[Return]
Archived Thread
 No. 191386
File 14724535109.png - (2.56MB, 900x1440, when will you tell her who your favorite is.png) [iqdb]
191386
[x] Hina and then Merlin

[x] Software Engineer

~p+p~

First, you need to go and fetch the misfortune goddess. It’s only been an hour, maybe two, but it feels like it has been forever. Perhaps she might be able to calm down any crazy situations that might arise. With the decision in mind, you stroll up the staircase, keeping a watchful eye on every inch. Who knows whether a stray box or a loose sock may be looming, ready to send you spilling back down the staircase.

Your passage up to the top of your home does not take long at all, thankfully, and soon you are in front of the door to her temporary home. After a momentary hesitation, you reach up and knock at the door with a sharp rap. After a pause, the door handle turns and the door swings open.

Hina is currently kneeling on the ground, facing away from the door. You see one of her ribbons whip to the side and back around her arm as you enter in. She does not look up to acknowledge you, choosing instead to continue her study of the floor beneath her. “Hey there, Hina. What are you doing?” She does not respond immediately, and you can’t help but to clear your throat shortly. “If you’re busy, I can leave you be to it.”

“It isn’t so much. I’m just trying to ensure that I’ve gathered as much misfortune as I can.” The goddess turns her head, inclining it slightly and not meeting your eyes. She seems to be instead inspecting your feet. “I may have been a little over enthusiastic with my earlier actions… Your house may be a little overly full of it as a result.”

“Well, I did want you to take care of it. It may have been a bit much, but in the end, it worked. ...I think. Don’t think she’s caused any more trouble directly since then.”

“That is good.” Hina purses her lips and looks up. “Seems that you have a larger coating than before. ...Amateurish of myself to let this slip.” She reaches up with her hand, and the faintist of shimmers slips off your body; you barely even feel the motion as it tugs away. “I am truly sorry; I hope th I didn’t cause too much trouble with my lackadaisical treatment.”

“Really, it wasn’t too big of a deal.” Not like you’d blame anything that happened (much less your episode) on her. “Although, at this point, I fear that I may be creating a bit of a monster.”

Hina finally looks up as she quirks her brow. “Truly? That would be… Impressive. I have a feeling you’re not referring to Merlin.”

“Nope. Myon just enjoys cooking a little bit too much.” You shrug a bit and look back down. “I mean, I worked in food service while I was still attending school, and I ended up cooking a fair bit, but she takes it to another level.”

“Hrm…” Hina tilts her head for a second before nodding. “I cannot really comment on if that is accurate or not. I’ve not had the chance to come across her during my time in Gensokyo, as it is.” She tilts her head to the side as she smoothly rises to her feet. “That must have been a long time ago if you were still doing that.”

“Doing what?”

“Attending school?” She tilts her head to the side as a smile does manage to flick over her face. “That would have been quite some time since you last did as such; I’m surprised the memories carried over that long.”

“No it wasn’t that long…” You blink and frown a little. “...Wait. You’ve been in this world for a while. You would know that people go to school for longer than a few years.”

The goddess blushes just a little bit. “I had heard of such a thing; many do seem to imply that their formal tutelage occurs for far longer in the outside. I still am not aware to the precise reasons.”

“Perhaps I’ll tell you sometime.” With her finally on her feet, you step back so as to let her pass. “I came to ask if you want to help eat and judge all of this. Myon is cooking up a storm and a lot of the food will go to waste if we don’t go ahead and eat it now.”

“I can go ahead and join you all, yes.” Hina steps past the threshold, brushing against you before you can back away. “Do I need to say anything else to the poltergeist? I can if it is necessary.”

“It won’t be.” You ignore the burning in your ears as she does pass by. “I’m going to ask her as well. She probably won’t cause too much trouble for the rest of the night, especially after all you did to her.”

Hina nods her head slightly. “Good. I don’t want her causing you trouble. ...After all, I am better able to control her than you would be able to.” She slides down the hallway. “Shall I get her?”

“Go on ahead. I’ll do it myself.” You’d rather at least pretend that you’re master of your own abode. That, and you’re not even sure how well the poltergeist will react to Hina. You can take care of that yourself. ...Once you give Hina a head start so that she won’t lag at all when you head on down. Don’t want her to be standing in the corner looming, after all.

So, after thirty seconds or so, you head on downstairs, finding the rather annoyed poltergeist still sitting and trying to take apart that horn of hers still. She seems to be yanking on the slides, attempting to separate them, but is having no success in the process. Unfortunately, her back is turned to you, so you can’t see what mood she’s in.

Even so, she notices when your feet stop moving and pause on the floor. “Oh, you’re back? Sorry, the show is cancelled, but I’m sure that you knew that.”

“I figured it would take more than that to fix it.” You pause and resist the urge to pinch your nose. “Really, all I came to do was ask if you wanted to join us to help finish off food. Myon is still cooking, as I’m sure you can tell, and wants people to help try it out.”

Merlin tilts her head to the side and cocks an eyebrow. The bland smile is still on her face. “Was she asking for me to join?”

“Not in particular; I just thought I’d ask. I don’t want to waste any food that might be made.” Granted, with how many leftovers there will be, you likely won’t have to cook for quite a while, but that’s nothing you’re going to be concerned about right now. “That, and she would like second opinions.”

“Eh, she’s got you. Why does she need an annoyance like me?” Merlin flips her hair. “Sides, I’m sure you don’t want me hanging around. Besides, you didn’t want to hear me, did you?”

“I didn’t want you playing on that horn in here. ...Or causing trouble.”

“Then good. I’ll just stay here and work on it.” She turns back around and grabs onto the front slide of the horn and gives it another yank. It barely budges.

Come to think of it… “You know, Myon said her taste was not exactly her best sense. Would yours be just as disadvantaged?”

“Well, that would be charitable. At least part of her is alive.” Merlin turns back and gives that wan smile once more. “I mean, she just asked how it tasted, not if I could taste it.”

“...It didn’t cross your mind to mention that, perhaps, you couldn’t taste it?”

“Well, that would be lying, wouldn’t it?” The grin widens a bit before it vanishes for a split second. “But don’t mind me; I’m sure you’d rather spend some time with your favorite, anyway. Now shoo before I cause you trouble.”

After a moment, you just grumble and turn around. “If you want to be that way, then there is nothing I can do about it.” You shrug your shoulders and walk on back, grumbling a bit. “Inane…”

“Don’t frown too much! Your face will get stuck like that!” You ignore Merlin’s parting call and head into the kitchen where, thankfully, Hina seems to be sitting back and observing as Myon continues her work. The goddess twiddles her foot as she watches Myon’s dither and idly stir the mix, anxious to pour it once the crust has finished cooking enough.

Knowing that you need to be ready to give instructions for when the next step starts, you take your spot beside Myon. “Relax, alright? It isn’t going to be that difficult.”

“But I wish to execute this flawlessly on my first attempt; If I am not at the ready, then I may be off and cause further dissatisfaction.”

You shake your head and ignore Hina, whom is covering her mouth and shaking ever so slightly. “Well, if you’re too tense, it may go even more poorly. Just do as I say and it’ll be fine, alright?” Myon eventually nods, and you start to go over all the ingredients she has stirred into the concoction that is to be poured into the crust.

Within the hour, the finished quiche is already half devoured and you are attempting to instruct her on the recipe of a particular beef soup that you are fond of. By the end of the night, the three of you have barely managed to plow past the huge portions that Myon constantly insists on making. Your injuries have turned out to be minimal, thankfully; four or five grease splatters that stung your arms (good thing you put on sleeves after the second), one fall as you took out the finished quiche (good thing Myon is so fast otherwise it’d be all over your face) and your glass broke when you dropped it in on the table (you are sure that it hadn’t sweated that much since you poured it). All in all, it was a relatively, positively uneventful dinner… with a half-ghost and a goddess. It could have gone much worse.

~p+p~

Unfortunately, your morning hasn’t begun quite as well as the previous night has gone. Having left home during your normal hours (you’re not going to let yourself fall out of that habit; it’ll be hard enough getting back in it), you take the short trip to work without much more hassle than usual. You left the girls at home, hoping that you actually would be able to stay at work this week. You’ve a project that you’ve been working for this past while (as unglamorous as designing the active control software for a new assembly line at a local manufacturing plant. It would be easy if the engineers in charge of the physical design would make up their mind and stop making you have to change the timings on everything. It’s bad enough have to do the Laplace transformations the first time, much less redesigning the whole system and recalculating it!

Still, when you get to the office, you find that both the secretary, your supervisor, and your boss are all very tight-lipped over what duties that you are to be allowed to do. At least you are allowed to head to your desk to collect a few papers and your solid state drive from the front of the computer before they politely remind that they’ve received strict instructions from up in the government that you are not to be allowed to work here at all.

Thankfully, during the midst of your tirade you share with your boss (who, to your vindication, also looks rather frustrated with the whole situation), you do manage to confirm that your position at the company is being retained, though the project has been, sadly, reassigned. You’re not going to lose any vacation days off; from the sound of it, you are going on what is an extended leave of absence… which you thankfully get confirmed in writing before you even walk out.

As you do head on out, you finally get your supervisor to relent and decide to keep you updated on the project. You still can access the company servers remotely, and you have the drive with the largest of files, so you can keep up with the worst of it. So long as they stick to an easily compressed file format instead of going with the entire three dimensional rendering of the entire facility (some people just can’t read blueprints, it seems), you’ll be peachy downloading the rest.

Wiping your brow off as you step outside, clutching your sack with drive, papers, and your other work tools littering the remainder of the insides, you look around at the now-bleak morning. The skies are a little bit overcast as you begin to make your way back to the bus stop. You have to wonder: what are you going to do with yourself with all of this time?

Just as your existential crisis begins to set in, your phone rings. It doesn’t take long for you to flip it open and see the unknown name listed, and the all-too-familiar number on the screen. Reluctantly, you decide to answer and get it over with. “Hello there.”

“Hey there; you the outsider human taking care of the three Gensokyans?”

“I suppose that I am. You with Smith?”

“Yeah, I suppose I am.” You hear the voice snort, and you practically hear her roll her eyes. “Listen, I’ve got some papers for you. Do you have a minute? I’d like to get these handed off as soon as possible before she gives me even more to fill out.”

“...You mean she didn’t fill them out?”

“Course not. That’s grunt work, in the end.” After another pause, the girl continues. “So, you free right now? I’ll come and meet you.” That’ll make it easy for you to get stuff done without anything going wrong.

[ ] Just tell her to meet here, you can wait.
[ ] Inform her that you need to go do something; meet somewhere else.
-[ ] List errands and where to meet.
[ ] Tell her that you’ll meet her at your place.
[ ] Which papers were those again?
[ ] ...Who are you talking to, anyway?
[ ] Decline; you’ll come pick up the papers yourself when you want to.
[ ] Write-in.
 No. 191387
(Un)fortunate Tidings >>189136
(Mis)fortunate Tidings >>190073
 No. 191389
[x] Which papers were those again?
 No. 191391
[X] Just tell her to meet here, you can wait.
 No. 191392
[x] ...Who are you talking to, anyway?
[x] Which papers were those again?
[x] Just tell her to meet here, you can wait.
 No. 191393
[X] Tell her to meet you here, you can wait.
-[x] And by here I mean a Cafe or something.
-[x] Sorry, I didn't quite catch your name.

Uh, yeah, we might need to amend a few bridges with our Prismriver. If they aren't already burned down that is
 No. 191394
[x] ...Who are you talking to, anyway?
[x] Which papers were those again?
[X] Tell her to meet you here, you can wait.
-[x] And by here I mean a Cafe or something.

Well, I've just spliced some votes together into a monster. I just hope we don't end up meeting Yukari any time soon: she'd be worse than Smith. inb4 Smith is Yukari in disguise

So you have a plan for the thread 4 title? It looks like you're running out of things to put into those brackets.
 No. 191395
>>191394
I considered using (Dys)fortunate for the longest time, although that sounded worse for me. Granted, could use (Less)fortunate, (Non)fortunate, (Sub)fortunate, or (A)fortunate, and then perhaps (Very)fortunate, (Such)fortunate and (Terribly)fortunate, along with others of the same vein. (Pre)fortunate and (Post)fortunate are choices, as well as (Neo)fortunate. As well as (Über)fortunate. Everything is better with umlauts.

Of course, if you've got suggestions, I'll be glad to hear 'em. I have always wanted to do one of the threads with the slightly altering name, anywho. Too bad that the only prefixes I know of that fortunate uses I used in the first two threads.

And of course, Smith is really Junko in disguise!
 No. 191396
>>191395

Could make reference to other story names when you run dry, too. Like Do the Unfortunate Thing, or Being Unfortunate.
 No. 191397
[x] ...Who are you talking to, anyway?
[x] Which papers were those again?
[X] Tell her to meet you here, you can wait.
-[x] And by here I mean a Cafe or something.

That dialogue makes me thing this is another 2hu Smith is springing on us. Way she talks suggests Mokuo or other more brisque 2hu.
 No. 191398
[x] ...Who are you talking to, anyway?
[x] Which papers were those again?
[X] Tell her to meet you here, you can wait.
-[x] And by here I mean a Cafe or something.

>>191397

I wouldn't be opposed to gaining a Mokou, even if she might be a bit too hot to handle.
 No. 191399
>>191397
>>191398

My, my, my, my... So close, yet no cigar.

Called!
 No. 191401
>>191399
A Kagerou?
 No. 191406
Okyuu? That's as hot as it gets, right?
 No. 191407
>>191402
...Shou?
 No. 191414
File 147269997898.jpg - (172.72KB, 960x385, happy little trees.jpg) [iqdb]
191414
[x] ...Who are you talking to, anyway?
[x] Which papers were those again?
[X] Tell her to meet you here, you can wait.
-[x] And by here I mean a Cafe or something.

~q+q~

“...Just to be sure: who am I talking with? I need to know who to look out for.”

The girl pauses and lets out a sight. “Name’s Mai. You’ll recognize me when you see me, alright?” Before she can respond, she interjects and continues. “Trust me, you’ll recognize me. So, where am I gonna meet you?”

It takes all of your effort to not make the joke. Sadly, that is not enough. “So, not Yule.”

“...Do not start this.” The girl groans on the other name. My name’s Mai, not Yule, not anything else.” You can practically hear her roll her eyes. Again. She has very loud and emotive eyes. “So, where am I going to meet you to drop off these papers? I hope you have a briefcase with you…”

“Wait a second. What papers do you have?”

“Oh, the standard forms.” You hear the sound of papers flipping and she clears her throat. “Simple. Cohabitation forms for magical creatures, notices of the terms that both apparitions must endure, a signoff from the [sic] Princess of Hakugyokurou noting that you are using one half of her maidservant, liability waivers denoting the threshold of injuries that you must sustain before you enter, three separate marriage licenses awaiting your signature…”

You nod along to every single item until the last. “Wait, what. I will not sign—”

“I’m joking, Slick. Tit for tat, after all. Now we’re even.” She cackles a little bit before responding. “Now, where are you going to meet me? And answer the question this time.”

After rolling your eyes, you look around. You do know a place nearby. “...I’m near the town center, actually. Few blocks off. You know the place down near midtown? Cafe Cubit, at the corner of—”

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Sara loves the place. Damn near downs three of the bloody drinks every time we go by. Yeah, sure, I’ll see ya there.” With that, the phone clicks and she hangs up.”

“Well, that’s simple enough.” Sighing, you shake your head and alter your destination. It won’t take a few minutes to get there, anyway. At least the sidewalks aren’t too crowded during the middle of the morning workday. You’re more at threat from getting licked by the passing dogs that are being herded around by overworked dog walkers than anything else. ...The morning air is peaceful, at least. You’d rather be at work, you know, making money and working off your house payments than sitting and babysitting. ...Considering that if you only had Hina, you might be able to keep working…

Bah. It wasn’t even your choice. Who does Smith think she is? And if someone above her supports her. ...Bah. Well, no choice but to put your head down and keep working. Once you’re free, you can take the steps to remove yourself from the situation.

Eventually, having grumpily ignored the happy little trees that manage to peek out around the buildings, you make your way to the corner cafe. Still rather full and occupied by the straggling breakfast crowd, you manage to sneak inside. It always was amusing how obsessed the restaurant was with the number eighteen, and how everything must be based on that number in here. Even the bar stools were octadecagons instead of nice circles, and everything they sold was done in a similar pattern. ...Kinda obtuse and odd (despite its evenness), but you can wave off any quirks if the tea is good enough.

After making your way to the counter and ordering a drink, your eyes wander over to the announcement sheet next to the entrance. The one on top shouts:

DEAD ONI BLUE ONI PRESENT “KAPPA HEARTBREAKER”
BROUGHT TO YOU BY NICE SHIRT - THE EMPORIUM FOR ALL YOUR TATTERED CLOTHING NEEDS


Rolling your eyes at the obviously student-made production, your eyes drift down past to a couple of business flyers.

ISLAND OF HOURAI ROPE EMPORIUM - SWING BY AND HANG OUT!

...That one is a little too spot on.

MAMI’S EXTERMINATION - YOU’LL NEVER BE AFRAID OF ANYTHING ANYMORE

And you’re not quite sure if that is is trying to reference something or merely failing to be witty. Still, further on down, you see the slick poster for another upcoming release. When, exactly, was the last time you went to see something based on a poster instead of an advertisement online?

PSYCHO-PASS 3: THE VACCINE FOR SERENITY

Though, considering the show in question… Perhaps it is suitable. Although, you can see that it is just covering up something. What exactly is under there…

NASA, THE TWO POLTERGEIST SISTERS, PERFORMING LIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE RELEA

...Wait, there are more of them? That just means even more trouble for you in the future. You hold back the groan of the thought of two more Merlins in your house. ...Although, didn’t Myon say something about her having sisters at one point? ...It can be that coincidental, can it?

Your musing are interrupted by the door opening and a bluenette walking into the room. It’s a short girl in a white suit caarrying a briefcase that is noticeably bulging at the seams. You shake your head at the sight, before looking up and spotting that two white, fluffy wings are hanging off the back. If it wasn’t for a petulant frown on her face, she’d look like some sort of… Angel. ...Lawyer angel? ...Who even wears a white suit?

Still, she doesn’t seem to recognize you. You should probably get her attention.

[ ] “Hey Mai, over here.”
[ ] “Are you the Mai I was looking for?”
[ ] “Do you need help with that thing?”
[ ] “Hello there! I was wondering if you would show up.”
[ ] “Are you Mai Sunshine?”
-[ ] “Mai only Sunshine.”
--[ ] “Don’t take Mai Sunshine away.”
---[ ] Equip shovel.
----[ ] Keep digging.
[ ] “Hey, you must have just fallen from heaven, Mai baby, because you’re an Angel.”
[ ] “...I swear I won’t make a bad joke, I swear I won’t make a bad joke. Ok! Deep breath. Over here!”
[ ] Write-in
 No. 191415
[ ] “Are you Mai Sunshine?”
-[ ] “Mai only Sunshine.”
--[ ] “Don’t take Mai Sunshine away.”
---[ ] Equip shovel.
----[ ] Keep digging.
[X] If you're not dead after all that, offer a seat.
 No. 191416
>>191415
Same poster here.

I'd forgotten to have this in my vote:

[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”

Presumably to happen after we finish digging our grave.
 No. 191417
[x] “...I swear I won’t make a bad joke, I swear I won’t make a bad- no just kidding, I am absolutely making a bad joke.
[x] “Hey, you must have just fallen from heaven, Mai baby, because you’re an Angel.”
 No. 191418
[X] “...I swear I won’t make a bad joke, I swear I won’t make - no just kidding, I am absolutely making a bad joke.
[X] “Are you Mai Sunshine?”
-[X] “Mai only Sunshine.”
--[X] “Don’t take Mai Sunshine away.”
---[X] Equip shovel.
----[X] Keep digging.

They're not bad jokes, they're wonderful jokes.
 No. 191419
[X] “Are you the Mai I was looking for?”
[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”

Tidepissing FTW!
Yeah, there's no need to tease her that much. After all, I'm sure she has it rough working under Smith.
 No. 191420
If we all piss at the same time, we will create a second tide that will push the other back!

[X] “Are you the Mai I was looking for?”
[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”

>MAMI’S EXTERMINATION - YOU’LL NEVER BE AFRAID OF ANYTHING ANYMORE

...I'm not even sure what to say to that.

She must have a cattiness rating of 96.
 No. 191429
[X] “Are you the Mai I was looking for?”
[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”
Don't want us to screw over ourselves again
 No. 191431
[x] Do you need help with that?
-[x] Oh Mai, you're more beautiful than I expected.

I can't resist. Come on, only one little pun!

>Two sisters performing alone

Okay, we need to take the third to see them and comment how they seem to be missing something. We must.
 No. 191432
[X] “...I swear I won’t make a bad joke, I swear I won’t make a bad joke. Ok! Deep breath. Over here!”
[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”
 No. 191435
[X] “Are you the Mai I was looking for?”
[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”
 No. 191440
>>191420
>>191429
>>191431
>>191432
>>191435

It's a revolution!
 No. 191442
>>191440

Viva la resistance!
 No. 191443
>>191440
>>191442
Is this becoming Communist Gensokyo?
 No. 191444
>>191414
[~] <george-takei> “Oh, Mai.” </george-takei>
[X] “Do you need help with that thing?”

>>191395
Vita Detestabilis with Magic Girls. (An untranslated reference to O Fortuna, because I'm a pretentious fuck.)

>>191386
> whom is covering
"who is covering".ಠ_ಠ
 No. 191459
File 147287637190.png - (440.47KB, 638x577, you mai have just dodged a bullet.png) [iqdb]
191459
[x] Don’t make a bad joke.
[x] Help her
Thought i’d just summarize the general consensus

~r+r~

“Hey, Mai!” The girl turns her head, thankfully. It would have been awkward if this was a case of mistaken identity. “Over here!” She immediately turns and starts heading in your direction, the large briefcase trailing behind her. “Wait a second; did you want any help with that? That thing looks like it’s a little bit heavy.”

“It isn’t too terrible; I don’t have to take it back with me.” She slings the case onto the counter before straddling the seat, letting out a sight. Her wings flit a bit. “There we go. That should be good. Now I just need to hand this all off and be on my way.”

“...Do you have a lot to do?” Pausing, you tilt your head and look to the side. “Just… Who are you, and what do you do? I imagine you work with Smith.”

Mai twitches a bit more before sighing. “Sure, sure, suppose I should tell you. Smith doesn’t like to be that comprehensive.” She shakes her head. “But yes: I’m Mai. I work with Personnel Containment, unit 98. I’m the team lead for the current unit; Smith is the supervisor for the unit along with several other ones throughout the region.”

“...I didn’t think there was a team of…” How do you put that delicately? Ah well. “Either way, why would you be based out of this town? And what exactly is your job?”

The girl shrugs, her wings flicking again. “Most containment; threats that bother your outsider population. Most of your human security forces are not exactly capable of taking out something that respawns or regenerates or that simply can’t be touched.”

“Tell me about it.” You snort and look at the briefcase for a bit. “At least the one isn’t a problem in that regard.”

Mai quirks her eyebrows. “Is it now? Interesting.” She shakes her head. “Never mind; I do not want to go off on a tangent.” She places her hand on her suitcase. “I, along with other members of our team, are responsible for situations when unauthorized or unverified magical creatures, creations, persons, or other emanations of nonreal energies leave their designated zones. We at PC-98 are responsible for guarding this region in particular. Our secondary function has us maintaining tabs on the licensed nonreal entities that are licensed and permitted to be out in human society.”

“...You know, that’s about the sanest thing I’ve heard this entire time. It sure makes a heck of a lot more sense.” You frown and look down at the briefcase yourself before looking back up. “But why aren’t more employed?”

“Other obligations, lack of character or experience working in a team environment… Some are simply too destructive or troublesome to perform government work.”

Reasonable enough, if annoying for your sake. “...Well, to be fair, only one is troublesome.”

Mai quirks her eyebrow. “Really? Odd.” She shrugs again. “Either way, I’m just letting you know that, beside your other… sundry duties in caretaking for those that are in the homestay program, you are responsible for keeping up with them.” You open your mouth, but she cuts you off. “However, you are not liable if one acts out on their own or if a large accident occurs. Regardless of what Smith says, you are also not responsible for anyone until you sign the papers.” She opens up the lid, and you swear you see the papers bounce open like a spring as a few scatter around. “As it is, your current forms are more of what you currently have, mostly in duplicate. There is also a few notes regarding your recognition that spiritual phantasms do have a chance of leaving behind small elements when passing through and that without removal, one might experience symptoms up to vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, blurry vision, dizziness, and the sudden urge to either sing and/or dance. Sometimes both.”

You blink a few times, staring at the girl. Her eyes never seem to waver. “...Are you joking?”

She smirks a little bit. “Those are the more common ones; I’m sure you find the complete list amusing.” She starts handing out papers. “There is also the form regarding your temporary leave of absence and the notification of your rights in regards to regaining your job. Be mindful that, while you are provided a salary and write-offs for various necessities, it is recommended that you not take advantage of them too much.”

Considering last night’s extracurricular activities… “And if one does?”

Mai snorts and rolls her eyes. “Then I’m coming down to your place and dropping the giant stack of papers in your lap to fill out. That is, ‘less I’m feeling charitable and all. If it gets Smith in trouble, I’m all for it.”

“At least I can agree with you there.” You snort and shake your head, idly reaching for— Huh. Never got your drink. “Well, just give me a second. I need to find the hostess.”

“Just cool your crystals, alright?” She snickers a bit and leans on the table, propping up her head. “We’ve only got a couple dozen more to go through. After all, we have to consider the plans for expansion, as based on the blueprints that are attached on page three of this set of forms, your abode does not really have enough room to host all of your current inhabitants individually.”

This is going a bit too far, isn’t it? You don’t want a work crew coming into your house. You’ve just gotten it where you like it, dang it! “Now just a… Wait, how do you have my blueprints?”

“New house, public records, I am the government, etc. And, besides, these don’t have to be signed; I’m just providing you the forms so that, when Smith asks for it, you can either shove it in her face and say no or decide to go ahead with it. It really just save most of the hassle.” Clearing her throat, the girl stretches, her wings fluttering. “Now, where was—”

“Well, helllllooooo there.” You swing around on your chair, and you see a guy walking up, hair shining with hair gel and wearing way too many popped collars to even be called remotely reasonable. “Looks like someone must have just fallen from heaven, as I spy a divine sight.” He extends a hand. “I’m Mikio. Who might you be, my angel?”

You notice Mai stiffen just a little bit before reaching into her suit and pulling out a pad of paper and a pencil. She flips the first ten pages through, each of which has a rather unintelligible scrawling on it, before scribbling halfway down the eleventh. “Well, first, let me take down your words first. I’ll have to hand my statement off to the judge of the slain so that my deposition can be held up during your sentencing.”

The man just blinks, not having expected that reaction. “Err… What are you talking about, angel doll?”

“...Well, first, this is quite the black mark you’re putting on your record. Openly flirting with an angel in front of someone she’s involved with just in hopes that you can get with her and claim with all of your cohorts that you managed to have intercourse with a magical creature. Which, I also remind you, is strictly against human law and, as an acting agent for Personnel Containment, I would have to arrest you immediately as you are not in possession of the proper papers.”

“...Baby, you’re making this too serious. C’mon, my little angel, I just want to buy you a drink. That’s all. Chat a little, get to know each other.”

Mai twitches again, and you start to nudge away just a little from the girl. “So, I’ll make it clear. You’re a dipshit for using the same thrice-damned line that I’ve already heard three Shinki-damned times this morning. It’s cheap, it’s dull, you’re not witty, and, frankly, that hair is gonna catch fire so frickin’ fast when you go down and burn when I pass along the rest of this.” She snaps a bit, and those wings spread even further. As small as they are, they look quite intimidating on the icy-haired girl. “So get going, and maybe I’ll be nice enough to recommend reincarnation instead of that!” She grins widely, and the man pales a little bit at the sight. “Perhaps a gnat would be appropriate?”

“I… I’m gone!” The man finally turns around and runs off. Do you smell something unpleasant as he runs off? A moment later, you do, and you immediately pinch your nose while trying to ward off the terrible smell.

Beside you, Mai slumps a bit and groans, lowering her head on the table and shaking it frustration. “Idiot. Seriously, even if I didn’t before I came into this world, does he think I’ve never heard such a thing?” She continues to grumble and knock her head onto the countertop in frustration. “Dipshit. I mean, Slick, is it really that hard to fathom?”

Before you respond, you look around, noticing that most of the people here are now staring at you two. Thankfully, it’s mostly in curiosity and not in abject fear. ...Mostly. “What do you mean?”

“Making cracks like that. It can’t be that hard to use your brain.” She snorts and finally picks her head up. “Guess that’s why you’re not already crazy with the Gensokyans. You can keep your head on straight.”

“...To be fair, I almost made a wisecrack. Or three.” You reach up and rub the back of your head, embarrassed. “It is relatively easy to do so.”

“Eh.” She shrugs a bit. “Got me there. Still makes you a hell of a lot better than most of these idiots that I have to deal with.” Mai looks off before turning away from the inquisitive glances. “Still, sorry about making you a part of it. Figured that he might get scared off if he thought you were involved with me.”

“I really didn’t notice. I was just trying to nudge out of the way of the explosion.”

Mai does grin a little bit. “Good option; you might have gotten caught up in the crossfire. Wouldn’t have wanted to intercept my spittle.”

Definitely not.” Even so, you shrug. “Still, if that’s all, it’s no problem. He didn’t seem like the type to care about it, considering he walked straight up to you while you were in the middle of business, as it were.”

“Worth a shot, at least. Just didn’t work.” The girl who you will not be calling an angel anytime soon grumbles again, looking down at the tabletop while lost in thought.

[ ] So, what are you, if I may ask?
[ ] ...Just out of curiosity, are you some kind of angel? I do have a goddess wearing my sister’s clothes in my house.
[ ] Where are you from, exactly?
[ ] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[ ] Why do you keep calling the three girls Gensokyans, specifically?
[ ] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.
[ ] Who are the others you work with in PC-98?
[ ] So… Those papers?
[ ] Need anything while we’re here?
[ ] Would you like anything?
[ ] Write-in.
 No. 191460
File 147288220291.jpg - (454.92KB, 1000x1000, Mai.jpg) [iqdb]
191460
[x] ...To be fair, I may be not impressed by beautiful angels because I do have a goddess wearing my sister’s clothes in my house.
[x] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[x] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.

The most intelligent option: he deduced by her calling them 'Gensokyans' that she is not.
And I'm curious about her motives for working with someone she hates.
 No. 191463
[x] ...Just out of curiosity, are you some kind of angel? I do have a goddess in my house.
[x] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[x] Why do you keep calling the three girls Gensokyans, specifically?
[x] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.

Oh we'd have been fine with our jokes you bunch of babies. We wouldn't have actually been flirting with her after all, so we'd have gotten at most half of the spittle and rage that that guy got!

Anyways, infodump time apparently. We can finally get some finer details about what's going on from someone who isn't Smith.
 No. 191464
[X] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[X] Why do you keep calling the three girls Gensokyans, specifically?

This interests me. Also, good job on the PC-98 thing. That made me laugh.

And if we can manage to not make this sound racist, I'm up for this as well:
[X] So, what are you, if I may ask?
 No. 191465
[X] ...Just out of curiosity, are you some kind of angel?
[X] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[X] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith
[X] Need anything while we’re here?

Clever.
 No. 191466
[x] ...Just out of curiosity, are you some kind of angel? I do have a goddess in my house.
[x] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[x] Why do you keep calling the three girls Gensokyans, specifically?
[x] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.

You seem to have a bunch of misspellings and some missing words in your sentences here. Any reason for that? Typed this up on a phone?
 No. 191468
[X] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[X] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.
[X] So… Those papers?
[X] Need anything while we’re here?
 No. 191469
[ ] So, what are you, if I may ask?
[ ] Why do you keep calling the three girls Gensokyans, specifically?
[ ] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.
[ ] Who are the others you work with in PC-98?
[ ] So… Those papers?
 No. 191470
[X] Would you like anything?
-[X] Who are the others you work with in PC-98?
--[X] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.
 No. 191471
>>191459
[x] ...To be fair, I may be not impressed by beautiful angels because I do have a goddess wearing my sister’s clothes in my house.
[X] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[X] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith
[X] So… Those papers?
[X] Need anything while we’re here?

The goddess in sister's clothing option is too good not to pick. This PC-98 thing is real clever, good job.
 No. 191473
>>191464
>>191465
>>191471

Thanks. I probably dithered over that more than anything in the update. Considering the source material, being on the nose is probably the best option.

>>191466
No, I didn't. I did type most of it in one sitting so I probably just rushed it and the beta missed it as well. I'll definitely take greater care next update.

Anywho, called. Update sometime today. I thought about yesterday but was much too distracted by other stuff. Curse you Clemson!
 No. 191476
>>191473
So, update 3 days ago?
 No. 191482
>>191476
Distracted by Perfidious Albion among other things. My fault; it's half done.
 No. 191483
File 147349460574.jpg - (390.41KB, 424x600, at this rate who wont have a problem.jpg) [iqdb]
191483
[x] What made you join up for this, anyway? You don’t like Smith.
[x] You don’t sound like you’re from the same place as the others.
[x] Why do you keep calling the three girls Gensokyans, specifically?
[x] ...Just out of curiosity, are you some kind of angel? I do have a goddess wearing my sister’s clothes in my house.
[x] Need anything while we’re here?

~s+s~

Well, you definitely don’t want to dip your toe into personal waters right now; the rate things are going, you’d be likely to have them bitten off. Might as well try to redirect it back to something professional. “So, mind if I ask something?”

Mai grunts a bit before looking back up. “Sure, go ahead and shoot, I suppose.”

“Well, I was wondering… What made you join up in this operation, anyway?” You wave your hand towards the briefcase, and she arcs her eyebrow. “You don’t like Smith. Why do you ever bother joining up with her?”

The other eyebrow joins its fellow. As she considers the question at hand, wings flitting subconsciously, her lips curls up. “I didn’t particularly ask to be placed under her. It was more an opportunity to escape Makai than anything else. At least do something here that is useful.” A second later, she snorts. “For once, at least.”
“Considering that you act more competent, or maybe just more confident, than the others who work with her…” You shrug a little. “Well, that seems to be just be odd. I guess Myon has her orders and all, but that’s all she focuses on. It’s a little bit more initiative than I would have expected.”

“Perhaps. But, then again, most of the Gensokyans tend to be idle gadabouts. There aren’t many that are proactive about improving themselves.”

That gives you a little bit of pause. “Well, I wouldn’t say that it’s only that. Merlin definitely seems it, but the other two don’t lay around and do nothing.”

“You’ve known them… how many days?” The girl chuckles and shakes her head. “Remember that none of us are as young as we seem. But, in the end, my opinion doesn’t matter here or there. I just wanted to leave Makai while I had the chance.”

Again with that name. She’s definitely trying to separate herself from everyone else. “I guess that means that you’re not exactly from the same location as the rest of the girls I’ve met?”

“Correct. It’s just a pocket dimension of sorts. It’s… kind of similar to that half-ghost’s home, in that it’s not technically on the same plane. It sure is a heck of a lot harder to get out of Makai than it is anywhere else, though, especially after the last time.” She sighs and shakes her head. “Lucky after that time…”

“...Is it something that I want to even ask about? ...Or should?”

“It’s a long story, Slick. So don’t get up on that hobby horse. Let’s just say that there is a shrine maiden who has all the competence, talent, and laziness of Smith that blasted her way into the center of Makai along with her merry band of vandals…” She grunts and shakes her head. “We’re lucky that no one died that time. ....Not that I did much good in helping them out, but it is what it is. It’s pure karma that I get assigned to someone who is just so much like her. Not like I have anything good in that regard, considering...”

After a few seconds of waiting, she trails off, not continuing. “You know, if people were killed, I think that’d make them something a bit worse than vandals.”

“I didn’t call her one, now did I?” Mai scoffs and looks away from you. “Really, though, I can’t let my personal grievances get in the way of business. That’s all in the past, I can’t change what happened, and she won’t be coming out here.”

The silence drags on for a little bit, and you can’t help but to eventually turn your own head away in an attempt to give her some space. “Sorry for prying that much. It was a bit too far.”

It takes a while still for her to reply. “Eh. It’s fine, I suppose. Too used to dealing with hosts who think they’ve seen it all with some fairy or whatnot fawning over my wings. You’re an odd one, honestly.”

“Considering I had Hina thrust upon me…”

“You might want to reconsider the choice of your words, Slick.”

“What do you—” The moment your mind finally catches up and trips into the gutter, you snap your head around and look at her. “What was that for?”

“The mood was getting a little bit too heavy for my tastes. Drag it down into that ditch any further, and I’m leaving before you decide to start reciting poetry.”

“What in the world are you talking about?”

“Let’s just say that my previous partner had a predilection for over-reacting to everything and leave it at that?” She rolls her eyes and turns back to face you, now looking impish. “Although, I’m glad to hear that you’re not thrusting yourself upon her; if that was the case, I would have to be taking you into custody.” You open your mouth, but Mai holds up her hand. “And I don’t need handcuffs either.”

“I wasn’t going to ask that…” Still, the totally-not-an-angel continues to look smug. “Why does everyone keep on assuming that we’d go straight in the sack?”

“Precedent?” Mai shrugs and simply continues. “You wouldn’t exactly have been the first that we’ve had to bring in. Thankfully nothing that wasn’t mutual, yet, but some youkai can be rather insistent.” After taking a moment to snicker quietly, she explains. “Now, with a goddess? Yeah, you’re definitely at a higher risk. ...For the most part. Be glad she fills that dress the way she does. Some other curse gods that you could be hosting are slender, but have scales and teeth to match their reptilian body.”

“Very funny.” Although, you could easily see Smith shoving a giant snake out the back of her van and driving off before you could shout at her. “...I hope you wouldn’t do that.”

“Of course not. There is a line that has to be drawn. And your current guest isn’t the type that could accidentally go and bite someone.”

You can’t help but to roll your eyes. “At least someone has sense. ...But, honestly, I don’t mind her. She’s not been overbearing, and has been apologetic for any trouble she might have caused.” You snort and shake your head. “Even when she had to borrow my sister’s clothes when hers went bad, she didn’t complain.”

Mai hums quietly and nods. “...Impressive. Role-playing already?” The impish smirk returns! “A little bit kinky, Slick. Maybe I should send someone out to inspect, just to be sure.”

“Just shut up.” Grumbling, you look back at her wings for a second. “Speaking of things… If I may ask, are you an angel? Considering who I have in my house right now, I wouldn’t doubt it.”

Before you can finish, she’s snorting. “I’m from Makai.” After a moment’s pause and a blank look from you, she sighs. “Everything in Makai is a demon of some sort. I definitely am not an angel.”

“...Huh. You definitely fit the look.”

“If you insist. Although, to be frank, it’s more that I was born this way.” She rolls her eyes. “My father was the one that tried to pass himself off as one. ...Not that it did him any good when it came down to it…” She trails off again before shaking her head. “Don’t worry about it Slick. I can already see you starting to.”

Taking the hint, you turn your head aside. “To be fair, you do keep dragging it up.”

“Eh. You’ve got me reminiscing.” Mai shrugs and sits there a bit longer. “Guess that guy annoyed me a little bit too much. And since there’s too much paperwork, I couldn’t use anything more satisfying than a tongue-lashing. My apologies for taking up your time with my rambling.”

“It’s not a problem. I’m not exactly on the clock anymore, thanks to things.” You look to the side, checking the time. You haven’t been here too long, so the cafe hasn’t started to fill up with the lunchtime crowd. “Need anything right now? Wouldn’t be a problem since I’ve kept you so long.”

“Nah, I’m fine.” She shrugs again, and her wings flit. “This isn’t my kind of place, anyway. And I’m not bringing anything back for Sara because dear Shinki that girl does not need her daily gallon of coffee.” Mai snorts and pointedly looks back at the briefcase. “So, onto the originally subject…”

“Yup. Was there anything else that needed saying?”

“Not in particular. Do you have any questions regarding your responsibilities, the papers, or your guests?”

[ ] Keep it on topic.
-[ ] What do you need to know?
[ ] Ask more about the girls.
-[ ] Who and what?
[ ] Inquire into Gensokyo/Makai,etc.
-[ ] Specifically, what.
[ ] Inquire into her.
-[ ] Past, abilities, three sizes.
[ ] General Write-in
 No. 191484
[X] Keep it on topic.
-[X] What do you need to know?

Ehhh, we've just had a massive infodump, I think we're fine for the moment.
 No. 191485
[x] Keep it on topic.
-[x] Ask about any other guests we should be expecting on our doorstep.
-[x] Other last minute advice.

I'll start with this and change my vote if someone puts something better out there. I do agree about wrapping up the infodump though, so let's try and keep this brief.
 No. 191486
[x] Keep it on topic.
-[x] Ask about any other guests we should be expecting on our doorstep.
-[x] Other last minute advice.
 No. 191488
[x] Keep it on topic.
-[x] Ask about any other guests we should be expecting on our doorstep.
-[x] Other last minute advice.

These tidbits of information will prove usefull I bet. If we want to survive, that is.
 No. 191491
[x] Ask more about the girls

Angelic gossip is good gossip
 No. 191499
[x] Keep it on topic.
-[x] Ask about any other guests we should be expecting on our doorstep.
[x] Ask more about the girls
-[x] Merlin and Hina
 No. 191502
[x] Keep it on topic.
-[x] Ask about any other guests we should be expecting on our doorstep.
[x] Ask more about the girls
-[x] Merlin and Hina
 No. 191583
Sorry for the wait, guys. It's all Mai fault. Gonna work on an update tonight!
 No. 191592
File 147465765961.png - (239.82KB, 727x468, there is always a reason for clothing damage.png) [iqdb]
191592
[x] Keep it on topic.
-[x] Ask about any other guests we should be expecting on our doorstep.
-[x] Other last minute advice.
-[x] Ask more about the girls.

~t+t~

“Just a few questions, really.” You start counting off of your fingers, closing your index finger as you do. “Mainly, I want to ask if there are any other… guests that I should expect to appear on my doorstep. That even applies if it is a long shot.”

“Heh. Frankly, that’s not that terrible a question.” Mai pats the briefcase and meets your eyes, looking quite a bit steadier after earlier conversation. “Especially considering your case.” She snickers a little softly before looking off into space, tapping her lip. “Frankly, there aren’t any others in this city that are particularly enough of a troublemaker to warrant demotion to homestay, and the others that are already in the homestay program are in happy enough homes. The misfortune goddess was a special case, considering her past troubles.”

For a moment, you’re distracted as a chill wind blows through the door and past your ears, but you are soon back on task. “Are any of those other magical beings located near me, whether they are in the program or on their own? Those two just happened to be passing by, and I managed to be caught in the midst of their kerfuffle.”

“More charitable than what I’d describe it as.” Mai shakes her head and exposits. “But no, none are residents near you. It’s enough of a burden placing those two on you as it is; I definitely wouldn’t approve if she dumps more on you, even if a similar event managed to involve you. The odds for that in normal occasions are staggeringly low.”

“I don’t quite play by the normal odds anymore, now do I?”

“If you’re going to be that pessimistic, then why bother with the question, Slick.?” The not-angel snorts in quite the unangelic manner. “By that logic, it doesn’t matter what I say, as no matter what happens, the worst will happen and you’ll get every Gensokyan in the city dumped on you.” She starts snickering a bit louder.

Noticing that the waitress is starting to pay a bit too close of attention, and is looking a mite bit worried, you cut her off. “Well, I just am being honest. But if they’re far enough away, they won’t get caught up in the misfortune that Hina exudes.”

“You’ll be fine; most live further outside the city as it is. Not many reside this close to the city center.” She rolls her eyes. “Shall I compile a list of ones that you need to be worried about and try to avoid?”

...That’s a little generous. “That sounds like more paperwork for you. ...And, honestly, it doesn’t sound quite legal.”

Mai whistles a little. “Well, unless they are baseline human, than I can technically get away with it. ...And, besides, it isn’t that much work. Typing at a computer for fifteen minutes could be a lot more tedious than that.”

“...Now that is an odd mental image.”

“Trust me; it’s a lot easier than writing these forms out by hand. ...Learned that one the hard way.”

“I can imagine.” Still, at least part of you can’t help be but a little impressed by the speed of which she has adapted. Granted, she probably is like one of the people in human relations who are the hunt and peck type, but beggars can’t be choosers. “So, anything else you can tell me about the girls?”

She thinks on that for a moment before shrugging. “Only can tell you our involvement. The goddess has had to move plenty of times, although each time has been due to the host kicking them out due to her causing a certain amount of destruction at each one. We’ve had to take care transporting her, frankly. I’m surprised she hasn’t been sent up to the north at this rate.”

“She intimated as much to me.” You reach up and rub the back of your head. “Anything in particular that I need to worry about? Even if it is about the others?”

“Hrm… Well, from what I heard about Sara, that half ghost can be a little one-minded when she sets into a task.”

“I’ve noticed that she can be quite focused when she starts thinking about serving her mistress.” That is just an odd thought in and of itself, but you let it slide. “I don’t see the downside of it, though.”

“Didn’t say there was, but I don’t know them personally.”

Not exactly useful, but that is about as much as you could ask. “Is there anything else you can tell me?”

“About?”

“Just in general.”

“Hrm…” Mai thinks on it for a little bit. “Did I mention the part about no copulating?”

Your eyebrow twitches just a little bit. “You have, yes.”

“Good; we’re not going to have any of that.” She smirks a little. “As for the rest… Please try to limit exposure of them to modern conveniences. Gensokyans have a fascination with it… Or at least some do.” She tilts her head. “And restrain any argument before they resort to danmaku; once they use that type of magic, repair bills go up dramatically.”

“...I meant more in the lines of advice on what I’m supposed to do?”

Mai shakes her head. “Normally, it would be a combination of exposing them to the outsider world and letting them help in the normal household manner. ...With three, and considering your current sojourn from meaningful employment, I would recommend at least attempting to exit the premises. ...Also, considering how temperamental a few of them are, I would suggest not ignoring any of them.”

“Even the poltergeist.”

“Even that, yes.” She shakes her head. “At least enough to know that she isn’t completely ignored.”

Grumbling, you sigh. “Still not happy about it.”

“Eh, it’ll get better. ...Most likely.” She shrugs. “Sides, Slick, it shouldn’t be too long before they both get their active permits back and they’re moved to another district; only way that won’t happen is if they—”

Her odd appeal to your humanity is cut short to the door being thrown again, but this time the gust of wind is accompanied by a series of white orbs with dangling tails. Each one seems to have a standard triangular head cloth with various designs occupying the front. Each of their beady eyes is looking around warily, and all have a long, nearly humorous-looking tongue hanging out of their mouths between clenched teeth.

Only nearly humorous, as each of them seems to be cradling a rather unghostly looking submachine gun.

You don’t get to see much more as Mai grabs you by the scruff of your jacket and tosses you over the the counter. As you fly, you hear the unfamiliar rap of a machine gun being fired. You tumble behind the counter and onto the tile floor, barely avoiding an eighteen-sided trashcan in the process.

After righting yourself against the undercounter cabinetry, you look back up and spy Mai slouched over the counter… with a dribble of blood dripping out of the corner of her mouth. Before you even think about what you’re doing, you reach up and grab her, pulling her over the counter before she can say anything.

“Uggh… Why did…” You tune her out when you pull her over, trying to ignore the screams that are echoing in the diner. As she unceremoniously falls onto the floor, you spy that her back has become a bloody ruin. “Idiot… Giving yourself away.”

The waitress runs back to the stockroom, and you watch as a pair of the ghosts chase after her. Your breath begins to quicken, but you turn back to Mai and quickly whisper, “You just got shot. That doesn’t matter right now.”

“I’ll be fine. Just… let the others know.” She grimaces as she tries to sit back up. She stops soon after as the lifeblood continues to roll. “Dammit… liked this suit.”

“This isn’t the time!” You bend over her and reach for the suit. “You’re going to bleed out at this rate.”

“Dammit Slick! Just contact the others and hide!”

[ ] Squirrel yourself away under the counters and call Smith.
[ ] Ignore her and continue to treat her wounds in the open.
[ ] Write-in.
 No. 191595
[X] Ignore her and continue to treat her wounds in the open.
 No. 191597
[X]Tug her under the counters with you and at least stop the bleeding while calling smith. Apply pressure with your shirt should do it.
-[X]Dial smith and hold it with shoulder, then use your hands to keep her from bleeding out.
--[X] "Mai's been shot. We're at <insert location here>.
 No. 191598
[X] Ignore her and continue to treat her wounds in the open.

I feel like the other option is the right one, but I'm voting for this anyways.
 No. 191600
[X]Tug her under the counters with you and at least stop the bleeding while calling smith. Apply pressure with your shirt should do it.
-[X]Dial smith and hold it with shoulder, then use your hands to keep her from bleeding out.
--[X] "Mai's been shot. We're at <insert location here>.

I figure this is the better option. Mai has more knowledge on her own body so we can trust her on that. And since these are ghosts, I imagine Smith and others would know better how to deal with them.

Also, seeing uh monsters committing crimes. Wow didn't expect that!
 No. 191604
[x] >>191597

No reason not to do both. If you don't like this write in, consider this a vote for "treat her woubds"
 No. 191605
[X] Squirrel yourself away under the counters and call Smith.

I trust her not to die if she's only worried about clothes. Also, does nobody else think that we have a problem with murderous ghosts about? Probably want to do something about that first.
 No. 191612
[X]>>191597

I know it isn't necessarily the most intelligent choice, but I want to do it nonetheless. Mai has been pretty amicable so far, so I'd feel kind of bad if we just left her out in the open. Even if it really isn't that big of a deal for her.
 No. 191623
[X]>>191597
Why is this scene giving me JoJo flashbacks?
 No. 191626
>>191623
Because this is a chance to be awesome?
 No. 191662
Having your cake and eating it too is called!
 No. 191684
File 147495842064.jpg - (114.90KB, 640x700, bananaphone.jpg) [iqdb]
191684
[x]Tug her under the counters with you and at least stop the bleeding while calling smith. Apply pressure with your shirt should do it.
-[x]Dial smith and hold it with shoulder, then use your hands to keep her from bleeding out.
--[x] "Mai's been shot. We're at <insert location here>.

~t+t~

“There’s no time for this.” You bite down and stop the rising urge to complain and instead wrench open a door before grabbing Mai by the foot. “We’ll just do both; that much blood loss can’t be good.”

“But there isn’t—” She yelps as you pull her despite protests. You scramble into the counter, pushing aside the glassware that is starting to annoy you by the number of points that every single one of the dang things have. Ignoring them, you manage to wedge yourself inside of the cabinetry and then start pulling her.

There is some resistance, and you look up. “Stop fighting and get in here. There’s enough time.”

The not-angel growls a bit, looking as if she is going to refuse, but she cringes again in pain and slumps. As the sporadic gunfire continues, she sighs and folds her wings so that she can clear the small space. “Fine, fine…” She starts backpedaling as you tug her in, but the moment she clears the door, you reach up and swing it shut. “Uggh… Moving around like this isn’t going to help the bullets lodge in me, you know.”

“Better than getting shot while you’re lying down. Don’t know how much good you could do in this condition.” You search around immediately for a towel in case one is available, but you find nothing of the sort. A dirty dish towel isn’t likely to be sanitary enough for the needs at hand. “Just stay right there. I need to stop the bleeding.” One hand goes to tug off your shirt while the other dives into your pocket, searching for your phone.

Still, the angle grits her teeth. “What good does that do? I can do a far better job out there; besides, you’re one of the hosts. It is my responsibility in particular to make sure that no harm comes to you.”

“Well, in the short time I’ve been around you, you’ve succeeded. Now just lie there. I need to stop the blood before it gets worse.” You reach down and punch your phone a few times as you try to pull up Smith’s number while also pulling off your shirt. Two simple operations should not be so complicated, and you feel yourself starting to panic just the little bit when the shirt gets caught and you can’t find Smith’s number.

Only starting to, as you pull the shirt hard enough that it rips off and solves both of the problems with a single stroke. Not that you have to worry about this shirt being wearable again, after all. Further dithering is ignored as you manage to press the remains of your shirt into her back. Mai immediately hisses in response. “Be careful with that, will you!”

“You just were saying it wasn’t as big of a deal.” As Mai mutters about pain still being pain, you finally press the call button and pin the phone against your ear. Once you hear the ringing, you lean down and press your shirt into her multitude of wounds, ignoring the grunts and gasps of pain from underneath you.

And you continue to wait as it continues to ring. And keeps ringing. “C’mon, pick up…” And keeps ringing. And keeps—

“Hi, this is Agent Smith!”

“Thank goodness, you finally answered.” Sighing, you quietly bark out. “We are under—”

“I’m not here right now! Please leave a message; I will have someone get to your call when I wake up. Tata!”

“...Goddammit Smith.” Growling in frustration, you reach up and snap the phone redialing the number again. “Answer the thrice-damned phone…”

Mai groans again, though this one certainly seems to be more out of frustration. “Don’t tell me she let it ring.”

“She did.” You wait for it to ring again, and it finally picks up.

“Hi, this is Agent Smith! I’m not here—” In frustration, you immediately cancel the call and redial again.

“If these ghosts don’t kill us, I’m going to kill that woman.” Mai doesn’t countermand your statement, and you wait for the ring. You start to feel your hand get a little wet as the blood continues to soak your shirt; it’s hard to tell just how bad it is in the dark. “Come on, answer will you?”

“Hi, this is Agent Smith! I’m not here right now!”

Definitely going to be killing here. This time, you let the message play out and go to the voicemail box. “I don’t know if you’re asleep or dead, but either way pick up your phone. Mai has been shot. We’re located at the Café Cubit. Please send assistance ASAP, a bunch of ghosts have invaded the building and shot up the place. Send help immediately.” You finally cut off and redial again. “You going to be able to stay conscious, Mai?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll live. It’ll take more than that to take me down.” She grunts and looks back at you. “Just give me a little bit and I’ll be good enough that we can take down a few of these bozos, ok?” From your soaking hand, you kinda doubt that will be the case, but you nod along. “Just stay quiet so we don’t get caught.”

A second after she says that, the door shift, and light assaults your eyes as the door is yanked back and something cold and shiny enters into the cabinet. “‘Ey! Boss! Looks like we found two more of ‘em! Knew I heard something scurrying under here.” The doofy face of the ghost stares back and forth between you and Mai before fixing you with its outsized grin. “Not like we gonna be having any trouble; looks like we got the one here.”

You stare back at it, continuing to press. The ghost’s grin widens when it spots the wings on Mai. “Got her good, ‘ey? Not like there’s anything you can do, boyo.” The ghost finally spots the phone wedged against your ear. “Nor can those badges help, see. They don’t have jurisdiction.”

“And you shot a few people already. Like they’d care at that point.”

The ghost laughs a bit and presses the barrel against your head a little harder. “We only shot yous little friend initially. The only other boyos we shot were the ones that tried to fight. Self defense, see?”

“...You’re a ghost. They couldn’t do a thing against you.”

“That’s besides the point.” The ghost laughs. “Now, get on out and hand over the phone. We just gonna get yousa all nice and tied up so ya can wait for PC-98 to show on up and then we can hand over our demands.” It stretches a little bit before its grin fades and it growls. “Now get out, or we’re gonna put a few more holes in your little girlfriend, ey?”

[ ] Comply and get out. You can’t do anything.
[ ] Bargain with it. You might be able to offer something.
[ ] Disarm Prerequisite required: Police Officer Class
[ ] Punch it.
[ ] Throw your phone at it.
[ ] Pull its tongue.
[ ] Write-in.
 No. 191689
I wanted him to be a cop but nooo, you guys wanted him to be an engineer, gods know why.

Anyway, let's hope they don't ask for much.

[x] Bargain
 No. 191690
Uhh...
I can't see anything good happening for us against a ghost. However,

[X] Call home on speed-dial, then speak loudly to the ghost ("You're never gonna get away with taking us hostage at Cafe Cubit")

I think they're stupid enough not to notice. I am assuming that our home number is on speed-dial, but if we have Hina's then that's even better.
 No. 191692
[X] Call home on speed-dial, then speak loudly to the ghost ("You're never gonna get away with taking us hostage at Cafe Cubit")

We need to find something horrible to do to Smith afterwards, if we manage to not die. Negligent incompetent goddamn bureaucrat.
 No. 191693
[X] Call home on speed-dial, then speak loudly to the ghost ("You're never gonna get away with taking us hostage at Cafe Cubit")

I'll jump on this bandwagon for now, unless an option I like more comes up.

>>191690
I don't think electronics mix well with our lovely misfortune goddess. If she had one, it probably wouldn't last very long.
 No. 191694
After carefully examining every possible option, including the write-in, and consulting various pie graphs and bar charts, as well as phoning in and asking the expert opinions from experts, I've reached a conclusion as to what the smartest option available to us is.

[x] Pull its tongue.
 No. 191695
[x] Pull its tongue.

In this genre the stupidest idea should be the most effective.
 No. 191700
[X] Comply and get out. You can’t do anything.

Honestly, you guys are making things waaaaay more complex than they really need to be.
 No. 191704
[X] Punch it.
 No. 191705
>Punch the ghost
>Pull its tongue

What the fuck
 No. 191706
[x] Pull its tongue.
 No. 191707
Looks like it's tiebreaker time!

Next vote that breaks the tie wins.
 No. 191708
>>191707
Oh god what a train wreck.

I hope it's crazy enough to work and not just crazy.
 No. 191709
[x] Pull its tongue.

>>191708

Well, might as well do the sillier one and hope it's an erogenous zone or something.




If the bakebake are like this, I wonder what may have happened to Rika? Or Sigma?
 No. 191711
File 147502750389.png - (16.14KB, 218x220, he wasnt lying.png) [iqdb]
191711
[x] Pull its tongue.

~v+v~

As you remain hunched over in the cabinetry, you stare down the oddly buffoonish looking face of the ghost packing heat, and the strangest of ideas come to you. That tongue sticking out between its teeth is dangling, waving back and forth like a little worm perched upon a pearly white hook. You think on how Myon managed to catch you when you fell, not to mention how Merlin continued to harass you. This is your chance to strike.

And so you your hand leaps through the air like a jungle cat, quick as lightning; it springs forth upon the wriggling prey on the surface of your foe’s face. It doesn’t have time to react as you clench about its struggling pink morass, giving it nary a second to escape.

...Of course, then you remember how difficult it is to catch a ghost that doesn’t want to be touched. Your hand closes and the tongue proves to be just as tangible as a morning mist.

“‘Ey? What ya think yous doing, boyo?”

“...Trying to grab your tongue.”

“Not so smart, are ya?” The ghost shrugs. “Eh, I warned you.” Before you can react, the barrel tilts down, and the ghost unloads into your blue-haired companion. The not-angel screams in pain as thirty rounds tear into her wings and back in short order, aerating her body in a deadly, bloody display.

You crouch there, staring in shock as you feel a sanguine drip on your face your face. You can’t see how bad most of the damage is, but one of the wings seems to have a few white shards sticking out from its humerus. Mai no longer is moving, either; although considering the ruin that she is, it’d be hard to tell. Hopefully she’s just playing possum…

“Now, get up, or am I gonna have to get another clip?”

[ ] Comply and get out. You can’t do anything.
[ ] Bargain with it. You might be able to offer something.
[ ] Disarm Prerequisite required: Police Officer Class
[ ] Punch it.
[ ] Throw your phone at it.
[ ] Pull its tongue.
[ ] Write-in.
 No. 191713
>>191711
I fucking knew this would happen.
I can only hope this leads to lake.

[X] Punch it.
 No. 191714
[X] Comply and get out. You can’t do anything.

So I have to ask, why exactly did voters think you could grab a ghost? They have an ability to go through walls. They aren't solid, tangible.
 No. 191715
[X] Sped-dial home while complying. Talk loudly about our situation and location. Hope for the best.

We didn't think that one through very well did we? Well, for what it's worth, we can probably say that disarming wouldn't have worked either now.

Punching probably leads to a bad end. Remember, it'd be "self-defense" then.
 No. 191716
So he doesn't want to kill us. That or he thinks he'll get better results by shooting Mai.
Therefore, I'm going with my original write-in.

[X] Call home on speed-dial, then speak loudly to the ghost ("You're never gonna get away with taking us hostage at Cafe Cubit")
 No. 191718
[X] Comply and get out. You can’t do anything.

>>191713

I think they forgot that the author says we only have one continue. >>190177

>>191714

Myself, I just chose the lesser of two evils to change to.

If we're going to make bad choices, I'd rather make good bad choices, dang it!
 No. 191721
[X] Sped-dial home while complying. Talk loudly about our situation and location. Hope for the best.

I know this isn't the best choice, but I really don't think the other prominent one will save us.
 No. 191724
This is tricky. We could probably get away with speed dialing to call home, but do we actually know if Hina or the others know how to properly operate a phone at all?

That, and how do we know if that won't just get Mai shot again? I'll play it safe and just vote for:

[X] Comply and get out. You can’t do anything.
 No. 191727
[x] Punch it.
 No. 191734
Another day, another tie.

We will need a tie breaker again!
 No. 191741
>>191711

[X] Sped-dial home while complying. Talk loudly about our situation and location. Hope for the best.

Here I come to save the day!
 No. 191742
Now we can only pray that this won't get Mai shot anymore. Or us shot at all.
 No. 191743
>>191742

Yeah... I voted for it because it seemed marginally better than the other option, but I'm more than a little nervous about the outcome of this.
 No. 191845
File 147595335372.jpg - (95.15KB, 1213x658, time to start worrying.jpg) [iqdb]
191845
[x] Sped-dial home while complying. Talk loudly about our situation and location. Hope for the best.

~w+w~

“Fine, fine, I’m getting up.” The rather murderous ghost pulls away, finally letting you passage out. For a moment, you have to wonder why in the world it would do such a thing; you just have to chalk it up to wanting to keep its firearm trained on you for as long as possible. Either way, with your egress secured, you crouch and lean forward, edging towards the exit in the cramped space.

As you pass by Mai, you look down at her crimson form, and you pause for just a moment. ...You don’t see any movement, but buried under your shirt, you’d be hard-pressed to see anything. “...Sorry about this…”

“What’s the holdup, ey?”

“Nothing at all! It’s just cramped in here.”

“Heh, if you say so, boyo.” The ghost cackles a little, and you sigh in relief as it continues to stay back. At least this gives you an opportunity to palm your phone. With your right hand, out of sight of the ghost, you begin pressing in numbers. You knew you kept a home line on hand for whenever you needed to get in contact with it. Not that anyone knows about it. ...For that matter, you hope you left it plugged up after you made the last ISP change…

Still, your finger traces along the screen of the phone (sure, get a over-powered smartphone. You know the moment you’d have to dial blind, you’d miss something tactile) in the semi-familiar pattern, and you hope that it goes through when you hit the button. As it begins to ring, you slide out of the cabinet and stand in the room, taking a quick look around.

The ghosts seem to be corralling the various customers that haven’t either fled or otherwise vanished and are marching them to the back rooms. Frankly, you don’t know for sure whether or not they are aware the ghosts are allowed to hurt them, but the effect of a firearm’s barrel against the small of their backs seems to be quite effective, either way.

After a little bit, the phone continues to ring, and you hear the click of your answering machine picking up. “I’m sorry, but the person you’re trying to reach is not available at this time...” It certainly seems to be working. However, the grinning ghoul in front of you perks up at the noise and starts looking around. That isn’t good in the slightest.

“Now, where’s that coming from?”

Please leave your message after the beep.

The buzzer sounds, and you clear the throat and loudly speak towards the cafe at large. “You’re not going to get away with hold—” The ghost finally identifies what you’re doing and, with alacrity that you did not expect, it swoops down and bludgeons the device out of your hand. “...ing me hostage.”

“Really? What kind of deal yous trying to pull off here?” The ghost sneers at you for a second. “A wise guy, eh? You know what happens to wise guys?”

“Well, you can’t do anything to me.”

“Yeah, I can’t, can’t I?” The ghost snorts and lowers its gun, firing a shot. It smashes your phone and, thanks to the shallow angle it impacted, the bullet ricochets off the floor and out the window. “Though, you won’t be needing this anymore.”

“...I guess not.” ...That could have gone better.

“Besides, wise guys like’n yous need to know what happens. And since we’uns can’t do anything to yous]...” The ghost snickers and flutters over. “Looks like your broad is getting it again!”

“Wait, you can’t!” Before you take a step forward, it lowers the rifle and fires into the cabinet. Your stomach flips as you watch her body shake like a rag doll. Mai’s body is hard to see, and you can’t tell where she was hit, but… even her hair is soaked with red.” “What the hell? Why did you do that?”

“Because you thinking too much, schmot guy.” The ghost snickers. “‘Sides, not like she wasn’t getting plugged later; just gave me an excuse.” The grin on the ghost’s face vanishes, and it stares at you. “Now get moving, and keep quiet. That is, if’n yous don’t want more holes in your gal here, ey?”

There’s nothing else that can be done. With a slump of your shoulders at the futility of the ordeal, you turn away from the mess beneath the counter and head in the direction of the others; there’s certainly nothing that you can do now.

-w+w-

A few minutes later, you are eventually herded upstairs into a barren storeroom, where the ghostly gang has corralled all of the other people that were in the cafe at the time. Everyone except Mai is here, to the best of your recollection, though it doesn’t really matter. The ghosts remain posted at the entrances, floating and watching over the crowd with that stupefyingly goofy look that lingers on their faces. You’re not going to be underestimating them again.

The room that you’re currently inhabiting just seems to hold bags of coffee beans, satchels of tea, and cases of salt, sugar, spices, artificial sweetener, along with even more unlabeled packages that you’re not sure what they contain. Nothing here is going to be useful, even if you could get past the intangible attribute of your captors. Other than that, the room is rather bare (not counting the shelving), along with the large window.

A large window that has a black mass and yellow eyes behind it.

[ ] Write-in
 No. 191849
[x] Break window.

In case of emergency, release shoggoth.
 No. 191850
[X]Quietly open window

Yes, let's get the shoggoth killed, too.
 No. 191851
File 147597215894.png - (219.37KB, 1502x1002, OhhgodwhathorrorhaveIcreated.png) [iqdb]
191851
>>191849

Do you want this to happen?!
 No. 191852
I would try to think of some complicated plan involving the sugar, beans and spice possibly involving explosions, that's probably just a good way to get someone shot.

Besides, he's a software engineer, not a biochemical engineer or something.
 No. 191855
[X]Quietly open window

I don't know what else we can do. In a hostage situation, we're at the mercy of our kidnappers, so whatever.
 No. 191859
[x] Break window.

Guys it's totally Rumia wearing contacts here to save us this can't possibly go wrong.
 No. 191864
>“Well, you can’t do anything to me.”

>“Yeah, I can’t, can’t I?”

Wait is this an actual thing? The ghosts can not and will not hurt humans? Do we have an actual reason to believe this? Because if that's true we could just get up right now and calmly walk away. As long as we take an exit route that doesn't bring us anywhere near Mai, the ghosts can't stop us by threatening to shoot her.

[x] Just leave. Apparently they can't hurt you.
 No. 191865
>>191864

They can't hurt humans, just as humans can't hurt them. Mai isn't human, is she? She's free game.

Trust me, this fact is heavily exploited in the series, but self defense is something they can do.

You know that one Speed with the guy with Diplomatic Immunity? Think that. Well, if there were a metric buttload of him, who could hurt each other as much as they want.

You know, this analogy is falling apart.
 No. 191866
>>191865
So, if I am understanding you correctly, the reason the ghosts can't hurt us is because they would lose their diplomatic immunity. In other words, the murderous criminal ghosts will not murder us because murdering us would be a crime?

For how confident the MC is that they won't shoot us, that just seems like a flimsy reason to base that conclusion on. I mean they already shot Mai with like 50 bullets, what's one more law broken. Does the Monster Musume universe really work like this? You can kill your own species with no consequences, but killing another species is some unthinkable crime?

If that's how it works, we could walk out of here, pick up Mai, and use ourselves as a literal human shield so they can't shoot her.
 No. 191868
>>191866

Honestly, that could work, going by in-universe logic. Only one character really realized you could even defend yourself.

This entire situation is a retread of an event that happened in the manga. Mind you, Mai is replacing a bullet sponge of a zombie, but, well...

Still, there are crazier ideas.
 No. 191873
I like this story and I'm happy that finally my favorite girl Hina is there. I hope I can see her more. Oh and then there will be romance in this story? I hope there will be because of how I see Hina's actions towards the man.
 No. 191875
>>191873

I'm sure there will be.

Although, I'm also sure it will go horribly, doubly so if Hina is involved.
 No. 191882
Just a note that we need votes; we're in a 2-2-1 tie right now, and I'd like a clearer consensus.

>>191866
Well, technically, the only thing you're working off right now is their word. But generally, yes: in MM, human laws could only be enforced on humans, and liminal laws enforced on liminals. There was no jurisdiction otherwise.

>>191873
Glad you like it so far, and if I spy things correctly, welcome to the board! And the story does have the potential. One piece of advice: don't put your email in the email line; that is a good way to get spam. Leave it blank to return to the parent board, type in sage to post without bumping the thread, and type noko to post and return to the thread itself. That, or put a hidden pithy comment in for readers to search for.
 No. 191883
>>191882

Hidden pithy comment, you say?
 No. 191887
>>191883
That I did.
 No. 191899
[x] Quietly open window

I wish we would stop fucking things up, but doing nothing is hardly better
 No. 191900
>>191882

Would you tell me where I type in 'sage' or 'noko'? In Name? In Subject? I've never used them before.
 No. 191901
>>191900
You type it in the "email" segment. It's why some "anonymous" names are red and underlined rather than just blue.

Of course, it displays that no matter what you put in the email segment, but the only way that it counts as a "sage" is if you yourself type sage into the email bar.
 No. 191902
>>191900
Email field. These questions are already posted in the /blue/ test thread if you need to reference it in the future.
 No. 191903
[X]Quietly open window
 No. 191904
[X]Quietly open window
 No. 191905
>>191868
Did the zombie survive? Because I'm worried about how Mai is doing here.
 No. 191906
>>191905

Well, she did but I somehow doubt Mai can take as much damage as someone who can't die.

On that note, I wonder why Ellen wasn't used as her or something? She was pretty close to immortal, sorta-kinda!

Mai god did she get shot more than Zombina.
 No. 191907
>>191906
Actually, Zombina didn't survive. Zombies aren't alive, so...
 No. 191908
>>191907

Good point!

In that case, they've been shooting her corpse!
 No. 191909
File 147625943273.png - (224.69KB, 512x384, third time mai be the charm.png) [iqdb]
191909
[x] Quietly open window

~x+x~

Well… at least the ghosts aren’t too worried about what you’re doing inside the room; so long as you don’t make any sudden moves, they may not immediately get suspicious. They certainly haven’t noticed the shadow that has been following you around, though, to be fair, no one else in this room has noticed such a thing either. Its eyes glower and smolder as it stares at you, and you have to wonder why exactly it has come to you again. After the incident in the park, why would it? ...You don’t care for the few answers that you can imagine.

Either way, you don’t have a way out of this right now, and considering Mai’s current predicament, you do not have the leisure of simply waiting. And… At the least, you can use yourself as bait for the translucent terrors or for the persistent phantasm. Maybe the two can cause each other enough ruckus that you can get out with Mai in the meantime.

Apparently, it can’t get through the window and, very carefully, you edge toward it, trying to look nonchalant as possible. The other captives remain huddled in corners of the room, curled up on the floor. None of them seem to be too terrible injured, though quite a few are favoring legs or clutching wrists while silently whimpering. They must have fallen when they were forced up here. Either that, or in the panic afterwards.

Turning back, you find that the window is now lacking in the dark presence. ...Whatever was there is now gone. Did it get in here, or is it hiding now? You look back and forth at the ghosts; they still are floating around, but aren’t taking particular note of your movement. ...And, as such, you continue to idle on over to the window. Taking one small step at a time… As innocent looking as a shirtless and bloodied engineer can look in the middle of a hostage situation.

Two minutes later, after taking enough time that you nearly gave yourself a migraine in the meanwhile, you finally reach the window. You lean up and look for a latch; thankfully, this window is relatively standard residential one, and the lever is easily accessible. Once the ghosts all start to look away as one in particular cackles at the waitress, you reach up and spin it open before barely lifting the latch. ...After all, the shadow should only need the barest of gaps; you give it more than that. At least from here you can tell why no one has bothered to try and jump down; any attempt to is only going to cause injury, with the road so far below and no dumpster, emergency ladder, or convenient mattress to take the fall. Hopefully the cops will show up soon. ...For that matter, where is the shadow? It’s taking too long for it to do anything. If it doesn’t show up soon, then the ghosts will—

“Ey! What do you think you’re doing?” ...Find out. You look back and one of the derpier looking one floats over. ...After a second thought, you swear that this one is cross-eyed. “Thinking on jumping, ain’t ya? I wouldn’t advise that one. Yous might be looking like a bit of a smear after that.”

“...It is only one story. I’d break my leg, but nothing worse.”

“Close enough.” Still, the ghost grins. “Might not wanna try that, ey? Now yous be good step away.” The bakebake starts to lift the firearm, but as he does, you hear the familiar patter of distant gunshots and snap your head to the door on the right — same as the rest of the ghosts. The one in front of you looks rather perturbed “Whaddya think that was?”

“Not sure! Sounds like they found another stray!” A couple of the ghosts immediately float on out and down the hall, already getting ready; that leaves the one ghost waiting in the room, staring at the exits and waiting for something to trespass inside.

They wait for another thirty seconds and the fire repeats, this time coming from down and to your left, opposite of where you came in. Curious, the cross-eyed ghost bites its tongue and floats forward and to the left, minding the entrance carefully. Its eyes twitch back and forth, examining the darkness with all the intelligence it can muster. You check behind you once more, but you spy nothing else out on the oddly deserted street. There is no shadow remaining.

When you look back in front of the ghost and at the hallway it is staring at, you notice a blur past by it with dark wings, though you’re not quite sure. You shake your head a bit, and the ghost floats forward and into the door frame. The moment it crosses the threshold, a rod with some sort of start perched on top of it lashes out and smacks into its face. ...Somehow, this assault on its effervescent being connects, and the ghost is sent careening through the room and through the opposite wall. Its weapon does not contain the same prowess and clatters to the ground the moment it phases through. On the other side, that same form flies back past the door frame.

[ ] Follow after the form. It seems to be leaving a trail of ghostly, well… It’s carving a path.
[ ] Find another route. Take advantage of the distraction.
[ ] Mai priority hasn’t changed at all. Go find Mai angel.
&
[ ] Go for the gun. That way, you remove one weapon from their possession.
[ ] Don’t bother; you’ve no experience with it, and you’re more likely to shoot yourself.
[ ] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.
[ ] Hide the gun where no one can see.

[ ] Write-in
 No. 191911
[X] Follow after the form. It seems to be leaving a trail of ghostly, well… It’s carving a path.

[X] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.

If pulling their tongue didn't work, I highly doubt bullets will. Unless, of course, they're extraspecies only bullets, which is why we didn't get shot.
 No. 191914
[x] Mai vote
[x] Gun vote

We have to make up for our part in getting her shot like three times
 No. 191918
[x] Mai vote
[x] Gun vote
>blur with dark wings
Ayayayaya~
 No. 191919
[ ] Mai priority hasn’t changed at all. Go find Mai angel.
[ ] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.

We're an untrained engineer: we'd more likely shoot ourselves if we tried to use it. And even if that weren't the case, the not-angel is a higher priority.
 No. 191920
[X] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.

[X] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.
 No. 191921
[x] Mai priority hasn’t changed at all. Go find Mai angel.
[x] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.
 No. 191924
[X] Mai priority hasn’t changed at all. Go find Mai angel.
[X] Hide the gun where no one can see.
 No. 191929
[X] Find another route. Take advantage of the distraction.
[x] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.

Honestly, the path of least resistance seems wisest to me.
 No. 191991
[x] Mai priority hasn’t changed at all. Go find Mai angel.
[x] Dispose of the weapon where the ghosts won’t recover it.

~y+y~

You don’t care about that at all; there is only one thought on your mind: trying to find Mai and get her out of here. It’s your fault she’s in as bad of a state she is in, even if indirectly. Still, there is the question of the firearm that is still lying on the floor. The other captives are eyeballing the wall through which the ghost flew, and a few others are looking down at the rifle that is laying there.

You’re not going to give them the chance to be a hero. Striding forward, you quickly secure the rifle in your own hands as all eyes turn to you. “...I’m not going to use this thing. It’s not going to do any good against ghosts.” They eye you oddly, and you shake your head and traipse back over to the window. You could hide the rifle in the flour or some other container, but there is no telling where or if the ghost might end up. That, and if you hid it here, all of the people remaining here could pinpoint its location. And, if you toss it right, you think you can reach one of the trees outside…

Not giving any of the others any regard, you grab the rifle and lean out of the window. After pumping your arm a few times, you build up a little bit more momentum and toss it as far as you can. The rifle sails and lands in the middle of the nearby tree and, surprisingly, it lands in the branches and the strap hooks around the edge of a limb. It remains dangling there, swaying precipitously back and forth, but it doesn’t snap a branch and fall down. So long as those ghosts remain committed to securing the building, they won’t be heading out there anytime soon.

With that in mind, you turn down the hall and head down the left door, following after the blur that is taking out a few of the ghosts. Better to go this way, where there is at least something of a clear path, then to go the other way and risk running into reinforcements. ...Besides, the cafe isn’t that large; she shouldn’t have too many places to hide.

You carefully tread down the stairs, listening out for the sound of anymore combat. You keep hearing the shouts of others dashing around, trying to get a target on something, but even as you do there is the occasional thunk that interrupts the hurried pleas. At least whoever this is makes a good distraction.

It doesn’t take long for you to sneak down into the main room and to a cracked door. Once there, you gently push it open and look through, trying to see what is beyond. You get the glimpses of a few ghosts dashing around, desperately trying to find the source of their troubles… And you can just barely see the bloody trail that leads towards under a counter.

“Oh, you shouldn’t be doing that!” A hand reaches out and clamps over your mouth, pulling you back. “Nuh-huh! Not at all! That’s a bad thing; you might get yourself hurt!”

You struggle against your sudden assailant, though that grip is rather strong. “Wahm am myu mofing?!?”

“Making sure you don’t get shot! Not like the other girl. Putting holes in that noggin is a very bad thing. Even worse for a human like you!” The high-pitched voice is rather piercing; you’re surprised that the ghosts haven’t heard her in here.

“...Myu dahnt iiet!”

“Don’t be like that! I’m just keeping you safe!” And, with that, the girl spins you around and puts herself between you and the door. As she does, she finally lets go of your mouth and pats you on the shoulders, idly blushing off dust. “Now, just go back and stay out of trouble, ok? This kind of business isn’t meant for outsider like you! You’ll just get a very bad bruise or worse, yes? And we can’t do that, nuh-huh.” To emphasize, she shakes her head back and forth; you can only tail as her hair slings around hard enough to whip you in the face.
 No. 191992
File 147658919241.png - (127.53KB, 500x500, magical girl complex ho!.png) [iqdb]
191992
Disgruntled, you turn back around at the shorter blonde girl who is grinning up at you with an unusually large and shiny grin. ...It takes you a moment longer to realize that she has some sort of magic wand in her hand with a cartoonishly large star on the end of it. ...If that wasn’t the worse part, you realize that she is wearing some sort of… is that a school uniform? “Err… What do think you’re doing?”

The girl tilts her head to the side. It’s then that you realize that there is something moving behind her; large, batlike wings slowly flap as she does. “What does it look like I’m doing? I’m here to save you, silly!” After a beat, she tilts her head the other way and puts her finger to her chin. “Well, you and everyone else! It’s my job!”

You have to hope that she means that literally, and it’s merely not a euphemism. “If you say so. ...Are you with PC-98, then?” That would provide some measure of relief.

“With who?” She just grins widely. “I’m just being a hero! Now go and stay somewhere nice and quiet until I finish, okie-dokie?”

Well, that’s a no.

[ ] Just do as such; there’s not much you can really do. Besides, she’s not going to take no for an answer.
[ ] Mai takes priority. You’re being just as much of a hero; together, you are bigger ones.
[ ] Join her! Righting wrongs and kicking ghosts! Offer her to join you as you become heros together!
-[ ] And introduce that stick of hers to Merlin later...
[ ] This is all just a really bad dream. Soon you’ll wake up at bed at home.
[ ] Write-in
 No. 191993
[X] Join her! Righting wrongs and kicking ghosts! Offer her to join you as you become heros together!

I'm sure this is a bad idea, but I can't help myself.
 No. 191994
[x] Mai takes priority. You’re being just as much of a hero; together, you are bigger ones.

Loli vampires in a modern setting... oh how I miss that story.
 No. 191995
[X] Mai takes priority. You’re being just as much of a hero; together, you are bigger ones.

...Let's ignore the weirdo tearing up the place for now. And hopefully forever.
 No. 191996
>You mai want to be patient

Well, that's not ominous at all...

[X] Just do as such; there’s not much you can really do. Besides, she’s not going to take no for an answer.
 No. 191997
[X] Mai takes priority. You’re being just as much of a hero; together, you are bigger ones.

I feel like all of these options will get someone shot somehow. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
 No. 191998
[X] Mai takes priority. You’re being just as much of a hero; together, you are bigger ones.

It's not good to leave a injured person alone and unprotected. I hope someone goes to save Mai already!
 No. 191999
[x] Join her
The moment when we turn our backs on her, she will get shot. And who knies if she can endure bullets
 No. 192018
I'll give you this, ya'll are consistent. Called.
 No. 192032
When will be the next part?
 No. 192033
>>192032

I'm going to try tonight; things came up, but this one should be short enough that I'll be able to hammer it out.
 No. 192039
File 147703586165.jpg - (337.78KB, 566x800, stop trying to help so much eh?.jpg) [iqdb]
192039
[x] Mai takes priority. You’re being just as much of a hero; together, you are bigger ones.

~z+z~

“I’m sorry Miss, I’m afraid I can’t do that.” You shake your head and try to take a step around here. “My friend is trapped in there, and I am going to go in there and get her out.”

“That will put you at risk, though! That is a big no-no!” The girl shakes her head back and forth, waving her hands at you. “I can’t do that! You could be shot!”

“They know they can’t do that so long as I don’t do anything threatening.” You frown and look down at her. “Besides, you say you’re wanting to be a hero?”

“Uh-huh! Got to keep you safe, after all!” ...That smile is way too cheerful to be honest. ...And you swear those are fangs. “So don’t you worry that little head!”

“Thing is, I have to be Mai’s hero.”

She gives you an odd look. “You’re trying to rescue yourself?”

This is not the time for this. You take a deep breath, and, after another moment, you shake your head. “Not that, just… listen. I need to get my friend out of there. She is shot and hurt badly. If we don’t do that she may not even live. I’m not even sure. So I need to go out there ASAP and be her hero.”

The girl shakes her head again. “Still, she is already hurt! Until ghosts are cleaned out, then you can be shot, too!”

“But you need to get back to doing that.” You pause and look back to the door. The moment you leave, I’m going to go in there and rescue her. You can be an even bigger hero if you can make enough of a distraction for me to get her to safety. Then mop up the rest before anyone else gets injured. It’s a win win for both of us.”

“Hrmmmmmm……” The girl taps her lips and nods. “Okie dokie, I can do that! Just wait for my signal and go and get her! I’ll keep on beating them up!” And with that, the girl twirls out the door she just came through, and a few seconds later you hear a sick smack and see a white blur go careening past the door.

Despite her sudden decision to actually start helping again, you start to mutter in annoyance. “It would help if she told me the signal to listen for.” You hear another thud and hear the familiar clatter of the gun hitting the floor. “Why doesn’t she use some sort of magic rather than going and beating them up with her wand? Doesn’t make a lick of sense…” You say that as if there rest of this did. There’s another hit and another clatter. “I’ll just have to ask when this is all over.”

“Alright, batter up! A swing….” You hear another thud, but this time there is no clatter. “And she scores! Field goal!”

“If that’s not a dumb signal…” Taking it as one, you crouch beside the door and grab the handle. After a few more seconds, you shove it open and dash inside as quickly as possible, making a beeline to Mai.

The girl hasn’t moved an inch, and that blue hair and the white wings are covered in the dark red lifeblood. Your shirt is exactly where you left it, on top of her, but you can spy the bullet holes. Ignoring all of that, you lean down next to her, trying to feel for some sort of heartbeat. Your fingers fumble and you can’t find it, although you can just barely see her lips move as breath struggles to pass them. Right. She’s still with us… And I need to get out of here soon.

[ ] Go out the front door. It’s right there, and you should be clear.
[ ] Go back the way you came and out a side door. It might be hard to find, but noone is looking there.
[ ] Go hide in a small side room or storage closet. Try to stabilize her and wait it out.
[ ] Go back under the counter and just try to keep her here. Not moving when there are injuries is the plan, right?
[ ] Write-in.
 No. 192041
[X] Go back the way you came and out a side door. It might be hard to find, but noone is looking there.
 No. 192043
[X] Go out the front door. It’s right there, and you should be clear.

Either Mai will be fine without us helping, or we need to take some risks. It looks like it's time to leg it.
 No. 192045
>>192043

Or, y'know... we'll get Mai zombie.
 No. 192046
>>192045
Whose zombie? Seiga's?

I kind of want to do "Whose Ranium?" jokes now.

 No. 192047
[X] Go back the way you came and out a side door. It might be hard to find, but noone is looking there. Or
[X] Go hide in a small side room or storage closet. Try to stabilize her and wait it out.
 No. 192048
[X] Go out the front door. It’s right there, and you should be clear.

If not, then miss baseball wand would cover us.
 No. 192060
Bumping for tiebreaker~ If there isn't one, I'll just pick when I start writing
 No. 192061
[X] Go out the front door. It’s right there, and you should be clear.
 No. 192156
When will be the next part?
 No. 192157
>>192156
Hey friend, please remember to sage when not voting.
 No. 192158
[X] Go back the way you came and out a side door. It might be hard to find, but noone is looking there.
[X] Go hide in a small side room or storage closet. Try to stabilize her and wait it out.
 No. 192161
File 147787418228.gif - (185.39KB, 633x714, tongue out of cheek.gif) [iqdb]
192161
[x] Go out the front door. It’s right there, and you should be clear.


~a++a~


You’re not going to waste any time. Just pick her up and head on out before anything else happens. Besides, it’s not like they can shoot you, or shoot her even worse than she has been so far.


Gently, you hook your arms underneath the girl, tugging Mai on out from under the counter. You work as fast as possible, trying to be careful when her wings get caught but, otherwise, going out of your way to get her clear. Your shirt covers most of the damage, but it is stained crimson and you don’t have the heart to check underneath right now.


The wings eventually clear, one hanging at an awkward and painful angle, and you finally pull away. Before standing, you look around, spying for any ghost that may be lurking about. You see none right now. It’s time to make your run.


She’s heavier than you expected, but you lift her up and start making your way to the exit. As you get close to it, however, the waitress from earlier makes a dash for the door and slides in front of you. You don’t question how she managed to escape, but you do freeze in her tracks the moment that she lifts up a weapon. “Now, sees, yous can’t be just waltzing out here. It makes us’n look bad, ey?”


“Just great…” You tug Mai closer, looking past the waitress with a horrible accent and at the windows and doors, looking for an escape route. “What, isn’t possessing humans against the rules?”


“We’re not harming them, see.” The ghost snickers, its tongue hanging out between its borrowed teeth. They managed to find a way to make their previous demeanor even dumber. “Yous could see we’uns are just borrowing.them.”


“...Why didn’t you do that in the first place.”


“Did you think wes be wanting to wear yous ugly mug, ey?” The ghost snickers mimes wiping a tear from its eye. “We at the Bakebake Order for the Occupation of Bodies don’t approve of the way we be treated. After all, wes had such a good business for yous humans who wanted a bakebake to do their work for him. Yous need to realize that we want to enjoy our job, ey?”


“Either way, we need to get by.” You eye the gun for a moment more and look back at the human face. “Not like you can use it.”


“Who says we can’t? Human on human, right now.” You see a glint of light over the back of the possessed girl’s shoulder as it racks the gun, the unfamiliar hands fumbling a bit with the lever “Now, just be good and wes have to take no more drastic measures, ey?”


[ ] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?
[ ] If it can hurt you, you can hurt it.
-[ ] Bumrush. You can take a hit or two.
-[ ] KaMAIhaMAIha!
[ ] Beat a retreat and hope it doesn’t shoot.
[ ] Write-in

Sorry for the wait. Ya'll have two continues or z votes now, to use as you see fit.
 No. 192162
[x] If it can hurt you, you can hurt it.
-[x] "It still counts as you hurting me, you dumb fuck"
-[x] Rush it down while she thinks of an answer

It seems like they're not used to fire guns with human bodies. Good.
 No. 192163
[X] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?
 No. 192164
[x] If it can hurt you, you can hurt it.
-[x] "It still counts as you hurting me, you dumb fuck"
-[x] Rush it down while she thinks of an answer

May as well. It can't get any worse.
 No. 192165
[x] If it can hurt you, you can hurt it.
-[x] "It still counts as you hurting me, you dumb fuck"
-[x] Rush it down while she thinks of an answer

When in doubt, bandwagon.
 No. 192166
[X] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?

It's already monologue. Just push it a little more and we might get some time!

>>192162

Yes! Attack the defenseless woman it's in, which likely will have no effect on it. And then it gets an excuse to shoot us itself, possibly!

We only have two continues, guys. Do you really want to waste them like they wasted Mai angel?
 No. 192167
>>192164 here.

>>192166 convinced me, so I'll be changing my vote to this:

[X] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?
 No. 192168
[X] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?
 No. 192169
[x] Use Mai as a (non) human shield and make a break for it.

If we do this, then the ghost can't attack us without breaking the law somehow. The ghost can't attack us because that's monster vs. human. The possessed body can't attack our shield because that's human vs monster. The ghost can't shoot without hitting both of us, which breaks the law no matter how you slice it.
 No. 192170
>>192169

You know, using her as a human backpack is less likely to get her finished off, yet accomplishes the same thing. We got in this mess from being cute and trying to game the system. I'd rather just try to do this without assuming too much.
 No. 192173
[X] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?
 No. 192187
File 147797756385.png - (227.53KB, 482x402, a spoonfull of spittle makes the bs go down!.png) [iqdb]
192187
[x] Encourage it to monologue. Elis should be back, right?

~b++b~

“Fine, fine…” You eye it as it fumbles just a little with its weapon, and you wonder if you should go ahead and charge it down, but you temper yourself. You don’t want to end up using her body as a human shield, after all. “...Still, tell me; why are you doing all this?”

“Ey?” The girl gives you a bemused look. You’re starting to grow used to that look, it seems. “What yous talking ‘bout?”

“Well, you did imply there was a reason behind this.” Perhaps the crazy winged girl will manage to return if you can just make the ghost talk. “All of you ghosts-”

Bakebake.”

“...All of you bakebake did this for a reason. Something about the work you were doing?”

“Yes!” The confused look in the girl’s eyes gains an unhealthy shine. “Of course! After all, we at the Bakebake Order for the Occupation of Bodies merely want to be allowed to exercise us’ns rights, see. We be runnin’ a nice little business, yous know. For those peoples that didna want to actually yous a perfectly good body.” The ghost cackles a bit and grins. “Imagine dat! A perfectly good, well-tuned body that yous’ns doneven want to runs! Madness, we say!”

“Dreadful madness indeed.” You idly wonder why anyone thought that would be a good idea, but you try to keep him/her talking. “But something didn’t go right, didn’t it?” Maybe it won’t notice if you try to edge to the door…

“O’ course it didn’t!” The girl huffs, and you can see it trying to cross its arms. It takes a moment to realize it can’t hold the gun in one hand in this body. “So, sees, gedis. Yous humans come in, askin’ us to make miracles happen. See, wesn’s be ghosts, not green-haired shrine maidens… We had to deliver results. So, we work dose bodies hard. Very hard, considerin’ usn’s had no body before, ey? So, it be near natural for us bakebake to… indulge in usn’s bodies. After all, the humans ged what they want! And we get our an… an…” It struggles over the word for a moment before spraying spittle over you. “Our ancilliary benefits wid everthing they’uns be askin’ for! But, here some whiny humans got mad an went and sued us. Can yous believe that?”

...You kinda wish you had a free hand. You can feel that loogies dripping down your cheeks right now. Sadly, none is available, as you’re otherwise preoccupied. You glance outside, looking to see if the coast is clear. ...Curiously enough, it still is. As you turn your head back, you catch that glimmer in your eye once more.

“Well, what yous think?”

“I think it’s a terrible shame all around.”

“Isn’t it, ey?” The ghost nods to him/herself, not minding that you didn’t clarify. “So, we’s get shud outta business. And we’ns here at B.O.O.B am’nt gonna stand for that, sees?”

...They really are going with that name, aren’t they?

“Hey, what’d so funny?” The waitress stares at you intently, trying to snap her gun to the ready. It doesn’t particularly succeed. “I see dose sniggers in yous’ns eyes!

[ ] Just tell him how he’s being a boob.
[ ] Implore him to understand; it’s an inherently funny word.
[ ] Deny you were sniggering. You were snickering. Completely different.
-[ ] Or was it chuckling?
--[ ] Chortling?
[ ] Admit it honestly. You find humor somewhere in this situation.
[ ] Haven’t you waited around long enough? Give a more personal answer.
-[ ] Shoulder check for the tab.
-[ ] Bum rush to avoid the bill.
-[ ] Mai boot to his head.
[ ] Write in.
 No. 192190
[X] Explain what boob means. Try to not be abrasive in doing so.
 No. 192199
[X] Implore him to understand; it’s an inherently funny word.
 No. 192200
[X] Implore him to understand; it’s an inherently funny word.

Cuz less time taken to vote, more time to catch up on all the stories I've missed so far!
 No. 192206
[X] Implore him to understand; it’s an inherently funny word.
 No. 192208
[X] Implore him to understand; it’s an inherently funny word.
 No. 192211
File 147805318967.png - (123.83KB, 399x306, who said you weren't being watched?.png) [iqdb]
192211
[x] Implore him to understand; it’s an inherently funny word.

~c++c~

“Well, I can’t help that the word is funny!”

“Funny, yous say?” The waitress leans forward, opening one eye to get a closer look at you. “How do you mean that, ey?”

“Well, your organization. The one you were just describing to me? Its acronym is… slightly ridiculous, if you think about it.”

“Are yous sayin’ that us bakebake can’t name our groups like yous humans can?” The girl puffs up. “You got some nerves, see. You got some nerve coming out like that, you see, ey?”

“No, it’s not because of that at all.” You eye that weapon nervously as it floats around; you’re not sure whether you should be darting out now. “It’s just because of the nature of the acronym. The name is good, but when put together, it refers to a word that just… well, sounds funny. That is all.”

The ghosts eyes you with the borrowed eye straining, its fingers twitchy. “Yeah, shore. Yous seem like a real shmart guy, eh?” It snickers a bit, but it never really does smile. “See, this is why we’s going out of our way. Yous think yous so all high and mighty, ey?”

“Not at all. I just know we need to leave.”

“Fraid you can’t be doing that, bub. Now, you turn on back around and go back to the room with your little friend and we’ll be fine.”

That isn’t acceptable at all. Mai doesn’t have that time to wait. “If I’m correct, you can’t shoot me now, since I’m a human. Regardless if you’re a human because you’re possessing that poor girl, you still are a ghost committing the act.”

“Well, if yous end up having a… traumatic experience, yous might not be remembering it.” The grin crosses the face of the girl as her eyebrows waggle. It is positively surreal in how ridiculous the look is. “Now, turn on back around like I said, ey?”

“Hrm. Well, if what you say is true, then you can’t do anything to Mai right now. You’re a human, right?” You pull Mai’s form closer to your chest, feeling the coagulated blood oozing out onto abdomen. “You can’t shoot Mai, as she isn’t human. You can only have it one way or the other, after all. Either you’re a human and can’t shoot her, or you’re a ghost and can’t shoot me.”

The ghost snarls. It still can’t manage to actually look threatening. “Now yous gettin’ into technicalities. And, side’s, seems like yous’ns gal is gettin’ closer to a corpse. Last I checked, am’nt no rules against perforatin’ one a those no more, ey?”

“Now you’re just bluffing, aren’t you?” You take a step closer, facing her next to the door. “You really don’t want to end up in too much trouble? Same with the rest of your crew. Besides, what’s happened to them?” You glance back up around the lobby, eyeing the weapons that are littered around it. There is a distinct lack of crazy sailor fuku bat-winged girls, though there is also an absence of any other ghosts, whether they’re possessing hostages or their own doofy faces. “The rest of your order seems to be absent.”

“Us’ns will be here soon enough. No idea what magic yous and yous friend used us’ns, but it won’t help yous in he end.” The ghost grins. “In the end. B.O.O.B. will persevere!”

...You can’t help but to snigger again.

“Yous did it again!” The ghost finally raises the gun, pointing it straight at you. “I think its time that we’ns be teachin’ yous a lesson. Mayaps a permament one might sink in, ey?” Its finger itches closer to the trigger finger and you realize that, for once, it is serious. Before you can try to pull Mai out of the way, you hear the crack of a gunshot ring out.

Shattered glass showers over you, Mai, and the ghostly squatter as the door shatters and collapses. In front of your eyes, you see the receiver of the gun fragment and explode out into the interior of the shop. Both you and the ghost look to the right and see the hole that penetrated through the counter and into the floor beyond, the metal shards from the gun sprayed all over the floor.

[ ] Write-in.
 No. 192212
>>192211
[X] Leg it!

Time to go. Thanks for the save sniper bro!
 No. 192213
File 147806030945.png - (286.81KB, 822x698, Manako1.png) [iqdb]
192213
>>192211
SNIPER BRO MADE IT TO THIS SERIES AS WELL!


[X] Go get Mai help
 No. 192215
[X] Go get Mai help

Sniper bro is best bro. Not sure why we're specifically getting your help, though, but seems reasonable enough.
 No. 192218
So, we have the zombie and the mono-eye so far... That leaves the doppelganger and ogre.

I guess that means Smith just forgot her phone, maybe?
 No. 192225
[X] Go get Mai help
 No. 192227
[X] Go get Mai help
 No. 192231
File 147815587068.png - (69.47KB, 227x312, not very maniacal under current circumstances.png) [iqdb]
192231
[x] Go get Mai help.


~d++d~


Well, now is not the time to stand around dumbfounded. You wrap Mai up and lower your shoulder before barging past the ghostly possessor and out through the shattered door. You wince as you feel the sting on your arms; it seems that a few shards of glass did manage to fly out and snag your bare skin and rip it clean through. You don’t bother to stop and check yourself or Mai for the extent of the injury; the only thing currently on your mind is that empty street in front of you.


...A very curiously empty street at that.


The possessed waitress spins and tries to gun you down, but the trigger does nothing as she clicks. Before she can think about pursuing, you’ve already taken off and are running frantically down the sidewalk; there’s not even anyone nearby to get in your way; you simply continue to dash past the cars parked on the side of the road. There simply isn’t anyone here.


There’s the chance that you can run into a store or house to try and reach a phone and call for help, but you put it out of mind. If the ghosts are chasing you, you don’t want to have to scrounge around in some other confined space and have to maneuver with the girl in your arms. So you continue to run down the street into a still-deserted cityscape. Where might anyone be?


After the third city block, you become cognizant of the burning feeling in your legs; there’s the definite sense that you are pushing past your untrained body’s potential. Air is straining to get through your constricted airways. You hope that it’s just due to the adrenaline wearing off and not another injury that you have yet to feel or notice.


This continues on until the fifth city block that is mysteriously deserted, and you start to slow down. You don’t see anyone chasing you, be it ghostly or otherwise. You start glancing around, just to see if the waitress has followed you out. There’s no sign of her, whether fleeing in terror or pursuing in obsessive madness. The sunlight is starting to beat down, and an odor is rising to your nose. ...And still, no shocked crowd to beg for assistance, no cop nearby, and not even a public payphone. ...Not that you recall the last time you saw one of those. You’re starting to contemplate just how far you’re going to have to run to find anyone. Where did everyone go?


“Stop right there!” You turn right in place and find your face inches away from the muzzle of yet another weapon pointed right at your face. This one is different; you don’t even need to try to count the number of spirals on the inside of that barrel, especially considering that you can probably fit your eyeball inside. “Put down the angel and step away from her!”


...Didn’t she not like being called that? Your memory is a little fuzzy after all of this, but you believe that was the gist of one of her complaints. Even so, you step backwards and lay her down. Somewhere behind the massive gun, you see a woman in a police uniform and long red hair giving you a steely glare as you comply with her commands. “You need to call for some help quick, alright? She’s lost a lot of blood and has been shot too many times.”


The moment you step away, the woman kneels down and looks at the crimson-winged girl at her feet, her hands darting out to feel underneath her chin and on her wrist before palpating various other areas on her body. As she continues to work with her right hand, the left one goes down to a walkie-talkie and rings it up. “Smith, copy. We have retrieved Mai and the perp. Mai is injured severely; perp has been bloodied but he’ll walk it off.”


“...Hey! What’s this about a perp?” She turns her eyes back towards you, and you immediately snap your jaw shut. “...Carry on.”


“Come to my coordinates ASAP. PC-98 Officer is down. Immediate evac is required.” With her orders done, she turns her attention back to Mai, removing your ruined garment and beginning to fashion up proper tourniquets from a pouch on her side. “Don’t think of going anywhere, perp. Smith is going to want to have a few words with you once she gets here.”


“...Would you mind telling me where she has been? I did try to call her, but she never responded when I did.” You let out a sigh of frustration as you watch the officer continue to wrap up Mai and tend to her. “We could have used her help before. ...Or, at least, we could have gotten Mai out sooner.”


“I can’t speak for her circumstances when you did ring, but the moment that PC-98 found out about the incident, we were on site as soon as possible and evacuating the surrounding structures.” She glances up at you for one moment as she puts a splint on Mai’s wing. “All buildings within a ten-block radius were evacuated. We couldn’t risk a ghost hopping to another building and taking advantage of an unsuspecting resident and continuing their crime spree… or escaping undetected. There is a further voluntary evacuation zone extending farther out; right now, only PC-98 is even in this area.”


“...It is?” You look around at the vacant streets. “That explains a few things.”


“Indeed. I was waiting to take a good shot and evacuate you. That is our priority now that you have escaped?”


“Shouldn’t you be rescuing the others?”


“You need to be removed from the hot zone before one of your guests finds out. Considering recent events, Smith felt it wise to do that before they involve themselves and complicate the remaining rescue attempts.” You hear a small rumble in the distance and when you look up, you see the same van that you’ve seen too much of in the past few days. “There she is right now. Prepare to leave. They’ll be depositing you at your home after your wounds are tended to.”


[ ] Ask if she’ll be ok.
[ ] Agree, go along with the plan.
[ ] Disagree; insist on going with Mai.
[ ] Insist that you’ll get home without help.
[ ] Write-in
 No. 192232
[X] Ask if she’ll be ok.
[X] What could you even do...? All you've caused her is pain. Just apologize and let her go where she needs to
 No. 192234
[X] Ask if she’ll be ok.
[X] Agree, go along with the plan.

We've done enough.
 No. 192237
[x] Insist on going with Mai
-[x] Her wounds are mai- I mean, my fault. As meaningless as this is, it's the least I can do.
 No. 192244
[X] Ask if she’ll be ok.
 No. 192246
[X] Ask if she’ll be ok.
[X] Disagree; insist on going with Mai.
 No. 192249
[x] Disagree; insist on going with Mai.
Not yet.
 No. 192250
[X] Ask if she’ll be ok.
[X] Agree, go along with the plan.

I think we've had enough heroics for one day; time to leave it to the professionals.
 No. 192251
File 147824306190.png - (100.04KB, 306x331, would this be under different circumstances.png) [iqdb]
192251
[x] Ask if she’ll be ok.
[x] Agree, go along with the plan.
I flipped a coin to break the tie


~e++e~


“...Is… She going to be ok?” You rub the back of your head as you remain awkwardly in place. You really do want to help, but this is one field that you are admittedly ignorant in; what could you do to help, even if so? You’ve tried to help enough as it is.


The redhead eventually shrugs and looks up. “She should survive, at the least. Her morphology isn’t the same as humans like yourself. ...So don’t worry yourself over it too much.”


It’s not like you could stop yourself from doing that. Still, you resist the urges to hover and fret over Mai and instead watch her continue to work. Every motion is short and methodical, speaking with years of practice. Just… Who is this girl supposed to be? If she’s with Mai’s group, then wouldn’t that mean that she is fromthere as well? The thought lingers for a few moments before you shrug it off. Could just be a liason like Smith for all I know. Either way, it’s not like I need to be making small talk right now.


Instead, you turn your attention to the van that is finally stopping on the street corner. It only takes you a second to start moving, your moment of helpless yielding to the desire to do something: even if that something is as simple as opening a door and getting a spot ready for her in the back of that van. Your assumed labor is quickly rendered pointless as the back doors of the van fly open and a tall woman with red hair and in a red uniform leaps out of the back of the truck. “Mai! Where is she?” She looks around wildly before brusquely dashing past you and kneeling next to the other officer. “...She going to be ok, Ko? I haven’t seen her this bad since the shrine maiden got a hold of her.”


The officer looks up at the larger woman and shakes her head. “Stop worrying about it for now; she’ll live. Just get her in the back of the van and strap her in.” Before the long-haired redhead even finishes, the short-haired redhead scoops up Mai and winces at the sight in her arms. “Ain’t right… You’re going to be ok there, kid. You better hear me.” A huge sniff rips through the air as the taller woman shakes her head clear and immediately runs back into the van.


For your part, you’re just left standing there as the officer grabs her equipment and assists the other woman with Mai. Behind you, you hear the window roll down, and you see the familiar face of Smith as she peeks over her glasses. “Hrm. ...You’re in better shape than I expected you to be.” She takes a moment to push up her glasses. “You are fine and not just about to collapse, correct?”


“...Yeah. Just exhausted myself, but I’m fine, especially compared to Mai.”


Smith’s eyes look away for a second before she shakes her head. “Hrm. ...Come and join me up here, then. I’m sure you have something you want to say.”


“Wait, but what about…” You trail off, as there’s not much you could do in the back save watch her lay there. That, and you shouldn’t waste anymore time than already has been. “Alright.”


As you walk around the van, you spy the taller redhead come out and approach the window. “Shouldn’t we be accompanying you?”


“We still need you to be here to cordon the area, Sara. Other Personnel Containment units will be arriving to back you up, but until then, you’re on your own here.” Smith reaches up and takes her glasses off before folding the spectacles and hooking them in her collar. “I am certain that none of these ghosts will be escaping, and that any that try will be found?”


A bit of a grin finally crosses the otherwise dour face, “I believe that’s something I can do.” She smacks her hands together and— wait, you swear you just saw a shock wave right there. Noticing your attention, Sara finally looks up and acknowledges you. The mirth fades from her face as she examines you. “...You the one who threw all of those guns in the tree?”


“Well, I threw one, but—”


“Good call on that. I managed to get a hold of those things while the bakebake were distracted by you and Ko.” After a moment’s awkward pause, the girl shrugs and turns to head to the back. “It’ll make everyone’s life a little bit easier now.” ...Still, you’re left to wonder what she meant. You’re rather certain you only threw one out…


Either way, you circle around to the other side of the van’s cab before climbing in, wincing a bit as your cuts stretch while you climb up. The vinyl seat is definitely uncomfortable against your bare back, and you already feel yourself sticking even before you put your seatbelt on. Once you’re in, Smith cranks the van and, with one check of a mirror followed by the slam of the rear doors, she gives the van gas and lets it lurch down the roadway. And, now, you’re left with her in an awkward silence as the van trundles along toward its location. ...What is there to even say?


[ ] Write in.


And I love it when danbooru has the exact expression of a relatively obscure character that I was looking for.
 No. 192252
[X] So, uhh... What's your name?

Let's break the ice a little heavily and awkwardly, like a polar bear. Or a walrus. Definitely a walrus.
 No. 192253
[X] Apologize. You tried to be a hero and got a real hero hurt bad. You also learned that dangley ghost tongues are as ghostly as you'd expect.

>>192252

Well, at least we aren't going orca on the ice.
 No. 192254
File 147825859070.png - (198.73KB, 448x532, xfiles-moulder-skully-fbi-lol-1329086299N.png) [iqdb]
192254
[x] Apologize. You refused to play ball and got in over your head, hurting someone who actually knew what the fuck she was doing.

Yknow, while I expected this MC to screw everything up, I wasn't thinking so... metaphorically.
 No. 192256
[X] How often do these kind of things happen?
 No. 192257
[X] So, uhh... What's your name?
 No. 192259
[X] So, uhh... What's your name?
 No. 192261
[X] Apologize. You refused to play ball and got in over your head, hurting someone who actually knew what the fuck she was doing.
 No. 192268
File 147833630830.jpg - (125.67KB, 850x1063, i thought i learned my lesson last time i did non.jpg) [iqdb]
192268
[x] So, uhh... What's your name?
[x] How often do these kind of things happen?
[x] Apologize. You tried to be a hero and got a real hero hurt bad. You also learned that dangley ghost tongues are as ghostly as you'd expect.
[x] Apologize. You refused to play ball and got in over your head, hurting someone who actually knew what the fuck she was doing.


~f++f~


After a few minutes on the road, you reach up and rub your arm, awkwardly massaging a cut as you do. You’re desperate for something to break the furious silence that is inundating you right now; you’re half sure that she is ready to chew you out… Not that you can see anything in the corner of her eyes that suggest that. It might just be your paranoia speaking, but it still isn’t the most wonderful feeling.


Either way, you finally motivate yourself to venture into conversation. “So, uhh…” Smith hums a little bit in recognition and quirks an eyebrow. “...What is your name? I don’t think you ever did tell me.”


“Hrm?” She glances over at you for a moment; thankfully, the streets are still empty enough to spare that attention. “I must have forgotten to mention. I’m Smith; Agent Smith is my official title.”


“Erm…” You look back foward at the road. “But… What’s your first name?”


“Agent.”


“...I was actually asking, you know…”


The blonde laughs a little and shakes her head. “I had hoped you would have figured out that Smith is an assumed name.”


“...Well, I hadn’t put that much thought into it..” You feel your ears burn red as she rebukes you. “But why would you need that?”


“Perhaps you’ll find out one day, but that really isn’t pertinent. Do you know someone else named Smith?”


“Well, no.”


“Then just continue to use that name. That should work for now.”


You bite the inside of your cheek before nodding. “So, is this a common occurrence? I don’t remember hearing about incidents quite this bad on the news.”


“This sort of thing? It could be worse; most of the time, when it’s a physical threat, it can be handled with a lot more subtlety.” Smith snorts. “Besides, do you know how much paperwork this is going to cause once this whole mess is cleaned up? The quicker and smoother the crime is wrapped up, the better.”


Well, that figures. “Still, it’s across the entire country. How do you keep it hushed up?”


“We don’t.” Smith shakes her head and shrugs, putting a hand up, bemused. “What can I say? There are just so many beings that the populace at large is fascinated by. We do not encourage the news cycle to focus on something else.”


“...Saying it that way makes me think you do, you know.”


“I hardly have that level of influence. ...But it is more due to our success in preventing any major mishaps, so far.”


“...So far.”


“Statistics ” Smith turns onto another road as she hurries along. For as much of a hurry you’re in, she’s actually driving quite well; there’s certainly not been any turns that might jostle the cargo in the back.


Your mind drifts off again. There was so much more you could have done. At the very least, you could have done more to help Mai and keep her in better shape than she already was. Right now… Who knows when she’ll wake back up. Or, indeed, if that’d be an if at this point.


“Go on.” You glance back at Smith. She doesn’t seem to be paying attention to you ,but… “You look like you’re ready to jump out the window and beg me to run you over. Don’t do that; I just had to get the wheels and tires fixed.”


“...It’s just…” You slump and look outside, really not wanting to meet her eyes. “...I screwed up. I tried… I was trying to help or distract them. I didn’t believe that they would do any of the things that they can do. I thought I was distracting them like they were Merlin or Myon. I never did think they would shoot her. And when I tried to get you…” You feel yourself burning with shame; it’s enough to make your ears practically catch fire. “They just did it again. She was just laying there and I was trying to keep her from bleeding and nothing worked. They would just keep shooting and loving it.”


Smith sighs as she turns the corner. “I’m hardly the one you should be apologizing to.”


“But, still, she’s your officer. I needed to let you know what happened. Why she was nearly…”


Smith shakes her head. “You can file a proper report later. Did they fire on her because she lacked the immunity that cross-civilization interaction bestowed?”


“...Pretty much. Although, they did it so that I would listen to them and follow their demands.”


“Criminal aliens will take advantage of whatever outlet they can get. Gensokyo is renowned for its straight-forward handling of disputes. ...What’s more concerning is that they were using outsider weapons.” After a pause, Smith shakes her head. “Or not. Bakebake are known to be extraordinarily weak. It just raises other questions, however.”


In response, you just nod, still avertng your eyes. “I just… I screwed up so bad. If Mai were fine, she could have helped us. Helped more than I could have, especially. If I hadn’t gotten her shot…”


“What are you expecting me to say? You screwed up.” The blonde shrugs again as she drives. “From what it sounds like, if you hadn’t realized that, she may not have been shot. Were you completely responsible?”


“No…? They came in guns blazing. Mai shoved me over the counter and took a hit.. I’m not sure if it was aimed for me, or if it was at her to start with. But, after that point? If I hadn’t been such an idiot…”


“They likely were firing at her. So, Mai may have been chosen as a target either way.”


“...I could have done something to better protect both of us.”


“You could have.” Smith nods, and you feel your stomach drop. “Not that I would have expected you to.”


You stare out the window a bit more before drooping. “So what now?”


“Now? We’re on the way to the hospital to deliver Mai.” She glances back to you after a little bit. “Wait for her to wake up. Then go and apologize to her then. ...If it goes well, you might need to book a hospital room for the night.”


“...I’m not sure I would want to do that.”


“She’d likely come to find you if you didn’t.”


That seems to be a reoccurring problem you’ve gained. “Of course. ...And I would, no matter what.”


“Good.” Smith tilts her head. “If you think you can manage, I can stop here; it’s close to your home, and you don’t look too badly injured. There’s only a few minor cuts and bruises that need to be tended to and bandaged.”


You frown and look back at her. “Don’t we need to get Mai there ASAP?”


She does roll her eyes and look at the ceiling as she gives another shrug. “It’ll just be a quick stop. And besides, it’ll save me on so much paperwork, if it isn’t a problem?” ...Is she really trying to pull this again?


[ ] Decline.
-[ ] You need to be treated by a professional.
-[ ] You want to be near just in case.
-[ ] Even now, yo ucan’t give Smith the satisfaction.
-[ ] If she's going to put you in a hospital, you'd rather be in said hospital already.
[ ] Accept.
-[ ] Just to get out of their hair.
-[ ] It’s not a big deal, and you can’t help Mai anymore.
-[ ] She can pull that excuse. Just this once.
-[ ] Let Mai come to you when she's not wounded and feeling vulnerable.
 No. 192269
[X] She can pull that excuse. Just this once.
-[X] Let Mai come to you when she's not wounded and feeling vulnerable.
 No. 192273
[X] Accept.
-[X] She can pull that excuse. Just this once.
-[X] Let Mai come to you when she's not wounded and feeling vulnerable.
 No. 192275
[x] Decline
-[x] you don't make "quick stops" when someone is bleeding to death.

We seem to want to apologize to Mai later for getting her shot. I don't really want to try explaining to her why we thought getting our uninjured self home was a higher priority than getting her to the hospital.
 No. 192277
File 147836456926.png - (731.01KB, 1280x709, fucking immortal.png) [iqdb]
192277
-[x] She can pull that excuse. Just this once. Didn't she just said that she's not the one you should be apologizing to?

[x] Decline.
-[x] You want to be near just in case.
-[x] Call your house asap. Just in case.
--[x] Ask Smith why didn't she pick up your emergency call, and if there's a number you can call in case of emergencies that doesn't leave you hanging.

Hey, if she's gonna die, he has to be there; and if she isn't, then she may need someone to vent on. If Yukari wants her to be that person then by all means.
Also, he should call home. Not like they'd pick up anyway, but he can leave a message or something.
 No. 192279
[x] Decline.
[x] You want to be near just in case
[x] Call your house asap. Just in case.
 No. 192329
[X] Let Mai come to you when she's not wounded and feeling vulnerable.
 No. 192340
File 147851037829.jpg - (198.88KB, 512x756, yall realize what im doing here yes.jpg) [iqdb]
192340
[x] Decline.
-[x] You want to be near just in case.
-[x] Call your house asap. Just in case.
--[x] Ask Smith why didn't she pick up your emergency call, and if there's a number you can call in case of emergencies that doesn't leave you hanging.


~g++g~





“You know what? I think I’ll pass on that offer.”


“Will you, now?” The blonde smirks a bit before affixing her eyes on the road. “Very good. I’m certain that she’ll be most enthused by your sacrifice .”


“I doubt anything will be happening anytime soon. It’s not as if I can fix things. She just has the higher priority right now. We need to get her to the hospital as soon as possible; there’s no time to stop for me.” You shrug your shoulders and look outside. “Besides, it wouldn’t hurt for me to be looked over. I don’t want to get gangrene and lose a limb because I didn’t have a wound properly treated, either.”


“Hrm… The smart choice.”


“Even so… I want to call home. The girls don’t know where I am, after all. And I’ve been gone way too long. I told them I’d be gone for a little while, not for…” You shake your head. “Anywho, I need to call them, and the sooner the better.”


Smith nods slightly and reaches into her right pocket, handing her phone over to you. “Here you go.” You take it from her, wincing a little bit as you stretch to grab it. “I’ll have you know that I did inform them that I was holding you up, earlier. Nothing too serious, mind, but they did know you wouldn’t be back for a little while.”


“You went out of your way to do that?”


Smith inclines her head. “Naturally. Although, it was intended to keep them from being involved more than it was anything else, mind.”


At least she’s being honest with you right now. You open up her phone and begin searching for the button to call. It’s not quite the same as you’re used to, after all. There’s too many physical buttons. “So… first. Quick question.”


“Shoot.”


“Is there any way to contact you if I have that sort of trouble again? I did try to contact you, but when I called you, it went straight to your voicemail; I couldn’t get through.”


“It’s possible, I suppose.” Smith lowers her glasses and shoots you a look. “Mind, that was my liaison work number. I only clock in at certain times, and when I have something to do with my other lines of work, I turn it off as those calls can be returned immediately following.” She pushes the glasses back up as she continues to steer. “After all, all of the charges are, for the most part, low risk. Any mishap that would otherwise occur can wait until normal business hours.” She pauses and tilts her head. “Then again, it might not be, depending on how I feel. Sometimes I leave it on after hours, and sometimes I simply leave it in the care of the rest of my team.”


...Slightly typical, but it is a government job. “Still.. . What if it is an emergency that we can’t wait for?”


“That? It’s simple; you call emergency services; they have the appropriate contact information to locate me in the event that an emergency does crop up. Which is what happened today.”


You grumble and look out the window. You can’t be too far from the hospital at this point, can you? “Still, if you had been…”


She hums to herself as she mulls her answer. “I do remember the various forms; there wasn’t a bodyguard contract in there.” Chuckling in spite of herself, Smith does offer, “I can make the arrangements later, though. I did not anticipate this level of trouble, though it might have been expected.”


“Right.” Granted, with your phone gone as well, it’s not as if you could add it right now, anyways. Your finger finally floats over the correct button and hits it, bringing up the home phone number. After it rings a few times, you finally hear the click as someone picks up the receiver.


“Hi there! Is this Smith? You still out there shmoozing with Honey?”


...Great. Of course she’d pick up. “No, Merlin. It’s me.”


“Oh, great!” At least someone sounds like she’s gotten better. “So, you done being her bag holder today?”


“What, no, I…” You shoot a look over at Smith, who is pointedly not looking at you. ...Which is probably a good thing, considering that she’s driving. “No, nothing like that. Seriously, hadn’t you been watching the news?”


“No, of course not. That little half-ghost has had it on cooking shows all day, and she’s been a little obsessed; she’s practically worshipping the thing. ...You know, same as she did before.” There’s a brief pause, and you think you hear her relating that you’ve called to one of the other residents. “So, what happened?”


“There was a shooting. We’re currently on the way to the hospital.”


“...Wow, you must have gotten banged up pretty bad. ...Hrm. But you don’t sound like you’ve had it beaten out of you, either.”


“It wasn’t me that got hurt, well, bad. Either way, we’re on the way there.”


“I gotcha, wait.” There’s a brief conversation, and the geist comes back on. “Wait, did Smith put you up to it or something?”


“No, no, it just happened when I met with Mai to get my papers.”


“...Met with who, now?”


“Not the time…” You sigh and pinch your nose. “Just that I met one of Smith’s employees to get my paperwork, and then a large gang of idiot ghosts came in and start shooting up the place. Hurt her real bad, so when we got out, we immediately left for the hospital.”


“...Oh.” An odd tone lingers on her voice. However, even so, you hear a thump followed by the phone hitting the table. The sound of a short kerfuffle echo through the receiver, followed by the slam of a door a few seconds afterwards. Eventually, the line is picked back up. “Eh… Sorry about that. ...Seems the goddess thought we were at fault… I imagine there’s a whirlwind incoming, though..”


To your side, you hear Smith let out a sigh of frustration. You resist the urge to point out that the reason you were meeting might be part of the assault. “Alright, well, thanks for the warning.” With that you just hang up and set the phone next to you before awaiting to arrive.


~g++g~


Eventually, you do make it to the hospital and you can only watch as Mai is rushed into a waiting room so that she can be sewn back up. You’re left in the stinging treatment of another physician’s assistant as your thirteen lacerations are cleaned and, in four cases, are stitched back up. Smith vanishes early in the episode, although you’re not sure whether it is into the emergency room or to some other corner of the hospital or, indeed, if it’s to avoid whoever is going to join you, soon.


Either way, after a few hours, you are finally clean, bandaged, and sutured, and you are finally given your leave. You’re a little ginger from all of the poking and prodding that has been going on, but manage to move fine enough. You do go and inquire about Mai, but it seems that she is out cold still; she definitely isn’t going to be waking anytime soon, and she’s not being permitted visitors anyway.


The white corridors twist as you manage to snake your way through, back to the lobby so that you can wait. And, as you do that, you find that a familiar woman with green hair has taken a spot in the far corner, hands folded calmly in her lap as she waits.


[ ] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.
[ ] It might not be best to stay around here. Take a walk… outside, while you wait.
[ ] Perhaps Mai’ll be awake


[ ] How do you address this?
 No. 192342
[X] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.

Is that Merlin's sister? They look so alike! Fancy Layla being here!

[X] Ask what she's in here for.
 No. 192343
File 147851339938.jpg - (251.07KB, 748x900, How.jpg) [iqdb]
192343
>>192342

I think it's Hina.
 No. 192345
>>192343

So what? There are many green-haired characters. Just because Hina's the only one to show up so far doesn't mean none of the others can.

Maybe we had ties to Mima before the start of this. Who knows?
 No. 192346
File 147851689149.jpg - (241.57KB, 567x800, R5BWMkk.jpg) [iqdb]
192346
>Y'all realize what I'm doing here, right?

Uh, not really. I think I either don't know the source material enough or I'm too slow.

[x] Sit next to her
[x] Explain what happened factually, but try to minimize the situation
-[x] A group of ghostly thugs appeared, they couldn't harm you so you decided to resist and got someone hurt in your stead. Then a group of special agents saved your bacon and now you're here.

Uh, should I add an apology here or that's a given? I mean, he has people to take care of and we decided to go all Rambo anyway.
 No. 192350
It's Hina time again yes!

[X] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.
 No. 192351
>>192342

By the way, Hina hasn't green hair colour. In her canon design She has aquamarine hair what is a light blue colour type.
 No. 192355
[X] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.
 No. 192356
[X] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.
 No. 192360
>>192351
Technically, aquamarine is blue-green. The gemstone proper tends to pure blue.

Though, I understand; I'm rather sure that Letty has lavender hair, but tends to be shown as either blue or purple.

>>192346
Well, don't worry too much. Nothing major right now.

And, just to point out, we might be skipping a bit of time here soonish, unless there is a vehement opposition.
 No. 192364
File 147855923167.jpg - (96.64KB, 660x300, levendula_lepke.jpg) [iqdb]
192364
>>192360
You're right aquamarine is blue-green but you use green colour even if it isn't her real hair and eye colour. About Letty, she has lavender eyes and curly lavender hair. And the lavender is purple. Like this picture.
 No. 192365
File 147856279455.jpg - (110.14KB, 850x601, Meddling kids.jpg) [iqdb]
192365
>>192364

Well, Mokou has the faintest pink hair, but people only ever draw it silver or white. Koishi's hair is that odd greenish blueish whatever, yet people draw grey, gray and green. Satori's ranges from purple to pink, and Remilia's ranges from white to blue to purple.

As such, it's generally easier to just not assume as to what particular shade a character's hair is in a fan work. Artistic license mixed with the artistic license of the art of others leads to unreliability.

Heck, some people draw Reimu's hair brown, or Marisa's hair blonde!

We all know they're purple and red respectively, right?

 No. 192366
>>192364
In the end, I refer to it as green because it is the primary component (the hex code for aquamarine always has a higher green count than blue; a standard one would be 7FFFD4). It isn't completely accurate, but the color is a shade of green. It's not emerald, viridian, olive, or anything else, but it is green.

So yes, her hair and eyes are green.

In the end, that makes it easier for the reader to envision it as they desire; especially as they have a different mental image of her than I do. I typically associate her in opposition to the Aki's and their autumn tones and Nitori and her blue, if just due to her position in her game. That's my bias, of course, but I'm staying very general to keep it simple and accurate. Besides, how many green-haired girls might our unfortunate anon know?
 No. 192375
>>192365
>We all know they're purple and red respectively, right?

W...what? Has my lack of PC98 knowledge finally come to haunt me?

 No. 192380
[X] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.
 No. 192381
192366

I see. I'm sorry Headwing my last words. I didn't know it's a shade of green. But still a beautiful colour isn't it? I like this blue and green mix.
 No. 192387
I'll go ahead and echo:

[x] Sit next to her
[x] Explain what happened factually, but try to minimize the situation
-[x] A group of ghostly thugs appeared, they couldn't harm you so you decided to resist and got someone hurt in your stead. Then a group of special agents saved your bacon and now you're here.


She'll find out sooner or later, better be upfront with Hina right away.
 No. 192388
>>192375

Yup! In Story of Eastern Wonderland, Marisa had short red hair and red eyes. The entire length of PC-98, Reimu was purple/purple, and had loooong hair. Like, bright purple.
 No. 192389
After seeing this debate on hair colour, I apologise for completely missing who Hina was. I'm admittedly really bad at this.
The sad thing is that I was being serious.
 No. 192422
[X] Take a spot next to her. Nowhere to go that quickly.
 No. 192429
File 147885482746.jpg - (390.52KB, 800x800, although now a bluenette Hina just to confuse thin.jpg) [iqdb]
192429
[x] Sit next to her
[x] Explain what happened factually, but try to minimize the situation
-[x] A group of ghostly thugs appeared, they couldn't harm you so you decided to resist and got someone hurt in your stead. Then a group of special agents saved your bacon and now you're here.


~h++h~


After sighing, you walk over to her corner of the waiting room and sit down next to Hina. She looks up at you as you approach, and offers a small smile as she spies you. “I see that you have fixed yourself up.” Her eyes linger on your arms, at least where they stick out from the hospital-provided gown. “I was worried when they would not inform me as to the extent of what occurred.”


“You aren’t my next-of-kin, so they probably couldn’t provide that.” You take a moment and just look down at the floor as you contemplate what to say. “...It wasn’t too bad. It was only surface wounds from shattering glass. I probably pulled a few muscles and bruised myself, but nothing too terrible.”


“Just slightly terrible?” You feel the eyes of the goddess on you. “That’s not quite the reassuring turn of phrase...” Hina trails off, and silence lingers over both of you, if just for a moment. “It is frustrating. ...Why did you not attempt to call for help?”


“I didn’t even get the chance.” You shake your head. “It was pure happenstance. Ghosts attacked and wanted to create a scene in order to make a series of demands. It just happened to be the same location that Mai and I were discussing the papers. She kept me out of harms way, even as she sacrificed herself. ...It was because of that along with some stupid decisions that lead to her being shot like that. ...I did try to call for help, but I sought Smith first; I figured she would be there.”


“So, it just… happened?” Her voice quavers for a second, and her eyes fall into the shade of her shimmering hair.


“We were just in the wrong place in the wrong time. They couldn’t harm me for all of the same reason as other magical beings can’t harm humans. It’s a legal restriction, and they didn’t want to break the law too much. ...I tried to defy them and then call home, just to let you all know. I didn’t expect them to just shoot my phone; I thought that would be too close to risking me. ...And, since they couldn’t do anything to me because of it, they went and hurt Mai instead.” You continue to inspect the tile on the floor, finding designs and spirals in the randomized flakes of color. “Then, if it wasn’t for a crazy girl with bat wings showing up, along with the rest of Smith’s agents, well… Things could have been very terrible. ...But it wasn’t, at least for me.”


Hina maintains her own aversion from your sight, looking away. “Then what are you planning on now? You do not appear anxious to leave.”


“...Not really. I mean, I am frightened by what she will say when she wakes up, but… I do feel like I need to be here. I just hope that it will be soon, is all.”


For a few moments, Hina says nothing at all. Her fingers eventually lace together as she bows her head. “That is… good, at least. And the other member’s of Smith team should be here?”


“Yeah, I imagine? Especially once they finish up. And Smith will be kept informed, either way, so there are others here.” You frown and turn back to Hina. “I’m surprised that you didn’t seek them out and ask.”


“I was more concerned about… other injuries.” Hina lets out a breath before standing up in one fluid motion. “I believe that I should be on my way, back, though.”


“You’re more than welcome to stay, you know.”


“...Just. You described these events that ended up with you targeted as merely happening by chance or surprise?”


Yeah, I suppose. There was no sign at all that anything was going t happen.”


“...So, you might say you were merely unfortunate.”


“I, well…” You freeze in your tracks and look up, meeting her in the eye. “Wait, you’re not blaming yourself for all of this.”


“Well, there was no chance this should have happened, right?” Hina is examining the seat cushioning to her right as she speaks quietly. “If was simply chance, then it likely isn’t the case.”


“You weren’t even close to us, wherever they were. ...Unless, of course, you were following me around.”


“I did nothing of the sort. But considering the amount of misfortune I gathered last night… What if I allowed an excessive buildup in you while I was attending to the poltergeist? It could be that, or even just by being within my general proximity. Either way… I do not need to cause anymore accidents here, whether to other patients or to you.” With that, she turns and heads out to leave.


[ ] Wait; stay here. You want her to stay.
[ ] Just stay with her wherever she goes. She can’t wander too far.
[ ] Let her go; she satisfied her concerns.
[ ] Comment on how conceited it is to assume anything that goes wrong is her fault.
[ ] She assumes way too much. If anything’s to blame, it’s you.
[ ] Write-in.


Comments later…
 No. 192430
[X] Sure, maybe she started the event somehow, but that takes freewill away from the bakebake. Their actions were likely planned before that even happened, and it wasn't by misfortune that they came to you, it was by chance that you decided to go there. You decided to go there. You tried to be a hero. You called the wrong number and you were the one that made everything so much worse.
-[X] If she really thinks that, she's saying that not only does misfortune spreading cause misfortune, but it also changes history. Maybe the first shot landed because of it, maybe they found you because of it, but the problem isn't that she may have started a fire, but that you fanned it into a raging inferno.

Okay, I'm done. I'll let you guys do whatever with my vote. Condense it, expand it, ignore it...

I'm sick of her blaming herself, so let's throw logic at her.
 No. 192431
[X] Sure, maybe she started the event somehow, but that takes freewill away from the bakebake. Their actions were likely planned before that even happened, and it wasn't by misfortune that they came to you, it was by chance that you decided to go there. You decided to go there. You tried to be a hero. You called the wrong number and you were the one that made everything so much worse.
-[X] If she really thinks that, she's saying that not only does misfortune spreading cause misfortune, but it also changes history. Maybe the first shot landed because of it, maybe they found you because of it, but the problem isn't that she may have started a fire, but that you fanned it into a raging inferno.

Umm... Sure.

[X] Comment on how conceited it is to assume anything that goes wrong is her fault.

If the top one doesn't count as this, I'm putting this in here anyway. If Hina were a male manga protag, this is the time the female lead slaps her and tells her to man up.
 No. 192437
Uh, all votes seems to be just like the default options more or less.

[x] Comment on how conceited it is to assume anything that goes wrong is her fault.
[x] She assumes way too much. If anything’s to blame, it’s you
[x] Explain at length the, uh, b.o.o.b. Attack on the dinner.

Wait what the heck was his reaction to "why didn't you call"? We did call home! It ringed several times! Why didn't they answer? Should she get a cellphone?
 No. 192439
[X] Sure, maybe she started the event somehow, but that takes freewill away from the bakebake. Their actions were likely planned before that even happened, and it wasn't by misfortune that they came to you, it was by chance that you decided to go there. You decided to go there. You tried to be a hero. You called the wrong number and you were the one that made everything so much worse.
-[X] If she really thinks that, she's saying that not only does misfortune spreading cause misfortune, but it also changes history. Maybe the first shot landed because of it, maybe they found you because of it, but the problem isn't that she may have started a fire, but that you fanned it into a raging inferno.
 No. 192440
[x] Comment on how conceited it is to assume anything that goes wrong is her fault.
[X] Mention B.O.O.B to slightly raise the mood
[X] Finish off with Smith's mention of these events happening often.
 No. 192444
>>192437
Here I thought I had it right. And you're correct. Damnation; that's what I get for forcing out an update so late.

I messed that one up; sorry. I'll try to make corrections in the next post, unless consensus wants me to redo the previous.
 No. 192504
When come the next part?
 No. 192745
Headwing?
 No. 192752
>>192745
Sorry. Been busy and was sick last week; The times I've had to write I've not had the motivation, and I don't want to give you all something subpar.

My beta's been harpy-ing on me, though. I'll continue soon.
 No. 192753
File 147987783821.jpg - (180.93KB, 850x1012, Chickies!.jpg) [iqdb]
192753
>>192752

Harpy is happy! Happy is... harpy? Happy...? Harpy...?
 No. 192766
>>192745

Oh that's great to hear that you're fine Headwing :). You're doing a good job I like your story you know. And I very want to know when will be the romance show up and what will come. Oh I'm so excited!
 No. 193052
Where is it?
 No. 193053
>>193052
I was so excited for a brief moment.
 No. 193055
>>193053

It'll happen some time soon, he's just been a bit busy. I think his efforts in NaNoWriMo disheartened him just a bit. Been pecking him now and then.
 No. 193061
>>193055
What happened in NaNoWriMo? His entry didn't win?
 No. 193085
>>193061
It wasn't that. Just got off schedule, forced an update, and felt it wasn't good. And I've been busy enough that I didn't want to force out anything subpar.

Either way, will be an update tonight; I've finally taken care of most of issues IRL.
 No. 193086
>>193061
It wasn't that. Just got off schedule, forced an update, and felt it wasn't good. And I've been busy enough that I didn't want to force out anything subpar.

Either way, will be an update tonight; I've finally taken care of most of issues IRL.
 No. 193092
File 148109119378.png - (125.92KB, 369x504, just speak truth to power.png) [iqdb]
193092
[x] Sure, maybe she started the event somehow, but that takes freewill away from the bakebake. Their actions were likely planned before that even happened, and it wasn't by misfortune that they came to you, it was by chance that you decided to go there. You decided to go there. You tried to be a hero. You called the wrong number and you were the one that made everything so much worse.
-[x] If she really thinks that, she's saying that not only does misfortune spreading cause misfortune, but it also changes history. Maybe the first shot landed because of it, maybe they found you because of it, but the problem isn't that she may have started a fire, but that you fanned it into a raging inferno.


~i++i~


“...You know, it’s really conceited to assume that you are the sole cause.”


Hina reels back a little bit and whips her head up. “What are you talking about?”


“Because you’re just claiming that it is your fault only, and that rests with no others.” You shake your head and just look away. “I just had the understanding that you collected misfortune. You don’t generate this bad luck, and you don’t spread it unless intentionally.” A headache feels to be coming on, but you simply cross your arms and continue. “Just because terrible occurred does not mean that it is solely your fault. You did not actively intervene in this. You did not initially set this up. So, how do you think this happened, unless you’ve had an encounter with them and managed to set them up to carry out this attack.”


“I would never...” Hina balls her fists in her skirt. “Still, that doesn’t matter. Even if I was slightly involved in your presence there…”


“They would have carried out that attack, either way. And I chose to go there after I had left you. This wasn’t a pre-planned event that I had the night before. I was just waiting for the call and just found out about it.” Your shoulders slumped a bit as you continue. “ I screwed up, I made the call, I tried to be the hero. ...Or are you saying that none of those choices were my fault, for better or for worse?”


“It’s not that. It’s just that those choices would never have been made if I hadn’t put you in that position…”


“...You’re just speculating, Hina. I just know that I decided to go there. And they decided to attack that place at the same time.” You stroke your chin and look down at her. She seems rather contrite, and you find her eyes aren’t gauging anything but the state of the floor. Nice, spic, and span it is. “Are you claiming that you’re some kind of omnipotent god? Someone who can cause events days before they were planned?”


“Nothing of the sort. I am just a goddess of misfortune.”


“Well, to cause what you have described would have been to invoke some sort of power that can breach time. That’s what I was going to say.” You pinch your nose. “Or does nothing I ever say ever mean anything? Was my decision to take you in not of my own free will, but some unfortunate accident that will directly cause some misfortune down the line?”


“...No, of course not. All of the misfortune that I harvest only really affects something in the immediate time and place.” Hina seems to be rocking back and forth ever so slightly. “That’s why it typically causes bodily harm, as that is a simple type of misfortune.”


“Then it is not your fault when you something occurs in another time and place.” You shake your head and look around. “You’re just a woman that has a dangerous power. ...You treat it responsibly, and I understand that accidents happen. Even if you did cause some small part of it to occur, I deserve the blame far more than you do.” You sigh and squat down in front of her, and she turns her head to the side to still avoid you. “This is a big world, and you cannot be everywhere at once, even if it was your fault. ...And it’s much bigger than the home you previously had, so do not get discouraged over that alone.”


“...You really are going to insist that.” Hina finally sighs and looks back. “...I appreciate your sentiment. I do not agree with all of it…”


You sigh and shake your head. “Again… Is your ego that large? Or are your powers that frightening and terrible?”


“I would not judge them so bad… But I have avoided others so that they would not be affected by my collection.”


“Then that just shows that you’re the opposite. So stop being pitiful; you’re no attention wh- hog, and that’s all you’re trying to do here.”


Hina reaches up and wipes her eye. “...You’re quite certain of yourself, for a human.”


“What were you expecting? Torches, pitchforks, and the whole lot?”


The goddess deigns to ungracefully snort. “It would not be the first time.” She takes out a handkerchief from the folds of her dress before dabbing the rest away. Afterwards, she lets out a rather undignified honk from her nose. “Very well. I guess you make your own points.”


“I think that covers just about everything. Just don’t go and start assuming that you’re the sole cause for all of the world’s ills.” You finally stand back, stretching your legs as you do so from the squat you had been in. “...Are you really aware of how big it is?”


“Big enough that I have never seen its ends.”


You’re not sure if she’s being literal or metaphorical, but as you open your mouth to ask, you realize that the entire waiting room is staring at both you and the green-haired girl before you. The attendant at the check-in sends you a disapproving look before she turns to deny entry to the next person in line, and everyone else seems to be pointedly not looking in your general direction.


You may have raised your voice…


[ ] Go and step outside for a bit. Give everyone a break.
[ ] Stay here and continue to wait. You’re not awkward, they are.
[ ] Search for Mai; do something productive instead of sitting.
[ ] Proceed home; it’s enough for today.
 No. 193101
File 148111104069.jpg - (171.11KB, 850x850, Hapi day!.jpg) [iqdb]
193101
[X] Search for Mai; do something productive instead of sitting.

Have a Papi.
 No. 193102
[x] Step outside give everyone a break.

Poor MC. Hope he doesn't fall into despair... Although he seems confident enough to avoid regret becoming self pity. Let's hope it keeps that way
 No. 193117
[x] Proceed home; it’s enough for today.

Bored now.
 No. 193121
[X] Go and step outside for a bit. Give everyone a break.
 No. 193129
[X] Go and step outside for a bit. Give everyone a break.
 No. 193154
>>193117

I doubt the drama of nearly killing someone is meant to be fun.
 No. 193158
[X] Proceed home; it’s enough for today.
 No. 193168
[X] Go and step outside for a bit. Give everyone a break. Or
[X] Stay here and continue to wait. You’re not awkward, they are.
 No. 193193
[X] Proceed home; it’s enough for today.
 No. 193194
Every bump without an update physically hurts me
 No. 193195
>>193194

It's not even been a week. Bumps keep stories getting votes, which encourage the writer to write.
 No. 193199
File 148162234659.gif - (35.72KB, 470x470, emotions need to settle down.gif) [iqdb]
193199
[x] Go and step outside for a bit. Give everyone a break.


~j++j~


“...Yeah, let’s just… head outside.” You’re not going to stand around and let your antics continue to be the focus of everyone’s attention. That, and, you have to remind yourself, you need to be concerned about your current ward. It might not be the best thing to discuss personal matters, or her various… abilities in the middle of public. Part of you wonders if there is something true to that point about gossip traveling faster than light. And, if it is, it would likely also be a power one of these strange magical girls would have…


Ignoring that line of thought, you usher Hina to her feet. “Let’s just step outside. Need to clear our heads.” She nods her assent and follows you outside and into a small plaza outside the waiting room. Thankfully, neither you nor she receive too many stares as you depart the premises, at least for the while.


The sun casts a dark, rusty glow over the twilit buildings, with the few that protrude into its visage glowing in that odd, unnatural tone. “You know, I didn’t realize how late it was. ...Surprised it’s not quite nightfall, yet.”


“It’s not, really. How often does it sneak up on one when they thought it an eon away.”


“Trying to sound mystical or something?” You shake your head as her eyes cut toward you. “Well, it’s what you sound like. There’s no need to stand on station, you know.”


“Yes, I’m quite aware.” She sighs and shakes her head before stepping out. “...I honestly did not intend to try and take the blame out of some desire for attention.”


“I doubted you intended to. However, there are differences between intentions and results. I think we both know that a bit well.” After a moment, you rub the back of your head. “...Sorry for raising my voice. I didn’t mean to yell at you.”


“No offense taken. ...I have not been punctured by a pitchfork or other farming implement, so I suppose I can forgive you for that honest opinion.”


“I wouldn’t even know where to find one of those. Especially on this island…”


Hina tilts her head and looks back towards you. “I suppose it is rather built up.”


It takes a great deal of effort, but you manage to not roll your eyes. “That, and I’ve never been one to farm. It isn’t a passing hobby, after all.”


“It’s good to hear some type of levity in that voice.” She smiles ever so slightly. “Even if it is sarcasm directed towards me.”


“...I guess. Doesn’t change the facts.”


Hina pauses and examines the building behind her, for just a bit, before turning back towards you. “...Do you intend to stay, after all?”


“I’m not leaving until I find anything else out. And that’s just that.” You shrug before looking around for a little while; you find a bench nearby that offers a nice view of the concrete plaza, framed by the steel and glass buildings. There’s not a better offer, so you take it up and sit down on the cold metal. “It’s the very least I could do. Whatever trouble the other two may get up to… Well, they functioned on their own before. And the poltergeist can’t do anything as bad as she did to me, anyway. So there’s no reason to rush.” You look up a her. “What? Were you going to rush off, even so?”


“...I still don’t feel comfortable, you realize.” Hina’s eyes flit towards the door. “So many people, so many things that could go wrong if I mess up even a little bit.”


...Is it just the sheer number of people that she has a problem with? Or is it some prior experience that this is reminding her of? Maybe something else… “I can’t really make you stay, you know.”


“Can’t you? You are my host, currently. ...I’m not supposed to be wandering outside of your house or your sight, after all.”


“I’m just a human, and you’re a self-proclaimed goddess. I think I know my chances.”


Hina coughs gently before nodding. “Well, correct, but…” She bites her lip before, after a few more seconds of deliberation, she waltzes on over next to you and takes the next seat on the bench. “...I’ll perform my duties to the best of my ability, then.”


“I would expect nothing less.” You feel a bit of heat rise in your ears as she sits against you, but the goddess crosses her legs and primly folds the rest of her skirt down. “Want me to be quiet so you can focus on it?”


“...Probably be for the best.” For all of her propriety, you notice her biting the inside of her cheek while her finger fidgets with one of her ribbons. “...Don’t worry for my sake. Others do need it more.”


“...” You just keep your mouth shut and sit there, letting the events of the day roll back through your mind once more. It still seems so clear once you think of it. You can hear it so perfectly well, and you can practically smell it all over again. Even then, while your mind continues to work, your body finally gives in as the tides of adrenaline finally recede and what vigor you had left leaves you. Before you can even really tell, your head rolls back onto the facade of the building and your eyelids fall in time with the sun.


~j++j~


The brief respite of the dark is broken as you feel something long and blunt probing your gut. The first two pokes you’re barely cognizant of; by the fifth, you realize that a rather painful jab is forcing you back from Lethe’s grasp. “Huhwuh…”


As you finally open your eyes, you notice that your head has slipped at some point and seems to be resting on a relatively warm and soft object. The aquamarine tresses that you notice answer the question of who, but you’re too groggy at this point to even have the audacity to blush. Another stab of the arm makes you jump in place, and your head looks up.


...For some reason, you must never have woken up. If your eyes aren’t fooling you, you see a woman in a full kimono of faded purple who is standing on the wall. The long robes are hanging around you as a curtain would. Befuddled by the sight, you lower your head, following the dream woman out as she bends over at the waist. When you finally look straight ahead, you find yourself looking at the redheaded agent from earlier. She seems to be brandishing a long, extendable black sap.


You stare at her, and her exceptionally blank visage stares back at you. Before you can react, she interrupts your confusion by giving your gut one final tap.


“Yo.”


[ ] ...Yo?
[ ] Why are you here?
[ ] This isn’t a dream.
[ ] Did you catch them?
[ ] You’re here about Mai.
[ ] ...What’s with the getup?
[ ] How are you even…?
[ ] Write-in
 No. 193200
[x] This isn't a dream.
-[x] You're here about Mai

>you can smell it

Uh? What was that part all about?
 No. 193201
[X] Did you catch them?
-[X] You’re here about Mai.

>>193200

Best guess is blood and gunpowder. Assuming he wasn't just plain sniffing her unconscious form and we missed it.
 No. 193202
[X] ...Yo?
 No. 193206
[x] ...What’s with the getup?
 No. 193207
>>193201
Correct there; didn't quite make that clear.
 No. 193209
[X] Why are you here?
[X] Did you catch them?
[X] ...What’s with the getup?
 No. 193219
How she gather the negative energy in your story?
 No. 193220
[X] Did you catch them?
-[X] You’re here about Mai.
>>193219
Who? Hina? Doesn't she just spin here like she normally does to pull in misfortune?
 No. 193221
>>193199
Hoo boy. Is that Komachi, or have I completely failed at Touhou?

[X] Yo?
[X]-You're here for Mai.
 No. 193239
[X] ...Yo?
--[X] What's up?

We must always respond with a yo. Failure to do that is a failure of our extreme social skills.
 No. 193266
[X] Why are you here?
[X] Did you catch them?
[X] ...What’s with the getup?

193220
I didn't read in this story that she used spin when she gathering the negativ energy or when she fought with Merlin. It was sad that we couldn't see her when she fought. Maybe next time?
 No. 193309
(Less)fortunate Tidings >>193307


Thread Watcher x