-  [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return][Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject  (Reply to 21798)
Message
Captcha
File
Password (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM, WEBP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 127317095651.jpg - (654.16KB, 740x1035, dae1be3c7b20e7dc56eea36176bc57a9.jpg) [iqdb]
21798No. 21798
Also known as 'A Touhou RPG - Thread two'

-----

[x] Home run

The door practically bursts off its hinges, a visible column of air ramming outward. A dark shape flies toward you, and you instinctively knock it away with the side of your sword. Only as it soars into the air above you, orphaned fedora gently spiraling down, that you recognize the shape as Renko.

Crap, crap, crap.

She lands, spinning, on top the roof, bounces once, and lies there, groaning dazedly.

Craaaap.

A sharp, forceful step snaps your attention back to the doorway, where a tall, silver haired woman now stands, a shimmering, ghostly sword in her hands. Very much a woman.

You take a step back, bringing your sword out in front of you, when she unexpectedly sighs, waving away her weapon. Her stance relaxes, and she brushes of her dress.

"Sorry. It's been awhile since I had any human visitors," she says, bowing. You return it with an awkward bow of your own. "Ah, come on in." She turns, beckoning to you with a raised hand. "Actually, wasn't there another person with you?"

On cue, Renko attempts to roll over, dislodging herself from the roof. She rolls quickly to the edge, bouncing up slightly from the gutter, and drops, spinning once more, for the ground.

"Ah-"

Just as you start to move, the woman calmly extends her hand, catching Renko with ease. Just as easily, she slings her over her shoulder and steps back into the house. Stunned, the two of you follow her inside in silence.

Everything past the entrance is buried in books. In most cases, that would be an exaggeration, but now it's an understatement. Towers of books reach almost to the ceiling at some places, and the floor is practically invisible. In the corner of the room, you'd swear you can see a bookshelf made of books.

"Please, make yourself at home. I'll get some tea." She sets Renko heavily on a relatively clear spot on the couch.

"Unngh..." groaning, Renko sits up and looks around. "What time is it...? No, where is this?" She reaches up, rubbing her eyes. "What happened?"

Mary shifts some books and takes a seat beside her. "We're still on the other side. You passed out, and the woman who lives here brought us inside.

"Hmmm..." Renko stretches out. "It feels like I slept on my table..."

Why do you know what that feels like?

The silver-haired woman returns, carrying a teapot and several cups.

"Oh good, you're awake."

"Who are you?" Renko winces as she turns her head.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Keine Kamisharo- Kimoshira- Kami-shira-sawa." She bows more deeply than before, her cheeks coloring slightly. "I hope you'll forgive the mess, Miss Hieda has been away for some time now. I'll help you with whatever I can in her absence, though."

"Miss Hieda?" You interject.

"You don't know her? Why did you come here, then?" Keine tilts her head. At the same time, you and Mary both turn to Renko, who blushes and scratches her head.

"Ahahaha~ I guess you could say we're explorers?"

"Hmmm... in that case, if you happen to see Miss Hieda in your travels, could you tell her to return quickly? I've been attempting to organize the archive while she's gone, but it's far more difficult than I had imagined... really, I think she's the only one who could remember all of these books." She lets out another sigh, her shoulders sagging. "While you're here, is there anything you'd like information about?"

[ ] Write-in

-----

You can ask info on anything, and if Keine knows it, she'll tell you. Yes, anything.
Expand all images
>>No. 21799
[x] More about the Misty Lake area; mention you explored some of it already.
[x] Inquire about beings that might be friendly and ones that are not.

These are just for starters, though I'm trying to remember what other areas we were considering.
>>No. 21803
[X] More about the Misty Lake area; mention you explored some of it already.

Going for 100% completion.

[X] Inquire about beings that might be friendly and ones that are not.

New party members?
>>No. 21810
Some things you could ask about, if you want:

Geography - any specific location or in general, or even something like "dangerous area", "populated area", etc.

Creatures - again, any specific creatures, kind of creature, creatures found in an area, countermeasures against them, etc.

World mechanics - a bit more vague, but you could ask her about the inner workings of the world, or, for example, why some specific effect is happening. Or something. Yeah.

History! Her specialty, sort-of. Learn the native culture and events of Gensokyo.
>>No. 21811
[X] Geography
[X] Creatures
[X] World mechanics
[X] History
[X] All of the above as much as possible, breaching all subjects.

Go for the massive wall.
>>No. 21813
[x] Wall me.

Did she just struggle with her own name?
>>No. 21823
Okay, calling for the general stuff all mentioned, with emphasis on "friend or foe" and the Misty Lake.

Writing when I get done with stuff.
>>No. 21824
>>21813
Seems so.
>>No. 21825
>>21813
To be fair, most everybody struggles with her name at some point.
>>No. 21826
File 127335353312.png - (952.72KB, 1280x960, f78d88bcb4622b4d8c298766037e0739.png) [iqdb]
21826
>>21813

Yes.

-----

[x] Wall

"Well, first-" you reach into your back pocket and produce a folded piece of paper, "-could you tell us a bit more about this area?"

Spreading it out on the table (which is also, you notice, supported by books), you point to the outline of a lake in the center.

"Ah, the misty lake?" Keine cranes her head around, turning the paper to face her. "It's almost the center of Gensokyo, so quite a few humans have settled around it, myself and Morichika you've already met. It's aptly named, the fog over the lake hasn't lifted in close to a century."

"The cold climate attracted a lot of ice fairies, or it may have produced them. As their numbers grew, the area got colder, which brought more of them, until the place is practically overrun with them. As such, not many actual Youkai live around there; too cold, not enough food, too many annoying fairies, the reasons vary, but most youkai hate it, which is enough to attract a certain kind of human. There is, however, one exception."

Taking a breath, she moves her finger up to the north of the lake, where she produces a pencil and sketches in a little peninsula with some kind of house on it.

"The Scarlet Devil Mansion. It's ruled by an incredibly powerful vampire. I've had the misfortune to fight her before, and I will tell you: If you value life and limb, avoid her if you have any choice."

The stick figures she's drawn around it somewhat spoil the effect, unfortunately.

"Where did you get that map?" Renko asks, peering over your shoulder.

"I drew it last night."

She lets out a low whistle.

"Was there anything else?"

Keine turns toward you, folding her hands on her lap.

"Do you know anyone else who would be willing to give us help?" Mary in chimes from the couch.

"Hm, yes..." the pencil returns, and she begins to place scribble small names around various sections of the map, adding features as she goes. "Rinnosuke you've met, of course. He deals in tools from the Outside, but in reality he'll buy and sell just about anything that strikes his fancy. He's also got a keen eye, so he can help you identify anything you might come across. Naturally, I'll be available any time you need information, and if you happen to come across Miss Hieda I'm sure she will help you as well."

She straightens up, her drawings finished.

"Marisa Kirasame runs a magic shop in the forest. While I would advise you to be cautious of anything she sells, especially what she makes herself, her services could still prove most useful. Hakurei Reimu is the resident shrine maiden, it generally falls to her to resolve any major incidents that occur. However, short of something threatening Gensokyo itself or her shrine, she cannot be expected to intervene."

"Eientei is located in the bamboo forest, though it's residents are mostly youkai they are friendly. Eirin, the resident doctor, is truly magnificent at her work, I'm certain she could treat any kind of injury or sickness you might discover. Lastly, there are quite a few kappa at the foot of the mountain. If you manage to find one that doesn't run away, they will probably be willing to help you. Probably."

"It's pretty accurate, too... did you take pictures or something?"

"No, it was from memory." You gently push Renko off your back. "Can you tell us more about the creatures? You've mentioned fairies and youkai."

"Of course. Fairies, are, as you know, manifestations of nature. They tend to be mischievous rather than malevolent, reincarnate quickly, and lack both strength and intelligence. The great fairies are a partial exception, they can sometimes become quite fearsome, and often learn human language. They are still just fairies, though.

"Youkai are the embodiments of human fear, be it collected in an existing container such as an animal, a tool, or even another human, or condensed directly into a conceptual youkai. Youkai vary greatly in almost all respects, though as a rule all of them must attack humans. The level of said attack will depend on their specific temperament and type, but nonetheless you should never lower your guard around them." She counts off her fingers.

"Lastly are the gods. They are the embodiments of humans' faith, and are the antithesis to youkai. The odds of provoking one are extremely low, not in the least because Gensokyo's gods have slowly dwindled in both power and numbers in recent years. Of course, it would be a mistake to completely lower your guard around them, as some of them are more... archaic in their ways."

She takes a punctual sip of her tea.

She sounds like your teacher from first grade.

"You sound like my teacher from first grade," Renko remarks, lying on the floor.

Keine blushes slighty. "Ah, I do?"

Is she... smiling?

By the time she stops, you've manage to make your expression carefully blank.

"Ah, was there anything else?"

"No, I think that's all. Thank you for the tea."

"You're welcome. And please remember to tell Miss Hieda to come back if you see her."

----

Map updated -
Youkai Mountain added.
SDM added.
Marisa's shop added.
Bamboo forest added.
Eientei added.
Hakurei Shrine added.

Quest activated: Missing scholar.

----

You step out into the sunlight again and stretch. While your encounter was quite educational, it did take up a lot of time.

Renko comes out behind you, carrying the map.

"So, where should we head for next?"

Pick a destination!

[ ] Youkai Mountain
[ ] Misty Lake
- [ ] SDM
[ ] Forest of Magic
- [ ] Marisa's shop
[ ] Bamboo forest
- [ ] Eientei
[ ] Hakurei Shrine

-----

You'll have time to explore maybe one area or so before you need to head back for the day.
>>No. 21827
[X] Hakurei Shrine
>>No. 21829
Forgot to add:

[ ] Misty lake
- [ ] Kourindou
>>No. 21831
should have asked where Akyu was going...
>>No. 21832
>>21831

Keine doesn't know, to be fair.
>>No. 21833
[X] Hakurei Shrine
-[X] Offer to help Keine find Miss Hieda
>>No. 21834
[X] Hakurei Shrine
-[X] Offer to help Keine find Miss Hieda first

Side questin gaems
>>No. 21835
The sidequest is already accepted.

Vote called for "[x] Hakurei Shrine"

Writing soon.
>>No. 21836
[X] Hakurei Shrine

>Offer to help Keine find Miss Hieda
We just said goodbye. Also, we implicitly agreed to look for her when Keine asked in >>21798 and we didn't decline. If Keine had any leads on where Akyuu is, she'd have either told us or followed up herself. We'll just have to wander around until we find her or some info about her whereabouts.
>>No. 21855
File 127360144072.jpg - (100.65KB, 400x1200, 4e5297e3d51523db8d1b64a042aa6f95.jpg) [iqdb]
21855
Sorry for taking so long.

-----

[x] Hakurei Shrine

"How about the shrine?" You lean back, pointing on the map. "Who knows, we might find something of help."

"Well then, off we go!" As Renko warms up for a dash, you grab her collar and manage to hoist her a few inches of the ground.

"No. You are not dragging us all the way there. You are not going to run off ahead. We're going to walk there at a reasonable, comfortable pace. We will take the chance to relax and recover."

She puffs her cheeks and folds her arms, but otherwise doesn't protest. You let her down with a sigh.

"Alright, let's go."

The three of you set off toward the shrine at a leisurely pace, with Renko sulking along behind you.

---

The trip is slower this time, but you use the chance to take in more of this world's beauty. Something about it- the long, swaying grass, the ancient, peaceful, trees, the sweet smell in the air- it makes you feel more alive than you've ever felt at home. By the time you reach the base of the stairs, even Renko has cheered up, chatting happily with Mary and pointing out various rare plants and animals.

It's like a dream, isn't it? Everything you do here seems so effortless. Your body is lighter, faster, stronger. Yet because of that, this place seems so fragile; as though if you were to look too hard you'd see through it.

Now isn't the time to be thinking too hard.

With a grunt, you hoist Mary back to balance from where she nearly fell. However stronger you may be in this place, the stairs here are so ridiculously steep it isn't even funny. It's amazing anyone lives up here at all.

Two footsteps, further down the slope, in the brush. One barefoot. They're trying to move quietly, and doing a good job.

But not quite good enough.


:: Battle, Start! ::

Enemies:

Claw Youkai - Level 3 Monster - HP: 45/45 MP: 60/60
Shot Youkai - Level 3 Monster - HP: 45/45 MP: 60/60

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 90/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16|H: 83+5%|C: 7%|
|D: 6|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 60/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11|H: 88%|C: 13+5%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 30/30 MP: 120/120
|A: 6|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 15+5%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x9, Mana (MP +30) x7, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:
[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

Do you know what time it is? It's battle time!

Three-turn mode still. Also tweaked the damage formula a bit, damages should be less pathetic most of the time.
>>No. 21856
[x]You: Stealth, Attack x2 (Claw Youkai)
Renko: Stealth, Attack x2 (Claw Youkai)
Maribel: Barrier (Maribel), Flare x2 (Claw Youkai)

If the first is dead, then the shot youkai.
>>No. 21857
[X] You - Combo, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Mary - Bind (Shot Youkai), Flare (Claw Youkai) x2

Stun one and then beat down the other. I'm guessing the claw youkai will do more damage and takes priority. How long does the stun status effect last?
>>No. 21859
[X] You - Combo, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Mary - Bind (Shot Youkai), Flare (Claw Youkai) x2

Seems to work for me
>>No. 21861
>>21857

In this case it lasts one turn. It'll prevent them from performing any actions or evading. Naturally, for it to be useful Mary has to keep casting it, for the most part.
>>No. 21862
[X] You - Combo, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Mary - Bind (Shot Youkai), Flare (Claw Youkai) x2

Sure, keep one down temporarily, while permanently taking out the other.
>>No. 21863
Called, writing in the morning.

[X] You - Combo, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Mary - Bind (Shot Youkai), Flare (Claw Youkai) x2

Wins.
>>No. 21869
Battle theme, which I forgot last time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJR2C_U7TuQ

-----

[X] You - Combo, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack (Claw Youkai) x2
[X] Mary - Bind (Shot Youkai), Flare (Claw Youkai) x2

"Mary, Ren, behind!" You quickly tap both of their shoulders.

Renko immediately spins around, then swerves into the brush as you mark their position. Using the height to your advantage, you catapult yourself down with a single step, sword raised high above your head.

You bring it crashing down on the head of a large, vaguely-human figure with a warped, doglike face. It doubles over from the force of the blow, howling and snarling at the same time. Bringing one foot around, you twist your body, sweeping the sword at the other creature- a kind of amalgamation of bird and man- but it simply leaps over you.

Recovering quickly, the dog-head extends its claws, sweeping upward toward you. You nimbly dance out of the way as their razor tips rake the air where you stood.

The bird-like creature emerges from behind the other's shadow. Spines sprout from his clenched fists, but as he raises them to strike, a bright light surrounds him. The air distorts, bending and coiling itself around his limbs.

Seizing the chance, you thrust at the clawed beast, who sidesteps at the last moment. Before he has a chance to gloat, however, Renko's knife flashes out of the woods behind him. She drives it into his back with both hands, bracing herself as his skin is suddenly surrounded by flames.

"Good timing!" Renko shouts, as Mary descends lightly from the stairs to the dirt ground.

With a resounding 'crack' the other breaks free from his bindings, shrieking in rage. The three of you spin toward him, but too slowly. More spines grow up his arms, and as he tenses his muscles they begin to fire out in all directions. You barely deflect one that slices your arm, though the girls don't fare so well- One pierces Renko calf and goes out the other side, while another buries itself in Mary's shoulder.

The half-dog stands up, his eyes glazing over as new skin begins to form over him.

"Damn..."

You switch the blade to your left hand and step forward. The dog roars at the sudden advance, raising its claws, but your blade rises quickly, driving the point into its sternum. Renko recovers, leaping up to grasp the hilt of her knife, still stuck in the creature's back, and drag it through, up to its neck. It freezes for a moment, arms still raised, before toppling over sideways.

Clutching her shoulder, Mary lets off another burst of flame, singing off the feathers on the bird monster's arms. With a cry of anger it fires another spine, which narrowly grazes Mary's side.

You and Renko turn to face it, now, as the dog's corpse dissolves into dust and ashes.

---

Results:

* You took 1 damage.
* Renko took 7 damage.
* Mary took 9 damage.
* Mary spent 25 MP.
* Claw Youkai died.
* Shot Youkai took 11 damage.

Enemies:
Shot Youkai - Level 3 Monster - HP: 34/45 MP: 60/60

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 89/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16|H: 83+5%|C: 7%|
|D: 6|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 53/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11|H: 88%|C: 13+5%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 21/30 MP: 95/120
|A: 6|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 15+5%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x9, Mana (MP +30) x7, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:
[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

The new calculation is working as intended!
>>No. 21871
[X] You - Attack x3
[X] Renko - Attack x3
[X] Mary - Flare, Attack x2

An all-out attack to finish this battle quickly.
>>No. 21873
[X] You - Attack x3
[X] Renko - Attack x3
[X] Mary - Bind, Flare, Attack x1

Just to ensure that it can't get away from us. Remember, it can just fly higher and away while picking us off.
>>No. 21876
[X] You - Attack x3
[X] Renko - Attack x3
[X] Mary - Bind, Flare, Attack x1

What >>21873 said.
>>No. 21881
[X] You - Attack x3
[X] Renko - Attack x3
[X] Mary - Attack x3 - IF Battle = Over AND HP < 25 USE Heal ON Herself.
>>No. 21882
[X] You - Attack x3
[X] Renko - Attack x3
[X] Mary - Bind, Flare, Attack x1
>>No. 21883
[X] You - Attack x3
[X] Renko - Attack x3
[X] Mary - Bind, Flare, Attack x1

Wins. writing soon.
>>No. 21891
Battle, part 2

Sorry for the delays. Again.

-----

[x] You - Attack x3
[x] Renko - Attack x3
[x] Mary - Bind, Flare, Attack x1

You and Renko sprint toward the monster side by side, raising your weapons simultaneously. When you come within reach, you bend down, hitting its legs with a horizontal sweep. As it prepares its spines again, a golden glow surrounds it, bracing its arms back.

Renko steps on your back, vaulting lightly over the creature, slashing at its face as she goes. It howls in rage, squirming futilely as the two of your draw back for another attack. This time you hit him squarely in the chest, knocking him back a bit, while Renko slashes across his back.

As the bird-man pulls at the binding, they suddenly turn brilliant orange, bursting into coils of flame that coat his body, turning his skin black. With a cracked whisper escaping his "lips", he collapses to the ground.

"Heh. That wasn't to hard now, was it?" Renko closes her knife, slipping it into the Parka's pocket.

"Mary, are you okay?" You walk toward her as she grasps the spine and pulls it out. Renko takes it from her and, holding it lightly, begins to examine it.

"Hmmm. It looks like some kind of... wax?" She rubs a flake of it between her fingers. "Definitely wax. Looks like some kind of pin feather or something.

"So, the bird was shooting us with its feathers?" You ask, as you help Mary to her feet. "What an original kind of attack."

You hear something hiss behind you. Turning, you are just in time to see the bird creature, his cracked skin giving way to new flesh, raise his arms. A dozen spines shoot out, faster than your eyes can follow, faster than you can dodge. Renko reacts the fastest, jumping to the side as soon as the first one hits her, taking only another scratch on her arm. Several more of them strike you, piercing your arms and legs as you try to shield yourself.

A single shot reaches Mary, striking her through the chest.

No

Ignoring the pain in your forearm, you swing your sword out in an arc, cutting down a down another row of them in the air. In two steps, you've reached the enemy, but his crazed eyes don't see you. Your hand comes back in a smooth motion, the edge of the wooden blade striking the monster's neck. It seems to compress, like putty, simply flowing around the weapon. Then, with a small, sickening 'pop', his head detaches, dropping to the ground.

In a matter of seconds, all that remains of the monster is a pile of dust and ashes, barely higher than the earth around it.

---

Battle clear! +70 power, +30 points (total: 139 points)

Found one Claws (A: 5, H: 75%, C: 6%) (Renko)!
Found one Potion!
Found one Mana!

New creature index: "Lesser Youkai"

---

[Mary heals herself. HP +16, MP -10]

By the time you get back, Mary is sitting upright, supported by Renko. Blue light comes from her hands, gathering on her chest. When it disappears, so has her wound, even the shirt is clean of blood.

"Are you two alright?"

"Yes, now. You should worry about yourself though, too."

You glance at the small punctures running along all of your limbs.

"Eh. It's nothing major," you finally respond, shrugging your shoulders. "We should get going if we want to get there in time, it's still a long ways up."

"We still have to climb that?" Renko moans, looking up the long staircase.

"You've got a better solution?" You raise an eyebrow at her. She sighs. "Mary, you think you'll be able to make it up? I could carry you if you wanted."

"Ah, no, I'm fine." She waves it off, flustered.

"Why are you just offering to carry her?"

"What, you want me to carry you?"

"Ah-"

[ ] Carry her
[ ] It's a joke

---

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 75/90 MP: 30/30
Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 47/60 MP: 15/15
Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 20/30 MP: 70/120

-----

So yeah, a choice. I swear you'll reach the shrine next update. Also, you can check out your equipment if you want.
>>No. 21892
[x] Check inventory.
[x] Carry her
>>No. 21893
[x] Check inventory.
[x] Carry her
>>No. 21894
[X] It's a joke
[X] Creature Index: Lesser youkai

Sheesh Renko, you drag us everywhere in a hurry, but one long staircase and you whine? I'd rather keep my hands free in case Mary needs help up.

>Found one Claws (A: 5, H: 75%, C: 6%) (Renko)!
>Pocket Knife (A: 5, H: 80%, C: 10%)
I was hoping this would be an upgrade for Renko but it isn't. Vendor trash.
>>No. 21896
[x] inventory

Potion (HP +15) x10
Mana (MP +30) x8
Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5
Fancy Dress (D: 2, E: 12%, S: 5%) (Ma) (Ren)
Claws (A: 5, H: 75%, C: 6%) (Ren)

Worn:

Girl's Parka (D:2, E: 17%, S: 12%) - Renko
Pocket Knife (A: 5, H: 80%, C: 10%) - Renko
Leather Shirt (D: 3, E: 15%, S: 10%) - Mary
Chill Shot (A: 3, H: 80%, C: 2%) - Mary
Leather Shirt (D: 3, E: 15%, S: 10%) - You
Wood Sword (A: 7, H: 78%, C: 5%) - You

>>21894

Oh damn, I should have noticed her knife was already better. Oh well.
>>No. 21897
Stats:
Claw Youkai - Level 3 Monster - HP: 45/45 MP: 60/60
|Atk: 11|Hit: 78%|Crit: 9%|
|Def: 2|Evd: 10%|Save: 3%|
Skill: Regeneration (HP+ 5%, Self), Wrath (auto, Atk+ at low HP), Flurry (Atk/2, Hits x 3)
Spell: None

Shot Youkai - Level 3 Monster - HP: 45/45 MP: 60/60
|Atk: 8|Hit: 88%|Crit: 4%|
|Def: 2|Evd: 10%|Save: 3%|
Skill: Regeneration (HP+ 5%, Self), Spread shot (hit all, hit%-)
Spell: None

Youkai are beings formed from human fear. There are numerous classifications of youkai, based on it's original form, be it human, animal, plant, object, or even none at all, age, and disposition. All youkai are, as a part of their nature, obligated to attack humans in some way, or they will eventually wither away and die. This is especially true of young, weak youkai, who's desperation often drives them to recklessly attack travelers and towns.

Lesser youkai are often newborns, and lack worldly knowledge. As such, their attacks are will be inelegant, often resembling those of a wild animal. The simplest countermeasure against them is to simply treat them as you would any other beast- they can be easily deceived or intimidated by a show of force. They tend to lurk near lonely roads and abandoned buildings, the better to ambush their prey at night.

Since the strength of a youkai is directly dependent on how much it is feared, a fearless person is a youkai's greatest weakness, and, by connection, has little to fear.

>>No. 21898
[X] It's a joke

Too bad we weren't a stronger class as to carry BOTH up.
>>No. 21899
>>21896
Well, not everything we get is a upgrade right?


[x] Carry her
>>No. 21900
Called for "carry her". Writing soon.
>>No. 21928
I blame my delays on weekend laziness and HY writing again fuck yeah.

-----

[Q] Carry her

In a single, easy movement you crouch down and sidestep under her, grabbing her legs, and stand up. She panics, pinwheeling her arms before finally wrapping them tightly around your shoulders.

"What are you doing?!" Renko shouts into your ear, almost deafening you.

You cringe away.

"I'm carrying you. You asked for it, didn't you?" Shrugging your shoulders, you adjust your hold on her. "Don't complain about it."

"A-ah..." You feel her legs relax, and her grip loosens a bit.

"You sure you'll be alright, Mary?" She struggles to keep a straight face as you turn toward her.

"Y-yes, I'm fine." She waves her free hand, using the over to cover her mouth. A single giggle escapes as you step back up on to the stairs themselves. Renko clutches your shirt a little tighter.

You try to keep an eye on Mary as you continue you ascent, even though you aren't really sure what you could do, short of dropping- or throwing- Renko. Either one would probably end with her killing you.

Eventually, as the sun dips low on the horizon, you reach the summit. The stair levels out under a shrine gate, vanishing into the wide, flat plateau. Taking a few weary steps, you deposit Renko and drop to your hands and knees.

"Why.. would they put... a shrine... up this high?" you lament between gasps. Despite what you'd said before, your injuries really were starting to hurt now- you'd carried Renko the whole trip anyway, out of stubborn pride.

"More importantly... where is everyone?" Mary looks around, fanning herself with her hand.

"Well, maybe they're all just inside," Renko says with a shrug, "or maybe they're not in right now."

"One way to find out." You straighten up, brushing yourself off, and walk toward the front of the shrine. As you get closer, you notice that the donation box seems to be the only thing with new paint.

[ ] Listen at the door
[ ] Knock
[ ] Just go in
- [ ] Make a donation? (specify amount) (139 points total)

-----

Hopefully this doesn't feel too bland, but I'm strapped for more interesting ideas.
>>No. 21929
[x] Knock
-[x] Donate 25 points.
>>No. 21930
[X] Knock
- [X] Make a donation?
- - [X] 70 points(?)
>>No. 21931
[X] Knock
- [X] Make a donation?
- - [X] 70 points(?)
>>No. 21932
[X] Knock
- [X] Make a donation?
- - [X] 70 points(?)
>>No. 21934
> blame my delays on weekend laziness...

That's what they all sa-

> ...and HY writing again fuck yeah

...You're excused.

[X] Knock
- [X] Make a donation?
- - [X] 70 points(?)

I wonder what we'll get?
>>No. 21935
Calling for:

[X] Knock
- [X] Make a donation?
- - [X] 70 points(?)

Writing soon.
>>No. 21942
File 127411577067.png - (250.13KB, 640x480, b7f11ac56f6793548069cdf7f4532ca5.png) [iqdb]
21942
-----

>I wonder what we'll get?
Happiness. Or so the sign says.

-----

[X] Knock
- [X] Make a donation?
- - [X] 70 points

You knock on the door once, twice. There's no response.

"...I guess they're not here, then." Renko sighs and puts her hands on her hips. "I was looking forward to meeting them."

Mary puts a hand on her shoulder. "We can drop by again later. I'm sure they'll be in soon."

As you pass the donation box again, you feel a pang of something. Charity? Nostalgia? Pity? You're not sure. Whatever it is, you walk around in front, and drop the coins through the slot.

[ ] make a wish?

A string of fast thumps come from the bowels of the shrine, approaching rapidly, and the door flies open. A short-haired girl, barely older than you and dressed in a shrine maiden's outfit comes out. Moving directly to the donation box, she opens it immediately.

Her face lights up- no, perhaps it would be better to say it glows- as she retrieves the money from inside. Her smile is... very... wow.

---

Some minutes later, the four of your are seated on the porch, drinking tea. The girl introduced herself as Hakurei Reimu, the current priestess of the shrine and the only (human) inhabitant.

"Sorry, I don't get many guest normally. No, actually," she corrects herself, "I do get a lot of guest, but none of them are invited, or donate. Most of them just want me to do something for them, or just like to bother me." She sighs. "It's been a while since I got any donations. I thought I was really going to starve..."

Renko pats her on the shoulder.

"The staircase doesn't help much for visitors."

"It's not my fault the shrine's up here. It's always been up here."

"The youkai don't help, either." You remark.

"That's... well, there's a lot of them, you know. It's hard to get rid of them all. Like ants." She nods to herself.

"If no one comes here, what do you do?" Mary leans her head curiously.

"Well, once in a while something really big happens, and I have to resolve it. Otherwise, I just have to keep existing, I guess." She shrugs her shoulders. "It's pretty boring around here, usually."

"Oh, that's right..." You pull a note out of your pocket. "Have you seen a Miss... Hieda recently?"

"Oh, the historian girl? Yeah, actually. She came up here a week ago and asked me a lot of questions. I was really surprised." Reimu paused to take another sip of her tea.

"Hm." You slide the map underneath and mark "1 week" next to the shrine. "Thanks." You stand up, and glance at the sky. "It's getting late. We should probably head back now. Mary, Renko."

The two girls get up as well, and after saying your goodbyes to Reimu, start down the staircase.

"Come by again sometime!"

You take another glance at the sky, then to the cloud of fog in the distance.

"Damn, we probably should have left earlier. At this rate it'll be night by the time we get back to the door."

"Oh, that won't be a problem," Maribel says, turning off the steps, into the woods. "I spotted this on the way up." She stops in front of a seemingly empty space. Grasping something in the air in her fist, she turns it, and suddenly the tell-tale cracks form in the air around the edges.

"Wait a moment, are you sure where that leads?"

"No, but it couldn't hurt, right?" With a smile, she pulls open the door and steps through.

"Wait-" You and Renko move at the same instant, leaping through the newly-opened passage and landing in...

...The back of the coffee shop, just outside the bathroom.

"-what?"

"Ah, so it's back here again~" Mary claps her hands.

"That... almost makes sense." Renko massages her head.

"Look at the mural." You gesture to the wall you'd just come from. The painting on it has changed- to the ordinary eye, the difference is indistinguishable, but you know the area. Now, instead of showing the clearing you'd first arrived in, it shows the wooded area near the steps.

"Ooh, so it changes?"

"It certainly seems that way."

"I wonder how it works..."

Idle chatter fills the time as you remove your collections and stuff them back into the shopping bags. You notice that the wounds from earlier are almost completely gone, only red spots remain.

"See you tomorrow."
"Bye!"
"Goodnight."

You part ways in front of the shop again, waving back to them as the stroll off into the darkening dusk. The evening air is cooler, but still, something feels... lacking, something you can't quite put your finger on.

I wonder where those two live, anyway...

DAY 2 - END

-----

So, no choices this update. I need to do a bit of planning, then I'll start day 3.

Any feedback on the system so far? Complaints, issues you spotted, suggestions, that sort of thing? Of course applies to the story itself, too.
>>No. 21943
Oh actually there is a vote- if you want, you can make a wish with the donation you made. You can wish for pretty much anything you want, though at 70 points results may vary.

Or if you want, you could not wish. It's up to you.
>>No. 21944
[ ] Make a Wish
- [ ] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel

Nothing really else to wish for.
>>No. 21945
[X] Make a Wish
-[x] Wish for more wishes
-[X] Wish for a harem ending
[X] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel

The d'aww-inducing option.
>>No. 21946
>>21945
>-[x] Wish for more wishes
Nice try, it doesn't work that way.

>-[X] Wish for a harem ending
It'll take more than one 70-point donation to a single shrine to get that wish.
>>No. 21947
>>21946

Somehow, I knew you'd say that. Can't blame a guy for trying, though.
>>No. 21948
[x] Make a Wish
- [x] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel no matter what happens
>>No. 21949
[X] Keep the wish for later.


That wouldn't work I bet, but it would be useful if it did.
>>No. 21950
[X] Make a Wish
-[X] Max stat gains per level
>>No. 21951
[X] Make a Wish
-[X] Max stat gains per level

That'd be pretty good. Tangable, useful, and unlikely to backfire in our faces.

I hope.
>>No. 21952
[X] Make a Wish
-[X] Max stat gains per level

I can dig it.
>>No. 21953
>>21950
>>21951
>>21952

Stats over friendship? Someone has their priorities badly misplaced.
>>No. 21954
In RPG terms, I'd rather have the affection points than the stat points, since there's limited chances to obtain affection points but levels offer stat points anyways.
>>No. 21957
[X] Make a Wish
- [X] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel no matter what happens
>>No. 21960
>>21954
Also seeing how this is a rather simplified system, the stat wish might not have much use at all.
>>No. 21965
>>21960

Precisely. Or to be exact, you always have max stat gains per level, though in the spirit of things I could slightly increase them anyway.

Also! Today will be a no-update day so I can catch up on my work and stuff.
>>No. 21969
[x] Make a Wish
- [x] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel no matter what happens

Meh, we're fine as far as stats go for now.
>>No. 21970
>>21798
>You can ask info on anything, and if Keine knows it, she'll tell you. Yes, anything.
In retrospect, we should have asked her for her three sizes.
>>No. 21971
>>21970
I'd rather find out Renko and Mary's; but not that it should ever be asked.
>>No. 21975
>>21971
[X] Make a wish
- [X] To learn Mary and Renko's three sizes
>>No. 21977
>>21975
[x] Make a wish to have the god-like power to ascertain the three sizes of any woman just by looking at them...
[x]...and unceremoniously blurt out your findings to the women in question.

'Cause for only 70 coins, you can't have your cake and skip the bill, too.
>>No. 21978
[x] Make a Wish
- [x] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel no matter what happens
>>No. 21980
[X] Make a Wish
- [X] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel no matter what happens
>>No. 21981
[x] Make a Wish
- [x] To always be friends with Renko and Maribel no matter what happens

"You feel yourself grow closer to the girls." ★
>>No. 21983
So yeah, Internet's been crap and unreliable all day, so I wasn't able to get actual writing done, though I did plan out the scenes. I'll get back to trying to write tomorrow, assuming the net's stable then.
>>No. 22027
>>21983

You okay yet?
>>No. 22028
>>22027

In terms of connection, yes. But not so for my schedule, alas.

Be assured I'm working on it, though.
>>No. 22033
>>22028
Good to know~!
>>No. 22052
File 127497115434.jpg - (338.11KB, 860x870, 6b0cb8a049a5f6afa306bce4a1b056ae.jpg) [iqdb]
22052
>1 week to update
It's like I'm really a writefag!

-----

DAY 3 - START

Twisting the cricks out of your neck as you walk down the street, you round the corner by the café. In the early morning light, you catch sight of two unexpected figures.

"What are you two doing out here, still?"

Mary turns and smiles as you approach. "You're here! I was worried you wouldn't come before lunch, and then we'd have to wait."

Renko pulls herself away from the window, where she had cupped her hands to peer inside. You glance between her embarrassed expression and Mary's enthused smile, raising an eyebrow.

"You weren't planning anything illegal, were you?"

"No!" Renko presses her finger against the glass. "It's the mural!"

You hold up your hand to block the reflection, and peer into the darkness of the empty shop.

"...what about it?" It's still a bit dusty, but it's not like you see anything weird about...

"Look closer!" Renko goes up on her toes, pushing your head closer to the glass, and points. "There!"

You look at where she's pointing. Now that she mentions it, there does seem to be a pair of eyes there...

Almost as soon as you notice them, the rest of the figure seems to jump out of picture- A small girl, blond-haired, in a black dress.

"Oh, that? I saw that before. I thought you meant something else." Brushing her hand off the back of your head, you straighten up.

Renko falters. "You, too!?"

"I told you, Renko," Mary says, placing a hand on her shoulder, "it's pretty obvious."

As Renko sighs and slumps down against the window, Mary turns to you and continues.

"Apparently, the café doesn't seem to open until after lunch time. We were thinking of calling you, but we realized we don't have your cell phone number."

"Oh, sorry about that."

"Don't worry about it, it's not a problem!" She waves her hand dismissively. "As it stands, though, we've still got quite a bit of time to kill..."

[ ] The park sounds nice and relaxing
[ ] Get a something to eat at a restaurant
[ ] What the hell, shop for something
[ ] Other? (write-in)

-----

This choice is story, not stat boosting.
>>No. 22053
[c] Get a something to eat at a restaurant.
[c] After that, head to the park.
>>No. 22054
[ ] The park sounds nice and relaxing
[ ] If food was really a problem, you wouldn't be RPG characters the cafe can take care of it. No need to rush it.
>>No. 22055
[x] The park sounds nice and relaxing

We can always go take a bite when the cafe opens.
>>No. 22056
[X] The park sounds nice and relaxing

>A small girl, blond-haired, in a black dress.
Marisa encounter in the near future?
>>No. 22058
[x] The park sounds nice and relaxing

>>22056
Or Rumia (In before "Is that so?")
>>No. 22066
[x] The park sounds nice and relaxing.
[x] Give them both your cell number; remember to get their's in return.
>>No. 22073
[Q] The park sounds nice and relaxing

Writing soon.
>>No. 22108
It's been something like a week, so I figured it'd be a good idea to check in here. I'm not dead, I'm still working on writing the update, but I've been having a rather unfocused week. I hope to get back into the groove of things soon.

Especially with Nine's "make /border/ the fastest-updating board" dream.
>>No. 22110
>>22108

/sdm/ will have a few things to say about that, then.
>>No. 22113
[X] The park sounds nice and relaxing
>>No. 22114
>>22108
>fastest-updating

Hey! I said faster, not fastest!
>>No. 22116
>>22108
>fastest-updating

You'll have to hold me up by gun point first.
>>No. 22117
>>22116

That might not be such a bad idea...
>>No. 22148
File 127579105894.jpg - (2.93KB, 120x90, default.jpg) [iqdb]
22148
I'm not quite dead yet, just moving at the speed of slowpoke.
>>No. 22150
File 127585830432.jpg - (11.61KB, 275x300, slowpoke.jpg) [iqdb]
22150
>>22148

You're all grown'd up like what a real writefag should be. sniff sniff
>>No. 22168
Get back to work faster nigger.
>>No. 22169
File 127621636383.jpg - (847.40KB, 1000x1320, e115932f6b8eb574b6a8020324cbd39c.jpg) [iqdb]
22169
Yes master(s).
>>No. 22186
>>22169

Hooray!
>>No. 22191
File 127656933249.jpg - (176.86KB, 800x600, b26d78807d01a10b766103325212d103.jpg) [iqdb]
22191
Repostan' since the server crash at the damn update.

-----

[Q] The park sounds nice and relaxing

"Well, how's heading to the park sound?"

Maribel clasps her hands together cheerfully. "That sounds wonderful!"

---

You take a deep breath, letting the warm wind play across your face.

"I didn't know there was a place like this in the city. How'd you find it?" Renko asks, swinging her legs from atop a branch.

"My dad always took me to these kind of places when I was a kid. I developed a knack for finding them after a while, I guess. It's harder in the big cities, but they're still there, if you know what to look for."

"You talk like you've been to a lot of them," Mary perched comfortably among the highest branches, her shoes discarded on the ground.

"I suppose so. We had to move around a lot, with his work." You close your eyes to stop yourself from glancing up too often. "What was it he used to say... 'Nature's the same everywhere'. He grew up in the country himself, so I think he wanted me to have that experience."

Another breeze kicks up, carrying the smells of the town, of the city. You sigh and turn the other way, resting your head against the tree's rough bark.

"I envy you."

"Hm?" You crack one eye open, and peer up at Mary as she drops to a lower branch, touching down with her toes.

"I never got out much when I was younger." She sits down, letting her feet dangle. "I used to sneak out between lessons, and I'd hide in the trees until the gardener found me. Once, when he was on vacation, I stayed up there the whole night." She laughs wistfully. "My mother almost had a fit, I think. I couldn't slip out for weeks."

"Her parents were really weird about those things," Renko chimes in, walking down the branch with her arms out. You glance up at her involuntarily. "They were pretty against her going to a normal school, too. I think they wanted her to go to a private school in the big city."

It feels odd, hearing about it like this. There was a lot of commotion when she first transferred- a handful of short-lived fan clubs appeared, even- but you'd never actually heard about her. At least, not about her life.

"So, on that topic, why don't you have any friends?" Renko's face suddenly appears in front of yours, as she hangs by her legs from the branch, her skirt clamped tightly between her knees.

"That's entirely none of your business, isn't it? It's rude to worm through other people's phone books." You'd only bought it as a convenience, when people kept pestering you. To tell the truth, you weren't even sure how to work most of it's functions yet.

"Not that there was much to worm through..."

"If you have to know, I memorize their numbers."

Renko stares at you incredulously. "How-"

She's cut off by a her stomach growling.

"Oh! It's noon already!"

"You can tell that from your stomach?"

She bends double, pulling herself back onto the branch, and then drops to the ground.

"Of course! I pride myself on it!" You stare at her incredulously. "Anyway, the cafe should be open now. Let's go!"

---

Coffee Shop - Café Gensokyo
Sunday, 12:08 PM


The three of you stroll into the shop. You sneak a quick glance at the mural, confirming that, indeed, the figure from that morning is gone.

"Coming~!" Ran's voice sings out from the back of the shop. "Ah! It's you. It's rare for you all to come in at once, isn't it?" You notice a few flowers painted on to the corner of her apron, opposite her name, and a single tuft of hair curls up from the side of her head.

"We finally dragged him with us," Renko says, jerking a thumb to you.

Ran giggles.

"By the way, the Owner finally bought a smoothie machine! I spent the morning getting it hooked up, but it's finally working."

"Now, what can I get you this afternoon?"

69 points

Order:

[ ] Coffee(3p)(Atk+)
[ ] Smoothie(4p)
- [ ] Strawberry (def+)
- [ ] Pina Colada (magic res+)
- [ ] Banana (phys res+)
[ ] Scone (4p)
- [ ] Blueberry (Evade+)
- [ ] Chocolate (Hit+)
[ ] Cinnimon Roll(5p)(Crit+)
[ ] Brownie(5p)(Save+)

[ ] Questions? (optional)

-----

Stats, for comparative purposes:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 90/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16|H: 83|C: 7%|
|D: 6|E: 18|S: 11%|

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 60/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11|H: 88|C: 13%|
|D: 2|E: 20|S: 15%|

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 30/30 MP: 120/120
|A: 6|H: 80|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 15|S: 10%|

Magic res and Phys res are at their default values, which is to say, basically none. Resistance is a percentage damage reducer.
>>No. 22192
You:
[x] Smoothie(4p)
- [x] Strawberry (def+)
[x] Cinnimon Roll(5p)(Crit+)

Renko:
[x] Smoothie(4p)
- [x] Pina Colada (magic res+)
[x] Scone (4p)
- [x] Blueberry (Evade+)

Maribel:
[x] Smoothie(4p)
- [x] Strawberry (def+)
[x] Brownie(5p)(Save+)
>>No. 22197
I'm sticking with my pre-crash vote.

[x] Get everything and combine it into one giant, disgusting shake to share amongst the three of you that will leave you all vomiting at a later date.
>>No. 22199
[X] Get everything and combine it into one giant, disgusting shake to share amongst the three of you that will leave you all vomiting at a later date.

What could possibly go wrong?
>>No. 22204
>>22199
Everything, and we might actually get stat penalties.
>>No. 22205
>>22197
>>22199

Yeeeeaaaaah, so, I'm going to step in here and say that is not happening. I don't even want to try figuring out the logistics of it, and it's also just plain phenomenally stupid. Even Renko wouldn't suggest anything like that.
>>No. 22210
>>22205
I find it quite easy to understand. And we're not Renko.

33p for the whole bundle. The stats that each gives to the certain elements would then be divided by three. You're going to have to calculate it all eventually, right? This is just some extra simple math.

Or really, if combining everything is what makes you sick, you could think of it as a sampler. Separate, but everyone gets a taste of everything. Since hoping for full stats to each of us seems futile.

The power up that instead of focusing on just one element, puts a little into each for an even distribution.
>>No. 22212
[X] >>22210

The sampler idea sound nice. I still can't bring myself to care at all about stats in this (or any) CYOA, though.
>>No. 22213
>>22210
>>22212
This some how reminds me of how certain people in a certain story insisted on their actions despite being told otherwise by the author.
>>No. 22216
>>22213
It somehow reminds me of how certain people in a certain story decided to correct the author's assumptions that it was impossible and stupid.

Oh right. It was this one.
>>No. 22218
>>22216
The people who the author responded to didn't vote for "A tasteful sampler" but "Get everything and combine it into one giant, disgusting shake to share amongst the three of you that will leave you all vomiting at a later date." At least it's just that, at most it's more like "No all of the above choices" as to have the readers think carefully about their choices.
>>No. 22219
I... what... what is this? What, exactly, is going on here?

I can sort of see where you're going with the sampler idea- I hadn't made any plans for it, but sharing something I could work out, I guess.

But drinks?

Each person would be having a bit of coffee and three smoothies- these are not complimentary flavors. Also, you'd be drinking about 1.3333~ times as much.

Food- again, each person gets more, but mostly a cinnamon roll, a brownie, and two kinds of scone don't entirely mix well.

And, from a more mechanical aspect- when split three ways, after necessary rounding, the bonus would be pretty much nonexistent.

At the very least, separate the drinks. Those flavors most assuredly won't mix well.
>>No. 22220
I'd put a Ran facepalm image here, but I don't have one.

Seriously, you guys want everything? Most games I play only let you have one food buff at a time. Maybe two if they're different types of buffs and it's not possible to stack the same stat. I'd suggest making it a rule that only one drink buff and one food item buff can be active on a character at a time. Eating or drinking something new replaces the previous buff of that type. This type of choice should encourage planning: pick buffs that play to your strengths or cover your weaknesses.

You:
[X] Coffee(3p)(Atk+)
[X] Scone (4p)
- [X] Chocolate (Hit+)

Renko:
[X] Coffee(3p)(Atk+)
[X] Cinnimon Roll(5p)(Crit+)

Mary:
[X] Smoothie(4p)
- [X] Strawberry (def+)
[X] Scone (4p)
- [X] Blueberry (Evade+)

I don't think attacks are at a point where a resistance boost would shave off more than one point of damage.
>>No. 22221
>>22219
>these are not complimentary flavors

>roll, brownie, blueberry and chocolate scones
>coffee and banana smoothie
>the other two smoothies

Sorry, I don't get it. These do work, at least for me. All of them together? Sure, it'd be weird as a normal snack. Sampling or having a sweet tooth with no care for mixing flavors is completely different. I'd see no problem with having them all in the same meal.

I couldn't see myself blending that all up in a shake, though. Keyword: Blending. Throwing it all in a bowl like some sort of dessert paella I would definitely try, especially if I were bored enough.

It all comes out as shit in the end.
>>No. 22222
>>22221

Ideally, you'd rather it not go in as shit though.

So, here's the deal:
Up to two food/drink buffs per person, which last for the remainder of the day.
>>No. 22223
>>22220
that's the way I've always figured it anyways.
>>No. 22232
All right, you know what?

I'll give this time. We'll say they've got some kind of sampler special today or something. Everyone gets a small bonus to all possible stats.

Writing soon.
>>No. 22233
>>22232
Sorry; I meant to revote given >>22222, but I just do not care about stats, and I didn't want to just throw out something half-assed or blindly copy-paste. For the record, I voted for the sampler because it has the potential to be interesting story-wise, not because zOMG power gaming.
>>No. 22253
So hey, sorry about this, but I'm a bit busy, and I head out on a week-long trip tomorrow. Update comes when I get back, most probably.
>>No. 22303
File 127796219372.jpg - (529.88KB, 827x1169, 0ef9bd39d3658d208e4b3f83bfdb776a.jpg) [iqdb]
22303
Wow! It only took what, a week of actually writing to make an update?

Seriously, sorry about all this sluggishness. Have fluffy Rantails in apology.

-----

[Q] Sampler mix(30p)(All+1)

(39 points left)

Renko squints at the menu thoughtfully. "Hmmm..."

After several minutes, Ran speaks up. "If you like, I could get you some samples."

"Really? That'd be great." Renko flashes her a winning smile.

After several minutes, she walks around to your table, a large serving tray perched precariously on one hand. "Here you are," she says, gently placing it on your table.

The contents of the tray are divided into three distinct portions, each accompanied by a small coffee cup. The presentation is... professional, to say the least. You wouldn't have expected it from a coffee shop cashier (or whatever it is they call them) at the very least.

The taste... well, it's pretty much what you'd expected. Standard coffee shop fare, from your little experience. Their coffee is much better than you had expected, though- there's an extra flavor in it you can't quite place.

You finish up the food and drink, and slink off to the back. The mural is mostly the same as it was yesterday, when you left, but you notice some of the smaller details have changed- a broken branch, a new set of footprints, and a general lack of twigs on the ground. You go through anyway, after fitting on your equipment.

After assuring you have everything, Mary closes the door. Renko immediately glances up at the sky, squinting and shielding her eyes, while you take the chance to examine the clearing more closely.

The fresh footprints are quite small, and unmistakably from shoes. Or hoofs, but you're not quite ready to accept that.

Similarly, the branch isn't broken cleanly; the edge is ragged, more like it was simply torn, rather than bent. As an experiment, you grasp a slightly smaller branch, and pull as hard as you can. You strain against it, finally managing a few tears in the bark, and countless small scratches on your hands. Whatever did this was probably a lot stronger than you, then.

Mary tugs on the back of your shirt.

"What is it?"

"Did you notice anything change just a minute ago?" She asks, her brow creased.

"What is it?"

"Well, I'm not sure about it, but for just a moment, the area felt like it was... moving, maybe?" Shaking her head, she continues. "It feels more enclosed now."

You close your eyes, letting the rest of your senses take over. She's right, the breeze only carries the close smells, the ambient sounds are even more distant- like there's some kind of wall around you.

Stance?

[ ] Leisurely - It's nothing to worry about.
[ ] Combative - There could be enemies near.
[ ] Inquisitive - You should find out exactly what it is.
[ ] Escapist -Try to get out, right now.

-----

Yeah, well, I'll still be shooting for that "once a day" update speed.
>>No. 22304
[X] Inquisitive - You should find out exactly what it is.

>fluffy Rantails
Are you implying other kinds exist? I dou- oooohhh, they look so soft... err, what was I talking about?
>>No. 22305
[x] Inquisitive - You should find out exactly what it is.
>>No. 22307
[x] Inquisitive - You should find out exactly what it is.
>>No. 22308
[X] Inquisitive - You should find out exactly what it is.
>>No. 22309
[Q] Inquisitive - You should find out exactly what it is.

Wins. Well, that was a bit unexpected.
>>No. 22311
File 127820607118.jpg - (72.31KB, 550x550, 127602688212.jpg) [iqdb]
22311
Okay, once a day, not counting days I spend on Snatcher.

-----

[Q] Inquisitive

You focus in on the wall. It doesn't seem to be solid, certainly, but still nothing seems to be going through it. You manage to pinpoint one edge of the boundary.

"Mary, come over here." You reach over and pull her along by the sleeve.

"What is it?"

"Look right here-" you point to where you guess the border is. "Can you see something?"

She stares at it blankly for a moment, then suddenly recoils. You grab her shoulders to stop her from tripping, bring her back to her feet. After a moment, she reaches out her hand, fingers extended, toward the point. About an inch away from where you'd guess it is, she suddenly stops, turns her arm about 45 degrees, and extends it fully.

"What is it?" you ask.

"It's certainly a barrier. Some kind misdirection, or turning. It stops you from looking at it or touching it directly." She shakes her head and blinks. "I don't think we're supposed to know it exists yet, either. It doesn't give off much magic, so most people wouldn't find it at all."

"Do you think it's hostile?"

"Clearly the barrier itself isn't."

"You know what I mean."

"It's hard to tell from this alone," she continues, bemused. "The barrier is just supposed to keep us here. It could be something natural, for all I know."

You ponder it for a moment. "Do you think it has something to do with the door we came here through?"

"It's... possible." Mary looks troubled.

The two of you glance at Renko, who's still busily stretching. Quickly, you move to where the door was. Mary gasps, covering her mouth.

"What is it?"

"The barrier's here, too. I can't open it right now."

"Dammit."

You feel a hand on your shoulder.

"What are you two doing over here?" Renko asks, before you can react. Mary is kind enough to answer her.

"Someone put up a barrier around the area."

"Really? Can you break it?"

"I don't think so. Maybe if I could touch it, but even then it's probably too strong."

"Wait," you cut in, "you can break barriers? You've done this before?"

"Oh, yes," Mary waves dismissively. "It's what the Sealing Club does."

"You break magical barriers randomly?"

"Well, yes, mostly."

"That seems like the opposite of sealing. And also an incredibly bad idea."

Renko claps you on the back. "Oh, come on. Don't you think we could use a little more magic in the world?"

I'm pretty sure that is both wholly unrelated and very misleading.

"Anyway, Mary, do you think there's any way to get through this one? Any kind of hole or weak spot or something?" You turn back to her, and the question at hand.

"I'm not sure yet. Usually I could find them just by looking, but I can't see this one directly to begin with. Even finding the edges could be hard."

Renko rests her hand on her chin, and speaks up. "Well, maybe we could try-"

"So... it was you three, then?"

You turn in unison to look at the new voice. It takes you a moment to comprehend what you see.

The shrine maiden from yesterday- Reimu, you think- is floating, suspended in the air, with several paper charms clutched in her hand. Sadly, she's wearing pants this time.

"And I was hoping she was finally back..." She sighs, and touches down on the ground. "When will she show up already? It's getting more troublesome by the day." She turns back to you. "Well, I guess I'll need to deal with you three, anyway."

-----

Battle starts tomorrow morning. I'm too tired to start statting Reimu right now.
>>No. 22312
>Battle starts tomorrow morning.

Hooray!
>>No. 22313
Okay, I couldn't sleep. Here's the stuff:

:: Battle, Start! ::

Enemies:

Hakurei Reimu - Level 4 Lazy Miko - HP: 100/100 MP: 200/200

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 90/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16+1|H: 83+1|C: 7+1%|
|D: 6+2|E: 18+1|S: 11+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 60/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11+1|H: 88+1|C: 13+1%|
|D: 2+2|E: 20+1|S: 15+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 30/30 MP: 120/120
|A: 6+1|H: 80+1|C: 2+1%|
|D: 3+2|E: 15+1|S: 10+1%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x10, Mana (MP +30) x8, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ]item [ ] Flee

-----
>>No. 22314
Just attack and hope for the best, this is a hopeless boss fight anyway.

When Reimu's getting low on health, she'll just pull Fantasy Heaven out of her ass, which is why her Mana is so high for a Lvl 4.
>>No. 22318
>>22314

Actually, make that defend and hope for the best.
>>No. 22319
3, right?

[x] You - Attack x3
[x] Renko - Stealth, Attack x2
[x] Maribel - Barrier, Herself, Renko, You if there needs to be an order.

Gotta get ready to live through Fantasy Heaven.
>>No. 22320
[x] You - Attack x3
[x] Renko - Stealth, Attack x2
[x] Maribel - Barrier, Herself, Renko, You if there needs to be an order.

It's a bit too soon to assume it's unbeatable. But we might as well play seriously.
>>No. 22321
It's possible to win, but don't expect to.
>>No. 22326
[x] Maribel - Sing a song in a foreign language.
[x] Renko - Do a crazy dance.
[x] You - While the Miko is distracted, yank her pants down and start tickling her.
>>No. 22329
>>22326

I lol'd
>>No. 22361
So, I'm really, really terrible about updating. I blame having too much free time.

Unfortunately, I'm heading out of town again tonight, for another week. See you all when I get back, hopefully by updating.
>>No. 22362
MC: Stealth - Attack x2
Renko: Stealth - Evade - Attack
Maribel: Barrier(Self) - Flare - Bind

Two with evd+, the weaker with evd++ and one with barrier. Hoping for good luck on that bind thing too.
>>No. 22363
Late hooray!
>>No. 22384
I'm back, and updating on the first day! Hell yes!

Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5YC9iMK0p0

-----

[x] You - Attack x3
[x] Renko - Stealth, Attack x2
[x] Maribel - Barrier, Herself, Renko, You if there needs to be an order.

She immediately draws needle the length of your forearm from one of her sleeves, taking aim. You draw up your sword, kicking off toward her in a lunge. When the blade is a hair's breadth from her face, she shifts to the side, letting the edge brush harmlessly over her cheek. At the same time, the hand holding the needle flashes out like a snake, sticking you in the arm.

"Brute force won't work on me. With such sloppy strikes, you might as well be using a rolled newspaper!" She smirks confidently.

Good, the wound's not very deep. Mary has already created a bubble around herself, and Renko has vanished. You adjust your footing, and change to another stance.

"We'll have to see about that."

Putting up a grin, you lunge at her again. Just before the hit would land, you switch to one hand, dipping the blade sharply at her legs, then arcing up at her torso. Her eyes widen, just for an instant, but she suddenly springs into the air, using your sword as a step to push herself even higher.

- Which would have been a genius strategy, if she had not been directly under the tree Renko had chosen as a hiding spot, knife clutched in her teeth.

Renko plunges down, catching her knife offhand and slashing across Reimu's back. Reimu recovers before she lands, hurling several paper charms after her at incredible speed. A warped bubble wraps around Renko's body as she lands, shredding the papers that connect with it into a fine mist.

You launch yourself into the air, twisting your body to bring your sword down onto Reimu's shoulders before she can dodge again, forcing her down to the ground, where she is hit by Renko's waiting dagger. As you descend, a warm, hazy feeling envelopes you.

"Even a rolled up newspaper can squash a bug!" Renko shouts, leaping back. Reimu doesn't respond at first, gritting her teeth. Without warning, a ring of symbols forms under her, and she rises into the air, turning upright.

"Dream sign[Duplex Barrier]!"

Suddenly, the air changes.

Results:

* You took 3 damage.
* Mary spent 24 MP
* Reimu took 40 damage.
* Reimu spent 20 MP

Enemies:

Hakurei Reimu - Level 4 Lazy Miko - HP: 60/100 MP: 180/200

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 87/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16+1|H: 83+1|C: 7+1%|
|D: 6+2|E: 18+1|S: 11+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 60/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11+1|H: 88+1|C: 13+1%|
|D: 2+2|E: 20+1|S: 15+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 30/30 MP: 96/120
|A: 6+1|H: 80+1|C: 2+1%|
|D: 3+2|E: 15+1|S: 10+1%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x10, Mana (MP +30) x8, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ]item [ ] Flee

-----

So, surprising damage with that first round. Things will start heating up now.
>>No. 22387
[x] You - Attack x3
[x] Renko - Attack x3
[x] Maribel - Flare x2, Small bomb x1

Hopefully everyone can hit Reimu as she is going up. Maybe defending would be better, but the faster we burn her down the better.
>>No. 22388
You [x] Stealth, than Attack x2
Renko [x] Agility, than Attack x2
Maribel [x] Bind x3
Reimu is doing something we have never seen before, lets use our broken cheatiness to stunlock the crap out of her while our tank tries to take her down.
On another note, while I realize this is all part of the RPG aspect of the game, our heroes are actually willing to attempt to murder another human being? I mean, with the fairies you at least have the excuse of them being a different species.
Sage cause I'm not taking it as easy as I should be.
>>No. 22390
>>22388
I think they're just aiming to knock her out or just debilitate her. 0 HP doesn't necessarily mean deadsies.
>>No. 22395
>>22388

Well, see, this is where my original premise kinda unraveled a bit. So in keeping with the lighthearted theme, lets say this all pretty much works like Danmaku, except with physical blows instead of magic bullets.
>>No. 22398
You [x] Stealth, than Attack x2
Renko [x] Agility, than Attack x2
Maribel [x] Flare x2, Small Bombx1

I don't think status ailments would work on her.
>>No. 22399
>>22387 to >>22398

Should probably keep buffing. But yeah, boss time so probably no stunning.
>>No. 22400
You [x] Stealth, than Attack x2
Renko [x] Agility, than Attack x2
Maribel [x] Flare x2, Small Bombx1

Seems to be the way to go. Writing soon.
>>No. 22421
>>22400
Waiting warmly!
>>No. 22422
>>22421

Right right, on it now.
>>No. 22424
So, I'm starting to see the flaws in my system. I'll see what I can do for them.

-----

You [x] Stealth, than Attack x2
Renko [x] Agility, than Attack x2
Maribel [x] Flare x2, Small Bombx1

As Reimu rises up, Mary summons a sphere of flame and hurls it at her. At the last moment, it suddenly splits in two, swerving around her and fizzling out in the air. You take the chance to slip back into the brush near the barrier's edge. Reimu's eyes open, and she raises the stick over her head.

Renko is the unfortunate target, as a sudden wave of bullets forms on either side of her. Despite her best efforts to evade, the space itself seems to wrap around her, pushing her into them. You spring out from your hiding spot as silently as you can, thrusting out your sword point in a dead rush. Like with the fireball before, however, the blade turns aside before it even scratches her, seeming to bend at first. Another flash of flame shoots by, this time coming close enough to singe her hairs before it twists away into nothingness.

"You, too."

Sweeping around, Reimu waves her stick, sweeping her barriers around you instead. Renko immediately leaps up, knife swinging, only to be turned away like the other attacks. A swarm of bullets surrounds you, forming solid walls that seems to twist around on themselves, filling every gap, and crushing you under the wave of force.

You feel time pass, and the sensation fades, leaving the four of you standing, raggedly. You pull yourself up, forcing feeling back into your limbs, and grip your sword. Reimu raises her hand, as if to attack you, only for Renko to appear behind her, dealing a sweeping blow to her torso. You vanish back into the undergrowth while she's distracted, sprinting silently up the back of a nearby tree.

"Dammit, where did you go?!" Reimu cries, as Renko nimbly retreats.

Lighting a small bomb, Mary hurls it toward Reimu's back, where it is sadly intercepted by paper charm, which enfolds it, swallowing up the ensuing explosion. This gives you the moment you need to leap down, putting all of your weight into a descending strike from your wooden blade. Reimu barely twists out of the way, taking the brunt of it to her shoulder, but remaining upright.

At that moment, she turns, quickly hurling two more amulets, which immediately take flight, crashing into Mary in a sudden blast that throws her off her feet.

---

Results:

* You took 25 damage.
* Renko took 14 damage.
* Maribel took 15 damage.
* Reimu took 18 damage.
* Maribel used 20 MP.

---

Enemies:

Hakurei Reimu - Level 4 Lazy Miko - HP: 42/100 MP: 180/200

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 62/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16+1|H: 83+1|C: 7+1%|
|D: 6+2|E: 18+1|S: 11+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 46/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11+1|H: 88+1|C: 13+1%|
|D: 2+2|E: 20+1|S: 15+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 15/30 MP: 76/120
|A: 6+1|H: 80+1|C: 2+1%|
|D: 3+2|E: 15+1|S: 10+1%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x10, Mana (MP +30) x8, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x4

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ]item [ ] Flee

-----
>>No. 22433
File 127971308070.jpg - (129.37KB, 1024x570, let them taste hellfire.jpg) [iqdb]
22433
You: Protect(Mary), 2x Small Bomb
Mary: 3x Flare
Renko: 3x Attack
>>No. 22435
You: Protect(Mary), Attack, Stealth
Mary: Barrier (Herself), Barrier (Renko), Heal (Herself
Renko: Attackx2, Stealth
Boss' always get harder when they are closer to dead, so lets buff up this turn, and use the next to go all out on her. Maribel is currently pretty low on HP, but with the added Barrier/Protect combo, she should be absolutely fine for the two turns until she heals herself.
>>No. 22436
>>22432

Oh, right, sorry. All of your buffs just wore off. I really should remember to mark those.
>>No. 22438
You: Protect(Mary), Attack, Stealth
Mary: Barrier (Herself), Barrier (Renko), Heal (Herself
Renko: Attackx2, Stealth
>>No. 22439
[X] You - Protect(Mary), Attack x2
[X] Renko - Agility, Attack x2
[X] Mary - Potion(self), Barrier(self), Heal(You)

Gotta balance buffing with the fact that they don't last long and Mary will run out of MP soon. Better conserve a bit and see if Reimu declares another card.
>>No. 22440
>>22439

>Mana (MP +30) x8
>>No. 22442
>>22440
OK, let me put my thoughts down better. Mary has four roles: Buffer, Healer, Mezzer and Nuker. She can't do all of them at once, and the MC and Renko can't take over buffing or CC, and rely on pots for healing, which takes away from their no MP cost attacks. If you have her focus on just one role, she may be wasting MP and not doing something more vital to the party. When she goes into Mana Potion Dependancy Mode, party effectiveness goes down since someone has to use an action every few turns to keep her going. Can you really blame me for wanting to stretch the time to OOM out a bit?
>>No. 22445
>>22439
Personally seeing how this isn't exactly a normal battle (losing is okay), I'd rather try to keep item use down to minimum. And I get the feeling she wouldn't drop much points if any (Poor Miko is Poor)
>>No. 22446
You: Protect(Mary), Attack, Stealth
Mary: Barrier (Herself), Barrier (Renko), Heal (Herself)
Renko: Stealth, Attackx2
>>No. 22450
[X] You - Protect(Mary), Attack x2
[X] Renko - Agility, Attack x2
[X] Mary - Heal (self), Barrier(self), Heal(You)
Agility wastes a turn but gives one free so there's no reason not to use it all the time.
>>No. 22468
You: Protect(Mary), Attack, Small bomb
Mary: Barrier(Herself), Bind, Flare
Renko: Potion(Mary), Attack, Small bomb

Why, yes, I do love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

On a sidenote, are small bombs affected by the bonuses granted by stealth or do items do fixed damage no matter what?
>>No. 22469
>>22468

Bombs have no critical chance to begin with.
>>No. 22524
Soooo...

It has come to my attention that there are some flaws in the system I designed. As much as it pains me to admit it, I kinda suck with making these on the fly and balancing them (a la Agility). It's also a bit hard on me, just by being kind of... complicated.

So! I've been at work on a new system. The stats remain basically the same, and characters will still have most of the same moves, but the input method will work a little differently, and most of the numbers will be rebalanced.

Here's the important part: I can continue this battle in the current system, and change over to the new one for all future battles, or I can change the system over right now.

It's up to you guys, really.
>>No. 22525
>>22524
Which ever one lets us kick Reimu's ass better without her kick our ass.
>>No. 22528
>>22524
Eh do the switch over after this battle.
>>No. 22529
>>22524
After. And Blame Yukari Maribel
>>No. 22570
Update.
>>No. 22574
>>22570
>>/th/120628
>>No. 22629
So...when will this update?
>>No. 22646
Someday. When I'm not horribly, horribly busy. And stressed and stuff. So yeah, soon enough.
>>No. 22652
All right you lot. I'm working on an update. Seeing as there wasn't a lot of consensus in the votes, I just picked some parts that seemed both intelligent and generally agreed upon. Maybe posting later today? We'll see.
>>No. 22653
Easier than I thought!

-----

[x] You: Protect(Mary), Attack, Stealth
[x] Renko - Agility, Attack x2
[x] Mary - Heal (self), Barrier(self), Heal(You)

Acting quickly, you dive, placing yourself between her and Reimu.

"Dream Sign [Evil Sealing Circle]!"

Faint, barely-real sigils form rings around you and Renko.

"Damn!"

"Renko! Now, attack!"

The two of you dash at Reimu, weapons weapons raised. Reimu lifts her hands, pointing at each of you.

Light and pressure overwhelm your senses mere feet away, dropping you instantly to the ground. Renko manages so slash at her arm, barely seconds before the same fate befalls her as well.

The circles fade.

Undaunted, Renko dives at her again, this time repelled by a handfull of well-placed seals that send her back to the ground.

Mary hurries over to you, dragging you out of the way. As she mutters a few words, warm lights cover your body, and your strength returns.

---

Results:

* You took 9 damage!
* Renko took 31 damage!
* Mary recovered 14 health!
* Mary spent 28 MP!
* Reimu took 10 damage!
* Reimu spent 30 MP!

---

Enemies:

Hakurei Reimu - Level 4 Lazy Miko - HP: 42/100 MP: 180/200
|Atk: 25|Hit: 90|Crit: 10%|
|Def: 8|Evd: 22|Save: 99%|

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 53/90 MP: 30/30 [Stealth: E+10, C+10, 1/2]
|A: 16+1|H: 83+1|C: 7+1%|
|D: 6+2|E: 18+1|S: 11+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 15/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11+1|H: 88+1|C: 13+1%|
|D: 2+2|E: 20+1|S: 15+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 28/30 MP: 48/120 [Barrier: D+10, 2/4]
|A: 6+1|H: 80+1|C: 2+1%|
|D: 3+2|E: 15+1|S: 10+1%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x10, Mana (MP +30) x8, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x4

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

Don't sweat too much, again.
>>No. 22654
> Reimu spent 30 MP!
> MP: 180/200
>>No. 22655
Damn. Knew I missed something.
>>No. 22661
You: Attack, Stealth, Attack
Mary: Heal (Renko) Barrier (Renko) Barrier (Self)
Renko: Potion (Self), Bomb, Agility
Reimu is below half hp, she should be entering desperation mode pretty soon, and will be unleashing the hurt on us. So we should play it safe, and heal/barrier for the next round, so we can survive her next round.
>>No. 22670
[X] You - Attack, Attack, Stealth
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack, Attack
[X] Mary - Heal(Renko), Heal(Renko), Barrier(self)
>>No. 22687
Calling it for
[X] You - Attack, Attack, Stealth
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack, Attack
[X] Mary - Heal(Renko), Heal(Renko), Barrier(self)

For the sake of it. Here we go.
>>No. 22688
Another one.

-----

[X] You - Attack, Attack, Stealth
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attack, Attack
[X] Mary - Heal(Renko), Heal(Renko), Barrier(self)

Struggling to your feet, you force through the haze in your mind and thrust as hard as you can with your blade, scratching Reimu's raised arm. Mary's hand glows, healing Renko's injuries, and giving her just enough strength to dodge the next blast and disappear.

You reprise your attack, leaving an actual mark this time, but it's still not deep enough. Mary mutters another spell, and this time Reimu notices the blue lights. She hurls several talismans toward her, that crack and explode against her shield, pushing her back.

Renko, meanwhile, has recovered enough to execute a diving attack from above, putting her whole weight behind the blade. Reimu doesn't turn, instead raising a single, metal seal over her head, which stops the blow effortlessly.

You leap away as Mary re-forms her shield, hands moving quickly. Renko flips back and lunges again, shredding one of Reimu's sleeves, but leaving barely a scratch on her.

Glaring, Reimu raises her stick again, distorting the area around her.

"Let's end this already. [Fantasy Heaven]!"

---

Results:
* Renko recovered 31 HP!
* Mary took 8 damage!
* Mary spent 28 MP!
* Reimu took 7 damage!
* Reimu spent 100 MP!

---

Enemies:

Hakurei Reimu - Level 4 Lazy Miko - HP: 35/100 MP: 50/200 [Fantasy Heaven: E+∞, A+10, H+10, 3/4]

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 53/90 MP: 30/30 [Stealth: E+10, C+10, 1/2]
|A: 16+1|H: 83+1|C: 7+1%|
|D: 6+2|E: 18+1|S: 11+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 46/60 MP: 15/15 [Stealth: E+10, C+10, 1/3]
|A: 11+1|H: 88+1|C: 13+1%|
|D: 2+2|E: 20+1|S: 15+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 20/30 MP: 20/120 [Barrier: D+10, 3/4]
|A: 6+1|H: 80+1|C: 2+1%|
|D: 3+2|E: 15+1|S: 10+1%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x10, Mana (MP +30) x8, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x4

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

The end is nigh.
>>No. 22691
You: Mana Potion (Mary), Protect (Mary), Defend
Renko: Agility, Stealth, Defend
Mary: Barrier (You) Barrier (Renko) Barrier (Self)
E+Infinity. Fantastic. Well, time to defend like our life depends on it, as there is nothing else we can do.
>>No. 22692
Stealth will last one more turn, so no reason to use it.

MC:
[x] Item: Potion (Self)
[x] Protect (Maribel)
[x] Defend

Usami:
[x] Skill: Agility
[x] Item: Potion (Maribel) -Only if potions can be given to other characters. If untrue, change target to (Self)
[x] Defend
Maribel:
[x] Spell: Barrier (MC)
[x] Spell: Barrier (Usami)
[x] Defend
>>No. 22698
[x]>>22692
Sure. why not
>>No. 22700
Called for:
[x] >>22692

Writing sometime soon, most likely.
>>No. 22705
Here you go.

-----

MC: [x] Item: Potion (Self), Protect (Maribel), Defend
Renko: [x] Skill: Agility, Item: Potion (Maribel), Defend
Maribel: [x] Spell: Barrier (MC), Spell: Barrier (Renko), Defend

Mary quickly throws a barrier around you as you pull out a potion, and down it immediately. Before any of you can properly react, a wave of bullets crashes against you, and blows Mary off her feet.

You quickly throw yourself between her and Reimu, as Renko kneels next to her, giving her another potion. Shaking off the haze, Mary weaves another shield, this one around Renko.

With a sudden, mind-bending twist, two more waves of light crash through the three of you, converging on Mary.

You and Renko both turn in unison.

"Mary!"

In the nick of time, you manage to raise your guard, deflecting a small stream, though Renko isn't so lucky, being carried several feet into the air by the blast. Coughing, she manages to get up on her knees.

Results:

* You took 12 damage.
* Renko took 45 damage.
* Mary died.

---

Enemies:

Hakurei Reimu - Level 4 Lazy Miko - HP: 35/100 MP: 50/200

Party:

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 41/90 MP: 30/30 [Barrier: D+10, 1/4]
|A: 16+1|H: 83+1|C: 7+1%|
|D: 6+2|E: 18+1|S: 11+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 1/60 MP: 15/15 [Barrier: D+10, 2/4]
|A: 11+1|H: 88+1|C: 13+1%|
|D: 2+2|E: 20+1|S: 15+1%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 0/30 MP: 20/120 [DEAD]
|A: 6+1|H: 80+1|C: 2+1%|
|D: 3+2|E: 15+1|S: 10+1%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x8, Mana (MP +30) x8, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x4

-----

Medal earned: "I survived Fantasy Heaven!"

Story post coming soon.
>>No. 22706
Also, just a bit of warning: I realized at about the time my mood went from "okay!" to "please kill me" after I worked on writing this, that I frankly hate the fuck out of writing this.

jRPG combat is not meant to be done like this. It should be left to the computers.

Also I had absolutely no plot to this whole thing.

And did I mention I came to hate writing it?

Yeah. Next couple posts will be me finding a way to cap this off in a maybe almost reasonable way. If you have a suggestion, you're welcome to voice it.
>>No. 22707
>>22705
Having Yukari call off the little gaming session and the group realizing it's a bit too risky to keep going.
>>No. 22709
File 128365430192.png - (795.13KB, 857x1200, 3fa58fbf1908263bb11ba19310387032.png) [iqdb]
22709
-----

"Hm. You're pretty hardy, aren't you." Her expression blank, Reimu holds her palm above her head. With a twitch of her wrist, she calls up an enormous yin-yan orb.

A wide, black shape forms in the air, and descend quickly. Just as Reimu hurls the orb, the shape lands between you, catching it with her bare hand.

"Hurry!"

The fox-tailed woman, as the shape turns out to be, makes a sign with her hand, tearing open a hole beside her.

"You! Grab the girls, and go through!"

Recovering from the shock, you scoop up Mary under your arm, and grab Renko's hand. Teetering on the edge of the hole, you take a deep breath, ignoring the eyes staring through it, and jump.

---

Black.

Red eyes.

A blonde woman in jeans, a tie-die tank top, and beret.

You blink a few times, but indeed, she's sitting on a beanbag chair, clashing completely with her surroundings.

"Ah, you're awake."

"Yes... where am I?"

"My world. Inside 'me,' if you will~" She giggles.

You shudder, glancing around. There's eyes every way you look, but they don't have any depth to them.

"What happened to Mary and Renko? Are they okay?"

"My shikigami are taking care of them now. They should be fine by the time you all return home."

You pause in thought. "Where... where was that place?"

She smiles at you, her eyes narrowing softly. "A dream. An illusion. A bygone fantasy."

Leaning suddenly closer, she puts a hand on your cheek.

"You shouldn't concern yourself with such a leftover world," She whispers.

[ ] Any final questions?

-----
>>No. 22710
[x] What will happen to that portal?
[x] Who are you? A familiar of Maribel?
[x] Will we see that place again?
>>No. 22711
[x] Why did you have such an opening?
[x] Why do you look like Maribel?
[x] Will that coffee shop still be open? That had some nice food.
[x] Will this be the last time we meet?

The whole RPG thing is a bit suited for quicker updates if anything. Though automation would be a nice thing.
>>No. 22714
>>22706
Does this mean we are getting the Gensokyo Mecha CYOA?
>>No. 22715
>>22714

Maybe, but possibly not right away. I'd like to have to first "episode's" plot down pat, first. Also, putting up to a vote, etc.

So! Onward with:
[x] What will happen to that portal?
[x] Will we see that place again?
[x] Why do you look like Maribel?
[x] Will that coffee shop still be open? It had some nice food.
[x] Will this be the last time we meet?

I'll write up the closing part in just a bit.
>>No. 22717
File 128369300496.png - (783.38KB, 714x1000, 1bd967b6a525e173fda403713569ac6d.png) [iqdb]
22717
-----

[x] What will happen to that portal?
[x] Will we see that place again?
[x] Why do you look like Maribel?
[x] Will that coffee shop still be open? It had some nice food.
[x] Will this be the last time we meet?

"You... you're the owner, aren't you? Of the coffeeshop?"

"Oh, how perceptive! Yes, I am. Yukari Yakumo, lady a of many worlds." She bows as much as possible while still seated.

"Will it stay open?"

"For a while, at least. You three were our only regular customers, unfortunately," she sighs, giving a shrug.

"What about the portal, then? The one in the women's bathroom?"

"Ah, those." She nods knowingly. "It's a simple enough job for me to remove them. By the way, you are aware that any of the doors in the back would have worked?"

"Son of a bitch." You mumble to yourself, while Yukari laughs.

You look up at her, and make eye contact. "Why do you look like Mary?"

The woman smiles widely at you, tilting her head. "I'm not sure which of us you're trying to complement but thank you anyway."

"That, wasn't what I-"

"Let a woman have some fun!" She calls, waving dismissively. "It's only a chance resemblance, or maybe a distant relation, anyway."

It goes quiet.

"Will... we be able to get back there again?"

"If you concern yourself too much in fantasy, you'll miss the real world in front of you." Yukari lets out a theatrical sigh. "I hadn't wanted to, but it seems it's going to be necessary," she says, producing a folding fan from seemingly nowhere. "It's not a real memory erasure, of course. Just think of it as, blurring them a little."

"One last question, then."

She pauses, looking at you expectantly.

"Will I ever see you again?"

Leaning up to you, Yukari smirks. Snapping the fan shut, she lifts it-

"If you're lucky~"

-and raps you lightly on the forehead.

---

FIN
>>No. 22718
So will we be able to see your Overlord CYOA idea soon?
>>No. 22719
>>22718

...Overlord CYOA? Are you sure you're not confusing me with a different writer?
>>No. 22720
Thank for you bringing some closure to this CYOA at least. That's much better than the usual procedure around here.
>>No. 22721
>>22720

An asspull ending is better than no ending at all.

Also, I really wanted to give the image of Yukari dressed like that.

Something that might be of interest: >>/gensokyo/5654
[Return][Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x