- [WT] [Home] [Manage]
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 29689)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 4355 unique user posts. View catalog

File 147529600337.jpg - (98.36KB, 600x710, it's dnd.jpg) [iqdb]
29689 No. 29689
Now with a 'with' instead of an 'and'!

----------

Okay. I think I'm ready.

I think.

I've read the books. I've written sheets. I've drawn a map. I've brought the dice. I've set up the screen. I'm ready.

Now I just need my players. Which I don't have right now.

The problem is that, as much as I hate to admit, I don't actually have that many friends. I spend a lot of my time going around, trying to gather worshipers for my shrine, and most people have come to see me as that priestess from the mountain shrine. So not many people have ever really tried to get to know me.

Fortunately, I'm not completely without friends. And one of my (very few) friends happens to have many friends herself! So all I had to do was ask her to bring some of them over for this. This'll be great; I'll get to meet people, I can unwind and do something I really love, and we'll all play a game together!

The game in question is Dungeons and Dragons, but I'm sure they can see the appeal in it.

My thoughts are suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door. They're finally here! I hop up and quickly rush over to the door and open it. I find the shrine maiden I was expecting on the other side of it.

"Reimu! You made it!"

"Yeah yeah, I'm here." She's a little grumpy, which I can understand. I kinda strong-armed her into this. "We're here, that is."

"Oh, good. You brought them. Please, come on in, everyone!"

I step aside and allow Reimu's entourage to enter the room. I look them over and find...

VOTE FOR FOUR:

[] Marisa Kirisame, of course. I'd be more surprised if she wasn't here.
[] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[] Alice Margatroid. A friend of Marisa's, I believe.
[] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[] ...Momiji Inubashiri? Captain of the Wolf Tengu patrols? What's she doing here?
[] There's a black and red cat, with two tails, trailing around Reimu's legs.
[] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[] Kasen Ibara. Not too surprising, all things considered.
[] Hata no Kokoro? I thought she just performed at Reimu's shrine. Are they actually friends?
[] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
[] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE

(May the gods have mercy on all of our souls)
Expand all images
>> No. 29690
[1] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
[2] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[3] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[4] ...Momiji Inubashiri? Captain of the Wolf Tengu patrols? What's she doing here?
>> No. 29691
[x] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
>> No. 29692
[X] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[X] ...Momiji Inubashiri? Captain of the Wolf Tengu patrols? What's she doing here?
[X] Kasen Ibara. Not too surprising, all things considered.
[X] Hata no Kokoro? I thought she just performed at Reimu's shrine. Are they actually friends?
Maximum chill.
>> No. 29693
[x] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.

A level-headed immortal, an occult freak in Fantasy Land, a Tom Thumb/Don Quixote love-child, and a terrifyingly charming flower woman. What's not to love?
>> No. 29694
[X] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[X] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
[X] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[X] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE

Oh good it's happening now
>> No. 29695
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl?
[X] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[X] Alice Margatroid. A friend of Marisa's, I believe.
[X] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder
>> No. 29696
[x] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE

Bet you Clownpiece tries to build some sort of dual crossbow-wielding ranger with a horse companion.
>> No. 29697
[x] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Hata no Kokoro? I thought she just performed at Reimu's shrine. Are they actually friends?
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
>> No. 29698
[x] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Hata no Kokoro? I thought she just performed at Reimu's shrine. Are they actually friends?
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE

Yaaaaay it's happening
>> No. 29699
File 147529924611.jpg - (373.80KB, 850x1200, __clownpiece_touhou_drawn_by_rihito_usazukin__samp.jpg) [iqdb]
29699
[x] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
Oh nice
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
DRUID
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
SANAE, THEY STOLE YOUR ROLE
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
'MURICA FUCK YEAH
>> No. 29700
[x] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
>> No. 29701
[X] Marisa Kirisame, of course. I'd be more surprised if she wasn't here.
[X] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[X] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[X] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
>> No. 29702
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
(FREEDOM intensifies)
[] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
Has Sukuna even appeared in a story yet?
[x] Alice Margatroid. A friend of Marisa's, I believe.
[x] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
Reimu decided to drag out the more reclusive people she know to suffer with her.
>> No. 29703
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
(FREEDOM intensifies)
[] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
Has Sukuna even appeared in a story yet?
[x] Alice Margatroid. A friend of Marisa's, I believe.
[x] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
Reimu decided to drag out the more reclusive people she know to suffer with her.
>> No. 29704
[x] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
>> No. 29705
[x] Marisa Kirisame, of course. I'd be more surprised if she wasn't here.
[x] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[x] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.

BULLY THE KOGASA
>> No. 29706
[x] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[x] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
>> No. 29707
[X] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[X] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[X] Hata no Kokoro? I thought she just performed at Reimu's shrine. Are they actually friends?
[X] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
>> No. 29708
[x] Remilia Scarlet? And her maid too? Why are they here?
[] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[X] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
[X] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
>> No. 29709
[] Marisa Kirisame, of course. I'd be more surprised if she wasn't here.
[] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
>> No. 29710
[X] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[X] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
[X] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[X] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?


Kogasa because she number 1.
Inchling because I don't see her enough.
Murasa (I think) because I don't see her enough either.
Would have done Yuuka because she's funny read sadistic, but I just figured out who silver hair woman is. Mokou gonna be funnnn.

Sorry Momiji, but you've had way too much screen-time lately all over the place. Even if you are best woof.
>> No. 29711
[x] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[x] Is that a high school uniform. Is that a high school girl.
[x] Why. WHY. WHY IS THE AMERICA FAIRY HERE
[x] ...There's a tiny girl, maybe a foot tall, sitting on Reimu's shoulder.
>> No. 29712
>>29703
Sukuna appeared in, I believe, Tengu of Misfortune. She had a fairly large supporting role for a while.
>> No. 29713
[] Hata no Kokoro? I thought she just performed at Reimu's shrine. Are they actually friends?
[] Marisa Kirisame, of course. I'd be more surprised if she wasn't here.
[] Alice Margatroid. A friend of Marisa's, I believe.

I don't think we need a fourth, there were only three in the original story right?
>> No. 29714
Ooookay. Gimme a minute to tally this up, because I believe I have 21 votes here.
>> No. 29716
Okay, I've tallied the votes, and here are the results:

With 13 votes, Clownpiece wins big, to the surprise of literally no one. Just remember: you brought this on yourselves.
With 12 votes, Sumireko will hopefully make things easier with her Outsider knowledge. Hopefully.
Mokou makes it in with 11 votes, to my personal surprise. Let's see how this plays out.
After a weak start, Kogasa suddenly surges up to 10 votes, just edging Yuuka out of the party. Much to Sanae's relief, no doubt.

And ladies not appearing in this story are:
Yuuka with 9 votes. I was getting excited for bullying, but then new youkai moe happened. Oh well!
Sukuna with 7 votes. Looks like nobody will require physical assistance here today.
Remilia and Sakuya with 6 votes. Probably for the best.
Kokoro with 5 votes. Honestly after her performance in the contest entry, I'm surprised anyone wants her back.
Marisa with 4 votes. Bit of a shock, this one. For Sanae, at least.
Alice with 3 votes. Aw, no smug Alice to take down several pegs.
Momiji with 2 votes. No fluffy tail, though I can't help but agree with >>29710
Kasen with 1 vote. The oni mountain hermit does not get to experience the joys of Dungeons and Dragons.
Someone gave a vote to no fifth player, which genuinely surprised me. You liked the contest entry that much?
Orin finishes with a whole 0 votes, giving her the dubious distinction of getting less votes than nobody. A cat is not fine, apparently.

Now to figure out how this all plays out...
>> No. 29717
>>29716

Quick! Everyone who voted for one of the low vote 2hus change it to Sukuna!
>> No. 29718
>>29717
Writefag already called votes, there's no use doing that.

Also, that is not how you convince people to vote for something, it doesn't work that way. In fact it only makes me want to not vote for her if the votes weren't already closed, just because you said it.
>> No. 29720
File 14753567332.jpg - (192.95KB, 850x600, proper bullymaster techniques.jpg) [iqdb]
29720
>Kogasa wins
>Remi or Yuuka don't win
You people don't get bullying.
>> No. 29721
>Clownpiece
Please, for the love of Minoriko, writer dude, don't end up just playing her as the "whaaaaacky meme character ecks dee".
>> No. 29722
>>29720
While it would have been nice to have an master at bullying around, anyone who's anyone can bully Kogasa. Such is the way things are.
>> No. 29723
Oh shit, forgot to sage. Sorry about that, everyone.
>> No. 29724
>>29710
Ooohh, that was Sumireko.
Well, I feel like a fool. Still, should be fun.
>> No. 29725
Whoa wait what that was over fast. Poor Orin, I'd have voted for you!
>> No. 29726
Really interested to see where this goes. the Ponies Play Pen and Paper thread over on 4chan's MLP board generated some of the best DnD fanfiction I've read, so I'm super excited to see this thread and concept is getting a lot of interest from the community.
>> No. 29727
>>29721
Yet nothing about "bullying Kogasa" being overdone? I see both as being pretty bad. They might hit "Sakuya's pads" level of overused.
>> No. 29728
>>29727
That's pretty bad too. Just not as obnoxiously bad as random monkey cheese Clownpiece has the potential to be.
>> No. 29729
>>29727
We should have a Kogasa that can fend for herself. I'd pay to watch that. Maybe she'll even be the paladin of the game.
>> No. 29730
>>29729

"The Paladin of the game" is a pretty hefty mantle in terms of DnD memes. That would have to be one hell of a Kogasa.
>> No. 29731
File 147551713844.png - (3.37MB, 2315x3274, an innocent clown.png) [iqdb]
29731
Kogasa steps into the room first. From the way she's clutching her umbrella and looking around awkwardly, I can't help but feel like Reimu just picked her up along the way. After her comes a brown-haired girl in what looks like a genuine high school uniform. Purple plaid skirt, matching sleeveless top over a white blouse... I haven't seen an outfit this 'modern' in a long time. Right behind her is... someone wearing red suspenders? I think I've seen her at Reimu's parties once or twice. Her clothes are covered in paper talismans... in fact, her hair is tied with them as well, in various places even. And bringing up the rear is-

Is-

IS-

I grab Reimu by the arm and pull her aside. "Wha- hey! What are you-"

"What is she doing here!?" I practically hiss at her.

"Whuh- who!? Let go!" Reimu tries to pull away from me. I tighten my grip and give her a forceful tug in response.

"Her!" I use my free hand to point to the star-spangled pierrot currently admiring the room.

Reimu indignantly looks over at who I'm pointing at, and then deflates a bit. "Oh. Her." I glare at Reimu, silently demanding an answer. "We were about halfway over here when I noticed her following us."

"And you didn't shoot her down... why?"

"I was going to, but..."

"But...?"

"... I remembered that you wanted me to bring four people with me, not four people total." Reimu admits, while averting her eyes a bit.

I can't help but gape at her.

"Look, do you know how long it takes to get to your shrine?"

"Of course I know!" I have to travel the whole distance every time I go to her shrine. "But you couldn't have just... just... diverted for a bit? And also shoot her down??"

"You said you wanted five players for this game, right? What possible harm could she do?" Is she serious. Had this been any other game, I would've accepted that answer. But- "And besides, she won't cause any trouble here."

"How can you possibly know that?"

"Because I have this," Reimu holds up a small piece of wood. Wait, no. That's a torch. Wait-

I look over at the fairy. She's eagerly looking over some posters on the wall, alongside the high school girl. There's a distinct lack of torch on the fairy's person. But even without it, there's no way that she can handle this sort of game...

"Just let her play. It'll all work out."

Agh. I must be insane. She's driven me insane, and without the use of her torch, even. Fine. Fine. She can play.

I release my grip on Reimu and head for my seat at the table. Kogasa and the suspenders woman were staring at me and Reimu during our conversation, and all things considered I don't blame them. They take my sitting down as a sign to join me at the table, alongside Reimu. The suspenders woman then calls out to the high school girl and the fairy.

Everyone is sitting in before me, now. Reimu is dead center, with suspenders and high schooler to her right, and Kogasa and fairy to her left. Time to start things off.

"Thank you all for coming. I'm Sanae Kochiya, and I'll be your Dungeon Master for the night." Reimu, Kogasa, and suspenders woman all mouth 'Dungeon Master' in near unison. The high schooler just smiles, looking a bit expectant. And-

"Hi Sanae! I'm Clownpiece, fairy of Hell!" She waves energetically at me.

It takes all of my willpower to not cringe at her. "Yes, I know who you are, Clownpiece." I think I'm cringing regardless.

"Huh? You do?"

"You met her back on the moon, remember?" Reimu scolds her, almost like an exasperated parent.

Clownpiece gets a vacant look on her face for a moment. "... Oh. Right."

I sigh, not quite as inwardly as I'd have liked. "So who wants to introduce themselves next?"

"Sumireko Usami, Higashifukami High, 1st year." Wait.

She seriously is a high school girl.

"Mokou," The suspenders woman introduces herself next. I look at her a bit expectantly, "... Just Mokou."

"Alright then," I look over at Kogasa now. I already know her, but for the everyone else's sake...

"Oh. Kogasa Tatara," She obliges. "Tsukumogami."

"Right. Now that we all know each other, let's get to it. The game I've invited you all to play..." I pause for dramatic effect, "Is Dungeons and Dragons."

There's a moment of silence. "Sounds scary! How do we play?" Which is broken by Clownpiece.

"You'll each be playing the role of a hero, a character that wanders the land, protecting the weak, exploring dangerous dungeons, and defeating great evils!" I'm overinflating this. I know I am.

"And that includes fighting dragons?" Reimu asks, a bit skeptical.

"Well... as Dungeon Master, I decide what you will and will not fight." An actual dragon, even a whelpling, would be too much for them right now anyway.

"Okay, so how do we play?" Clownpiece asks again.

"You'll each choose a different character to play as. They all have different abilities, and excel in different situations. Working together as a team is a very important part of this game."

Mokou looks across at Clownpiece, and possibly Kogasa as well, "Great."

"Funny," Though I can't help but mirror her sentiments. I produce a sheet of paper from behind my screen, handing it over to the players on the other side, "This is the first character, the Fighter."

( http://pastebin.com/UEHEqGtT )

"The Fighter excels in simple, hand-to-hand combat. With proficiency in all weapons and armor, the Figher is meant to be the front-line combatant, engaging enemies directly with their martial prowess."

"You sure know how to sell it," Sumireko remarks as Reimu takes the sheet.

"... What the heck is all this?"

"Huh? What do you mean, Reimu?"

"This is a bunch of nonsense!"

"What!? No it isn't!" What is she talking about?

"What does any of this mean?? 'S-T-R' 19? Plus 4? Shouldn't that just be 23 then?"

"No, that's-"

"Acrobatics, D-E-X, plus 3, prof?? This doesn't mean anything!"

"Give me a minute to explain!" Sumireko is quietly laughing at this. The others are quietly leaning over to look at the sheet themselves. "'STR' means 'Strength'. It's a measure of how physically strong your character is!"

"Why is it 'STR' then? Can't it just be labeled 'Strength'? And the numbers?"

"It's an abbreviation! The 19 is your ability score, and the +4 is the modifier."

"What, what does that mean?"

"The ability score - the 19 - is how strong your character is. But the modifier - the +4 - is what's actually added to ability checks and rolls."

"What. Then what's the point in the 19?? And 'ability checks and rolls'?"

Agh. Aaaaaagh. This is not how it's supposed to go...

[] I need to explain this to Reimu. She can't play if she can't understand the basic mechanics.
[] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.
[] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider, like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me Sumireko.
>> No. 29732
>>29729
>>29730

WaHH shows that when Kogasa is confident in herself, she is confident in herself. But can she achieve such confidence here?
>> No. 29733
[x] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me, Sumireko.

Fix the problems, braniac.
>> No. 29734
[x] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider, like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me Sumireko.

Tasukete~
>> No. 29735
[x] Sumireko

Goddamm, stop laughing and help!
>> No. 29736
[X] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider, like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me Sumireko.
>> No. 29737
[x] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider, like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me Sumireko.
>> No. 29738
[X] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me, Sumireko.

Very glad she came.
>> No. 29739
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.

I feel like immediately losing control of the room and having to beg for help from a player you don't even know (and can't count on actually being helpful) is a bad start.

Probably better to keep pushing forward instead of getting dragged down. Everyone seems to be here more or less voluntarily, so hopefully they'll try to go along with things.

Also I should probably read 5e at some point.
>> No. 29740
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.

We can explain it to Raymoo as we go along.
>> No. 29741
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.

Trial by fire is how I learned.
>> No. 29742
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.
>> No. 29743
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.

It'll probably be easier to explain with an actual encounter or something anyways.
>> No. 29744
[X] I'm... not familiar with this woman. Long silver hair, red suspenders, of all things?
[X] Oh... that green-haired youkai I often see at Reimu's parties. The terrifying one.
[X] Kogasa, of all people. It kinda looks like Reimu just picked her up off the street.
[X] Kasen Ibara. Not too surprising, all things considered.
>> No. 29745
>>29744

A little late, my friend. That was the last vote.
>> No. 29746
[x] Wait, Sumireko is clearly an Outsider, like me. She's clearly familiar with DnD. Help me Sumireko.
>> No. 29747
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.
>> No. 29748
[x] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.
>> No. 29749
[X] The others are waiting on characters as well. I should show them the other characters, and get into the game. They can learn by experience.
- [X] After you finish show Sumireko her character, ask her to help Reimu while you handle the others.
>> No. 29750
So as a quick heads up, I live in Florida and there's a big hurricane coming my way in the next couple days. Do not panic if there aren't any updates over the next week.
>> No. 29751
>>29750
Meh, classic writefag excuse. "My hard drive died" "I have college" "An hurricane is coming to my state and will destroy everything on its wake"

If you were REALLY dedicated you would update without Internet! Step it up.
>> No. 29752
I wonder how many threads you need to watch to be sure of an update from at least one daily?
Probably more than are alive right now.

Uhh... Don't drown, dude. That happens in hurricanes, right?
>> No. 29753
>>29750

Could you please give us a heads up if this hurricane is finally the one to sink Florida back into the lightless depths? Don't wanna keep this thread on the daily watch list if you're at the bottom of the ocean ya know?
>> No. 29754
>>29750
Sounds like Murasa is mad at you for not even including her in the character select poll.
>> No. 29755
>>29752

I hear most of the deaths from hurricanes occur from infections. People who casually move through the water don't realize it's a swirling death soup.

Kinda like a reverse War of the Worlds scenario where a small group of fully exposed humans attack a planet populated with only bacteria, protozoans, and viruses.
>> No. 29756
>>29755
That's not really true. Infections are a morbid factor, but not many actually die from it. Drowning and physical hazards from infrastructure damage are still the main causes of death.
>> No. 29757
>>29756

You're absolutely right. I was thinking of flooding when I made that post. My bad.
>> No. 29758
I am the luckiest son of a bitch.

Fled to a hotel in Tampa for two days. I was so prepared to come back to a wrecked house, or at least a ruined computer. Then the storm stayed out east for a bit and made landfall much farther north than expected. According to the neighbors we didn't even lose power once.

So that's a huge relief. Now to actually write an update.
>> No. 29759
File 147595530290.png - (1.20MB, 1000x1000, giving sanae an aneurysm.png) [iqdb]
29759
I need to keep this moving. Reimu will learn best when she's actually playing, and the others will learn better if they have character sheets of their own to look over as well.

"Look, this will all make sense once we're actually playing the game. I can explain everything as they come up." I assure Reimu. She just crosses her arms and huffs a bit.

I pull another sheet from behind my screen, handing it to the players, "So, this next character is the Rogue."

( http://pastebin.com/LD4n18Hx )

Sumireko takes the sheet before I can start the explanation, "The Rogue specializes in skill, stealth, and subterfuge." As I say this, Kogasa suddenly stands up a bit, looking over the desk at the sheet. Sumireko quickly notices, and passes the sheet across. "The Rogue is proficient in various skills, and in combat prefers to exploit the enemy's weaknesses rather than overpower them like the Fighter."

Kogasa is quickly reading over the sheet, though Sumireko is still looking at it from across the table. That could be an issue, if they both want it, but we'll have to see.

"Alright, next is the Cleric."

( http://pastebin.com/3nQtVMBt )

"The Cleric can be seen as something of a holy warrior. They devote their lives to the service of their patron deity, smiting foes and protecting the faithful."

"So, kinda like Reimu." Sumireko remarks.

"Except actually good at their job." Kogasa finishes.

"Hey!"

"Well, sort of..." I weakly offer. Mokou takes the cleric sheet. I also hand her a second one, "The Cleric is also the first of our spellcasting classes."

"Spellcasting, huh..." Mokou quietly mutters to herself.

"Yes, you have a list of spells available to you."

"This is a lot..."

"Yeah... I can explain how spellcasting works, but I'd like to show the other classes that use it as well, first."

"Alright then."

Well, at least Mokou is cooperative. Now let's see, next is...

"Our next character is the Wizard."

( http://pastebin.com/QaWK762Y )

"The Wizard-" I'm interrupted as a hand slams down on the sheet I just placed down. The hand pulls the sheet in front of its owner.

Its owner is Clownpiece.

"No." My response is automatic.

"Why not." Her response is just as quick, "I want to be a wizard!"

"The Wizard learns their spells through constant work and study. They learn the largest amount of spells of any class-"

"Great!"

"- but they have to prepare a specific spell in advance, whereas other classes can freely cast any spell they know!"

"What does that even mean?"

"It means you can't just cast every spell you know, whenever you want. You have to pick a small number to be able to use- and even then, you're still limited by your spell slots!"

"What? I'm that limited? That's a pretty lame wizard!"

"Hey, what are these 'spell slots' anyway?" Mokou suddenly asks, "I think I have two here...?"

"Right, right." I take a moment to compose myself. "Spells are divided into 'levels', from 1st to 9th. The higher a spell's level, the more powerful the spell is." Mokou nods in understanding. Clownpiece is pouting with her arms folded, but she also seems to be listening as well. "The number of spell slots a character has determines how many times you can cast a spell of that level. In this case, you only have two slots for 1st level spells, so you can only casts two 1st level spells."

"Pretty limited, considering I have... six different 1st level spells."

"As your character grows stronger, the number of spell slots you have will naturally increase. You'll gain more 1st level slots, and you'll gain slots for higher level spells as well."

"I see... and I have three 'cantrips' as well...?"

"Ah, yes. Cantrips are especially simple spells. So simple that they cost effectively nothing to cast. You may cast your cantrips as many times as you wish, and as frequently as you are allowed."

"Huh. Convenient."

"Yes, you'll always have something you can cast." I've actually made sure that every spellcaster here has one cantrip that damages enemies, just so they have that option.

I look over at Clownpiece, and find her staring down at her spell list, brow furrowed. Did she actually understand any of that? "Why do some of these have stars next to them?" She suddenly asks, looking up at me.

"... As I said earlier, the Wizard is a bit different from other spellcasters. You have the most spells to choose from, but you have choose a small number of them to 'prepare' for casting. You can't cast spells you haven't prepared."

"And the stars...?"

"Mark which spells are currently prepared."

Clownpiece looks back down at her sheets, staring holes into them. I can't tell if she understands any of this. I'm leaning towards no.

"Is that going to be okay?" Mokou asks. I look over at her. "Letting a fairy handle all of that?" I can't do much except give her an indecisive look. I'm really not sure.

"If she can't, I'm willing to handle the Wizard for her." Sumireko adds. That's reassuring, at least. "So, that last character...?" She then prompts me.

"Oh, right!" I pull out the final character sheet, "The Druid."

( http://pastebin.com/9gZdiZmf )

"The Druid calls upon the forces of nature to power their abilities and spells. They serve as protectors nature, keeping the world in balance, both on a metaphysical and ecological scale. The Druid is a spellcaster similar to the Cleric, merely able to cast directly from the list of spells that they know."

Kogasa takes the sheet for a moment, giving it a quick look. The others don't seem particularly interested in the Druid. A little interesting. So, with all the characters shown...

Reimu hasn't shown any interest in any character, really. She only has the Figher's sheet because it was the first one I showed. It is also the simplest character to play, and nobody seems willing to challenge her for it. It's probably best to just leave her the Fighter.

Mokou has shown interest in only the Cleric, which nobody else has. That makes things simple for her as well. She seems to have at least grasped the mechanics of spellcasting.

Sumireko and Kogasa both showed interest in the Rogue. A bit of an issue, but Kogasa has also shown some interest in the Druid. That could let me give the Rogue to Sumireko with little complaint. But Sumireko has also shown to be pretty understanding, so maybe she'll be okay with the Druid as well.

Clownpiece is dead set on the Wizard, which troubles me. I just don't really trust her with the class at all. Sumireko is willing to take the class from her, but then what does that leave? Rogue, probably, since Druid is also a spellcasting class. That would mean depriving Kogasa of her first choice, and forcing Rogue on Clownpiece... I guess it comes down to which I trust her with more: The Wizard, or not throwing a fit for not getting the Wizard.

Those are really my only options, regarding those three. Unless if I come up with something else...

[] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Sumireko the Rogue, and Kogasa can have the Druid.
[] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.
[] Force the Rogue on Clownpiece, let Sumireko handle the Wizard, and Kogasa gets the Druid.
[] Some other arrangement? (Write-in)
>> No. 29760
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.
>> No. 29761
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.
>> No. 29762
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Sumireko the Rogue, and Kogasa can have the Druid.

I hate to deny Kogasa sneak attacks, but this gives everybody something that they're interested in.
>> No. 29763
File 147597356034.jpg - (276.20KB, 1200x1592, Half-Elf-Sorcerer-Aaron_Miller.jpg) [iqdb]
29763
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.

If only there were a class that can perform magic, like the wizard, but spontaneously.. .
>> No. 29764
[x] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.
>> No. 29765
File 147598407980.png - (537.87KB, 1200x900, Clownpiece in a few levels.png) [iqdb]
29765
[x] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Sumireko the Rogue, and Kogasa can have the Druid.

If Kogasa gets creative, the Druid should still give her plenty of opportunities for surprising/terrifying people. Summon Nature's Ally and eventually wild shape have obvious possibilities.

And this is THP. How could we not let Demetrious-fairy have the Wizard?
>> No. 29766
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Sumireko the Rogue, and Kogasa can have the Druid.
>> No. 29767
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.

Sumireko seems familiar with DnD. There's a high chance that if she's played before, she will have had some exposure to a Rogue class, whether playing, or with someone else doing so. However, Druids are not necessarily the most standard class, so her disinterest may stem from not knowing about it particularly.

Giving her the Druid provides two bonuses: she doesn't know it and therefore is just as much a newbie with it as the others, and I forgot while writing. I'll say what it was if I remember.

Man, this takes me back to my first DnD session! I was a halfling rogue, and had the feat that gave me 2d4 instead of 1d6 for sneak attack (I think, it's been a long time). I was the strongest guy in the party. It was great.
>> No. 29768
[x] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Sumireko the Rogue, and Kogasa can have the Druid.

Hard choice, but hopefully this'll keep everyone happy.
>> No. 29769
[X] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard, give Kogasa the Rogue, and Sumireko can have the Druid.
>> No. 29770
[X] Force the Rogue on Clownpiece, let Sumireko handle the Wizard, and Kogasa gets the Druid.

Mainly because forcing things on Clownpiece should be something we should be encouraging in this community. Don't count this as an actual vote.
>> No. 29771
[x] Let Clownpiece have the Wizard
-[x] Ask Kogasa which she would prefer

Let the players decide. Newbies get first pick. Maybe she's fine with the Druid?

If it's supposed to be certain that she'd strongly prefer Rogue then count this as a vote for Kogasa as Rogue.
>> No. 29772
File 147624259960.jpg - (88.64KB, 960x540, what is roleplaying.jpg) [iqdb]
29772
Ultimately... I want everyone to have fun here. This is just supposed to be a game... even if it's D&D.

"Alright, you can have the Wizard, Clownpiece."

"Yeah!"

"Mokou, you want the Cleric?" I look over at her. May as well confirm everyone else's choices.

"Sure. Sounds interesting." She doesn't actually sound that interested, actually. There's not much I can do there, though. For now, anyway.

"Kogasa, you wanted the Rogue, right?" I look between her and Sumireko.

"Yeah, it sounds fun!" Well, she's interested, at least.

I cast a glance at Sumireko, who catches it. "It's fine. I can take the Druid." She reaches over for the Druid's sheet, which Kogasa passes to her. Well, that's a relief.

"And finally, Reimu has the Fighter."

"Alright, alright. Now let's get to the game already!" Reimu is eager to get started. I don't really blame her.

"Yeah, I wanna start using my magic on people!" I'm also not surprised that Clownpiece is ready to get started.

"Okay," I take a moment to clear my throat, "A caravan begins to pull itself into a small village, nestled on the banks of a babbling creek. While most of the wagons bear goods for trade, one wagon, pulled-"

"What are you doing?" I'm suddenly interrupted by Reimu.

"I-I'm establishing the setting!" I practically stammer out.

"The setting?" She parrots back at me.

"You're playing as a band of heroes! You travel the land, searching for evil to best and treasure to find! This doesn't take place in a vacuum!"

"What does any of that have to do with what you were spouting about earlier!?"

"I, whuh-" I take a moment to calm myself. Sumireko is quietly laughing to herself again. Very helpful, she is. "Don't you know anything about roleplaying?"

"Role-playing? Like, what?" Reimu picks up one of the dice off the table, "You mean rolling these, right?"

She can't be serious. "No! No!"

"Wait," Clownpiece chimes in now, "If we're not rolling these dice, then why are they even here?"

"We are rolling the dice!"

Reimu is quick to continue, "Then we're roll-playing, right?"

"No! Role, as in..." Agh, how do I describe this?

"Like a role you play in a movie!" Sumireko helpfully adds. Although given where we are and what everyone here is familiar, and not familiar with, all this earns is a few looks. "... Like a role you play in a... theater... performance?" Good enough.

"...Wait, so we have to put on a performance?" Not good enough, dammit Clownpiece.

"No, not- not a full performance, but-" I'm trying to regain control.

"So... half a performance?" I'm failing to regain control. "That's weird!"

"Can everyone shut up and let me explain this!?"

Everyone shuts up.

I take another moment to calm myself. "Roleplaying means pretending to be someone you're not. It means assuming the persona of someone else, typically a make-believe person. When you play this game, Reimu, you're not going to play 'as' Reimu Hakurei, you're going to play as..." I just remembered I never actually named these characters. I made a foolish choice, trusting them to name their characters. "... a Dwarven Fighter, wandering the lands in search of fame and glory." Good enough.

"If we're just going to play pretend then why do we have these sheets, with all of these numbers?" Reimu is still struggling with this.

"We'll be using the character sheets alongside your roleplaying. The sheets record what your character is physically capable of, but you determine how they think and act."

Reimu looks down at her sheet, still looking confused by everything. This can't be that hard to grasp...

"So..." I look over at Kogasa, who has suddenly spoken up after all of that, "You were saying? Before, with the caravan and the village on the creek?"

Right, right... "A caravan pulls itself into a village," I continue, having lost a lot of my enthusiasm, "Most of the wagons carry trade goods, but one carries a band of five... weary travelers." I look up at the table a moment. Everyone looks weary after that exchange earlier, even Mokou, who wasn't even part of it. "Once the caravan has made it past the village guards and brought itself to a halt, these five disembark from their wagon." I look up at the players again, "They are..."

[] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.
-[] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.
[] Let's just refer to them by their actual names for now.
>> No. 29773
[x] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[x] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.

Maybe it'll help them get into their roles.
>> No. 29774
[x] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[x] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.
>> No. 29775
[x] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[x] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.

Hang in there, Sanae!
>> No. 29776
[x] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[x] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.

Considering their unfamiliarity with DnD, with the exception of Sumireko apparently, it's probably best to have them pick from an example list of names.

As for the setting, hmm I thought it was Dragonlance at first when I saw the race of "hill dwarf" in one of the pastebin sheets but then I realized I'd confused that with "gully dwarf."

Any idea on which edition or setting is being used here?
W
>> No. 29777
[x] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[x] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.

We want them to RP.
>> No. 29778
[x] Let them make up whatever name they want.

Its an easy way to start differentiating between the role and the person
>> No. 29779
[X] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.
-[] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.

This way, if they don't like the examples, they can make their own.
>> No. 29780
[X] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[X] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.
-[X] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.

Oh boy, I can already tell it's going to take Reimu a lot of time to get used to this.
>> No. 29781
>>29776
>Any idea on which edition or setting is being used here?
Fifth edition, setting has yet to be fully defined.
>> No. 29782
[X] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.
>> No. 29783
[X] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[X] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.
>> No. 29784
[x] Try and get them to at least come up with names for their characters.
-[x] The player's handbook has example names for each species. They can use those as a reference.
-[x] Let them use whatever names they want for their characters.

Always better to have a reference point so they at least know what the standards are. Can't imagine Reimu and Mokou trying very hard on their character names by themselves.
>> No. 29785
File 147655830012.png - (777.70KB, 1200x1440, bonk.png) [iqdb]
29785
I want them to name their characters. It'll help them distinguish themselves from their characters, and get a better handle on roleplaying, I'm sure of it. But they have no reference point; they don't know what's an appropriate name for this sort of setting.

Wait, I think the player's handbook has something for this.

I take the book and flip it open. Let's see... Dwarf, page 18. Blah blah blah, short and stout, clans and kingdoms... aha! Dwarf names! Perfect!

"Okay," I look back up at the players, "I want you all to come up with names for your characters." I turn the book over to the girl sitting opposite me, "Reimu, here is a list of Dwarf names for you to use."

"What, you want me to just pick a name from this list?"

"Sure." She could also try to come up with her own name by using the list as a reference, but that may be asking too much of her. "Sumireko, you're also playing as a Dwarf, so you should pick a name here as well."

Sumireko looks over at the book while Reimu is scanning it. She then closes her eyes and starts drumming her fingers on the table. Is she going to come up with her own name?

"Wait, what's all this other stuff here?"

I turn back to Reimu, "What 'other stuff'?"

"This!" She points at the page, lower down from the name lists, "'Ability Score Increase', 'Alignment', 'Darkvision'?"

"That's not important!" Why does she keep getting distracted? "I've already taken care of those parts! Just pick a name!"

"You took care of this stuff, but not the name?"

"I wanted you to come up with a name yourself! Now just... pick one!"

Reimu huffs, and then looks back down at the book. "Uh... Riswynn... Holderhek."

"Okay, good." We're making progress, "Write that down at the top of your sheet, where it says 'Name'."

"I know where to write it!"

"I'm making sure." I can't trust her with anything, I've come to realize.

I look over at Sumireko, about to prompt her, only to see her place her pencil down, having filled in a name as well.

"Oh, you came up with a name, Sumireko?"

"Yup!" She folds her arms, leans back, and smirks, "Egom Berneth."

That look she's giving me...

It's smug. Too smug. I know that look. She's referencing something none of us know, and is relishing in knowing something obscure.

She's a hipster. Great.

I take the player's handbook, and flip a few pages forward, "Alright, Kogasa, you're playing an Elf, so you get to choose an Elf name, now." She takes the book, looking over the names available to her, now.

"Hey," I look over at Mokou, "It says 'Half-Elf' here on my sheet. I take it that means half Elf, half Human?"

"Ah, you're right," I'm a bit confused for a moment, but then I realize why she's bringing this up, "You can pick either a human name or an Elf name, your choice."

"Alright, I'll look when she's done." It's a relief to see someone can handle this.

"Lia Nightbreeze..." I catch Kogasa whispering. Enthusiastically whispering, even. I think she's actually getting into this. Thank gods.

Kogasa passes the book over to Mokou once she's written down her name. Now it's her turn to decide on a name.

Mokou stares down at the book, eyes narrowed.

...

She's spending a lot of time on this.

Sumireko eventually leans in, "You need some help there?"

Mokou points down at the name list with her pencil, "The rear part of the Elf name is the front part of the Common translation, right?"

Um...?

Sumireko looks down, scanning the name list herself now, "I... think so? Yeah, 'Gemflower' and 'Gemblossom' both end with 'Kiir'."

"That's what I thought..." Mokou finally writes a name down on her sheet.

"... Enna Ilphelgala?"

"Mhm."

Well, alright then. I take the book again, turning to the Human name lists.

Oh, there are like eight different lists here, because Humans are of course extremely diverse in all fictional settings. Great.

I look over at Clownpiece, and-

She's asleep.

... I was wondering why she was so quiet through all of this. Still, I kinda need her to be awake. "Could someone wake up the fairy?"

"Oh! I got this!" Kogasa spots what is no doubt a perfect opportunity. She takes a deep breath, leans in and hovers right above Clownpiece's ear...

"BOO!"
"GYAAAAGH!"

Clownpiece shoots straight up to a sit... and because Kogasa's face was hovering directly overhead...

That sounded painful.

Kogasa is knocked almost clean out of her seat. She's technically still in it, but she's sitting sideways now. With her upper back and head on the floor. Reimu just looks down at her with the most tired expression on her face. Sumireko returns to her usual state of silently laughing at the proceedings. Mokou leans over to the side to get a look at the fallen Kogasa.

Clownpiece, for her part, is frantically looking around for the source of her scare. "What- what happened?? What was that??" I don't think she even registered hitting her head on Kogasa.

"Nothing, go pick a name." Reimu... does not mince words. At all.

"Huh?"

I sigh and turn the book over to her. "Just... come up with a name from these lists..."

Clownpiece looks at the book... for all of two seconds. "Miri Khalid!"

"That... was fast. Okay, write it down on your character sheet."

"What?"

I point out the field labeled 'Name' at the top of her sheet. Actually can she even...?

Well, Clownpiece takes the pencil and writes 'Mira Khalid' down... kinda large and sloppily, but she did spell it right. That's rather impressive.

"You alive down there?" Mokou suddenly calls out to Kogasa.

"Worth it..." Kogasa weakly responds, voice strained. She pulls herself back up, rubbing her jaw.

I take a moment to look over the Human name lists, just to confirm. Let's see... 'Khalid' is a Calishite surname, but... I don't see Miri here? Wait, it's here, under Chondathan names. That's... that could be interesting, from a story perspective. With how quickly she picked the name though, it's clear that Clownpiece gave no such consideration to it. Still, maybe we can do something with this.

"Alright," I take a few breaths, "Now that everyone has their names, we can begin."

"Finally." I don't need your sass, Reimu.
>> No. 29786
WHERE ARE THE CHOICES EGGMAN??
>> No. 29787
File 147673812843.png - (1.17MB, 1000x1350, troublemaker.png) [iqdb]
29787
CHARACTER SHEETS:
Reimu: Riswynn, the Dwarf Fighter - http://pastebin.com/UEHEqGtT
Kogasa: Lia, the Elf Rogue - http://pastebin.com/LD4n18Hx
Mokou: Enna, the Half-Elf Cleric - http://pastebin.com/3nQtVMBt
Clownpiece: Miri, the Human Wizard - http://pastebin.com/QaWK762Y
Sumireko: Egom, the Dwarf Druid - http://pastebin.com/9gZdiZmf

----------

"After weeks of travel, a caravan draws into the village of Haverhill. This caravan has come at a most important time: Haverhill is one of the largest farming villages in the land, and the Harvest Festival will soon be underway. Trade caravans from all over have come to sell their wares, purchase the newly harvested crops, and enjoy the merriment of the festival."

"When do we start playing?" Clownpiece suddenly interrupts me.

I groan a tiny bit, and continue, "The five of you disembark from your wagon, taking in the sight around you. Traders are unloading goods from their wagons, preparing for the coming days of commerce. What shall you do?"

The players stare at me, seemingly at a loss. Except for Sumireko, who glances around, and (thankfully) takes some initiative here, "Well, I don't know about you lot, but I could use a drink after all that traveling."

"If you're that thirsty," Reimu responds, "You should have told Sanae when we got here!"

"No, Reimu, I was speaking in-character." Oh boy, it starts again. "I'm not thirsty, but Egom, my character, is."

"Wait," Kogasa speaks up now, "Is that something we need to keep track of? How hungry and thirsty we are?"

"Not explicitly," I answer, "We generally shouldn't need to keep track of that, but if, say... you were traveling through wilderness for a long period of time, you would definitely need to maintain food supplies. But since you were traveling in a well-stocked caravan, you don't need to worry about that." Kogasa glances over at Sumireko for a moment, "She was just roleplaying, remember." I quickly add.

"So, with that said," Sumireko picks things up again, "I'd like to ask one of the traders here if they know of a place where we can get some drinks."

"Right," I look down at my notes for a moment, "The trader tells you that someone went ahead to arrange for lodgings at a local inn. He believes the place was called The Wandering Paladin."

"What's a paladin?" Clownpiece suddenly asks.

"It's a holy warrior." Sumireko beats me to the explanation. Though hers is a lot simpler than the one I would have given.

"So like a Cleric?" Mokou turns to Sumireko.

"Um, sorta, but with more focus on smiting evil than healing the sick and all that."

"Right," Close enough, "The trader points you in the direction their friend went. He notes that the inn shouldn't be too far away."

"Alright, let's go check ourselves in!" Sumireko gets blank stares for her comment, "...Let's see if we can get a room at that inn."

"Will the rest of you be joining her?" I prompt the others. I'm thankful that Sumireko is trying to push this forward, but I can't have her making every decision here.

"I guess?" Reimu is still uncertain about everything.

"Um, how many people are around us?" Kogasa suddenly asks.

"You're currently by the caravan, which consists of six wagons. The wagons have roughly three people in each, not counting the caravan guards. Traders are currently unloading crates of goods from the wagons."

"I'm gonna put the people carrying the crates to sleep!"

"What!" I turn to look at Clownpiece. Reimu and Mokou both roll their eyes, as Kogasa and Sumireko join me in staring.

"What, I wanna use my magic! I can do that, right? I have this spell here!"

"I don't think you should do that!" Kogasa suddenly intervenes, "There are those guards there, right?"

"Yes. The guards would definitely notice you putting the traders to sleep."

"How? I'm using magic to put people to sleep! Can they see the magic?"

"Depends on the magic." Mokou remarks.

"Clownpiece, listen to me," I start, "Look at spell on your sheet."

She frowns, but looks down, "Yeah?"

"Do you see where it says 'Components'?"

"Yeah. What does that mean?"

"It means those are things you need to cast the spell. Now, what does it say, after 'Components'?"

"Uh... Verbal... So... Soma... tic? And... Ma...teri... al. Material!"

"Right. Do you know what that all means?"

"No."

"Of course she doesn't." Reimu remarks.

"'Verbal' means that you have to speak something in order to cast the spell,"

"Like an incantation!"

"Like an incantation." Good, she understands that, at least. "'Somatic' means you have to move your body in a certain way, make gestures with your hands in order to cast the spell."

"Like waggling my fingers!"

"Like waggling your fingers, sure." She gets that as well. "And 'Material'... you can actually ignore that part. But think:"

"About what?"

"In order to put people to sleep, you have to waggle your fingers and speak an incantation."

"Right!"

"So people see you do all that, and then some other people fall asleep." I hope she can connect the dots.

After a few moments of silence, it's clear that she's not connecting them.

"That means people can see you cast the spell!" Reimu finishes for me.

"... oh."

"So," I continue, "If you put them to sleep, you will immediately get into trouble."

"... What if I put the guards to sleep?"

My face.
My palms.

"Is it regular sleep, or some kind of magical deep sleep?" Sumireko suddenly asks.

"Regular sleep. Deep sleep would be too much for a 1st level character to have." I answer.

"So the traders could just wake the guards up, then. And then tell them what happened."

"Boooo! What kinda Wizard is this?"

"A beginner wizard!" I'm almost yelling at her, "You've just started on your path, and are nowhere near capable of such great displays of magic yet!"

Clownpiece crosses her arms and pouts at me. I'm not letting her drive things off the rails when we've just barely started!

"So," Sumireko ventures, as I'm breathing hard through grit teeth, "... That inn?"

"Right." I take yet another moment to calm myself, "You traverse the streets of Haverhill. People are hurriedly moving to and fro, making preparations for the upcoming festival. After a bit of navigating the crowds, you spot the inn, The Wandering Paladin, a short distance down a particularly busy street."

"Alright, let's get in there already!" Reimu is enthusiastic, but I think that's just because she wants to move on from... earlier.

I cast a glance over at Clownpiece. She's still pouting with her arms crossed, but now she's also staring down at her character sheet. I don't like that looks of that.

Still, nothing to do but to forge ahead, "You enter the inn. Immediately, the smell of rich oak wood fills your nostrils. The place as a very 'rustic' feel to it, with everything from the walls to the seats made of simple-looking wood. You feel like the place would be rather cozy, but right now it is packed with all sorts of people, Halflings and Humans mostly-"

"What's a 'Halfling'?"

"A small person, around three feet tall. Live very simple lives." Sumireko answers Reimu's question for me.

"... Halflings and Humans mostly, but a few Dwarves can be spotted as well. The bar is lined with people, with every seat there occupied. Towards the back of the room is a stair-"

"I'm gonna use my Mage Hand to shove the people at the bar into each other!"

[] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
[] She reaps what she sows.
>> No. 29788
[X] She reaps what she sows.

I've had worse starts to a campaign than a bar brawl. Let's see where this goes!
>> No. 29790
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
>> No. 29791
[X] She reaps what she sows.

Let the idiot fairy start a bar fight. I doubt it'll work, but she could learn something from it.
>> No. 29792
[X] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.

>>29789
Chaos magic takes three turns to set up, right?
>> No. 29793
[X] She reaps what she sows.
- [X] Be fair enough that the rest of the party can escape relatively unscathed - and the fairy, albeit not without some suitable karma first.
>> No. 29794
[X] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.

But Sanae, you are the god.

I'm still holding out hope that if things are explained well enough to her, Clownpiece can be reasoned out of becoming a THAT guy. It seems early to pull the "you're being an idiot and now you and everybody else will have to suffer for it" card. Honestly Clownpiece might end up enjoying that if it annoys everybody OOC as well.
>> No. 29796
[X] She reaps what she sows.
- [X] Be fair enough that the rest of the party can escape relatively unscathed - and the fairy, albeit not without some suitable karma first.
- [X] Express disappointment OOC - if she's going to ruin our campaign, she needs to have at least some creativity.

Remember, we're the DM. Our job is to keep this train, if not on the rails, at least within 1km of the rails, and part of that job is punishing abject stupidity. If Clownpiece - and the rest, but mostly American Fairy - doesn't fear the phrase "Are you sure?" by the end of this, we have failed as a dungeon master. On the other hand, we shouldn't make a habit of this. Nobody likes a DM that rains rocks down from the heavens for the slightest of sins.

On the other other hand, and speaking as a player and DM, this derailing attempt just disappoints me. I was once part of a game where one of the other players derailed the campaign by falling in yandere-mode-lust with a random NPC, seducing and banging him, dragging him into a church and informing him in front of a 20th level cleric that he must take responsibility, and turning their wedding into an orgy and lighting the damn church on fire. I had a player in one of my games roll to create a candle, drinking cup, and easy chair out of an old woman's body because she refused to relinquish the deed to her house. I myself blew up half a continent with a Limited Wish and a moon to spite a boss, and only found out later that the continent was filled with 10th level sorcerers and I had earned enough XP to become Lucifer himself. As far as taverns go, I once used Suggestion to convince a dwarf to inform a nearby elven maiden-cum-queen that he was a miner, and he wanted to put his 6-inch mattock into her guano cave. Boop-some-people-with-mage-hand is just weak, man.
>> No. 29797
[X] She reaps what she sows.
- [X] Be fair enough that the rest of the party can escape relatively unscathed - and the fairy, albeit not without some suitable karma first.
>> No. 29798
>>29797 here
I want to add [X] Express disappointment OOC - if she's going to ruin our campaign, she needs to have at least some creativity.
to my vote.
>> No. 29799
>>29791 here.

I'd like to add the following to my vote:

- [X] Be fair enough that the rest of the party can escape relatively unscathed - and the fairy, albeit not without some suitable karma first.
- [X] Express disappointment OOC - if she's going to ruin our campaign, she needs to have at least some creativity.
>> No. 29800
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
Cue Kanako and Suwako popping in and saying mean things to us.
>> No. 29801
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.

Enough with the lolrandum already.
>> No. 29802
[X] She reaps what she sows.
>> No. 29805
[X] She reaps what she sows.
- [X] Be fair enough that the rest of the party can escape relatively unscathed - and the fairy, albeit not without some suitable karma first.
- [X] Express disappointment OOC - if she's going to ruin our campaign, she needs to have at least some creativity.

I can LEARN from the resulting punishment.

Clowntown will eventually start trying to over do it until it's not even funny if we don't do this right.

Reel 'em iiiiin, give'emsomeslack.

Reel 'em iiiiin, give'emsomeslack.

Like fishing!

Let's do it right, so we mold Clownpiece from LOLRANDUM in to ZANY PARTY GUY with FUNNY AND COOL IDEAS!
>> No. 29806
[X] She reaps what she sows.
- [X] Be fair enough that the rest of the party can escape relatively unscathed - and the fairy, albeit not without some suitable karma first.
- [X] Express disappointment OOC - if she's going to ruin our campaign, she needs to have at least some creativity.
>> No. 29807
I think Sanny shouldn't get mad or upset at Clownpiece. I don't think she's intentionally trying to ruin our campaign. It's more likely she just isn't familiar with how the actions/consequences dynamic works in this setting. Also, I think it's fair and reasonable to suggest that fairies are naturally impulsive, so making her feel bad about a silly mistake seems a bit overbearing and out of line on the DM's part.
>> No. 29808
I don't think Mage Hand can actually affect beings. Perhaps she could steal drinks that way, but that's about it.

I still think she should get trolled by it being a common occurrence at this place, though.
>> No. 29809
[x] Reap what you saw
-[x] Benign
--[x] No fairy taunting
>> No. 29810
I don't know that she's trying to "ruin" or "derail" anything. We told her it's a game, so she's playing, the way fairies do. We need to make it clear that this isn't how you play.
>> No. 29811
>>29807
I agree with all the points made here, but
>Sanny
>> No. 29812
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
-[x] Benign
--[x] No fairy taunting

I'll change my vote to this. I forgot that we're dealing with someone with absolutely no knowledge of DnD or roleplaying games.
>> No. 29813
Changing my vote to:
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
-[x] Benign
--[x] No fairy taunting
As well. It's no fun if we just punish her, we need to make her learn.
>> No. 29814
>>29788
Changing my vote to
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
-[x] Benign
--[x] No fairy taunting

In the interests of keeping the game moving and being more constructive.
>> No. 29815
Changing my vote:

[X] Reap what you saw
-[X] Benign
--[X] No fairy taunting
>> No. 29816
>>29805

Let's remove - [X] Express disappointment OOC - if she's going to ruin our campaign, she needs to have at least some creativity.

from that vote. It's too early for disappointment.

She will learn on her own.

One mistake at a time.
>> No. 29817
File 147710072933.png - (1.46MB, 1830x1314, fairy pranks are shit-tier.png) [iqdb]
29817
Okay I'm gonna have to call the vote here due to confusing amounts of vote-changing.

I think we've ended up with a tie between OoC scolding and IC punishing, but with a strong lean to be understanding and not shove too hard on Clownpiece.

>>29807
>>29810
I was getting worried that people were missing that little detail.
>> No. 29818
For those that are interested, Sumireko's name might be a reference to 'Dwarf fortress'' dwarven. Here, the words Egom, Ber, and Neth mean Nature, Earth, and Balance, respectively.

Which makes for a fitting name for a druid.

Sanae might or might not be aware; I'm leaning towards not; as DF was very new back when she came to Gensokyo and wouldn't have as many dwarven words in it at the time.
>> No. 29819
[x] I will rein in this fairy and make her behave, gods be damned.
-[x] Benign
--[x] No fairy taunting

She doesn't know better

>>29818
I thought Dwarf Fortress has been around for some time though. When did it first come out?
>> No. 29820
File 147752482335.png - (845.67KB, 1067x1533, WELCOME TO HELL.png) [iqdb]
29820
Writer's block has slammed into me like a sack of trains. Update coming when I shove through it.

On the plus side, new VFiS has given me quite a bit of material to work with. And thankfully confirms that Clownpiece can read and write.

>>29818
I'm amazed it took this long for someone to point that out, considering my previous story on this site.
>> No. 29821
>>29820
>>29818

I thought it was referencing the instagram photographer of the same name (for extra smugness). Brandon Egom Berneth.
>> No. 29831
File 148087502957.jpg - (643.08KB, 909x902, tempted.jpg) [iqdb]
29831
A part of me really wants to make her suffer. A part of me wants to escalate this into a bar brawl and have a Halfling thrown into her face.

Another part of me realizes that there are other players here. Players who are experiencing this game for the first time. A bar brawl in response to a fairy's prank wouldn't really be the best first impression for them.

... That's what's actually going on here, isn't it? Clownpiece isn't really trying to ruin the campaign. She probably doesn't even know that there is a campaign to begin with. She's just going about this the way a fairy would: playing pranks and being a nuisance. I still need to get her to behave, but...

Let's have a quick look through the book. The others look at me, a little confused and concerned. That's fine, I just need to double-check this.

Right, Mage Hand can only lift 10 pounds. It probably can't shove anything heavier than 10 pounds either, then. Or at least, not very well. Either way, that's all I need to know.

"Alright," Let's get this moving again, "The Mage Hand shoves into the patron's side... but fails to produce enough force to topple him over."

"Whaaaaat??"

"The patron looks towards the source of the shoving, and finds the floating Mage Hand at his side."

"Wait, he can see it??"

"He then looks around the tavern, and spots Miri in her wizard robes. He makes a rude gesture at her, then returns to drinking."

"This is dumb!" She's returned to pouting with her arms crossed. "I can't do anything fun!"

"You're going about this the wrong way!" Even if I'm trying to go easy on her, she's still exasperating.

"'The wrong way'? We're playing a game, aren't we?"

"Do you even know what this game is about?"

"We're playing pretend! That's what you said, right?"

"We're telling a story." Easy, keep your voice even, Sanae. "And a wizard using her magic for some cheap laughs doesn't make for a compelling story."

"Sure it does!"

"You're still trying to be yourself." Sumireko suddenly interrupts us. "The point of this is to be someone you're not. To take on the experiences and persona of another person." She leans back and crosses her arms, as if she's spoken some ancient wisdom, "That's what it means to roleplay."

Clownpiece stares at her a bit blankly, as are Reimu and Kogasa.

"... Huh?" She eventually responds. Sumireko falters, not expecting that.

Maybe we're going about this wrong. Maybe... let's try and simplify this for her. "Clownpiece,"

She looks back to me now.

"We're playing pretend, right?"

"Yeah?"

"Then... pretend you're not a fairy."

"What?"

"Pretend you're not a fairy. Pretend you're a human. A human named Miri Khalid." Her face scrunches up in confusion now. "If you were a human... a human named Miri... how would you act? How would you think?"

Clownpiece stares at me with that expression for a moment, before turning her head to the side a bit, staring off into space now. A few moments pass in silence like this.

"This is pointless." Reimu interjects.

"Reimu, please." I really don't want to lose momentum here. I glance back over at Clownpiece, and her expression suddenly... softens? She's still staring off, but she looks less confused and upset now.

"... Maybe we should keep playing." I venture, "So, where were we?"

"We went to a tavern to find lodgings." Mokou reminds me. She kinda looks like she was tuning the entire argument out.

"Right, thank you." Let's get this back on track. "Behind the bar, a short Dwarf moves back and forth, tending to the patrons in front of her. She moves with a surprising amount of grace, handling mugs of alcohol with great dexterity."

"Okay..." Mokou's voice trails off, looking a bit uncertain as to how to proceed.

Fortunately, Sumireko is right there to keep things moving, "Just go up and talk to her!"

"What?" Mokou turns to look at her.

"Just say, 'I go up to the bar and address the Dwarf behind it.'"

"Erm, I go up to the bar and address the Dwarf behind it?"

Good enough, "The Dwarf looks at you as you approach, and greets you. 'Aye, what can I get yeh?'"

Sumireko cracks a small smile. Reimu, Kogasa, and Mokou look at me funny. Clownpiece is still staring off.

Mokou stalls a bit again, and Sumireko gives her another nudge, "Okay, now ask for a room!"

"Erm, we want to purchase a room here, for the night?" Again, good enough.

"'Hrm,' The Dwarf ponders your request, 'A rather large trade caravan just rolled into town today. It'll be difficult to fit yeh all a room with the lot of them stayin' here as well.'"

"Hey," Reimu interrupts, "Weren't we with that caravan?"

"Yes, you are." I glance over at Mokou, "Maybe you should tell her that?"

Reimu takes the prompt, however, "We're with that caravan! We were..." She sputters out for a moment, "Why were we even with them?"

There's a brief pause, "We're part of the caravan guard?" Sumireko ventures.

"Sure, you're part of the caravan guard."

"We're part of the caravan guard!"

This is getting a bit silly now. "The tavernkeeper looks you over for a moment. 'Arright, arright. No need to get snippy. Two gold pieces per night, fer the lot of yeh.'"

"Gold pieces??" Reimu goes off again, "We have to pay with actual gold??"

"No, Reimu, it's the currency. Look- turn your character sheet over to the other side."

Reimu does so, and goggles a bit at everything written there.

"That," I preempt her protest, "Is your inventory. It's a list of everything you're carrying. And at the top it should say how much money you have."

Reimu scans the sheet over. Mokou and Kogasa turn their sheets over as well, realizing that they have an inventory as well. Sumireko I'm sure has already checked hers.

"...Forty-nine 'gee-pee'?"

"GP, yes. For 'gold pieces'. You have plenty of money."

"And... 'SP' and 'CP'?" Mokou suddenly asks.

"Silver pieces and copper pieces. Smaller denominations."

"Alright, alright. I'm paying then?" Reimu asks. I glance around the table. Sumireko and Kogasa both have somewhat guilty looks on their faces. They're perfectly fine with Reimu spending her money for them. Mokou seems to have stopped caring after Reimu's outburst. Clownpiece is still staring at nothing. I'm starting to worry about her.

"Mhm," I answer, "Mark down the payment..." Reimu stares at me, "... Just subtract two from your GP total. The tavernkeeper accepts your payment, and hands you an iron key. The number '17' is engraved into the key."

"Our room number?" Sumireko ventures.

"Correct."

"Alright!" Reimu sets down her pencil, "We have our room! ... Now what?"

There's a pause. Everyone glances around at each other, but nobody actually speaks up.

[] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.
[] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Okay, so writer's block gave way to procrastination. Let's get this rolling again.
>> No. 29832
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.

How could we leave the tavern before an old man offers us a quest?
>> No. 29833
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.

glorious exposition
>> No. 29834
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.
>> No. 29835
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.

Everything from discussing what they're DOING exactly to overhearing juicy tidbits can happen at a bar!
>> No. 29836
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.
>> No. 29837
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.

Roll for carousing!
>> No. 29838
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.

Wandbagon!
>> No. 29839
[x] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Surely, a familiar setting would help them get acclimated to the game?
>> No. 29840
[x] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.
>> No. 29842
[x] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.
>> No. 29843
[X] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

I know when I'm pissing into the tide, but nothing ventured and all that.
>> No. 29844
[x] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Moving forward might help alleviate some of the awkwardness of exposition
>> No. 29845
[X] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

I really get the feeling these particular players will learn a lot faster by simply "doing" things. Talking about stuff hasen't gotten us anywhere.

>>29843

Your dedication fight the status quo is commendable. You sir, have my bow.
>> No. 29846
[x] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.

14 votes before I even notice there's an update, dayum.
>> No. 29847
[x] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Eh, the less conversation made with this lot the better, methinks. They all need their go at doing whatever to get into it.
>> No. 29848
[X] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

As some people have pointed out, this group feels like an "act, don't talk" group. So some rolling of dice might be a good way for them to get into things.
>> No. 29849
Having been reading the "No Such Thing As..." series of stories here, I wonder how creepy it would be for everyone if instead of D&D they were playing Changeling: The Lost .
>> No. 29850
[X] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Was going to do the other, but Anon raises a good point. These guys will learn faster by doing.
>> No. 29851
[X] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Switched my vote to this. This might be more fun honestly.
>> No. 29852
This is what I get for not publicly calling the vote and procrastinating. The tide actually does turn and I end up with a tie. I have no one to blame but myself here, really.
>> No. 29853
>>29852

Just go with the festival voters. Our willingness to persevere against impossible odds deserves to be forever enshrined within the next update.
>> No. 29854
[X] They can get directed to the festival itself. Merchants and stalls and games, before getting into the meat of the session.

Here have a tie breaker.
>> No. 29855
Ties are the lifeblood of this place. Without them, it would wither away and die.
>> No. 29856
>>29855

I dunno about that. There was that one dude over in /blue/ who said he saw a tie in his story and basically just gave up on life.
>> No. 29872
[X] Sumireko brought everyone to the tavern for a drink. Let's continue that, get some gossip and information.
>> No. 29873
>>29872

A bit late on voting don't you think?
>> No. 29874
>>29873

It's prolly a "where are the updates Eggman you said there would be updates" vote.
>> No. 29875
>>29874
Yeah you're probably right. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if they were playing GURPS.

Or Traveller.

Or playing one of those really lethal D&D settings like Athas from Dark Sun.
>> No. 29947
File 149091189153.jpg - (908.29KB, 1500x1750, DO YOU LIKE GAMEPLAY MECHANICS CUZ I LIKE GAMEPLAY.jpg) [iqdb]
29947
I need to keep this moving. I need to keep them active and engaged. They're still having some trouble with the roleplaying aspect, so maybe I should focus a bit more on the actual gameplay.

"'Well, if yeh're all sorted then,'" I start, "'Yeh might want to head out to the festivities now. Merchants've got their stalls set up, and there'll be plenty of games to be played, fun to be had.'"

"We're already playing a game!"

"Reimu," I can't catch a break with her! "In-character. The tavernkeeper is telling Riswynn to join the festival!" Reimu crosses her arms and huffs at me. This is why I'm trying to push them forward. She's not going to learn to roleplay any other way.

"Where is the festival?" I turn to look where the voice came from. It's Clownpiece. She's finally stopped staring at her sheet, and is looking up at me now.

"... 'If yeh head straight down the street from here, yeh'll reach the town sqaure. Goin' south from there takes yeh to the market, and out further to the fields. Tha's where the festivities are bein' held.'"

Clownpiece nods in response, "Okay, let's get going!"

"Alright..." I'm worried again, but for a different reason this time, "You head out towards the town square. The street grows steadily more crowded as you walk. At the center of the square is a stone statue of a woman. She is dressed in a long, flowing garment, decorated with foliage. In one hand, she holds a large hoe, the head resting against the ground. In her other hand, a sheaf of grain."

"A harvest goddess?" A nod in response to Reimu's guess. "Why do they need a statue? Don't they have a shrine?"

"Reimu," If it's not one thing, it's another... "This is a world that is very different from ours. Their way of paying homage to their gods is different from ours."

Again, Reimu huffs, "What kind of crazy game is this?"

"There's a market, right?" Clownpiece suddenly asks, "With shops and stuff?"

"Ah, yes," I can't believe that the fairy is understanding this faster than Reimu. "Several stalls line the street, the merchants behind them hawking their wares to anyone that passes by. One merchant calls out to Clow- ah, Miri. 'Pretty gems, for a pretty lady!'"

"Nice voicework." Sumireko remarks. Skeezy merchants aren't exactly my speciality, you know.

"Ooh, what sorta gems?" Well, Clownpiece has taken the bait, at least.

"The merchant gestures to the arrangement of jewelry laid out in front of him. 'The finest gemstones in all the lands. A lady like you would appreciate a fine necklace such as this:' He holds up the necklace in question, seven black stones set alongside one another. The chain is made of a golden metal. 'Expertly cut jet, set in exquisite gold. Normally this would be worth well over a hundred gold pieces, but for you, I can let it go for only 40!'"

"That's quite the deal he's cutting you there," Sumireko comments, "Almost too good."

"Yeah, it sounds really suspicious..." Kogasa adds.

This is a perfect opportunity, "Well, Kogasa- no, Lia." I need to get in the habit of using their character names. "If you wish, you may inspect the necklace. I'd like you to make a skill check, in that case."

"Oh, um, okay. How do I do that?"

"If you're going to physically examine the necklace, then you should make an Investigation check."

"Hey," Sumireko suddenly adds, "Maybe we can also figure if the merchant himself is lying?"

"That would be an Insight check."

"How do you even do these 'checks'!?"

"Reimu, calm down and let me explain." She's not even making the checks. I know for a fact that she's not suited for either of them. "Look at your character sheet, and look for the area labeled 'Skills'. There is a list of all the various skills you have, and how adept you are at each of them. Lia, what does it say for your Investigation?"

She doesn't immediately answer.

"Kogasa,"

"Oh, um. Investigation... Int? Plus 4? Prof? I don't know what any of that means..."

"Yeah, it's a bunch of nonsense!"

"The 'INT' next the skill means it's associated with your Intelligence attribute. The higher your Intelligence, the better your Investigation skill will be."

"Naturally, Reimu'd Investigation is really poor, then."

Reimu rounds on Sumireko, "Hey! I've solved many incidents with my investigation skills!"

"Intelligence... um, on this other part of my sheet, it says 'INT 14, +2'"

I nod at Kogasa, "Right. Your Intelligence score is 14, which means your Intelligence modifier is +2. Therefore, when you use a skill associated with Intelligence, you get a +2 to it."

"Oh, is that what the number next to the skill means?" I nod at her. "But, wait. It's not a +2. It's a +4."

"You also have Proficiency in Investigation, so you add an extra +2 to it. That's what the 'Prof' next to the skill means."

"It's not a flat +2 though, right?"

I turn to Sumireko, "No, it's your Proficiency bonus. Which is a +2 right now, though."

"Um, I have a couple skills here with an 'Exp' next to them...?"

"You have Expertise in those skills. That means you add twice your Proficiency bonus to those skills. So it's +4."

"What does any of this even mean for the game!?"

"Okay!" I slam my hands down on the table. The others jump slightly, except for Reimu. "Kogasa! Take the d20!"

"The what?"

"The twenty-sided die!"

She nervously looks over the table for the die in question. Sumireko quickly pushes it over to her, and she picks it up, staring back up at me.

"Roll the die!"

She does so. It clacks on the table a few times, before coming to a stop. Its face reads 16.

"Um-"

"Now add your Investigation skill to it!"

She quickly turns back down to her sheet, frantically looking over it. She's suddenly having difficulty finding her Investigation score.

"We've already established it's a +4!"

"It's a +4!"

"Add that to your roll!"

"My roll?"

"The 16 you rolled!"

"Ah- 20!"

"A 20 Investigation is a success! You ascertain that the jet in the necklace is not jet, but rather much less valuable obsidian! Furthermore, the chain itself isn't gold, but rather an extremely polished and oiled brass! The merchant is trying to swindle Miri!"

"How dare he!" Clownpiece slams a fist down on the table.

"Okay, everyone needs to calm the hell down," Mokou suddenly calls out.

[] A brief recess as I cool my head!
[] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!
>> No. 29948
[x] A brief recess as I cool my head!

Angry DM + newbie players = a bad time for everyone involved. Let's take a step back for a bit. Maybe answer some questions and establish some of the basics, rather than just handling everything as it comes up. Like the golden rule of the d20 System: if you do something that has a chance of failing, roll the d20, add relevant modifiers, and compare to a DC.
>> No. 29949
[X] A brief recess as I cool my head!

I'm glad this isn't dead.
>> No. 29950
[X]Recess

Posting from phone sucks. It's worth it if this is finally back.
>> No. 29951
[x] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!
FUCK IT LET'S GO DON'T LOSE THEM
>> No. 29952
[x] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!

LET'S GOOOOO
>> No. 29953
[x] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!

SHIT'S FINALLY HAPPENING
>> No. 29955
[x] A brief recess as I cool my head!
>> No. 29958
[X] A brief recess as I cool my head!

Yeah, don't wanna blow this.
>> No. 29959
[x] A brief recess as I cool my head!

Honestly I'm surprised half the fun of this is Sanae just getting pissed at everyone other than Sumireko being incompetent at DnD.
>> No. 29960
[X] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!

NO GOING BACK NOW!
>> No. 29963
[x] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!

[DND INTENSIFIES]
>> No. 29966
>>29947
[X] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!
>> No. 29967
[X] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!
>> No. 29968
[X] A brief recess as I cool my head!

Yeah, no thanks. I've been where Sanae is before, and it won't end well for anyone unless she takes some time to cool off first.
>> No. 29969
I am officially requesting a tiebreaker. Let's not kill my motivation again so quickly after I've regained it.
>> No. 29970
[X] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!
>> No. 29973
[X] A brief recess as I cool my head!
>> No. 29975
[X] A brief recess as I cool my head.
>> No. 29979
>>29947
[X] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!
Holy shit an update! Nice!
>> No. 29982
[X] We're getting into the game finally and I'm fired up!

Maybe the tie will stay broken this time.
>> No. 29986
Next time I call for a tiebreaker, the breaking vote immediately decides it, and all votes afterwards are null and void.

Update pending.
>> No. 30022
>>29986
Still awaiting that update
>> No. 30023
>>29986
Wouldn't it be better to just limit the tiebreaker to a small number of votes instead of the first vote?
>> No. 30024
File 149542746737.jpg - (1.73MB, 1680x2240, having fun maybe.jpg) [iqdb]
30024
Mokou's protests go unnoticed, "So, Lia! What will you do?"

"H-Huh?"

"Now that you know that the merchant is trying to scam Miri, how will you act? Will you reveal his scam then and there? Will you try and haggle him down to a more reasonable price? Will you imply that you know better? Will you threaten him, either overtly or subtly?"

"I-I think you're pressuring her a bit too much there..." Sumireko stammers.

"What would Lia Nightbreeze do here, Kogasa!"

"Lia..." Kogasa stalls for a moment, before clenching her fists in determination, "She'd haggle the price down, while implying she knew what it was really worth!"

"Make a Persuasion check!"

"Persuasion- that's... +4!" She quickly scans over her sheet, spotting the number as she picks up the die and rolls it. "9... ah, 13!"

Now it's my turn! I pick up the d20 behind my screen and give it a roll. It clacks on the table in front of me, its face showing-

Ah. That's a 3.

... I'm not entirely certain what I was even rolling for here. Well, whatever this merchant was trying, he failed.

"The merchant quickly realizes that Lia is onto him, and cautiously lowers his price down to 15 gold pieces!"

"Wow! That's a lot less!" Clownpiece chimes in.

"Cautiously? Is he still trying to overcharge her?" Kogasa asks.

"Does she even need to buy this necklace...?" Sumireko calls from somewhere far away.

"Make an Insight check!"

Kogasa scoops up the d20 again, looking at her sheet, "Insight's a... +3!" She rolls, "... Oh. 3... uh, 6?" She sheepishly offers.

Lucky for her, I'll use that 3 I rolled earlier for the merchant's Deception. "Lucky for you, the merchant is doing a poor job of hiding his intentions now that he's been found out. He lowers his price further to 5 gold pieces, claiming he can't possibly go lower!"

"Sold!" Clownpiece calls out, slamming her hand on the table.

"Mark down your payment of five gold pieces, and add the necklace to your inventory!"

Clownpiece struggles a bit- she can write, but not that well. Fortunately, Kogasa is willing to help her mark down the transaction.

"Was any of that necessary?" Sumireko suddenly asks.

"It was a good learning experience!"

"I'm not sure what I learned here." Reimu comments.

"You learned how skill checks work!" I insist, "You roll the dice, then you add the appropriate numbers! If your result is high enough, you succeed!"

"And how high is 'high enough'?"

"Whatever the DC is!"

"Dee-cee??"

"Difficulty Class! A measure of how difficult the task you're trying to accomplish is!"

"And what determines this 'Difficulty Class', exactly?"

"Me!"

"What."

"As the Dungeon Master, I decide how difficult it is to do anything!" Reimu gives me a flat stare. "But I am also a reasonable Dungeon Master! I won't inflate the difficulty of any tasks, just to be mean!"

"Wait, do we have to make a roll for everything, then?" Mokou suddenly asks.

"Nooo, only when there's something at stake. When there's a tangible consequence for failure! Had Lia failed her interactions with the merchant, Miri would be walking away with a lot less money!"

Kogasa and Clownpiece look pretty happy with how things have gone, but Reimu and Mokou don't seem all that convinced of anything.

"Let's keep going. Now that Lia and Miri have concluded their business with the shady merchant, what shall you do next?"

"I don't know, because you apparently decide everything!" Reimu says.

"Fine! I'll give you a choice! Up and down the street, various stalls have been set up. Among them you spot one merchant selling various figurines made of glass and crystal. Another stall has an aged Dwarf selling various herbs and spices. One enterprising man has set up an archery range, and another has a set up a strongman machine."

"A what-now?"

A- A ring-the-bell game. You know, you hit a lever with a mallet, and it sends a puck up a tower and rings the bell?"

"Oh yeah, we still got those," Sumireko suddenly cuts in, "At the local arcade. But they're all electronic, so you're not even launching an actual puck; just hitting a sensor and-"

"So, what, you just swing as hard as you can?" Reimu cuts her off.

"That's right," I confirm, "Do you want to try? The man working the machine calls you over."

"Fine, fine. So how does this even work? We don't actually have one of those..."

"You're just doing a skill check." I assure her, "First- well, first, you have to pay 5 copper pieces to play."

"Yeah, yeah..." Reimu grumbles as she marks the payment. I'm glad I didn't have to argue that.

"Okay, now all you have to do is make a Strength check!" Reimu gives me a look. "Pick up the twenty-sided die!"

She does so... once Kogasa points out to her which one has twenty sides.

"Now, roll it!"

She does so. The result comes up.... oh.

"Now... add your Strength modifier..."

"That's what?" Reimu looks over her sheet for it. Sumireko kindly points the number out to her. "Plus four, so... six total?"

"...Yeah. The puck goes up a fair bit, but doesn't even make it halfway to the bell. The man running the game offers a tiny statuette of a sparrow to Riswynn as consolation."

"Hey, wait, that's not fair!" Reimu suddenly shouts, "That was totally random! It's not my fault I rolled a two!"

"Your Strength mod increased your chances of success..."

"But I still rolled terribly! Because it's random! I'm supposed to be strong! ... Right?"

"You do have the largest Strength score of the party..."

"So then I'm the strongest! I should be able to do this no problem! Or is it rigged??"

"Do you want to try again? You're throwing such a fit the man will let you go again for free."

"Alright, let's do this!" Reimu grabs the die and rolls it again.

She rolls a 19.

Her Strength mod pushes that up to 23. "Riswynn, enraged by the apparently rigged game, takes another swing with the mallet. The puck shoots upwards into the bell, with enough force not only to make it ring, but also to smash it clear off the machine! The crowd around you is stunned for a moment, before breaking out into cheers!"

"That was still completely random, though! I only did that because I rolled a larger number!"

"Reimu, if you didn't have your Strength mod, you would have only rung the bell. Rolling high is important, yes, but your character's innate ability pushed it over the top." I look back down over my notes. "The owner of the stand is less than happy with the result, but you've definitely earned the crowd's respect."

Reimu still seems pretty unconvinced of the game's basic mechanics.

[] Let's keep milling around a bit. More skill checks to practice on.
[] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.
>> No. 30025
Fastest way to get me to write: shame me by bumping the thread.
>> No. 30026
[x] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.
>> No. 30027
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.

I doubt more skill checks will be necessary. They already understood the basics, let's introduce them other mechanics rather than stretch this out any longer.

Also, glad to have you back.
>> No. 30028
[x] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.
>> No. 30029
[x] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.

GET ON WITH IT.
>> No. 30030
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.

Finally, something the girls will be familiar with: Shamelessly spamming attack after attack in hopes that they will profit.
>> No. 30031
[x] Combat.

Fight!
>> No. 30032
[x] Combat

Let's distract then with combat because Reimu us actually right
>> No. 30033
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.

Fight!
>> No. 30034
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.

I got a sweet dexterity based skill check they can practice on, it's called initiative!

Also, this thread has over 200 exclamation marks. Just pointing that out.
>> No. 30035
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.

>>30034
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now it's got over 250.
>> No. 30036
>>30024
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.
Ooof nefarious people in the shadows need a spanking.
>> No. 30037
[X] Let's get to the main attraction of this session- and the combat.
>> No. 30038
File 149660808120.png - (585.90KB, 1720x1263, eh close enough.png) [iqdb]
30038
I need to keep this moving. Combat should definitely grab their attention, but with what I've statted up, I need a decent way to lead into it.

"So..." Sumireko starts, "There was an archery range, right?"

... You know what, I may as well just toss it at them. It's gonna be ham-handed. Whatever, they shouldn't realize. "As you inspect the range and the dwarf running it starts explaining the rules, there's a sudden shriek from not too far away!"

"What's going on?" Clownpiece asks. I've grabbed everyone's attention, even Mokou's, who seemed to be zoning out a bit.

"People are rushing past from further down the street. Guards run past them, heading to investigate the commotion. Some merchants have hastily gathered up their things and are fleeing the scene as well."

"Sounds serious." Sumireko remarks, "We should probably check this out."

"Yeah! I wanna see what's happening!" Clownpiece adds.

"Do we have to?" Reimu receives an elbow from Sumireko for her comment.

"You follow the guards towards the sounds of the commotion. At the end of the street is a band of goblins, them and their wolves raiding the local merchants!"

"Goblins?" Mokou asks.

"What's a goblin?" Kogasa follows.

"Those things at Remilia's mansion?" Reimu finishes.

I wasn't aware that the vampire had goblins working for her. Kinda makes sense. "Small, black-hearted and selfish humanoids. And very ugly."

"The ones at Remilia's were pretty ugly."

"So a goblin raiding party?" Sumireko asks, "How many?"

"Quite a bit, but the guards have preoccupied most of them. Still, there are two goblins, and two wolves currently unnoticed and freely pillaging the stalls."

"Can we fight them off??" Clownpiece asks.

"We're caravan guards, right? We can handle this!" Sumireko reassures her.

"So we're fighting then..." Mokou remarks.

"Okay!" I plant my hands down on the table, behind the screen. "Roll for initiative."

...

Sumireko shoots me a smirk. "How long have you been waiting to say that?"

"Each of you, make a Dexterity check!"

Kogasa, Sumireko, and amazingly, Clownpiece do so without hesitation. Reimu and Mokou trail behind, still needing a bit of help.

The results... Kogasa, with an 18 and her +4 DEX mod, is only going second because the wolves rolled a natural twenty. After that is a bunch of terrible rolls: Mokou rolled an 8, Clownpiece and the goblins rolled 4, which was bumped up to 6 with their mods. I'll let Clownpiece go before them, for her sake. Sumireko rolled a 5, but no DEX mod meant she goes after them.

Reimu rolled a 3.

"This is stupid!" She's naturally not happy about it. "Why are we even taking turns? You don't take turns in a fight!"

"Reimu do you have any idea how much of a mess this would be if everyone was acting at the same time?"

"So those are supposed to represent us?" Mokou asks as I set up miniatures on the grid.

"That's right. Each square represent 5 feet, so right now there's 15 feet between you and the raiding party." For everyone's sake, I put Reimu and Mokou in front, as they have the highest AC of the group. Clownpiece gets the back row, and Kogasa and Sumireko have the middle.

"Alright, now... The wolves are quick to notice your approach, and quickly pounce at Riswynn and Enna!" The rolls... oh, 16 and 17. And they have a +4 to hit. "Okay, Reimu, Mokou, what are your ACs?" I already know the results here, but I should make sure they know why they're getting hit.

"A-C?" Reimu glowers at me.

"Your Armor Class. That number determines how hard you are to hit: the higher it is, the higher I need to roll to do damage to you." Ignoring the fact that I rolled very high...

"And what determines my Armor Class?"

"Your armor. Now what's the number on the sheet?"

Sumireko helps both of them find the number. They both have 18. That's... definitely below these attack rolls. A couple more rolls, and... "They both vigorously bite down hard on the two of you, fangs piercing through your armor. Riswynn takes 7 damage, Enna takes 5."

"What!"

Hm... this is already off to a rough start, and the wolves technically aren't even done. Reimu and Mokou are supposed to make a DC 11 Strength check to not be knocked prone, but... I may have made a mistake in encounter difficulty already.

... Another thing that occurs to me is Clownpiece. She's reliant on her Mage Armor spell to protect herself, but she obviously doesn't know to cast it. And casting it now would use up her action. I could allow her to retroactively cast it before the fight, and I could just ignore her completely...

[] Reimu and Mokou...
-[] Go easy on them for now.
-[] We're going by-the-book here.
[] Clownpiece...
-[] Let her retroactively cast Mage Armor.
-[] I don't have to attack her at all, right?
-[] She suffers.

Boy, actually rolling dice for this sure is making things fun.
>> No. 30039
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] Let her retroactively cast Mage Armor.
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all anyway, right?
>> No. 30040
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

That moment when you realize that you've vastly overstimated their skills.

>"This is stupid!" She's naturally not happy about it. "Why are we even taking turns? You don't take turns in a fight!"

What about Danmaku?
>> No. 30041
[X] Reimu and Mokou...
-[X] Go easy on them for now.
[X] Clownpiece...
-[X] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

A good GM bends the rules. D&D isn't a game you play to win. A good GM should balance the game around the players to give them the best experience they can get. To tell the best story that can be told.

If a GM just tries to make something overly hard or make a player suffer, well then there's not much fun in that. I'm fine with letting Clownpiece cast it retroactively, but there's no reason she should be punished for not doing something she never knew to do in the first place.
>> No. 30042
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

Reimu and Mokou are having the most trouble with the game, so we shouldn't frustrate them too much. At least in the beginning. Everybody gets one.

I'm actually fine with fucking over Clownpiece but unlike the above two chucklefucks in the vote, she's actually putting forth effort and trying to learn here. I say we still don't let her cast retroactively but let her know she has to cast that ahead of time in the future. Make her nervous about the goblins but don't actually have them attack her.
>> No. 30043
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?
>> No. 30044
This is also a good way to show them that enemies don't necessarily battle in an optimal fashion. Per example, since they've yet to see clownpiece cast, they might think of her as harmless and ignore her over the seemingly more threatening enemies.

Also, Reimu needs to understand that the d20 represents the flow of combat. Just because you're​ better than someone, that doesn't mean you're going to hit them 100% of the time.
>> No. 30045
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

>>30041
>>30042
Amen to that. Let them have fun, that's what really matters. We can spice things up along the way, once they understand how the game works.
>> No. 30046
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

> Boy, actually rolling dice for this sure is making things fun.

No more Fun than a sturdy creature fond of drink and industry such as yourself can handle, surely.
>> No. 30047
[X] Reimu and Mokou...
-[X] Go easy on them for now.

[X] Clownpiece...
-[X] I don't have to attack her at all, right?
>> No. 30048
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

I'm pretty sure there will never be a second session with this group if they get their asses handed to them by the first encounter.
>> No. 30049
>>30048
Eh, who cares? There's plenty of characters to play with (excluding certain drunkards, poisonous dolls, wicked hermits and pathological liars)
>> No. 30050
>>30049
It make sense to end the story if Sanae fails her debut and gets depressed. There has to be SOME risk, at least.
>> No. 30051
[X] Reimu and Mokou...
-[X] Go easy on them for now.

[X] Clownpiece...
-[X] I don't have to attack her at all, right?

I would try and make some nice advice about how GM's are supposed to fudge things just a bit to make things more fun for the players but everyone else already pretty much said what i would have.
>> No. 30100
[x] Reimu and Mokou...
-[x] Go easy on them for now.
[x] Clownpiece...
-[x] I don't have to attack her at all, right?
>> No. 30102
>>30032

She isn't right though. Keep in mind that the dice roll represent a simplified abstraction of multiple factors. Rolling a 6 doesent mean she hit the target with 6 strength worth of force. It means the off-center hit combined with poor leverage and weight distribution resulted in a net total force equal to 6 strength being applied to the target.

That's just an example, mind you. You can spin the prose any way you want.
>> No. 30103
File 150584632327.png - (515.54KB, 625x1000, taking to it quickly.png) [iqdb]
30103
This isn't even a question for me. It's everyone's first time here; I should take it easy for now. As for Clownpiece... I can leave her be for now. I can tell her about Mage Armor once the battle is over.

"Okay, Reimu, Mokou, you need to mark down the damage you've taken. You see the part of your sheet that says 'Hit Points'?" They both take a moment to find it. "That's a measure of how hurt you are. If it drops to 0 or lower, you're out of the fight."

"I assume they're not dead if they drop below 0, right?" Sumireko asks.

"No, but they'll need to start making saves... I'll explain it if it actually happens." Hopefully it won't. "It's now Lia's turn," I turn to face Kogasa, "So! You have a few options here now, the most obvious being to attack an enemy."

"Right! ...How do I do that?"

"It's a lot like a skill check,"

"What, more dice??"

"First, look through your sheet and find your weapons." I ignore Reimu's outburst completely. "You have to decide what you're attacking with, first!"

"Hum..." It takes Kogasa a moment to find the right area of her sheet. "'Rapier', 'Dagger', and 'Shortbow'."

"Right. For this first fight, I'm going to recommend you use your shortbow. You'll be able to attack from a safe distance with it."

"Okay! So, what do I roll exactly?"

"Again, it's like a skill roll. Only instead of a skill modifier, you're adding the number in the 'To Hit' column."

"That's +6... there's a column next to it labeled 'Damage'..."

"That's exactly what you think it is. If you roll high enough to hit the enemy, you then roll the damage."

"Okay! Um... I should probably attack one of the wolves bothering Reimu and Mokou, or should I..."

"Hey, she's a Rogue, right?" Sumireko interrupts us, "Doesn't she have some kinda Backstab ability or something?"

"Sneak Attack, but yes, actually." Kogasa was about to roll the die, but she's stopped and is looking back up at me again. "Look further down in your sheet, under 'Feats'. There should be one called 'Sneak Attack' in there."

"Uh... oh! Here it is!" She takes a moment to read it quietly to herself. "Uh... what does 'advantage on the attack roll' mean...?"

"That's... certain abilities and stuff can give you 'Advantage' on a roll which increases your chance of success. But that's not important right now, because you should have an another way of getting a Sneak Attack."

"Uh... oh! 'You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it,'"

"There you go! If you attack one of the wolves, you can get your extra Sneak Attack damage, since they're next to enemies, that is, your allies!"

"Okay! I'm gonna sneak attack... the one that attacked Mokou!"

Finally. That took a while, "Make your roll!"

She picks up the d20 and gives it a good shake before rolling. "15... so 21!"

"That's easily a hit. Now roll your shortbow's damage, and the extra Sneak Attack damage."

More dice are rolled, after Sumireko helpfully offers the d6's. "4 and 5... so 9 total!"

"Don't forget that your weapon has a bonus as well."

"Oh, another 4, so 13!"

Hmm... the wolves actually have a fair bit more HP than the goblins, just enough to survive that. Eh... in the interest of going easy on them, I'll quietly halve it. "With a graceful flourish, Lia fires at the wolf, the arrow moving too swiftly for it to react in time. It is slain in a single shot."

"S-Slain!?" Whoops, Kogasa is suddenly a bit freaked.

"Laying it on a bit thick there, DM." Sumireko continues to sass me.

"Ahem. It is now Enna's turn." A brief pause. "Mokou, that's you."

"Hm. So the wolf that attacked me is now dead?"

"Ah, yes," I confirm, as I remove its token from the field.

"...Why are my weapons listed twice here? With different damages?" She suddenly asks.

I look over at her sheet to confirm, as does Sumireko, "Oh, you have versatile weapons," I begin, "That means you can either wield them in one hand with a shield in your other, or wield the weapon with both hands instead." I gesture at the damage column, "The larger damage comes from wielding it with both hands."

"...I'll attack the other wolf with my warhammer, with both hands, then."

"Uh..." That's a bit unexpected, "You'll have to go without your shield, then. It'll be easier for you to get hit."

"That's fine." That response was almost automatic, compared to everything else she's said today.

"...Roll to hit, then."

The die clacks on the table. Another 15, for a total of 18. I confirm that it's a hit, and she rolls damage.

She rolls a 2, for a total of 3, with her Strength modifier.

"Enna swings with all of her might, but her aim is just a tad bit off. She lands a glancing blow."

Mokou... I can't really gauge her reaction. I'd assume disappointment, but she has the same blank, vaguely disinterested look she's had all session.

"And that takes us to Miri..."

"Ray of Frost! Fwoo!" I turn to look only to find her having already decided. At least it's a cantrip. "Take that, stupid wolf!"

"Okay... so, you have to make a spell attack roll-"

I'm interrupted by the sound of the die clacking. "12!"

"...Okay, but there's a modifier. It should be at the bottom of your spell list."

"...+5! That's..."

"...17." I offer.

"17!"

"That hits. Roll damage." I respond automatically. I'm about to explain where to find that damage when Clownpiece rolls another die.

"6 damage!"

"Uh," I look down over my notes, "...Miri's enthusiastic display freezes the wolf cold. It is defeated."

"Yeah!"

"Alright, now the goblins get to act-"

"When do I get to attack something!?" Reimu suddenly yells.

"You rolled the lowest on initiative, so you act last." I try to keep my voice even.

"We're just rolling dice! This is all luck-based!"

Without thinking much, I roll a die behind my screen. 12... the goblins have a +4 to hit, which brings it to 16... just shy of Reimu's AC. "One of the goblins attempts to take advantage of Riswynn's inaction, but she is able to deflect his incoming strike."

A pause.

"Riswynn is you, Reimu."

"Oh!"

I roll again. A 2... that hits nobody. Except Clownpiece, but I've already decided to leave her alone. "The other goblin attempts to follow up, but he trips over himself before he can make it to Riswynn." I turn to Sumireko, "Your turn."

"Uh," Sumireko awkwardly glances around as Reimu quietly fumes. "Uh, I guess I'll use Poison Spray on one of the goblins. They have to make a Constitution save."

"Alright, tell me the DC. You know where to find it?"

"Yeah, it's 14."

Unfortunately, my die comes up 17, before any modifiers. "The goblin is able to steel himself and resist to noxious gas."

Sumireko quietly shrugs, as I turn to face Reimu now.

"Is it my turn finally?"

"Yes. What will you do?"

"I'm going to attack!" She punctuates this statement by dramatically rolling the die.

It comes up 7.

"...What's your To-Hit again?"

"My what now?"

"...Reimu were you at all paying attention."

Sumireko helpfully looks over Reimu's sheet for me, "It's +6. Assuming she's using her battleaxe."

So 13... the goblins have an AC of 15. ...I'm feeling so bad for her now. I'm just gonna give this one to her; it's not an awful roll, at least. "You hit. Roll damage."

"Uh, that's..."

Sumireko points out the numbers, and Reimu rolls it. 12 damage total. Very dead.

"In a moment of rage, Riswynn swings her axe around, cleaving one of the goblins in half."

Reimu sits back down and huffs. She doesn't seem wholly satisfied. Given that she's upset with the fundamental mechanics of the game, I'm not sure what will satisfy her.

"Alright... with the wolves dead, that brings us back to Lia." I turn to Kogasa, "There's only one goblin left. What will you do?"

"O-Oh, um," She's a little shaken by Reimu's outburst. I don't blame her. "I guess I'll shoot an arrow at him."

"He's standing next to Riswynn, so you can get your Sneak Attack damage again." I note.

"Okay!" Kogasa rolls the die once more, and gets a 17. Confirming the hit, she proceeds to roll a grand total of 12 damage, killing the goblin.

"With the final enemy slain, you are given a momentary respite. The town guards have likewise repelled the rest of the raiding party. The surviving goblins can be seen fleeing out towards a forest, a short ways to the west of town."

"Are these raids common? Uh, I ask one of the guards." Sumireko is quick to pull things back to roleplaying after the battle. Reimu is still quietly fuming.

"The guard tells you that this is the first time such a raid has occurred. He expresses concern that goblins may have recently established a camp of some sorts in the forest."

"Something needs to be done, then!" Sumireko responds, "We're willing to root out those goblins before they become a problem!"

"The guard thanks you for your offer. They'll be staying in the village, in case the goblins return."

"Okay, so..." Kogasa starts, "How are we going to find the goblins? They're hiding in the forest, right?"

"Hey," Mokou interrupts, "I got hurt during that fight, and so did Reimu. Is it possible for us to tend to that, or are we stuck with it?"

Oh, I had completely forgotten. "While you have various spells and items that can heal you instantly, you can also recover some health by taking a short rest."

"Hm. How does that work? We just 'rest', and then we're fine again?"

"Ah, no. You roll your Hit Dice, and add your Constitution modifier to the roll. That determines how much health you recover."

"'Hit Dice'?? Like rolling to hit something again? And 'short rest'? What makes it short, anyway??" Oh, there's Reimu again.

"No, your Hit Dice... sort of measures how well you can recover from injury. You spend it during a short rest to heal, and you recover it during a long rest."

"And there's a 'long rest' too? What's the difference??"

"Presumably it's longer than the short rest." Very funny, Sumireko.

Though that does raise a small point. A short rest is normally one hour long, and a long rest is eight. But I recall there being an variant rule on that in the Dungeon Master's Guide: a short rest is only 5 minutes, while a long rest is an hour. I could use that variant rule to speed up the game, since everyone would be able to use their abilities more often, and make combat more routine. ...Though it occurs to me that only Kogasa really used her feat, and that was her basic Sneak Attack. Still...

[] Normal Speed: 1 hour short rest, 8 hour long rest
[] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest
>> No. 30104
[x] Normal Speed: 1 hour short rest, 8 hour long rest

Combat should be something special.
>> No. 30105
Sulac updated! Christmas has come early!

[x] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest.

Gensoukyou's idea of "normal" is not quite the same as ours.
>> No. 30106
[x] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest.

As stated before, I think Gensokyo's residents would be a little miffed at having to wait such a long time just to get into the action again, considering how much of a gauntlet incidents are.
>> No. 30107
[X] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest

Personally, I would dislike this system if a GM mandated it. However, I think Gensokyo dudes would like it.

Also...

>5 min short rest
>Warlocks get their spells back in short rest
>Can cast Unseen Servant, which last an hour with no concentration

Excuse me while I summon my ghost army before we descend into this Goblin lair.
>> No. 30108
[x] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest.
>> No. 30109
[X] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest
>> No. 30110
>>30103
[x] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest.

Time for some fast action!
>> No. 30111
[X] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest

I don't think they'll have the patience for normal speed.
>> No. 30112
[x] Epic Heroism: 5 minute short rest, 1 hour long rest
>> No. 30113
[X] Normal Speed: 1 hour short rest, 8 hour long rest
>> No. 30148
> Consider that a rule for me: if you think I'm taking too long, bump the thread and yell at me. I'm almost certain to listen.

HAVE A BUMP, AND HAVE SOME YELLING, 'CAUSE FUCKIN' GENJI WRITES FASTER THAN YOU DO PAL
>> No. 30156
File 150985326777.jpg - (324.59KB, 850x1102, expert tracker.jpg) [iqdb]
30156
There's one thing I've learned about Gensokyo since coming here, it's that fighting is a way of life here. Well, it's danmaku duels, but fights are still fights. And it'd probably be best to keep the fights going.

"A short rest is only a few minutes long, to catch your breath and steady yourselves," I explain. "A long rest, meanwhile, is an hour or two of recuperation and light activity."

"What, so we have to sit here for hours??"

"The characters, Reimu. We don't sit still, we can just skip past all that and say they've rested!"

"So how does this work, again?" Mokou interrupts.

"Right, right... first, find where it says 'Hit Dice' on your character sheet."

"Hrm..." Mokou spends a moment searching. "...Here, '1d8'?"

"Right, so that means you roll the eight-sided die." Mokou looks over the table for the die in question. Sumireko is kind enough to help her find it. "Right, so give that a roll."

Mokou does so. "...Six."

"And add your Constitution modifier."

She spends another moment looking for her attributes again, "...That's the 14?"

"No, the +2 under it," Sumireko corrects her, "So you heal 8 HP."

"Ah." And with that, Mokou marks down her healing. Alright then-

"Uh, I don't think you heal over your max HP like that."

I look back over at Mokou. "I don't go up to 13?"

"No, I think your max is 10, right?" Sumireko looks to me, asking for confirmation.

I lean over to get a look at Mokou's sheet. "Yeah, 10's your maximum. You can't go above it, so you just heal up to it. You have 10 HP, now." Mokou starts marking down her HP again, when I suddenly remember one last thing, "And remember to write off your Hit Die for now, since you've used it. You'll get it back later."

Mokou 'hms' as she keeps marking her sheet. As she does, I turn to Reimu now.

"...What?"

"Do you want to spend a Hit Die to heal as well?"

"No. Seems like a hassle."

...Well, fair enough.

"Alright, so," Sumireko starts, "I wanna try and track where the goblins came from. The guard said there's a forest nearby where they might have set up in, right?"

"That's right. Since you're still at the village and not out in the wilderness just yet, I want you to make an Investigation check to first get a sense of which direction they approached from."

"Alright, let's see..." Sumireko picks up the d20, looking over her sheet for her skill modifier. She gives the die a roll... "18! Well, 19. I only have a +1 to Investigation."

"That's plenty. The goblins didn't make much of an effort to hide their approach. Egom is able to quickly trace their path back to the forest entrance. But she can only get to the edge of the forest on Investigation alone. Make a Survival check now to see if you can track them within the forest itself."

Sumireko grabs the d20 once again, double-checking her sheet. I spot Reimu quietly mouth 'Survival?' under her breath. This check will be a bit harder, of course, what with-

"16! Plus 6 makes 22!"

...Nevermind then. "That easily passes. The goblins weren't particularly subtle inside the forest either, it seems. Egom traces their movements easily, following up a brook leading to a hill. There, the party finds a cave in the side of the hill, covered by a wooden door built into it."

Sumireko grins, "Easy peasy."

"So that's it then?" Reimu cuts in, "They're hiding in the cave?"

"So it appears. Will you be going in?"

"This seems kinda dangerous," Kogasa suddenly says. "Do we know how many there are?"

"Does it matter?" Clownpiece asks, "However many there are, we'll beat them all up!"

"Right!" Reimu calls out, "I'm going in!"

"You're opening the door?" I clarify.

"Isn't that what I just said?"

"Alright then." I roll a die. ...It comes up 19. "What was your AC again?"

Reimu stares at me, a bit dumbfounded. Kogasa and Clownpiece also look confused. Sumireko quickly realizes where this is going. Well, not like Reimu's answer is needed.

"As Riswynn opens the door and steps in, a dart trap is triggered, firing at her." I roll another die, "Riswynn takes 3 damage."

"What!"

Sumireko claps her hands once, silently laughing. Clownpiece laughs much more audibly, "Haha! You walked into a trap!"

"I-I didn't know it was there!"

"You didn't check for it," I counter, "3 damage."

Reimu grumbles under her breath, as Sumireko helps her write down the damage...

[] Offer Reimu the opportunity to heal here
[] She made her bed

>>30148
SHAME ACCEPTED
>> No. 30157
Sweet Shinki that was fast.

[x] She made her bed

Burned hand teaches best.
>> No. 30158
[x] She made her bed

brb entering cryostasis pod for a couple of years, gonna be just in time to vote for the next update, don't worry
>> No. 30159
[x] She made her bed

Reimu. You took seven damage in the last fight, and now another three. You really ought to have healed, you ninny.
>> No. 30161
[X] Offer Raymoo the chance to heal.

Gunna keep the training wheels on till she starts catching on or stops acting like an eight year old. Whichever comes first.
>> No. 30162
[X] She made her bed

Reimu's irl intuition will pick up what she needs to do soon enough.
>> No. 30163
[X] Offer Raymoo the chance to heal.
>> No. 30165
[x] She made her bed.

Now she gets to lie in it.
>> No. 30169
[x] She made her bed

We asked her if she wanted to heal, she said no, now she's paying for it.
>> No. 30205
[x] She made her bed

Speaking from experience, there comes a time where you cut your losses and kick someone out. Reimu is clearly not very interested in learning the mechanics, so let her suffer the consequences - either she figures shit out or she leaves, win-win.
>> No. 30208
[x] She made her bed.
-[x] Offer Moukou the chance to heal her.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Desktop Page]