- [WT] [Home] [Manage]
[Show or hide post box]

Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 150263746427.jpg - (287.10KB, 1664x1170, apres la pluie.jpg) [iqdb]
197641 No. 197641 hide watch expand quickreply
Previous thread: >>190622

-

“I wonder if this is what it feels like to be a mother,” Aya said at long last. She had been relatively quiet for some time, offering only a terse shrug or half-mumbled reply whenever I said something. Part of it may have been a normal post-meal slump, that time when thoughts are weighed down by physical satisfaction. Part of it may have been real introspection. Perhaps, more likely, it had been a convenient way for her to setup whatever other point she wanted to make before the night was through.

I couldn’t tell what her deal really was. As the night wore on, I was less and less sure of her real thoughts and motivations. I briefly wondered if she thought the same about me, since I wasn’t really open either. At least, I tried not to be. I refrained from asking her about things I wanted to ask because I wasn’t sure if it’d be playing into her hand. At any rate, the timing was off.

I smiled, hoping to mask my true thoughts and went through the opening she left me, asking, “what do you mean?”

Aya sighed, leaned back in her chair and turned her eyes up to the ceiling, looking like she was staring through solid material at the stars. There was a pause. For better or worse, I found myself leaning in slightly, crossing my arms. “I have my doubts about if you’re ready,” she said, keeping her gaze fixed upwards.

“About tomorrow?” I asked the unnecessary.

“Yep. Going out into the wider world all by yourself isn’t easy. If you mess up, it won’t just be me that you have to worry about.”
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
83 posts and 10images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198973
>>198971
I expected people on a website dedicated to a fandom where both most of the characters and plot points in the source material are motivated by "alien value systems" to be interested. It's just so fundamental to the experience, kind of like reading and voting regularly in the stories they like. But people have failed to do that as well so maybe I'm the outlier when it comes to perspective. And it's not like wish-fulfillment stories with cute touhous doing cute things I've done have fared better. The apathy on this site is really disgusting and I posted despite knowing that I'd be more likely to get either indifference or moralizing outrage about not writing than the actual readers and votes the story needs. I know deep down that ain't no one going to go "oh maybe I should actually read and vote here because it's not a bad story and I like activity" because you guys are cold and at times it seems like you can't be bothered to do that bare minimum as a community. Yeah, that's bitterness. But it's also my experience with other stuff I've had to drop - no one ever comes to the rescue and tries to save a story by offering their support.

>>198972
Take your prejudiced opinions to literally anywhere else on the internet where people relish attacking one another. Go fight your cultural wars elsewhere. This is me telling you as the site owner. I'm not going to tolerate politicized bullshit of any stripe on a site about magical girl fanfiction. Especially not in my own threads where moderation tradition is that the writer is king when it comes to content.

Putting aside that warning and the specific contents, it is poor form to post any sort of argument that is not up for critique. It is acting in bad faith when it comes to debate.

The narrator is first person and events are colored by his biases and views. Choices and
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 198974
Thank you for letting us know.

At this point, after so many failures. I wish you wouldn't post stories ever again.

I hate saying that, but doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is... actually quite different from the definition of insanity; but it still is somewhat dumb. And painful.
>> No. 198975
>>198974
Meh. I like writing. If I can figure out a way to minimize the shortcomings here, I'll continue to write this. If not, I'll probably someday try writing something else. Perhaps something like a story designed to be updated only every couple of weeks, with 3 votes or whatever.

Whatever other flaws I may have as a writer and user of the site, I am pretty flexible when it comes to managing expectations and committed to trying my best and willing to write as much as is possible. Years ago, when daily updates were made possible due to users that voted regularly on the site, I made time to write even when there was a lot going on in my personal life and things like video games were far easier alternatives to actually thinking and putting in effort. While you may be disappointed to the point of bitterness, all it would take for me to carry on without making any changes would be for the people who are disregarding the premise to reverse course and maybe have another regular voter so we can avoid ties that don't get resolved no matter how much time passes like we have now. I'd love it if I actually got help from people, yourself included. Read, vote, discuss if you want, tell others to do so as well. Not hard at all. Yet I'm pausing the story because I don't expect it given the track record of the site (and posts thus far from others kinda prove that people would rather bitch than do anything about it). So, instead, all I can do is adapt and change my approach. Which is the opposite of trying the same thing over and over.


File 141647723610.jpg - (159.75KB, 850x1037, sample_c5183957333b51628e7653104fdba0b9.jpg) [iqdb]
182940 No. 182940 hide watch expand quickreply
Previous thread: >>/shorts/1265

---

I think that's the best applause of the night. Yukari fakes a pout as she steps out in front of me, presumably to steal back the spotlight. I don't think she's going to be winning the audience's attention back after that, though.

[Hey.]

As if to drive the point home, she drops me through a gap back into my chair. This causes a jolt of adrenaline, but the applause instantly stops once everyone realizes it's only Yukari left on stage.

"Well, in any case," Yukari once again speaks into the microphone, "let's not delay lunch too much longer. I'm looking at someone right now who's already pouting about being kept from her food," she says while looking straight at Yuyuko, who actually isn't pouting, and in fact is staring back with the same emotionless expression as everyone else.

After another moment of awkward silence, she disappears through another gap, and the murmur of conversation once again slowly propagates across the clearing.

"We need to talk." Reimu's voice from behind causes me to jump.
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
234 posts and 23images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198962
>>198961
always check post dates, lol
>> No. 198963
Um, guys? We may have just fucked up... What's Momiji going to think of this "hot date" with Rumina?

... inb4 the food turns out to be spicy
>> No. 198964
>>198962
lul


File 151047841699.jpg - (612.46KB, 600x800, 1507745149764.jpg) [iqdb]
198206 No. 198206 hide watch expand quickreply
I sighed as I sat up, annoyed at myself. Mother always said a shrine maiden’s most basic responsibility of all is towards herself – I couldn’t hope to serve her or help others if I couldn’t take care of myself. Eating enough and eating properly, sleeping right, keeping clean and neat; all elementary things you might not think consciously about, but of vital importance nonetheless. Because it was Mother’s direct teaching, I took it as seriously as I would any youkai extermination: a threat to my health was a thread to my work, and that could not be allowed.

I knew what the issue was. Slowing down to keep pace with Aya for a few days in a row had left me with excess energy. I didn’t think I was the kind to get restless over it, but it built up over time either way.


I took stock of our situation as I thought of what to do to work off the extra energy. The night no longer looked red: the thin white lines now radiated enough clear, bright light that they easily drowned out the moon and stars in intensity. They lacked the red color, as if they were on the inside, and the sky on the outside of a big pane of colored glass. They had nearly covered the entire sky now, and I had to look for a full minute to spot even one tiny patch of starlit sky not covered by the web of light. Whatever this was doing to the world, it would be complete before next dusk.

Aya breathed peacefully, having tumbled into sleep nearly instantly from the fatigue of the day. I felt a strong pull of anxiety as I saw his skinny, pale little limbs shake from another passing shiver, the fire having died down to embers by then. My teeth clenched. It was that same unexplainable protective instinct from before flaring up again. I huffed as I got up and fed the fire, and forcing myself to stop there. It would get improper, otherwise.

I hadn’t seen my friend for almost a full day now, but I quickly nixed the idea of going off to look for him. Aya was vulnerable here, I couldn’t just run off to look for a dog. There was one thing I could do to occupy my time.


I sat near the fire and started to relax, feeling the warmth of the fire wash over me. With some reverence
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
117 posts and 8images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198958
>>198956

Wait what. Seriously? Damn.

Well, thank you for your time and effort; I certainly don't think it was a waste. I could tell toward the end that you cared less and less, but at least during the Seija story it still felt like you were invested. And Kiss Me looked like nothing less than a labor of love - you'll have to forgive me if I refuse to believe you didn't feel something from that epic, even if it makes me a big fat hypocrite.

But anyway, thanks for the good times, and good luck with whatever you decide to 'waste' your free time on instead.
>> No. 198965
It sucks to see it stop, but I suppose if it's not fun for you to write, it can't be helped. For whatever it's worth I enjoyed reading and I'm sure a lot of others did as well.

I would like an ending of sorts if you can be bothered, just for a little closure. Doesn't have to be long or good but something is better than nothing IMO
>> No. 198967
Witness: yet another reason we should have more writers working for commission. Everything would be so much easier around here if writers were slaves to our capitalist society instead of normal people with feelings/emotions.


File 149614876874.jpg - (69.60KB, 595x841, tewi.jpg) [iqdb]
196629 No. 196629 hide watch expand quickreply
PREVIOUS THREAD: >>194077
__________________

“It’s down the hall and to the left. Should be at the end of the corridor.” Tewi gives you a knowing look. “Though, you’re heading elsewhere, aren’t you?”

“What? Who, me?” you say, careful to keep your voice hushed. Don’t want to wake the cute bunny pile. You inch out of all the napping rabbits’ grasps. “Naaaaaw. I’d never. I ain’t one to lie, y’know. I just really need to go. Badly.”

“Then I guess I believe you. Just don’t disappear again, alright?”

“I’ll try.”

Ha. Tewi thinks that you’ll really disappear like that again? Just because you feel like it? Absolutely preposterous. Impossible, even! No way you’d do something like that.

...She knows you too well. But whatever. That won’t stop you from trying. Once you finish your business in the washroom, you head out the nearest window and slip away into the night. Of course, you have no idea where the heck you are and it’s really dark and now you’re suddenly lost, but no big deal. You’ll find your way. You always do, even if it takes a while.

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
165 posts and 13images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198940
I like how Tewi of all people is now the moral compass of the story.
>> No. 198941
[X] You never said anything about spellcards.

Back in the good ol day we didn't have no fancy spell cards. No sir! We had to uphill both ways to get anywhere.
>> No. 198942
[X] You’ll just make some up on the spot.


File 151508337290.jpg - (81.18KB, 850x601, Sleepy Banki.jpg) [iqdb]
198503 No. 198503 hide watch expand quickreply
You wake up once again to the same somewhat-bright shapelessness in a soft bed. Birds chirp from out the window and you can hear the faint sound of village chatter in the distance, as well as smell the tea that Keine is having for the morning.

You sit up, letting the sheets fall away and groping around the table you know to be beside the bed for your folded shirt. Your fingers brush against the familiar fabric and you pull it towards you, not expecting the weight that you didn’t know was on it give way and topple to the floor.

“FUCK!”

You wince, more because the curse was shouted so loudly than the impact sounded incredibly painful, and tentatively reach down, hoping that what you feared would happen would not happen.

Alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

‘CHOMP’

“Jesus!” You withdraw your hand, cradling your now-sore finger as Seki “hmph!”s and floats her way out with a creak of the door.

Putting on your shirt, you can’t help but sigh.
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
65 posts and 3images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198923
And it appears we have a tie.

...

...okay, I think I can work with this.
>> No. 198924
[x] Blood. That’s somewhat concerning.
tie break?
>> No. 198925
>>198924
That works too.


File 149775631892.jpg - (396.64KB, 1297x4460, gja7X.jpg) [iqdb]
197130 No. 197130 hide watch expand quickreply
Once more, you find the intercom and insert the key. The wave of exhaustion hits you as soon as the static, but you find that you’re able to fight against it this time.

“What do you want of me?” You ask the white noise.

“Don’t let her struggle be in vain.” You don’t hear the words so much as you feel them. “She deserves that much, wouldn’t you agree, dear?”

An image appears in your mind - of a woman with long, ink-black hair in red and white shaman attire, standing tall with her back to you.

“You’re talking about the Hakurei? Well, what would that entail?” You ask, muffling a yawn.

If it was possible for a butterfly to shrug, you swear it would have. More figures appear before your mind, this time blurry and indistinct - flashes of a woman in red and a man in blue, both with silver hair - but the vision slides across your consciousness like suds on glass before you can see it clearly.

“I’m going to need more than that.” You say, earning an annoyed flick of antennae.

This time, you see them with plumes of light rising from their backs, reaching for the sky.
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
101 posts and 8images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198880
[X] Information of Hecatia
[X] Information on Yukari
>> No. 198885
Komachi was trying to tell us something about Kasen, way beyond the Oni thing and it went over our head. It makes her "bad disguise" as a cover for something else much more believable.

Is she someone's eyes and ears? Or is she someone, herself?
>> No. 198904
[x] Information on Hecatia

Biggest bait and I can't not choose it.

[x] Other
[x] Yuuka and Shinki's Feud

I want some insight on the powers working against each other and why, if they're bound by a common pact.


File 151207363237.png - (340.44KB, 832x196, china-grove.png) [iqdb]
198302 No. 198302 hide watch expand quickreply
// Formerly known as GreaterYakani.

A curtain lifts.

---- CHINA GROVE ----
---- Select Arc ----

[_] Kannapolis Arc
[_] China Grove Arc
[X] Concord Arc (locked)
[X] Charlotte Arc (locked)
[X] ?????? (locked)

// Votes will close 48 hours after the time of this post.
// (Selection Type: Linear Selection)
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
70 posts and 12images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198760
[x] Discuss the 'lack of color'.

Not really my thing, but have a vote anyway wink wink
>> No. 198860
<ROB>

...Out of the corner of your eye, you see an object in the sky. It is a strange portal-shaped object, with sparks flying, and bright yellow lines go throughout it, as if it was lightning, or something else electrical...

[No vote]

You keep running nonetheless, until you hear the voice of the maid. "So... we meet again, for the final time." You look the other way to see who she was talking to, and you see a figure that looked much like the portal, with the bright yellow lines and the sparks facing her. The figure also had what looked, from behind, to be five bronze disks that formed a half-circle around her, each connected with the same lines. "Perhaps it is yours, too." "Alright, enough dilly-dallying. You're gonna be dead any minute now." The maid retorted. After this, you could hear the sound of many, many blades being thrown and, by the sounds of it, just as much crackling.

Thinking that this was the chance to get Mima back, you run back to where you left her, but she's just... gone. There is no sight of her at all, except for one thing laying on the ground: a thin rod with a depiction of a crescent moon on its end, all painted a drably gray. You don't recall Mima keeping this with her for the time that you've seen her, leaving you asking how this got here. Confused, you pick up the rod and head back outside of the house that you were in, carrying it like a walking stick. Even at this distance, you can see the battle between the maid and electric-girl. You're not sure who's winning at the current moment, as it continues to look more and more like a standstill. You're too weak to intervene, and you'd probably just get shredded by blades and electrocuted into nothing but ashes if you tried.

So all that you're left with doing is just waiting, watching the battle as you do so. As the battle goes on, the battle seems to become more and more of a blur, until you're unable to keep up. You were never that good at seeing even moderately moving things, which didn't help either. Then, seemingly all at once, you hear the sound of glass breaking all around you. L
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 198902
[X] The village.

Not the most helpful place, but the most obvious for our character


File 150275685760.png - (553.81KB, 1000x607, bR4nDn3WD4y.png) [iqdb]
197664 No. 197664 hide watch expand quickreply

“Um, sure...” the fluffy-fluffy-fluffy fluff-head girl says with that look you get sometimes when you say too much like you think you probably did just then.

You get that look all the time these days, it seems.

All the time.

All those eyes, just looking.

Watching.

Judging.

“Ah! I mean, yes! Yes, I would very much appreciate it if you would help me, sir!” the girl says, with more cheer and enthusiasm than before.

Probably trying to hide how uncomfortable you're making her you think, possibly.
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
45 posts and 8images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198894
[X] Say It Ain't So

Flandre! You're not crazy! You are who you choose to be! Now choose!
>> No. 198897
Now sorry for (kinda) off-topic question, but:

I've just found this, and I have a question: in which order do I have to read this? I am confused...
>> No. 198900
>>198897
I have been reading this writer since 'DON'T READ THIS' and let me tell you something:
when you do find that order of yours... let me know.


File 141794093071.jpg - (219.30KB, 660x502, farmersfarming.jpg) [iqdb]
183417 No. 183417 hide watch expand quickreply
[x] What's all this about a 'were-hakutaku' anyway?
[x] She seemed kind of cranky when I talked to her. Is that normal for her?
[X] This "outside world trinket" shop seems interesting. Maybe they could give me some more precise directions.

"Oh, are you guys talking about her being a, er… were-hakutaku?"

One of the guys, just out of his teens with patchy facial hair, let out a laugh. "Yeah. Don't ask me how it works; I doubt even the Hiedas know. The gist of it is: get bit by something and change into it on the full moon. This something happened to be a hakutaku.” He waved over to someone a few years older than him. “Masa, you know more than me. What was that thing again?"

"I've heard that a hakutaku is a beast that appears to give advice to kings once they've proven they’re all virtuous and sagely,” his friend answered. “It can name each and every type of youkai in the world, how to exterminate the evil ones, how to cozy up to the good ones, all that good stuff." He drew lazy circles with his hand. "So, kinda like the youkai equivalent of the Hiedas, heh."

"The Hiedas, huh?" I scratched my head. The name was sort of familiar, but all I had to go on was what Kasen told me, which was very little.

A grin spread on one of the older women's faces. "That's right, it was that Yasumi girl who wrote that book for outsiders, wasn’t it?"

The whole bath shared a chuckle. Oh, right, there was that rivalry over ‘plagiarism’ or something.
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
201 posts and 23images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198890
>July 2015

It's dead, Jim.
>> No. 198892
>>198887
Just read an alternate story you... YOU... DOUBLE FUKU!

In all seriousness, I miss it, too, but all there is to do is wait.
>> No. 198896
At least he's still working on Tycoon.


File 147961976419.jpg - (672.39KB, 4160x3120, alice sez.jpg) [iqdb]
192630 No. 192630 hide watch expand quickreply
Here's a rather short story whose magical evening is only a few choices long. Putting brevity aside, it'll hopefully still be fun. Follow your hearts and all will be well.

-

She’s late.

It’s a thought that’s annoyingly hard to dismiss. Logic threatens to reach some sort of conclusion from that fact. Specifically, it’s the sort conclusion that makes you weak in the knees. So you keep telling yourself that she’s just being fashionably late.

At least it’s somewhat comforting to know that you’re not the only one made to wait. A few individuals and small groups loiter in the reception area, making small talk and stealing the occasional furtive glance towards the door. This fellowship is usually short-lived, however, as most of those waiting are only there for a few minutes. Some run out of patience and ask to be seated, ushered beyond the separating curtain, leaving their companions to sheepishly ask after them at the reception when they arrive. Others choose to wait right there and greet their friends as they come in, going in as one happy group.

Though there’s still a few people waiting that arrived at around the same time as you, none have been there quite as long as you have. After checking in on your reservation, you had stood to one side of the room. That was about a half hour ago by your reckoning. A few minutes ago, you got an annoyingly sympathetic look from the one of the wait staff. Her eyes said everything that you had been working so hard to avoid thinking about. She saw someone well-dressed, with a reservation for two, waiting for his date and reached the natural conclusion…

But how could she know you were on a date? Well, it was the most popular restaurant in the village. During the day farmers and merchants showed up for hearty lunches but the atmosphere was completely different at night. With soft, live music and candlelight, it was a natural draw for couples and closely-knit groups of friends. The somewhat private location of the restaurant on the western edge of the central park was conducive for intimate strolls under the moonlight after meals. So, therefo
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
130 posts and 12images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 198833
>>198832
Exquisite bait. Well done.

However, I won't be nearly as subtle. Teru-kun, you're a massive faggot. If people don't vote, update regardless. Nobody is going to adjust for your update rate of twice per month and votes usually come in fast enough that you can just get it over with in a matter of a day or two. Maybe sometimes half a week, though that's pushing it. So cease your homosexuality and drop the attitude you've been having for so damn long and write more frequently.
>> No. 198834
>>198832
The whole reason I stop writing stories isn't that I get bored with them, it's that there's no interest in them any longer. It gets too frustrating to wait for the non-response every update and I stop doing it because even my masochism has limits. There is nothing else that stops me from writing whatever. Since I generally have liked the concepts of all my stories, there's nothing I wouldn't pick up again if the demand existed. Demand doesn't exist, so here we are! I've never been a popular author and there's not many people who would care about those stories to begin with. Even ignoring that reality, good luck finding a bunch of people who would read and vote daily in the current community. You're up shit creek without a paddle there.

>>198833
Listen, I could go make a polite and reasoned argument like I usually try but I'm not in the mood because we've been here before. Instead, here are your two options: vote or fuck off.

It'll soon be ten years that I've been doing this shit on this site. When people vote and are active I've written hundreds of thousands of words (if not millions), done daily updates and finished several stories. When people don't, I don't write. That simple. I'm not going to go away because I'm part of this community, like it or not, but I will focus my efforts only on the stories that do get attention. If you can't be bothered to do the bare minimum and vote: fuck right off!

You know what you get with me and I promise continuity and stability so long as you do the most basic thing and just vote regularly. I've found the people that bitch the most about this simple concept are the people who least regularly vote in or read stories. So either prove me wrong and do your bit or—you guessed it—fuck off somewhere else since I don't give a shit about the mewling of those who
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 198840
I'd love to see you writing, under a fake name a story of a genre you're not used to, with characters you don't know that well. And all of that accepting copy pasted votes

You'd probably go mad in a week, but maybe you could find that elusive success that way.


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
Previous [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]


[Switch to Mobile Page]