-  [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return][Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject  (Reply to 53555)
Message
Captcha
File
Password (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM, WEBP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 133902026123.jpg - (620.28KB, 850x1201, sample_e0d2d39bcaa3624217b0ab5a0d1d65f7ec85c758.jpg) [iqdb]
53555No. 53555
You are Patchouli Knowledge, a physically frail and sickly magician of profound aptitude and power. You live in the Voile Archives of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, though you have constructed a tower elsewhere, without internal fixtures as yet, which you may or may not inhabit much. You are Friends with Remilia, the vampire who owns the mansion, who considers it entirely too much effort to try to feed off you. Your Magical Potency varies somewhat from day to day, depending on how long of an incantation you can manage before breaking off into a fit of coughs, and how much strain your body can handle in addition to the rigors of illness. You currently have a box of ninety five vials of Medication stored in the library to offset the worst of the days, however, though it will later exact a toll, and your new Magical Focus eases use of magic to a significant degree. It seems that Luck can play a reasonable part in keeping yourself healthy, though effects may vary, as can the Hakurei Hot Spring.

Your magic is based on Elementalism primarily, though you are also skilled in Diabolism and Other Summonings, which can be surprisingly versatile, particularly in combination with Golems. You can also create Homunculi, if you have the materials to hand. You do not have any suitable samples of the key ingredient, however.

You have just suffered an impressive loss against a shrine maiden, and have been strong-armed into an agreement which is not at all to your favor. Remilia seems terribly amused by the whole spectacle. You are not.

---

[ ] What do you do?
Expand all images
>>No. 53560
[x] Ask Sanae, unless she minds, what she has in mind for such requests.
-[x] If she ask why, pretend that it's simply to be prepared should she find a student. Not that you have any intention of letting her find one.
[x] Think. She intends to get favors with students. ONLY if you come get them yourself from the shrine. It won't be easy at all, but could you have someone 'kidnap' students from her?
[x] Check yourself. Can you even go get batteries Outside today in your state now?
>>No. 53561
[x] Ask Sanae, unless she minds, what she has in mind for such requests.
-[x] If she ask why, pretend that it's simply to be prepared should she find a student. Not that you have any intention of letting her find one.
[x] Think. She intends to get favors with students. ONLY if you come get them yourself from the shrine. It won't be easy at all, but could you have someone 'kidnap' students from her?
[x] Check yourself. Can you even go get batteries Outside today in your state now?

Godammit how did we end up doing something so foolish. The wrong spellcard, using Koakuma, extending the duel, everything went wrong.
>>No. 53563
[X] Ask Sanae what she has in mind for such requests.
-[X] If she asks why, pretend that it's simply to be prepared should she find a student. Not that you have any intention of letting her find one.
[X] Think. She intends to get favors with students. ONLY if you come get them yourself from the shrine. It won't be easy at all, but could you have someone 'kidnap' students from her?
[X] Check yourself. Can you even go get batteries Outside today in your state now?

This is why I voted to just give her the finger and leave.
>>No. 53564
>>53561
Clearly, whatever luck Tewi gave us is now gone.

Of course, now I pretty much expect that Yukari will open a portal to the Shrine directly on a student's path before he can change direction. But whatever. Sanae said
>One student from the shrine, one Favor from you.

So we're going to do everything we can to remove any student from the Shrine with any third party we can hire.

That is, if the Rules permit it. But I see no reason why it wouldn't.
>>No. 53565
I suppose another thing we can do is threaten every student with something like 500 point deduction, year worth of detention, etc. if they go through a portal, assuming they're still alive.
>>No. 53566
>>53565
Oh, I'm sure a notice of something like 'if you make me collect you from a green-haired shrine maiden, I'll make sur you'll regret not being devoured' will pass the message clearly.

Anyway, after next update, we could propose a deal to Marisa: we get that spirit out of the Hakkero now, she go kidnap any students from the shrine for this year.

Also, another thing noticed: Sanae never forced the issue of WHEN should students be traded once collected. Meaning we can take our time in planning the 'kidnappings'. Some people may complain if we delay too long, but screw them.
>>No. 53567
File 133903063099.png - (892.30KB, 850x956, sample_6f7cf1667d0f45ca4fc0adbc5799078d.png) [iqdb]
53567
[x] Ask Sanae, unless she minds, what she has in mind for such requests. Let her know that prior commitments such as actually teaching might cause problems if she simply demand things.

[x] Think. She intends to get favors with students. ONLY if you come get them yourself from the shrine. It won't be easy at all, but could you have someone 'kidnap' students from her?

[x] Unless she wants something else, negotiations is over. Is there anything else you need to do?

A loss is a loss. It's almost as if Patchy was fated to... lose. Damnit Remi!
>>No. 53568
>>53567
As Patchouli explained last update, the Favor has priority over everything, no matter how much conflict it creates. She could, say, ask us to kill Dumbledore and we would be forced to do it.
>>No. 53569
>>53568
She won't ask that. She won't ask anything approaching that. Sanae is not out to trick Patchy out of everything she holds dear, no matter what Patchy fears.

Don't piss her off (by, say, trying to send someone else to collect) and she won't be a bitch. Probably.
>>No. 53571
>>53569
>She won't...

No, you have no idea what she may asks. Sure, Sanae wouldn't have the space to store all the books, if it cames down to Patchouli's worst fear. But you seriously think we want to leave any chance of being forced to do any request?

What if she asks, say, to let her take our class time to teach about her Gods? What if she asks to help build and protect a branch shrine on the other side of a portal for the year? What if she asks us to attack something she would find 'evil' by her crazy standards when it's not?

Hell no, we are not going to let the chance of this happen.
>>No. 53572
>>53571
Every single thing you listed is a thing I want to see happen. How do you guys keep doing that? You're much better at figuring out what I want than I am.
>>No. 53573
>>53572
Well, it's what YOU want. I also have things I want. And neither of us will get what we want.
>>No. 53574
>>53571
If it's that bad, we should be able to find a loophole. God knows we found plenty during Koaquest, and those were people actually trying to get rid of any loopholes.
>>No. 53575
Told you guys you should have tried to negotiate instead of fight. Look where it got you. Patchy beat up lying in bed, while Sanae has Undeniable Favors which will force Patchouli to do whatever she wants for every child that she rescues. And I'd be willing to bet that Sanae and her goddesses will be spending quite a lot of time searching for kids so she can get as many favors as possible. Dumb move, guys.

I've seen many CYOAs have the protagonist get stuck in a bad position, or BAD END the story itself, simply because they went for the "cool" and "I'm awesome" decisions rather than the SMART ones.
>>No. 53581
Imagined another loophole, but it's one for a situation where we failed getting back a student. The 'Be careful what you wish for' kind. In short, should she gets a Favor, try to propose things she may ask for immediately without thinking much about the details.

Say, if Sanae hears we can make golems with laser eyes, she may want to ask for one immediately. Thus, we make it too small or too big for her, or not in the shape she want. Just miss out on the details so we can honestly say it's not like she asked for it that way. But it's too late for her to change her words and she'll need another Favor to have it changed to her specifications. It may irritate her a bit however.

Unless we can propose to alter it now, but change the trade for students. We COULD get her to drop the Favor exchange if this doesn't work as she wants.
>>No. 53583
[x] Ask Sanae what she has in mind for such requests.
-[x] If she asks why, pretend that it's simply to be prepared should she find a student. Not that you have any intention of letting her find one.
[x] Think. She intends to get favors with students. ONLY if you come get them yourself from the shrine. It won't be easy at all, but could you have someone 'kidnap' students from her?
[x] Check yourself. Can you even go get batteries Outside today in your state now?
[x] Consider, if you can do so without straining yourself while resting:
-[x] Can homunculi and/or golems be set to shoot danmaku? How difficult is it to do so?
-[x] Do you control the kedama that served as your stage enemies in EoSD?

We could plan for a rematch spellcard battle, this time planned ahead instead of on the spur of the moment, and force her to change her terms by winning it. Specifically, on a day when your best magic is the one that Sanae is weak against.
Sanae, as a shrine maiden of Kanako and Suwako, controls wind and earth. Wind is equivalent to wood (Sylphae Horn). Wood is defeated by metal, and earth is defeated by wood. Therefore we should plan our rematch on the day of either wood or metal.

And of course, adding things that shoot more bullets at the same time as a boss is shooting bullets is always a way to make a boss more annoying; so, homunculi and kedama.
>>No. 53584
Well, whatever we do, getting stronger seems like a pretty good goal once school preparations are complete. We've just got lesson plans by year to complete before classes are picked, right?

If we aren't well enough to head out, we should be able to send Koakuma. Also we need to remember the wine.

[x] Ask Sanae what she has in mind for such requests.
-[x] If she asks why, say that it's simply to be prepared should she find a student.
[x] Get Rumia out of your shadow.
[x] Check yourself. Can you even go get batteries Outside today in your state now?
-[x] If yes, go get some, and don't forget the wine.
-[x] If no, send Koakuma to get the wine and batteries.
>>No. 53585
>>53584
Rumia is already out and had been restrained by Sakuya.
>>No. 53586
Basically this means that any portal to the mountain is top priority for sealing, and not only any near the shrine but anywhere in that region since Sanae could easily make a deal with the Tengu and Kappa to bring her any students they find wandering around instead of handing them to us directly.

I can't complain about the outcome since I chose not to vote but I will say this: Don't try to challenge her in order to change this agreement, it's already done. If she happens to challenge us for some reason and we win then placing restrictions as to what she's allowed to demand might be reasonable but we've already stretched the rules enough.
>>No. 53587
File 133906855187.png - (24.73KB, 642x210, stupid railroad plot.png) [iqdb]
53587
[x] Ask Sanae, unless she minds, what she has in mind for such requests. Let her know that prior commitments such as actually teaching might cause problems if she simply demand things.
[x] Think. She intends to get favors with students. ONLY if you come get them yourself from the shrine. It won't be easy at all, but could you have someone 'kidnap' students from her?
[x] Unless she wants something else, negotiations is over. Is there anything else you need to do?

For what I think about this duel, see pic.
Bringing Koa into the fight was anons mistake yes but we thought Patchy had an int roll to cover obvious stupidity against thing anon could not predict. Having her fluff it so bad she though a water spell at her when she knew she had moses miracle was simply an epic fail. Unless Remi fated it, then she's getting royal flared at the next convenient opportunity.
>>No. 53588
Catching up...

[x] Do whatever you can do that needs doing.

So people expect a fourth level boss to beat someone how started right off the bat as a fifth level boss and then quickly became a 2P character. Right after said 2P miko beat Marisa. RIght.
Our collective brain is too big, it's leaking out through our ears.
>>No. 53589
>>53588
If you actually use game positions to calculate power levels, I wonder who really need to get a brain fix. Expecially with a vote as useless as yours.
>>No. 53590
[x] Ask Sanae, unless she minds, what she has in mind for such requests. There's a chance you might be able to arrange an advance payment for the first few students now, while she's low on energy and somewhat less inclined to mischief.
>>No. 53593
>>53589

Not calculating power levels, more like danmaku levels. Think you encounter Patchy as an extra midboss when she's at full health, you fight Yuyu at stage 1 when she's not going at it seriously and such.

And my vote is for advancing the plot a bit faster and hopefully glossing over minutiae.
>>No. 53594
File 133909421749.jpg - (484.70KB, 850x1159, slight miscommunication not that kind of.jpg) [iqdb]
53594
Favors for students.

Assuming that she acquires any. The next stipulation will, of course, be...

"I'll be expecting you quickly, once they need to be collected, okay? Shouldn't keep them around too long if I'm not having them help out. Not big on... well, freeloaders, hanging around the shrine too much."

"Of course. Scheduling conflicts may appear..." You say, regretfully, though not entirely for the reasons she might imagine. "... But I should not have to leave them in your care for even a full day, unless something spectacularly unexpected arises."

Narrow margin. Small timeframe.

But in all likelihood, it wouldn't be needed at all, as your mind is suddenly drifting back to the conversation with the shopkeeper...

"They would have scavenged the ruin and secured any findings on their own, then?" You wonder.

"Oh, certainly, if they had gotten there first. And they would have fought to defend their 'claim' if someone else showed up to poke through while they were scavenging." He explains, putting the wires back into place. "But with it arriving practically on miss Nightbug's doorstep this time, they would have been hard pressed to get there before she was done even if they had been alerted to its arrival the moment it appeared. Still, even if they can't beat everyone else to collecting it for free, they'll agree to pay money for findings like this. And with this being the only item of real interest..."

"I see. And the Nightbug has an arrangement with you, about this sort of thing, then?" You wonder.

"Oh, no real arrangement. But if they find something that I might be able to sell, I'll happily take it off their hands and turn it over to people who want it. For more than what I paid, of course. It's not to say that I get much business, but I seem to take in a little more by being a neutral go-between for this sort of thing, since I don't do any of the scavenging myself. Grudges get held, and all of that... someone knocked someone on the head from behind, someone else broke a few ribs to get to the prize faster... It's difficult dealing with each other in those cases, where both sides are expecting that the other is just going to grab everything and run at the first opportunity."


This over the reward offered for items scavenged from ruins and buildings fallen through the border. Separate parties will fight and injure each other over being the first to secure some shiny gadget or trinket...

You are offering a reward to those who secure your students and return them to you.

This bears further consideration, later. For now, at the least... it seems like there will be one more potential source of amusement on the table.

"If I may ask, the sort of things you might wish, regarding Favors?" You say instead, voice somewhat strained.

"Uuhm..." Sanae says, seeming not to have thought things through quite that far yet. She frowns. Then she smiles.

"I dunno. I might have you see who you can bring over for a roleplaying session, or I might have you bring the house over for movie night?" She says, waving in a very general sense at the mansion as a whole. Remilia seems bemused by the prospect. "Or... Oh! I could make you pilot part of the giant combining robot!"

"... You would-"

"Well, obviously, I'd have to get a giant combining robot first." She says, sort-of reasonably. "Might have to ask you to make it. But after that, I could have you pilot it, then. Not the head, though. I'll form the head."

"Crazy." Marisa mutters to herself, sipping a bit of tea and offering an annoyed look.

You yourself are more than a little dubious about the prospect of 'roleplaying'. Still, if needs must, and if she chooses to use a favor in that way, it isn't as though you would have a choice. You're mildly disgusted at the prospect of having to endure multiple participants, of course, but it isn't as though you're some wide-eyed chit of a girl. You'll deal with it. What are they teaching the youth of today, though, that such things are the first to come to mind?

"Still, I think I might want to wait until I actually have a favor, before deciding what to use it for." She says, thoughtfully.

Of course.

As to other matters...

You are not so injured as to require bed rest for the entire day. This loss will likely leave you somewhat uncomfortable in the morning, but for now you only need a little longer to rest in a comfortable chair, and then a change of clothes, before you are confident that you will be more than capable of dealing with whatever little errands you need to perform today.

Koakuma, by contrast, will likely be entirely useless for a little while, as she's currently collapsed into a heap on the lawn, smoking quietly, and has as yet shown no inclination to move at all, the lazy devil.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53596
Well, at least what she would ask for isn't as bad as what it could have been. No need to plan epic covert warfare on the shrine to get students then.

[x] Rest on a chair with a book. When was the last time you took time for yourself?
[x] Make a mental note to return to Kourindou later. It would be the best place to put a notice of 'student for rewards', with someone who can make sure to explain to them you want students intacts.
-[x] The shopkeeper will want something for this. Didn't Marisa report mention that he wanted a bodied type Patchouli yukkuri?
-[x] Actually, how big are the children of that family now?
>>No. 53597
[x] Get Rumia out of your shadow (and library).
[x] Rest in a comfortable chair, and then change your clothes.
-[x] Whilst resting, find out what happened to one-eyed M-Pattern.
[x] De- and re-summon Koakuma to get her back to normal, unless she'll recover on her own in a convenient timeframe.
[x] Give Marisa an order to be well clear of your library when her employment ends, and to have returned all of your books she may have come into possession of before that time.
[x] Get batteries and wine. Plenty of wine.

Just some stuff we should really take care of sooner or later, in addition to the obvious.
>>No. 53600
>>53596
Forgot to add here, but putting up a notice will not have us seek out individuals one by one to force us to negotiate like we did with Rumia.

Of course, we'll need to word it so that they know which are students and which are Outsiders so that they don't bring everyone they find to our door.
>>No. 53601
[x] Get Rumia out of your shadow (and library). Food may help in this.
[x] Rest in a comfortable chair, and then change your clothes.
-[x] Whilst resting, find out what happened to one-eyed M-Pattern.
-[x] If that doesn't take long, also read a book. Maybe one about shielding magics.
[x] De- and re-summon Koakuma to get her back to normal, unless she'll recover on her own in a convenient timeframe.
[x] Give Marisa an order to be well clear of your library when her employment ends, and to have returned all of your books she may have come into possession of before that time.
[x] Set a homunculus to record data from the hat experiment each morning.
[x] Get batteries and wine. Plenty of wine.

Oh, Patchy. That's the wrong kind of roleplaying. Well, Koa would still be interested.
>>No. 53602
Sometimes you guys depress me.

>Get Rumia out of your shadow
She already left it before the duel.

>Give Marisa an order to be well clear of your library when her employment ends
As if it would be that easy. She no longers has to follow our orders once her time with us is over.

We have that spirit in the Hakkero to use for negotiations. Keeping Marisa out for a whole year is entirely unrealistic, but surely we can lower the frequency of her visits at least.

>have returned all of your books
We already got them back when we ransacked her house, remember?
>>No. 53603
>>53602
Okay, looking at the Marisa thing again, I can see where it's not that specific. Please allow me to clarify what I meant.

While we cannot order Marisa around after the employment ends, we can have her vacate the library shortly before it does so she doesn't grab a bunch of books on her way home.

Also, I can't remember if we told Marisa to keep her hands off the books while working for us, and even if she did she might have found a way around it somehow. The second part is in case she's stolen a few office supplies, so to speak.

Now the Rumia shadow thing, you are right about. My mistake.
>>No. 53604
>>53603
Nah, no need to worry about the second part: As Patchouli observed and Koa Korner stated, Marisa honor her deals. Pretty sure that as a servant, she know better than to steal during that time.
>>No. 53605
>>53604
I can see your point, but I interpreted that (>>53007, for sake of reference) to mean she's a little like Koa, except not quite as depraved and evil. That is, probably willing to bend the spirit of a deal for her own benefit.

Either way, I think it might be a good idea to make sure she can't misinterpret it. Better to be careful and stuff.
>>No. 53606
*sigh*

Yes. Combat with a player character.

Though, to be fair, we did nearly win. Ah, well...
>>No. 53630
[x] Get Rumia out of your library. Food may help in this.
[x] Rest in a comfortable chair, and then change your clothes.
-[x] Whilst resting, find out what happened to one-eyed M-Pattern.
-[x] If that doesn't take long, also read a book. Maybe one about shielding magics.
[x] De- and re-summon Koakuma to get her back to normal, unless she'll recover on her own in a convenient timeframe.
[x] Give Marisa an order to be well clear of your library when her employment ends, and to have returned all of your books she may have come into possession of before that time.
[x] Set a homunculus to record data from the hat experiment each morning.
[x] Get batteries and wine. Plenty of wine.

Well, at least there will still be amusement from people fighting over students so Yukari won't just send them all to the nameless hill or something for laughs. Probably.
>>No. 53640
>>53630

Rumia already left when she realized that the crazy shrine maiden was around. Patchy will need to track her back down if she wants to negotiate further.
>>No. 53677
File 133945681037.png - (608.60KB, 1038x767, yes what is it.png) [iqdb]
53677
Koakuma will likely take a little while to be able to move on her own again.

This is not exactly convenient for your purposes, but on the other hand, killing her in order to cut short the waiting period poses enough problems of its own. To begin, that you don't really feel inclined to head down and finish her off yourself, and while you could give the order to someone else, you aren't entirely sure of the sort of impression that would leave with the wide eyed brat, who is despite everything else, a shrine maiden.

In addition, there would be re-summoning to consider afterward.

It isn't as though she can really refuse to take up the contract again at this point, once she's answered the summons, but at the same time... you can't actually force her to agree immediately, while she's still in the circle. Which means that she can delay things essentially as much as she likes, if she feels like being obstinate about matters. And while it isn't a guarantee, having her killed after taking a beating like this might lead to her dragging her heels over matters once she returns. Annoying little displays of spite and petty vengeance...

Still, you have other things to do today, and while it might not be convenient to let her lie, it could well be less convenient to try to hurry things along. And you aren't particularly in a gambling mood any longer.

That Rumia has to.... well, at the moment, she's licking her fingers clean of some manner of thick red paste, seeming startled that the majority is composed of some sort of plant matter. She doesn't yet seem to have entirely grasped the concept of utensils, but Sakuya remains unflustered.

You can't exactly throw her out of the Mansion as a whole. Something for Remilia to decide on, or do. Oh. And now Sanae is casually seating herself at the table without a thought, idly discussing the finer points of the use of oregano as she deliberately places a fork in Rumia's hand.

The youkai contemplates it for a long moment before clasping it in a fist and stabbing at spiced meatballs like a tiny spear.

You want them both gone.

For now, you'll settle with the understanding that it's made very clear what Rumia can and, more importantly, can not ingest within the bounds of the mansion, and leave her to Remi. At the very least, she won't be in your library.

Which, coming to mind as it is, you should politely retreat to now. You make a mental shopping list of sorts as you go, and wine and batteries feature highly on it...

... You pause for a moment as you pass Kirisame.

"Your employment, such as it is... comes to a close, soon." You say after a moment. "After you have completed the poison or poisons I requested... I would suggest that you should probably be elsewhere, a little before the actual time comes. I might suggest inspecting your cottage? What is left of it, in any case, following those two venting their disapproval."

Marisa cringes, but rallies after a moment.

"... Yeah. Ugh, just know I'll get back and there'll be a half dozen fairies, bold as brass, setting up a jacuzzi in my cauldron." She grumbles. "Or more of the same from before'll have gotten in. Man, I hope that bunny was exaggeratin', cause it'll be a fair while of rebuilding the damn thing, especially if I gotta force the forest to give up enough lumber to set things in order."

She pauses and gives a slightly hinting look. You decline to make any actual promises, however. She's perfectly capable of dealing with her own mishaps without outside assitance.

"And as well... any tomes that you've quietly relocated, or have squirreled about in more easily accessible places, should be returned to their proper place before you go."

"Aww, is that what you think of me?" She complains, loudly.

"... Are you denying that my suspicions have basis in fact?"

".... You don't know that I'd have done it. I mean, not for sure. Yeah, I was thinking about it, and it'd make things a little easier for when I get done fixing my place up..."

"If you haven't, then see that you don't."

"Yeah, yeah. I'd have missed the face time going right for the mother lode gets, anyway. Bigger thrill, too~" She says, cheekily.

You make a soft noise of vexation and continue along, unwilling to delay your chair any further.

Once seated, you remain still for a few long moments, then send out orders for the preparation of one of the Homunculi. No need to handle the little, uninteresting tasks of experimentation personally, if you have other options. All that is needed is regular measurement, and notation of differences between stages of growth. Even one of those can handle that.

But for now, a book.

One with the shielding measures of the Hogwarts-trained wizards, you believe, will be apt for the moment...

.... and after a short time, it reveals something you had missed before.

The mentality of the wizards is geared entirely towards the consideration of magic as a potential threat. As such, the design of their defenses has a certain similarity between almost all counts.

The shields will defend against magic. In many case, they will defend very well against magic.

But against a sword or an axe, a hurled knife, a bullet, or even a thrown stone, the shields will do approximately nothing at all. It is, apparently, a severe weak point in their defenses. Few of them can even formulate the thought that another wizard might attack them through such mundane means. Certainly, if you threw a javelin inscribed with those lunar runes, it would pierce through and dissipate their shields as neatly as one of your own. But a javelin thrown, without the runes, would pierce just as well.

Competent duelers, it seems, quickly learn that while shields are all well and good, there is significant value in simply getting out of the way of things as well... and Transfiguration seems to be a very dangerous field of study, when applied to battle magic, because even if you have the really good sort of shield that will suck away the magic maintaining the mobility of a stone statue of a bear, momentum and inertia are not effected, and you still have a massive block of stone shaped like a bear hurtling directly at you.

Something to keep in mind, as you believe that Filius is known to have been a Dueling Champion in his time.

In any case, it appears that while the scarred M-pattern has not entirely integrated with the group it had been left with, they are... slowly warming up to one another, perhaps? It seems to have reached the stage of a standoffish, slightly surly uncle, at least, though not quite something like an adoptive father.

You should really change clothes, now, though. You seem to have rubbed a little ash into this seat. Well, it can be cleaned, you reflect, as you rise and carefully wash up, then dress yourself again.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53678
Huh.

A protego seemed to separate Harry and Ron in the seventh book...
>>No. 53679
[x] Whenever convenient, ask Sakuya or Remilia why they are showing Rumia their hospitality.

I'm very much not displeased by this, but I would like to know why it is a thing.

>Oh. And now Sanae is casually seating herself at the table without a thought, idly discussing the finer points of the use of oregano as she deliberately places a fork in Rumia's hand.
>The youkai contemplates it for a long moment before clasping it in a fist and stabbing at spiced meatballs like a tiny spear.
Cute!
>>No. 53681
[x] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[x] Give Marisa one of the bottle of wine so that she can get started on the 'poison'.
[x] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you.

Not sure what else to add. Incidentally, do we want Sanae to see Patchouli in cosplay clothes?
>>No. 53683
[X] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[X] Give Marisa one of the bottle of wine so that she can get started on the 'poison'.
[X] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you.

>>53679

She probably finds Rumia most amusing. I would, if I was her.
>>No. 53685
[x] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[x] Give Marisa one of the bottles of wine so that she can get started on the poison.
-[x] Either don't let Sanae hear this or mention it's nonlethal. Maybe both.
[x] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you.
-[x] Don't forget to get some packaged muggle food. It's not really as meaningful (and thus useful) a gift if Sakuya makes it.

Hmm, we might have to cover the portal room in light to keep Rumia from getting in there through shadowtricks. Perhaps it's not likely since we're already threatened her with immense pain and I can't remember if there's a door or it's just a slab of rock that we shape out of the way. For that matter, did we ever put a roof on it?
>>No. 53689
>>53685
Pretty sure it's been mentionned that Sakuya would take care of all food-related gifts. Patchy's not going to go out of her way just for this. Besides, the better the food is, the better it will be for us. And if the tea at Lucius was any indication, Sakuya's cooking will satisfy them very much.

And I've rechecked what Albus suggested. There is NO specific mention of any muggle food in this. The batteries and the rest fo the foodstuff will be enough.
>>No. 53708
>>53689
What, you don't think the muggle-lover would be that much more impressed by genuine Muggle food? Seems worth the walk/portal to a convenience store to get some chips and soda. Not to mention they should sell batteries there too, so it's just one stop if we go there first.

[x] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[x] Give Marisa one of the bottles of wine so that she can get started on the poison.
-[x] Either don't let Sanae hear this or mention it's nonlethal. Maybe both.
[x] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you.
-[x] Don't forget to get some packaged muggle food. It's not really as meaningful (and thus useful) a gift if Sakuya makes it.
>>No. 53709
>>53708
>What, you don't think the muggle-lover would be that much more impressed by genuine Muggle food?

No, not really. Food's food and said person would be more impressed by technology, from what Dumbledore implied. In fact, he never mentionned Muggle food at all.
>>No. 53710
[x] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[x] Give Marisa one of the bottles of wine so that she can get started on the poison.
[x] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you. Not that you made any errors in the construction, but humoring Yamame could be useful in any future Earth related endeavors.
>>No. 53712
>>53709
I suppose that's valid enough, but, the way I see it, it's like giving a weeaboo REAL JAPANESE FOOD instead of an imitation. But whatever.
>>No. 53713
[x] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[x] Give Marisa one of the bottles of wine so that she can get started on the poison.
-[x] Either don't let Sanae hear this or mention it's nonlethal. Maybe both.
[x] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you. Not that you made any errors in the construction, but humoring Yamame could be useful in any future Earth related endeavors.

>>53709, Agreed, we decided on a battery. Let's not change our minds.
>>No. 53715
>>53713
Nope, we decided on a battery and jerky:
>A battery and some beef jerky for Charity.
>>51816
>>No. 53716
>>53715
I don't remember agreeing for that list, but whatever. Considering we're bringing food to everyone, it does make some sense to bring some to her too.

>>53712
What's with the obsession of going out to buy it? You want to risk it tasting bad and souring a mood against us?

>>52981
>Sakuya is already aware of what you will need for tomorrow, and there should be no difficulty in attaining that much.

Food is already planned for and everything will be fresh for everyone. -Why- do you want to give someone far less better food than the others? When you want someone to try food, you usually give good or bad food to that person?
>>No. 53717
>>53716
Because then it'll be authentic muggle food, which is what interests her.

Anyway, this is getting pointless arguing about it.
>>No. 53720
[x] Whenever convenient, ask Sakuya or Remilia why they are showing Rumia their hospitality.
[x] Change clothes. May as well get dressed for Outside now.
[x] Give Marisa one of the bottles of wine so that she can get started on the poison.
-[x] Either don't let Sanae hear this or mention it's nonlethal. Maybe both.
[x] Before leaving properly to do the shopping, make sure to bring Yamame so that she can inspect your tower and study hall. As good as you made them, you don't want them falling apart on you.

You know, part of me just wants to have Patchy bring over a large bag of Mcdonalds. Hard to imagine something more muggle than cheap fast food from one of the largest franchises on the planet.
>>No. 53722
>>53717
You're right. This is pointless, because you're wrong on what she wants in the first place.

>>51814
>As for dear Charity Burbage, however, that is a more simple matter. As Muggle Studies professor, she does what she loves, and she'll get quite excited at the gift of any muggle invention or device.

>invention or device.

Pretty sure food doesn't fit into this.
>>No. 53723
>>53722
Yes, Dumbledore didn't say anything about Muggle food specifically. You've made that point several times.

Somebody who is fascinated by a group of people to the point that Charity seems to be would probably have an interest in genuine food from that group. I've made that point several times.

Let's do everyone else in the thread a favor and not post on this subject unless we have an argument that doesn't boil down to one of those two, no matter how stupid you think I am for not being able to accept what's clearly been written, and no matter how stupid I think you are for not being able to draw an obvious conclusion from the facts.
>>No. 53725
>>53723
I'll simply point out that liking Muggle things doesn't make her like Muggle food by default. That's an assumption that has nothing backing it up and could be either right or wrong.

Anyway, updated to-do list.

x Find some manner of defending the library while out : Failure unless we negotiate something very soon. Marisa's leaving today it seems. We'll have to count on the spirit nerfing her Spark and getting back our books while in good health.

- Shopping list:
-- Batteries
-- Apple-flavored pipe tobacco
-- Another bottle of wine
-- Food? (I say no, but I'll still put that in question for teh otehrs who'll insist on it)

- 'Discuss' the schedule with others teachers (will happen during last two days, time it will take unknown)
- Have the tower and lecture hall inspected by Yamame
- Interview Pomphrey (will be done on last day).
- Furnish our tower.
- Set up a 'bounty' amongst youkais for students. Best way would be to have Rinnosuke as a middle man.
- Possibly arrange for another teaching assistant or Library defender, depending on what we want Koakuma's primary job to be.

Someone mentionned it earlier, but having Tokiko as an assistant could work, depending if she's interested and Voile has enough books she could read (since tempting her with books is useless if she can't read them. Remember the warning we gave Alistair?). We have a reason to return to Kourindou later anyway, so we could try that if she's still at the shop.
>>No. 53744
Just out of idle curiosity, did Patchy keep the outfit Tewi bought us that one time?
>>No. 53750
>>53744
1. sage non-vote posts.

2 We got two outfits and we kept both of them. What would Tewi do with them anyway?
>>No. 53774
>>53723
I honestly do not see the difference between Wizard food and Muggle food half the time. A sandwich is a sandwich, a roasted turkey is a roasted turkey.

The only thing really magical would be the candies.
>>No. 53799
File 134004752686.jpg - (233.82KB, 700x700, They're really pretty pieces of total.jpg) [iqdb]
53799
Your typical clothing is most likely still unsuitable for sojourns Outside. It isn't like you don't still have other sorts of clothes, however. You don a set of those, before returning your attention to other matters.

A bottle of wine is left on the small work-space that Marisa has more or less claimed for herself at this point. She'll know what to do with it. You doubt that Sanae might be able to overhear discussion from the roof, but it's probably still better not to mention anything about poison out loud, while there are people present who might... misconstrue it.

That is a headache you do not need at all.

But prepared as you are to step out, there's only one more matter. You have to drag the spider along, and have her look at the construction. It is fine, of course, but doing so will be less irritating than bearing complaints about not doing so for an indefinite time. You find her on top of a bookshelf, dozing, and unwilling to start the outing on the wrong foot, choose to forego a cold bath for simply prodding the spider with a long rod.

She isn't pleased when she awakes, but she is clearly less unhappy than a dousing would have left her. You make your way to the portal, and step through, the spider only a pace behind.

There's a quiet grunt as she eyes the architecture, leaving to the grounds, and you see Albus pacing to a stop in front of you.

"... Ah! This is, it seems, a happy coincidence." The old wizard said calmly, not batting an eyelash at the unknown extra. "I had just meant to send a letter..."

"All wrong." Yamame says flatly, ignoring Albus, who seems startled at this but falls quiet in interest.

"... Pardon?" You say, not bothering to disguise the annoyance in your voice.

"The construction. The tower. Are you joking? Solid stone, sure, that'll give you some leeway, especially with it being one mass. Built like this?"

Yamame takes a moment to give a snort that can in no way be described as 'delicate'.

"Wind, rain, weathering and stresses of the building. Thermal expansion and contractions of the years... There's no give, with it just one solid chunk, no flex to the building. It won't bend. It's just gonna break." She says. "Best estimate.... a hundred fifty years. Hundred seventy-eighty on the outside. Then it's gonna come down. Big 'Creeeeeaak', and then a 'SNAP', and it comes apart right in the middle and the top falls down, leaving you with a half a tower and a big pile of shattered rock."

.... It isn't your area of expertise, so that may well even be so, but you aren't certain why this is any of your concern. You do not, after all, intend to still be teaching here a hundred and fifty years hence. You don't intend to remain beyond the contracted school year, even.

"My dear, you will understand that there are a number of wards designed for just such concerns of architecture?" Albus says, not chiding but simply making a remark, not bothering to disguise his interest, vague as it is, in the topic.

"Fine and dandy. Doesn't mean that it's not throwing a mess of plaster up on a crack that keeps coming open. Might hold indefinitely, or maybe something goes wrong with the plaster. All comes apart at once. Anyway, you want a buttress or three. Split the construction up into chunks. There, there... and there, you want little seams. Not right through, no... interlocking, like a jigsaw. You see?"

You more or less tune out the spider's rambling about the unimportant details and specifications, and consider, for a moment, just not bothering with 'fixing' the construction. It will be functional for the period of time in which you require it, and then some. No need to make it an edifice which will endure millenia.

... Except that you still need to have the spider around, and constant complaints about such a refusal would be trying, even though you could endure them.

You sigh, with a little disgust, and make the adjustments.

"The letter, which you intended to send?" You inquire politely, diverting your attention for a moment as Yamame inspects the result, frowns, and directs a few more tweaks.

"Ah, yes. I am afraid that Cornelius and madame Umbridge have... well, I fear that they refuse to back down. One path is closed to them, and yet it seems that they have found another. Madame Umbridge has, unfortunately, been instated in a new role in the school staff... a 'Supervisor of Instruction', I believe."

His tone leaves the feeling that Albus is somewhat baffled as to why such a position would be required.

"In any case, it seems that this has garnered enough support in the Wizengamot that I am afraid I cannot simply deny the posting outright. However, for the moment, I have limited matters to the degree I am capable of. She will, currently, only be able to fill an advisory role, and make suggestions, as it were. Final and full autonomy still, in all cases, remains with the instructors themselves."

"And it will remain so?" You ask, sharply.

"One hopes, yes." Is Albus' reply. "It would be the height of foolishness to attempt to sabotage the education of the youth out of simple paranoia. Yes, it would take a spectacular fool indeed..."

You consider this, in conjunction with your impressions of Cornelius so far.

"Oh geeze. Oh, that is just terrible." Yamame says, having ignored the conversation entirely to focus on more important things. "Yeah, it looks fantastic, but seriously? Barely fifty years, and that big dome on the top is going to give out, with only support from the outside circumference of the wall beneath. No support pillars or struts or anything. Fifty years, and then rocks fall, and anyone still inside? Splat."

That's still not any of your concern, and Albus still seems confident in architectural wards, but the spider seems particularly peturbed over it.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53801
File 134004845240.jpg - (492.57KB, 600x927, 11530706.jpg) [iqdb]
53801
[x] Appease spider immediately.

Appreciatin' this Yamame.
>>No. 53802
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guide. Appease spider immediately.

It seems like Patchouli is reluctant in anything that implies asking for help and/or admitting weaknesses.
She's a grumpy old lady, that's what she is.
>>No. 53803
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guide. Appease spider immediately.

Redundancy usually gets weighed against cost. Considering how easy this seems to be for Patchy, improving the building seems like a pretty good idea.
>>No. 53805
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.

Wards can fail and she did say those estimates are at best.
>>No. 53807
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.
>>No. 53808
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.
>>No. 53811
[X] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[X] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[X] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.

It occurs to me that making sure her tower is a good piece of work might make a better impression with the students and staff. Although, I can't say whether Patchy would particularly care about their approval.
>>No. 53812
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow its guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.

Lol, this day has been all kinds of annoying for patchy hasn't it. I bet she can't wait for the day to be over with.
>>No. 53814
[x]Adjust buildings as Yamame directs.
[x]Introductions are likely in order as well.
[x]Once business is concluded, take the spider home and go about your shopping. Consider picking up a small something or other for her while you're out.
>>No. 53815
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow their guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business is concluded, take the spider home and go about your shopping. Consider picking up a small something or other for her while you're out.

Good thing we got this looked at. Crumbling stone buildings are never pleasant to deal with.
>>No. 53816
We should probably listen to her. It wouldn't do to have anything we've made with magic to be considered shoddy work, especially since we'll be just leaving it behind in plain sight.
>>No. 53817
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow their guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business is concluded, take the spider home and go about your shopping. Consider picking up a small something or other for her while you're out.
>>No. 53818
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow her guidance. Appease the spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.

Eh, it works.
>>No. 53819
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow her guidance. Appease the spider immediately.
[X] Besides. Why settle for less than perfection?
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business here is done, bring Yamame back and do your shopping.
>>No. 53820
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow their guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business is concluded, take the spider home and go about your shopping. Consider picking up a small something or other for her while you're out.

Finally, more about Hogwarts. I know it's partially the fault of the voters, but I still get irritated at the sheer amount of stuff not related.

Especially the Koa Kwest. Even if it will be important later on, it still rubbed me ALL the wrong ways.

My question to the voters of Anonymous: What the fuck is your problem? You made all the worst votes.
>>No. 53821
>>53820
"For teh lulz" is an oft-used, though very unfortunate, line of reasoning used when too many can't be bothered to think about what they're voting for.
>>No. 53822
>>53820
Two things:

1. Why assume that everyone who didn't vote like you are idiots?
2. Very unfortunate that you didn't enjoy it. Also unfortunately, not everyone share that opinion and enjoyed the sidequest. Koakuma written like this was certainly fresh and interesting to me.

So stop whining about something that has been over for a while already.
>>No. 53823
[x] If you asked an expert for help, the least you can do is to follow their guidance. Appease spider immediately.
[x] Maybe you should introduce Yamame. This isn't the only day she will be here.
[x] Once business is concluded, take the spider home and go about your shopping. Consider picking up a small something or other for her while you're out.

>>53822
Chill, man. You sound pretty angry to me, and that can't go anywhere but an argument that leaves everybody unhappy. I felt the same impulse to 'correct' somebody who didn't like what I liked when I saw the post, but he's entitled to his own opinion.

Not to mention you're sorta putting words into his mouth re: voting like him. He's obviously expressing displeasure at votes, sure, and he presumably voted against the worst choices he speaks of, but to put it like that seems to be going a bit far - he's criticizing votes, not voters.
>>No. 53826
File 134012906124.png - (1.03MB, 707x1000, Come into my Parlor~.png) [iqdb]
53826
"Very well, fine." You grumble. "Supports, struts, where are they required, exactly? I might as well get this out of the way."

"Need a ring, here, and a few there... there and there." Yamame says, helpfully pointing out the wheres. "... And you'll need one main support, about there."

"Impossible." You interrupt. "That is the central podium, for lectures."

"Yeah, it's also where the biggest majority of architectural stress focuses." Yamame argues. "Rocks fall, they come down first and fastest right there. So sorry, looks like we need a substitute for the rest of the year, what a shame."

"Bah. I still cannot simply put a pillar there. Not without redesigning and restructuring the entire construction." You say, frown deepening.

"You better hop to it, then, right? Got a bit of paper, pen? No? How's about you, old man?"

"I do believe I might have such a thing on my person..." Albus affably agrees, patting himself down before withdrawing a simple quill pen and a bit of parchment. "I am afraid, however, that I have no ink at the moment..."

"No problem, I got something around here. Yeesh, been a while since I tried to use one of these..." She grumbles, patting herself down very deliberately. "Or not, huh. Might have left it there, on the thing, in the place. Mind if I grab that quick?"

"It would be no trouble to fetch ink from my office?" Albus suggests.

"Nah, you guys chat about teachy stuff, I'll be right back." She says, stepping out and leaving things in a moment of silence before Albus speaks again.

"An interesting acquaintance of yours, miss Knowledge." He says, thoughtfully. "Ah, I keep meaning to ask if you mind that I call you by your given name? It is, naturally, more polite and proper to maintain some distance, but as colleagues..."

"I believe I prefer the formality." You say, carefully.

"Hm, as you please." He says, waving it off. "It was merely an idle thought. In any case, do feel free to address me as Albus, Brian, Wulfric, Dumbledore, or even, if you must, Percival, as you prefer." He offers congenially. "But yes, it is somewhat interesting that you have cause to bear close ties to... a skilled architect, I believe? There are not so many such among the magical world. Preference is, you will find, in many cases to simply build as one pleases and then handle errors in construction with those wards I had mentioned."

Not so many? The man would be surprised, if he went to some hidden places. Though it is likely that he is simply referring to human architecture, in which case such beings as Dwarves, and of course, Earth Spiders such as Yamame, would not be counted.

"In point of fact... she is currently, hm. I believe the closest approximation would be 'on retainer', not as an architect or bricklayer or mason, but as... something of a personal nurse, to aid with my own unfortunate bouts of ill health?"

"Truly? A woman of multiple skills, indeed." Albus replies, eyebrows raising.

"Yeah. I just got this kinda way with illness." Yamame says, stepping back in. "Building places is... more like a family hobby, I guess?"

"If the entirety of your family is thus skilled, then I might like to meet them at some point." Albus muses aloud.

"Oh, I'm sure they'd love to have you for dinner." Yamame says, a turn of phrase that you find somewhat foreboding, as it cannot have been chosen by accident. Especially in conjunction with that slight, sly grin. "But with one thing and another, probably better not. Don't know where most of them are, anyway, we don't really get on, much."

Not unexpected, you suppose. You watched a spider nest hatch once, erupting into thousands and thousands of little specks of skittering legs, which rapidly turned on each other for their first meal. Later on, when the numbers were reduced to a paltry few dozen young, you believe the mother spider entered the fray and began feeding herself, as well, prompting the remnants to scatter in every direction.

This sort of thing is, if it translates much at all, probably not conductive to a warm and pleasant family atmosphere.

"Anyway, got ink." She says, holding up a little vial. It doesn't look like one of yours. One of hers? Filled with thick black fluid. "Hold this for me, will you?" She says, pressing it into Albus' hands as she spreads the parchment open on a wall, then bites the tip of the quill and dips it in the vial, very precisely withdrawing it afterwards and not spilling anything. "Mind, don't let it touch your bare skin. It's perfectly good ink, and I use it by habit for this sort of thing since it's easiest for me to get ahold of, but it's also kind of deadly poison, a bit. I don't think it's a problem just with skin contact, but better not to try your luck, and all."

"Really?" Albus says, tone a mingled duet of very mild alarm and less restrained fascination. It takes you a moment for you to realize that the spider has just all but admitted to milking her own venom glands for this, just now, and you hope that she had the good sense to do it somewhere out of sight enough that nobody noticed anything odd, if anyone is nearby at this time in the morning.

Yamame ignores the question, making some quick sketches, then bites her lip in further thought for a moment before drawing a few extra lines on the blueprint. It takes a further minute or two, and repeated dips in the little vial of poison ink before she nods, seeming to have come up with something serviceable.

"I believe you should keep the quill." Albus decides, when she makes to hand it back. "I am afraid I have something of a habit from my schoolboy days, which I have never quite shaken, of nibbling at the tip during pauses in writing as I consider the proper phrasing and the best words to use."

"Suit yourself." Yamame agrees, tucking it away somewhere.

You pluck up the vial of corked poison before she starts to reach for it, though, giving it a closer look as you put the cork into place.

"Gonna need that back, you know?"

"Yes, you'll have it. ... Later." You half agree, thinking about how to best determine any potential usefulness of the venom. Yamame shrugs, proffering the crude blueprint. There is not so much as a single word on display, but the diagrams of the adjusted building are very well done.

"Build it like that. And don't smudge the lines, but if you do, don't lick your fingers after." She warns.

"Noted. And yes, this should be suitable."

Perfectly serviceable, at least, though there is rather a more significant amount of restructuring of the building to be done than was involved in fixing the tower. You find, once finished, that you might like to sit down for a moment or three, but content yourself instead with several deep breaths as you survey the results. Good enough.

"I believe that the elves might have something prepared for breakfasting, that should still be available at this time." Albus says, seeming to be thinking to himself, only aloud.

"It won't be required. I have some small errands to perform, and Yamame was just returning."

The spider seems less pleased by this affirmation of what she would be doing than she was at your willingness to bend to her area of expertise, but in the end she lets out an annoyed sigh and agrees that, yes, she should probably be on her way.

It's only the work of a moment to shuffle her back, and then you're off to shopping. Diagon Alley is the most obvious place to begin, as you have wine to purchase there, though with your beating earlier, creating portals is somewhat more taxing than it might otherwise have been.

You take a moment to stand in place, discreetly catching your breath as you watch the alley going about early morning routine.

"There's a lot of them, huh?"

You erupt into a fit of coughs at Rumia's voice, but manage to control yourself after only a few moments.

"How... when...?"

"Do you think they'd notice one missing?" She asks thoughtfully, a hungry gleam in her eyes, sitting on a small pile of crates nearby and eying the milling pedestrians with interest.

"Yes. They would. More importantly, I would notice, and then things would become very uncomfortable for you." You threaten, not bothering to hide your vexation at her unwanted appearance.

"Is... is that so?" Rumia replies weakly.

"More importantly, how and when did you get here?" You nearly snap. "I watched for your presence. You did not enter my shadow, or pass through the portal. You did not even approach either. And yet, here you are...?"

"Didn't need to." She says, idly, falling a little to the side and into the shadow of a building, before coming out of one on the other side. "All shadows are Darkness. Just have to find the right bit, for where you want~"

This is somewhat alarming. Free travel such as that, which apparently bypasses the Boundary itself? It's no concern of yours what happens to portions of the outside that aren't your responsibility, but even so...

You recall that series of notes the child of Miare made. Wasn't there part of it devoted to Rumia herself, as notable enough to be mentioned? You think quickly, sifting through your mental library for the correct page...

"And the Hieda girl only considers you an average threat?" You say, thoughtfully. "Can't see through your own darkness, just a supporting ability?"

"Ah, true, it is so. My eyes are not so good... I can't see much better than a human, so if the darkness is too thick?"

She gives a casual, deliberate shrug.

"Can't see out, doesn't like the sun and keeps a thick shade up, don't notice quiet people going through, keep running into trees, silly little Rumia~" She chirps, something flashing in her eyes. "Daaaangerous if you let her get ahold of you, but not Tooooo dangerous~ Isn't that so?"

Her smile is just a bit wider than might be considered comfortable, for a few moments.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53827
ask her to behave for now, and in exchange you will purchase her a bit of food in the alley.
>>No. 53828
[x] Get her some food to placate her.
-[x] Do warn her that should she show up at your workplace, you will not tolerate disturbances towards students and staff.
[x] Do your shopping.

Her ribbon is still on, right? Right?
>>No. 53829
I'm generally not that good at coming up with votes on my own, so I pick between the ones I find most interesting and copypasta them. In the case of write-ins like this, I usually wait for a few posters before choosing which votes.

Enough on that. I like this Rumia. I mean, I REALLY like this Rumia. Even more than your Breaking in Rumia version.
>>No. 53830
[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says.
[x] No need for gifts of food, especially when they might set off someone who appears to be having some sort of fit over being seen as harmless. So long as she understands not to harm your students and colleagues under pain of, well, pain, she can hunt wherever she likes.

Wait, why do we care about random wizards in Diagon Alley?
>>No. 53831
well isnt it generally a bad practice for someone now under your employment, or soon to be, eating people in public. also, she might accidentally eat someone of importance, such as a shop keeper or a student shopping.

that and doest she really like cooked foods over just people/raw food?
>>No. 53832
>>53831
Caps, man. Use caps.

That aside, I can see your point, but I'm more worried about angering Rumia and having her attack the school to spite us (or something along those lines) than I am of Rumia getting herself seen/caught and subsequently traced back to us. There's probably a way to offer her food without risk, but I can't think of it.

You are right that there is some risk, though, and therefore I'm changing my vote from >>53830.
[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says.
[x] No need for gifts of food, especially when they might set off someone who appears to be having some sort of fit over being seen as harmless. So long as she understands not to harm your students and colleagues under pain of, well, pain, she can hunt wherever she likes.
-[x] If she wants to hunt here, though, you'd recommend the alleys. Plenty of people no one would miss there.
>>No. 53833
[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says, maybe it's out of date. (get her to spill if these new powers are recently acquired)
[x] Make a deal, separate from the previous one. Unless Patchy makes an exception, no attacking anyone related to the school; student, faculty or otherwise; or otherwise near us and in exchange we don't care what happens to others.
-[x] Add the following to the to do list:
1. Increase umbral security
2. Confront Remi about possible meddling in you duel with the shrine maiden.
>>No. 53834
>>53833
Remilia stated she was a spectator when we saw her during the Sanae/Marisa duel. And Kahi confirmed it somwhere else too.
>>No. 53835
>>53833
>maybe it's out of date.
Oooh, good thinking.

Your deal thing sounds good, though just offering to not care might not be the best repayment (Then again, Rumia is able to go anywhere in the world to hunt pretty easily, so it shouldn't be much issue for her to move elsewhere). I'd say we could offer her some of Sakuya's food, but I think that was included in the previous deal.

About the fight, it was said it wasn't Remilia, but there was something that influenced the fight. My money is on Sanae's power of miracles.
>>No. 53836
[x] Ask her to demonstrate more of her abilities. Can she transport objects or other people with her?

Guys. GUYS! What if we use Rumia to bring back any sttudents Sanae finds?
>>No. 53837
>>53836
Not too sure... Sanae will probably keeps a tight watch on them and the Shrine most probably has protections against youkais with ill intentions.
>>No. 53838
[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says, maybe it's out of date. (get her to spill if these new powers are recently acquired)
-[x] Ask her to demonstrate more of her abilities if she's willing.
[x] Make a deal, separate from the previous one. Unless Patchy makes an exception, no attacking anyone related to the school; student, faculty or otherwise; or otherwise near us and in exchange we don't care what happens to others, as long as it cannot be traced back to you.

>>53833 - as Kahi stated elsewhere, We lost because of "Certain Choices", not challenging a PC, or Remi's meddling, but because of the actual votes/choices anon made. He was willing for Patchy to win, but due to choices that we made during the past in-game day, we lost.
>>No. 53839
... Clever girl.
>>No. 53841
Sanae just seems to want someone to nerd out with, so planning out raids and whatnot seems to be a gross overreaction.

As for Rumia, don't bring up any other deals just yet, you don't want to give her any ideas.
>>No. 53842
>>53833
>>53838

One of the 'Choices' that led to Patchy's loss was clearly summoning Koa to help.


[x] Yamame's poison... might this serve for the challenge for Snape? Consider. You'll need to test its potency first, of course. Substantial dilution is likely to be necessary, if nothing else.
[x] If you get anything to eat while in the Alley (unlikely), get something for Rumia as well.
[x] In any case, cultivating an amicable relationship with her seems wise, at least for the time being. Being on good terms with her might make her willing to have her abilities studied in the future as well.
>>No. 53843
[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says, maybe it's out of date. (get her to spill if these new powers are recently acquired)
[x] Make a deal, separate from the previous one. Unless Patchy makes an exception, no attacking anyone, and in exchange we don't inform the Hakurei maiden about the bypassing-the-boundary-at-will thing
-[x] Add the following to the to do list:
1. Increase umbral security
2. Enquire with Remi about possible meddling in you duel with the shrine maiden

>>53842
Deploying Koa probably hurt a lot less than using a water spell on the priestess of a FROG GODDESS. Yes, using Koa was dumb, but at least that was player input.
Literally throwing a book at her would have been more effective than that particular spell. Depending on the book, it might have won the duel.
>>No. 53844
>>53843
No attacking anyone? Really? She's not allowed to attack anyone in the world? Way too harsh terms. I've changed the criteria to stuff Rumia can tell at a glance.

Anyway, I've deleted my previous vote (>>53840) and am revoting. Original comments follow.

>>53836
Meh. Sanae's favors don't seem to be that bad, not to mention student raiding will apparently happen without our needing to arrange for it.

If a favor does turn out to be unacceptable, though, Rumia may be a good asset, if simply refusing to take the student back until a more acceptable 'price' is asked isn't an option.

There are some things I would change about the deal thing, but I don't really have enough time to go through it and fix all the problems, then shorten it, then repeat. So long as the basic idea is that we'd rather not have Rumia attack people in the school uniform at all, or wizards in a way that will get traced back to us, it's good enough.

[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says. Perhaps it's out of date?
[x] Make a deal, separate from the previous one. Unless you make an exception, no attacking anyone in Hogwarts uniform or not obviously unimportant in wizard Britain and in exchange inform the Hakurei maiden about the bypassing-the-boundary-at-will thing and give her a bit extra of Sakuya's food. We don't care what happens to others, as long as it cannot be traced back to you.
-[x] If she has her heart set on eating here, you'd recommend the alleys where you met Alistair.

For reference, I'm >>53832, changing my vote again. Sorry about that.
>>No. 53845
Frankly, I'm not hot on the idea of another deal. We didn't even let Koa in England when we let her out, so Patchouli has probably no desire to let Rumia out here.

Especially once word of youkais spread out once we bring some to test the students. Albus WILL turn his eyes to us about strange disappearances (and rightfully so) if he suspects it's something new that has settled here and preying on wizards. To say nothing of others.

No, I can't see how letting Rumia hunt in England a good idea.
>>No. 53846
>>53845
The way I look at it, we wouldn't be really be 'allowing' Rumia to feed in Britain, since she can already do that with shadowwarp. Rather, we're preventing her from attacking students and staff.

[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says. Perhaps it's out of date?
[x] Make a deal, separate from the previous one. Unless you make an exception, no attacking anyone in Hogwarts uniform or not obviously unimportant in wizard Britain and in exchange inform the Hakurei maiden about the bypassing-the-boundary-at-will thing and give her a bit extra of Sakuya's food. We don't care what happens to others, as long as it cannot be traced back to you.
-[x] If she has her heart set on eating here, you'd recommend the alleys where you met Alistair.
>>No. 53848
>>53846
Thing is, it's about more than students and staff. And that vote has something wrong in it: you think Rumia will look hard to see if her target is important or not? Hell, we don't even know everyone that may be important either.

Let me run a bit of logic here: we'll probably open a can of worms once people learns about youkais when we'll bring one to test the students. It won't be hard after to realize they have abilities strange to them. Now, if people are dying or vanishing with methods they can't explain, who do you think they'll turn to?

Let's not forget something else either: even if somehow, we're not strong enough to fend off Rumia, there are people (Sanae) who will be more than happy to take care of that problem.

Even if we make a deal, it will be way harder to see if she sticks to her word with this than with the students, because the only way we'll know is once the deaths are noticed. That's why I believe threats will work better in this case. We don't want Rumia hunting in Britain at all.
>>No. 53849
Why do we need Rumia at all? With her penchant for feeding on people, given what >>53848 said, it seems like having her involved in this and hunting in Britain makes her a liability, period.
>>No. 53850
>>53848
If the deaths aren't noticed, it seems to me Rumia would be doing a pretty good job of only killing unimportant people.

I agree with you that we can definitely take Rumia or find someone who can, but I'd rather not take the risk that we go too hard on her and she starts showing up in student's bedrooms for a midnight snack to spite us.
>>No. 53851
>>53850
If Rumia is smart enough to spite us, she's smart enough to realize we would bring someone to seal her so she stop being a problem. Sanae or Reimu, whoever.

There's a reason she's not trolling everyone in Gensokyo, you know? Attracting attention is probably on her list of what not to do.
>>No. 53853
[x] Warn her of the various dangers of feeding Outside, magical and mundane alike.
[x] Good luck! Do be discreet. Or else.
>>No. 53854
You guys do realize letting Rumia snack on wizards might kill Alistair?
>>No. 53855
>only let Rumia eat 'unimportant' people
>Dumbledore gets word of a hitherto unknown 'shadow monster' that not a single wizard anywhere can deal with
>scries the bitch
>she's back in Gensokyo
Guys, I seriously doubt he'd assume coincidence. And I seriously doubt Reimu would hesitate to blame our 'deal' for encouraging her.
>>No. 53858
>>53854
I fail to see how that's such a bad thing. He's been moderately useful, sure, but it's not like he couldn't be replaced in terms of expertise by any given wizard we find. Not to mention I think he's still living off that big bag of coins we gave him.

>>53855
It's not that I don't see your point, but I personally think you're overestimating the chances of Dumbledore noticing a series of disappearances among the vagrants of Diagon Alley, scrying through the Hakurei Barrier, not assuming a portal is involved, and us being unable to explain that that this person came on her own and hunts where she feels like. I'd write more but that can wait for a time that isn't 2:30 AM.
>>No. 53862
>>53858
>overestimating the chances of Dumbledore noticing a series of disappearances

Sorry, but you're the one underestimating here. Cosette had told Koakuma that wizards tend to notice that kind of odditie faster than mundanes in KoaQuest.
>>No. 53864
>>53862
Oh, I missed that. I stand corrected, then. With that in mind, the chance of unfortunate questions from some party or another does seems unacceptably high. Though I'm still loath to simply say she's not allowed to eat here. Perhaps she could move on after a short time, once she's assuaged her curiosity or only take a very limited amount?

[x] Yeah, that's pretty much what it says. Perhaps it's out of date?
[x] Make a deal, separate from the previous one. Unless you make an exception, no attacking anyone in Hogwarts uniform or, when in wizard Britain, in large amounts and not imporant people. and in exchange not inform the Hakurei maiden about the bypassing-the-boundary-at-will thing and give her a bit extra of Sakuya's food. We don't care what happens to others, as long as it cannot be traced back to you.
-[x] If she has her heart set on eating here, you'd recommend the alleys where you met Alistair.

The vote isn't perfect, but the idea's there and that's good enough for me right now.

Am >>53844, changing my vote again. Really sorry about that.
>>No. 53867
File 134031938556.png - (650.65KB, 777x777, Related Enough.png) [iqdb]
53867
"Yes. I believe that is, if not word for word, an accurate enough summation of her estimation of you." You reply dryly after a moment.

You understand that the child of Miare's reincarnation cycle has something of a decreasing lifespan with every incarnation. Not information freely offered, but something you deduced yourself. What was harder to determine was that, more often than not, she did not reach the end of whatever lifetime she had, as it was cut short by outside influences.

As Rumia's grin broadens a little, showing more teeth, you find yourself wondering exactly how that ends up happening.

"You will understand, of course, that I cannot approve of... meals which may later prove troublesome for me, personally, to deal with." You say dryly, prompting a frown of annoyance from the youkai of dusk.

She looks ready to object, possibly loudly, but you cut her short. A shrine maiden might use a sealing ward for the purpose, brandishing something as a warning. You don't really have the slightest clue how to work such things, but you have your ways. Instead, you are displaying a spell-card. On it is emblazoned a stylized image of the Sun.

Rumia is suddenly a measure or two more agreeable to hearing you out. Little mishaps with the shrine maiden, before, notwithstanding... it's not at all difficult to determine a suitable weak point to take advantage of here.

Probably best not to devolve into a brawl in the middle of the shopping, though.

... For your part, you could offer not to inform the Shrine Maiden about Rumia's new ability? If it is new. You certainly had never heard of it, but then, you believe she is something of a loner by nature and so it might well simply be something you had not seen or heard of, before. Though it would certainly be something that would escalate her threat rating.

Unless she made sure nobody knew about it, and didn't display anything too impressive, in order to keep estimation of her low, on purpose.

Would she do that? Clearly irritated... but then, one can be irritated by something that is required, and still follow through with it, no matter how annoying it might be.

"Perhaps the writings are out of date?" You muse aloud.

Rumia only shrugs, not commiting one way or another. That would be too easy.

In any case... you have some doubts that the Shrine Maiden would care, when it comes down to it. Her duty is, as you think she alluded before, more internal matters. Things which happen outside of Gensokyo... are not, when it comes right down to it, her responsibility or concern, as long as it isn't widespread or problematic enough to possibly draw attention to Gensokyo.

And it's no secret that humans are brought in, sometimes, to serve as meals for Youkai that cannot leave on their own.

No, while Rumia may not be the brightest speciment... you think that such a threat may not quite do the trick.

"I can not and will not tolerate, as I said before, predation of those I am responsible for. Students are categorically off limits." You say shortly. "Aside from that, I strongly prefer that you do not draw any attention to me. Ideally, unless I specifically allow it, it would be best you not prey on anyone in Britain at all..."

"... I'm not so good with... geography." Rumia says slowly, eyes a little narrow.

"You'll find I'm more than capable of locating you a map." You say, fingers twitching. Not so incidentally, the card twitches with them, and her eyes shoot back to it.

"There's a lot of places that aren't Britain, though." She says after a long moment. "And there's lots of people there, too."

It's not an outright promise. Somehow, however, you don't think you'll get an outright promise. This is probably the best bargain you can manage, and better than you had expected.

"Indeed. As it happens.... I don't suppose you'd be willing to demonstrate any further abilities I'm un-aware of?" You ask.

Rumia's smile returning is the only warning you have before you realize that you're in full shadow from the building next to you and hundreds of black, grasping arms and hands are pulling you through.

The darkness is infinite, or possibly only the size of a small room, it doesn't matter, expanding in every direction for as far as you cannot see, smothering you as though you had the pressure of countless tons of water pushing down on... it's like being at the bottom of the ocean on a moonless night, you can't move, you can hardly breathe, you're a little surprised there's anything to breathe...

Rumia's floating in front of you, her red eyes glowing to provide the only light source available.

"This is my world. Nowhere to run, useless to hide, I am this place and it is me, once you are here, you have already been made a meal~" She purrs, hands cupping your face.

It's difficult to even think.

You activate the card, and it erupts with the blinding radiance of the very heart of the sun, joined by a shrill scream.

You are vomited.... you are expelled, rather, back into the side-alley, as Rumia tumbles out of the shadow as well, shoulders hitching as she groans and clutches at her face.

"I said before. It is unwise to startle Magicians." You say, doing your best not to let on that you're having a tiny bit of trouble keeping your heart rate steady after this particular surprise.

"Was gonna... spit you back out..." Rumia groans, mingled inky-black blood and tears seeping out from between her fingers. "I swear I was."

"It might be considered a warning, then, not to take into your mouth in the first place more than you can chew?" You chide sarcastically. "Even if you do not intend to swallow."

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53868
[x] She has heard your terms, she knows who is off limits and she knows that angry magicians do not play nice. Shoo her away and get on with shopping.
-[x] If she genuinely wants a map, get her one with Britan marked with a sun deign, as a gentle reminder to choose her meals carefully
[x] Check if they have any ointments or potions to reduce morning soreness, in addition to other things.
>>No. 53869
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her something if she doesn't make trouble.

I honestly can't think of more right now. And my thinking is that we may as well be on Rumia's good side while we're at it.

>>53868
Not sure Rumia can read maps, really. With the way she travels, how would she locate herself on it anyway? Still, she offered that there's a lot of places that aren't Britain that are full of people. So we really can't do more.
>>No. 53871
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her something if she doesn't make trouble.

I feel just a little bit bad that we blasted Rumia from the interior. That must have hurt like hell, even if she did word things poorly enough to warrant our reaction.
>>No. 53872
Shouldn't we at least check to make sure that no one on the street saw us get sucked into a shadow? The explanation for that could get very awkward very fast.
>>No. 53873
>>53871
Yeah well, its not like we didn't warn her not to spook us.
>>No. 53875
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her something if she doesn't make trouble.

Geography lesson: This is an island. Do not eat people on the island. Thanks in advance.
>>No. 53876
>>53872
What for? Not like we can silence someone in public in broad daylight anyway. We'll just go and if such a person was there, he'll just look crazy if he tells someone else.
>>No. 53878
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her some food.
-[x] If she genuinely wants a map, get her one that shows her position on it. Enchanting it to show a little sun when she's in Britain would be nice but not worth specifically getting someone else to do it for you or studying extra magic yourself.

Given that Rumia just sort pops out of darkness, it'd be hard for her to tell where she is on a regular map without asking someone or flying really high to check the shape of the coastline. Luckily, we're in Diagon Alley, which almost certainly would have videogame-style maps.
>>No. 53879
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her some food.
-[x] If she genuinely wants a map, get her one that shows her position on it. Enchanting it to show a little sun when she's in Britain would be nice but not worth specifically getting someone else to do it for you or studying extra magic yourself.
>>No. 53881
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her some food.
-[x] If she genuinely wants a map, get her one that shows her position on it. Enchanting it to show a little sun when she's in Britain would be nice but not worth specifically getting someone else to do it for you or studying extra magic yourself.
>>No. 53882
What's with the hard-on for the map? I seriously doubt Rumia cares enough to make sure to never lose it.
>>No. 53884
>>53882
Or eat it, for that matter. I'd toss in another vote against it, but, sadly, I can't remember if I've already voted or not~
>>No. 53886
>>53882
I obviously can't speak for others, but I see it as a good way to make sure Rumia knows when she's in britain, since she apparently can't just tell where she is like we can when going through a portal.
>>No. 53888
>>53882
We can enchant it to make it sticky. Then she can't lose it, even if she wants to.
>>53884
And maybe make it taste like Sun? We're a magician, we can probably pull that off.
>>No. 53889
... You know, I should probably add that a traditional map is going to be completely useless for the purposes you guys seem to be intending it for. What you want is either a GPS, or a map enchanted with a similar functionality.

Or, you know, trusting that she'll show some discretion like she's probably been doing for a while now.
>>No. 53890
>>53884
>>53888
Man, there are actually people who think Rumia will eat the map?

Even if she wasn't faking a harmless demeanor, as she's been pretty heavily implied to be doing, paper tastes like shit.

>>53889
You're completely correct, which is why my vote is for exactly that.
>>No. 53892
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her something if she doesn't make trouble.

I think we've gotten as far in manipulating Rumia as we are likely to get at this time.

A map is not very useful by itself, and if enchanted to detect "bad prey" it could just as easily be used to track them down if she decided to turn on us. Having the threat of hunting her down if she mis-steps is probably good enough.
>>No. 53893
[x] You really should get on with your shopping now. Tell Rumia that if she intends to follow, you'll get her some food.
-[x] If she genuinely wants a map, get her one that shows her position on it. Enchanting it to show a little sun when she's in Britain would be nice but not worth specifically getting someone else to do it for you or studying extra magic yourself.

>>53892
She showed up in Diagon Alley without a map. I'd say she's perfectly capable of finding 'bad prey' with or without a map. The probable response to that is "Well, why do we need do give her a map then?", so I'll take the liberty of answering that as well.

Basically, it removes the possibility of Rumia randomly popping out of a shadow that turns out to be located in wizarding Britain. As a direct result of this, it also precludes her using the same as an excuse for a deliberate attack.
>>No. 53895
>>53890
Only if its bleached, and if you are hungry enough its nice and chewy.
>>No. 53896
File 134064838585.jpg - (494.04KB, 1000x1000, bbaa5fe0c6f13e9ee50e9613e133906b020ea216.jpg) [iqdb]
53896
Rumia groans as you pause, considering whether to leave silently or to shoo her off. It is likely, however, that neither are worth the trouble.

"I have shopping to attend to. Keep yourself out of trouble, and a meal might be included."

"W-wait.. I can't see yet..." Rumia croaks, stumbling forward a bit, arm falling away from her face to grasp blindly for a wall. The eyes beneath are not, or are no longer, in any case, entirely ruined but are nonetheless made up of even, flat blackness, as though tiny orbs of obsidian had been placed in empty sockets.

The patch of her face immediately around it is still slick with fluid, of course.

"Clean yourself up. Then come along. I don't doubt that you could catch up, but far be it from me to sacrifice your convenience for my own." You say, sarcasm returning to color your words.

Rumia rubs quickly at her face, smearing some of the mess around and dealing with some of the rest through an uncertain combination of wiping it away onto her sleeves, where it disappears, and mysteriously rubbing it into and beneath her skin, somehow, as though it were a sponge.

She still can't see to fix it all, though, and it will clearly draw attention, even if events thus far have been missed, being down a discrete side passage. Just walking through the market with blood dripping down her face...

"Ugh." You grumble aloud, patting down your pockets for a strip of cloth. "Hold still."

You don't bother to be gentle about matters, which could have been problematic once the struggle began, except that Rumia's flailing to escape your grip could only be considered half hearted at best. It takes a few minutes to mop up the last few drippings of liquid, leaving the cloth a sodden and inky mass.

You're at a loss as to whether you should store it and inspect the sample later, or just throw it away, but then Rumia neatly solves the quandary by taking it out of your hand and eating it. No matter. While a mass of strange blood and fluid would attract general attention, the wizards are sufficiently jaded, it seems, by odd appearances that 'strange eyes' don't even pass muster enough to deserve a second look.

Wine is the first purchase, and you're sure to collect another pair of bottles, just in case Kirisame finds herself in need of more samples and drains the other you have present as well.

You actually locate the tobacco in a more out of the way place. A traveler's shop, containing suitable clothing for taking a long hike over a hundred years ago, heavy leather satchels, pipes and tobacco, among other substances, for enjoying the fruit of your efforts having clambered up a mountain somewhere, discreetly shrinkable and unshrinkable brooms, to speed the journey along so that you can get to enjoying those fruits more swiftly, and of course maps.

There are lots of places that cannot, of course, technically be shown on a map, due to magics obscuring locations, preventing the recording of such, or outright divorcing a location from the rest of existence, but there are work arounds. You bypass the more expensive sort, which can zoom right down to street level such that you can look up and wave at yourself looking down into the map.

Instead, you select a more moderately priced artifact, which only has the feature of displaying a red 'X' in the holder's general position, showing the majority of the European countries in the general vicinity. If outside its bounds, it shows no mark, and within a place that cannot be shown on a map, it becomes significantly more general, simply displaying a much larger mark, over a much vaster and more uncertain area.

You helpfully draw a large circle around Britain on the soft parchment, then add a few more theatric marks to make it into a stylized Sun. Then, upon payment, you turn it over to the youkai.

"You may find this of assistance with your geography troubles. Do not eat it.." You say, sternly.

A little bit of white has begun to streak into her eyes, showing that they have begun to heal, but it doesn't seem she's yet capable of sight. She takes the map warily, however, with all of the trust of someone being handed a particularly rabid badger, prepared to fling it aside at any moment, if it seems to be preparing to turn on her.

Good enough, and an admirable sentiment. Gifts from wizards should not be immediately trusted, after all. That is simply the way of things. It isn't as though you have any need or interest towards adding special features to anything, at the moment, but it is good to see that the youkai recognizes and is concerned by the possibility.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53900
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attrack attention there.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to wherever the currency you have is good for.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying or borrow Koakuma's method and venture into a shady alley to let nature decide who becomes a meal.

I realized it was never really confirmed if the money was in yen, hence why I wrote second line like it is.
>>No. 53901
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attrack attention there.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to wherever the currency you have is good for.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying.
-[x] Don't borrow Koakuma's method of venturing into a shady alley to let nature decide who becomes a meal.

>"Was gonna... spit you back out..." Rumia groans, mingled inky-black blood and tears seeping out from between her fingers.
>tears
I missed this, last time. Feels bad, man. At least Patchouli cleaned her up, though.
>>No. 53902
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attract attention there.
-[x] You may as well spent that time looking through the used bookstores of Diagon Alley.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to Japan.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying. That probably means meat.
-[x] Don't borrow Koakuma's method of venturing into a shady alley to let nature decide who becomes a meal.
[x] The Mundane-loving teacher may be interested in some packaged non-magical foodstuffs. Get some of them too.

Our mundane money has been confirmed to be yen.

As for the food, yes, I realize it's largely pointless. However, we've got enough money for hundreds of batteries. It's not like it'll hurt anything.
>>No. 53903
She deserved it. Still feels bad leading around a blind girl. I thought she'd go into Patchouli's shadow again.
>>No. 53904
[x]You need to wait for Rumia's eyes to heal before heading out into non-magical areas, so you may as well get some food now.
-[x]Lots and lots of food, it's Rumia, after all. Be prepared to tip generously.
[x]Once she's done eating, or the proprietor has run out of food, go get some batteries.
[x]Grab a little something for Yamame while you're out. A good bottle of some kind of alcohol would probably work, especially if it's of a type not commonly encountered in Gensokyo.
>>No. 53905
[x]You need to wait for Rumia's eyes to heal before heading out into non-magical areas, so you may as well get some food now.
-[x]Lots and lots of food, it's Rumia, after all. Be prepared to tip generously.
[x]Once she's done eating, or the proprietor has run out of food, go get some batteries.
[x]Grab a little something for Yamame while you're out. A good bottle of some kind of alcohol would probably work, especially if it's of a type not commonly encountered in Gensokyo.

Sorry, but the mental image of Patchy spoon feeding Rumia her dinner is too cute to pass up.
>>No. 53906
>>53901
Addendum to my vote, since it's a good idea:
[x] Grab a little something for Yamame while you're out. A good bottle of some kind of alcohol would probably work, especially if it's of a type not commonly encountered in Gensokyo.
>>No. 53907
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attract attention there.
-[x] You may as well spent that time looking through the used bookstores of Diagon Alley.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to Japan.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying. That probably means meat.
-[x] Don't borrow Koakuma's method of venturing into a shady alley to let nature decide who becomes a meal.
[x] Grab a little something for Yamame while you're out. A good bottle of some kind of alcohol would probably work, especially if it's of a type not commonly encountered in Gensokyo.

Agreeing with >>53902 here. Our non-magical money was made with/around the Yakuza, right? So shouldn't we at least worry about exchanging the money or going to Japan to use the money?
>>No. 53908
>>53907
...Worry for what? Japan is just one warp away.
>>No. 53909
>>53908
Only one other vote has stated "Warp to Japan". Knowing Kahi, he'd just have Patchy use yen in non-magical Britain just to teach us a lesson on proper voting.
>>No. 53910
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attract attention there.
-[x] You may as well spent that time looking through the used bookstores of Diagon Alley.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to Japan.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying. That probably means meat.
-[x] Don't borrow Koakuma's method of venturing into a shady alley to let nature decide who becomes a meal.
[x] Grab a little something for Yamame while you're out. A good bottle of some kind of alcohol would probably work, especially if it's of a type not commonly encountered in Gensokyo.

Let's not ass-u-me.

>>53909 now it's 3!
>>No. 53911
>>53909
Actually, my vote is 'warp to where currency is good'.
>>No. 53912
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attract attention there.
-[x] You may as well spent that time looking through the used bookstores of Diagon Alley.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to Japan.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying. That probably means meat.
-[x] Don't borrow Koakuma's method of venturing into a shady alley to let nature decide who becomes a meal.
[x] Grab a little something for Yamame while you're out. A good bottle of some kind of alcohol would probably work, especially if it's of a type not commonly encountered in Gensokyo.
[x] The Mundane-loving teacher may be interested in some packaged non-magical foodstuffs. Get some of them too.
>>No. 53913
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attract attention there.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to Japan.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying. That probably means meat.
- [x] From a butcher's shop, not free-range.
[x] The Mundane-loving teacher may be interested in some packaged non-magical foodstuffs. Get some of them too.
[x] If we want to get something for Yamame we might want to do it before heading to Japan. Rum?
>>No. 53914
>>53913
Rum? Rum is a cheap drink, made from the scraps of sugar refining.

As a dignified, noble intellectual, there is only one drink to be had. Absinthe.
>>No. 53918
I fully expected somebody to have come up with an Unlimited Darkness Works by now, please don't let me down /sdm.
>>No. 53919
>>53914
Buuut Yamame. Drinking rum. Singing pirate songs while swinging on weblines hanging from the ceiling.
>>No. 53921
>>53918
Please don't bring anything from Nasu into this story, thank you.
>>No. 53922
[x] Your next purchase is in a non-magical area. Wait for Rumia's eyes to heal, since strange eyes will attract attention there.
[x] Batteries are next. Warp to Japan.
[x] For Rumia, simply buy her something she may be interested in trying. That probably means meat.
- [x] From a butcher's shop, not free-range.
[x] The Mundane-loving teacher may be interested in some packaged non-magical foodstuffs. Get some of them too.
[x] If we want to get something for Yamame we might want to do it before heading to Japan. Absinthe!
>>No. 53924
File 134074074527.jpg - (203.54KB, 446x600, OmNomEtc.jpg) [iqdb]
53924
The next matter is batteries.

However, as these have to be purchased from outside the half-hidden areas of magical Britain, where the casual pedestrian would, in general, be rather less nonchalant about things outside the norm, like sufficiently bizarre eyes, you will have to wait for a moment, until healing has progressed enough.

Now would, then, be a good time to link feeding the youkai and collecting some sort of suitable reward for the spider's... assistance. She's an earthy sort. Alcohol would be good. Something strong, but not too cultured, no expensive wines or cognacs.

Something suitable is located in a lazily working eatery, seeming to be frequented mostly by a table of goblins and a cloaked and hooded man, the back of whose hands seem to be almost thick with fur. The meat is low quality, tough and chewy and barely palatable, but it is abundant, and Rumia devours it with interest as you inspect it more closely.

"Tastes like cat." She comments after a moment, crunching through small bones from difficult-to-identify segments of meat in thick sauce. "And it tastes like donkey." She continues, carefully nudging a bowl that used to contain some manner of stew.

"'Ere now. You tryin' t' imply somethin' 'bout me establishm'nt, 'ere?" The head cook, waiter, doorman, and drink-mixer rumbles warningly.

"Didn't say it tasted bad." Rumia replies, crunching through another segment of... it might be a tail, you cannot be quite sure.

In any case, your appetite is not quite up to the formidable task these dishes present, and you limit yourself for the moment to bread, seeming to be flavored with a generous pinch or two of sand, and the house special drink. Something like mead, thick and sweet fermented honey cut with what claims to be boars blood, also fermented, but probably came from a fat pig that was going to be butchered anyway. There is an alternative, 'vegetarian' blend, which has the honey cut instead with souring goat milk.

You purchase two bottles of each, reasoning that this is certainly earthy, and could be considered an exotic treat, and if the spider is displeased, it isn't as though you can't acquire something better later.

As you leave the eatery, an owl swoops down, catching Rumia's now-reformed and suddenly interested eye, delivering a letter for you. The message is short, and perhaps sensing that it is not exactly in the birds best interest for it to remain, it flaps away immediately, rather than wait for any return message.

Your presence requested.

At soonest convenience.

Alistair.


.... Odd. Did the werewolf own an owl? No matter. At soonest convenience is not right now, you still have a chore to fulfill.

You step through a portal to Japan, take a moment to discreetly catch your breath, and then continue on to search the streets for some sort of suitable peddler of wares. It takes some time to locate a Convenience Shop, which seems to be most inconveniently placed in a position where the casual onlooker would generally pass right by without noticing, and they have several varieties of batteries for electronic devices for sale.

You purchase samples of each, as well as, after reflection, packages of dried squid jerky, chocolate dipped on sticks of fragile pastry dough, and several cups of what seem to be easily-preparable noodle soup. You doubt that any of them are quite as instant as they claim to be, but it's neither here nor there.

Rumia has eaten one of the packages of squid jerky before you get the rest out of her reach and warn her that they're off limits, and she just ate in any case, and then grumble to yourself as you purchase quickly made Hamburgers from an efficient restaurant in the wake of wide, pleading eyes, as a substitute for food she can't have.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 53925
>Hamburgers from an efficient restaurant
Hahaha. Rumia would be the best pet if Rachel wasn't occupying that position.

[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
>>No. 53926
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.

So, did Alistair get into trouble or something?
>>No. 53927
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.

>Hahaha. Rumia would be the best pet if Rachel wasn't occupying that position.

agreed.
>>No. 53928
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
-[x] Tell Rumia that's about all the food you've got for now. If she'd like more she'll have to go hunting.
>>No. 53929
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
- [x] Take Rumia with you.

If there's trouble we can just sick Rumia at em.
>>No. 53930
>>53929
Or we can, you know, use our magic flames, or our magic water, or our magic sawblades...
>>No. 53931
> in the wake of wide, pleading eyes

It seems that patchy Isn't as heartless as we thought. She got suckered by Rumia's puppy dog eyes after all...
>>No. 53932
>>53930

I'm not saying we can't do that, but between expending the energy ourselves, and delegating the task to someone without health problems, well.
>>No. 53933
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
- [x] Take Rumia with you.
>>53932
And she'd enjoy the exercise/meal.
>>No. 53934
>>53933
>implying Rumia can't get the exercise and meal anywhere in the world.
>>53932
We've created entire buildings out of nothing. We're more than capable of handling ourselves.

[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
-[x] Tell Rumia that's about all the food you've got for now. If she'd like more she'll have to go hunting.
>>No. 53935
>>53927 here

Add
[x] Bring Rumia with you.

Like Kahi said, there will be no repercussions for involving Rumia. Because she's awesome.
>>No. 53936
>>53935
When did Kahi say this?
If you're talking about this:
>On a slightly different note, I like Rumia. You may have gathered this. Naturally, getting her involved was an excellent decision and will in no way have any sort of repercussions, ever, good or bad.
, that's what's known as sarcasm.

[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
-[x] Tell Rumia that's about all the food you've got for now. If she'd like more she'll have to go hunting.
>>No. 53939
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
- [x] Take Rumia with you.
>>No. 53940
>>53936
Lay off of the guy. Even if it was sarcasm we know that Kahi likes Rumia and Kahi's Rumia is awesome. Keeping her with us would only add more to the story, as well as keep things fun for both the audience and the author.
>>No. 53941
>>53940
Sure, bringing Rumia with us would result in things being more interesting. The problem is that said interest would be the kind referred to in that Chinese proverb. You know the one.

Regardless of the out-of-character appeal of Rumia's antics, Patchy has no reason to bring Rumia along.
>>No. 53943
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
-[x] Warn Rumia that where you're going, there's going to be less food. But if she wants to come with you anyway, don't waste effort trying to stop her.

We don't really want to have a bored, hungry Rumia with us, but if she finds being with us interesting, who are we to stop her?
>>No. 53944
X It is now our earliest convenience.

X Realize that if we keep on feeding Rumia she'll probably keep following us.
>>No. 53946
[X] Realize that if we keep on feeding Rumia she'll probably keep following us.

Kind of like a pet, actually.
>>No. 53947
>>53941
Patchy always has a reason to keep things interesting: Yukari deterrent. Better the complication we know and love than a devilish new one.

-[x] Do not dissuade Rumia from following.
>>No. 53951
>>53947
Destroying the entire school and hunting down its occupants with fire and steel would also amuse Yukari. That doesn't make it a prudent or wise course of action.
>>No. 53955
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
-[x] Warn Rumia that where you're going, there's going to be less food. But if she wants to come with you anyway, don't waste effort trying to stop her.

I don't care if Rumia comes with us or not, but I'll be damned if we keep feeding her. She ate a bunch of cat/donkey-ish meat, a package of squid jerky, and some hamburgers in the span of a single update. I don't want to know what that costs, and we can't replicate wizard money yet.
>>No. 53956
> I don't want to know what that costs, and we can't replicate wizard money yet.

No but we can replicate jewels to sell for wizard money.
>>No. 53957
It's a good thing Kahi forgot about the whole "Marisa having a crush on Patchy" thing. I guess that's one less thing to worry about.
>>No. 53958
>>53957
Right, because posting about it sure won't remind him of it.

More seriously, Patchouli just didn't have any reason to think about it. And I doubt Kahi just forgot about it.
>>No. 53959
[x]Store the batteries in a safe location.

[x]take precautions against traps, it was a short message delivered by an unknown with little to prove that it was actually sent by who it claims it was from.

[x]Head to the meeting.
>>No. 53962
[x] Store your purchases in a safe location.
[x] It is now your earliest convenience.
-[x] Take Rumia with you, if she wants to come along.
>>No. 53968
>>53958
Agreed, besides the way Marisa told us she picks her robbery methods with the goal of seeing more of us was flirting, anyway. She'll probably be back awkwardly trying to get into our pants soon.

[x]Store the batteries in a safe location.
[x]take precautions against traps, it was a short message delivered by an unknown with little to prove that it was actually sent by who it claims it was from.
[x]Head to the meeting.
>>No. 53970
[x]Store the batteries in a safe location.
[x]Take precautions against traps, it was a short message delivered by an unknown with little to prove that it was actually sent by who it claims it was from.
[x]Head to the meeting. Don't bother trying to strand Rumia.

That note, while terse... still seems a bit off.
>>No. 53971
>>53968
...Marisa never said any of that. Reimu supposed it.
>>No. 53978
>>53971
The line I was referring to was when she said she'd rather take our books from us than sneak them out as our servant because it gets her 'more face time'.
So, yes, she did say that she picked robbery methods to get more time with us.
>>No. 53991
Hey guys, kindly remember to sage non-vote posts.
>>No. 53994
>>53991
Chill, man. It's not that important. Obviously it's preferred, but most browsers are capable of scrolling down so it's all good.
>>No. 54001
File 134162765359.gif - (436.75KB, 1024x768, Woof.gif) [iqdb]
54001
Wifi signal located, sick as a dog, Let's see....

All of your purchases are sealed carefully in a solid stone box in the basement of your tower. It's perfectly airtight, as it's less of a 'box' than it is a 'cube', with holes just large enough inside it to accomodate the items.

In any case, it's not a perfect sort of protection, but good enough for prevention of accidental loss. If they should go missing, it will be because they were deliberately stolen by someone who knows they were there.

That asside, the message is... actually, it is still somewhat concerning. While it seemed to be Alistair's handwriting, you aren't perfectly familiar enough with it to say that for sure, and there is no way of telling whether or not it was prepared and delivered under duress.

You still have active golems in his household though, don't you? Yes, there should be some present.... you carefully begin peering through distant eyes.

The first shows you an empty room, but the next you try displays the dining area. Alistair is indeed present. And so is another man. Taller, broader at the shoulder, more well muscled, although certainly less reputable seeming than the already somewhat scruffy Alistair.

This is, naturally, some cause for concern.

It is not, however, a reason to go in on a full assault, wreathed in eldritch flame. There is another present. That is true. The other is related to the letter. This may not be true, but it is certainly probable. That this other is a threat? That is not certain. The whole matter could be innocuous. An introductory meeting of some sort.

Still no reason to be unwary. Rumia, also, hasn't left, so...

It's like she's some large stray cat that's discovered you to have left out a saucer of milk once. Or a layabout houseguest that knows they can get free meals for no, or minimal, effort.You don't doubt she'll continue to follow you around and show up at her own discretion so long as she is convinced that there might be more to be squeezed out of you.

Well, you might not be able to conjure food from thin air, but it isn't as though you're strapped for funds. And there may be some use to having the youkai about.

"Where I'm going now, I don't think there will really be any food for you." You warn anyway, preparing a portal and passing through it without awaiting a response.

She follows you anyway, slinking out through your shadow as you pause for a moment to catch your breath. Blasted shrine maiden. Blasted duel. All right. Breath caught, you stride confidently into and through the mansion, making your way to the table where Alistair has risen to stand, mild distress and uncertainty on his features.

"You requested an audience with me?" You ask dryly, addressing the question to both Alistair and the other man, still lounging in his own chair.

There's a momentary chuckle from the lounging man. Then he moves, and in a single surge of motion is perched on his heels on the edge of the table, staring carefully at you from well within what could be considered polite personal space. You're half tempted to blast him back across the room and into his seat.

"Woof." He says dryly, before continuing on "... Not sure what the packless runt sees in you." He rasps, considering you, and then taking several deep, audible sniffs. "There's a whiff of... disease just hanging around you like a shroud. You have backbone, though. Probably not enough. Don't think you'd make it to being pack. Nah. One like you... just meat."

".... I may have been incorrect in my estimation of potential meals, Rumia." You say flatly.

"May I eat him...?" She asks in response, eyes gleaming as they focus on the man. In spite of any sort of logic, his grin only grows wider.

"... I am considering it. But it wouldn't do to be too hasty in judgements. You, I take it, are another werewolf. Your name, sir?"

He heaves his head back and laughs, in response, leaving Alistair to answer for him.

"This is... it's Fenrir Greyback." He says, a weary note of disgust in his voice. "He's well known for being unwilling to accept Ministerial regulation on werewolves, and is wanted for the crime of regularly and deliberately inflicting the cursed disease of Lycanthropy-"

"With a specific preference for targetting children, yes, I believe I recall something of the name in passing, now. I had not seen your face before, however. I shall know, now, to link the two."

Fenrir laughed again.

"Surprising. You don't seem to really care. Not your problem?" He asked, toothy grin still present. "You're not a local, after all. Isn't like you care what happens to english brats?"

"Should you find yourself targetting a student under my protection, I believe that I would give you ample reason to regret that decision. I presume that you have some reason for this specific choice of victimization."

"Hardly the right word. I offer a gift, though there are many who don't see it in that light." Fenrir argued. "Yeah. I go after the little ones if I can. Just a mouthful, so it's easier to make the Wolf just give a nip and then run us on after something more filling. Can't say it works every time, I'll admit. Aside from that, though, get them young, they usually adjust easier. Grown man isn't as likely. Half the time, ends up killing himself after he figures out what he's become, or he tries to live out his life pretending it never happened all but one day of the month, like your packless runt, here."

Alistair seems as though hackles are rising, but he's still not rising to the attack. Fenrir snorts in disgust.

"Quaking in your boots, boy? The wolf knows it's been insulted, and it wants to attack, even though it knows you can't win. It's you, and your fear of me, that's keeping you from trying for it. Typical wizard. Almost never adjust well."

"From the way you say that, I presume those without magic have a simpler time making the transition." You note, intellectual curiosity piqued for the moment.

"Smart cookie." Fenrir chuckles, as Alistair looks aghast.

"You've been deliberately infecting muggles...? That's monstrous!" He says. "They wouldn't have reliable access to, to people who understand their symptoms, no way at all to get any Wolfsbane-"

"Spoken like the wizard you're still pretending to be." Fenrir snorts. "But that's why I'm here. The Moon doesn't care one way or the other about how you were born. ... But the Dark Lord does. He's been making these little hints about sorting out the chaff, and I'm not half thick enough that I can't see the writing on the walls." He growls. "Some point soon, the bastard's gonna send down the order to cull all of my pack that was born a muggle, and I'll be left with the choice of just smiling and acceptin' the matter with clenched teeth, or fighting back, and end up losing a hell of a lot more."

He shrugs.

"Not got a lot of options, but I'm working through them. I don't head the pack because I'm stupid, or some young pup with a head full of fluff would have long since got me from behind and taken over. Nah, the only way out? Got to make arrangements in advance for the pack to split up, so there's no more muggles in the Pack at all when the order comes down, and I can look smug and say 'way ahead of you, there, not a one left'. Now, I'll be taking them back later, that you can count on, but as a temporary measure."

He stops to look at the ceiling for a moment, as a look of dawning comprehension and mild horror crosses Alistair's face.

"You can't-"

"Fact is, though, for the wolf to accept splits and re-joinin's like that, there has to be some other werewolf in charge. Just for the time being." He says, seeming annoyed about it. "Can't be anyone in my Pack. They take over from me, Wolf takes it as them taking over the whole pack. Right out. But fact is, most every wolf in Britain is already in my pack. Not a lot of options, like I said. There's the Lupin, but Dumbledore's got a tight fist held on that hound's leash." He says in disgust. "And then there's a few others, to be true, but most of those owe little favors to the man too, and the last thing I want is to go through with this, and then have some self-righteous muckety muck decide he knows what to do best if he just puts the words in the right ears, and realize I'm going to have to kill them all anyway because the old coot got his fist around another hound's leash. Totally neutral parties... ain't easy to find. Then there's this runt here."

Fenrir leers, and Alistair groans as he sags into his seat.

"Normally, he'd be out too. Likes to be out of things, but too weak to stand on his own. Barely a half-step better'n the ones that'll be lapdogs right off. Would have figured there was no way out, started resigning myself to cutting my losses, 'cept for one thing I figured out. Runty little wolf pup's already picked a pack master. Just had to come for myself, get a look at the new person holdin' this leash."

"You're wrong." Alistair said, flatly. "I owe the lady some debt of gratitude, that is for sure. But it is a finite debt. Monetary. I don't hold any such... feral bond, simply because-"

"You keep telling yourself that, runt." Fenrir barked. "You might even convince the wizard, comes to it. But the wolf knows Alpha, even if it's not a wolf. Causes problems if it's not. Especially if it's human, prey. Doesn't seem like it's going to be a worry this time. But it knows. She tells you you stink, need to go jump in a lake? Runt, you will be halfway to the door before you realize you've stood up."

Just at the moment, it's difficult to tell whether the two werewolves even recall you're still in the room as they glower at each other, Rumia watching on, curiously.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 54002
[x] "Is there a Reason why you're wasting my time?"
[x] If he attacks, let Rumia eat him. If he's getting too close... you have quite a few spells for that.
>>No. 54004
>the Moon
Take the pack, wait until Moon day, conduct various Moon-related experiments on werewolves.

Seriously, I don't give a damn about what we do here other than a vague preference that Rumia continues getting fed.
>>No. 54005
>>54004
That sounds like a wonderful way to get a bigass pack of werewolves pissed at us.

[x] Continue listening.
[x] Relevant questions may include:
-[x] What's in it for us/Alistair?
-[x] Can troublemakers be ... discouraged?
>>No. 54010
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] You may want to point out to Alistair that if he doesn't accept, Fenrir did say he would be forced to kill them.
-[x] But do ask Fenrir how Alistair is even supposed to do this. It wouldn't take long for someone to suspect something strange if he's spotted in places he usually doesn't go.
[x] Ask Fenrir if you were called here just for this meeting or if there was something else he wanted from you. And if he asks for a service, ask why you should care.

Wow. Didn't take long for Fenrir to figure out that our stance in the War is neutral.

Still, how is this even supposed to work? If suddenly Alistair starts to spend his time elsewhere, some may ask questions. And if spotted running said pack, anyone knowing Alistair would know the pack isn't his. Also, I doubt Fenrir actually want us having a hand running it. At least not directly, lest Patchouli would be the one the wolves of his pack would follow, which is one of the reason he went to Alistair.

However, there's a chance he may want us to discourage attempts to influence Alistair or just help Alistair grow a spine for when Patchouli will leave.
>>No. 54012
[x] There is a perfectly simple solution. Get the whole pack together in one place, and then dump them in Gensokyo. Specifically, the Underground.
I seriously doubt oni or youkai are susceptible to lycanthropy.
>>No. 54013
>>54012

>[x] There is a perfectly simple solution. Get the whole pack together in one place, and then dump them in Gensokyo. Specifically, the Underground. I seriously doubt oni or youkai are susceptible to lycanthropy.

Really? You want to have Patchouli start an Incident for no reason? I doubt Miss Knowledge wants everyone on her case. Ever. Dumb vote is dumb.
>>No. 54014
So, basically he wants us to take control of a pack of muggleborn werewolves for a while and give it back after Voldemort loses interest.

[x] Correct him with regards to your species. (Only insofar as that you're not human.)
[x] You are mildly interested in this. Keep listening.
-[x] What's in it for us?
[x] Also ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider. What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
>>No. 54015
[X] Werewolf research time!
-[X] Subtly Test the extent of your alpha status by telling them both to calm down, carefully gauge Fenrir's and Alistair's reactions to the command.
-[X] Subtly summon a moon spirit, note the reactions, if any.
-[X] Subtly summon a replica moon over Alistair's house, be sure to dismiss it if the werewolves react to strongly to it.
-[X] Apparently, there is some sort of wolf spirit/demon inside of werewolves. Attempt to summon it.

[X] For the final experiment, forcefully bind the moon spirit to Fenrir.
-[X] If he survives, congratulations...he can now stick up for his pack against Voldemort and lessen the number of dead pack members.
-[X] If he dies...well...sometimes scientific progress demands a little sacrifice.

Dis nigga insulted Patchy. I'll leave the actual constructive votes to you guys, because I sure as hell won't have her just take it like a little bitch.


>>54012

>Introduce werewolves to Gensokyo without fully understanding the Lycanthropy disease.

Wow man...and I thought my vote would be the dumbest one in the thread.
>>No. 54016
>>54015
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will... hurt my feelings ;_;
>>No. 54017
>>54005 here, if the following could be added to my vote, I'd appreciate it.
[x] Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider. What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
>>No. 54018
[x] Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider. What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
[x] Quick portal to ask Eiren if she has any Lycanthropy meds.
[x] Ask Remi if she has any experience dealing with wolves.
>>No. 54019
[x] What's in it for Patchy?

Because I can't really see her bothering with any of this unless there was something in it for her.
>>No. 54021
>>54015
Don't worry, yours is just as dumb.

And guys, while I understand that we may have a role to play in this, perhaps we could ask what exactly needs to be done before asking about compensation?
>>No. 54022
[x] Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider. What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
[x] Ask them if there was any particular reason you were called, because if not we are both busy and in need of rest (stupid shrine maiden)
>>No. 54023
If we did decide to take on a pack of werewolves what makes him think we'll give them back?
>>No. 54024
[x] Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider: What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
[x] Ask them if there was any particular reason you were called, because if not you are both busy and in need of rest.

(As to point 3, I vaguely remember a statement to the effect that Patchy's malady was rather... territorial, but wouldn't mind confirmation. And for point 2, it will be mildly interesting if he admits he's let Voldy become his alpha...)

And, yeah, she'd have no reason to involve herself unless Fenny was going to pay her in books (highly unlikely) or she wanted to experiment on the werewolves (and we've already got one for that if we want). What Alistair does in his own time is none of her concern, as long as it does not unduly inconvenience her.
>>No. 54025
[X] As fascinating as this all is, why would Patchy have any interest in what happens to his pups?
[X] Why does Fenrir follow the Dark Lord anyway? Werewolves are obviously not a group he cares about.

I figure the first question could fill up a post but I'm interested in the second matter too.
Mentioning in passing that his sense of smell isn't as accurate as we'd expected might be a good subtle barb without coming out and saying outright that Patchy's not human.
>>No. 54026
>>54023
I can't help but think they'll be more trouble than they're worth.
>>No. 54027
[x] If it looks liable to turn into a fight, throw Rumia at Fenris.
[x] Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider. What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
[x] Ask them if there was any particular reason you were called, because if not we are both busy and in need of rest (stupid shrine maiden)

We really need to see if we can get out of this without a fight, though. We started the day at only 60 percent life then challenged a playable character (if we ever do that again, let's wait until we're at at least 80) and lost, so we're pretty tired out and beat up.
>>No. 54029
>>54027
...Why the hell are you even thinking this may turn into a fight?
>>No. 54031
[x] If it looks liable to turn into a fight, throw Rumia at Fenris.
[x] Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] Ask Fenrir why he follows the Dark Lord. He doesn't seem to have Fenrir's pack interests in mind to ask for a culling.
[x] Consider. What is your susceptibility to lycanthropy, in case of an accident?
[x] Ask them if there was any particular reason you were called.

>>54029
Because you should always prepare for a fight
>>No. 54032
[x] Wait out the conversation/argument. You're getting some fascinating insights into the Werewolf culture and dynamics, and you're not even doing anything.
[x] Once the conversation's done, ask what Fenrir wants, and what compensation he's willing to give.
[x] Possible suggestion of more information on Werewolves from the actual source. Patchy's surname is KNOWLEDGE, after all.
[x]Don't bother correcting Fenrir on your species. Being underestimated, even in this generally less powerful land, is a good thing.
[x] It's an urban myth that vampires and werewolves have a sort of rivalry. Remember when you're back in the SDM to ask Remilia about werewolves.
>>No. 54033
[x] Wait out the conversation/argument. You're getting some fascinating insights into the Werewolf culture and dynamics, and you're not even doing anything.
[x] Once the conversation's done, ask what Fenrir wants, and what compensation he's willing to give.
>>No. 54043
is this it?

i just went through all the chapters up till now, have to say, i was expecting the quest to be up to about chapter 30 by now.

ah well,
>>No. 54044
File 134188026259.jpg - (651.29KB, 710x1002, Okay and.jpg) [iqdb]
54044
You watch patiently, with some interest, as the discussion, such as it is, continues. The strong feeling arises that the Wolf part of Alistair is ready to either roll over and present its throat or lunge, jaws snapping, whenever Fenrir speaks, and it's merely the Wizard's personal distaste for either option that keeps them from being acted on. It seems like Fenrir knows this as well.

".... And besides. How would I do it? More importantly, why?" Alistair snaps.

"How's easy, runt. You don't actually have to do much of anything to be Alpha, especially if it's temporary and you don't plan to run with the Pack for real. Just exist, and have it so they know you still exist. Not much out of your normal routine. Maybe win the occasional scrap with an underdog that shows up to take your place. If you lose, though, so much the better. I already know I can handle any of the Pack I already have, breakin off on their own from you just makes it easier to get them back, time comes. Hopin' you just hand 'em over easy's a risk, after all." Fenrir replies, leering. "I'd have your guts for making problems for me, of course. But still, better avoided."

The scruffier werewolf shrugs.

"For why...? Money works, right? Ain't like all of us live out in a cave in the woods all the time." He says, smirking a little.

Alistair freezes up, before taking on a guarded tone.

"... I'm listening." He says, eyes narrowed a bit.

"Well. As long as you aren't fighting the wolf too hard, that's all but one day a month that you pass for normal. No problem keeping a job, with the occasional day off, so long as you work an extra day here and there to cover it. Not a problem for the Muggles, anyhow. Better off than you wizards in a lotta ways. Adapt easier, accept easier, continue to function easier. Easier all 'round. But as a head of the Pack... you're entitled to, lets say, a little percentage off the top. Sure, most'll go to them that earn it, but you can end up with... well, once exchanged for gold, call it enough to pay for meals at least. Isn't like you've got a whole mess of taxes or rent to pay, or the utitlity things that they have to deal with."

Alistair frowns in distaste at the whole matter, but you can see that he's slowly being talked around. Your gold won't last him forever, after all, and a steady source that doesn't involve unexpected generosity... You can see how it would be tempting, in his position.

You cough, drawing attention back to yourself.

"If that is all, then can I presume that there is a specific reason that..." you are wasting my time, is what you want to say, but you force your words to be somewhat more polite. "... that you have asked for my presence? I am busy, of course, and cannot spare time to simple whims of others, at the moment..."

"Just two things. First, I've had a look at you. You're fairly neutral, from what I've heard from the grease master and good sir Malfoy muttering about under their breath over their wine. They should know my senses are better than a humans, but it's like wizards just don't recall that sort of thing unless their attention is drawn to it. And I don't know what you are, but it isn't human. Not quite."

Alistair starts at this, and gives you a funny look, as Fenrir continues.

"Had to guess, you smell kind of like how the Dark Lord... but not really. In a vague sense. It's difficult to put to words, for people who don't listen to what their nose is seeing and tasting, but you've both got a pretty similar color to your scent, in one of the aftertastes. Not too much similarity, but it's a thing that doesn't get smelled often. It's not really any of my business, though."

"I see." You say, guardedly, contemplating how to respond to this relevation as he continues.

"But first, yeah. I've had a look at you. You'll do. You've got the runt's leash? I need you to keep holding on to it, and don't hand it over to anyone, on either side of things." He says, seriously. "And second, I need you to keep out of dealing with the Pack as much as possible. The last thing I need is for you to pick up more leashes that I'll have to rip out of your hands, later."

.... Just that? It doesn't actually seem that unreasonable, actually. You would likely have done something similar without being prompted. There's no need to let on about that, though.

"And in return? You have spoken of Alistair's recompense for this assistance. Have you anything in mind for my own?" You muse aloud.

"See, that's a trickier thing. I haven't had that much time to figure out what I have, that you might want, and so..."

He shrugs and grins widely, spreading open hands.

"... I guess that it could be a problem. But maybe we can say this. I'll owe you a seeerious favor, if you can think of something you need, that's in my power to give. Or get."

You sit up a little straighter, as your eyes flash, unable to completely disguise your interest in this offer. Where you aren't particularly interested in monetary recompense, a Favor, even one with reasonable restrictions, is a valuable and versatile piece of tender. A slight widening of the werewolf's grin suggests that, whether he knew this in advance or not, he's immediately been clued in to its acceptability. You aren't sure, however, whether he simply does not know the fact that he cannot simply forget a Favor, once given, or if he's aware of the risk and willing to take it anyway.

You take a moment to consider other, related matters. Your disease does not play well with others. As to whether you are susceptible to Lycanthropy, however... it's unknown. You believe not, but only with... after estimation, a sixty three percent certainty. There is a wide margin of error, and immunity is not at all guaranteed. The only way to be certain, would be an actual infection to determine the following results....

You have no intention to perform such an experiment. A course better avoided all around. Even so...

"I am curious, master Greyback." you say slowly. "About why you owe your allegiance to the Dark Lord, when it is clear that he does not have the best interests of your Pack in mind."

"It's a sticky situation." He admits. "But when you've got a choice between the regular public lashings and maybe an execution, and the occasional kick and maybe getting put down to make way for the new dog, it's not like there's so many options available. And twenty, thirty, forty years ago? Option seemed a lot more attractive. But once you make a choice like that, whether it's branded into your skin or not, there's no real turning back. Don't get me wrong. If I could take my pack and be across the Channel, that'd be one thing, but it's not a question of 'refugees', then. It's a question of 'An invasion from the British Dark Lord' on one side and 'Deserters' on the other."

"A quandary." You say aloud.

"You damn well bet. Of course, if I could catch the guy alone, with his back turned, it might be a whole 'nother story..." Fenrir shrugs. "But where he's a crazy bastard these days, he's a crazy paranoid bastard. He expects a backstabbing from one of his Loyal Underlings at some point, though he's not certain of where or when. Seems to trust Lestrange, as far as he trusts anyone. But she's a crazy bitch herself, from the beginning."

"Your options, therefore, are limited."

"Yep. What am I gonna do? Go to the Ministry and say 'Oh, hey, I'm really sorry about breaking all of your lot's abusive and restrictive laws, do you mind if I switch sides'? I'd be a fool. Kind of on their top-priority extermination lists, and all of that. Doesn't matter, though. I'll keep doing what's best for my Pack, and damn what any wizard thinks about it."

You nod, thoughtfully.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>>No. 54045
[x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.
[x] Ponder what Remilia would think of this conflict with all the information you have on it so far.

Not much else to do, unless Fenrir or Alistair still need us here. We still need to go see Rinnosuke to set up the bounty for students to help against Sanae (unless we intend to meet each youkai individually and set up rewards, which I think we don't want to do).
>>No. 54046
[x] Take some small measures to keep Alistair safe.

As nice as Alistair getting his shit kicked in would be for Fenrir, I rather like the mutt. Surely someone can think of some specific measures to protect him?
>>No. 54047
>>54046

Good point. Fenrir said "it's temporary", what he didn't say was "when I take them back, it won't be by tearing Alistair limb from limb to assert my authority".

[x] Establish with Fenrir how likely this little charade is to get my underling killed (by Fenrir, the Dark Lord, the Wizarding authorities, whoever).
[x]consider counter measures to any problems this line of questioning reveals and adopt any reasonable ones that don't take too much effort. Or at least take less effort than replacing Alistair with another competent, morally grey native guide.
x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.
[x] Ponder what Remilia would think of this conflict with all the information you have on it so far.
>>No. 54049
I think we should take the offer, we get a pack of werewolves we control by proxy. Which is always useful, ask Dresden. And the real kicker, we get a favor from Greyback, and considering what we found out from our little thing with Sanae. A favor is a big deal.
>>No. 54050
Hmm, I like the vote's so far but I'll hold off just in case I see something I like more.

On the other hand, I don't get what this vote is for. - Ponder what Remilia would think of this conflict with all the information you have on it so far.
>>No. 54053
>>54047
Calm down. Fenrir said it would be ugly only if Alistair makes trouble for him by actually becoming some sort of real Pack leader. So there shouldn't be any trouble from him.

>>54050
Just for fun really. So far, Patchouli imagined Remilia would be delighted that the sides of this conflict are so clearly defined for her to meddle in. Now, we know that the werewolves on Voldemort's side only stay with him because there's no other real option for them and that the Dark Lord himself is quite paranoid.
>>No. 54054
[x] Establish with Fenrir how likely this little charade is to get my underling killed (by Fenrir, the Dark Lord, the Wizarding authorities, whoever).
[x] Consider counter measures to any problems this line of questioning reveals and adopt any reasonable ones that take less effort than replacing Alistair with another competent, morally grey native guide.
[x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.
[x] Ponder what Remilia would think of this conflict with all the information you have on it so far.
>>No. 54055
[x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.

>>54049
I still suspect they'll be more trouble than they're worth but we'll see.
>>No. 54056
>>54049
Actually, the last thing Fenrir want is for us to have control of his pack by proxy, remember?
>>No. 54057
>>54056

No, proxy's fine. The last thing he wants is us in charge in fact. As long as we use Alistar as a buffer, it's fine.
>>No. 54060
>>54057
Suuure. And what did he tell Alistair to do? Just exist and make sure the others know he exist. Why did Fenrir go to Alistair? Because Fenrir knew others would preach to them or have them do things behind his back he wouldn't approve of.

Oh well, we're pretty much all in agreement to accept Fenrir's offer anyway. I doubt there will ever be a situation where we'll absolutely need many werewolves.
>>No. 54061
Making sure a bunch of Muggle werewolves know he exists sounds like a baaad idea for Alistair. It only takes one of them showing up with a shotgun looking to take control of the pack...

Which is why we should give him a golem or something.
>>No. 54065
[x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.
[x] Consider the possibility of a magician yoakai still being outside, you seem to share something with the dark lord by what Fenrir was saying, and beyond magic your only "oddities" that spring to mind are the disease (which he remarked on separately and is highly unlikely anyway) and yokaihood.
>>No. 54066
"The last thing I need is for you to pick up more leashes that I'll have to rip out of your hands, later."

Kinda sounds like he may be planning to rip away the leash we're already holding as well.
>>No. 54067
[X] Lycanthropy is a disease. Have Yamame examine it at some point.
>>No. 54068
>>54067
This could actually be interesting. We should keep that in mind for the future.
>>No. 54069
>>54068
So that she can eat him?
>>No. 54070
>>54069
Nah, probably not. Though if it's called for I wouldn't argue.
My point is that understanding more about lycantropy could be useful if we're going to be interacting with them again.
>>No. 54071
[x] Establish with Fenrir how likely this little charade is to get my underling killed (by Fenrir, the Dark Lord, the Wizarding authorities, whoever).
[x] Consider counter measures to any problems this line of questioning reveals and adopt any reasonable ones that take less effort than replacing Alistair with another competent, morally grey native guide.
[x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.
[x] Ponder what Remilia would think of this conflict with all the information you have on it so far.
[X] Lycanthropy is a disease. Have Yamame examine it at some point.
>>No. 54073
[x] Well, there's no reason to refuse this, especially with so little work involved.
-[x] Naturally, if there are any formalities involved in such an exchange make sure that you observe them.
[x] Unless Fenrir has more to say or Alistair wants a word with you, you should go. You have more to do today.
>>No. 54080
... I like this Fenrir. Well, not as a person, but as a character. He's wonderfully grey.
>>No. 54099
>>54080
>wonderfully grey
>Fenrir Greyback

Dohohohohoho.
>>No. 54164
Just finished reading this series up until this point and I have a couple thoughts/questions.

Does anyone know generally which book these events are occurring around? I'm not overly well versed in harry potter lore but I've narrowed it down to sometime after book 3 and before book 6. I'm just wondering were any clues dropped that make it more specific or has the author left the timeline intentionally vague to give himself more freedom?

Also just a thought that maybe people here have overlooked as it has been so long since patchy quest 1, but in the beginning when Dumbledore first saw Koakuma it seemed his surprise was solely on her demonic nature, however considering the rest of the timeline shouldn't he have known at least something about Koakuma as the Bloody Queen? Maybe he did initially think it was the Bloody Queen but after seeing the way she acted concluded it couldn't be the same demon? It could be an interesting plot point when someone at the school recognizes Koakuma and a giant shit storm breaks loose.

Also good job at trying to fight Sanae at ~60 hp, yeah that was a real smart idea. Lets try to not fuck up the other upcoming duel.
>>No. 54165
>>54164
Around Order of the Phoenix because Umbridge.
>>No. 54166
>> 54164

Setting aside the obvious fact that this is being mostly made up as we go along and back in PQ1 Koakuma's actions hadn't even been thought up by Kahi. . .

For Dumbledore to recognize Koakuma as the Bloody Queen would stretch the bounds of believability. There are a number of issues you aren't considering.

First, the Bloody Queen's actions appear to be significantly earlier in time -- over a generation at least, since Harry's parents weren't even born yet. The only later time we see her summoned was for Harry's grandfather's death during Voldemort's first reign, and everyone who saw her then died (PQ17). It's also made clear there that Dumbledore isn't aware of her interactions with Cepheus Potter.

In short, it's been decades since anything has been attributed to her, so Dumbledore isn't likely to think of her.

Second, there's no indication that Dumbledore ever saw or met the Bloody Queen. Her picture was never taken, and the majority of people who could describe her died. Expecting Dumbledore to recognize someone from a physical description he received decades before is a bit much.

Third, there's no indication that anyone (with the possible exception of Cepheus Potter) thought that the Bloody Queen was anything but human. Dumbledore is unlikely to associate a demon being used as servant with a presumably human criminal.


This isn't to say that someone wouldn't recognize her; it just seems unlikely that Dumbledore would. Moody is a better candidate -- he was part of a team that ran into her in PQ16, although he was sent for backup without actually seeing her.



On a separate note, the descriptions of the sword Potter made in PQ17 for killing Koa suggest that it might actually be useful for combating Voldemort -- Koa sees it actually damage the soul -- and Dumbledore is definitely aware of its existence.
>>No. 54168
>>54165
Thank you.

>>54166
I suppose you're right, what was only a couple threads ago was decades in the timeline. Even then these murders were so sporadic, going several years between sitings, it would make sense for people to not remember the Bloody Queen at first glance.
>>No. 54169
Could be cause she looked like Lily Potter, seeing as Koakuma is Lily's Grandma.

We should introduce Harry to his Great-Grandma sometime.
>>No. 54170
>>54164
>>54168
>>54169
In the future, when posting without a vote, please put "sage" in the Email field, without the quotes. It will prevent the thread from being pushed to the top of the page, and therefore prevent people who are patiently waiting for an update from getting their hopes raised and suddenly dashed.
>>No. 54175
Oh, ok sorry. Didn't know that.
>>No. 54181
Your not supposed to sage votes.
>>No. 54182
>>54181
...Whereas you sage non-vote posts. Hint, hint.
>>No. 54186
>>54182
Jesus Christ, get over yourself. No one cares.
>>No. 54187
>>54186
>guy reminds someone of important site etiquette in a non-hostile manner
>you tell them to get over themselves

Uh, I think you might have things the wrong way round here.
>>No. 54189
>>54186
The vast majority of the site's userbase cares, in fact, and taking a look at most of the discussion just in this thread would make this clear. Your refusal to sage posts according to the etiquette, despite polite reminders to do so, does nothing but get the story's readers hopes up (as previously mentioned) and make you look petulant and childish, not to mention lazy (honestly, it's four letters to type, not that difficult). In addition to this being rude to this story's readers, falsely bumping threads in this way often hides the fact that other stories in the board have updated. This inconveniences the readers who don't use, say, the watched threads tool or similar and find updates through the latest bumped threads or through a quick glance at the top of a board's page (admittedly, people should be willing to do more than this, but there are many who don't). As a result, it also inconveniences the writers of those stories who have less attention drawn to their update and receive less votes.

People check the thread when bumped because they want to read story updates, not random people's comments and especially not the valueless ones like >>54181 and >>54186. Your posts are not important, and if you absolutely have to say something about the story either sage it or wait until there's an update and type it up along with your vote.

tl;dr: Post properly or don't post at all, but for now you're just a nuisance.
>>No. 54190
>(honestly, it's four letters to type, not that difficult)

Actually, one letter is enough.
>>No. 54192
>>54190
Actually, it really does have to be "sage".

There is at least one other possible e-mail command. Entering "noko" will keep you on the thread after you post.
>>No. 54195
>>54192
Thanks! I though: black name=not bump
Don't know how I missed this.
>>No. 54196
...kay, he started another quest at SB, too.

I'm.. worried, somewhat. This means... let's see, 3 here, and 4, so... 7. Quests. Or maybe eight? Can't remember...
>>No. 54198
File 134371356450.jpg - (571.01KB, 750x1110, related Do It F.jpg) [iqdb]
54198
"If you were a betting man, Master Greyback, what exactly would you call the odds of Alistair coming to harm over this matter?" You ask politely.

Greyback considers this for a moment.

"... You might not want to spread it around." He says, directly to Alistair. "Aurors get jumpy about big groupings of Dark Creatures, am I right? And you might get one or two hotheads stopping by to test you out. But if they try to get smart and use silver, the whole pack will turn on them, flay the hide from them in strips, spray them with salt and vinegar, and burn the meat off their bones in a pit."

"And I'll be dead." Alistair points out, sourly.

"True. But you'll know in advance that the fuckers are gonna die just as horribly as you." Greyback says.

You aren't certain whether he doesn't really mean the encouragement, or if he's just not good at it, but the effect on Alistair is the same.

"Relax. You won't die as long as it's not silver, someone's actual teeth, or magic, so you're good. Mind, I'll have to come and show you what I think about fuckups, if you lose, but it's not a problem. Let's get rolling, eh?"

You're still considering the matter as Greyback slams a steel hunting knife down on the table, then stands and pulls his shirt off, tossing it aside before smacking his chest. You start paying attention, reasoning that events of cultural significance are about to ensue.

"Stab me, runt." Greyback demands.

"... I'm a pacifist, of sorts." Alistair grunts.

"Look like I give a fuck? Wolf doesn't understand words. It needs blood. Stab me. Do it."

Alistair picks up the knife and looks at it in some level of disgust.

"... We can't do this neatly? Ceremonial bloodletting might be understandable-"

"Fuck you and your whore of a mother, you're a piece of shit and the best part of you rolled down your mam's thigh when she shagged the family hound on pa's night out with the other working girls, you mangy sack of pus, your fur's no good for even a rug-"

Alistair slams the blade home, right into Greyback's heart, eyes flat and empty with mindless and bestial rage. Greyback grunts, and very slowly topples over onto the ground, where he starts bleeding all over the floor.

"... my hand just moved on its own." Alistair says, weakly, as he seems to come back a little to his senses, staring in a sort of dull horror at the still, limp, and wide-eyed body on the ground.

"... Can I eat that, if you don't want it?" Rumia asks politely, stepping over to look down in interest.

Greyback's whole body spasms.

Then his arm goes out, and grabs hold of a chair, which he flings irritably at Rumia, who yelps and barely manages to duck under it. He heaves a long, raspy breath, and sits up, clutching at the handle of the knife and groaning deeply as he slowly works it free of his chest. Something like Remi's vampiric regeneration, only vastly muted and with weaknesses.

"... And there y'go." He says, spitting a mouthful of blood aside and into the puddle. "Done deal."

"Great..." Alistair grumbles to himself.

".... If that is all, I do have other matters to attend to." You point out, rising from your seat.

It does put one more facet to this gemstone, you reflect. Light versus Dark lines up so neatly at first, but then the legal avenues and Dumbledore don't seem to completely mesh, and the evil overlord rightly fears betrayal from his underlings and in attempting to remove the risk, weakens himself and feeds the potential for the knife in the back to come...

Well, Remilia wouldn't be happy with it until she'd worked matters into a few dozen squabbling and interlinked factions on either side, spending more time infighting among themselves than battling the Other Side, while she sat back to sip wine and laugh.

... She's probably up to no good right now, come to think of it.

---
>>No. 54200
Next thread: >>54199
>>No. 54201
File 134371468577.jpg - (186.17KB, 850x1203, sample_819e63d3f131724d2b651921d7155544.jpg) [iqdb]
54201
[X] What is Koakuma and the others back in Gensokyou up to, anyhow? ^_^
- Might be a good idea to return home and finish work on gifts to the other instructors.
- Maybe also get batteries for some reason (we needed to get those right?)

A few questions, Kahi, if you don't mind them being asked
Is Cosette Evans even still around, living the life of a decadent rich old lady?

Also, how many days are left before term start? 2, 3 or something else?
>>No. 54209
>Also, how many days are left before term start? 2, 3 or something else?

2 days left
[Return][Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x