[Return]
Archived Thread
File 132002474323.jpg - (233.78KB , 850x850 , sample-ebd374080c1d3f9cf0bb4460282d5337.jpg ) [iqdb]
48888 No. 48888
You are Patchouli Knowledge, a physically frail and sickly magician of profound aptitude and power. You live in the Voile Archives of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, though it seems like a temporary relocation is in your near future. You are Friends with Remilia, the vampire who owns the mansion, who considers it entirely too much effort to try to feed off you. Your Magical Potency varies somewhat from day to day, depending on how long of an incantation you can manage before breaking off into a fit of coughs, and how much strain your body can handle in addition to the rigors of illness. You currently have a box of one hundred vials of Medication stored in the library to offset the worst of the days, however, though it will later exact a toll, and your new Magical Focus eases use of magic to a significant degree. It seems that Luck can play a reasonable part in keeping yourself healthy, as can the Hakurei Hot Spring.

Your magic is based on Elementalism primarily, though you are also skilled in Diabolism and Other Summonings, which can be surprisingly versatile, particularly in combination with Golems. You can also create Homunculi, if you have the materials to hand. You have the most important ingredient in stock, but it will all be useless after a few days, at most.

You have spent some time taking care of business, followed by discovering Yukari's Meddlesome Amusement and making your initial response to that. Upon your return, you discovered the entry of a Yukkuri with what appears to be above average cognitive function, and its companion/wife. It seems they will be having a litter soon. You have no firm plans about them, but have already begun initial study, almost out of habit more than anything else. In any case, it seems like Sakuya will not let you throw her new pet out, at least.

Dinner has been served, and following it you are currently in deep thought, regarding a number of matters.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 48891
[x] Discuss the bribing matter with Sakuya. You're not sure a gift of yukkuris is a good idea. Perhaps she know something that would work?
[x] Suggest that Meiling capture at least part of the nest for the R-type.
[x] Better start thinking about the school schedule. Do you want to teach a small number of bigger classes or many smaller classes? Will you have the energy (and patience) to handle many students or many classes?
>> No. 48892
[x] Clear your schedule. You're making as many homunculi as you possibly can.

Yukari's plan can wait. School plans can wait. Yukkuri plans can wait. Homunculi cannot wait.
>> No. 48893
>>48892
It can wait tomorrow morning at least. Not sure we have enough time now and we'll either likely see her tomorrow afternoon or now, depending on how urgent she deems the matter.
>> No. 48894
>>48893
Yeah, it can wait until tomorrow.

It's just, some people wanted a timeskip earlier. Here's your timeskip. At the end of it, we get an army. Won't that be nice?
>> No. 48896
>>48894
Each vial is worth one use and we have a satchel's worth. Probably far too small a number to be called an army.
>> No. 48907
Bribes for ran:

[X] Bring a handful of catnip mice and enchant them to run around for Chen to catch.
[X] Bring Ran a Zabuza sword scrying mirror attuned to Chen, that way she can know where Chen is at all times, and as such, have more free time to herself.

plans for yukkuis:

The spider is just sitting around webbing in the darkness not even doing anything right? lets give her a job.

[X] Get Yamame to try and teach the yukkuris to read. Even recognizing a single word would be a good start. Bribe her with alcohol.

place-holder vote. Want to see what everyone else is suggesting before finalizing it.
>> No. 48909
[X] Get Yamame to try and teach the yukkuris to read. Even recognizing a single word would be a good start. Bribe her with alcohol.
[x] Homunculus work tomorrow as well.
>> No. 48911
[x] The only reason you're keeping these things around without any specific plans for them is their obvious respect for books. Besides Sakuya's R-pattern, which likely only cares about books because its future children will need them (which very strongly suggests they will be P-patterns), the P-pattern should be the only type worth keeping for now. Check the nest for P-patterns and let the gatekeeper take care of the rest. Even if the R-pattern needs to eat meat, it's Sakuya's pet.
-[x]Still might want to put a roof on the enclosure just in case.
[x]If there's still time, take Reimu's advice and visit Ran with some gifts.
-[x]An animated mouse statue seems like a decent idea, but you may wish to make it out of softer material such as clay in case Chen tries to eat it.
-[x]Create a small pointing device with a low-power variant of the giant's laser eyes at the tip so it produces a small point of light where it is aimed.

This reminds me, will that giant who wanted to become a homunculi still be able to shoot laser beams out of his eyes when he becomes one?
>> No. 48912
>>48911
Pretty sure the powerup was inscribed on the stone. Doubt it will work with flesh.
>> No. 48913
[x] Discuss the bribing matter with Sakuya. You're not sure a gift of yukkuris is a good idea. Perhaps she know something that would work?
[x] Plan on making use of the Homunculi ingredients. Besides the tailor-made one, would there be any specific characteristics that might be desirable, so we have one for a variety of use cases?
[x] Let the gatekeeper handle the nest.
>> No. 48914
[x] Discuss the bribing matter with Sakuya. You're not sure a gift of yukkuris is a good idea. Perhaps she know something that would work?
[x] Suggest that Meiling capture at least part of the nest for the R-type.
[x] Better start thinking about the school schedule. Do you want to teach a small number of bigger classes or many smaller classes? Will you have the energy (and patience) to handle many students or many classes?
[x] Refresh your memory on how to make homunculi.

Yukari's project involved golems, and I don't think we actually got around to re-reading how to make homunculi.
>> No. 48915
>>48914
We did read on it.
>> No. 48919
[X] Get Yamame to try and teach the yukkuris to read. Even recognising a single word would be a good start. Bribe her with alcohol.

All the other planning votes sound fine, but this sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Plus she isnt busy anyway.
>> No. 48920
>>48896
They can lead the golem squads, then. Presumably they'll be at least a little smarter than a golem if we teach them well.
>> No. 48922
>>48919
Yamane almost ate Marisa once. I don't really think we can trust her with yukkuris.
>> No. 48923
>>48919
This just seems like it would be a waste of time. We've got so many more worthwhile things to spend our time (or the spider's time) on, such as preparing for the school year, building an information network to look for portals when they pop up, or making homunculi.

Even assuming Yukkuri could be taught, what do we stand to gain by teaching them to read? It's certainly a worthy experiment, but one that should be run by you once you have enough time to do it properly: I.E., likely not during the school year.
>> No. 48925
>>48922

She didn't know she wasn't supposed to eat Marisa. so far she's been well behaved. Also, that's what the alcohol is for; an added incentive to get the job done.

>>48923

I agree. It's a massive waste of time, but as far as wastes of time go, this one is pretty interesting.

Yamame has just been sitting around doing nothing for the past few days anyway. Since she needs to stay in the library anyway(constant war with Patchy's illness) she might as well be doing something.
>> No. 48926
>>48925
I can totally see your point. This is an interesting endeavor, and Yamame has indeed been laying around drinking beer.

The point I wish to raise is that as long as we're bribing her to do something with beer, we may wish to have her do something that brings more immediate benefits.
>> No. 48927
[x]Ignore the yukkuris for now, we have bigger fish to fry and more interesting plots to follow.
>> No. 48931
>>48919
>>48909
>>48907

Here's the million dollar question; how the heck do we know that Yamame can read?
>> No. 48934
Just a notice: Making yukkuris happy here is good. Why? Because it means Sakuya going to Voile more often. Since Marisa's break-ins are usually violent, this is likely to make the two of them terrorized and that's not even considering the future childs. Meaning Sakuya will not be pleased with Marisa's break-ins and may take action aout it.

Even if it only means Marisa cannot use huge firepower about it, a restriction like this may make it easier to prepare defenses for.
>> No. 48935
> Chen present
> Inside of Tewi's yukkuri is carrot cake
> Inside of yukkuri is sweets
> Spoil Chen
> Sweets
> SACRIFICE
>> No. 48936
Making yukkuri happy is good because they're cute and I like reading about them.

[x] Teach the P-type to read. Somehow.
[x] Get Marisa drunk.

Now's as good a time as any to see how chatty Marisa is.
>> No. 48937
[x] Capture the nest yourself right now.
[x] Better start thinking about the school schedule. Do you want to teach a small number of bigger classes or many smaller classes? Will you have the energy (and patience) to handle many students or many classes?
>> No. 48938
[X] Get Flandre a dinosaur.
>> No. 48939
File 132004379254.jpg- (439.72KB , 1191x842 , 5056de84256e97d69143f057685d9d85.jpg ) [iqdb]
48939
"Alert Meiling." You say, having come to a decision. "That the nest should be harvested, not exterminated. I haven't decided what to do with them quite yet."

"She won't be happy if they aren't punished somehow." Sakuya points out. "Nearly a full acre of flowerbeds were ruined in the southwestern quadrant of the grounds, and will take some time to grow back once properly re-seeded. It's likely that some of the bushes can be salvaged, but not all. She estimated that there were at least a dozen working in concerted effort at it... possibly greater than eleven still in the nest. Likely two parents, and two or more litters worth of young."

"She can rest assured that whatever happens, it will likely not be pleasant for them." You say, waving a hand. "The two warring decisions are whether to use them as fodder for these... or to give them as gifts to a certain Youkai."

"Hm. It would be an interesting gift, at that." Sakuya muses aloud.

"I am uncertain as to how it will come across, however. Particularly if I offer them as playthings, and they prove to be spiteful little beasts." You say.

"That is true. It might be better to take some few of the younger ones, that haven't had time to learn many bad habits, and add a second gift alongside them. If they are even slightly well behaved, then you can't really be blamed for it if they have difficulty keeping them as pets. Of course, you could always simply phrase it so that it's clear that you intend the gift in the form of food. Other food items would likely lend credence to this..."

"Yes, I suppose that would work. And leave a number to fill the stomachs of those hunters." You say, and Sakuya shrugs with a mild 'caught' expression. "I suppose I can count on your assistance in that regard, then?"

"Yes. I don't doubt a chocolate cake will be a sufficient gift, in addition to two, perhaps three of the young ones. Do take care not to let them get into the box, however." Sakuya says. "You should recall that they can eat an unusual amount for their size, particularly when small, and even if they do not ingest it all they will thoroughly spoil what is left in their eagerness."

"Much as they did the flowers, yes, I am aware of this." You say, looking around. The spider is located after a moment, slumbering on top of a bookshelf. A mere flexing of will and a stone hand appears, carefully lifting her up, moving her just a bit to the side, and then dropping her. She appears to wake up in mid-fall, not quite fast enough to stop falling and start flying.

"... Why this again?" She says, not even bothering to immediately rise from her prone position.

"Can you read, spider?" You ask, simply.

"Ah... Enough." Yamame says after an awkward moment. "I don't have any trouble reading a bar menu or blueprints for construction, or anything, and I can read off a poem or two if I need to. Can't really... rush through books the way I've seen you do, though."

"Rejoice, then, for you will soon have the ability to advance your own education with this task." You say dryly, pointing at the enclosure. "I'm not sure these can read at all. You're to figure out whether they can and, if not, attempt their instruction."

"... Aw, yeesh. What a pain." Yamame complains. "I've got to do this... why?"

"I'll write up a brief starter for you to work on them with." You say, scribbling down a few lines, and marking it with a quick doodle at the top and the bottome before handing the paper over.

... The spider looks a little flustered, as she reads slowly through it. Not unexpected, as you have jotted down a childish tale of a spider who snuck into a person's wine cellar, gorged itself on the alcohol inside, turned aside a task given it by the owner, and was thereafter set alight in its web by the owner, the alcohol in its system adding fuel to the fire.

"... Subtle." Yamame says flatly. "The twitching and burning spider at the bottom is a nice touch. Fine, fine. If I have to."

"I should probably head off, myself." Tewi says, then waves you over. Without ceremony, she places a brief kiss on your cheek. "For luck. I get the feeling you'll need a little bit." She says, waving as she starts away. "I'll come by sometime in a few days, all right?"

You turn and head to bed still thinking. First of the schedule: if you have more classes, the students would doubtless be easier to control, but you would have less time to hunt down portals, or whatever else might need doing. Larger classes might be more unruly, but you would have more spare time, and you don't doubt you can keep the children in line somehow, if it comes down to it. As for Homunculi.. You could probably have Marisa handle a standard vat, once properly prepared. All that really needs is to have magic fed into it at regular intervals. It wouldn't nearly be as demanding a process as the almost constant focus required to craft one to more exacting specifications.

These thoughts on your mind, you retire.

---

The day is Aug 25, 7 days to term.
It is Thursday: Day of Wood.
-- Yamame, Hot Springs+10,luck+5, Medicine Backlash -8
Your health level is 58/100: Slightly better than average. You don't feel well, but you've felt worse.

---

You are nudged awake a fair bit earlier than you normally rise by the spider, who looks somewhat vexed herself about the hour.

"Hey. Those things of yours. One's having babies. Or something. They're being loud about it. Do something. I'm going back to sleep now." She says, then falls over without ceremony. Now that you are aware to listen, you believe you can hear the things raised, shrill voices.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 48940
[X] Moon Sign "Silent Selene"

If the spell succeeds:
--[X] Let nature take it's course, go back to sleep.

If it fails:
--[X] Get up and go see what the little beasts are up to.
>> No. 48941
That was a very interesting interpretation of "bribe her with alcohol".
>> No. 48942
Hahaha. What a way to wake up~
>>48940
That's not what that spellcard does... is it??

[x] Sakuyaaaaaaaa!
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies.
[x] Take your medicine.
>> No. 48943
>>48942

Actually, it is. Remember the noisy kappa incident?
>> No. 48944
>>48943
No. Yes. I had forgotten.

I don't want to ignore the glorious miracle that is birth, anyway.
>> No. 48945
Something tells me the medicine backlash is not a fixed number and will keep increasing with consecutive days of taking medicine.

I think the medicine should only be used for class days and other important stuff, not daily
>> No. 48946
Huh. Well, that throughly debunks the idea that luck always provides a large bonus. Hot springs bonus seems constant, though.

>>48945

Whatever gave you that idea? The backlash is still half the amount of health granted (17/2 rounded down). I could understand concerns about eventually developing a resistance to the medication, but this worry about increasing backlash just comes straight out of nowhere.

[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.

Wonder what ratio the babies will come in. This should be interesting.
>> No. 48947
>>48945
I think it should be used daily. Doctor's orders. Are you a doctor? No?
>> No. 48948
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.

We don't quite need to take meds yet, so let's see how a 58 leaves us for (what ought to be) a relatively calm day. Gifts for Ran, saying Hi to the tengu, etc.
>> No. 48949
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.
>> No. 48950
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.

I believe Sakuya still is under the same impression as Remilia was. That the R-pattern is the daddy.

This should be fun.
>> No. 48951
>>48946
>I can understand a worry about eventually developing a resistance to the medication
But... but.. not taking prescribed medication as directed by a doctor is what makes diseases resistant!

>Here's how we contribute to the problem:
>Ignoring the brightly colored labels on the pill bottle and the doctor's admonitions to take all of the medicine that you get, even if you start to feel better. If you stop taking your medicine too early, your immune system may not be capable of killing off the stragglers, and any resistant bacteria left unscathed will be able to proliferate and spread to other people.

It might not apply to Fantasy Disease, but for fuck's sake ignoring our Fantasy Doctor is not a good idea! Please stop!
>> No. 48952
>>48951

Hey, I never said to stop taking the medicine. Just pointing out how concerns on one end were justified but not so for the other end.

Also, regarding resistance, two different categories of drugs: antibiotics, and symptom relief. Antibiotics target pathogens, intending to wipe out the entire disease, and so it's true that not finishIng the entire course selects for antibiotic resistant pathogens. Symptom relief drugs do not target the bacteria but rather target receptors on the body, which down regulate over time given constant exposure to the drug. It's why people who constantly take painkillers need higher dosages to achieve the same effect. Same principle applies for smokers (nicotine is also a drug).

From what we're seeing, the purpose of Eirin's drug is not to kill off the disease entirely. It's more like symptom relief, hence developing drug resistance given overexposure is not outside the realm of possibility, although I certainly wouldn't suggest reducing consumption of our medicine on purpose until such evidence manifests. In any case, even if the drug targets the disease directly, it's not capable of killing it off completely, and so the effect is the same as the example of not finishing antibiotic courses as you mentioned. Taking it more would actually accelerate devlopment of resistance, if the disease was so inclined to devlop it. There's no evidence to suggest that either way, althoughbagain, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
>> No. 48953
[x] Drink medicine before doing anything else, damn it!
>> No. 48955
>>48952
That was unexpected. Thank you for the schooling.

I still think we should do as Eirin said and let her sort it out.
>I didn't say to stop taking it.
You didn't vote to take it today, though.
>> No. 48957
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.
>> No. 48958
Oh, and Yamame can tell us whether the disease is gaining resistance. If that happens, we go to Eirin and tell her. She gives us a different, hopefully better drug. That's how this is supposed to work.

It's not like it's hard to visit Eirin, either. She's a portal trip away.
>> No. 48959
[x] Take your medicine.
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.
>> No. 48960
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.
[x] Take notes on the birthing process.
>> No. 48961
[x] Take your medicine.
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.

Fair enough. While I'd prefer to never again read a single word about yukkuri my wish is unlikely to be fulfilled and I might as well make the best of the situation.
>> No. 48962
/sdm/ - Patchy Quest

And I am loving it
>> No. 48963
>>48959

[x] [x] [x] [x] ditto

At the end of the last thread, we sent out a note.  Who was it to? Keine?  Ran?  If we've set up a meeting for today, we should probably plan on taking care of that first, before getting embroiled in something else...
>> No. 48964
[x] Take your damn medicine. The doctor is better than us at this, listen to her.
[x] Study the miracle of birth.
[x] Be the patchurri.
>> No. 48965
File 132007720028.jpg- (53.11KB , 800x600 , kotominel.jpg ) [iqdb]
48965
>"Rejoice, then, for you will soon have the ability to advance your own education with this task."

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

[x] Take your medicine.
[x] Pat the spider on the head. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.
>> No. 48966
[x] Thank the spider. As wretched of an hour as this may be, waking you was still the right choice.
[x]Take your medicine.
[x] Call for Sakuya. Having claimed the R-type as a pet, she should have a vested interest in being present for this.
[x] Make sure the P-Type doesn't misappropriate any books for its babies. Perhaps some minor books could be spared for them, though. If they tend to imprint on their parents, perhaps the entire litter could be taught to respect your books, reducing the chances of any vandalism from them.
[x] Take notes on the birthing process. While the R-type's statement that the babies need books suggests that they will be P-types, there are no guarantees.

While I'm disappointed we ended up trying to teach them to read, I suppose it's not that bad - it's the spider's time, and we may get teaching insight out of it.

Also, I propose we hold larger classes, keeping the students in line with magically formed high-velocity pieces of chalk. More free time is always good, plus we'll get more flexibility when we form the schedule.
>> No. 48967
>>48966
I also agree on classes with whole years. We won't need to step on anyone's toes when holding pratical lessons with the whole year already with us. Periods we'll take per class may vary however: while one period is enough for the youngers students, should we hold double classes for the older ones?

At the very least, we can suggest it to Albus. He can say if it's needed or not.
>> No. 48968
File 132009247768.png- (134.39KB , 500x500 , 188c17f399aed81e89ed7d20ea0802a3666c232d.png ) [iqdb]
48968
Your first inclination is to simply drape the area in a veil of silence and return to sleep.

Manipulating the lunar elements, however, is not the sort of task you feel easily accomplished with a pounding headache, first thing in the morning, not even out of bed yet. Perhaps later, after a cup of bracing tea. Possibly following medication. Oh, yes, medicine. Today seems to be shaping up to be absolutely marvelous. You might as well take a dose right away, so as to be a little better prepared.

You lurch out of bed and stagger out of your room, stone hands lifting the spider from the floor to your bed as an afterthought, wincing as the volume increases as you pass the door, and delay that matter as you stumble to the box of vials. It only takes a moment to drink the substance, and the stabbing sensation behind your eyeballs lessens, and other less notable symptoms grudgingly fade. +18 = 76

"Sakuya." You call, still not quite ready to raise your voice as you make your way over to your desk and rummage through drawers until you find the thin, soft, and all but impermeable gloves you are looking for, and tug them on.

"Id hurdz!" The R-pattern wails as the maid appears and you approach. It is thrashing on its back, in the midst of a tantrum from the pain of labor. "Babies. Babies hurding Remirya! Whyy?"

The P-pattern calls out some manner of encouragement, but seems very wary of approaching. Probably wise, given that the R-pattern's nails have dug thin furrows into the floor of the enclosure. Marisa is awake and seems distressed.

"I don't know what to do about this, I never have these things around for more than a day!" She rambles, clearly not yet fully awake and not at her best. "Do they... is it like puppies, or... should there be hot water?"

"Calm. Take hold of its arms, it's only going to hurt itself and the infants with the thrashing. Sakuya, food will be needed shortly, for both the mother and children."

"I would have bet fair money that that one was the father, too." She says, sighing. "Very well, it will be here shortly."

You nod, already taking mental notes as you step into the enclosure. Marisa seems to have been scratched a little before getting the R-pattern's arms locked in place, though not badly. It's still struggling, but weakly, tired from the efforts.

"Remirya be calm. Babies coming. Be careful not to hurt babies." The P-pattern says.

"But babies are hurding Remirya." the other whimpers.

"The pain will pass." You say, setting a hand on its engorged stomach, feeling the writhing inside, and then lifting its skirt for a closer look. The P-pattern seems a little affronted at that, but the R-pattern is in no state to object.

"Birthing canal is dilated." You note, as Sakuya returns with a covered tray and a pail. "But spasming. Sharp noises or surprises will likely cause involuntary pseudo-muscle spasms and clenching. If similarity to previous specimens holds in this regard, this will result in the loss of any infant in the canal at the time."

"You must relax, little one." Sakuya says soothingly.

"Bud id hurds..." The R-pattern complains, trembling. "Id hurds, id hurds, id hurds... helb me, Saguyaaa..."

The maid makes soothing noises and strokes at the things hair. This seems to calm it slightly, but it is still trembling, and the canal is still perfectly ready to contract violently, on a moment's notice. After a moment's thought, you begin to carefully rub and stroke at the area. The R-pattern gasps, and shudders.

"Id... id feels good? Bud it hurds. Bud it feels good? Bud it hurds." It stammers.

"The pain will leave with the infants." You say clinically, continuing to carefully massage the pain away. The trembling in the canal lessens significantly under the ministration, and after a little longer it stops complaining of the pain, only breathing heavily. There are other, clearly visible with its skirt hitched up to reveal the canal, side effects from this procedure, which you studiously ignore. There's a trickle of something coming out. With the R-pattern's interior being composed of some manner of meat product, it has a very similar appearance to blood. You make a note of that, as the first infant begins pushing its way free of its mother. The P-pattern has made its way over to cautiously watch as it crawls free and drops just a bit to the floor.

Then it picks itself up and flaps into the air, a bodied miniature of its mother, staring wide-eyed at its surroundings.

"Baby?" The P-pattern says, softly.

"... Daddy!" The small R-pattern proclaims, continuing on to giggle and chirp "Gonna get you~"

You ignore the familial bonding moment as you turn to attend to the mother once more. It proves to have prepared a litter well on the larger side of things for spawning, as next to come out is a bodiless P-pattern, which shudders in place for a moment before hopping carefully out of the way. Two more bodied R-patterns follow that, one with longer than normal hair, of an off, in-between shade of its parents. Then comes a bodied P-pattern, which is unsteady on its feet and falls down as it toddles over to the Daddy.

Walking on two legs seems like a more difficult prospect than you normally think about, seeing the difficulty this one has in moving in comparison to its siblings, who either fly or bounce easily. The theory arises that this mutation is passed on with reasonable frequency, once it has occurred and provided a bearer survives to breeding age, but while it increases survivability at later ages, in the younger stages it decreases it. Presuming that the breed cannot fly of their own will, having a body initially reduces maneuverability until the specimen can become used to how its legs work, and while it opens up the later possibility of tool-use, this leaves it as easier prey than the simpler types, which spring from the womb or stalk every bit as capable of unaided motion as their parents.

You push the thought aside as the next begins to show itself, another unbodied P-pattern, followed by a bodied R-pattern, and then a third unbodied P-pattern joins the rest. The mother looks perfectly prepared to call it quits by this point, but the canal does not contract and, with some coaxing, the first bodiless R-pattern squirms its way free, followed with some hesitation by a second bodied P-pattern, which has as much trouble stumbling over to the rest of its family as the first did, falling over twice.

You continue the gentle massage for some time, but as the canal contracts of its own volition it becomes clear that the birthing process is complete and there is no longer any clinical purpose to your efforts. It makes a wordless noise of distress anyway, for obvious reasons, when you remove your hand, but calms itself when Sakuya displays a treat for effort.

An even split, five of both patterns. Odd that the R-patterns seem more disposed towards being bodied, but with their capacity for flight, it's clear that they would suffer effectively none of the drawbacks of a land-bound variation before they had worked out the subtleties of putting one foot before the other, as if the situation required they could simply lift off. By comparison, the P-patterns only display a 3-2 ratio, and seem to remain in favor of the bodiless blob-form types.

As the R-pattern recuperates from the ordeal, the P-pattern seems to have some difficulty with handling the children's feeding. The p-patterns initially set into the offered food with relative obedience, but it seems that the r-patterns have mostly turned their nose up at it, aside from the one with odd hair.

"Babies must eat!" The P-pattern insists, trying to lift what takes you a moment to confirm to be a lung of some sort up at them. The blob-form knocks it out of its hand, and one of the normal bodied types jeers.

"Daddy ish shtupid. Reimirya don't wanna eat bad food. Remirya wantj tasty food! Gibe pudding and sweetj for Remirya!"

"Sweets are not good food for babies!" The P-pattern insists again, as the mutant child seems caught up in indecision, not sure whether to side with her Daddy and eat the food offered, or with her sisters, spurning it in the hope of something better being brought out. The commotion seems to have gotten the attention of the p-pattern infants, and at least two of the three blob-forms look like they are considering overturning their meal onto the floor and joining their siblings in the strike for sweets.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 48969
If we do whole years, we should also do smaller classes with worthy students. More chances for character development that way.
>> No. 48970
[x] Evolution seems to be in need of little help now. Remove the ill behaved R-patterns and isolate them.
[x] Motivate the hybrid R-pattern to listen to its daddy.

Keep thing under control. Can't let the potential the P-patterns have be ruined by influence of the R-patterns
>> No. 48971
[x] Unnatural selection.
-[x] Isolate the R-patterns until they accept the food, possibly having Marisa or Koakuma watch over them to prevent cannibalism.
[x] Begin preparations for crafting homunculi after getting some breakfast and tea.

In line with the previous anon, I really do wonder what Hagrid would think about Yukkuris. We'll have to bring him a sample once school starts, though he's going to leave a bad first impression, what with the steak over his mauled face and all.
>> No. 48976
[x] Give the P-pattern its stick back, or some other method of handling things itself.
[x] Discipline the problems yourself if it refuses. Harshly.
[x] Homunculus preparations after tea.

The daddy will learn to discipline properly like this. If Sakuya complains, fuck her.
>> No. 48977
[x]Remilia just gave birth to you, and you're the father. Realize how incredibly creepy this situation actually is.
>> No. 48978
[x] Start a breeding and eugenics program. Start by removing the ill-behaved ones.
[x] Consider studying the magic that makes them work, see if you can unravel the more annoying bits. It would be helpful if they didn't inspire hatred so easily, for example.
>> No. 48979
[X]Have tea then start preparing for work on homunculi.
>> No. 48981
Seriously, I'm starting to wish we had completely failed the side-quest. We have better things to do with our time.

Frankly, I don't care how we vote for them, but we need to get those vats started if they need time to be ready (the ones for testing potions, as it was noted the golem's new body will need our full attention the whole time).

...Actually, that would give something for the guy to do after he get a body less likely to crush the yukkuris (as much as I start to wish he does).
>> No. 48983
>>48977

Whoa...what the heck are you reading dude? can I get a link to that?
>> No. 48984
[x] Unnatural selection. Isolate any troublemakers, making sure the can't fly off into the library.
-[x] See if the P-type objects.  If so, return its stick and see if it can get them under control.  Continued Mr. Book privileges may depend on good behavior.
-[x] Otherwise give the troublemakers to Flandre. You have more pressing matters to attend to and she might like some toys shaped after her sister.  If Sakuya doesn't like this idea, she can deal with them instead.
[x] Begin preparations for crafting homunculi after getting some breakfast and tea.

Ug.  I may never eat another jelly donut again.  Though I am wondering if yukkuri-wrangling might be a suitable low-level punishment for unruly students, as it would also include some rudimentary mental defense practice.
>> No. 48985
>>48984
Hm, well.

On the one hand, I can see Patchy doing that. Certainly can.

On the other hand, it's incredibly evil; the things are sapient, and you know many of them would end up dying. So is breeding them, of course. *shudder*
>> No. 48986
>>48981
How fucking dense do you have to be to not realize that Kahi likes writing about yukkuri? This is some lovingly described shit.

I won't be replying to any replies to this post, to head off any potential arguments.
>> No. 48987
>>48986
...Him liking to write it and me liking it are two entirely different things.

Fact: Just because he's a great writer doesn't mean a reader have to auto-like everything he writes.
>> No. 48988
>>48985
Eh. If the writer doesn't have characters notice evil, no readers will either. See for yourself: http://yudkowsky.net/other/fiction/the-sword-of-good
>> No. 48989
[x] Unnatural selection. Isolate any troublemakers, making sure the can't fly off into the library.
-[x] See if the P-type objects. If so, return its stick and see if it can get them under control. Continued Mr. Book privileges may depend on good behavior.
-[x] Otherwise give the troublemakers to Flandre. You have more pressing matters to attend to and she might like some toys shaped after her sister. If Sakuya doesn't like this idea, she can deal with them instead.
[x] Begin preparations for crafting homunculi after getting some breakfast and tea.

Seeing as some Reimu-types once tried to mess with the library, enforcing basic self-control from the beginning should be paramount. We also should take into account that the Remilia-types are likely to have no innate respect for books. As they also seem more headstrong, it may be wise to only keep the P-types. Still, it may prove interesting to see if the love for "Mr.Book" is instinctual or learned.
>> No. 48993
[x] Unnatural selection. Isolate any troublemakers, making sure the can't fly off into the library.
-[x] See if the P-type objects. If so, return its stick and see if it can get them under control. Continued Mr. Book privileges may depend on good behavior.
-[x] Otherwise give the troublemakers to Flandre. You have more pressing matters to attend to and she might like some toys shaped after her sister. If Sakuya doesn't like this idea, she can deal with them instead.
[x] Begin preparations for crafting homunculi after getting some breakfast and tea.

I really don't care for these things at all. They are much unneeded filler.
>> No. 48996
You know, it's amazing how none included to ask Sakuya's opinion on the matter. Isn't she here too?

[x] Ask Sakuya's opinion on the matter. How much discipline should be applied here?
-[x] Consider that if not now, you'll be far too busy to look after them once term starts.
>> No. 48998
File 132010740941.jpg- (638.08KB , 1000x1000 , 31b48c9e6159aef366f7629a6781fced.jpg ) [iqdb]
48998
[x] Give the P-pattern its stick back, or some other method of handling things itself.
[x] Homunculus preparations after tea.

Look, the more capable the largest P-type is of taking care of its brood, the less dependent they'll be on us. It benefits both those of you who dislike dealing with them and those of us who wish for them to be successful.

Self-sufficiency means we won't need to directly involve ourselves. Good outcome all around.

Besides, Yukkuris are adorable.
>> No. 48999
[x] Give the P-pattern its stick back, or some other method of handling things itself.
[x] Homunculus preparations after tea.

If anybody cares, so far our Yamame influenced HP rolls, modifiers removed, were: 56, 69, 75, 70, 51
This corresponds to a normal distribution with µ=64.2 and σ=9.1, although the sample size is still way too small.
>> No. 49000
[x] Unnatural selection. Isolate any troublemakers, making sure the can't fly off into the library.
-[x] See if the P-type objects. If so, return its stick and see if it can get them under control. Continued Mr. Book privileges may depend on good behavior.
>> No. 49001
>>48998
You have a well argued point there. My only objection is what would happen if the mature P-type is unable to rein in its children, or even joins them in rebellion.
>> No. 49002
File 132011063262.jpg- (128.96KB , 700x727 , a.jpg ) [iqdb]
49002
Unrelated, but I'm quite enjoying this part of the story... and it's about Yukkuri, something I've never had any special interest in.
You surprise me yet again, Kahl
>> No. 49003
I'm just waiting for this to be a super important plot point.
>> No. 49004
>>49002
What he said.
>> No. 49005
>>49001
If it's unable to rein in its children, it'll probably be killed and eaten by its babies. Such is the way of yukkuri. The yukkuri protagonist definitely isn't going to rebel.
>> No. 49007
[x] Give the P-pattern its stick back, or some other method of handling things itself.
[x] Homunculus preparations after tea.

So yeah, if Patchurri remains as intelligent and intuitive as it was when we were controlling it, things should go well enough. And if the blighter is retarded now, we may as well find out as soon as possible.
>> No. 49008
>>48999

Shouldn't you wait until we at least have 30 samples so we can actually work with what is a normal distribution?

[x] Give the P-pattern its stick back, or some other method of handling things itself.
[x] Homunculus preparations after tea.
>> No. 49014
Because I'm bored, I'm going to speculate about the phenotypes of the newborn Yukkuri, assuming they operate under the rules of genetics we're used to (and yes, I'm aware that they are animated blobs of food, but there's clearly SOME form of heredity going on).

Pattern: This probably derives from something similar to sex chromosomes, except determining things like ways of speaking, appearance, and outlook on the world that vary with different patterns. If it was a matter of codominance, we'd have gotten more hybrids. As it is, the hybrid is likely the result of the two 'pattern chromosomes' crossing over, or swapping pieces of genetic code.

Pattern Chromosomes: I'd say these act like two human X chromosomes, with one being acquired from each parent. However, where in humans, which particular X chromosome is expressed in a given cell is random, Yukkuri seem to have their pattern determined in one fell swoop, with little or no room for in-betweens. This could be because they are effectively a single cell, or because what they are is chosen early in development, and the expressed chromosome remains the same throughout whatever process serves as gestation for Yukkuri.

Docility: While docility seems to depend largely on type, since only the pure R-types immediately rejected their food, a secondary trait for it may exist, implied by the two P-types that are considering refusing their food. This is only a possibility - there hasn't been enough time with the newborns to find out the inheritance mechanics behind this trait, or even if it exists at all.

Bodies: I'd say this is a simple matter of dominant and recessive. Being bodied would need to be dominant, since both parents are bodied and would have produced an entirely bodied litter if it was recessive, or made some stunted bodies if it was codominant. If both parents have one dominant gene and one recessive gene, the expected percentage for the offsping is 75% bodied, 25% blob. As 7 out of 10 offsping are bodied, this seems correct. The bias towards bodies in the R-types is likely just chance.

Please note that this is an examination of the mechanics of heredity of YUKKURI, so things are quite possibly wrong.
>> No. 49020
>>48968

What the fu...?
>> No. 49021
File 132012337518.jpg- (719.00KB , 800x1023 , 9669ba5da040c325db18c45dc9744b2a.jpg ) [iqdb]
49021
You pluck the ringleader R-pattern out of the air without hesitation. You'll not be having any of this... you've studied natural behavior without significant outside influence enough with the previous horde, this time you will have them stay in line.

"Is this the naughty child that cries for dessert before the meal is finished?" You ask silkily, as it struggles in your grip, body fitting nicely within the palm of your gloved hand. "But you haven't eaten your meat. And how can you have any pudding if you've not eaten your meat?"

"M-miss, please! Don't be angry, let Patchurri punish naughty baby!" The P-pattern stammers.

"Oh, you need not have any cause for concern." You say dryly, as the infant in your hands slows its struggles, seeming to begin to grasp its error now that its parent is siding against it with, you suppose, what it had taken previously to be a rather large section of the scenery. "A naughty child must be punished, but a light touch would be best, for a first offense."

Tendrils whip out of nothingness to enclose your hand in an orb of wood, and the infant inside screams in sudden panic. It is unharmed, however, as the wood writhes, forming into a box and stand around it and your own arm, thick wood on all sides but the front, with a series of incisions in the top to allow air-flow. Tendrils creep into your hand as you slacken your grip, then pull the infant away to hold it against the far wall, eyes wide as its struggles prove fruitless. It's only the work of a moment more to seal the front with a sheet of clear stone.

"S... scary! Was scary! Daddy, sabe me!" It wails. After a moment, Patchurri turns aside.

"Naughty baby that doesn't listen to daddy... must be punished." the P-pattern says grimly, as the child wails in sudden dismay. "What will miss do..?"

"Ah. This little troublemaker will be left here, and given food, but not let out until it has properly repented." You say simply. "And while good little children will have treats when they are done eating their food, this little one will have none."

The P-pattern nods, as the trapped infant wails and its siblings begin to whisper among themselves.

"Miss is much nicer than Mister Stick." It says pointedly, frowning at the wailing infant, which chokes off its sobs.

"Oh?" You say, with some small interest. It is the merest expression of will to send the knobbly stick floating over to your hand, made entirely of wood as it is, and offer it to the P-pattern, who looks slightly worried at this point.

"Perhaps you should demonstrate." You say, voice once more silken, with an undertone of honeyed poison. "How exactly 'Mister Stick' responds to naughty children."

The P-pattern hesitates a long moment, stick in hand as the infants watch the exchange, wide-eyed, then nods. Then hesitates again.

"Miss... miss has something she doesn't mind breaking?" It asks quietly.

You consider this, and after a moment a delicate crystal sculpture takes form before the P-pattern. In a fit of whimsy, you made it resemble Yukari somewhat, as you have a small idea of what is next to come.

"... Look, babies. Look at this." The P-pattern says, after a moment of thought. "This is a naughty child. This is a very naughty child, that doesn't listen to daddy, and thinks it knows better. This is a naughty child that doesn't eat the food Miss gives, and upsets Miss, and gets Daddy thrown out of the nice place, so family can go back to live in hole in dirt. And this is Mister Stick."

It pauses, to be sure that all of the children have seen them both, before continuing.

"Mister Stick Hates Naughty Children." It says simply. The infants barely have time to take the sentence in before the P-pattern has turned and, with a single swing, smashed the sculpture apart. The head flies up into the air a little bit, to crash into the ground after, and splinter into pieces. There is a moment before outright horrified wailing begins.

"BABIES LISTEN!" The P-pattern yells, wiggling the stick, and they all choke off their sobs to pay rapt attention, eyes all... almost all firmly locked on the business end of the P-pattern's cudgel. "Patchurri loves babies very much. It would make Patchurri very sad if babies were naughty, and Mister Stick took them. So please be good babies, and listen to Daddy, okay?"

A hurricane of acknowledgement rose up from the infants as they rush to the meat, forgetting all about sugary sweets in their haste to assure Mister Stick that they were good babies. You allow a very small smile to grace your face, finding yourself begin to honestly like this one a little. Then you banish it and consider the two outliers.

First, and more apparent, was the isolated r-pattern infant. Rather than simple fear, having understood that it itself was a 'naughty child', it had soiled itself and passed out at the introduction of Mister Stick. The other was the mutant: who had taken in the whole scenario, but seemed particularly stricken and more focused on the Daddy than on the stick in its hands. Tentative conclusion reached was that it carried some degree of the more advanced cognitive ability of its parent, and fully comprehended that it was not the stick that had destroyed the statue of its own volition, but the one swinging it. And further, that its parent had just in effect promised to strike, and possibly kill, any of its children which got too far out of line to be tolerated.

"A rather interesting tactic in parentage." Sakuya says, only the slightest hint of reproof in her voice betraying her displeasure with the P-pattern's demonstration, R-pattern having long since dozed off in her arms.

"Patchurri risked much to get to books." The P-pattern counters, with surprising comprehension as it frowns right back at the maid. "Much danger, Remirya not smallest or biggest. Patchurri will do whatever it takes to stay. If babies cause too much trouble..."

It pauses here, face suddenly awash in indecision, self disgust battling with longing and desperate need, itself fighting with myriad other things before it continues.

"... If babies cause too much trouble." It says wearily. "Then Patchurri will make them not cause trouble. Even if Patchurri must use Mister Stick."

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that." Sakuya says, setting the mother R-pattern down as she moves to open the container of the bound infant, cleaning inside before carefully setting a meaty heart of some beast or another on a plate inside, and frowns at you... ah. A tiny extension of your will makes something like a toilet in one corner, for the infants use. With a nod, she seals it back up.

"If it comes down to it, and they're causing too much trouble, I'm sure Flandre wouldn't mind a new pet or two." You say without thinking.

The stick clatters through the P-pattern's nerveless fingers before it squats to pick it up, gathering it to itself hurriedly, and the little ones have, as one, gone completely still and silent as they scan their surroundings. You sigh and rub at your forehead.

"... There is a type patterned after her, isn't there." You say flatly.

"It does seem so." Sakuya replied, as the now significantly more quiet and cautious infants returned to their food, keeping a watchful eye open as they did so. "Presumably it preys on other predatory types, as well as the rest, given the reaction."

"Catches, and... and puts up on sticks, stuck through." The P-pattern stammers out. "Eats, but only little bites, to keep caught ones screaming... Never seen, never want to see, nonono..."

"Or that." Sakuya says. "It sounds very traditionally vampiric."

"Harkening back to the Impaler, I suppose." You say. "Fascinating how these rumors regarding familial relationships spread about and affect things."

"Please, M-miss." The P-pattern says quietly. "If one of the babies is bad enough... don't give to Flandre. Let Patchurri... Let Patchurri deal with it."

You sigh and pat the thing on its head.

"I was referring to the younger sister of the lady of this mansion, Flandre Scarlet." You stress. "As far as I know, she has never deliberately impaled anything or anyone, and any harm to come to gifts given her would, I believe, be entirely through honest accidents."

It's still shivering, but calms very slightly under your touch. After a moment, it stumbles over to pick up the empty journal and cradle it to itself, seeming to find that much more relaxing and soothing than your hand. Well, it's not as though you particularly mind that outcome.

"It's still a little early." You say, noting that the sun should by this time just barely be beginning to rise.

"The gatekeeper left not long ago." Sakuya replies, answering a question you hadn't thought just yet to ask. "She took a small pastry with her, to lure the creatures out of their den without having to dig them out, so she should return... an hour from now, most likely, no more than two at the most."

"Yes, that will do well." You say, trying and failing to hold back a yawn. "... In the mean time, perhaps some tea would be in order, before I get to work properly?"

"Of course. It will arrive shortly." Sakuya says.

You rise and stretch before moving some distance and creating a vat. Most of the ingredients to this process are simple enough that most well-stocked kitchens have the majority of them available, and so a quick word to Sakuya brings them out, but of course without proper application of magical energies the whole mass is entirely inert even with the key ingredient added. At this point, though, the main question on your mind is whether to spend today focused on crafting a single body to Porphyrion's specifications, or whether to start things off with a test batch or two, possibly to test the utility of the healing potions with.... then you recall that you sent out that letter yesterday, and Keine will be expecting your arrival today, though she may or may not particularly welcome it. At least one test-batch it is, then.

You feed a sufficient quantity of magic into the vat to keep it going until after lunch, then collect one of the vials and carefully let the substance within ooze out, dripping into the fluid below.

"... What's this stuff, then?" Marisa says, picking up a vial and inspecting it with a squint.

"A very important ingredient for this magical process." You say succinctly, without further defining it.

"Poison?" She asks after a moment, and at your denial pops the top off to peer inside, then takes a cautious sniff. "Looks like the sort of anti-wrinkle cream that slips in from outside sometimes, that the old ladies of the village pay so much for, or thickened and congealed mushroom soup. Smells wrong for both, though. Not sure what this is, actually. No hints?"

.... You are rather torn, whether to simply watch in amusement as she tries to work out the nature of the substance, or to simply come straight out and reveal it, to spare her the later embarrassment.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 49023
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[X] Go see Keine.

Not that the reaction won't be worth watching either way, but seeing that moment of dawning understanding come of its own accord is so much more satisfying.
>> No. 49024
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[X] Go see Keine.

Oh, Marisa. So lewd.

And it's nice to see the P-type continues its trend of being rather smart, for a yukkuri. And quite dedicated to the books, too. It's like a tiny, tiny, clever magician...
>> No. 49026
[X] Tell her outright, after asking her to put the stopper back in and placing it back with the others.
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[X] Go see Keine.

Seeing as Patchy told her it wasn't poison, I half expect her to try tasting it if left to puzzle it out on her own, and considering where some of that was... sourced from, it may have something nasty in it.

Hmm...

[x]If you possess the appropriate spells, do a quick diagnostic on the samples, to ensure there aren't any nasty surprises that could be spread to the homunculi, and either purify or remove them from the other samples.
>> No. 49027
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[X] Go see Keine.

Haha excellent update.
>> No. 49028
[x] Where do you think Koakuma went, yesterday?
>> No. 49029
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
-[X]Discourage her from tasting it.
-[X]If she wants a hint: Well, Marisa, when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much...
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
-[X]If you possess the appropriate spells, do a quick diagnostic on the samples.
[X] Go see Keine.

I remember that Yukari statue, it was someone's suggestion back when we were voting how to respond to Yukari's game. It wasn't mine, but I've still got to give Kahi props for referencing a random vote later in the story. Actually, that's a cool thing about this story, even losing options might be taken, as long as they're thought-out and would fit.
>> No. 49030
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
-[X]Discourage her from tasting it.
-[X]If she wants a hint: Well, Marisa, when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much...
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
-[X]If you possess the appropriate spells, do a quick diagnostic on the samples.
[X] Go see Keine.

So it seems we have at least two (relatively) intelligent yukkuri - Patchurri and the Patchy/Remi hybrid who knows that sticks don't kill yukkuri, daddy does.
>> No. 49031
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
-[X]Discourage her from tasting it.
-[X]If she wants a hint: Well, Marisa, when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much...
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
-[X]If you possess the appropriate spells, do a quick diagnostic on the samples.
[X] Leave Marisa in charge of the test batch of homunculi.
[X] Go see Keine.
>> No. 49032
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
-[X]Discourage her from tasting it.
-[X]If she wants a hint: Well, Marisa, when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much...
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
-[X]If you possess the appropriate spells, do a quick diagnostic on the samples.
[X] Leave Marisa in charge of the test batch of homunculi.
[X] Go see Keine.
Yeah, this.
>> No. 49033
[x] Sigh. Take the vial from Marisa so she doesn't drop it. Then give her a hint, since she asked so nicely for one, but don't explain further.
[x] Wake up the spider, and provide her with a few children's books.*
[x] Leave Marisa "in charge" while you run your errand -- have her watch over the vat and also Yamane's new duties. A small taste of responsibility might keep her focused enough to not get in trouble, and since she really should not have to actually do anything with either, it should be difficult to mess up.
[x] Visit Keine.

*I'd guess Patchy's stock of these is probably mostly from the 19th century -- as if we haven't traumatized the blobs enough already.

(That little scene was about as ugly as I'd suspected it might be. Even so, can't believe you got that much pathos out of animated dough. Good job, Kahi.)
>> No. 49035
>>49014 here, with some more input. Sorry if this is annoying.

Intelligence: If it was dominant or the result of a mutation the father had, it would have manifested in proportionally more children. If recessive, either all the children should have shown it, or none of them. My theory is that intelligence is a recessive trait that the P-type has two copies of, and the R-type has none. Thus, all offspring should have phenotype Ii and thus display normal intelligence, except for the hybrid. It likely didn't get the dominant, stupid form of the gene along with whatever else it didn't receive from its mother. What with the obvious advantage offered by intelligence, this is likely a recent mutation that went unexpressed in both of the P-type's parents.
Flandre: The apparent recognition of this name as a threat by the newborns suggests a form of racial memories, although they could just have been emulating the terror displayed by the P-type.
>> No. 49036
>>49035
It's not annoying.
>> No. 49037
>>49035

I'd say that the Yukkuris definitely have some sort of intergenerational memory, given that they can speak from the moment of birth, using words that they've never heard.
>> No. 49038
File 132013566752.jpg- (12.82KB , 202x88 , square.jpg ) [iqdb]
49038
>>49035

Interesting theory. Allow me a rebuttle: There's no way that intelligence can be a gene, even a recessive one. Reason being the simple fact that more yukkuri would express it. I'm pretty sure that everyone will agree that 25%(if it was a recessive gene that every yukkuri had)of yukkuri are not intelligent(statement also supported by observing the litter).

My theory is: yukkuri intelligence is a mutation that occurs on the "bodied" gene.

Let's say that intelligence occurs from a certain genetic malformation occurring across 10% of the "bodied" gene. Thus, any "bodied" gene that is replicated has a 10% chance of being defective(the defect in this case resulting in intelligence)

Seeing as "bodied" and "non-bodied" seem to share the same genetic mechanics as male and female, we can see from the pic that a certain percentage of bodied(represented in this pic by "X") will express the intelligence phenotype, and a certain percentage will be carriers(assuming both parents are carriers).

In conclusion, looking at the litter of yukkuri, we can conclude that if 50% of babies will be bodied(XX), and 20% of bodied will be intelligent(2 separate 10% chances, assuming both parents are carriers), we can reasonably expect one such occurrence in a litter of 10.

Also, my theory is supported by the fact that there is some physical appearance discrepancy that manifests along with intelligence(longer hair). This gives credence to the my assumption that the intelligence mutation is indeed carried on the bodied gene, and not some random gene that has nothing to do with appearance.
>> No. 49039
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[X] Go see Keine.
>"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
...I should've seen that one coming.
>> No. 49040
i love this thread it's the only place that all of studded genetics argument pops up and silly things like that can occur
>> No. 49041
>>49040
There are places that get into serious debates about how much energy it would take to launch a Mime through a wall as living ammunition. Star Wars porn has been known to create discussions regarding energy density calculations. People have had hundred page long debates on just what the Pokemon setting would actually be like if it were real. This? This is basically the equivalent of the sort of idle chatter and talk you'd hear near the water cooler at work, only instead of "Who's fucking who" it's more "This is how you can build you own doomsday weapon."

On that note, Welcome to the Internet!
>> No. 49042
>>49038
You have an interesting idea regarding intelligence. While I don't think it would reflect an actual mutation in the body gene, as that should be passed on by the parent, intelligence could quite possibly be the result of some factor during gestation which occurs with whatever chance. That would certainly explain why only one kid is intelligent.

In regards to your entirely valid point about 25% of all Yukkuri being intelligent if it was the result of an evenly distributed intelligence gene, I did take that into account:
>What with the obvious advantage offered by intelligence, this is likely a recent mutation that went unexpressed in both of the P-type's parents.

As for bodies, I would say they are a basic dominant/recessive relationship. Both parents would have to be heterozygous in order to be bodied and still have blob kids, resulting in an expected split of 75% bodied children and 25% blobs, close to the actual split of 7 bodied/3 blob.

Also, your point about the intelligent child having other mutations has merit, although I'm not sure if the father P-type has any appearance oddities, hence why I assumed it got its intelligence by not getting a copy of the dominant, stupid gene from its mother - SOMETHING certainly went oddly with it in any case.
>> No. 49043
[x] Let her work it out on her own.
- [x] Discourage her from tasting it.
- [x] No hints.
[x] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[x] Go see Keine.

This will do.
>> No. 49044
Ditto
[x] Let her work it out on her own.
- [x] Discourage her from tasting it.
- [x] No hints.
[x] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[x] Go see Keine
>> No. 49045
I remember a time when we were throwing massive conversations about symbolism and world-build in Final Fantasy, about geopolitics in Dai No Daibouken and the occasional arguments about physics in Pokémon. Sweet time.

[X] Let her work it out on her own.
-[X]Don't give any hint at all.
[X] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
-[X]If you possess the appropriate spells, do a quick diagnostic on the samples.
[X] Leave Marisa in charge of the test batch of homunculi.
[X] Go see Keine.
>> No. 49046
Give her a hint.

Let her know who gathered it for you.
>> No. 49048
this is probably a little late but i have to say, i'm really starting to like that Patchurri.
>> No. 49049
[Z] Let her work it out on her own.
[Z] Finish the test batch, making a note of any necessary refinements.
[Z] Go see Keine.
>> No. 49052
[x] Discourage her from tasting it

Patchouli can be mean, but that would just be too much.
>> No. 49059
[X] Let her work it out on her own.
-[X]Discourage her from tasting it.
>> No. 49060
You know, there's an interesting question that's been brought to my attention in link with Flandre's facts from the previous thread: Is Marisa strong enough in magic to negate the killing curse's effects? Not that we're going to test it of course, but I found myself curious about it.
>> No. 49061
Random thought: Our encounters with the Yukkuri could be a parallel to the students in the future

[x]Think about a possible identification system for the infants as most look quite alike
>> No. 49064
An Arcane Mark effect would be ideal for identification.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneMark.htm
>> No. 49065
[x]Remilia just gave birth to you, and you're the father. Realize how incredibly creepy this situation actually is.
[x]Consider introducing Yukkuri to Hogwarts
>> No. 49066
File 132018467870.png- (590.67KB , 849x1200 , sample_37140c9c0e50a4c6480f79e556a6d33f03983d67.png ) [iqdb]
49066
"... Don't play with it too much." You say, after a moment. "And if you taste it, you'll find honest regret in doing so, later."

"Thought you said it wasn't poison?" Marisa says, frowning.

"I did. It isn't." You say, setting the fluid inside the vat swirling for a few seconds.

"Huh. Tastes really bad, then?" Marisa concludes.

"... Some feel so." You say. "Others don't mind."

"Hm." She thinks and taps a drop of fluid out onto a fingertip, to bring it up for still closer inspection, then to rub it thoughtfully between finger and thumb.

"There's some trees that have sap kind of like this, and most of it tastes really bad. This might be closer to a syrup, though." She says thoughtfully. "I didn't know that any of them were useful for magical reagents, though."

"I wouldn't know." You say tactfully, as you watch how the liquid has begun to froth and bubble, clouding over and becoming opaque, then wave a hand to place a cover over the top to prevent contaminants from getting in, or anything inside from bubbling out. "It wasn't harvested from any tree."

"... You aren't making this easy on me, you know." Marisa says, frowning again. "I'm kind of stumped, here."

"At this point, you'll probably be happier if you don't figure it out." You say, giving her fair warning. She stubbornly ignores you as she looks around, eyes settling on the mutated infant, which has watched this whole procession with some interest from the top of a shelf.

"You. Get down here. I need you to tell me what this tastes like, since I can't test it that way myself." She says, and you sigh.

"I much doubt you'll determine anything worthwhile with this." You say.

"Hey, don't worry, I'll figure this out soon." She says, poking her finger in the hybrid's face. "Taste that, would'ja?"

The hybrid sniffs, and frowns, but obediently tests it. Almost immediately, it turns its head to the side and spits the substance back out.

"Tastes bad." It declares, frowning with clear disgust.

"Well yeah, I'd guessed at that much." Marisa says. "Anything more specific?"

"Tastes bad." It says again, frowning. "Dunno. Words, taste. Salt?" It tries.

"Fascinating as this is to watch, I can only see this growing more complicated." You say with a sigh. "It would probably be odder if it decided it was a good flavor. Don't give it any more, in any case. More was collected than I can reasonably use before it spoils, but I don't need them getting into it."

"It has a shelf life, then... cuts out a lot of saps and syrups." Marisa muses aloud. "Where did you gather it from?"

"I'm not playing this guessing game with you." You say shortly. "But I didn't. This is the sort of task I wouldn't personally wish to undertake. I had Koakuma gather the material instead."

As though summoned, you realize that she has been standing on the other side of the vat, watching the show with a wide, almost blissful smile on her face for some time now. Marisa frowns at her in suspicion. Then looks down at her hands. Then looks back up to Koakuma, still leering, though she pauses to deliberately lick her lips and smirk. You can almost see the gears turning in her head, and it's quite clear that she has finally reached the correct conclusion as her jaw drops and her face goes, for just a moment, cherry red. Then the vial shatters against the vat, as she hurls it without hesitation away from herself.

"ohgoditoucheditgetitoffgetitoff!" She says in a single breath, waving her arm frantically. "Why didn't you warn me?"

"I did." You say flatly. "If you'll recall, tell you that you would regret it later, if you tasted it."

"You didn't say what it was though! I don't want to be pregnant!" Marisa yells, almost reaching hysterical levels.

It takes you a moment to process this distraught statement.

".... Wash your hands." You say after a moment. "You cannot be impregnated by simple skin-contact. This was not explained to you?"

Marisa stumbles quickly out, ignoring your question. Well, it's not like you don't have better things to do than correct the witch on the specific details of reproduction. The sudden worry of disease hits you, but you brush it off almost immediately. The process of creating the Homunculi should burn out any such thing that wasn't directly tied to their genetics, and it isn't as though they'll be used for prurient purposes in any case. And even if Marisa had managed to catch something unfortunate from poking her fingers where they needn't have been just now, it was only a quick and awkward stop by Eirin's to collect a tonic to clear it up, if she didn't know of something herself.

Come to think of it, that was a little odd. She had mentioned before that she could be paid to provide fertility enhancers of some kind for the villagers, if you were not mistaken, and yet she hadn't been able to immediately identify the substance. In any case, it seems like her education in certain matters can be considered spotty.

"Don't get it." The hybrid says simply, having moved over to poke at the substance now sliding down the side of the vat. "What is the sticky?"

"Why, it's a magical, wonderful-" Koakuma begins, before you interrupt.

"It's seeds." You say, simplifying things a bit. "Used to grow babies."

"Baby stuff. Miss is making babies?" It says, as Koakuma sulks at her attempt to instill perversion in what you will assume to be a reasonably-innocent mind until proven otherwise. "In pot, and not inside?"

"No, I'm making something else." You say. "But I needed that in order to make them. Koakuma collected it for me."

You shift a portion of the vat into a transparent material as the hybrid ponders that, and as you peer through, the barely formed beginnings of an eyeball and trail of optic nerve float past. You put it back to normal, satisfied with how things are progressing, and the hybrid speaks up again.

"Miss 'kuma has babies inside?" It asks.

"No." You say. "Or at least I certainly hope not. That would be exactly the thing I need, on top of everything else."

"But baby-stuff only comes out when making babies." It points out, frowning. "How did miss 'kuma get it without getting babies inside?"

Koakuma smiles, perfectly prepared to answer that question in far too much depth.

"That's a question for another time." You say, instead, as Sakuya sets a calm hand on her shoulder.

Koakuma frowns, but you note that this conversation seems to confirm that there seems to be at least a tentative understanding for these things regarding their reproductive practices, right from birth. You had suspected this before, but never managed to confirm it. In any case, it seems that once born, an infant will be perfectly capable of carrying on even if the rest of its nest is stamped out in some manner of incident, so long as it can locate food, and it will not particularly require instruction once it manages to locate something it is capable of breeding with.

In any case, the hybrid seems unhappy to not receive an answer, but has grudgingly decided to wait. You move through shelves, as you think. You aren't really familiar with what children like, as it happens. You could probably find something suitable if you visited that half-youkai shopkeeper, but you probably have something here too... ah. Fairy tales. Yes, you dimly recall someone mentioning that their children much enjoyed having fairy tales read to them before slumber.

You can't imagine why, as most tales of fairy whims aren't particularly pleasant at all, but it will do. You tug the transcribed collection of stories from the shelf and turn back. By the time you reach the vats, Marisa has returned, much calmer, but still rubbing a bit at her hand with a cloth.

"You couldn't have told me what it was?" She grumbles.

"Perhaps next time you will ask rather than try to determine the nature of another's materials on your own, and not pour it all over your hand trying to figure it out." You say in return.

Marisa twitches, but lets go of matters with only a small noise of displeasure.

"What are you doing with that... stuff, anyway?" She grumbles.

"Crafting Homunculi." You respond, peering through the vat again. "The genetic material is ideal for a base for them to pattern themselves similarly to."

"You couldn't have just used blood or something?" the witch asks, nose crinkling.

"... Well, yes." You admit. "I could have. It would have required more than a dozen pints, however, for a single vat. More than an adult male human generally has in their entire body, even if every last drop is wrung from his flesh."

".... Ugh." Marisa says in disgust, but clearly conceding that this is more efficient.

"Is the spider awake by now, by any chance?" You ask.

At expressions of doubt, you move to glance in and see that, indeed, she is still sprawled haphazardly across your bed, now snoring. You shake your head, and with they hybrid floating curiously a bit behind you and to the side, pen a brief note to the effect that she may use this book to read to the infants, and also that damage to it will not be tolerated, before leaving it sitting where it won't be missed.

You return for another quick inspection of the vats, checking the advancement. Yes, at this rate you'll only have to infuse more magic once, around lunch-time, and they should complete assembling themselves only a little after sundown.

"I'll be stepping out for a moment." You say. "Marisa, mind things here. The vat should handle itself, unless I'm not back by lunch, though I doubt this will take nearly so long. You should only need to mind those newborns, and be sure they don't eat each other."

"Glad to know you have such high expectations of me." The witch replies, frowning at the task. "... Could be worse, I guess. Could be Alice-types. Nothing against her, but you never quite forget waking up in the morning with a draft from a broken window and one tangled in your hair, complaining that it can't figure out where to put 'it'."

"I'm sure." You say, turning, and stepping through a portal, closing it behind you before the too-curious hybrid can follow. It places you outside Kamishirasawa's home, small golem posing outside the door as a statue, but with letter removed. She'll be expecting you then.

You knock on the door.

"... C'm in." A groan sounds from inside.

Stepping through reveals the schoolteacher and village protector to be something of a bedraggled mess at the moment, hair tangled and eyes bloodshot, hat sitting to the side, mid-way through some manner of healthy bowl of mashed grain or nut product.

"... Wasn'specting you so..." She pauses to yawn. "... so early. Late night. Grading homework. What do you want?"

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 49068
>>49050
First off, thanks very much for your input. As my theories up to this point have only been the result of an AP bio class, it's pretty neat to read an opinion by someone who has relative expertise in the subject.

That said, you may wish to lose the email. People here are touchy about it, and will likely tell you in much ruder terms than I to get rid of it. Plus, somebody will probably sign you up for a number of spam services.

As the presence of an email suggests you are new here, allow me to explain the function of the email field. If "sage" is typed there, your post will not elevate the thread to the top of the board. This is considered polite to do when posting in old, dead threads and when making posts that have no direct relation to the thread.

If you are indeed new here, then I hope you enjoy yourself. Be sure to read the rules sticky at >>/gensokyo/6052, although you seem to be fine regarding them. Also, there's a story list at the very right of the forum list that I missed for a while.

If you aren't new, then please ignore the last two paragraphs and accept my apologies for assuming you were.
>> No. 49069
[x] Offer to come back later if she wishes. You are no stranger to being poorly disposed to handle visitors.
[x] If she wants to be left alone, go visit Ran instead.

Seeing as we're just going to be letting her know about the portals and possibly asking her for advice on teaching, when we visit her shouldn't really be an issue.
>> No. 49073
Oops, seem we came by a bit too early. Still, we're here and all. May as well get done with it. The news may wake her up completely too.

[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
[x] Seeing her state, you really need to do something about your own sleeping schedule soon due to the different timezone of your job.

Keine's state reminded me that we're going to have to get used to wake up and go to bed later very soon, if morning at school happens at the start of afternoon here.

>>49069
Perhaps you could wait for the bribe to be ready first before meeting Ran?
>> No. 49074
Ah, thank you for that. New here, figured email was a verification thing like most websites that only secretly sell your email. Since I couldn't figure out how to edit a post, if that's even possible, I deleted, and the content is below, obviously minus the now-pointless vote.

Anyways, 99% of high school biology is a polite lie, things are almost always more complicated than they teach you there. For example, "Protein sequence is exactly based on the DNA sequence encoding it", translates to "Oh, and on top of all the other exceptions to the rule, certain mRNA sequences convert the UGA stop codon to a selenocysteine codon".

Allow a biology undergrad to explain the inheritance of this intelligence trait.

I haven't the faintest idea. Inheritance is a messy, complex thing; simple Mendelian genetics work for very, very few traits. Even assuming no epistasis (one gene per phenotype), there are three explanations I can think of. The hybrid's intelligence could be a de novo dominant mutation. It could be a recessive trait; the exact probability of getting 1/10 is 0.187 (you need a HUGE sample size to get close to an exact 3:1 ratio). It could be a recessive allele, one of which was inherited from the father, one of which mutated de novo in the Remirya line.

Once you lose the assumption of no epistasis, the possible explanations explode; it could have been a dominant allele in the father that was closely linked to another gene that partly or completely masked its expression, and that a rare meiotic recombination event in the hybrid separated the masker from the intelligence gene. It could be a complex cluster**** of many genes.

And once we lose the assumption that real-world genetics have anything to do with a fictional, magical being...
>> No. 49075
[x]Tell her that the substance is NOT for consumption
>> No. 49076
Sorry. This is what I get when I don't refresh before posting
>> No. 49077
[x]Set the spider to catching the infestation
[x]Meanwhile visit the village guardian
[x]Once that is done, the spider may have caught some fresh bribes for us to visit Ran.
>> No. 49078
>>49074
No problem. Everyone is new at some point or other.

One more bit of advice, you can indicate posts like in the beginning of this one by clicking on the post number.

While a number of posters will give you advice in ruder terms than myself, please don't take it personally.
>> No. 49080
>>49077
Clearly, forgetting to refresh isn't your only problem. We're already at Keine's house and Meiling is already taking care of the nest.
>> No. 49081
>>49079
Obviously he was trying to post from yesterday.
>> No. 49082
This Koakuma is as cool as the dinosaurs in the Bamboo Forest.
>> No. 49083
[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.

My first thought upon seeing Keine was if it happens to be the day after the full moon or something.
>> No. 49084
[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
[x] Seeing her state, you really need to do something about your own sleeping schedule soon due to the different timezone of your job.
>> No. 49085
[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
[x] Seeing her state, you really need to do something about your own sleeping schedule soon due to the different timezone of your job.
>> No. 49086
Bwahahahahaha! Oh, Marisa...

Ahem.

[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
-[x] You might mention that you have recently had cause to notice that a dash of cold water can do wonders for helping someone to wake up...
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
-[x] For teaching, you might want to mention that it is in an environment where poor behavior seems to be subtly encouraged.
-[x] And naturally the infatuation discussion can be kept purely hypothetical. You don't encourage needless rumor-mongering.

Schedule: Well, given the time difference and that we don't particularly want to waste time arguing with other teachers about the schedule, how about we just grab the never-popular first slot in the morning, Hogwarts-time? Quite frankly, the students have to adjust to the schedule, not the other way around, and there's nothing like fear of imminent death for getting the blood flowing in the morning, right? Plus that's something like early afternoon for what we're used to, so we can sleep in. :)
>> No. 49087
>>49086
This is actually a good idea.
>> No. 49092
>>49086
The problem is that there's a strong reason against it that may be brought up: someone hurt in a pratical lesson may miss the rest of the day depending on the injury and the rest needed. That and we need to be available for questions after the day (because we can't ask students to be late for the next class for questions on what we'll teach. We also can't do that if we're sleeping.) and if a portal appear during the evening there.

And that's if no other teacher want mornings too. The chances of it happening are quite low I think (after all, they woke up, prepared and ate. They may already be in a good state to learn). So really, we better be ready than sorry.
>> No. 49093
[x]Think back to earlier today. Remilia just gave birth to you, and you're the father. Realize how incredibly creepy this situation actually is.
[x]Consider introducing Yukkuri to Hogwarts.

I want to see Patchouli freak out a bit and shudder in horror.
>> No. 49095
Speaking from my own experience in school, morning classes tend to have exhausted students half-asleep who then truly wake up around 10 AM.

Maybe my school was weird what with everyone cramming and staying up late, but this could be important for jockeying for a good slot.

Maybe Hogwarts could use a rotate-and-drop schedule because that spreads out the periods of so that teachers aren't constantly stuck in bad slots.
>> No. 49096
>>49093
I wish you would quit it already. She didn't do it when it happened, why would she do it now? Yukkuris aren't them. You see others freaking out at others pairs? No.

And I'll do everything I can to NOT have the second happen.
>> No. 49097
[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
[x] Seeing her state, you really need to do something about your own sleeping schedule soon due to the different timezone of your job.

Regarding time slots, I'd say aim for the second class in the morning. If our class is going to require physical activity, it would be bad to have it immediately after breakfast, and as others previously stated sleepy students are more likely to get hurt. Furthermore, in the case of a student sleeping in or missing breakfast for some other reason, we aren't the first ones who have to deal with them.

And the first class of the day always sucks. Few will be focused.
>> No. 49098
[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
[x] Seeing her state, you really need to do something about your own sleeping schedule soon due to the different timezone of your job.

I see Marisa has never had someone sit her down and explain the birds and the bees. And given her reactions, Koakuma may be able to drive her off if we let her. She has implied certain implications.
>> No. 49099
If anything we need to make sure the gate in the Library CANNOT be accessed by the Yukkuri.
>> No. 49103
>>49099
Even if we do nothing about it, they can't escape out as long as the basement's entry is sealed. Would they even be able to push it open if it was only closed too? Or we simply tell them to not go in or they'll be considered naughty.

Aside from that, we should also test the portal if two persons cross at the same time or one right after another, to see if it's going to break groups or if the drop point stay the same for a few moment before changing.
>> No. 49104
If you do go with trying to keep the Yukkuri out at all costs, try not to be too obvious about it. Yukari is watching, after all~
>> No. 49105
I dunno. Yukkuri would be fantastic Care of Magical Creatures subjects. Shithead yukkuri would be the best.
>> No. 49106
>>49103
While it's true they can't get out of the basement of the tower, wouldn't they still have access to all the mail that comes in thru the drop slot?

Plus all we really would need to do is enclose an area around the portal with stone or wood.
>> No. 49107
>>49105
Yukkuri are entirely unknown to the wizarding world. What's there to teach?
>> No. 49108
>>49093

Agreed. One attempt was enough. And as much as I like Patchurri, introducing yukkuris to Hogwarts is a stupid idea.

Curious about some things though. The baby R-patterns don't seem to be aware of their own regenerative properties, seeing how much "Mister Stick" freaked them out. And I also can't help but wonder how smart Patchurri really is. I can't be the only one who wants to see how far she can be trained and how much she can learn, can I? I rather like the idea of it eventually becoming smart enough to help in the library...


[x] Ask if she needs a bit more time. The matter is not exactly small and she may want to be more awake for this.
-[x] You might mention that you have recently had cause to notice that a dash of cold water can do wonders for helping someone to wake up...
[x] Do what you're here for: Yukari's game, advice on teaching and dealing with infatuations.
-[x] For teaching, you might want to mention that it is in an environment where poor behavior seems to be subtly encouraged.
[x] Seeing her state, you really need to do something about your own sleeping schedule soon due to the different timezone of your job.

And a wild, crazy thought just hit me. If Patchouli was capable of tweaking the sun and moon cycles in Gensokyo slowly over time to eventually match those in Hogwarts, would anyone notice? (yeah yeah, probably would start an incident and all, but the idea is fun to ponder)
>> No. 49110
>>49107
I was being facetious.

The results would be hilarious, though. Or depressing. Or both.
>> No. 49111
>>49107
Self-control, for one. A skill too many wizards lack.

Votes look fine.
[x] Would a homunculi work as a grading assistant?
>> No. 49112
File 132021243862.jpg- (167.08KB , 782x1068 , b6122cd90c709a22358edf4355a117f5.jpg ) [iqdb]
49112
"... Would you prefer I come back later?" You ask after a moment.

"Nah. Cffee'll be done in a sec." Keine mumbled sleepily in response, as she ate another mouthful of mash. There was a soft click from nearby and she rose.

"There's th'tick." She said, stumbling past you and through a door on the far side of the room. You peer through to see a kitchen, as Keine approaches an odd machine. It appears to have once been streamlined and ordered for a specific function, before being torn apart and mostly put back together. With some additions. There is a pulsing... thing, which does not lend itself easily to description, lodged half-in and half-out of one of its sides, and what seems to be parts similar to the motor of your monstrous vehicle jutting out off the top and back, giving off steam. The end result seems to be to force liquid out into a pitcher below. Broken shards of plastic hint that there was a top portion to it at some point, but that it was removed with excessive force, and a shaped portion shows that it's intended to pour into some smaller container.

Keine pays intentions no mind as she grasps the pitcher firmly by the handle, lifting it up to swallow.... chug, rather, directly at the entirety of the steaming liquid inside. It's rather awe-inspiring in multiple ways, as you begin to wonder if the schoolteacher actually needs to breath as she guzzles at the liquid. After a long minute, she slams it down on the counter, releasing a drawn-out 'aaaah' of satisfaction. Then she turned, mood clearly having drastically improved.

"Miss Knowledge!" She says, cheerfully, despite that her hair is still uncombed and she's still wearing pajamas. "It's a pleasure to see you stop by. How can I help you?"

"That drink looked next to boiling. Didn't that hurt?" You ask, before you can help yourself.

"Oh, very much!" Keine confirms. "But it tastes a lot like someone's unruly nephew shit in a mug and poured a layer of melted chocolate over it, so it's best to get it over with quickly."

You shake your head in response.

"How you would know what that... no, never mind that. What is that thing?" You say, with some mild concern. You could swear, for just an eyeblink, that an eye in the... mass coming out the side, had opened to stare at you.

"It's a coffeemaker." Keine answers simply. ".... Was a coffeemaker." She continues after you stare for a moment. "I picked up the original item from Rinnosuke, and had the kappa fix it up to work on its own after I got tired of having to barter with them or Yukari for fuel to run the little generator I plugged it into. They apparently had to pick up assistance from someone that owed them a favor to get it working properly and keep it in line, and the coffee flavor has gotten outright terrible since, but it does its job and everything works out nicely."

"Yes... well, in any case, Yukari is what I came to speak of." You say, settling in as Keine combs her hair out, and explain the gist of the current situation.

"Hm. Doesn't surprise me at all. Could be worse, though. It could be like her 'social experiment' from a few decades back." She says, finishing her mash with a great deal more poise.

"Social... I shudder to ask, but..."

"She got bored and read through a few sociological textbooks from Outside, and then kidnapped a city to experiment with the sciences." Keine explained.

"She kidnapped an entire city's worth of people?" You say, slightly aghast at the amount of sheer effort that would require, simply on a whim.

"No. You aren't listening, I said she kidnapped the city. The entire city, down to every last building and street all at once, including the sewer system." Keine says, matter-of-factly. "Supposedly they took a couple years to adjust, but they're still living in some side-existence or something that Yukari built, and only she can get to, only tenuously attached to Gensokyo at all through her place in Mayohiga. She says it's something like a really in depth city simulation game. Whatever those are. But it seems like once they stopped rioting in the streets everything settled down nicely, and she hasn't actually harmed any of them herself except by changing their location and then stepping back to see what happened next."

She shakes her head, now munching on a piece of fruit.

"In any case, your best bet is probably to play along with her for now. You might be able to make her quit it if you gather enough strong people to back you, but she'll get irritated about that and get back at you in some petty way."

"I had presumed as much on my own." You say. "I can be assured you will assist, then, if anyone is foolish enough to wander through?"

"Of course!" Keine says. "It's my duty to defend human life wherever I can, after all. It would be remiss of me to turn away when I know that I'll be needed."

"Good..." You say. "... There are some other matters as well. I am aware that you teach, and I was... hoping, I suppose, that you might have advice?"

"Ah... well, it's important to push them hard." She says. "You can arrange for slower students to have plenty of opportunity to catch up with the others, but if you constantly slow down to match their speed, then the smarter ones will stagnate and have time to get bored and get into mischief. And it's really better to deal with a stubborn child acting out out of frustration, rather than a smart one with too much time on his hands going out of his way to amuse himself."

"There does seem to be some logic in that." You note.

"It's also important that you be consistent with punishments, and don't show favoritism, or the 'teacher's pet' will act out to get others in trouble, knowing their sentence is lighter. If they forget to bring their homework, it's a headbutt. Whether you're the son of the village leader, or the daughter of a greengrocer, noble, merchant, or worker, it's a headbutt in punishment."

"... I don't think my skull could take that sort of chastisement." You point out. "The environment seems to subtly encourage misbehavior. The headmaster of the school apparently does not consider 'childish jests' and willful destruction of property and antagonism of staff as worthy of severe punishment."

"That could be a problem, but I'm sure you'll figure something out." Keine says. "Really, though, I can't imagine how he reached that position with such an attitude. It's alright for a grandfather to dote on children, but a teacher must be strict. A rude child has to be given a headbutt, to settle the others down before they follow their lead."

"It seems that he has some degree of notability in political pursuits, among other things." You mention.

"Really? Politics. What a shame." She sighs. "That would explain it, though, and I don't doubt that there are many others in positions they are unsuited for. It's a pity that it almost can't help but be a detriment to the students' education, of course."

"Ah.... well, there was one other matter." You say. "There are.. noted situations, I am given to understand, where a student becomes infatuated with an instructor."

"I don't think that actually happens outside of romance novels." Keine says dubiously, frowning for a moment. "Or if it does, I don't think I've ever been the focus."

"The students may find you too intimidating for that." You suggest, and it seems she doesn't take it amiss. "As a disciplinarian. Not all your methods will be... feasible for me, however, and so."

"Well. In theory, hm." She thinks for a moment before continuing. "Above all, keep the relationship with your students professional. Try not to associate with them at all, outside of class hours, if it's that worrisome. If you must, for class-related purposes, then keep your meetings directly related to the subject at hand, and don't drift off topic. There's no need for you to chat with a student about how they're feeling, or offer them treats or tea to put them at ease. Maybe if you were trying to build up some affection, but it sounds like that's the opposite of your goal. In any case, the best way to deal with that sort of thing would be to keep conditions such that it can't happen in the first place."

It seems like sound enough advice, you suppose. It doesn't really help you with the matter of Marisa's supposed crush, however. Not that you've seen much evidence of it existing, despite your initial worry.

"I should probably start preparing for class. And get dressed, I can't really teach in this." Keine says. "Will that be all? Or did you have something more you wanted to mention? It will have to be quick, if so."

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 49113
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x]Thank her for her time and go see Ran, making bribes on the way.
-[x]Animated clay mouse statue.
-[x]A rod with a low-power version of the giant's laser eyes that makes a harmless dot of light appear where it is pointed.
[x]If you'll be gone until after lunchtime, wait until you've infused the vat with magic before going.

I'd really rather not give any Yukkuri as gifts, seeing as there's probably a decent chance of them saying the wrong thing and pissing off the recipient. Even if they're given as food.
>> No. 49114
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x] Visit Moriya.
>> No. 49115
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x]Thank her for her time and go see Ran, making bribes on the way.
-[x]Animated clay mouse statue.
-[x]A rod with a low-power version of the giant's laser eyes that makes a harmless dot of light appear where it is pointed.
[x]If you'll be gone until after lunchtime, wait until you've infused the vat with magic before going.

I'm not sure the laser pointer is the best idea, though. Ran might have a hard time not chasing it herself.
>> No. 49116
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x]Thank her for her time and go see Ran, making bribes on the way.
-[x]Animated clay mouse statue.
-[x]A rod with a low-power version of the giant's laser eyes that makes a harmless dot of light appear where it is pointed.
[x]If you'll be gone until after lunchtime, wait until you've infused the vat with magic before going.

This seems reasonable.
>> No. 49117
Heheh. I like this Keine. Makes me really want to see Mokou.

Considering Patchy's previous inclinations, maybe replace "headbutt" with "set them on fire". The nurse can deal with the few odd burns, surely. Or perhaps "fling a boulder at them" -- that might be more in the same spirit and could improve their dodging skills as well... Though thinking of... well, most of the cast of HP, a little bit of immolation would probably do wonders for them.

And Yukari's personal Sim City game... Heh. Well, she is the youkai of "spiriting away" -- just apparently on a slightly larger scale than most.

But, to business...

[x] Thank her for her advice and take you leave.
[x] You've noted a lack of suitable primer texts in the Voile Archive for your literacy experiment. This must be rectified. You have gotten books from the hanyou in the past (or at least Sakuya has gotten them for you). Perhaps a stop by his shop is in order to see if he has anything suitable, since you are already in the vicinity.
-[x] Or see if he happens to have something you could base a lesson around. Or possibly use to keep miscreants under control. Or both. Curse-breaking could be a valuable skill to teach, after all.
-[x] Or a suitable Chen-toy.
[x] After that, Ran next. If nothing else, you could craft a toy and/or gift the food items Sakuya should have prepared by now.
-[x] And see if you can get a copy of the results from Yukari's social experiment, while you're at it. Ran seems like the type to keep journals.
>> No. 49120
>>49117

[sarcasm]Wow good idea! Let's get Kahi to rename this story "Pyromaniac Quest" while we're at it. [/sarcasm]
>> No. 49121
>>49117

Well, I imagine that Keine would have a suitable text. Probably with enough copies to lend one out.

In exchange - following our previous examples of over-the-top reciprocation - we could make that grade marking homunculus. At the very least, it would be a useful experiment in enhanced golem intelligence.
>> No. 49122
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgR0m-9FmM

Talking out of turn..
That's a headbutt

Looking out the window..
That's a headbutt

Staring at my pajamas..
That's a headbutt

Headbutting a soccer ball..
Ohh you better believe that's a headbutt
>> No. 49124
[x] Thank her for her time.
[x] Pick up the bribes Sakuya should have made by now.
[x] Visit Ran.
>> No. 49127
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x] Thank her for her time.
[x] Return to Voile. Make a golem to go pick up the mail at the tower.
[x] While waiting for Meiling, start preparing the lessons you'll teach.

Guys, not that much time passed. We need to wait for Meiling to get back first.

And going to see Ran and making things on the way... you realize no one know exactly where Yukari lives and a portal is the only way to go?
>> No. 49128
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x] Thank her for her time.
[x] Return to Voile. Make a golem to go pick up the mail at the tower.
[x] While waiting for Meiling, start preparing the lessons you'll teach.

We've already made arrangements for suitable bribes, there's absolutely no need to improvise at this point.
>> No. 49129
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x] Thank her for her time.
[x] Return to Voile. Make a golem to go pick up the mail at the tower.
[x] While waiting for Meiling, start preparing the lessons you'll teach.

Seven different lesson tracks. All that grading. Kill me now.
>> No. 49130
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x] Thank her for her time.
[x] Return to Voile. Make a golem to go pick up the mail at the tower.
[x] While waiting for Meiling, start preparing the lessons you'll teach.
We should ask the sentient golems if they wish to go to Hogwarts with us. We could use more help locating those damn portals.
>> No. 49131
>>49130
People that actually know the grounds would be better I think.

Apart from that, I have reminded myself that the basement door is sealed, thus we can't send the golem right now unless we want the door or possibly the floor smashed. We may want to add the defenses soon so we can unseal it without worry (as long as we instruct the golem to always close the door too, to prevent yukkuri sfrom passing it).
>> No. 49132
>>49129
We could just use the same plan for all grades and just vary the pace depending on how quickly the students of a grade pick it up. It doesn't seem like they learnt much before us, so we'll have to start from the basics anyway.

As long as they learn anything at all, they'll probably pass so it doesn't matter much if we actually reach the end of what we prepared within the year.
>> No. 49133
>>49131

We added Solar Eyes, we could add Earth Glide as well.

Eventually one ability per element, whenever we could get some slight use out of it.


[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?

[x] Return to Voile. Make a golem to go pick up the mail at the tower.
[x] While waiting for Meiling, start preparing the lessons you'll teach.
[x]We should ask the sentient golems if they wish to go to Hogwarts with us. We could use more help locating those damn portals.
>> No. 49134
>>49132
For all Hogwarts failings, 7th year students do know more than 1st year students, and should be treated as such.
>> No. 49135
>>49134
In general? Of course. In DADA? Probably, but we don't know what it is they now, as former instructors were all over the place and there are no set standards. We could either try to gauge their proficiency in various parts of the DADA curriculum before beginning of the year and then customize the lesson plan for each grade, or we could just speed through a general lesson plan until we hit a bump and then go more in-depth. If we go for the former, it might be a good idea to have our first lesson with 7th years, as they might be able to give us an overview about what each instructor over the years taught them.
>> No. 49136
File 132026483829.jpg- (777.17KB , 1280x1024 , 1300843335016.jpg ) [iqdb]
49136
>Yukari kidnaps an entire city for fun
>"In-depth city simulation game"
>"...once they stopped rioting in the streets everything settled down nicely."

Yukari is truly a genius. She got people to stop rioting.

-----------------
[x] As a teacher, I'm sure you also deal with parents and village officials. Do you have any advice for interacting with them?
[x] Thank her for her time.
[x] Return to Voile. Make a golem to go pick up the mail at the tower.
[x] While waiting for Meiling, start preparing the lessons you'll teach.
>> No. 49137
File 132026652963.png- (1.00MB , 850x1026 , sample_01cc34045f3d7a86fa71c5194d15bcb05e2f921e.png ) [iqdb]
49137
"... Well, I'm sure you deal with flustered parents and officials from time to time. Do you have any advice there?"

"Remember that you are the one in a position of power, and they're welcome to withdraw their students from your class and try to teach them themselves..." Keine says, then trails off into a frown. "... Hm. Actually, no, that might not work Outside, where it's feasible that there are a number of qualified instructors that can tutor individual children. Well, in any case, you can't simply bend to the whims of angry parents. If they barge in to complain about their child's failing an exam, you have to give them a calming headbutt, sit them down, and explain patiently that it's not your fault their child is less competent than the others."

"And officials?" You press on, not bothering to note aloud the clear default solution she seems to apply to any potential problems.

"I don't see why they would get involved much, but I suppose it might work differently Outside." Keine says. "For the most part, I just submit a list of what I need to keep teaching, people notify each other, and I get what I need fairly quickly. If Politics are strongly involved in that school, however, I'm afraid it could get rather more complicated very quickly. I suggest you immediately make it clear that you are siding with no-one, and are a neutral party, so long as you don't mind carrying out the occasional mediation between different groups. Nobody will like you much, but on the other hand you won't necessarily be making political enemies, either. Just be sure to stay polite about things, to maintain mutual respect as long as possible."

You nod after a moment of thought.

"There was one other very minor matter. Not related to the current state of things, but an unexpected side-project which has cropped up. I've discovered that I do not have any properly suitable primers in stock, to teach an effectively complete illiterate to understand letters."

"I'm afraid I can't really help there, either." Keine says, moving to a side room and rustling about, clearly changing clothes. "Mostly, that's just important enough that the parents drill it into their child's head before they even arrive in my class. Aside from an initial day or two checking their level of comprehension and whatnot, I don't usually need to instruct them in letters much at all, and my class is focused on histories in any case. On those occasions I do need something like that, Rinnosuke has some number of single-use primers in stock, which I purchase as-needed. You might try there?"

"Perhaps." You say idly, as Keine re-enters the room, clad in her normal outfit, taking only a moment to set her cap on properly. "But that was all. Thank you for your assistance."

"Ah, good. Feel free to come back if you have anything else to ask, or something to bring up." She says, as you depart.

You arrive only a few steps away from the stable portal, bringing the Gryphon with you, and it's only the work of a few breaths to give it a new set of instructions and usher it through. It has already served as a messenger, no reason to discontinue that theme regarding its use.

"... That was quick." Marisa says. "You needed to put me in charge of stuff to keep me occupied for, what, less than half an hour?"

"Things progressed unusually smoothly." You say dismissively. "I had expected miss Kamishirasawa to be somewhat less forthcoming and agreeable, given her position as a defender of humanity, and the fact that I do not fit within that category."

"Well, it's not like you were asking her to do anything weird, just more of stuff she would have done on her own already." Marisa points out. "She'd have kicked up a fuss if you'd told her about this and asked her to keep her nose out of it, I'll bet."

"Possibly so." You say, seating yourself for a period of thought. "In any case, continue as you were, I should be stepping out again shortly."

"Yeah, yeah." She says, as you slip into contemplation of things.

It can be presumed that the incoming first years know nothing, or nearly nothing. They will be blank slates, effectively, and will likely not take well to being thrown directly into opposition with hostile creatures, or beings, should you go that route with instruction.

That aside, all the years above that will be somewhat more difficult to exactly quantify. You'll need to get a copy of the series of 'standardized spellbooks' in order to properly estimate what levels the different years of education can and cannot reasonably be expected to function at. It seems you failed to collect copies during your previous excursion, as they are not technically at all defense related, having only a minor portion of their contents devoted to magics relating to the subject. However, your other texts thoroughly neglect to so much as hint at what point a given spell is generally taught, only mentioning them in passing as 'X is a good way to Y' scenarios. There is no way of telling from these alone whether, for example, a Simple Stunner is taught immediately to all students, or if they choose to delay its instruction for a bit so as to not have all the students in the school capable of knocking any other out with a word at any given time. Similar questions arise with spells which blast things apart, or cut them, or set them on fire.

In any case, it can likely be reasoned that the second year is more advanced in their knowledge level than the first, and so on. In a very broad sense, at least, as it is far from impossible for individual students to veer from the average, possibly by as much as one or two year-levels ahead, or one behind. Yes, you'll need to pick up those books soon, for estimation purposes, though it is not necessary for you to drop all the matters you are currently balancing and purchase them immediately.

Two teaching styles immediately come to mind, with that out of the way. First, to determine what is expected of students by the end of the year, which will likely be simpler to estimate with the standardized spellbooks, and teach directly towards that. Second, to simply highlight what the students should be capable of early in the year, and then throw them into progressively more and more difficult situations, directly forcing them to either learn what is required or to suffer for its lack. Possibly separated by year groups, possibly using the students as a whole, whether you set them up against an outside force or divide them into groups set against one another.

The thought of a battle between students and a small cloud of fairies is actually rather amusing to consider, though care will have to be taken with some things. A bestial youkai, such as a giant tortoise or bear, would have no compunctions about eating any student it could get to its mouth, as would simple beasts, particularly if you gather some of the bamboo-forest dinosaurs to play a role in the instruction. Of course, Homunculi can also serve as visual demonstrations, as you do not doubt a sufficient number of even unarmed or barely armed humans can bring such things down, provided the loss of life in the endeavor is deemed acceptable. Or simply as direct demonstrations of how the spells they use will affect the human body. And if you make as many as you can before the key ingredient spoils, you're likely soon to be unable to walk without banging feet against one's shins. Golems, also, could...

You are interrupted from your considerations by Sakuya, complaints sounding from a crate beside her. It seems that the little hybrid has at some point settled down quietly on your shoulder as well, without your notice. Odd, but it seems more attached to you than to its parents.

"The gatekeeper has returned. It seems that coaxing the nest out and into a box proved a simple matter. There are thirteen in total: Two parents, a Reimu- and Marisa-type, and it seems there are two sets of litters, as suspected, though it seems the first is from a previous mate: the elder and larger spawn are three Reimu and an Alice, it seems they are near full maturity. The younger spawn are more expected: four Marisa and three Reimu. None seem particularly intelligent, or are of a bodied sub-type." She says, outlining the contents without opening them.

"Not unexpected. Of hundreds of the prior set, I can count on one hand the number which were born with bodies, and none seemed to have any more cognitive function than their peers." You say, then pause as a brief thought strikes you. "... Hm, odd that so many of the litter here were bodied." You continue, musing aloud. "Perhaps it is because both parents had bodies of their own, or is it simply that young born of a bodied type are more likely to be bodied?"

"I'm sure you are already considering experimentation in that regard." Sakuya says dryly. "Though considering you seem to have discarded your previous hands-off approach to this sort of study, any you decide not to be rid of in one way or another will likely be less of a handful than the previous batch."

You wave a hand, already contemplating how to divide the Yukkuri, and by what method, which you will use as gifts, which will be food for the ones patterned after Remilia, and which, if any, you will retain possession of as subjects for side-studies.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 49141
> You'll need to get a copy of the series of 'standardized spellbooks' in order to properly estimate what levels the different years of education can and cannot reasonably be expected to function at.
We should use the occasion to do this "buy one of each we don't have" business, from which we refrained the first time. No second shop for which we have to reserve monetary resources this time around.
>> No. 49142
Modifying my vote...

[x] Ask the hybrid to change position for now: the sight of her may send the ones inside the box in a panic.
[x] Try some food. Ask each of them what should they say for it before giving it: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters and which ones could be used for the gift.
[x] Do you even have time to research, with everything set before you? Any not used for the gift will be fed to the R-types. Think of a way to separate the group: you need to avoid inflicting trauma to the ones to be gifted.

>If they barge in to complain about their child's failing an exam, you have to give them a calming headbutt
Oh Keine... You have the solution to everything don't you?

As for teaching methods, this is something that should be easier to decide after talking with Remus I think.
>> No. 49143
>hybrid perching on shoulder
Moe~

[x] Let the hybrid decide the yukkuri division.

This should be even more moe.
>> No. 49144
>>49137

Teaching:

[]Evaluate the expected capacity of students, but only as a starting point. If you are going to teach, then they will learn everything they are capable of. Possibly split the class into those who have the discipline to push themselves to learn real magic and those who do not - advanced after hours classes for all years would avoid severe timetable disruption.
[]Buy all the textbooks. Ask Alistair his opinion on student capabilities.
[]Seek any information processing spells there might have in the Voile and Hogwarts Library, to aid with finding, organising and extracting any knowledge you might need. Summoning a spirit/godling/demon/thing of wisdom might help.

Yukkuri:

[]The Alice-type have a high fertility, and could be useful for generating a high sample population. Their personalities are unsuited as pets.
[]In fact, it might be best to custom grow newborns - to weed out undesirable traits and prevent them imprinting more.
[]There is always the Factory to consider - they might not be averse to an information trade. Even without much to offer at present, your reputation would undoubtedly open the door.

s
>> No. 49146
[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
[x] Try some food. Ask each of them what they should say for it before giving it: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters, to be used as fodder, and which ones could be used for the gift. Also find out their opinions on the hybrid. Any that treat it as unnatural are probably not worth keeping.
-[x] Get rid of the A-type. Keeping it is almost certainly asking for trouble.
[x] Keep any that prove interesting enough for further study, then think of a way to separate the groups without freaking them out.

I guess I'm fine with Yukkuri gifts as long as they're reasonably well-behaved. Also, may as well take precautions against freaking the intelligent hybrid out.
>> No. 49149
>>49144
1. Okay, don't you think that's a bit too much? Remember that Patchouli will need to be impressed by them first before holding special classes. By the wave of mediocrity she received, there is no chance of her deciding to spend so much effort on them right now. Also, asking a teacher would provide you with a better answer than what Alistair would give, don't you think?

In fact, the whole first part seems to try to turn this into the direction many fics of this type tried, resulting in crap. Think more like what Patchouli would do when making votes, alright?

2. This is not the time to start a breeding program and Patchouli does not know where the Factory is
>> No. 49151
[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
[x] Try some food. Ask each of them what they should say for it before giving it: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters, to be used as fodder, and which ones could be used for the gift. Also find out their opinions on the hybrid. Any that treat it as unnatural are probably not worth keeping.
[x] Decide which ones to use for studies depending on what you want to research, then think of a way to separate the groups without freaking them out.

Oh snap just noticed the vote I copy and pasted wanted to kill the Alice.

whywouldyoudothat.jpg
>> No. 49153
Hmm, guys? Why do you want their opinion on the hybrid? Chances are that they'll just scream it's a Remirya and go into a mad panic, completely forgetting your question. Sakuya did note that none of them were really intelligent.
>> No. 49154
What's the hybrid's name? It's not a Remirya or a Patchurri. Remurri? Patchya?
>> No. 49155
Obviously it's name must me Rei-chouli, or Rachel
>> No. 49156
I like Rachel, actually
>> No. 49157
>>49149

>Think more like what Patchouli would do when making votes, alright?

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that we had to defer to your judgement with regards to her personality.

Planning is not action. Not knowing the location of the Factory does not mean we cannot find it out. Studying yukkuri would benefit from a larger captive population, perhaps not now, but in future.

Extra classes solve the problem of approach - it lets her teach the required syllabus and also provide a more challenging education to those who are not so willing to wallow in mediocrity.
>> No. 49159
>>49157
You're the one saying it, not me.

Patchouli was unimpressed with the grades she saw. She also know that discipline at the school isn't as good as it should be. Do you think she feels inclined to plan special lessons for them? You're thinking too far ahead for a unlikely possibility is what I'm saying.

As for yukkuris, who is going to keep the population in check? We won't have time for large-scale experiment once term starts. Patchouli also wrote in her note that she had to cull the population frequently just to keep control for proper study. So why should we endure the troubles of keeping a large population for something we won't be here to do?

I'm not forcing my view, I'm indicating why it is unlikely to happen in accordance with what Patchouli learned at this point. But if I'm wrong, do please show where and how.
>> No. 49160
>>49155
I quite like Rachel as well.
>> No. 49161
File 132028143248.png- (64.66KB , 960x640 , Rachel_Phoenix.png ) [iqdb]
49161
>>49160
Who could forget Rachel?
>> No. 49162
>>49157
I'm going to have to agree with >>49159 on this.

It's too early to even know if special lessons are worth planning, and the Yukkuris are just a curiosity we're holding onto because they like books, no need to increase their numbers.
>> No. 49163
>>49162
I'm thinking we're seeing the initial start of some of the Yukkuri on their way to Youkai-hood. Basically, Sapient/Sentient Humanoid-ish D&D Ooze-ish Monsters.
>> No. 49165
Regarding the Yukuri, the Patchurri's will take care of themselves, what with books being better than sex. We can also trust Patchurri to police it's own.

The Yukkuri that Meiling captured are nothing more than food and gifts. We already have an experiment sample.
>> No. 49166
>>49151
>whywouldyoudothat.jpg
becauseitsgeneticallyprogrammedtorape.gif
>> No. 49167
[x] If there aren't more pressing matters, visit Tewi.
>> No. 49168
[x] If there aren't more pressing matters, visit Tewi.
>> No. 49169
>>49168
Double post, and system won't take my password, Ignore it.
>> No. 49170
[x] If there aren't more pressing matters, visit Tewi.

I am all for more Tewi.
>> No. 49172
>>49170
Except you should kind of need a reason to go see her when she said herself she would return a few days later. Especially when we have things to do and not so many remaining days to do it.
>> No. 49173
[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
[x] Show them some food. Ask each of them what they should say for it before giving it to them: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters, to be used as fodder, and which ones could be used for the gift.
[x] Get rid of the A-type.
[x] The others will be food. We don't have time to handle experiments with large populations.
>> No. 49174
[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
[x] Show them some food. Ask each of them what they should say for it before giving it to them: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters, to be used as fodder, and which ones could be used for the gift.
[x] Get rid of the A-type.
[x] Think of a way to separate the groups without freaking them out.
[x] The others will be food. We don't have time to handle experiments with large populations.
>> No. 49175
We have a Whole week until term, and (Hogwarts-wise) what do we really have left to do?
>> No. 49177
Get more detailed information on what the current crop of students has been studying in the past few years, and to meet the other teachers and hash out a rudimentary schedule with them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, at least.
>> No. 49179
>>49175
What must be done before then:
-Set defenses at the tower (time unknown)
-Meet Remus (meeting time not yet known, time unknown)
-Buy standard defense books (shouldn't take long. Just need to take portal, change in some gems and buy the books. Can be done this afternoon)
-'Discuss' the schedule with others teachers (will happen during last two days, time it will take unknown)
-Make specified humonculi (will take most of a day. Mut be done soon before 'material' expiration)
-Find some manner of defending the library while out.
-Decide on loose schedule (then again, I think we're all agreeing on separating classes by years last it was talked about).
-Plan lessons (should meet Remus before this however)
-If a lecture hall is to be made, better be ready for Earth day. Ideally, since we won't need it after this year, we should ask Albus where it could be made and if he has any specifications for it (beside our need that it should be able to house a whole year's worth of students). If needed, can always mention this could help balance the 'salary' further, if it didn't pass smoothly.

I think that's all, unless I forgot something.
>> No. 49180
>they seem to pattern themselves, as years shift, after well-known and powerful figures, in an attempt at camouflaging themselves

This sounds like it's a choice, like wearing a certain sort of clothes.
There may be more to the hybrid's appearance than just 'genetics'
>> No. 49181
>>41979
And continuing that thought, more things we have started to do, have planned to do, or at least have considered doing...
- Warn Ran about Yukari's game (pending), as well as other power blocs in Gensokyo.
- Interview Pomphrey.
- Test Marisa's potions.
- Furnish our tower.
- Make sure Marisa is not lusting after our sexy body. Ick.
- Meet the other faculty members.
- Find and interview Mima.
- Make an army of disposable homunculi for great justice. Or something.
- Interview Rinnosuke about how he made the Hakkero.
- DINOSAURS. Just Because.
- Possibly arrange for another teaching assistant or Library defender, depending on what we want Koakuma's primary job to be.
- Get books for the Great Yukkuri Literacy Experiment.
- Other, less wholesome, experiments involving the doughballs.
... and I'm sure I've forgotten more (and, no, this is not a request to expand the list further)

But, to the point:

[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
-[x] The spider has slept in enough. Get her to work on her new project.
[x] If you think you can reasonably find and talk to Ran before lunch, concentrate on quickly dealing with the Chen-bribe preparations. Otherwise you can indulge yourself and more thoroughly sort through your new experimental subjects.
- [x] In any event, keep the new ones isolated from the moderately well-behaved group you already have.
- [x] If there are signs that any of the new Yukkuri are negatively influencing the current study group, deal with them swiftly, in whatever manner will bring the rest in line as quickly as possible.
[x] Go contact Ran.

So far the only two yukkuri that seem "interesting" are the original P-type and the hybrid. The rest of the original litter are just "not annoying" yet. I suspect the new batch will be classified as "annoying" nearly instantly.
>> No. 49183
>>49181
...You realize what post you are replying to? It's kinda funny that you actually got a hit after exchanging the position of two numbers.
>> No. 49184
[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
[x] Show them some food. Ask each of them what they should say for it before giving it to them: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters, to be used as fodder, and which ones could be used for the gift.
[x] Get rid of the A-type.
[x] All others except two will be food. We don't have time to handle experiments with large populations.

Keep at least a breeding pair so the R-types don't have to eat their siblings or parents. As for meeting Ran before lunch, I guess we could try it if we're sure we'll get back in time to inject more magic into the homunculi vat.
>> No. 49185
y that you actually got a hit after exchanging the position of two numbers.
Anonymous 11/11/03(Thu)04:21 No. 49184
[x] Prepare some sort of distraction for the hybrid, preferably one that will help gauge its intelligence and is out of earshot of the box.
[x] Show them some food. Ask each of them what they should say for it before giving it to them: the responses should indicate which ones are impolite monsters, to be used as fodder, and which ones could be used for the gift.
[x] Separate the A-type from the rest for now they could be useful latter but for now better safe then sorry.
[x] All others except two will be food. We don't have time to handle experiments with large populations.
>> No. 49186
File 132029530370.jpg- (155.13KB , 546x728 , 9c1c506bf3a1c1b8ef2a23682019eaef.jpg ) [iqdb]
49186
"What is your name, little one?" You ask, more out of the urge to delay opening the box as long as possible than honest curiosity, though there is some measure of the latter as well.

"Remirya is..." The hybrid begins, only to pause and look suddenly uncertain. "... Patchouli? But Patchouli is... Remirya, and..."

It trails off, suddenly trembling, eyes dilating with its introspection.

"Baby is a weird Yukkuri." Patchurri says simply, having toddled over to get a closer look at the box.

"Wh- why would daddy say that?" the hybrid almost shrieks, shocked out of its introspection.

"Patchurri says truth. Daddy is sorry." It says, shaking its head. "... Baby looks like both Mommy and Daddy. Doesn't happen much. Is very sad when does."

"B-but why is it sad? ... Baby is a good Yukkuri!" It exclaims, deliberately avoiding naming itself."

"Patchurri doesn't know how it happens." The parent says stoically. "But Baby is like two Yukkuri. Patchurri's big sister... was same. Baby must try not to think. Was scary to watch. Big sister greet little sister. Said 'Reimu is Patchouli'. Did not notice. Greet another sister. Said 'Patchouli is Reimu'. Realized something wrong. Started thinking about it."

It shook its head.

"Big sister.... broke, in head." Patchurri continued. "Started trembling. Eyes roll in place, throw up filling, poo in nest. Collapse. Still alive, but eyes show: nothing inside anymore. Mommy and Daddy took sister outside. Don't know if just left for mister birds, or crushed first. Was no scream, either way. Big sister was gone by next day. Was very sad. Baby... if baby thinks about it, will likely be the same, if not stopped from thinking."

It paused for a moment as its child's eyes watered up, then pressed on.

"Was sad. Is also why Patchurri is still alive, Patchurri thinks. Daddy is also a weird Yukkuri."

"D-don't say that!" The hybrid insists. "Daddy is daddy."

"Daddy is weird." The parent continues to flatly insist. "Patchurri is not supposed to look like human. Patchurri came out different from sisters, from Daddy and Mommy. Was very uneasy for them to look at. Wrong. But not too wrong. Not enough that it couldn't be taken. Maybe Patchurri would have been left outside the nest anyway, if Big Sister had not been an even weirder Yukkuri. But Mommy and Daddy did not want to lose two babies right away. So Patchurri was kept. And though family eventually became too uneasy with Patchurri, and left without saying where, Patchurri had learned enough to not die, alone."

The parent shrugged.

"Patchurri lived." It says pragmatically, but not bothering to hide all of its sadness as it continues. "Daddy hopes baby will do well, too. Patchurri thinks will not be so lucky, though. Eventually, Baby will think about it. Baby will go crazy, with thinking. And Baby will leave behind an empty Yukkuri."

"No!" The hybrid insists. "Baby won't be crazy! Baby is good, and won't think about being Patchouli who is Remirya..."

The hybrid pauses, a look of horror coming over its face, beginning to tremble again as it continues to speak without seeming able to force itself to stop.

"... who is Patchouli but who is Remirya who is Patchouli but is Remirya who is Patchouli..." It continues, trembling increasing as its voice grows quieter.

"Daddy is sorry." The parent says, a pained look crossing its face. "... But baby could not stop thinking after all."

Tears are pouring down the hybrids face as it clutches at its head, thin trails of something seeping out from where its claws have begun to dig in. Sakuya seems uninterested in the goings-on, as she seems to have already classified the hybrid as more 'your experimental subject' than 'the child of her pet', and the parent present seems to have given up hope on this one's survival. Possibly having been doubtful from the moment it first saw it, though there is no way of being sure of that.

Still, while you will have to remember to record this data later, you are not really interested in just sitting back and watching the hybrid have a complete mental breakdown from a fragmented identity which it could not reconcile on its own, without poking at it to see if you can nudge things back into place.

"I name you 'Rachel'." You say, tapping the hybrid on the head. "Not 'Patchouli'. Not 'Remilia' or 'Remirya'. You are 'Rachel'."

The hybrids trembling slows to a stop.

"Ra. Chel. Rachel. Is." It says slowly, eyes a little wild still, but fading from near-madness into normality. "Rachel. Is Rachel. Rachel is Rachel. Rachel is Rachel is Rachel is Rachel is Rachel[i]!" It shrieks defiantly at the world, identity redefined, no longer in danger of its mind shattering into pieces that cannot be put back together. ".... Rachel will not break inside her head."

"... Daddy is glad." The parent says. It does seem honestly relieved, at that. It doesn't seem to miss that it is [i]your
hair the hybrid is still hiding in, though.

"That was illuminating, wasn't it?" Sakuya muses aloud.

"Yes, very much." You say. After a moment of thought, you summon the energies of the Moon to drift down on the crate, and the confused, dull chattering from inside fades away, though you still catch a few mentions of sudden sleepiness before it has all gone.

"I still have to divide these. Hm... Sakuya, could you fetch some manner of sugary treats?" You ask.

"Of course." The maid says, disappearing an an eyeblink. You look to the box.

"Yukkuri inside." The parent says, matter-of-factly, though it's not a difficult thing to guess.

"For Rachel to eat?" The hybrid asks, floating off of you to bare her pointy teeth in a wide grin at the thought. The parent frowns in distaste. But it chooses not to comment.

"Perhaps." You say simply. "These are freshly taken from the wild. They have done quite a bit of damage to the gardens.

Patchurri shakes its head, now knowing for certain that nothing it can do will sway the decision you make about their fate, though it doesn't seem greatly perturbed by the likelihood of the deaths soon to become. Lack of attachment, you suppose. By contrast, Rachel's grin has only widened, and she is flexing her tiny fingers in anticipation.

"Some will be given to the more predatory of your number." You allow, and Rachel's eyes seem to gleam. "Some will be given as a gift to one of my acquaintances, to do with as they please. I may perform experiments on some number of them, though this is not a guarantee, and it is highly likely that the nature of the ones I am considering will result in a vast amount of left-over infants which will have to be disposed of in some manner." You continue, seeing no point in sugar-coating things. Patchurri grimaces, but Rachel seems almost ready to dance with delight at the thought.

"If I do choose not to simply dispose of all those un-gifted, then the experiment will most likely require your participation." You say, pointing at Patchurri.

"... What is experiment?" it answers, note of uncertainty in its voice.

"Nothing painful for the subject." You assure it. "I will simply have them make babies. Many babies. I am curious as to the ratio of your kind born with bodies under situations where both, neither, or only one of the parents themselves have bodies."

"... Patchurri doesn't know if Patchurri can help." It says after a moment. "Patchurri is a weird Yukkuri. Others will not want to make babies with Patchurri. ... Patchurri does not want to make babies with them." It finishes softly, in a voice with a clear overtone of subtle disgust at the thought.

Interesting. Strong lack of sexual attraction between those with and without bodies. It would likely be very hard for such a couple to form under natural conditions. Though of course, more unusual for two with bodies to find each other, presuming one is not a flying predatory type, and more, that one does not immediately eat the other if it is. It only leaves you more curious as to what the results would be, in all honesty.

"If Patchurri must, then Patchurri will try, but..." it says, slowly.

"Never mind that. If needed, there are several ways I can extract the required material from you." Patchurri looks suddenly very worried at the thought. "... some kinder than others. Possibly 'extract' was too strong a word. Harvest... no, it isn't better, is it. Collect, perhaps."

"Patchurri likes sound of Collect best." It admits. "Word is... less scary."

"I will not deliberately harm you." You say. "And I can make you sleep beforehand, so that you feel nothing of the process... one way or the other. Any retained specimens, also, will simply go to sleep and wake to find themselves impregnated. And in any case, it need not be your assistance. I will simply need samples from a bodied-type."

Patchurri sighs.

"If miss decides to do this thing, Patchurri will help." It says. "Patchurri will not make you use Remirya or babies for this."

"On that note, it would probably be best if the two of you took care, regarding infants." You say, as a side note. "I will not outright forbid you from having more, but I will not harbor an indefinite amount either. Ask first."

"Patchurri will." It assures you. "... Remirya will not like it." It continues after a moment, awkwardly. "Remirya likes making babies."

"I'm sure. And I'm well aware of your kind's incredible fertility rate: if you mate at all it will almost certainly result in a litter. It's a matter for me to consider. For now, refrain from indulging yourselves."

"Patchurri will also keep any miss keeps from box from making babies and spoiling Miss' plan." It says, going beyond your request.

"That won't be necessary." You say. "If I choose to do this, all the specimens will have their own separate box."

It thinks, but nods. There is a platter of cookies beside you, having arrived at some point, and Rachel is eying them with some interest.

"You'll have something later." You assure it, and it reluctantly turns away from the treat. "For the mean time, conceal yourself quietly. The ones inside will likely be disturbed by your appearance."

Rachel seems disappointed, but follows your command. It chooses to hide itself between your hair and neck. After a moment, you decide not to remove it and force it to be elsewhere.

"Patchurri will go to babies now." Patchurri says, seeming not to want to involve itself in this any more than strictly necessary.

"Yes, have fun with them." You say, opening and pulling the first of the lot out of the crate.

You have decided to begin with the most likely problem case, the Alice-type. You deftly pluck the lunar elemental energies away, then poke at it until it wakes.

".... Yu! T-take it easy, miss... Alice is Alice." it stammers, eyes widening and watering up as it backs away from you, before realizing that it is on a floating circle of wood, with nowhere to run to without jumping, and likely injury after the fall.

"Yes, yes. I am Patchouli Knowledge. 'Take it easy', I suppose." You say, observing what little social niceties you have previously observed from the less mentally-sharp things. It relaxes a little, and you lift a treat from the tray into its line of sight.

"... ! Th-that... that's the very easy, city-sect Mr. Cookie!" It exclaims, eyes widening as a hungry look enters its eyes. "A-alice wants that! Alice wants that very much, miss!"

"There is a word." You say. "That is used to request something. Do you know what that word is, Alice? Use it, and I'll give you this cookie."

"... Yu?" It says, in confusion. "... Easy?" It tries after a moment. "um... Alice wants that, so Alice will think hard.... Easy?" It tries again, followed by a frown. Then tears.

"A-alice... Alice doesn't know, miss! But Alice wants the easy cookie! What is the word?" It says, near the brink of breaking out into sobs.

"The word is 'Please'." You say, having already determined what you wanted to regarding this one's personality and temperament.

"Then! P-please give Alice Mr. City Sect cookie easy, miss?" it asks. You do so, and it sets in quickly, proclaiming its state of mind to the world. "Munch-munch.... Happiness!"

"Yes, yes. As a side note, why did you attack the gardens? The flowers." You clarify, as the Alice fails to recognize what you are referring to. After a few moments, the spark of recognition sets in.

"A-ah... Mister flowers..." She stammered. "They were very good. B-but it wasn't Alice's idea! Big wall is scary... But Alice couldn't say no to Mommy and Daddy and bigger sisters, after Alice and Alice became Bad Alice, and tried to do bad things with Mommy and Daddy and little sisters. Alice would have been treated like a Bad Alice, and Alice is a Good Alice!"

"A good Alice would not have eaten someone else's flowers." You point out, and the Alice looks stricken before you replace the shifted energies, and it rapidly falls back to sleep. You have a reasonably clear picture, now. This one is exceptionally timid, and not prone to the aggressive pursuit of personal satisfaction that the breed is known for. All the same, it seems likely that its story is truth, given its timidness: you can easily see it being pushed into things by more boisterous family members. Compounded with its sisters' awakening to lust and a no-doubt violent reprisal, it would no doubt be making every effort to avoid being labeled as like its sisters, to suffer a similar fate.

After a moment, you set it carefully to sleep in a box to your left. Over the course of the rest of the interviews, it is joined by four others, all from the youngest set, two of each type. They had, if not broken down to ask what the word they wanted was, at least not been agressive in their attempts to get the cookie, merely wailing or crying at refusal at worst. The other box, to your right, now contains both parents, the elder Reimu set, and the remnant of the youngest. These have proven incorrigible.

The younger were bad enough, simply demanding that she hand over the treat rather than asking, and resorting to some combination of puffing up and hurling more demands, mixed with insults and threats, when denied.

The parents were worse. The mother, the Reimu type, had wailed and insisted that it be handed over because she needed the treat to help her raise 'her easy children', and upon denial had defecated and urinated in your direction out of spite. The father, Marisa type, had outright puffed up and leapt off the disk in an attempt to attack you and force your compliance, though it was ineffectual and you soon had it back to sleep, without its treat.

Suitably divided, you cover the boxes, and then rise to move and inject more magic into the vat, as the proceedings took rather longer than you had expected. The tiny ones in Alice's box seem to have simply been following their parents' and siblings' atrocious example in invading the mansion grounds, from your questioning, and do not seem to have been much tainted by the behavior, unlike the others. Any or all of them would likely be fine gifts, despite your uncertainty at handing over a type known to be prone to significant and inappropriate actions. The rest will be fortunate if you decide to use them for experiments, else they will be fodder.

You consider the next stage of division as you eat a quick meal.

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 49187
While the Yukkuri interaction is somewhat interesting, skip over this shit and
[x]More on Hogwarts and the Outside.
>> No. 49188
File 132029770157.jpg- (301.86KB , 1440x810 , is dis nigga serious.jpg ) [iqdb]
49188
>>49187

>timeskip

Pic related.

[X] Remove the sleeping spell from the crate of good yukkuri.
-[X] Have Patchurri brief them on what their future will be like and how to take it easy in their new home.

[X] Pay Ran a visit.
-[X] Consider inviting Tewi as a back-up consultant.
--[X] After giving the mouse toy to Chen, subtly hint that you have some spare yukkuri to get rid of, and they may or may not be filled with a tasty treat.
---[X] To business.
>> No. 49189
While you handled the yukkuri stuff better than I expected, its starting to overshadow the rest of the story, which was already saturated with things to pursue. I think you might want to go lighter on that stuff, unless you want the story to lose focus.

Unless of course your plan was to write an interesting opening and introduce the yukkuri to trick us into reading a yukkuri centered story. In which case, I applaud your dedication to the ol' bait and switch.
>> No. 49190
Remember how this story used to be about Patchy teaching at Hogwarts?

[x] No more yukkuri shit.
>> No. 49192
Man the entire Rachel thing was kinda creepy.

[x]Ensure that all possible ways to the portal are Yukkuri proofed.
>> No. 49194
I half expect it to be a slow build up to a point where Patchy realizes that Yukari, being able to do pretty much anything she wants to by screwing with borders, used the confectionery golems as a base to create the Yukkuri, and dumped them at some point in the not-too-distant past to get their numbers up in a ploy to troll those that lie beyond the fourth wall, and that the whole portal nonsense was just a way to keep her attention divided so she didn't think too deeply on it and manage to figure it out too soon.

They didn't start showing up until the golems were delivered, upon which they were always there.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

On an unrelated note, I should probably stop posting at horrible hours of the night/morning.
>> No. 49195
Why do I have a feeling Patchouli will eventually be wondering why the students couldn't be more like the Yukkuri and easier to keep in line?

With Ran just hope we don't walk in during CHEN TIME. The last time we interrupted that she was trying to strangle us. At least we're not messing with the border but

[x]Be on guard when visiting Ran
[x]Be ready to deal with an Angry Ran.
[x]Make sure Chen's gift is ready as a content Chen (if near Ran) is going to make an ANGRY RAN less Angry and more willing to talk
>> No. 49197
[X] Pay Ran a visit.
[X] Concider inviting Tewi as a back up consultant
[X] After giving the mouse toy to Chen, subtly hint that you have some spare yukkuri to get rid of, and they may or may not be filled with a tasty treat.
[X] To business

Please stop with the out of character rage votes. I would rather not have to deal with a shitstorm because some asspained anon doesent like some particular part of an otherwise excellent story.
>> No. 49199
>>49183 D'oh! Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense in that context...

So if I read that right, we've got 4M, 3R, and 1A that are somewhat docile. If we're planning some genetic experiments, keeping a variety would seem appropriate.

[x] Box up two each of the docile M-types and Reimu-types for Yakumo usage. Remember air holes.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it. If there are any cookies left over, distribute them among "good" yukkuri.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways. Trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in, say, Rachel would be tedious at best.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] Also see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about. The Archives are ever-hungry, after all.

We've boosted the vat, so nothing more with that until evening.

If Ran can tell us more of how the portals work, that could be useful. Getting her to help locate wayward students (or reveal portal locations) is probably an unrealistic expectation, but she might be feeling rebellious.
>> No. 49200
>>49197

>Please stop with the out of character rage votes. I would rather not have to deal with a shitstorm because some asspained anon doesent like some particular part of an otherwise excellent story.

We're not raging about OC moments. We're irritated about the fact that this was originally supposed to be about Patchouli at Hogwarts, but Kahi keeps derailing it for arbitrary stuff over and over again. I want to get to PATCHY TEACHING AT HOGWARTS already. Or at least more about her preparing and her activities that relate. NOT Yukkuris and shit in Gensokyo

[x][x] No more yukkuri shit.
>> No. 49201
>>49200

Eh. I agree that I'd like the yukkuri stuff to bloody end already (seriously, Kahi, their genetics and breeding habits are not that interesting) but most of the other little derailings have been immensely entertaining.

And who knows, maybe the little foodballs will end up being important to the main plot in an interesting way.

>>49194, demented from sleep deprivation as he may be, brings up a few interesting points in that direction.
>> No. 49202
>>49200

>We're not raging about OC moments

That's not even close to what my post was saying.

>this was originally supposed to be about Patchouli at Hogwarts, but Kahi keeps derailing it for arbitrary stuff over and over again

What? That doesn't even make sense...we are the ones voting and choosing everything. Kahi doesn't even give us author-made choices.

I'm pretty sure you're the dude from before who doesn't understand English.
>> No. 49203
[x] Keep the Good Alice for experiments.
[x] Give the youngest yukkuri to Chen.
[x] Feed the incorrigible to the Remirya.
[x] Prepare to visit Ran.

I find yukkuri shit extremely interesting. Can't please everyone, I guess.
>>49202
Kahi sometimes picks options he likes. We saw that in the last update, with the (incredibly awesome) Rachel naming.
>> No. 49204
>>49203

True, but never to the point of going against the winning vote(s) in any way.
>> No. 49205
[x] Box up two each of the docile M-types and Reimu-types for Yakumo usage. Remember air holes.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] If the opportunity presents itself, see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about.

Personally I've enjoyed all the sidetracks except the yukkuri bit so I wouldn't say I'm only in this for Patchy teaching at Hogwarts.
As for the yukkuri I'd rather incinerate them all and be done with it but that would be a bit too much of a 180 at this point I suppose. I will just keep voting to have as little focus on the things as possible.
>> No. 49206
[x] Keep the Good Alice for experiments.
[x] Give the youngest yukkuri to Chen.
[x] Feed the incorrigible to the Remirya.
[x] Prepare to visit Ran. Bring up the topics that are relevant when doing so.

[x] Do not deliberately avoid writing Yukkuri stuff.

Chalk another vote for one who is liking the entire thing so far. That scene with Rachel was good, too. I'm not voting to have the focus on them all the time, but I'm perfectly fine when they end up relevant.
>> No. 49207
It really sucks that people have such a jaded view of yukkuri from all the fan culture.

I mean seriously...juding from all the hate, you would think Kahi was writing a story about fairy sized KKK members inhabiting Gensokyo.
>> No. 49208
>>49207
I don't care what they are or are not like. Yukkuri just inspire the same revulsion in me as slugs, and I wouldn't want the story to be about those either.
>> No. 49209
>>49207
I wouldn't care if there were a few yukkuri in the story. The problem is the way the yukkuri have completely taken over the story.
>> No. 49210
>>49207
As a meme they have been over-used and abused to the point of infuriation to most people. They're like the Rickroll. Nobody finds them funny any more.

I have to wonder just how Chen is going to react to being given a few dozen tiny bouncing animated meat buns as toys/treats/pets.
>> No. 49211
[x] Box up two each of the docile M-types and Reimu-types for Yakumo usage. Remember air holes.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it. If there are any cookies left over, distribute them among "good" yukkuri.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways. Trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in, say, Rachel would be tedious at best.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] Also see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about. The Archives are ever-hungry, after all.


Also, OOC [x][x] Yes more yukkuri.
>> No. 49212
[x] Keep the Good Alice for experiments.
[x] Give the youngest yukkuri to Chen.
[x] Feed the incorrigible to the Remirya.
[x] Prepare to visit Ran. Bring up the topics that are relevant when doing so.

Put me in the crowd that wants the Yukkuri plot to stay. If extremist yukkuri haters must be countered with extremist yukkuri sympathizers, then I have to say that I hope that yukkuris become a solid part of the main plot then.

I don't get how a group of anon that once controlled an intelligent Patchurri through the dangers of the world of Gensokyo wants to just get rid of her, especially since she has done nothing but behave in the presence of those whom she is imposing on, she, in a very pained manner, mind you, offered to crush her own children in the event that they cause trouble within the mansion, if that doesn't show how much this is important to Patchurri, I don't know what will.

And before you anon claim that you weren't voting in that thread, the anons voting in that thread had better speak up if they value that Patchurri they controlled the fate of in the side story from before.

There is a large denial of how Yukkuris are just humans in a more primitive form. Most of humanity is stupid, but there are outliers like Patchurri here, I'm sure the human race also has those sorts of outliers, correct me if I'm wrong though. I wouldn't put it past anon to agree and say they want to incinerate the entire human race, after all, I'm an anon myself, I can admit I've had that thought occasionally, more often when directly dealing with many people in person thanks to the ever-so-popular service economy.
>> No. 49213
File 13203088382.jpg- (7.75KB , 300x226 , mah nigga.jpg ) [iqdb]
49213
>>49212
>> No. 49215
[x] Box up two each of the docile M-types and Reimu-types for Yakumo usage. Remember air holes.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it. If there are any cookies left over, distribute them among "good" yukkuri.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways. Trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in, say, Rachel would be tedious at best.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] Also see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about. The Archives are ever-hungry, after all.

Man, when we get to Hogwarts we are going to wish the students were as simple as Yukkuri.

Personally, I think Kahi is using this "Yukkuri Arc" as a breather to pre plan a lot of the main story's plot points and events. This way, he can still pump out our fix while keeping pace despite the ever growing amount of stuff we seem to be doing.

Further, Kahi could use our votes on how to deal with Yukkuri to speed along our interactions with the Hogwarts students, in a general kind of way. We are kinds sorta shaping her personality. Sorta.

But that's all idle speculation from someone who needs more sleep.

Plus, we may just end up seeing what happened to those Candy Golems!

....If they have candy golems, what kind of treat are Yukkuri? I know Chen is a cat that likes to play with her food, but candy golems sound freaking awesome.
>> No. 49217
[X] Pay Ran a visit.
[X] Concider inviting Tewi as a back up consultant
[X] After giving the mouse toy to Chen, subtly hint that you have some spare yukkuri to get rid of, and they may or may not be filled with a tasty treat.
[X] To business
Loud minority is... loud, I guess. Fucking annoying.
Anyway, set up the gifts and visit Ran. I hope she can help.
>> No. 49218
[x] Keep the Good Alice for experiments.
[x] Give the youngest yukkuri to Chen. [Chen side quest!]
[x] Feed the incorrigible to the Remirya.
[x] Prepare to visit Ran. Bring up the topics that are relevant when doing so.
[x] Do not deliberately avoid writing Yukkuri stuff.
>> No. 49219
[x] Take Rachel when you visit Ran.

She's so cute, riding on Patchouli.
>> No. 49220
>>49215

Kahi is also known as Chibi Reaper elsewhere. And he has a bad habit of not finishing his fics. With the Yukkuri derailing, I fear that this CYOA may end before Patchy even gets to Hogwarts.
>> No. 49221
>>49220
Holy shit, seriously? I've liked Carried Off and Away to Neverland for ages. No wonder it stopped getting updates.

He just got upgraded to "I will read anything he writes, no matter what" status.
>> No. 49222
{x} Ran and CHEN! stuff with gifts and food. feed the bad yukkuri to the family
>> No. 49225
[x] Box up one each of the docile ones. Remember air holes.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways. Trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in, say, Rachel would be tedious at best.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] Also see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about. The Archives are ever-hungry, after all.

[x] LESS on yukkuris.

Modifying this. Sakuya did say that 2-3 would be enough. Rest can be used as fodder.

And while I suppose it's too late to simply make them all vanish from the story (unless Flandre passed by), I'm definitely tired of how big a presence they have in this lately.
>> No. 49226
[x] Box up one each of the docile ones. Remember air holes.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways. Trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in, say, Rachel would be tedious at best.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.

[x] LESS on yukkuris.

I agree on this. I want to see patchy in Hogwarts dammit.
>> No. 49227
More/less on yukkuri is not a vote. Read the damn story for what it is and make real votes. Pro/anti yukkuri votes are fine if its part of the story, but nobdy cares about you spamming your personal opinion on the matter disguised as as some bullshit meta-vote.
>> No. 49229
>>49227

Unless you're Kahi, you're adding more fuel to the fire, especially with the way you're saying it. Yes, they're here, we can hardly deny their existence and they won't vanish just because soem wish to. On the other hand, it's hard to deny the focus of the story shifted since they have arrived and the frustration of some readers is definitely understandable. So many things left to do, not that much time left for it.
>> No. 49230
>>49212
I didn't vote in the yukkuri story, I kept it open in a tab to see when it was over so we could get back to the story that is one of my absolute favourites on this board.
Fortunately it was quick, and unfortunately it spilled over into the story proper.
I can live with that. Much like I can live with having snails in the garden, the less I see of them the happier I am.
I said I'd rather just incinerate them all (or have incinerated them all right away I should say, it's a bit late now) not because I want them dead (I have nothing personal against the snails in the garden either) but because I'm happier with them far out of sight and out of mind.

I won't vote to suddenly massacre them all because that'd be completely against the development in the story. I will simply keep voting to do stuff that doesn't involve them as often as possible.
If you feel that calls for an "extreme" response then that speaks more of you and any like-minded anons than it does of me.
>> No. 49232
[x] Keep the Good Alice for experiments.
[x] Give the youngest yukkuri to Chen.
[x] Feed the incorrigible to the Remirya.
[x] Prepare to visit Ran. Bring up the topics that are relevant when doing so.

I don't mind Yukkuri. There is just too much rage going on here, people need to take it easy more.
>> No. 49233
>>49199

>So if I read that right, we've got 4M, 3R, and 1A that are somewhat docile.

>Over the course of the rest of the interviews, it is joined by four others, all from the youngest set, two of each type. ... The other box, to your right, now contains both parents, the elder Reimu set, and the remnant of the youngest.

So yeah, just pointing that out. It's 2 and 2 of the youngest, not all seven. It's fine though, because I'm about to head to back to back classes and won't really start writing until after those are done anyway. That'll give a few extra hours before I start vote-tallying, etc.
>> No. 49234
I'm curious as to why you guys want to keep the Alice that try hard to stay good for experiments that will need breeding. You want her to turn bad?
>> No. 49235
>>49234
Eh, I just want to see more of her, so I put her in a group that wouldn't go to Chen or get eaten. Besides, Patchouli said the experiments wouldn't involve actual mating.

Seeing her go bad could be fun too, though. Traumatized, timid moeblob goes yandere~
>> No. 49236
>>49179 >>49181
You forgot:
- Add defenses to our library or take it with us.

And we bought standard defense books. We didn't buy standard non-defense books.

So yeah. That's some stuff we have to take care of. But what will be doing with our other hand?
>> No. 49237
[x] Keep the Good Alice for experiments.
[x] Give the youngest yukkuri to Chen.
[x] Feed the incorrigible to the Remirya.
[x] Prepare to visit Ran. Bring up the topics that are relevant when doing so.

I've enjoyed the yukkuri being in this story so far despite my previous dislike of them in general and would not object to seeing more.
>> No. 49238
>>49230

I don't anyone minds voting for stuff that leads away from the Yukkuri and puts other stuff in the limelight for the moment. It's when people start explicitly voting for Kahi to shut down all Yukkuri related stuff that those who like reading about them need to make their votes heard as well.
>> No. 49239
>>49237
Just something to note in votes like this: what happens to the 3 others if one is given, Alice is kept and bad ones are used as fodder?

>>49236
>>49179 did mention the library's defense.

That being said, I remembered I still didn't vote.

[x] Box up one each of the docile ones. Remember air holes.
[x] Use the rest as food for the R-types and Rachel.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways. Trying to recreate the conditions that resulted in, say, Rachel would be tedious at best.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.

Simply put, I can live with what we already have. But we don't have the time to conduct experiments, so let's not get more yukkuris than we already have. Wouldn't be the first time Patchouli mentionend doing something but then changed her mind (Mitsuru's protection, when we mentionned bringing her somewhere unspecified but ultimatly didn't do it).
>> No. 49240
>>49233

Looks like I misread.  My primary goal was to allow Chen to still have a complete "set" even if she shared with Ran and Yukari.  Or, rather, so that Yukari could not simply steal a unique one, on the chance that might be the one that would appeal to Chen.

I don't particularly care about yukkuri husbandry, so I'm indifferent to what happens with the others.  So I think my vote (49199) stands as is.
>> No. 49241
[x] Box up two of each of the docile M-types and Reimu-types for Yakumo usage. Remember air holes.
[x] Keep the good A-pattern for experimentation.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] If the opportunity presents itself, see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about.

I think "swamped in Yukkuri" is an overstatement. Aside from the side quest, there's only been three updates relating to them, compared with the previous 7 threads dealing with interactions inside Gensokyo as well as Outside. Eventually focusing on Hogwarts will be appreciated, but don't make them vanish completely. it's fun to read about them.

A note on the A-pattern: maybe it's modeled after a normal Alice instead of a yandere one (so far at least).
>> No. 49242
[x] Box up two of each of the docile M-types and Reimu-types for Yakumo usage. Remember air holes.
[x] Keep the good A-pattern for experimentation.
-[x]Make some sort of golem or something tasked to restrain her in the event she goes rogue.
[x] Sakuya was going to have a cake ready, too, right? Also box that up (separately).
[x] Lunch, if you need it.
[x] Go and see Ran about her master.
-[x] Make sure you don't have any unintended stowaways.
-[x] Present the bribes. No need to specify an intended fate for the yukkuri unless Ran views them as simple vermin.
-[x] See if she already knows what her master is up to, and if she would be willing to (indirectly) help.
-[x] Mentioning the existence of the candy-golems might be a polite thing to do. But if we find her covered in pudding, it might be best to remain silent on the matter.
-[x] If the opportunity presents itself, see if she has any notes on that experiment of Yukari's that we heard about.

My main concern with the A-type is that it'll go nuts and cause the others undue stress.
>> No. 49243
File 132035519891.jpg- (212.06KB , 709x591 , 1880498a34234d39383625eff8529c0d7565607c.jpg ) [iqdb]
49243
The Marisa and Reimu types are, comparatively at least, as common as dirt. You create a small box with insets inside, for carefully holding the fragile infants in place, and set them inside, latching it shut. A slight modification puts air-vents in the box.

Alice, by contrast, is not a rare breed, but certainly not so common, and its personality is unusual besides. You encase that one in a box similar to the one containing the miscreant child, though appropriately larger, to suit the differing sizes. Then you nudge Rachel, carefully removing her from your hair. She seems to have fallen asleep during the interrogations, but some nudging wakes her.

"Pick one." You say, pointing at the box of hopeless cases, now lidless again. "One of the small ones."

Rachel beams and flaps down into the interior, at a short length selecting the last tiny Reimu and removing it to the table. She looks at you hopefully, and after a moment you tug away and disperse the slumber of the infant.

It wakes, sees Rachel's wide smile, and tumbles backwards with a start, getting some distance and puffing out.

"Weimu ish Stwong!" It warns, note of worry in its voice still as Rachel approaches slowly. "Shiddy weird yukkuri go 'way!"

"Gonna eat you~" Rachel declares simply in response, making a deliberate production of lifting up her arms, hands with pointy nails at the tip.

It seems to have been what the Reimu was worried about, as it deflates quickly to present a smaller target, and hops quickly backwards. Then an almost sly look crosses its face.

"Weird yukkuri ish weird." It says deliberately. "Ish the weird yukkuri Patchouli, or Remirya?"

"Rachel is Rachel." Rachel answers smugly. The Reimu has just a moment to look startled before she speeds up and closes the distance. "Lunch is lunch~"

"... Vicious little thing." You note, shaking your head as Rachel tears into the treat, setting the box containing the others to float up and follow you. You pause at the containment box, with the little Remirya sulking in a corner.

"And have you learned your lesson?" You ask.

"Remirya is sorry." It says despondently.

"Very good. If that's the case, you can leave the box." You reply.

"No!" It shrills, panic suddenly settling in. "Remirya don't wanna! Remirya will stay in the box!"

It doesn't take long to grasp the nature of the terror, as the little one is fairly obviously terrified of what could happen once it, a proven Naughty Child, got within the range of Mister Stick, outside of the box where it couldn't reach. You could try explaining that it is perfectly safe, now, but this one doesn't seem particularly bright. You decide not to bother.

"Very well, then." You say instead, depositing one of the infant Marisa. "In the box you'll remain. But have a treat for apologizing like a good child."

It squeals and launches itself, with none of Rachel's restraint. The infant barely has time to wake before the Remirya is upon it, and it's all but over already. You take the box onward.

The spider is sitting in a corner of the enclosure, slowly reading to the yukkuri a tale of a wolf, a goat, and its seven kids. The P-patterns seem interested, draped over her, none more than Patchurri, who is mouthing the words along with the spider, but seem at least a little put off by the tale itself. By contrast, the R-patterns show no interest at all in learning the letters, from now-awakened mother down, but the description of the wolf devouring the goat's children has caught their attention enough to listen raptly to the tale, smiles wide. They seem disappointed at its eventual demise, and shudder as they are told how it is pulled beneath the water by the stones put in its stomach to replace the kids.

"Poor wolfie..." The mother mourns aloud. You cough to get their attention, setting the box down in the opposite corner.

"I have a special treat here, for Remirya's." You say, as they turn and make their way to surround the crate, dispelling the magics on its contents. "Patchouli, remain where you are. This likely won't be of interest to you."

They peer over anyway, as voices start to sound, and the mother inside displays its distress at realizing children are missing. You believe you hear one of the elder spawn complaining inside about 'weak and stupid Alice' not being around to press into figuring out what's going on. Without hesitation, you tip the box over, spilling its contents out.

The tiny Marisa cheers, declaring how it's 'rolling, eajy!' before reaching the wall of the enclosure and breaking out into yelling and foul language. The rest of them freeze, one after another, at the sight of the mother-Remirya and three of her children floating around her, backing them into the corner.

"Gonna eat you~" The mother declares smugly, echoed by its children and an 'Uu~" from the bodiless one. That one seems a little dimmer than the others. Well, you'll see if it reaches their level or not.

The father-Marisa stammers, eyes darting around for an escape route, finding none, and finally settling on the Patchouli watching from beyond.

"Patchouli!" It declares, latching on to them in suddenly desperation, and attempting foolishly to bound past. "Marisa is big and strong, but Patchouli are weaker and tastier! Leave Marisa alone, and The Great Marisa will even squish them for-!"

Remirya interrupts, as the Marisa tries to bypass it, by driving a hand into its side, lifting it, and hurling it back to impact with the rest. You privately note that no mention was made of its mate or brood, all focus having been on securing its own life, if at all possible.

"Remirya doesn't want to eat Remirya's babies." It says, licking paste off its hand. "Gonna eat you~"

"M-miss!" The mother Reimu tries, heaving the injured and leaking Marisa off itself as it tries to worm its way up the wall to you. "It isn't too late! Rescue Reimu, and Reimu will forgive everything!"

"Oh, I can't do that." You say, dispassionately, noting that again no mention of the others had been made, only a desperate plea that it be spared, then move on to turning its own words against it. "After all... mother Remirya needs this treat to properly continue raising her pretty babies. Stupid Reimu should be silent and obediently hand over the tasty, easy."

"But Reimu doesn't want to be eaten!" It wails, as the R-patterns descend upon them like hungry piranha. You watch, mentally taking notes of the ineffectual attempts to fight them off, until there is not a scrap left. You turn, seeing that Rachel has approached again, finished with her own treat, and has watched with interest equal to your own.

"I have to step out for a bit." You say. "I need you to be a good girl and stay with the others, now. Yamame will read to you all, while I am out, so try to learn what the letters mean."

"Rachel will try." She says, as the R-patterns return, having licked one another's faces clean, and wait wide-eyed for another tale. The P-patterns seem mildly nervous, aside from Patchurri itself, but settle down quickly once it becomes clear that none of the predatory members of the family are making any hostile actions. "... Daddy is a little scary, though."

"Your parent is unusually driven and determined." You note. "But I don't believe that it will harm you as long as it doesn't feel that it has to. Be a good girl and wait patiently."

"Okay.." It says, flapping down to settle on the opposite side of the spider from its father. You sigh, stretching, and move to attend to the last little matters before you step out.

First, erecting a thin-walled, hollow stone pillar with a thick and closeable wooden door around the sunken pillar and portal. None of your little specimens will be getting through that, without first figuring out doorknobs, and aside from that the door is fused to the pillar, solid until such time as you are ready to use it. That should be more than enough to secure the way.

Second, you craft a mouse of gleaming white clay, and imbue the shell with a near-mindless, but playful, spirit to animate its form, and set it in a small metal cage. Then you set the gifts all together: floating disk of wood holding them up, thin wooden box containing one of Sakuya's excellent cakes set on bottom, with the box of Yukkuri and Pseudo-mouse cage set on top. You suppose you are as prepared as you will ever be, and the vat will be fine until it's completed, after dinner.

You rip a portal open to Mayohiga, and step through.

The empty village is supposedly somewhat unnerving to walk through for humans, inhabited almost only by stray animals as it is. You mostly just find it annoying that the closest you can get with a portal is the outer limits of the town, forcing you to make your way through the streets to its center via more normal means. Yukari and her shikigami naturally live in the largest and grandest of the houses. Not that this is difficult to determine, as with a regularly watered display of potted plants outside of the door, it is the only house that looks even a little lived in in the entire town.

You knock calmly at the door, and Ran opens it after a long minute of waiting, wearing an apron dusted with flour.

"Yes? Do you want something, or are you just here to be annoying?" She asks seriously.

"I would like to speak with you." You say. "I brought gifts."

"... Fine. Come in, I guess." The fox grumbles, turning to allow you entrance. You make your way in to a sitting room and settle in. "So what do you have."

"Animated mouse." You say, floating it up for inspection. Ran pulls it out, gives it a glance, and drops it to the ground, where it skitters around.

"Seriously?" She asks, frowning. "Just because Chen is a cat, you think-"

"Nya~" Chen cheers, interrupting Ran as she pounces through the door, rolling across the mouse, and coming up with it caught between her teeth, eyes sparkling.

".... Chhhhheeeeeeeennn...." Ran says, in a tone that is almost, but not quite, whining. "... You couldn't have waited for me to make my point?"

"Shorry, Ran-shama." The nekomata says, not seeming particularly contrite about it at all.

"In any case, I've also brought these. Four infant yukkuri, which seem relatively docile and well behaved from initial inspection, and a chocolate cake."

"After dinner." Ran says, responding before Chen's eyes have even started flashing. "We have a surplus of those at the moment, but still-sane is better. Lady Yukari set up a coliseum, and set a few dozen into battle against a gelatin-construct. Lots of them got squished, some outright lost their little minds when dessert stood up and started fighting back. They just sit in place and mumble gibberish to themselves now. The cake is fine, though. Say your piece."

"I wish to discuss one of your Master's amusements." You say dryly, deciding for the moment to not bring up your creation of the construct in question unless it becomes relevant.

"You are aware that she's watching us right now, correct?" Ran responds dubiously.

"I had considered as much." You reply. "Humor me."

Ran sighs, but listens as you outline the situation.

"... Is that what she's up to, then?" she muses aloud. "I hope you don't think you can sway me to act against my Master's wishes, however?"

"I would not consider making the attempt." You lie. "I merely wish to discuss the matter, and see if you might offer any insight."

Ran shakes her head.

"If I run across one of your students, I'll give them a head start." She says. "I'm not willing to promise any more than that. For the rest of it... Well, I'll give you this much advice. Lady Yukari has a very low boredom threshold. If she gets bored, there are two options she turns to. The first is sleep. This is generally ideal, since what she can get up to is drastically limited by that. The second is arranging for something interesting to happen and keep her entertained. You want to avoid the second, as much as possible."

"I fear it's too late for that." You say.

"That's where you're wrong." Ran replies immediately. "Because Yukari is also extremely lazy. If something interesting is already happening for her to watch, then she is less inclined to stir up the pot so much. I'd guess you've been doing some sedentary things, a lot of sitting in one place and reading through books and documents, making notes, writing up plans?"

The accusation hits fairly close to home and you shift in place.

"You want to avoid that, as much as possible. Do things. They don't even need to be particularly active things, so long as it isn't just sitting in one place and thinking, turning pages, or scribbling something down now and again. Or at the very least, when doing so is unavoidable, arrange to have something else going on at the same time for her to divide her attention with. You should have more opportunity once you start working outside, but teaching is generally fairly monotonous too. Make a production of things, if you can. Keep her attention on what you're doing with the classes, and she's more likely to just drop the portals in places that won't cause much trouble, rather than ones that are akin to actively jabbing a stick into an anthill. It may not be possible, but try not to repeat your class lessons too much." She says.

"I see. This... will work?" You say, dubious.

"For all her power, Lady Yukari is unusually prone to being distracted by shiny objects, as it were." Ran says.

"Hm. Well, in any case, I had also heard of a... Social Experiment, of sorts." You continue. "And I had wondered what it would take to get a copy of any notes that might exist."

"More than you could put up." Ran says without hesitation. "Lady Yukari doesn't often take specific notes of things like that, and when she does, she keeps them all up here, rather than on paper."

She taps her head meaningfully.

"She keeps track of these things in her head?" You say with some interest.

"No." Ran says, flatly and grumpily. "She keeps track of them in my head. You wouldn't believe how annoying it is, especially since a lot of it she's fixed so I can't get at it myself. Was there anything else?"

You wonder if there is.

---

And it looks like autosage times are here again.
>> No. 49244
>Lady Yukari set up a coliseum, and set a few dozen into battle against a gelatin-construct.

Yeeeeeeeessssss! Nwo that's what I call an awesome use for those golems.
>> No. 49245
The little jerk yukkuri was smarter than expected - it knew that questioning Rachel's type would probably confuse and defeat it.

Kind of sad to see that Rachel has a daddy phobia, even if it isn't surprising for someone who can tell the lengths to which their father is willing to go. I know I'd be scared if I knew my dad was willing to kill me in cold blood.
>> No. 49246
[x] Thank Ran for her time and bid farewell to her and Chen.
[x} Shift up your schedule. Go Outside, and try to plan while on your outing. It will make planning anything more complicated, do to distractions, but it also will keep Yukari's interest.
[x] It occurs to you that you might actually have quite a few books about teaching magic spells or styles. Some of these will probably have tips to teaching incompetent students.
[x] Finish up the Homonculi and send the Greeks on their way. We have enough distracting us while trying to be interesting. Yukari may even divide her attention between us and them.
>> No. 49247
voting isn't open yet
>> No. 49248
>>49245
I'm sure they'll eventually get along smashingly. Rachel is on an equal level of competence, after all, and Patchurri doesn't punish children at random.

Rather clever of Yukari to use Ran's head as a portable brain drive. Seems very...utilitarian, though.
>> No. 49249
Clearly we must extract Ran's brain to acquire her knowledge.

We can keep it in a jar and found a new wing of the library dedicated to brains in jars.
>> No. 49250
>>49248
Rachel is scared of Patchurri because she's intelligent. She can recognize Patchurri for the creepily driven, competent person she is. And they're not the same type, that's got to cause problems too. Rachel doesn't share a type with ~anyone~.

>Chen
>head notes
>type questioning
>dessert standing up and fighting back against yukkuri
>shiny object strategy
Cool! I like Yukari more the more I hear about her.
>> No. 49251
File 132036007753.jpg- (415.80KB , 850x989 , sample_2da2cc96373623ac07e7c753c8f146ac7e81cf66.jpg ) [iqdb]
49251
It's that time again, kids.

Beer Bribery- Well, she's already drinking up beers. Lots of beer. All the beers. Can't really bribe her with more. I guess Patchouli just defaulted to the next most reasonable thing.

"Remilia just gave birth to you, and you're the father."- Pah. Even if she wasn't capable of differentiating between herself and things that happen to look like her, Patchouli wouldn't be much of a magician to lose her cool over a little thing like that. I'll cite Udisvalt the Unusual here, who through a very complex series of accidents and time-travel, once attended a wedding as Bride, Groom, Best Man, Minister, and that one scruffy little urchin every wedding has to carry the rings up.

Sun and Moon cycles- Oh boy would this be noticed. Funny, maybe. But it'd be noticed.

Incompetent Magical Students- Unfortunately, most of the advice about poorly-inclined apprentices available in the books Patchouli has to hand boil down to two easy steps. 'Keep giving them tasks far out of their league to handle', and 'after mopping up, find a better apprentice'. Sad to say, but that tactic isn't really going to work out, here.
>> No. 49252
File 132036180434.jpg- (131.40KB , 878x931 , Cloaked in shadow.jpg ) [iqdb]
49252
>>49251

Where's the little sister and what have you done with her?! She still needs a dinosaur.
>> No. 49254
I'm wondering myself why the timezone problem wasn't brought up. Maybe last vote it was brought was a wrong time, but it will need to be adressed soon unless there's a spell for it.
>> No. 49255
>>49254
Patchouli sleeps during the night, England time. We don't need to do anything special to prepare for this.
>> No. 49256
>>49255
I KNOW that. But if we don't start doing it soon, Patchouli will be a wreck once term starts. It's not the kind of thing you get used to in a single night. Especially not with the poor health Patchouli has.
>> No. 49258
New Thread: >>49257


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x