potential lethalities before-hand, you cannot be held accountable for his being foolish enough to actually drink potential poison, certainly.

Falling back from that, the simpler gift of a plain bottle of wine will be respectable enough and probably do, though if he's going to run his tests on it anyway then it would be a bit of a shame not to make things interesting for him.

Much of what else you consider is some variety of foodstuff, and can be presented in part as refreshment for general staff repast over the meeting, and in part as direct gifts. You will have to give the matter due consideration, of course.

For now, to that Alley. You pause, on arrival, and think. You still have some amount of pocket change from your previous visit, you believe, but it may be better to fill the money pouches once more...

"... Are you familiar with discreet methods of changing valuables for currency?" You wonder aloud, softly.

"You can just.. make it, right? Geeze, takes a lot of the fun out of things." Tewi says in response. "But no problem. Gotta find someplace seedy, though. Might be somewhere around here, but it's a biiit too... upright, y'know. Law abiding. Pawn shops'll take down your name and remember your face, sort of thing. Let's take a walk and see if there's someplace better..."

Tewi continues to talk as she walks, eying places.

"Don't make just... lumps of stuff, or cut rocks." She advises. "People don't really keep that sort of junk around in their pockets, you probably won't get asked anything in the places I'm thinking of, but you'll definitely raise eyebrows. Nothing too valuable either. Really detailed silver stuff, with cheaper rocks, or really simple gold or better, with more expensive ones. Simple and cheap won't get much, where fancy and expensive'll turn heads. You want one or the other."

You've started down a dingy, gloomier path from an intersection, to a Knockturne alley. The people here seem... markedly less congenial. Less friendly, though, means less inclined to pry. Openly, at least. There are a couple of eyes on the two of you, anyway.

... A significantly decrepit old woman with one eye is selling something out of small boxes, making exchanges quickly with a grizzled individual who's wild eyes and filed-sharp teeth seem to suggest some level of mental abnormality. You nearly miss it as goods are exchanged, the contents of the boxes revealed to be old, slightly dusty and dried out human fingers. While many portions of the human body serve for one magical use or another, you cannot think immediately of anything that fingers might be viable for... then your question is answered as the man subtly hides most of them away in his pockets, but raises one to his mouth, where he crunches at it, the exact nature of his snack almost entirely concealed, and easy to miss.

It's not really any of your concern, though.

"Make inscriptions, if you can." Tewi notes thoughtfully. "Engravings to some woman or another. The same woman on all of them, she'll be our dearly departed auntie, who's jewelry we're selling off to defray the costs of her expensive funeral. Try to look... hm. Kind of pained, upset that you have to do this? ... Eh, no, that's not going to work. Sorry."

Before you understand what she's apologizing about, Tewi has thumped you lightly in the stomach, and your face twists a little at the pain blossoming.

"There you go. Hold that expression. Woman's name?"

"Ana... stasia..." You croak, a little weakly.

"Right, gimme the goods, I'll do the talking."

Tewi closes her eyes as she accepts the trinkets. When she opens them, a remarkable transformation has taken place, as an unhappy and trembling waif, traces of tears in her eyes, stands in the position Tewi has vacated. She leads you into a nondescript building, and goes through a number of mild theatrics, breaking into a fit of tears you can almost imagine are real at one point, before making the actual transaction. The two of you leave the building, money in hand.

"Aaand now we wander off, casually." Tewi says. "Stomach, uh... feeling better, there?"

"You could have warned me." You croak, pain not having entirely left you.

"Eh... no, I really couldn't have. Doesn't come off right if you're prepared for it, and tense up." Tewi explains, apologetically. "And no offense, but you weren't coming off at all right, there. But anyway... we've sold dear auntie Anastasia's jewels, and as far as that guy knows or cares, that's all there is to it. No names taken down, never really even looked directly at our faces. So... he's probably at least half convinced we robbed someone for 'em, coming to him instead of somewhere a bit more classy, but it's not like anyone's gonna come looking for them, and he's not gonna ask around if someone's had stuff go missing. Good deal all 'round."

You grimace, slightly, rubbing your tender abdomen.

"So, where to? Looks like a bunch of neat-ish shops around. Not sure I've been to this part of England before." Tewi asks thoughtfully.

"Not sure?" You ask.

"... Blank spots in the memory, y'know. If I did, I wasn't exactly in a state to check out the scenery." Tewi says, awkwardly.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51876
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] If you do end up doing the poison thing, make sure the poison bottle has a mark in an easily checkable - but hard to accidentally look at - place, such as the bottom of the cork. Inform Severus of this when giving him the bottles.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

Like I said. We're not going to give away our notes.
>> No. 51877
[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attract your or Tewi's interest.
-[x] If you happen to see things that could be used as gifts, get them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.

>>51876
We're here with Tewi. No need to be all business.
>> No. 51878
Tewi serves two important purposes to Patchouli. First, she gives us a luck bonus and second, she has the right kind of mind for keeping things interesting for Yukari watching us. She's the one that challenged that kid to the street race in a truck, for example.
Left on her own, Patchouli would be all business-like efficiency and we'd get things like, well, a teacher's meeting that's actually about teaching. Not something that's going to excite Yakumo Yukari.
So, let's find some entertainment.

[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attract your or Tewi's interest.
-[x] If you happen to see things that could be used as gifts, get them.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
>> No. 51879
[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attract your or Tewi's interest.
-[x] If you happen to see things that could be used as gifts, get them.
[x] obtain a carrotcake for tewi as a offering. Of gratitude
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
>> No. 51880
I think the best path here is a compromise. Also we probably should keep some money so we can study the enchantments. If we can comprehend the enchantments, we'll get a revenue stream that is a lot less suspicious than selling a ton of stuff. If we can't, we'll have a magical puzzle of sorts that we can study either in our free time or after the school year's over.

[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attracts your or Tewi's interest.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] If you do end up doing the poison thing, make sure the poison bottle has a mark in an easily checkable - but hard to accidentally look at - place, such as the bottom of the cork. Inform Severus of this when giving him the bottles.
--[x] End up doing the poison thing.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Keep some of the money of each type so you can study the enchantments and just make it directly.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51881
[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attracts your or Tewi's interest.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] If you do end up doing the poison thing, make sure the poison bottle has a mark in an easily checkable - but hard to accidentally look at - place, such as the bottom of the cork. Inform Severus of this when giving him the bottles.
--[x] End up doing the poison thing.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Keep some of the money of each type so you can study the enchantments and just make it directly.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.

Hmmf. These do seem like foolproof precautions, and Patchy thinks Snape'd enjoy it, so I guess skill challenge would work.
>> No. 51882
>
"... Blank spots in the memory, y'know. If I did, I wasn't exactly in a state to check out the scenery." Tewi says, awkwardly.

I'm assuming Tewi is referring to the time she tasted meat and went Killer Bunny of Caerbannog on the populace.

You should write a side story about that, Kahi.
>> No. 51883
>>51882

He should write side stories about the battles in DQ. If you are on the chat when he rolls the battles, his descriptions of a single round is almost enough for a short of it's own.
>> No. 51884
Do the poison thing, but mix up the markings.

Snape appears to be the only properly paranoid mage around here, and we'd like to encourage that kind of thing.
>> No. 51885
Todo list >>49987

- Find some manner of defending the library while out.
- Plan lessons
- 'Discuss' the schedule with others teachers (will happen during last two days, time it will take unknown)
- Find gifts to bribe teachers with.
- Decide on loose schedule (then again, I think we're all agreeing on separating classes by years last it was talked about).
- If a lecture hall is to be made, better be ready for Earth day. Ideally, since we won't need it after this year, we should ask Albus where it could be made and if he has any specifications for it (beside our need that it should be able to house a whole year's worth of students). If needed, can always mention this could help balance the 'salary' further, if it didn't pass smoothly.
- Interview Pomphrey.
- Furnish our tower.
- Possibly arrange for another teaching assistant or Library defender, depending on what we want Koakuma's primary job to be.

Days Left
4
>> No. 51886
I'm just hoping someone eventually recognizes Tewi from the legends... of the dark, dark times...

[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attracts your or Tewi's interest.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Poison for Severus, as long as the "harmless" one still produces sufficiently amusing side effects if imbibed.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Keep some of the money of each type so you can study the enchantments and just make it directly.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51888
Browsing forbidden tomes? Browsing forbidden tomes.

[x] Tewi doesn't know the area and you only came here for business before. You may as well walk around and see if anything attracts your or Tewi's interest.
-[x] First, see if there are any good bookstores in this 'Knockturn Alley'.
[x] Buy gifts or make a mental note to obtain them in a more appropriate place, such as a mundane store or Gensokyo.
-[x] Sub-votes in >>51816.
-[x] But give an extra bottle of wine to Snape, with the whole 'harmful/harmless addition' thing.
--[x] Make sure the poison bottle has a mark in an easily checkable - but hard to accidentally look at - place, such as the bottom of the cork. Inform Severus of this mark when giving him the bottles.
---[x] Do not make the addition to the harmless bottle have an additional effect, unless it is a beneficial one. And make very sure you don't mix up the markings.
[x] If the alchemical ingredients for health are ones that Eirin has a high chance of not having, get some for her and have Tewi take it back with her. Your health is always a solid investment.
[x] If there were any books which you have not examined in the bookstores you have thus far visited, or examined, determined satisfactory, but not bought, examine and buy them.
[x] Keep some of the money of each type so you can study the enchantments and just make it directly.
[x] Before returning home, create (or do what you can today) the lecture hall.
[x] Return to SDM.
>> No. 51889
[x]>>51816
+[x] But give an extra bottle of wine to Snape, with the whole 'harmful/harmless addition' thing.

Man that's a lot of actions
>> No. 51891
>>51867

Your other points were worthless. Sorry, but that's just how it is. Patchouli's youkai possessiveness is as much a hindrance to her as it is helpful in stopping us breaking the setting.

The gifts did not have to be equivalent to any degree - there was no laying down of the law here.
Nor is there some objective standard of value which the professors judge their gifts by. As I also suggested, copied books for everyone.
No, not the supersecretyoukairagemustkeep books, but things that show Patchouli to put more respect into her actions than having obviously asked Albus Dumbledore for his advice and then meekly followed it.

Call it bitching if you like, now that the matter is basically settled - but if she has youkai possessiveness (and is so utterly willing to be dominated by it) then where's her youkai pride?

Also, yeah, you're pretty bitchy yourself y'know? Start with an insult, then act offended when people don't kiss your ass?
>> No. 51893
>youkai possessiveness

Patchy is going to be spending the next year of her life teaching hormonal teenagers how to properly perform magic, yet there seems to be a problem with sharing knowledge with Snape in order to secure something we quite obviously want?

Just throwing that out there, I know the matter is closed now.
>> No. 51894
>>51891
The hell is "youkai possessiveness"? Is Patchy a goddamn dragon now, hoarding her treasures all day?
>> No. 51895
>>51893
There's a difference between teaching students the commonplace spells every wizard is expected to know, and handing over our personal magic notes.
>> No. 51896
>>51895
Exactly. I'm thinking, that somewhere in the Voile, there has a be a book wrong enough to be worthless to us, who have access to countless superior writings, and yet useful, interesting or just novel enough to have value to someone less enlightened.

Think of it as giving someone stuck with no conception of laws of nature a book on aetheric theory, when we have books on quantum mechanics, special and general relativity and are working on formulating the unified field theory - its a dead end, its just plain wrong, it has no uses without a mathematical apparatus they are not going to get from us anyway, and we are light years ahead of it.

But, to someone stuck in antiquity, it would be a priceless godsend, full of revolutionary ideas, like that you can use deduction and induction to both find out laws governing the behaviour of things, and use them to predict future behaviours of the same.

(If Snape had the soul of a true magician, he'd sell his soul for a chance to have the crumbs from our table. Worthless, worm-ridden crumbs at that. )
>> No. 51897
>>51896
Character comprehension fail. Remember when Marisa stole Patchouli's new books? Remember the murderous feeling she got when she saw it destroyed when Marisa found out it hadn't been warded against water? Remember it lessened because it was one of Lockhart's books, yet only a bit even if it was one of those?

Fact is: unless she got several copies of a book as you described, which is damn unlikely if Patchouli feels like mustering such effort to look in the first place, then Patchouli WILL NEVER hand out her books willingly. Knowledge is the most important thing to her.
>> No. 51898
>>51895

So if a student asks a question not strictly related to the course curriculum, Patchy is going to to ignore it right? I mean...It's our personal research here, right?

Or perhaps your post was meant to imply that Patchy draws the line at handing over hard copies of her knowledge, but would be willing to share it verbally?
>> No. 51899
Pretty sure the second was what was meant here. Unless it deals with things Patchouli will not talk about, like hinting at how strong she is, Patchouli has no reason to ignore them.
>> No. 51900
I would think that the physical materials themselves mean little to her. Keep in mind that a magician's notes are a culmination of a lifetime of work.

Imagine that you'd been working on a story most your life, but haven't finished it yet. Would you just hand over all your ideas to another author to help them out? That would be possibly one of the stupidest things you could do. They could claim it as their own. Or, worse yet, what if they took what you had, and twisted it in away that you didn't like? Or even worse... what if they simply did it better than you?

Now imagine that by giving that story away, you have now lowered the gap of knowledge between you, and potentially other authors as well. Now imagine that knowledge can literally kill.

You might be able to understand one of the many reasons a magician would be hesitant to give away knowledge unique to them.

In the case of teaching students, its not like teaching them publicly available things is really going to have any downside for us.

But for us to take research we earned and we haven't even fully digested ourselves and allow another to make a brilliant discovery in our place? The thought would have to be nauseating to Patchouli.
>> No. 51901
>>51900
Which is why I'm all for, if we give away knowledge at all, to make a point of picking something that looks valid, and makes sense, but is actually a complete dead end, with possibly decades and centuries of research wasted once you manage to get to the point where the base assumptions break down.

Imagine, for example, magic based on the egyptian idea of true names. Only we know there is no such thing as a true name, and that the actual reason it works at all is because of something like a sympathetic connection formed by obsessing over perfectly summing up a single, discrete item for months, years and decades which mortal spellcasters don't have, and there is actually no way to disprove the method unless you approach it from a completely foreign paradigm - because it works, so it has to be valid, right? It surely just needs a bit of work to refine it. Meditating on the hypothetical names on bare mountaintops, indexing the different names of individual blades of grass and looking for similarities, and the like.

Subtle, deniable sabotage like that.

We set back potential competitors, get credit for being generous, and cost to us is minimal.
>> No. 51902
>>51900

The alchemical properties of Gensokyo's plant and animal life is most likely publicly available...in Gensokyo

such a book would hold immense value to an alchemist just being introduced to Gensokyo. How would you youkai possessiveness elitists feel about getting the man a commercially available guide, instead of a damn bottle of poison?
>> No. 51903
>>51902
Is there even a big enough population in Gensokyo to support that kind of thing? I mean, I don't doubt that they have printing press technology and create printed works of particularly popular books - but I really can't see an alchemical treatise on uniquely Gensokyo species being one of them.
>> No. 51904
>>51902

Two things:

> youkai possessiveness elitists

Just because someone uses an argument that you don't agree with does not make them an elitist. I'd recommend you never use that word again in an argument, unless you want to instantly look stupid, because you obviously do not know what it means. There's no need to be hostile with people that are just sharing their thoughts.

Its pretty stupid for you to act hostile about this in the first place, since Patchouli herself, in story was the one to outright deny the idea.

Second:
She might not have a problem giving him a guide from Gensokyo. Or she might view this as giving up exclusive access to a massive wealth of information.
>> No. 51905
[x] Whatever.
-[x] One of the bottle of wine should be poisoned with an exotic Gensokyan poison. You will have to wanr Snape of how many sips/drinks he can have per day before dropping dead, but that's fine.

Because fuck common poisons. Using regular shit is an insult. The man needs a challenge.
>> No. 51906
[x] As the overwhelming one, but
-[x] Not the poisons. Seriously, how is this a good idea? "Oh, we got your dream job, so now we're a) going to remind you you're still Potions master and b) give you a gift you can't enjoy as a gift without running tests on it." It's like giving two packages, one trapped, one not, to a bomb expert and expecting him to have fun figuring it out.
>> No. 51907
>>51906
He can enjoy it as a regular gift. That's what the mark is for. If he doesn't want to figure out himself which is which, he just looks at the corks. It's not really that complicated.
>> No. 51908
>>51896
Wow, shit likes this is one of the reasons why people think this is a "Gensokyo curbstomps HP LOL LOL LOL!!!" story.
>> No. 51909
>>51908
*like
>> No. 51910
>>51908

To be fair? It kind of *does*.
>> No. 51911
>>51908

But Gensokyo does curbstomps HP. LOL LOL LOL
>> No. 51912
>>51910
If you expand this from just Patchoulli to "all of Gensokyo" then you're dealing with Yukari. Yukari owns everything ever because her powers are incredibly vague and unfairly ill-defined.

Then again, these "my dad can beat up your dad" contests are pointless anyway.
>> No. 51913
Nah, I think at this point we're talking about Patchy solo. I mean, there's Dumbledore, and there's maybe Voldemort, who could maybe kinda-sorta compete with her if they were smart and she was holding the Idiot Ball.

... That's pretty much it.
>> No. 51914
>>51913
I would say that it's not so much the power levels we have to worry about. On a good day, the magician can wipe the floor of many people. However, Patchy's illness would be our greatest roadblock. That would probably be the reason why we can't just muscle through every irritant we come across.
>> No. 51915
>>51914
She will lose anyway if she gets punched in the face.
>> No. 51916
>>51915

That is what protective wards are for.

Also, just to be a dick, I'm going to use Hisoutensoku as evidence that Patchouli can survive being hit by a train.

/argument
>> No. 51917
>>51916

Well...technically that IS canon I guess. Hats off to you, sir.
>> No. 51918
>>51916
Well played. That would be definitive evidence.
>> No. 51919
File 133263993185.jpg- (129.38KB , 647x906 , 602bcbc02c8b197d2feda641fd2d9b71.jpg ) [iqdb]
51919
Well, there's no reason not to take a stroll.

... You aren't entirely sure how, but despite your intent being to keep an eye out for some manner of used book stores, since you're fairly certain you've cleaned out the 'new books' businesses of anything useful for your current purposes.... you've found yourself, a little later, finishing up treats at master Fortescue's ice cream parlor.

Tewi had indulged in a carrot-cake flavored sundae, while yours had been some extravagance of chocolate, cherries, and whipped cream. Treats completed, further wanderings find you out behind one St. Mungo's, where a spirited duel was being held on a raised dais prepared for the event. Questioning revealed the placement to be quite unexpectedly logical: should something go wrong, or someone become accidentally injured in the course of the duel, the medical facilities would be immediately at hand.

The duel itself is actually surprisingly spectacular to watch. Very theatric. Despite the limitations of sheer power, these wizards can actually be quite cunning in battle, should their minds be put to it. You place a small bet on one of the fighters. Naturally, he wins. You suspect Tewi may have meddled with the outcome.

The only remaining thing to do here is to locate a pair of local wine-bottles. Tewi takes possession of them for the moment. You can tamper with them later.

The next port of call is Hogwarts. You've dallied enough already, and it's time to raise up that new structure. Albus quickly makes himself present to watch, with interest, as you draw the deep stone from within the earth and shaping it into a convenient building, raising stone benches and desks for student seating as well as a platform and heavy podium to lecture from. It takes some extended effort to put everything in the proper shape, but once the last part of the roof has molded itself into place you are finished.

"Hey, hey. Stick another bedroom onto that tower, okay?" Tewi urges.

"A fascinating display of ability, as before." Albus says, stroking his beard thoughtfully. The discussion distracts you from asking why Tewi wants this modification made, and you just decide to pander to the rabbit's whim.

"It's simple. Merely 'moving' a substance already present, and then 'shaping it to the desired form'. As said before. The only concern is the matter of scale, and it is as yet rather crude. Ornamentation is a concern for after structural soundness has been assured, however."

"Of course, of course." Albus replies congenially. "In any case, young Sirius has come to a decision regarding you, and will allow you entry to his household, should you require a further meeting with Remus. Though, I must admit, it was something of a near thing."

"I see. In any case, I have begun to gather gifts for future co-workers. Most will not prove to be an issue..."

"Hey, I had an idea~" Tewi breaks in. "That one guy, the one who likes duels. Which do you think he'd like better? Having a good one, or watching a really good one?"

"... Hm, I believe Filius appreciates a bout of exertion now and again." Albus says, after a moment of thought. "But he has been known to spectate upon matches between skilled duelists, as it happens."

"So, Patchy... how'd you feel about putting on a show with someone on the staff?" Tewi asks, slow grin growing. "It's not like we're strangers to the thought of duels for fun~"

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 51920
[x] Agree to Tewi's sugsestion if your health allows for a good demonstration
>> No. 51921
[x] You don't see why not. More goodwill, in addition to that from your gifts can only help.
[x] If the duel isn't right away, go pick up gifts, make a mental note to get them before the teachers meet, or remind self that you have done one of those things.
[x] Then return to SDM.

We're going to get our asses kicked, most likely. Or given a huge run for our money.

Flitwick is awesome though so I'm okay with this.
>> No. 51922
[x] Agree to Tewi's sugsestion if your health allows for a good demonstration
-[x] Limit yourself a bit, though. You don't need to win, but it is better if you do. You don't want to give away your true power after all.
What better way than to prove your credentials, and garner respect (and quite a bit of fear) for your prowess? A good reputation is oft enough to head off upstart children, and gives yourself a good standing within the community.

Holding back a bit is needed, though, as even though we might not think the battle will truly test us, going all out without a care might cause more unsavory people to take interest in your power. All good mages need their secrets, after all.
>> No. 51923
[x] Duel.
[x] Duel to demonstrate skill and efficiency, not power.
[x] Attempt to fight the duel so that the opponent concedes because he or she has been forced into a no-win situation.
>> No. 51924
[x] duel
[x] Royal Flare
/thread

Just kidding.

[x] Duel
[x] Hold back, no need to go all out for what is all intents and purposes showboating.
>> No. 51925
>People talking about Patchy being able to beat up all the wizards
>Patchy sees wizard duels and is like "Damn they cunning"
>A fight is suggested
>"Oh yeah, this'll be easy"
>> No. 51926
[x] Agree to Tewi's sugsestion if your health allows for a good demonstration
-[x] Limit yourself a bit, though. You don't need to win, but it is better if you do. You don't want to give away your true power after all.
[x] If there's nothing else to do Outside, part ways with Dumbledore and return home.
-[x] Come to think of it, you completely forgot about the yukkuri Alice giving birth yesterday, being so tired. You should probably check on it.

>>51921
No chance of that being done today. It'S late enough for us and she just did craft a lecture hall.

And wait a bit... Sirius would let us visit? Even as his home is being used as the HQ of the Order? Either Dumbledore has some plan at work or he already realized Patchouli isn't getting into that conflict.

And with this...
>Albus frowns into his cup at the first taste. Clearly the flavor is suspiciously familiar to him.
I think it's safe to say Snape hasn't reported that visit and our opinion of the conflict to Albus.
>> No. 51927
>>51925

Basically. "Wizards are fairly cunning" != "can beat Patchy in a duel." Patchy ill and holding back, maybe.
>> No. 51928
There might be some commotion when they start flying without physical aids (brooms).
HP magic is strange in that regard if I remember correctly; levitation ia A-OK but flying was done only by Voldemort (or was that fanon)?
>> No. 51929
[x] Agree to Tewi's sugsestion if your health allows for a good demonstration
[x] Duel to demonstrate skill and efficiency, not power.
>> No. 51930
File 133265025464.gif- (25.48KB , 472x352 , yami_yugi.gif ) [iqdb]
51930
[x] Agree to Tewi's sugsestion if your health allows for a good demonstration
[x] Duel to demonstrate skill and efficiency, not power.
>> No. 51931
>>51928

No, he definitely flew on his own. Movie versions notwithstanding, he was the only person I think ever did, so Patchy flying would likely raise eyebrows.
>> No. 51932
>>51931

I dunno...Albus did say that most wizards lack any form of common sense. The thought that one could enchant things OTHER than broomsticks(such as a pair of shoes) with flight probably only occurred to Voldemort.
>> No. 51933
>>51932
Or, you know, SIRIUS BLACK, flying motorcycle and all that... or remember flying car? Thing is the bigger object is - the easier it's not to fall from it and with enchanted boots you most likely will spend most of the flight upside down.
>> No. 51934
>>51933
Don't forget flying carpets from Arabic wizards!
>> No. 51935
Did Tewi just invite herself into our living space?

That rabbit is getting awful cocky.
>> No. 51937
>>51935
Well we are friends at the very least. Furthermore, we haven't done anything to stop Tewi's advances. Man I'm bad at romance-y bits. I can't bear the thought of breaking either Tewi's or Marisa's heart, but at the same time a harem would be distasteful. But this is Patchy we're talking about, odds are she'll reject them both. Oh, the pain!
>> No. 51938
>>51935
Tewi has been helpful and pretty much kind to Patchy so far. We could almost say that they are friends. The good outweighs the bad right now, in the case of Tewi's presence. Besides, it would be child's play to collapse or seal the room later.
>> No. 51945
>>51935
It's fine. Having the rabbit close by makes it easier to keep up that luck bonus. Actually, it might be a good idea to visit Reimu again, one of these days, so we can get some hot spring bonus too.
>> No. 51950
>>51935
Frogs ;)
>> No. 51951
>>51950

Don't do that.
>> No. 51952
>>51951
My bad, forgot where I was.
>> No. 51955
File 133278814074.png- (91.97KB , 480x640 , 066a4d3830ebfcb4d45db0aa13501a1de00e388e.png ) [iqdb]
51955
"I suppose that would be acceptable." You note. ... And potentially theatric enough to take hold of Yukari's interest, or demonstrate your level of capability to the students. "Provided that my health is sufficient to put on a fair showing."

"Capital!" Albus says, seeming pleased at the thought. "The students will be overjoyed to hear of a formal duel between faculty. I do not doubt that there will be a few wagers placed upon the event."

... It seems his train of thought has echoed yours, to some degree.

"In any case, I believe Filius would be delighted to cross wands. It will be a pleasant diversion. Or of course, if another member of the faculty proved willing."

... He does not, you note, offer to duel in the Charms instructor's place. It can only be expected you suppose, and you are uncertain you wish to discover how you fare against Albus in any case. But it certainly seems that if you decide to make such an attempt, you will have to be the one to issue the challenge.

"I will give the matter consideration, for now." You say, thinking over the matter. It's likely that, as none else were mentioned as accomplished duelists, Filius is the most skilled and capable opponent available. Except, perhaps, Albus himself. You doubt the man would be completely satisfied with a showing against a less capable co-worker.

But, again, the castle is the heart and seat of Albus' power. You aren't certain of the wisdom of even a 'friendly' duel with another magician, in such a location. As foolhardy a thought as most others attempting an assault upon you in your own library.

Well, in any case, adjustments to the Tower have been made.

---
>> No. 51956
File 133278840027.jpg- (230.92KB , 639x480 , 5496dfa56e79ebe26c1e50a94a4ce3b668bb2564.jpg ) [iqdb]
51956
The time has come to answer a few of your paltry concerns, and matters confusing to you will be laid simply bare.

Stabbing- This would be a minor inconvenience, since you have healing potions at hand, and it would fix itself sooner or later anyway. You'd still prefer not to. Particularly for the sake of another Magician.

Lunar Runes- All these seem to do is to destroy magical barriers in their trajectory. Beyond this, the projectile used is no more than a simple bullet. Granted, however, should an opponent be expecting their magical barriers to be sufficient defense, a simple bullet is likely more than sufficient.

Yukkuri Battle Feasibility- Minimal, regarding direct confrontations. Rachel likely harbors some degree of the natural regeneration, and magic make magical barriers available, to cover for the creatures' natural fragility, however, neither are infallible. Using them as student opposition would be unwise. Using unwanted spare subjects as objectives of battle, however, re: their defense/destruction, may be feasible.

Umbridge- Seems incompetent thus far. You will withhold judgement for the moment, however, at least until you are capable of making first-hand observations.

Possessiveness- As a magician, you will not be handing out any of your secrets if given any other reasonable option. Particularly to other magicians, who may be capable of using them. This is common practice, and combines a healthy dose of paranoia and spite towards other practitioners. This is not to say that you would never give knowledge to another, but you much prefer that they thoroughly earn it, and you come off significantly the better for the exchange than they do. Standard and traditional practice is, as you have made note before, a year and a day of servitude in exchange for a boon or spell. Though you are willing to make alternate accommodations, of course.

Alice- You never impregnated this one. You collected samples for impregnation, but only two, and impregnated the scarred Reimu and the Yuka. The Alice has been sitting patiently and un-impregnated in its enclosure, awaiting your interest to turn back to it for experimentation.

You are now educated. You are welcome.
>> No. 51958
New Thread: >>51957


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x