[Return] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
 (Deletion Password)
 (Reply to 196302)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM, WEBP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog
Show or hide post box

 ►
Hide Thread
Watch Thread
Expand All Images
File 149456903836.jpg - (252.97KB, 850x1020, Underground.jpg) [iqdb]
196302
With nothing to deter you, your small group actually manages to reach the end of the village rather quickly.

“Well, it's been a pleasure,” Kagerou says, sounding somewhat hurried. “I’ll visit you guys later so—ACK!”

You feel your arm being jerked as Sekibanki lunges and presumably catches Kagerou in a grip. For what reason you don’t know.

“Oh, no you don't,” she calmly seeths. “I’m sure Koishi is just dying to see you as much as she is for me.”

“Aww…”

You turn to Sekibanki’s voice and raise an eyebrow.

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

Fair enough.

With that, you all begin the trek towards the entrance to the underground. Apparently it’s just some cave that happens to already be lived-in. How it's inhabitants deal with the fact that they apparently live in the entrance to an underground city, you have no idea. It’ll be a long walk, though, as Keine told you during your uneventful walk through the village.

“Don’t mind Yamame too much if she acts strangely to you,” Keine advises. “She’s only messing around.”

You shrug.

“So I’ve been meaning to ask. Should I be worried about the Oni?”

“Can you hold your alcohol?” Sekibanki asks.

“Memory loss.”

“Then no. You’ll probably be too drunk to remember it then.”

You will be thoroughly disappointed if any of the girls are surprised that you don't find the statement to be very reassuring.

“Are they really that bad?”

“Bad, no. Prone to going overboard? Yes,” Sekibanki replies. “Kagerou, you remember Yuugi, right?”

“Oh, Gods. Don’t remind me,” she whimpers.

You feel a bit of tugging on your wrist. It’s very weak and doesn’t really feel as though Sekibanki is doing it on purpose, which tells you that Kagerou’s been trying to escape her grip. You find it strange, though. She was just fine earlier.

“Should I be concerned?”

“No, no, it’s fine,” Kagerou assures you, seemingly giving up on her escape attempts. “It’s just that Yuugi—and by extension all the Oni out there—really go overboard when they’ve been drinking. Doesn’t help that they’re some of the physically strongest youkai still in existence”

You note the saddened tone she has when she says “still in existence”.

“How often do they drink?” The ground beneath your feet changes from the well-worn feel of the village to a more loose path.

“Let me put it this way. You remember how everyone needs to drink water to survive?”

You nod.

“Water might as well not exist for them.”

Ah, how charming. You can already feel the pain your sensitive nose will go through unless the alcohol numbs it.

“So are they the dumb brand of alcoholic or the violent brand?”

“They’re the Oni brand.”

You shoot a questioning look to Kagerou but she does not elaborate further. She either did not notice or leaves it for you to find out later.

“Just what I need. A drunk youkai punching me in the face.”

“Don’t worry,” Kagerou assures you, “They always ask nicely before they do so.”

“And that’s supposed to make me feel better?”

Kagerou’s only reply is a soft round of chuckles.

“Actually, I remembered something Yuugi mentioned last time we were there,” Sekibanki mumbles. “Kagerou, remember how Yuugi was talking about the few times she’s ever been beaten in a fight?”

“A bit. Why?”

“Didn’t she say that one of them was a member of the Todoza?”

“...Oh.”

You feel Sekibanki stop and the sounds of Kagerou’s footsteps cease. Keine’s continues for a little longer before those stop too.

Call it a guess but it feels like Sekibanki and Kagerou are staring at you.

“...something wrong?” you ask.

“No!”

The fact that they both hurriedly replied at the same time worries you, but you all continue walking regardless.

Sekibanki is still holding your hand and the ground beneath your feet is still the same loose path you’ve been on since you left the village.

To describe how you’re feeling would be difficult. There’s a but of anxiety and paranoia mixed-in simply because of what’s already happened to you during the past two days, but at the same time you’re curious. Maybe it’s a side-effect of the amnesia?

Regardless, memories are important and hopefully this Satori person can help you. Hell, maybe she can tell you how you were blinded in the first place?

Then there’s another feeling you can’t quite describe. A certain lightness. Do you feel lucky? You don’t know yet.

Then, there’s the ever-present feeling of wanting to speak, to pass the time or something. It’s been nice talking to Kagerou thus far but you chide yourself for nearly forgetting that Keine and Sekibanki are there as well (hell, the latter is the one who’s holding your hand and guiding you). Maybe you should speak to them? Then again, your dialogue with Kagerou has mostly been her explaining things to you.

Now that you think about it, you’ve only really had something you guess can be called ‘bonding moments’ with Sekibanki. Keine’s your host, for crying out loud, and you still barely know her other than her apparent ‘condition’, a type that she shares with Kagerou. You resolve to speak to them more.

You also can’t help but wonder why Sekibanki had to restrain Kagerou and why she was so eager to leave earlier.

Speaking of which, can Kagerou even fly? Maybe. Keine and Sekibanki mentioned that flight is a regular thing here. Maybe you should ask about that?

Well, you’re not too far from the village yet…

[] Talk to your companions (Specify who)
- “Any chance of me learning how to fly?”
- Ask more about the underground
[] Satori
[] You remember them mentioning a ‘Nuclear Hell Raven?’
[] Write-In
- Obligatory Write-in (Maybe try to get to know them more?)

[] Nah, let’s just enjoy a quiet trip (Skip to the Entrance)
Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone who's been following this CYOA of mine even if it's not that good. Since this is my first time doing this the fact that We're at thread 2 now really means a lot to me.

Again, thanks to everyone who's participating. I'll be sure to try to improve things as we go along!

...I really have to enter something in that name field one day.

[X] You remember them mentioning a ‘Nuclear Hell Raven?’

Not sure if this option has to be directed at someone, but I'm sure anyone in the same situation would be curious.

Also, you're doing a good job writefag. Your writing's curt at times, but you've placed an interesting restriction on yourself, and what is there is filled with enough character to keep the reader going. You could do with some better defined choices in my opinion, though.
>>196305
Thank you for you support! I'll be sure to take note.

Actually, speaking of the choices, I should probably clarify about the choices for this update. Forgot to check how it would turn out after I copy-paste so it looks a bit confusing. Should look like this:

[] Talk to your companions (Specify who to to talk to)
- “Any chance of me learning how to fly?”
- Ask more about the underground
() Satori
() You remember them mentioning a ‘Nuclear Hell Raven?’
() Write-In
-Write-in (You can try asking more about herself)

[] Nah, let’s just enjoy a quiet trip (Skip to the Entrance)

Admmitedly I don't know if it'll turn out right when I post it since using the small message box gets rather confusing...
[x] Satori

> Admmitedly I don't know if it'll turn out right when I post it since using the small message box gets rather confusing...

Should be able to resize it by grabbing the lower-right corner... or am I misinterpreting what you're talking about?

Anyway, congrats on reaching thread 2. Writing's good, but feels a bit... unfocused at times. Just needs a bit more spit, polish and proofing. Like most of us newbies.
[X] You remember them mentioning a ‘Nuclear Hell Raven?’
[X]Soo, Seki and Kagerou, how did you two meet each other?
[X] What's Todoza?


I mean, a quick googling gave me the answer, but Wash might be interested in knowing about that todoza thing, being amnesiac and all.
(Was it Zatoichi that bested Yuugi?)

If only one option is allowed, the count the first one.
>>196309
> Should be able to resize it by grabbing the lower-right corner... or am I misinterpreting what you're talking about?

That helped a lot, actually. Thank you.

I wish I knew about it earlier...
[x] To Seki "mean bean, sex machine" Banki:
-[X] You remember them mentioning a ‘Nuclear Hell Raven?’
-[X]So, you and Kagerou. How did you two lovely ladies met each other?
[X] What's Todoza?

It'd be funny if our first competent MC in two years is a blind guy.
>>196312
So who was the last competent MC?
[X] Satori
[X] What's Todoza?
“Todoza?” you ask.

“Blind man’s guild. Way before my time,” Sekibank replies. “Then again, most of the older youkai here are…”

They had a guild? For blind people?!



Huh… So people really do care.

“Can I—”

“I see that hopeful look on your face, Wash, and no. They disbanded years ago.”

“Dammit.” Way to shoot down a blind man’s hopes, Sekibanki.

“Still, remind me to talk to Yuugi before I introduce you two…” She trails off and doesn’t speak any further.

So, whoever Yuugi is, she has something against the blind man’s guild. Something about being beaten in a fight by one?

“Should I be worried?”

“N-No, no, that was a one-time thing. Nothing to worry about. Nope.” You can tell that Sekibanki’s trying to reassure you and you really appreciate that, you do. Her delivery, though? Not very reassuring.

Looks like there’s more trouble down the line later. Yay.

Well, the Oni (as much as you’ve heard) don’t really concern you much. Sekibanki and Kagerou seem to know them, so as much as it wounds your pride to do so, you’ll just have to rely on (or hind behind) them if things get messy.

The other one, though...

“So Sekibanki… you mentioned something about a ‘Nuclear-Powered Hell Raven?”

“Who, Okuu? What about her?”

Don't be so surprised… remember that this is all normal for her…

“Should I be worried, or something?” you ask.

“...not really. She may be a living nuclear reactor, but Okuu herself is pretty harmless.”

You can hear Kagerou muttering something.

“If you can call her idea of a bombed and irradiated surface plan harmless,” she silently adds.

Again, you have to remind yourself that this is most likely normal for these girls. You do not, for the life of you, know what being ‘irradiated’ is like but bombs strike a chord with you.

Suddenly, despite Sekibanki’s casual dismissal of the potential danger in this ‘Okuu’ person, you feel the smallest feeling that maybe you would’ve been safer going somewhere else. After all, a vampire is something you can run from and reason with. An explosion? Not so much.

“And this ‘Okuu’ is someone’s pet?”

“Satori’s pet,” says Sekibanki. “Don’t worry your pretty little head about it, Wash. She may be a dumb, nuclear-powered hell raven but she’s friendly.”

“I wouldn’t call her plan to raze the surface to the ground ‘friendly’, Sekibanki,” Keine adds.

“Hell, I don’t even know what ‘Nuclear’ means,” you say. “It’s the Hell Raven part that has me concerned. What does nuclear mean?”

“Well…” Sekibanki trails off. “It's… it's kinda like… uh…”





“...help me out here Keine?”

The wowe-hakutaku to your side sighs.

“It’s like never-ending generation of energy,” she says slowly. “It’s the same thing that happens inside the sun, which makes sense if you think about whose power Ms. Reiuji harnesses”

It’s not hard to imagine what sort of potential that ability has. You’ve been on the receiving end of a Danmaku attack just yesterday and hated every part of it. You imagine something like that, except with miniature suns as of projectiles and that fact that the barrage will never end.

The ground beneath your feet has changed. It feels harder now.

“Does everyone in Gensokyo have a ridiculously powerful ability like this?” you ask.

“For you, Wash, when someone goes around bombing a bunch of buildings, it’d be called a disaster,” Sekibanki says. “Us? We call it Sunday.”

“I shudder at the thought of what the rest of your week is like.”

Sekibanki quietly laughs at this.

“Well, it’s true. Kagerou, remember when Koishi thought it’d be fun to snuff out all the candles and lights underground?”

“Seki, I barely remember what Koishi looks like, let alone what she does on her whims. I do remember the blackout though, just not that Koishi was apparently behind it.”

“Right… Anyway, remember how it was all dark and all? Then Okuu did that thing?”

“Hmm?” you hum.

Kagerou sighs. “Okuu has a cannon-thing on her arm where she can gather enough energy to use it as a sword. She uses it as a flash—torch. She uses a blade made of massive amounts of nuclear energy as a torch.”

Now, you may not remember much of who you are or what it was like for you in the outside world, but of the few things you are sure of, you can now add to the list that you wouldn’t use an unlimited source of energy for something as mundane as lighting up a dark hallway, especially when they light is because the energy is being fed into a sword.

“I’m not gonna lie. I have no idea how I should be feeling right now.”

“We don’t blame you. Just take our word for it, the Underground isn’t as bad as it sounds. Seki and I should know.”

“Well, if you say so.”

Sekibanki snorts. “Of course! That’s where I met Kagerou, after all.”

You raise an eyebrow to that. “Really now?”

“Yep. Knew Koishi beforehand, who knew and introduced me to Kagerou and Waggysaggy.”





“Waggywhatnow?”

“Wakasagihime.” Wow. Kagerou’s been sighing a lot today. “She’s our other friend who lives in the lake.”

“We’ll introduce you and Keine to her one of these days.”

“I’m surprised that you remembered I was here, Sekibanki,” Keine says.

“Keine, you wound me. How could I ever forget you?”

Oh, boy. Sounds like there’s a story there.

“I see that look on your face, Wash. I can assure you that my meeting with Sekibanki wasn’t nearly as intimate as you think.”

...that’s not what you were thinking, but hey. Something to ask about.

“You’re being awfully specific about your denial, Keine.”

Her footsteps cease, so you and the other two pause as well.

“As a teacher, I only wish to correct any misunderstandings about my history.”

Keine says this in a tone that reminds you of a rose (or what you remember of a rose). While it smells nice and has soft petals (You wouldn’t do something as creepy as smelling Keine but can vouch for the ‘soft’ part), going too deep will promise you much pain on account of the thorns. It’s not too hard to imagine the accompanying false smile.

If Sekibanki’s ‘description’ of her were-beast is to believed, being pierced by Keine will do much more than a prick from a Rose thorn, which is enough to make you reconsider pursuing this line of questioning. This is not taking to account your vivid memory of the resounding ‘CRACK’ that came from Sekibanki’s head being separated from her body when she pushed Keine too far and your desire to NOT be involved in such an incident.

Having walked for nearly an hour straight by that point and wanting to relax after provoking Keine, you all unanimously decide to take this opportunity to sit down at the side of the path and rest for a bit.

It is during this rest break that you go through your usual ritual of getting a feel of whatever you can from the surroundings, but the truth is that nothing much stand out at all. There’s no scent of scent of trees or shrubbery, at least not to the extent of the scent in any of the forests, and the ground below is still the same loose dirt. There’s grass to the side of the path and that’s about as much as you’re going to feel. The rustling of leaves can still be heard, but it’s faint.

Well, there are a few things that stand out to you, actually…

[] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!

[] The wind’s picked up. Something flutters down unto the back of your hand. Feels like a feather.

[] Whispers. Incomprehensible but there, drifting on the air. They seem to be in good spirits, despite the eery tone.
[X] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!

Oh boy, time for some REAL terror.
[X] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!

This can only go so wrong it overflows and goes perfectly right.
[X] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!
[X] Whispers. Incomprehensible but there, drifting on the air. They seem to be in good spirits, despite the eery tone.
[X] The wind’s picked up. Something flutters down unto the back of your hand. Feels like a feather.

This the ayaya option?
[X] Whispers. Incomprehensible but there, drifting on the air. They seem to be in good spirits, despite the eery tone.
[x] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!

You wouldn't hit a blind man, would you?
[x] Smells like sunflowers.

Youkai moe~
[x] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!

Super Genocider Moe~
[x] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!
[X] Smells like flowers. Somehow you can tell that it’s sunflowers. Those have seeds that you can eat for a quick snack!

Bad decisions~
There’s a certain smell that stands out. Among the grass, earth, and something from Kagerou’s last known position that reminds you of the hu—







...dammit you were almost on to something!

Anyway, among the scent of grass, earth, and the faint scent of what you assume is the fur of the werewolf’s tail, is a pleasant smell. Something that tickles the back of your mind almost as much as the one thought from earlier. Something that persists in your mind (and partially because you smelled the exact same thing being sold in the village).

Sunflowers.

Those have seeds.

Delicious seeds.

And you smell lots of them.

“Going somewhere Wash?” Keine asks as you stand.

You nod. “Smell something nice. Gonna check it out.”

“Would you like one of us to come with you?

Hmm… Do you?

+++

Who do you want to go with you? (Choose only one)

[] Keine

[] Sekibanki

[] Kagerou

[] Nah, I’ll be fine. I’ll just retrace my steps.
[x] Seki

It was a difficult choice, I'll give you that.
[X] Keine

Most level headed option.
[X] Kagerou

Lets get to know her better,shall we?
[X] Kagerou

Level-headedness is for nerds. What we need is a cute werewolf.
[X] Kagerou
[X] Kagerou

Go with Kagerou.
[X] Kagerou

Fluffiness is needed.
[x] Keine

I don't care that it's not full moon yet, hakutaku mofu is best mofu.
[X] Kagerou
[x] Sekibanki

Isn't she our first friend? Aren't we related to her Somewhat? Isn't she the MC of this story?
[X] Sekibanki
File 149519183992.jpg - (211.82KB, 850x574, Kagerou.jpg) [iqdb]
196396
“Well, in that case, would you like to go with me [X]Kagerou?”

“Eh? Uh… sure?”

That said and done, you set off following the scent of sunflowers. Keine wishes you good luck and reminds you to be cautious. Sekibanki…

She was grumbling under her breath, just barely audible.

You’ll be sure to bring her plenty of sunflower seeds to eat later.

Kagerou takes a few audible sniffs. “Mmm… Sunflowers?”

You nod. “Seeds for those are good eating.”

“Yeah,” she says, “Can’t deny that.”

Huh. Interesting. “You eat sunflower seeds?”

You’d expect that someone who’s part wolf would have more of a fondness for meat, but would that include human meat? You suppose it would. That thought nags at the back of your mind but Kagerou so far is pleasant-enough company.

Then, she huffs.

“Just because I’m a werewolf doesn’t mean I can’t eat anything other than meat!”

“Right. Sorry.”

She doesn’t reply.

“Kagerou?”

You can’t see. You don’t remember how troublesome it was before going to Gensokyo but you do know that it’s troublesome in this kind of situation, where you want to see what kind of expression your conversation partner has. Relying on other cues is fine and all but much harder.

Then again, Kagerou is a werewolf. Much as you don’t want to use this observation since you’ve stumbled upon the apparently-sensitive topic of her status as a werewolf.

There’s a low growl coming from her, a soft one. One that immediately sets off the ‘irritated wild animal alarm’ in your head. It…



...You wonder where that sort of instinct in you came from but you do feel ashamed for associated it with Kagerou now.

“...Kagerou?”

“A-Ah!”

You muster the most concerned expression you can show.

“Just… one of the things a werewolf learns to live with.” She sighs (how many times has it been?). “Misconceptions.”

Ah… That makes sense.

Just as Sekibanki has had to deal with prejudices from the likes of Kotohime, you realize that, as a werewolf with noticeable features (the ears you’ve been told about and the tail you stepped on), it must be much harder for Kagerou to actually integrate with humans. Living in a bamboo forest that intentionally makes you lose your way doesn’t sound like much of a living to you, but it probably is for Kagerou.

Now you can’t help but wonder why she’s living there in the first place. Did she choose to do so because of her condition, or was she driven away from wherever and ended up settling there?

And thus you now understand her a little more now about why she’s sensitive about her condition. Well, no use prying further if it will only upset her, so you do you best to comfort her.

You stop her with a hand on her shoulder, then start patting her on the head.

“A-Ah! Uh… Wash?!”

No words. Just keep petting her. Gotta make her feel better.

“Mmm…” She goes, clearly enjoying it. After a while, she actually presses herself closer to you.

And closer…

...

Then Sekibanki’s words from earlier come crashing through your head.

”Also, I think she might be in heat.”



You stop petting her.


“...Kagerou?”

...she’s still pressed up against you but feels rather stiff now.

...

“Ah!”

Aaaand… you’re on the ground

+++

Although you could smell sunflowers from where your group decided to rest, it actually takes longer than you thought before you—or rather Kagerou—find the sunflower field. The scent had been growing steadily as you and Kagerou walked (with her nearly running away from embarrassment after involuntarily pushing you and apologizing profusely afterwards.), and now completely fills the air.

Sunflowers. Everywhere. What a (imaginary) picture!

“Ah, how I wish I could see this,” you muse.

Kagerou hums from beside you. “There’s another place like this were a really scary Youkai is supposed to live.”

“Really? Do tell.” You tap your cane around for a few seconds for the stem of a sunflower until Kagerou simply guides you to one.

“I haven’t really heard much since I don’t leave the bamboo forest too often, but she sounds really scary,” she says as you feel the head of the sunflower. Hmm… Not dry-enough. You move on the the one next to it. “If you desecrate her flowers, the last thing you’ll ever see is the green hair and parasol. Sometimes a bright light too.”

You nod as your body goes through the strangely familiar motion of handling the sunflowers. You check its petals and leaves, which are either dry or have fallen off. Muscle memory guides your hand further down the stem, where you twist the sunflower off.

“For this hill, I believe the story goes that there’s a discarded doll that became a youkai and lives here.” Kagerou kneels down and helps you rub the seeds off into an empty pouch you retrieved from your pack before leaving Keine’s house. “She’s supposed to have a control of poison but I wouldn’t worry. If anything I’ll smell her coming from a mile away.”

You choose to ignore the "or did I mix them up?" that she mumbles under her breath.

“Good to know you’re looking out for me, Kagerou. I appreciate it.”

“Oh, it’s nothing,” she says eagerly. A bit too eagerly.

You still remember Sekibanki’s comment about her being in heat.



Well, regardless, Kagerou is very helpful in rubbing down the head of the sunflower and collecting seeds with you into the pouch, sun beating down on you and no wind to speak of, but it’s worth it. The seeds still smell a bit off, possibly due to the pieces of the sunflower that get mixed into the seeds, but still smell good. These will have to soak for a while, but after that you should…





..huh. Where are these thoughts coming from? Almost as if… you’ve… done this… before…





Nothing still. Whatever is affecting your head is really starting to grate on you.

Anyway, you feel the sunflower head in your hands, but find that there’s nothing left apart from a few stray leaves. You take the pouch in your hand, listening to the sound of seeds shifting and feeling the light weight of your haul.

“Thanks for helping me out with this,” you say, lifting your head and smiling so that Kagerou can see.

“Not a problem,” she replies. “I enjoyed hanging out with you.”

...ignore the implications, you do not feel like being pulled into that kind of thing.

Gotta change the topic.

“Should be enough for everyone,” you say. “Might even sell anything left-over.”

“Well, that means you’ll go back here, right? If you need someone to keep an eye out for the doll youkai, I’m available!”

‘Available’ she says. Just what does she mean by it, though?

“I’ll consider it,” you say. “Next time I go back here—”

“Wash.”

“Maybe I’ll find more sunflowers. Sell some seeds in the village so—”

“Wash!”

“I can at least make my stay at Keine’s house worth her—” Why does she sound so urgent?

“Wash!!”

“What?”

Kagerou doesn’t reply, but a faint, barely audible whimper comes from the back of her throat. You raise your hand, which brushes against hers that feels as though it’s pointing somewhere while trembling horribly. Perplexed, you trace along her finger to the tip and move your hand in the direction it points.

First, you brush against the head of a sunflower. Moving to the side, you brush against another, but both feel rather far apart. You gently move you hand down in the middle of those two and end up patting a head covered in soft hair.

“Boo.”

“GYAAAAAA!!!”

You wince and your hands shoot up to cover your ears as you feel your staff being wrenched from your grip and a small dust cloud being kicked up at your feet.

The screaming fades, and all that is left is the chuckling of the mysterious woman in the flowers.

“My~ I wasn’t aware that a youkai could run that fast.”

Ah, so that’s why there was a dust cloud.

You twist slightly to the direction you felt it come from but cannot hear anything that tells you of Kagerou’s whereabouts. You turn back to your new companion and give her a disapproving glare.

“Oh, come now. It was all harmless fun.”

You continue to stare.

“Well, I didn’t expect her to run away so fast, and with you staff too.” You hear a rustling as she steps from the sunflowers. You also hear a rattling sound that is familiar to you.

“More importantly, I should kill you for what you’ve done to that poor flower.”

...is she serious?

“Any last words?”

You feel something, the end of a stick or whatever, being levelled at the center of your chest.

What the fuck.

+++

Well? Do you have any last words?

[] Write-in
Oh, how I wish we could hear her voice. I mean, I thought it was Kogasa for a sec.she might as well be: this isn't Yuuka's field; there are dead plants, after all

[X] The sunflowers were dead. Now, they'll live within me, experience what I experience and, finally, surpass me when I die. You would deny them that?
[X] The sunflowers that I picked are the ones that are already dead though?

Remain casual.
>>196397
Apparently one of the ways you can tell if the seeds are ripe is if the sunflower is starting to dry.

Every plant has it's day, regardless of how much moe~ it's exposed to.
Feel free to go wild with the Write-in's. I'll go with whatever amuses me (or everyone if you guys vote for one) the most.

In the meantime, I have seeds to eat.
[X] The sunflowers that I picked are the ones that are already dead though?
>>196396
[X] The sunflowers I picked the seeds from were already dead. If they weren't, I would not have touched them.
Last words, huh?
[x] Last Word "Blind Man's Pocket Sand"
I'm sure Wash is well versed in the art of pocket sand. Gotta keep it handy to level the playing field in tough spots.
>>196403
>USE sand ON touhou

So what's the next step in your master plan?
[X] Can I know why before I say them?
[X] You wouldn't hit a blind person, would you?
[x] "Well, shit."

THP is the last place I expected to see my real-life nemesis. I'm allergic to sunflower seeds.
>>196411

But... Yuuka exists. Who has a big honking sunflower field. Which is full of sunflowers. Which, of course, have seeds.

This is like the exact place I would imagine them being mentioned.
[X] The sunflowers that I picked are the ones that are already dead though?
[X] The sunflowers that I picked are the ones that are already dead though?

You know, at the very least a master spark to the chest would be a quick death. I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about.
>>196412

When was the last time a writefag remembered that sunflowers are a food crop?
[X] The sunflowers that I picked are the ones that are already dead though?

Wow Kagerou, leading us to our death and then running away on your own. Did those head pats mean nothing to you? Worst waifu 2017.
>>196425
This is what happens when you choose knockoff awoo.
Meanwhile…

Keine and Sekibanki sit quietly and chew on some crackers that Keine brought with her as they wait for Kagerou and Wash to return from their little ‘excursion’. It actually wasn’t that bad. Keine ans Sekibanki were having an extended meaningful conversation for the first time in a while

“And that, Keine, is why Village politics are bullshit.”

“Yes, if only they’d just stop feeding their egos,” she replies while nodding. As the only teacher in the village and a historian it really is infuriating whenever I witness these type of things in the council meetings I attend…”

“So how do deal with it?”

“I headbutt the most annoying person in the room.”

Sekibanki whistles in admiration. “You don’t mess around, do you?”

“I swear, I have children in my class who have more common sense than those old morons sometimes,” Keine sighs.

“GYAAaa…!”



“Did you hear that?”

“Just Kagerou being Kagerou. Don’t worry about it too much.”

Keine still spares a worrying glance towards the sound of the scream. She can’t help but wonder where it is that Wash led Kagerou too. Surely, given his ‘predicament’ it would have to be something impressive to have triggered his other senses to the point where he’d follow it.

Makes her wish that she volunteered to go with him.

‘CRASH’



Keine and Sekibanki stare with a blank expression at the recently-collapsed and slightly teary-eyed Kagerou.

Who is alone.

And only has Wash’s staff with her.

“It wasn’t the doll!” She wailed.

“...what?” Sekibanki asks.

“I got the stories mixed-up! We were getting seedsandIthoughtitwasthedollwholivedtherebutitwasn’tbecauseImixedthemup!”

“Kagerou!” Sekibanki grabs her by the shoulders. “Where. Is. Wash?”

Kagerou sniffs. “I got scared so I grabbed him and ran back with hi—”

Keine reaches over and grabs the staff from her.

“Eh?” She looks at the staff, confused, then turns to the direction she came from. Then it went back to the staff and alternated a few more times before she had a horror-struck look on her face.

“...”

“...Kagerou…”

“Ah!”

pi~chunnn
RIP Kagerou
F
File 149539477398.jpg - (354.10KB, 850x1491, Youkai Moe.jpg) [iqdb]
196435
You’re stranded in a sunflower field with a pouch of sunflower seeds, have been abandoned by Kagerou in favor of a walking stick, and are now being threatened by some girl who’s holding another stick to your chest, or something.

The first thought that pops into your head is ‘Well, shit.’

You’re more annoyed than you are scared.

Then you go over the facts. This girl just appeared out of nowhere, scared your only guide away and depriving you of the extended reach of your staff all by saying ‘boo’ while hiding in a patch of sunflowers. She’s threatening to kill you for killing a sunflower.

So when she asks you for your last words, your actual response is to shrug and say “Circle of life for you.”

“...eh?”

“Circle of life,” you reiterate, holding up the sunflower head. Even though you can’t see it you can tell that it did not have long before you harvested it. It’s leaves felt dry and you noticed that its head dropped lower than the other flower. You hold up the clearly formerly nearly-dead sunflower.

“......eh?”

You sigh. “I’m calling your bluff because one, this sunflower was nearly dead already and two, you would have and should have done so before revealing yourself.”

“...”

You open your eyes and fix a blank, unseeing glare at her.

“Well? Are you going to push through with it, or what? I don’t have all day!”

“...you’re not going to beg?”

You stare at her more, then unenthusiastically get on you knees.

“You’re not gonna hit a blind man, are you?” you say as blankly as possible.

“...”

“...”

...yes, you just said that. Words cannot begin to describe how ashamed you are. Then another part of you reassure you that you don’t care at this point. WHAT HAPPENED TO GETTING YOUR MEMORIES BACK?

But Goddammit this woman is standing between you and your sunflower seeds. And it is…



..slipping from your mind again but regardless!

“...so you’re not afraid?”

You raise an eyebrow. “Should I be—”

“NO!”



“I’m leaving.”

You turn to walk away, you don’t care at this point, you’ll just shout for Keine or Kagerou or Sekibanki as you go along. You’re just so… done with this girl.

Then she grabs the hem of your shirt.

“W-would…” She takes a deep breath. “Would you like some tea?”

WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS?

Shouldn’t you be trying to get your memories and sight back?

WHY WAS SHE THREATENING TO KILL YOU OVER A SUNFLOWER?

Why—

Your stomach rumbles.



...

...arg!

“Fuck it, why not.”

+++

And that’s how you ended up where you are now. Yuuka—she didn’t bother telling you her surname—led you by hand to her ‘house’, though the echoing sound your footsteps make tell you that it’s probably more of a mansion.

At first you thought of just getting the tea over with in a hurry until you noticed how springy Yuuka’s steps were as she guided you. The occasional tugs spoke volumes about just how enthusiastic she was inside even though she didn’t show much outside.

Even if you wanted to refuse at any point, you doubt you would’ve been able to pull it off without pissing off her or someone, which is why you’re allowing yourself to be seated in a chair while your sunflower seeds (plus ones that Yuuka collected in that bucket she had, which is what made the rattling sound from earlier) soaked in hot water.

“You don’t get much visitors, do you?” you ask.

“Do they have to stay for an extended period to qualify?”

“Obviously.”

The sound of rushing liquid filled your ears followed by the ‘clink’ of ceramic as the kettle is set down. You tentatively reach out for the cup, which you take a small sip from when you find it.

“In that case, no,” she admits. “Otherwise, I get plenty. The real question would be how many of them don’t run away screaming.”

“After being on the receiving end of your welcoming performance, I can’t say I blame them.”

Yuuka’s initial response is to lightly bop you on the head from across the table..

“Is that any way to speak to your host?”

“You mean hostage-taker?”

Yuuka giggles softly in response. It sounds quite nice, actually. Her voice, that it. It’s a shame that she’s so lonely.

“Oh, Yuuka~”

...what the hell?

“Oh, shit! I forgot she’d be inside today!”

A series of loud and rapid footsteps come from the left of you and immediately pauses when it enters the immediate area.

“My! What do we have here?” Well, this new voice certain sounds… ‘excited.’ “Yuuka! I’m so proud of you!”

“Huh?” you turn to where Yuuka’s voice last came from.

“Elly…” she growls.

“You’ve finally made another friend! Wriggle will be delighted!”

“What?” You turn to where Elly’s voice came from.

“You’re embarrassing me!”

“Good day to you, sir! I am Elly! Yuuka’s caretaker—”

“—Servant!”

“Now, Yuuka, is that any way to talk to your best friend?”

The sound of wood creaking catches your attention for a moment before the sound is amplified and fills the room, particularly in the general area that Elly’s voice came from. If sounds again, but as it recedes, you think you can hear Elly commenting something that sounded like “Oh, good! It’s the apple tree this time!”

“Ahem.”

You raise as eyebrow questioningly towards the sound of Yuuka clearing her throat.

“Now, as I was about to say—

‘CRASH’

“Yuuka! I forgot that I left my—”

“NOT NOW!”

You hear the wood creaking sound again that apparently sweeps Wriggle away in the same manner it previously did with Elly, except she merely squeals in surprise, which fades eventually.

“...”

“...visitors?”

Yuuka sighs. “You have no idea—”

‘CRASH’

“WASH!” Your heart sinks with the realization that this time, It’s Sekibanki speaking. “WE CAME TO SAVE Y—”



“...whatthehell?”

You can’t really blame Sekibanki for sounding so taken-aback. After all, she just broke into what you assume is a mansion in a bid to rescue you, only to find you enjoying a cup of tea with another girl you’ve only just met.

“,,,’sniff’...”

You reach over the table and place a reassuring hand on the top of Yuuka’s shoulder, which you have to randomly swat the air to find, and give her a few reassuing pats.

“I just wanted to talk!” she wails.

“Do you… uh…” Keine hesitates. “Do you two need a moment?”

“Yes, Kiene, that would be nice. Thank you.”

+++

Okay. Shit happened. Next you should probably…

[] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

[] Wrap this up and continue underground.

[] Go home. You’ve had enough for one day.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

This is Yuukafag bias and I'm not gonna even disguise it.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

Lovely writing as always.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

Normally I try not to make choices based off of my favourite characters, but I'm choosing this anyways.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

It worked out pretty well for Meiling that one time, so why not?
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

First, you gave us the Banki.
Then, you gave us the Awoo.
Now, you gave us a non-genocidal, friendly Yuuka.

You're an alright guy, writefag.
[x] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

this is the best update on the site right now
[x] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

Can't say no to cute Yuuka.
[x] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.
this Yuuka is adorable. I love it!
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.
File 149542318794.jpg - (324.06KB, 1200x780, varyingdegreesofwtf.jpg) [iqdb]
196448
[x] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

OK, that part with Wriggle was a bit confusing but, otherwise, this just jumped to one of my favorite stories. Your characters are lovable!

Still, don't you people forget we are in Seki route.
[x] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

I don't know what it is or how you do it, but I hope you keep doing it.
[x] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.

Youkai moe has never been so moe. Not that often, at least.
[X] Stay with Yuuka for a little longer.
File 149551675872.jpg - (21.85KB, 300x375, Fine_ You Can All Go And Die.jpg) [iqdb]
196463
There’s a hole in the wall now, which you heard and felt its creation.

A door’s also been kicked off its hinges by a bug, there’s dust all over the table and you spilled your goddamn tea.

Yuuka’s tearing up too, so there’s that.

Yeah. Underground can wait. You’ve got some Yuuka to friend.

“There, there,” you say as you move your hand up to give Yuuka head pats instead of on her shoulder.

She still continues to silently let her tears out, not crying outright but you can tell that all this really upset her.

It makes you wonder what exactly she goes through every time she tries to converse that makes her so lonely. She mentioned people running away?

“I’m still here,” you say reassuringly.

She’s still crying.

...you stand from your seat and carefully feel your way around the table before you kneel in front of Yuuka’s seat (you can tell because the sniffling sounds are right in front of you now). Slowly, you move your arms up and open them invitingly, and Yuuka clings almost immediately. You can now feel her sobs going into your shoulder as well as her tears soaking through your shirt. Slowly, you close your arms around her and pat her on the back reassuringly.

You’ve got a girl you literally just met earlier today in your arms using you as a shoulder to cry on.

Thank God Keine was kind enough to usher Kagerou and Sekibanki out.

“D-Do you have any idea h-how hard it is to make friends here?”

“Just let it all out.” you continue to rub circles on her back.

“Every time! Every time I-I’m in the village! It’s all just stares and whispers! Every time I try to talk to someone that brat brings the whole guard down on me!”

Why are you not surprised that Kotohime’s involved?

“Everyone says it’s so easy but it isn’t! Not when everyone’s so afraid!”

You almost bring up her earlier form of welcome where she threatened to kill you but immediately shoot that thought down. It does raise a few flags in your head though.

As Yuuka continues to cry on your shoulder, your mind flashes back to your conversation with Kagerou.

”If you desecrate her flowers, the last thing you’ll ever see is the green hair and parasol. Sometimes a bright light too.”

Well that would explain what that thing she pointed at you earlier was.

If a rumor as malignant as that made it all the way to Kagerou, who lives isolated in a magical bamboo forest, there’s no telling how severe it is in the village, which Yuuka just claimed to visit. The rumor came from somewhere, you’re sure of that (especially considering Yuuka’s welcoming surprise from earlier), but being here has revealed to you that there’s more to the persona of the scary youkai of the hill.

You thought Sekibanki and Kagerou had it bad? Yuuka’s probably the most human-like youkai you’ve met (well, she doesn’t have any extra/detachable appendages as far as you can tell) but arguably has it worse. She lives all the way out here in the middle of a flower field and is at the same time antagonized in the village.

All alone, in a large house with naught but Elly to keep her company.





What a depressing though.

Eventually, the sniffles gradually subside until Yuuka stops cry—er… tearing up altogether.

“Wash?”

“Yes?”

“This never happened.”

Heh. Pride is such a mysterious thing.

“Of course.”

Everyone needs to vent sometime. Looks like today Yuuka happened to be due. How long has she been keeping it in?

+++

One of the perks of living in a mansion that originated in the dream world is that it never stays damaged for long. The good news is that the hole in the wall that your friends created is nonexistent now. The bad news is that to get to them, Yuuka has to lead you back outside the long way.

By the time you get there…

You consider that maybe you should’ve reminded her that Elly would be there. It would’ve saved you the trouble and prepared her for what she was doing.

“And here’s a picture of Yuuka in her pajamas before we moved to Gensokyo!”

Yuuka freezes in place. You feel a chill go up your spine and the grip on your wrist gradually (probably unconsciously) tighten. Well, you have no desire to lose your hand so you grab Yuuka’s wrist with your free hand and carefully extract yours.

Almost immediately after your wrist is freed Yuuka begins advancing, grass crunching underneath her feet as she goes for the kill.

”Elly~” she growls.

“Ah! Yuukarin! You’re just in ti—”

A familiar buzz makes its way into your mind. Vibrations in the air, and a sudden surge of heat, intense heat, from where you last heard Yuuka, and an odd sound that you can’t quite describe.

You can also hear your companions +1 cursing.

“EEK!”

“Oh shite!”

“Ah.”

“Oh, Gods not again!” ...what was her name? That girl from earlier? Wriggle? Yeah. Wriggle.

Meanwhile, Elly is just laughing.

“My~ That was a close one, wasn’t it Yuukarin?”

“Elly!”

A gust of wind is kicked up from a little bit ahead of you, then Yuuka’s and Elly’s voices fade into the distance.

Flying. Right.





...well, those two won’t be back for a while, and with Yuuka was your chance of getting your sunflower seeds.



...fuck. Those were boiling. You’re gonna have to find those someho—

“Oof!”

Something knocked you in the chest. HARD. You’re on the ground, holding something very familliar.

“You’re an idiot,” Sekibanki says.

You sigh, sit up, and place her head on your lap and pat it with the most reassuring smile you can muster on your face.

“It’s nice to see you too.”

Another sound grabs your attention. Two sets of footsteps, one shuffling and the other irritatedly stomping. The familiar scent of fur registers in your mind.

“Well?” Sekibanki says from your lap. “Don’t you have something to say Kagerou?”

You can hear a slight whimper escape from Kagerou before she cries out “I’m sorry!”



“...sniff.”

Oh, God. Is she crying too?!

+++

Kagerou’s crying in front of you, Sekibanki’s head is in your lap, and you can still hear Yuuka cursing at Elly in the distance. What’s going on with Keine and Wriggle at the moment is a mystery that can wait while you deal with the Crying Wolf.

[] How do approach Kagerou?
[X] Forgive her and give her the same treatment as you gave Yuuka, as she did perhaps help you make a new friend.

One could say that fear blinded her, and that her heart was in the right place.
[x] Forgive her.

Her heart was in the right place.
[X] Forgive her and give her the same treatment as you gave Yuuka, as she did perhaps help you make a new friend.

Kagekage is a good girl.
[x] Forgive her and give her the same treatment as you gave Yuuka, as she did perhaps help you make a new friend.

This story is nice, it fills me with warmth. Tsundere Yuuka is also something I'd never thought I'd get to see.
[x] Get someone to attend to the boiling seeds

I can't believe we are going to lose them after all of this.
[X] Forgive her.

In the end no one got hurt. Except wriggle and maybe Elly.
[x] Forgive her and give her the same treatment as you gave Yuuka, as she did perhaps help you make a new friend.
[X] Forgive her.
[X] Insist that next time she at least leave you your staff.
[x] Forgive her and give her the same treatment as you gave Yuuka, as she did perhaps help you make a new friend.
-[x] Wait around for Yuuka to come back. You're not leaving without those seeds goddammit.
[x] Forgive her, but gently suggest that running off with a blind man's staff may not be the nicest thing to do in future.
[x] Wait around for Yuuka to come back. You're not leaving without those seeds goddammit.
Ever since stepping into Gensokyo, you’ve had the boundary of your mind scrambled, had your memories locked from you by drinking mushroom juice, been shot in the head with another head, and barraged by a pretentious moonbitch (Sekibanki’s words).

That said, Kagerou accidentally leaving you behind in a panic is very low on your list of things you’ve gone through that pissed you off.

That said you do the only thing you know will calm down a remorseful and crying werewolf girl.

“A-Augh…” Kagerou goes as you start patting her head.

“Don’t worry, I’m not mad.”

“You’re not?”

“Nope.” You give her your most reassuring smile. “Just make sure you leave my staff with me next time, okay?”

“...okay.”

+++

Thankfully your seeds are still fine by the time Yuuka returns from chasing Elly (While you can’t see what exactly Yuuka did, Sekibanki mentioned something about it ‘leaving a mark’.), which took her roughly an hour or so. At one point their voices faded completely and you thought you could hear the faint sound of several people screaming.

Yuuka reassures you that no innocent bystanders were harmed in her dishing out of discipline.

You’ve still got to wait for the seeds to roast, so in the meantime you and your group are seated while Yuuka sets that up.

...well, you say seated but the more accurate term would be that they are quivering in their seats. It’s so bad that you can tell they’re quivering without even having to look at them.

...or, at least, Kagerou and Sekibanki were quivering. Keine ran off to talk to Yuuka.

“Rest in peace, Keine,” Kagerou said.

“Rest in pieces, you mean?”

You raise an eyebrow towards Sekibanki as you feel around the table for your salvaged cup of tea.

“What, the fact that we blew a hole through her wall and prepared to rescue you by force didn’t clue you in?”

“No, no, that hint was plenty enough,” you say. “I’m just wondering how is it that Yuuka developed such a reputation in the first place. You two are here acting like there’s a murder in the house and she mentioned that people in the village are terrified of her. Why?”

“Well… That’s the thing. Nobody really knows where the rumors started, but there have been witnesses that whenever Yuuka comes out to battle a lot of bad things happen.”

“Define bad things.”

“Collateral damage. Lots of it. Only place that never gets damaged is her flower field because she’s so protective of it. Doesn’t happen very often but it’s enough to make people scared”

“Well, to be fair,” holy crap you forgot Wriggle was here, “It’s all mostly because of that book that Akyuu published. At least Yuuka doesn’t go around actively trying to kill every human that steps foot in her territory, unlike Medicine...”

...what.

“Medicine? Seriously?.”

“The poisonous doll I told you about,” Kagerou says. “Her name’s ironic, I know.”

“Still, I don’t know,” you say, “Even if Yuuka has a reputation for causing massive collateral, would that really instill such a large amount of fear of her if she doesn’t even do it often?”

Sekibanki scoffs. “You’re from their time, Wash. You of all people should know.”





...from their time?

“What do you me—”

“Regardless,” She cuts you off, “If you really want to know more about Yuuka you either ask her yourself or you ask Reimu and Marisa. I hear that they’ve encountered her long before Kagerou and I have even heard of her.”

Well, there’s something that you resolve to do when you have the time, but what exactly did Sekibanki mean by ‘you’re from their time’? Same time as the villagers? As in the same era?

...Sekibanki, how much does she kno—

Wait.

That smell.

Hot, smoky, delicious.

You can hear footsteps approaching the the smell get stronger.

“The sunflower seeds are ready!” Fucking finally! Bless you Yuuka, bless—

‘CRASH’

...oh, come on!

+++

[] “Stop disturbing the Village!”

[] “You fried my favorite mushr— Oh! Hi Wash!”

[] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”
[X] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”

Another good girl! And she's green haired as well!

>“You’re from their time, Wash. You of all people should know.”

Soo, Wash is a PC-98 character?
>>196502
Don't remember any PC-98 characters that match so probably not.

Maybe she was referring to the villagers? 18th-19th century people are a lot more susceptible to fear so that would explain Yuuka's reputation?
[x] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”

Let's get mad at the green Reimu for attempting to steal our haul!
[x] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”

So, you want to taste our seeds, eh?
>>196506
Bad anon. Sanae is a good girl.
[x] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”
Luigi pls.

>>196502
>>196503
Maybe he's from that other early game series. The one with the scientific bent that didn't get far and the robot maid(s). Can't recall the name.
[x] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”
>>196508
Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream?

Wash is a robot?
>>196508

Seihou?
[x] “Stop disturbing the Village!”

I wonder what Reimu has to say about Wash's mind being screwed by the border.
>>196512
This is Reimu we're talking about. She either doesn't care, has dealt with that before, or both.
{X} “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”
File 149571756982.jpg - (209.66KB, 732x850, reimu.jpg) [iqdb]
196515
[x] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”

Hi there, Shrine Maiden!
[X] "Stop disturbing the village!"

Wash just can't catch a break.
>>196510
>>196511
Yeah that's it. It's pretty unlikely to be honest but hey, it's possible I suppose.
[X] “Stop disturbing the Village!”
[X] “Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”

Green hair collection.
[X] “You fried my favorite mushr— Oh! Hi Wash!”

I assume that line meant he was from an era of old fashioned people who instilled fear easily. Makes sense if you consider that our protagonist is named Irving Washington and he just so happened to drive Sekibanki to Gensokyo.
File 149581578851.jpg - (260.43KB, 850x1202, Does this look like the face of an exterminator (n.jpg) [iqdb]
196528
That smell.

Hot, smoky, delicious.

You can hear footsteps approaching the the smell get stronger.

“The sunflower seeds are ready!” Yuuka says. Fucking finally! You immediately stand and slowly approach the sound of Yuuka’s voice with a hand reached out to grab a seed. Bless you Yuuka, bless—

‘CRASH’

“[X]Hi! I came to exterminate you because the Tengu were complaining about— Oh! Sunflower seeds! I haven’t had those since before we moved here!”

...what?

Next thing you know somebody’s brushes passed you and the sound of shifting seeds reaches your ears along with Yuuka’s surprised “eh?”.

Whoever this new girl is, she’s feasting on your seed.





Okay, it sounded a lot better before you materialized the thought into words but still!

“Excuse me!” You reach out to grab her shoulder but a sudden shift grabs your attention. Air moves from her going around and to you, you hear for the faintest of seconds the sound of something moving fast through the air.

You raise a hand up and just barely catch the girl’s wrist with your other hand while she grabbed the one you reached out. You feel a slight rustle against your forehead—some sort of paper attached to a rod that your hand feels from her wrist—and hear the sound of chairs being shoved out of place as Sekibanki and Kagerou (presumably) stand abruptly.

“White eyes?” the girl asks. “You’re blind?”

Slowly, hesitantly, you nod. She’s still exerting pressure and trying to force her arm forward.

“Oh, cool! I’ve always wanted to exterminate a tenome!”

“...a what?”

“Youka. No eyes in his head, just his hands,” Kagerou quips with the barest hint of a growl escaping her.

...hold on a minute now.

“You think I’m a YOUKAI?!”

The girl scoffs. She has the nerve to SCOFF.

“Obviously,” she says as if it was the most obvious fucking thing in the world, “You’re blind so that must mean you’re a tenome!”

“What.”

“What kind of a youkai doesn’t know he’s a youkai? That’s pretty silly!” Yeah, keep talking. She can’t hear it, but there are silent footsteps approach—

‘CRACK’



…She sways and loosens her grip.

“...S-Suwako sama~ Why are you wearing lederhosen...?”

‘THUD’

...aaaaand there she goes.





“...Is she knocked out?”

Someone walks by and pats you on the shoulder.

“You’re welcome, Wash,” Keine says.

“I’m confused. Was she supposed to be threatening me?” says Yuuka.

All you can do is sigh.

+++

“And that, Sanae,” says Keine, “is why Wash is not a tenome, and why he will not give you an autograph.”

“Fascinating!” says Sanae, who you’ve been told is currently tied down to a chair, “I never knew that the juice Marisa let me drink at her house was capable of locking away someone’s memory like that!”

You split open a sunflower seed and eat the warm, delicious core hidden inside.

“I wholeheartedly apologize for attacking you, Mr. Washington! I believe we got off on the wrong foot. I am Sanae Kochiya! Miko of the Moriya shrine!!”

“Irving Washington,” you say. “Outsider.”

“Your name is a lot like this old author from the outside world! Are you perhaps familiar with him?’

You shake your head while continuing to crack open and eat sunflower seeds. “Not without my memory, no.”

You think Sekibanki might know. You can hear her growling in the background when the author was brought up.

“Ah, well that’s too bad. If it’s not too much of a bother, could someone please untie me so I can carry on with my job?”

“No.”

“W-What? But I apologized to you and everything! Why not?”

“Well” you set down your bowl of seeds on the table and lean towards the sound of Sanae’s voice. “You said so yourself earlier. ‘Hi! I’m here to exterminate you’ and while I’m blind, I don’t need to see bright flashes and explosions in the distance to know that Yuuka lied to me—”

“Hey, I said no innocent bystanders were harmed,” Yuuka says. “I think we can all agree that the Tengu are far from innocent.”

Surprisingly, everyone in the room gives murmurs of agreement. Even Sanae.

“Anyway, so why would you expect to be untied when we all know that you’re here to ‘exterminate’ Yuuka—”

You are interrupted by the sound of something falling to the floor making a dull sound.

“Oh! Why thank you Miss Yuuka!”

Waitwhat?

“Y-Yuuka?” Well… You know she was crying earlier about how nobody wanted to approach her but even you have reservations about just untying a person who clearly stated her intentions to exterminate you.

Then, Sekibanki, Kagerou and Wriggle gasp.

“I apologize for inconveniencing you like this,” Yuuka says.

“I thought I’d never see the day,” Wriggle whispers.

“This is possible? Yuuka being all… apologetic?” Sekibanki says in disbelief.

“Who cares about that she’s bowing! As in actually bowing!” Kagerou quietly exclaims.

Yeah, sure. Just ignore the blind guy who has to go by sound and touch to get around. Not like you can hear what specific action anyone does…

...from a distance anyway.

“Hey. What’s happening?” you ask.

“Shut up Wash, I’m immortalizing the moment in my brain.” Sekibanki says.

“What?”

“A scene like this is rarer than a deep mountain stag beetle with white eyes!”

“I can still hear all of you, you know?”

For a fraction of a second the room gets colder and a chill involuntarily makes its way up your spine as a honey-coated voice hiding a deadly trap within comes from where you last heard Yuuka. You feel some sort of constant pressure, like something bearing down on you from all directions and slowly CRUSHINGYOUUNTILNOTHINGISLE—

“Would you like to take these seeds home, Wash?”

...and just like that, it’s gone. Without a trace. Just… poof!

You turn to the sound of Yuuka, almost unbelieving of what you just felt but sure that it is something you won’t forget easily.

Thus, you say what occurs naturally.

“What the fuck just happened?”

+++

Sadly, the sun had began to set by the time your group left Yuuka’s mansion. Sanae flies off in a sudden gust of wind from the front door bidding you all goodnight (and, for some reason, promising to read some sort of book to you the next time you two meet). Wriggle, who you realize you haven’t talked to at all (what kind of youkai is she anyway?), disappears into the sunflowers, which shake and rustle as she walks through. Elly waved goodnight while hanging upside down from a tree, or so you were told.

Yuuka was kind enough to offer you and your friends rooms to sleep in for the night, when much of the feral youkai will be active. Of the four of you, Sekibanki and Kagerou were a bit hesitant, but you convince them that there’s nothing to worry about.

Well, your trip to the underground and hopefully your memories was delayed, but hey. You met Yuuka and got yourself some sunflower seeds. Worth it.
Waves lap gently against the hull of your ship as you rock gently in your hammock in the crew’s quarters.

You’re in that stage where you’re between sleepiness and wakefulness, but in a relaxed way. In bliss.

The bliss is disrupted when heavy and frantic footsteps originate from the decking above you.

Next thing you know the first mate has run into the quarters and father forcefully rouses everyone from sleep. You open your one good eye, and when your hearing returns to you as you fully slip into wakefulness, you’re met with frantic scurrying.

You’re off the hammock and rush to the upper deck when a pain blossoms at your side, agonizing and severe. You turn your head, more that you would normally do, and see the cause.

You ran into the edge of a table. Goddamn this half-blindness!

From your spot on the floor, you’re rushed to your stations as you begin securing the ropes as your ship prepares to cast off. You fumble with your knots for a but but ultimately finish and move to secure the other lines.

That captain’s been warned.

A local, claiming that the batteries had been moved from the hills, was the source of the hurried footsteps.

If you don’t cast off soon, you will be fired upon.

Now you are guiding two of your special guests onto the plank linking the merchant ship to the fisherman’s humble boat and motion for them to hurry. The older woman gazes at you with gratitude. Her daughter, nearly a young woman herself, hesitantly bids you farewell. You kick the gangplank off as you watch the red hair disappear below decks, and the fishing boat sets off. The sails unfurl above you as you hesitantly wave to the—

‘BOOOOM!!!’

You are tossed sideways. You skid against the wooden deck as seawater and splinters rain around you and crewmen shout in panic. A searing pain grips at your face and you struggle to push yourself to your feet, but everything is dark.

Everything is muffled.

Everything is getting a little colder.

The image of the fishing boat sailing away is burned into your mind.

You bitterly note how, despite clinging to consciousness throughout the ordeal, that boat was literally the last thing you will ever see.


+++

You slowly drift from your dreams as you become unfortunately aware of how cold you suddenly feel, yet at the same time how your face seems to burn a little.

You were…

That…





What did you dream of again?

+++

You decide to remain as you are for a while longer to allow more of your senses to return to you, but as they do, you notice something. Something…

[] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.

[] A bit prickly… Shit! It’s crawling all over you!

[] Downy… Shi—wait, it doesn’t feel that bad, actually. Is that a feath— ‘click’
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[x] Downy… Shi—wait, it doesn’t feel that bad, actually. Is that a feath— ‘click’
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.

Get out of my bed!
[x] Downy… Shi—wait, it doesn’t feel that bad, actually. Is that a feath— ‘click’

Damn paparazzi.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.

Everyday until you like it, Wash.

>Our last action is to save a woman's life.

What a way to go!
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.

RIP *Scorn*
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.
[X] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.

so, we saved Sekibanki life and left her on a fishing boa that lead her to Gensokyo, and we where possibly a pirate.
man we're cool.
File 149585773378.jpg - (457.08KB, 743x900, Is This Wash.jpg) [iqdb]
196548
>>196547
>we were possibly a pirate.
[x] Soft…. Shit. Something’s in bed with you.

Poor, poor Aya. You will never be in this story.
[X] A bit prickly… Shit! It’s crawling all over you!

Tidepiss possible-wriggle option go.
[x] Downy… Shi—wait, it doesn’t feel that bad, actually. Is that a feath— ‘click’

Want tengu
[x] Downy… Shi—wait, it doesn’t feel that bad, actually. Is that a feath— ‘click’
Something’s pressing up against you back and feels… [X]Soft…

Shit. Someone's in bed with you.

Well…





Ah, who are you kidding? You can't exactly see anything you shouldn't due to your blindness, but it wouldn't change how undeniably screwed you are if this mystery person decides to wake up at that precise moment, however.

Who is this mystery person anyway?

Well… As embarrassed as you are to say this it’s not Keine or Yuuka. Not soft enough and too soft (respectively) to be either of those two, which left the possibility Kagerou and Sekibanki, neither of which you’d be too keen to wake up in bed with. No, this was soft with a bit of firmness mixed in…



,,mmm. Appl—

No!

Nope. No sir. You will not be that guy

Right. You have to slow, precise, and very careful. You slowly inch forward towards the opposite edge of the mattress, relieving some of the pressure off your back as your feet make contact with the cold tiled floor.

One hand in the bed and remaining crouched, you slowly make your way around the bed, moving as slowly and as silently as you can manage, until you reach the other side. The sound of deep, relaxed breaths fills your ears as you feel around the wall beside the headboard for the familiar wooden staff that you left leaning against it.

Staff in hand, you allow yourself to stand at full height to better keep it away from the floor. Slowly, you make your way towards where you last remember the door being in. You haven’s mentally mapped out the room from the other side of the bed yet, so you have to feel around the wall for a bit before your fingers brush against the door.

You take a step closer when...

“Hmmrph…”

...shitshitshitshitshitshit!

You immediately grab the door knob, open the door and throw yourself through before pulling it shut and backing away until you reach the opposite wall, where you allow yourself to slide down and try to relax.

Now that there’s nothing much else occupying your mind do you register your heartbeat pounding away rapidly inside you and how fast your breaths have become.

You push yourself back to your feet and slowly approach the door. You press an ear against the wood and, to your relief, only hear the sound of light snoring through the wood.

...how did you even sleep through all tha–

“Morning Wash!”

OHSHIT

“GAH!”

“KYAAAAA!!!”

By reflex, you ended up swinging you staff towards the sound of Kagerou’s voice. When you do you hear her toss herself out of the way if your swing, sounding very terrified.

“Holy shit I’m sorry Kagerou! Are you alright?”

You walk closer to the sound of Kagerou’s impact with the floor and crouch down.

Bad idea, apparently.

“Holy shit!”

You then hear a series of skidding and shuffling noises that you conclude to be Kagerou backing away in horror.

“W-What the hell is that?!”

“What?”

“That!”

“...Kagerou, honey, I’m blind. Stop pointing.”

“Oh. Sorry.”

“Your staff! Why do you have that on your staff?!”

“What?”

You run your hand along the length of your staff from top to bottom but don’t really find anything different. The wood’s still worn, it’s taller than a cane but not you. Truth be told you don't even know if it qualifies as a staff (it's definitely too long to be a cane. You just don't know what else to call it other than a walking stick.

That said, you don't know why Kagerou is freaking out, you reflexively swinging at her head notwithstanding.

“Kagerou there’s nothing on this staff.”

“Yes there is! It’s even—KYAAAA!!!”

You hear more shuffling and scratching sounds which transition into frantic footsteps as Kagerou suddenly runs away from you.





...That’s the last time you ever just choose whichever room you can find without checking it’s occupants.

...then again, who would willingly share a bed with you?

+++

Unfortunately, as it turned out, by the time you had snuck out of the room, everybody else other than the mystery person in the bed had woken up and Kagerou was sent to fetch you for breakfast.

Then she got freaked-out by whatever problem she had with your staff and left you there.

It came to the point where, after you got lost trying to retrace your steps from last night, Yuuka had to fetch you herself and guide you to a different room where your friends are having breakfast.

...rather they would be if Sekibanki wasn’t scolding Kagerou.

“You had one job. ONE JOB. Not only that you failed that one job TWICE!”

“B-B-But t-the staff! It tried to kill me!”

“Are you still going on about that?” you ask as Yuuka guides you to the table.

“Wash!” You hear rapid footsteps approach you before you can sit and suddenly snatch your staff from you. Again.

“See?!”

“...Kagerou, it’s a fucking stick.”

“B-But! It— The! Oh… nevermind.”

“Sorry, Wash,” she says as she hands your staff back to you.

“I—uh… I’m sorry too?” Even though you have absolutely no idea what you did to get Kagerou to freak out like that.

And with that you eat breakfast. Truth be told you can’t actually tell what it is you’re eating sometimes but it doesn’t change the fact that whatever this food is, it tastes delicious.

“It’s just egg and rice,” Yuuka says.

That’s about where the good things end for the morning.

“Good morning everyone!”

You freeze. Not long after she says this you suddenly feel a familiar pressure on your back, along with a set of arms wrapping around you.

“Good morning to you, Mr. Washington,” Elly says. “I really have to thank you for last night!”

You hear somebody immediately spitting out whatever she was drinking and a few others choking on their meal.

Shit. know who you were sleepin—er… sharing the bed with now.

“Pardon?” you ask, feigning ignorance.

“Why, last night, of course!” she says. “It was dark when I entered, and you were there, waiting for me.”

You were sleeping.

“I was nervous at first but you were so inviting,” WHY IS SHE PRESSING HERSELF CLOSER TO YOU?! “And then we lay together… and you were so warm…”

You can hear multiple buzzing sounds and practically feel the whole room vibrating with energy now.

“But when I woke up, you were gone!” She whispers the next part in your ear, but loud-enough that everyone can hear her. “Why did you steal a part of me and leave just like that, Wash?”







“...Elly?”

“Yes, Wash?”

“You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?”

This is gonna hurt.

Pichu~nnn

+++

Needless to say that you and Elly received quite the thrashing. Sekibanki went for you while Yuuka went for Elly.

Last you heard, Sekibanki was in the process of having her head imbedded into the wall by force of impact while Kagerou tried to run away, only for her to be caught by the tail.

“I should’ve kept her outside,” Yuuka says helps you back to a comfortable seat. “Sorry you had to deal with that.”

All you can do is offer a pathetic-sounding moan as you are lowered into the seat.

“I’ll be sure to be extra strict when I discipline Elly, so rest assured that this won’t happen again.”

You nod.

“Although I have to ask, how did you end up in Elly’s room in the first place?”

“...I didn’t read the plaque,” you say in your most deadpan tone.

“Hmm, I do keep telling Elly that she shouldn’t have made the font too hard to read…”

“Wait, there’s actually a plaque?”





“...Oh. Sorry Wash.”

Where did all of yesterday’s good luck go?

+++

You’re roused from your short nap when you feel something pulling at your arm. It’s hard, feels like wood, and is coiled around it.

Your eyes flutter open.

“Oh! Hi Wash!” Elly says.

[] “...” (Glare accusingly)

[] Call for help (Specify who to call)

[] “...nope.” (Just leave)
[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)

We don't need an adult. We are an adult!
[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)

So far, we've generally stared down danger right in the face, powered with nothing but sheer annoyance.
[x] “...nope.” (Just leave)

Nope, we're done.
>>196569
Made even more impressive by the fact that we can't even see what we're staring at
[x] “...” (Glare accusingly)
[x] “...” (Glare accusingly)
[x] “...” (Glare accusingly)

I think Elly can turn into a scythe Soul Eater style. Either that, or her scythe is alive, and we accidentally grabbed it instead of our staff.

I still think Weapon Elly would be cooler...
>>196575
But if Elly's the scythe, who's the meister?
>>196576
Probably Yuuka, albeit not very often seeing as most people run away screaming. There's a small chance that she'll join Wash' party and replace his staff to make sure Yuuka's new friend doesn't die horribly in the next couple of days. Assuming she is a weapon, of course. Otherwise she probably just enjoys teasing people.
[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)

Words? Don't need 'em
Also, no offense V, but your updates often carry bunch of typos and missing words. Like so:
>Shit. know who you were sleepin—er… sharing the bed with now.

Personally, it doesn't really detract from the overall enjoyment, and frankly you're doing fine with the story so far. Still, I thought i'd offer a little input.
>>196582
Usually I go over each update before I post it but it just goes to show that I really have to be more thorough. I appreciate you pointing it out. Probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise that I may be short a few words.
File 149598717169.jpg - (73.76KB, 500x600, d70a495a1465c9ca71bcaf0bb65f5e5c.jpg) [iqdb]
196584
[x] Nope

We're so done
[] “...” (Glare accusingly)

Just glare at the problem until it leaves.
>>196576
Whoever she wants to be probably. I do hope she sticks around though. I like this Elly.

[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)
[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)
[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)

Why don't we have a seeing eye dog? I wish we had one even if we were a former Age of Sail guy.
>>196598
We have Kagerou, silly.
[X] “...” (Glare accusingly)
>>196600
She's 0 for 3 so far.
>>196603
Kagekage tried her best.
>>196610
So you are saying that Kagerou is a failure even at her best? Confirmed for worst girl.
>No, this was soft with a bit of firmness mixed in…
>…
>,,mmm. Appl—
>No!

Hmmm, Bad Apple. Very, very, bad indeed. Naughty, even.
Mmmm...
>>196616
You say failure, I say endearing clumsiness.

Still, Momimomi is the one true Awoo.
Sorry Kagerou, you can't win here.

This is Banki country
“...”

“Uh… Wash?”

“...”

“...is this about earlier?”

You narrow your eyes and deepen your frown.

“Oh come now, it was just a little harmless fun!”

You honestly have no idea why Elly considers being blasted by Yuuka to be fun.

“...what, can’t take a few lasers to your face?”

“...”

“Well, what do you want me to say?!”

Um, how about an ‘I’m sorry’? An apology would be nice but hell if you’re gonna make it easy for Elly by telling her.

“I didn’t know your friend was going to react like that, okay?”

Well neither did you but considering that this is the same girl who blew a hole in the mansion’s wall yesterday as part of her ‘rescue attempt’, you thought someone as ‘experienced’ as Elly would’ve taken the hint.

“S-So she got a little mad and attacked you. So what? It’s not the first time she did so, right?”

Not the point Elly.

“W-Well, it wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t decided to sleep in my bed!”

And you acknowledge that it was not your best decision but she was the one who decided to make a big deal out of it in front of everyone else. Also, as much as you wanted to avoid having a scene like that, well… You widen your eyes a little, emphasizing just how blank they are. Can she really blame you for not seeing the plaque?

“Well... I guess you can’t really see the plaque…”

“...”

“...F-Fine! I’m sorry, okay? I’m sorry for wanting to have a little f-fun for once!”

You drop you scowl for a more neutral expression and give her a thumb signal of approval.

“That was both the most one-sided and at the same time most intense conversation I’ve had in a very long time,” she sighs as you feel your arm being tugged again.

“I assume Yuuka’s not one for talking?”

“No, not really.” The tugging in your arm continues. “She used to be an absolute darling when she was younger. Always asking me to play, asking me to sing for her, the works…”

The tugging on your arm briefly ceases.

“...that’s always the hardest part. Watching them grow up. One moment you’re the whole world to them, next thing you know they’re pushing you away and looking for other people to hang out with…”

You remember Elly’s introduction from yesterday, when she called herself Yuuka’s caretaker. You guess that she wasn’t exaggerating when she called herself that.

“She’ll be picking fights with you, trying to distance herself from you...“

Elly... She's lonely too, isn't she?

“...eventually you just get too tired to fight back, try to keep her close, then she's leaving for days on end or just sleeping in the gardening shed with the flowers...”

You feel a weight on the right side of the chair, and fabric brushing against your hand. Elly sadly sighs while leaning against your chair.

“Is it so wrong of me to wish she acted like she did when she was younger, Wash? Before she got tired of always being with me?” she asks. “I know how hard it is for Yuukarin to meet other people and how lonely it makes her, and I want to help her, I really do, but...”

[] Anything you want to say to her?
[X] Hugs her.

whythehecknot
[x] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[x] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal.

Summary of problem:
Kid Yuuka was so adorable that it awakened Elly's latent maternal instincts. Now that Yuuka has grown up, Elly has no one to take care of. Yuuka on the other hand wants friends that aren't her mom and fangirl, and is super embarassed about both of them. We fit the bill perfectly, since we're not really afraid of her, nor do we don't look up or down on her.
[x] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[x] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal.

I'm afraid not even Youkai can turn the clock back. Just don't let regrets blind you of the way forward
[x] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[x] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal

Time to get babied by Elly
[x] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[x] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal.
[x] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[x] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal
[x] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[x] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal.

>>196635
Please don't get my hopes up.
[X] I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.
-[X] Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore. In other words, she wants friends who treat her as an equal.

This works.
You can deal with being blind, it’s not too much of a problem to adapt to the loss of your sight, but in situations like these, you hate the fact that you can’t access your memories. Maybe you’ve been in a similar situation like this before, maybe not, but your past experiences will help you either way.

You want to say something to Elly. As annoying as she is, it tugs at your heartstrings to hear the faint sniffle that escapes from her as she tells you of her current relationship with Yuuka.

Question is, what to say?

“...well, if it means anything, [x]I think you still mean a lot to her, probably more than she realizes.”

“Huh?”

“Well, you’re still living together, aren’t you?” You recall the few times you’ve been present when Yuuka interacted with Elly since you have nothing else to rely on. Every time, Yuuka’s efforts were focused on keeping Elly out of the room, restrained, or incapacitated, but never to fully eject her from the mansion. “If you don’t mean anything to Yuuka, why would she let you continue living in her mansion?”

“Well… that’s true,” she mumbles. “Though it doesn’t change the fact that she’s pushing me away whenever I try to spend time with her…”

At that, you simply shrug. “[x]Yuuka isn't a kid anymore, isn't she? She probably doesn't want to be babied anymore.” It’s actually really obvious, given how aggressive her reactions were. “In other words, she wants friends who treats her as an equal.”

Elly is silent for a long time. A very long time.

...so long that for a minute, you’re afraid that you might have crossed a line somewhere even though she was the one who came to you for advice.

“...treats her as an equal…?”







“...of course!” she exclaims.

Then the weight on your armrest disappears and you hear footsteps make their way away from you.

“Elly?” you cautiously say.

“...I think I figured something out, Wash. I’ll be back in a bit.”

The footsteps resume and gradually fade away until you hear Elly throw the door open.

“HEY! YUUKA!”

“Wha—”

You then hear a sound that can only be described as several tiles smashing all at once, and the very faint pichu~n that you’ve come to associate with Gensokyo’s magic completely demolishing a target.

You don’t hear anything else after that.





...What happened—

‘CRASH’

You hear the wall break and feel something being sent flying past you, kicking up dust and wind before slamming in an audibly painful manner into the wall behind you.

You turn towards the sound.

“Elly?”

“...uuugh…”

Yep. That’s her alright.

You stand, barely noticing the thing currently wrapped around your arm as you make your way to where you heard Elly hit the wall.

“Elly… what did you do?”

“...I shot Yuuka in the face.”





…’SLAP’

Your hand hits and slides down your face so hard that it almost hurts.

“N-No! You don’t get it,” she hastily says. “Yuuka used her Master Spark on me!”

“...” You stare at her, questioning why she’s saying this as though you know what she’s talking about.

“What? You said she wants a friend to treat her as an equal, right?”

“But when did treating someone as an equal mean that you have to shoot them in the face?!”



...

“...actually, considering what I’ve been through these past three days, nevermind. It was a stupid question.”

“Anyway…” You hear a few loose pieces of debris fall against the tiled floor as Elly’s footsteps approach you. “I’m gonna need this now.”

There it is again! That tug on your arm! Actually, what is this wooden thing wrapped around it anywa—

“Ow!!!” Elly’s really pulling hard now. She’s even propped her foot up against your hip and you feel your arm being raised and pulled rather harshly. To make matters worse, whatever this thing around your arm is, it’s actually getting tighter!

“Holy shit Elly! Stop!” you say as she gives your arm another painful pull. You feel the tugging lessen a bit and take that opportunity to quickly step away from Elly.

“Elly? What the hell is this on my arm?”

“...remember when I said earlier that you stole a part of me?”

Oh, God.

“I wasn’t lying. My scythe is wrapped around your arm now.”

+++

“I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU BUT NONE OF YOU ASSHOLES BELIEVED ME!”

Turns out the reason why Kagerou was so freaked out by your staff earlier was because it wasn’t your staff. You accidentally grabbed Elly’s scythe and Kagerou was freaked out by it.

“How did I not notice it though? I didn’t feel any blades on it.”

“Didn’t look like a scythe either when Wash came in earlier,” Keine adds.

“Elly’s scythe was made with wood from an Apple tree that turned into a youkai,” Yuuka says. “Basically, it’s alive, can change form, and has taken a liking to Wash.”

“Akane-chan, let go already!” Elly says as she continues to yank your arm.

You turn towards where you last heard Yuuka and raise an eyebrow.

“Some kind of Apple,” she says. “She only named it recently”

As Elly continues pulling, you feel a sharp jerk on your arm, the wood tightening, and Elly’s yelp as she audibly lands on the floor. You feel the wood snake its way up your arm until you feel something rest on your shoulders. Admittedly you find this a bit unnerving.

You hear paper crinkling and feel a piece being dropped from your shoulder, which you then hear being snatched up.

“A letter of resignation?!” Elly screeches. “But why?!”

“Give me that.” You hear the paper crinkle again as Yuuka snatches the…

Wait. A scythe just handed in a letter of resignation.



...

...Nope. Don’t bother thinking too hard about it.

“Read the fine print, Elly. It’s a letter asking for a leave.”

“WHAT? A leave?! Where does a scythe go when its on leave?!”

You feel something tap your head.

“...I honestly expected you to go for Komachi,” Elly says.

“I’m not surprised,” Yuuka says. “Was only a matter of time until even your scythe got tired of you Elly.”

“...’sniff’.”

“Oh, Elly I didn’t mean it like—”

A series of loud and rapid footsteps approach and Elly grazes past you, running.





...Whatever happened to just going underground?

+++

[] Better go check on Elly.

[] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”
Oh god what. LMAO.

[x] Better go check on Elly.
[X] Better go check on Elly.

We have a blade now. Next step is to channel Ichi.
[x] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”
And with this, the reconciliation will be complete. Speaking of "will"...

>Maybe you’ve been in a similar situation like this before, maybe not, but your past experiences will help you either way.

Don't you mean "would"?
[x] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”

I have a feeling the rails were never here to begin with, but we're off them anyways.
[x] Better go check on Elly.
-[x] Go with Yuuka.

We're blind, remember?

Elly needs to learn some restraint if she wants her relationship with Yuuka to improve. Luckily she's mostly the one at fault here, so all she needs to do is change her attitude and talk it out with Yuuka and the problem should be resolved.

And for future reference, let's take this experience into account and always ask ourselves "will this result in a danmaku battle?" before giving out relationship advice.
>>196682
But Ichi uses a katana

Unless the scythe can turn into one which would be nice. It'll be like having Tsubaki except without the hot body
[x] Better go check on Elly.
-[x] Go with Yuuka.
[x] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”

I feel like this is the best option. Elly basically already opened up to Wash, so Yuuka going to talk to her will almost certainly end up the same. Probably.
[X] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”

Well this is an odd development.
[x] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”
[x] Better go check on Elly.
-[x] Go with Yuuka. She needs to apologize.

They're gonna need a third party to keep this emotional train on the rails.
[X] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”

Wow Yuuka, that was mean as hell even for you.
[X] “What are you waiting for, Yuuka? Go apologize.”

No need to do someone elses job for them right now.
On one hand, you can understand from your earlier experience why someone would get tired of Elly. You recall her mischief from earlier and how she decided to go about showing old pictures of Yuuka to your companions while they waited. You can’t say for certain that you know Elly to be like this all the time but, apart from her earlier confession, her actions have been a bit telling of how she acts. You’re honestly not that surprised that someone would want to take a break from her.

On the other hand, she just spilled her guts out to you about how she’s been trying to close the gap between her and Yuuka despite Yuuka’s low tolerance of her and efforts to keep her away. She confided to you an issue that she should have discussed with someone that she didn’t meet just yesterday, but maybe you’re the only one she could’ve confided in? Maybe there was no one else close enough to confide to because the only other person like that is the problem.

You only have one thing to say.

“Wow Yuuka, that was mean as hell.”

You hear a dull thud, as though someone dropped to their knees.

“I… I know.” You almost miss her mumbled: “I’m such an idiot.”







...no sound of footsteps, no door opening. Hell, she’s still just kneeling there!

“What are you waiting for, Yuuka?” you say in your most assertive voice. “Go apologize.”

“...I know.”

You hear some shuffling as Yuuka stands up and footsteps as she walks away. Using that as your reference, you silently follow her through the halls of the mansion. Unfortunately, Elly’s scythe is still coiled around your neck, so you’re forced to make do with your hands slightly outstretched to feel for obstacles.

Your hands completely miss the table, though. Holy shit your side hurts now!

There’s something else, though, rather a lack of it. You can’t hear Yuuka’s footsteps anymore, but you can hear the very faint sound of sniffling.

Somebody (probably Yuuka) knocks on a door and the sniffling momentarily stops.

“...Elly?” Yuuka cautiously says.

You hear Yuuka fumbling with the doorknob and make your way to the sound of Yuuka opening the door. Before you can step through, however, you feel the wooden scythe shift and you’re stopped at the door when the scythe puts one end against it.

Even though you can see it or speak with it, it's message is clear. Whatever’s going on in there is gonna be Yuuka’s show all throughout.

“Elly,” Yuuka says while you lean yourself against the wall, outside of the room.

She doesn't reply.

“Talk to me. Please.”

Again, no response. Yuuka sighs.

“I went overboard. There, I admit it. Will you talk to me now? So we can work this out?”

...

“Oh, come one! Are you still mad about it?”

...

“Well, what did you expect?! Every day it’s the same thing with you! Yuuka, do this! Yuuka, let’s do that! Yuuka, wear this cute dress for me! And you keep sneaking into my bed at night! You keep smothering me!”

Elly is still silent.

“And every time I have someone over! You offered Wriggle a threesome, you’ve molested Marisa, and now this thing with Wash!”



“Is it really so surprising that eventually maybe I’d get tired of it!? Your own scythe might get tired of it?! Don’t you have anyone else to subject to that bullshit?!”

“...”

...

...

...you sigh and pinch the bridge of your nose.

“...Oh. I... I guess not.”

...

“But why? Why don’t you just go out there and…”

...

“...oh. The rumors.”

...

“...so I’m not the only one here who’s screwed over by the rumors... So what? What… What do you want me to do about it?!”

Elly says something under her breath. It’s soft, but you can just barely hear her say: “...I just want my Yuukarin back.” You’re certain Yuuka heard it.

“I… I just want my best friend back,” she says, voice quivering now.

Yuuka too begins to sniffle, and you take that as your cue to leave. As you walk away from the door, you can hear both girls break down crying. Something inside you tells you to go and try to do something to cheer them up, something to make the heart-wrenching sound of their sobs go away.

You... You hate it when people cry.

However, something else inside you—something more logical—tells you that you can’t interfere here. As painful as it is for the both of them to be bawling like that there’s gonna more progress with them working out their differences with each other than with you, an outsider who’s only known them for a day.

You remind yourself that, in the end, you know just as much about these two women as they know about you—hell, as much as you know yourself—and that you’re still a long way from being as remotely important to Elly and Yuuka as they are to each other.

It’s a bittersweet thought, but it’s true. At least you got them talking seriously.

So, rather than intruding upon their private moment, you find yourself retracing your steps back to the room where you last remember Keine and Kagerou being, expression solemn.

...

...

...and then you hit your side against the table again. FUCK!

+++

So, Yuuka and Elly are still preoccupied working with each other so you decide to try to get yourself back on the task you’ve temporarily set aside: Going back underground. You decide to find one of your companions.

[] Kagerou. Looks like you owe her an apology for not believing her earlier.

[] Keine. At this point, you feel like you really need to talk to someone who has their shit sorted out (as far as you know).

[] Sekibanki. Last you heard, Keine was in the process of embedding her head in the wall.
[X] Sekibanki. Last you heard, Keine was in the process of embedding her head in the wall.

Bring sexy back.
[X] Sekibanki. Last you heard, Keine was in the process of embedding her head in the wall.

>>196741
I understood that reference.
>>196742
What reference?
[X] Sekibanki. Last you heard, Keine was in the process of embedding her head in the wall.
>>196743
"Bringing sexy back" is a story in /shorts/ featuring Sekibanki. You should read it to get the joke, its length is less than a single update here. Otherwise, the plot is about the Harry Potter cast trying to bring 70s fashion back.
[X] Keine. At this point, you feel like you really need to talk to someone who has their shit sorted out (as far as you know).
[X] Kagerou. Looks like you owe her an apology for not believing her earlier.

Should probably say sorry.
[x] Kagerou. Looks like you owe her an apology for not believing her earlier.
[X] Keine. At this point, you feel like you really need to talk to someone who has their shit sorted out (as far as you know).

We've still barely talked to her.
[x] Sekibanki. Last you heard, Keine was in the process of embedding her head in the wall.

Poor girls... but yeah, this is a family issue. Now we should see if Seki is going to have to replace her current head or something.
[x] Keine. At this point, you feel like you really need to talk to someone who has their shit sorted out (as far as you know).

>>196741
My monitor doesn't drink coffee dammit.
>>196747
Just read it. At first you think 'wait, what does this have to do with Touhou?'

Then at the end of it you're like 'I really should have seen that coming.'

Cheers Luna. Never change.
[X] Sekibanki. Last you heard, Keine was in the process of embedding her head in the wall.

Probably ought to give her a hand with that.
[x] Keine. At this point, you feel like you really need to talk to someone who has their shit sorted out (as far as you know).

Time to find out what Keine's issues are.
>>196797
If she has any
>>196799
Idk man, it seems that she's pretty obsessed with headbutting people, which might indicate that she's way into butts and heads.
File 149673308822.jpg - (24.50KB, 500x304, old-biff-tannen-butthead.jpg) [iqdb]
196821
>>196820
...Butts and Heads you say?
Walking around with your hands outstretched feels silly and makes you feel stupid, but it’s something you have to do if it means avoiding running into anything potentially valuable or fragile. This isn’t your house, after all.

However, there’s something about tables that always seem to elude you because you smash your hip into another one as you continue through the mansion interior. Maybe it’s because they tend to be at hip level?

It comes to the point where you feel the wooden shaft of Elly’s scythe snaking down from your shoulders and wrapping part of itself around your wrist. Eyebrow raised, you prod experimentally in front of you and find it tapping against a table.

“You could’ve done that earlier?”

You feel the wood shift it’s grip on your wrist a little, but if this is an attempt to communicate then you cannot make heads or tails of it.

“Can you at least find Sekibanki?” God, you will never get used to talking to a stick! “Red hair. Bow. You know her from earlier.”

The scythe (Akane, was it?) tightens lightly at your wrist and gently tugs your arm as you walk. Occasionally, it presses the tip wrapped around your wrist to one side of it to indicate the direction.

You… You actually find this a bit helpful. Before, it was all guesswork and using your staff to prod at your surroundings until a clear route was mapped out in your head. With Akane offering you guidance, it feels more akin to when you are being led around be one of the girls but with more freedom and decision-making on your part.

You’re taken through the route you were prepared to retrace (and did until the second collision with a table prompted the scythe to reposition to your wrist) until the doorway that lead to Kagerou and Keine. Instead you’re guided through to another door, which you push and let swing open—

“Oh fuck, nononono— OW!”

...you place a hand at the level of the knob and gently swing it until it nears the wall. There, the back of your hand makes contact with something fleshy and slightly teary.

“This is karma for blasting you, isn’t it?”

“Well, all things considered, blasting me was completely unnecessary, Sekibanki,” you reply.

The severed head (where’s her body?) scoffs. “Perverts deserve to be punished.”

“I didn’t really sleep with her.”

“Yes, you did,” she fires back.

“...I’ll elaborate then. I did not have sex with her.”

You have no idea how it’s possible if Sekibanki’s head isn’t connected to her lungs, but she actually chokes and sputters.

“Of all the damn things you could retain in that banged-up head of yours… Have you no delicacy?”

You shrug. “I don’t see the problem.”

Sekibanki sighs. “Looks like that cannon blew out more than that eye…”

She mumbles this under her breath, but you’re now rapt with attention as a tingling sensation comes from a few of your scars. You quickly drop down to a knee and fix a stare in the direction of Sekibanki’s voice. She bites back a curse, confirming to you that she slipped-up and was not supposed to say that.

“Cannon? What cannon?” you ask, unseeing eyes narrowed.

“Oh, uh…”

“How are you so sure that this,” you run your hand over your scarred eyes, “Is from a cannon?”

“I—Uh… Well… Remember how I said that I hopped on a ship at some point?”

You nod.

“Yeah... I saw wounds like that before. Your left eye? Series of small scars and a large one?”

“I felt it, yes.”

“Splinters, shrapnel, that kind of stuff. Saw it happen to some guy when I was on that ship going here.”

Splinters and shrapnel, huh? As hard as you try, you cannot bring up any memories related to that. Your eyes still have a dull throb going on though, so that’s gotta mean something.

“You never told me what kind of ship you hopped on,” you say as you lower yourself to sit beside where her head is embedded in the wall. “What kind of passenger ship would be shot at with cannons?”

“I don’t know Wash. You tell me.”

“I asked first.”

“That’s a bit of a personal question you’re asking, though.”

Well, it’s curiosity. Sekibanki is literally the first person you remember meeting for the time being, so is it really so strange that you want to get to know her more? Also, her discussion with Keine from a few nights ago still weighs in your mind.

Sekibanki does have a point though. You’re starting to ask some personal questions and Sekibanki isn’t even…





...Does she even see you as a friend?



...how will you approach this topic?

[] “Well, you did kinda shoot me up earlier…”

[] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”

[] Write-In
COME ON DUDE YOU LITERALLY DREAMED THIS LAST NIGHT. YOU ESCORTING A GIRL FROM YOUR SHIP TO ANOTHER AND THEN GETTING BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

Em, sorry. I blame the lack of Angry Marines stories.

Anyway,
[X] We're friends, aren't we?
[X] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”
[X] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”
>>196831
He can't directly remember though, right?
[x] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”
[X] We're friends, aren't we?
-[X] And if you don't think we're one, then, well, I'd love to be your friend.

cheese.png

By the way, at which point did Seki realized that she and Wash has met before Gensokyo?
[X] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”

Come on Banki, you know you want to.
[X] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”

inb4 she says no.
>>196838
>“His name is Washington, right?”

>“Irving Washington. Not the other way around.” she says. “Did you know him?”

>“Let’s just say he’s the reason I ended up in Gensokyo in the first place.”

I dunno. Was she referring exclusively to our Wash here or to Washington Irving?
>>196845
Pretty sure thet're the same person, unless you count amnesiac Irving Wash as separate entity to sailor Irving Wash.
>Not the other way around
That probably refers to Japanese Surname-Firstname format (in contrast to Western Firstname-surname).
>>196851
Then again, it's been mentioned that Sekibanki is Irish, right? Wouldn't that mean she's used to the western surname scheme?

Also, all things considered I can see why Washington Irving would be a reason for her to wind up in Gensokyo.
[X] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”
[X] “Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”
This prompted me to read about the real Irving Washington and, not only he was a very interesting person that basically brought the old world literature to the new world (and encouraged young authors to join him, like Edgar Allan fucking Por) and turned into basically the patron saint of NY (Sign him up for the Knicks!) but also mysteriously retired after serving as a diplomat in Spain during one of their most turbulent periods.

This fits so well with what we know that I think that, either the author planned ahead, or he's the luckiest person in the planet.
>>196894
Well, Washington Irving (not the other way around) was alluded to in Thread 1. Name was something anon came up with though so who knows? Might be lucky, might just be using what he's given.
>>196894
He was also one of the first (if not the first) writers to earn their living solely by writing, was very encouraging of would-be writers and usually wrote simply to entertain instead of enlighten (which he was sometimes criticized for).
File 149702878291.png - (366.18KB, 600x790, More Banki.png) [iqdb]
196927
“[x]Well, we’re friends, aren’t we?”

...

...

“What?”

“At least, I like to think so,” you say. “I really do. First impressions aside, it’s never a dull moment with you and I wouldn’t mind having more of those.”

“Well—”

“You haven’t exactly objected to my company so far, and were perfectly willing to blow a hole through Yuuka’s mansion because you thought Kagerou left me to the wolves—”





“...I did not mean to do that.”

Horrible pun aside, you recall your current memories of Sekibanki where, to be precise, you’ve been yelled at, tricked and shot at (twice!) by her, but other than those moments she—like Keine—has been surprisingly accommodating of you. True, you two haven’t exactly bonded a lot, but there’s more than enough time for you two to do that.

You hope that maybe, just maybe, your conversations can be about more than her just telling you what to do and not do as she leads you.

“...Friends, huh?” she says. “Is that what you think we are? What you think I want us to be?”

You shrug, although you’re not sure if she can see you since her head is still embedded in the wall. “Doesn’t matter what I think. You’re the one I’m looking for an answer from.”

The dullahan is silent for a good thirty seconds as she processes your statement and goes over her decision.

“Fuck it,” she says. “Why not.”

You smile. “I’m glad.”

“Don’t flatter yourself. It’s only because I know that Wakasagihime will slap me if she finds out I turned down a potential new friend.”

Of course.

Still, it’s a start.

“So… The ship? How’d you know what made these scars”

Sekibanki hesitates for a moment, you can hear the faint words begin to form before she bites them back a few times until she finally does speak. “Morrigan, I think, or was it..? I forgot the name,” she says. “My ship got attacked at one point. Seen your injuries on some of the crew. That’s how I know.”

“That’s it?”

“Yes.”

“You sure?” Can’t help but shake this feeling that there’s more to this story! Then again, it could be just you being paranoid.

“What, do you want my life story or something? Gods, Wash! Slow down!”

Well, maybe you’ll ask again some other time. It’ll be better for this friendship if you don’t constantly prod her for information. For now…

“Let’s see if we can loosen you up,” you say as you stand, feeling for Sekibanki’s head on the wall.

“...be gentle.”

Your fingers brush over the smooth skin of her cheek and make their way back to where the back of her head is embedded. Her ears are in the hole and you don’t have much to grip other than her hair, but you try to pull nonetheless.

“Fuck, FUCK! STOP!” she wails. You immediately halt your attempts.

“...This isn’t working.”

“No shit,” she says. “See if you can chip away at the edges. Try not to hit me.”

You narrow your eyes at her.

“I didn’t say watch where you’re thrusting, I said to try not to hit me. However you avoid hitting me is entirely up to you.”

You raise a hand to feel around the edges of the hole, contemplating the best way to remove Sekibanki’s head. It’s too deep to pull her out, but chipping away at the edges gave the risk of accidentally striking Sekibanki...

...well striking the edges are out of the question, but what about cutting it?

“You. You’re a scythe, right?” you ask as you lift Akane, who is still partially wrapped around your wrist. “Can you do something about this?”

The shaft tightens ever so slightly around your wrist, but it’s unclear whether this is a yes or no.

“Wash? That’s a stick. Why are you— Holy shit!”

You feel a subtle shift and hear a dull ‘thunk’. Akane pulls your arms up and, feeling resistance when you try to move it, conclude that it sprouted its blade stabbed itself into the wall.

“Wash? What. The. Fuck.”

You shrug. “It’s a long story. Turns out Elly’s not completely full of bullshit.” you grasp the scythe near the blade. “Try not to figdet.”

“Shit!”

You push against the shaft of the scythe and begin to attempt to cut the portion of the wall out. The wall gives way easily, enough to make you worried that you may accidentally cut Sekibanki, but the scythe shifts in your grip. You feel it twisting and bending, using those as a guide for which way to direct your effort.

Sekibanki whimpers as you begin pushing the blade downwards, and from there decides to hold her breath when the blade passes under where her neck would be.

You shift the path of the living scythe around a little more until you finally feel the resistance suddenly cease. Moving your hand down down further you find that the blade has been concealed again—

“Fuckfuckfuck— OW!” A dull ‘thud’ and the sound of something shattering upon impact tells you that maybe you should’ve tried anticipating that Sekibanki would fall.

“Sorry.”

You really are.

“Forget about it,” you feel her levitating head, now free from what little pieces of wall were still stuck to her, nudging you forward from behind. ‘Let’s just find my body”

+++

According to Sekibanki, she last saw her body being dragged away from where her head was embedded in the wall after Keine dragged her off to be reprimanded, so you both decide to search for Keine, or maybe even Kagerou.

Speaking of Keine, you recall just how deeply embedded Sekibanki’s head was. You consider that Keine accomplishes this with headbutts and have to supress a shiver at the thought of being on the receiving end of one.

“Has anyone ever died from one of those?”

“No.”

Bullshit.

“Not even one?”

“Not even one. She uses it on her students, so it’s fine.”

That. That stops you in your tracks.

Keine.

Headbutts strong enough to embed a Dullahan’s head into the wall.

She uses it on her students.

Children.

“...You know what? I don’t think I want to know anymore.”

“That’s what the parents said after too after she caved that feral youkai once.”

...Yep. Definitely don’t want to know!

With that final thought, you and Sekibanki make your way to Keine and Kagerou and for once you don’t have to rely on Sekibanki for guidance! Akane proves to be just as effective a guide as it is a scythe.

Sekibanki grumbles something when she sees you walking unassisted by her, but you just can’t seem to decipher it. You’re grateful that, of all the sentient scythes you could’ve gotten attached to you (Holy shit that’s one sentence you don’t think about every day), it happened to be one that knew its way around the mansion. It’s only two turns and passing through a door before you encounter Sekibanki’s body.

“Hey!” Sekibanki says, “Why is my body being forced to do seiza?!”

Seiza… Doesn’t sound familiar but you assume that it’s painful. That or highly unpleasant at the least.

The clinking of glasses is the only reply that Sekibanki gets. You can smell something fragrant too. Smells like tea. You can also hear Kagero growling a little while Akane subtly tightens around your wrist.

“Glad to see that you’re doing well, Wash,” Keine says.

You mutter your thanks as you feel something zip past you.

“Mmpf..! Don jusht shtand dere, help me!” Slightly muffled voice, as though there’s something in her mouth… Grunts of exertion...

...is Sekibanki chewing on rope?!

“Wash?” Keine asks you.

You shrug and make your way to the sound of Sekibanki’s struggles. “We’re good now,” is all you say to Keine.

Slowly treading forward with Akane held out, you feel the scythe stiffen as it comes into contact with something. Kneeling down, you tentatively reach out and feel the familiar fabric of Sekibanki’s cape. You gently poke and prod her, trying to get an idea of where the ropes are so you can help until her body squirms and Seki’s head reprimands you for poking her so much.

Complaints aside, you’ve soon got the ropes cut and Sekibanki’s body freed. From what you could gather, she was forced into an uncomfortable kneeling position and had a stack of heavy books resting on her lap.

“It’s penance,” Keine nonchalantly says when you question her.

Right…

+++

Since yesterday, you’ve been in Yuuka’s mansion giving life advice, confirming a friendship, being blasted due to a misunderstanding, and eating sunflower seeds.

Now, you stand at the front door of the mansion with your company waiting outside while Yuuka and Elly see you off.

“I do hope you’ll come visit again, Wash,” Yuuka says, sounding a bit more relaxed that you recall her sounding since you’ve met her. Elly hums in agreement from directly beside Yuuka, which brings a smile to you face. Sounds like they were able to work something out. You won’t pry, though.

“I will,” you say. “Thank you for hosting us.”

“No, thank YOU for not running away the moment I appeared!”

...Holy shit she sounds so casual when she says it! Was it really that bad for her?

“Well, good luck,” Elly says, “and thank you.”

She then gently grabs your hand and places a familiar wooden shaft in your grip while grabbing the one currently wrapped around your arm.

“Well, we won’t hold you up any further,” she says. “Let’s go, Akane chan.”

You suddenly feel a sharp tug on your other arm and feel the sentient wooden scythe wrap one end tighter around your wrist.

...

“...oh my Gods, you were serious,” Elly says, her voice suddenly dropping to a bland tone.

“Well, she did present a formal letter” Yuuka adds.

...oh. This is about the scythe.

“Should I… Should I be worried?” you ask. “Considering how it’s wrapped around my arm and all?”

“That depends,” Yuuka says. “On one hand, Akane is sure to be more useful than a plain staff. On the other hand you would be leaving with my Gatekeeper’s weapon.”

“And I need Akane-chan!” Elly whines.

“What about Kurumi?” Yuuka asks.

“She’s out visiting some cousin of hers. Besides, you know she hates turning into a scythe.”

“Think about it though. With a scythe like Akane, Wash wouldn’t have to constantly rely on others to hold his hand. He might even be able to better defend himself since he can rely on more than his senses.”

“Admittedly, I really do find it easier than with my old staff, much as I’d rather not part with it,” you say.

Honest. It really is easier.

“Er… Well… You could try turning your staff into a Tsukumogami?”

“Elly…”

“A what?” you ask.

“Basically give it life like Akane, except a bit more animate,” Elly says.

“In other words, there’s the chance that it will eventually manifest a human form and attack Wash,” Yuuka counters.

“Only if he’s been mistreating it, which I’m sure he hasn’t. Besides, it’ll still be able to assume the form of a staff so no worries there.”

“...You can do that?”

...oh, wait. You’re in Gensokyo, where rabbits come from the moon, easily-embarrassed werewolves roam, the local healer can cure blindness, and you can make friends with a Dullahan.

“Nevermind. Forget I asked that.”

“And the leave?” Yuuka asks.

“I’ll take Akane somewhere nice and be sure to keep my mouth shut,” Elly replies.

You feel Akane’s coil loosen ever so slightly, as if considering Elly’s offer.

Yuuka sighs. “Well Wash? What’s your take on this?”

[] Bring Akane with you and leave your staff with Elly so she at least has something to use. You’ll miss the staff but things will be easier for you with Akane.

[] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?

I have to admit, Akane has really grown on me. That said, rather than just take her with us I want to see what she wants to do. It seems everyone keeps trying to make the decisions for her.
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?

You know how the saying goes, 'If you love something you've gotta let it go on vacation every once in a while'.
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?

Up to her. I really like her, but you know what they say

"If you like them, set them free"
[X] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.

Prefer not to deprive Elly of her scythe.
>>196933
Plus the Soul Eater reference!
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?
>>196927
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?

I mean yeah it's a nice idea but doesn't becoming a tsukumogami take like, 100 years to happen? Unless theres a way to force it which I don't see being a good idea.
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?
[X] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.
>>196940
Well, the Tsukumo sisters and Raiko were originally tsukumogami created by the Miracle Mallet and they turned out just fine.

I hesitate to suggest Kosuzu's Night Parade scroll since we haven't seen the conclusion of that part yet.
[x] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.
[x] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.

> asking the scythe

I don't remember Akane asking Wash. So saying 'thanks but no thanks' is entirely within reason.
>>196963
Can Akane even communicate properly with Wash at all? No visual or audio cues to rely on and no telepathy-type stuff either.
>>196927
[X] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.

Tsukumogami
>>196972
Well, she wrote a letter of resignation, so there's nothing stopping her from writing something and having someone read it.
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?
[X] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.

I like Akane, but I want to see what an awakened staff would be like.
>>196990

Watch any porn involving a man and something else.
>>196990
>>196995
Alternatively just watch Soul Eater
[x] Keep your staff. The tsukumogami idea sounds interesting and as tempting as Akane is, you just don’t feel comfortable parting with your staff yet.


May I suggest toning down the use of ellipses? Ctrl+Fing this thread for "..." gives us a whopping 171 matches. Reading through, 80% of the time they're used they could just be eliminated or replaced with a period for absolutely no loss, particularly when they come at the beginning of a sentence.
Isn't one of the requirements for an object to become a Tsukumogami that it needs to be 100 years old?
>>197005
Not really. Two bosses and the extra stage boss from Double Dealing Character got turned into Tsukumogami by the Miracle Mallet.

Might seem like a bit much to go through but we can't have Wash rely on Sekibanki or Keine to guide him around forever.
>>197002
I'll keep that in mind.
[X] That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane-chan's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?
File 149737036070.jpg - (137.17KB, 850x1512, Why Kagerou Does Not Like Living Scythes.jpg) [iqdb]
197071
You just shrug. “[X]That's a nice idea and all but what's Akane's thoughts on this? What does she want to do?”

...

...

“...did I say something wrong?”

“No! No. Just… Now that I think about it we haven’t really asked her that,” Yuuka says. “Can’t remember the last time we did. Elly?”

“Nope. I think this might be the first time actually.”

“Then let’s just ask—”

.

...wait a minute.

Rewind.

“Did you just say that you’ve never asked her for her opinion until now?”

“Uh, yes?”

“...you mean to tell me that this scythe you’ve been working with all this time, which is alive, and you’ve never once asked for her opinion?”

“...yeah?”

.

.

You have no words. All you can bear to do is throw your most disapproving expression down Elly and Yuuka’s direction.

“...”

“Oh, no he’s doing it again,” Elly mumbles. “Avert your eyes Yuuka!”

“Why? What’s wrong with— Actually, yeah. It’s kinda creepy.”

“...”

The sound of a light slap comes from Yuuka. “Elly, stop trying to turn my head away. Wash, seriously. I know you can’t see me, so—”

“...”

“—Okay fine, we should’ve considered her more! I’m sorry!”

“Oh, dammit fine! I’m sorry too!”

You hear Sekibanki give you an impressed whistle from outside.

“Don’t apologize to me,” you say as you hold up your arm.

“We’re sorry, Akane-chan!” you hear the both of them say.

Honestly. Living scythe’s been with her for how long?

Not even asking for an opinion. Wow.

Unbelievable.

You feel a few movements on your arm as Akane shifts around, most likely gesturing her response to the two. It’s a moment you tell yourself to appreciate; someone communicating without being able to say a word and having to rely on intricate gestures to get their message across, made more impressive (and somewhat questionable) by the fact that it’s a living scythe doing all this.

Unfortunately, while you can appreciate it, you still can’t see a damn thing.

“What did she say?”

“She still wants some time off,” Yuuka says, but she’s willing to give Elly another shot if you’re not going to take her with you.”

“So basically, it’s Akane’s choice between going with me, a complete stranger she only met in the morning, and Elly.”

“Yes.”

+++

Minutes later, you’re on your merry way with the three girls plus living scythe while Elly cries out in the distance.

You’d feel bad for her, but Akane will be going back to her after your tenure underground so hopefully it won’t be too long.

The living scythe is no longer wrapped around your wrist, but ramrod straight and much like your usual staff, which you left at Yuuka’s house so that Elly won’t be completely unarmed as a gatekeeper, bladeless as it is. You feel Akane move in a certain direction when she guides you, a pull forward to speed up, a light push back to slow down, and either side for where to turn.

Now, you don’t have to constantly rely on having Sekibanki dragging you along which is good.

On the other hand, Kagerou is not-so-quietly growling at Akane, which is not good.

“I already apologized for not believing you, Kagerou, so would you kindly stop growling at Akane?”

“Remember when I ran away from you earlier?”

“Yes?”

“Do you want to know why I freaked out?”

“Why?”

“It cut off some of my hair,” she grumbles.

“Sekibanki, is there a noticeable difference?”

Akane pushes against you hand and you slow to a halt. Sekibanki’s cape rustles as she (presumably) circles around the sound of Kagerou growling, most likely inspecting her hair.

.

.

.

“Nope. Nothing new here.”

“Shut up, Seki! It’s short now!” Kagerou cries.

“I thought you didn’t like how hairy you are,” She replies.

“Not like this! I don’t like how hairy I become during a full moon! I liked my hair the way it was!”

“Well, I think you look great,” you say.

“E-Eh? Do you really think so— Hey! Wait a minute!”

Sekibanki bursts out laughing as Kagerou grabs you by you collor and tries (keyword being ‘tries’) to shake you back and forth.

“Wash, you asshole!”

“I was just trying to make you feel better,” you shrug.

“I, for one, think you look great, Kagerou,” says Keine.

“Why, thank you, Keine. At least someone cares.”

You let out a tired sigh as you resume walking, this time with Keine beside you as Sekibanki continues to tease Kagerou.

“How are you holding up?” she asks.

“Doing fine, past events aside,” you casually say. “Why do you ask?”

“Do you want me to be honest or nice?”

“There’s a difference? Be honest.”

“Most people in your shoes would be dead by now.”

Pardon?

“Care to—” you suppress the urge to gulp nervously. “—care to elaborate?”

“Most outsiders panic. Depending on where they end up they either get done-in by the feral youkai or fall victim to their surroundings,” she says. “Sometimes they make it back out, sometimes they settle here, but those are the prominent outsiders. Ones who were noticed because of things they did while they were here.”

“...but the ones you don’t know about, ones that don’t make it to the village,” reason out.

“Rarely does a villager die because of the feral youkai, much less the reasonable ones or the surroundings. They’ve lived here too long to make those mistakes regularly, and yet the forests are alive and thriving because you can see the bones mixed into the roots.”

“Keine. Where are you going with this?”

“Nowhere. I just noticed how easily you’re able to absorb all this information, border and potion-induced amnesia notwithstanding. It’s almost as if you’ve been here before and it’s all subconsciously familiar.”

“Hahaha,” you laugh. “I wish I could tell you, if only I remembered.”

“Wouldn’t it be something though?”

Well, you can’t deny that it indeed would mean something.

+++

“So this is it?”

“Yep.”

“What does it look like?”

“Keine after she met that wiza—”

‘CRACK’

“For fucks saaaaaaake!”

Your guess? Cave. Would certainly explain why Sekibanki’s voice echoes as it flies away (and holy shit does it fly! Just how hard is Keine’s headbutts?!).

Well, this is it. Underground. Hopefully a place where you can restore your memories if the Satori doesn’t read your mind first, find something she doesn’t like in your memory, and order you to be eaten alive.

Happy thoughts.

What does a cave look like? It’s a bit hard to recall. Round-ish opening, usually, gaping blackness depending on how the sun shone—

“What does it look like?”

“Keine after she met that wiza—”


...

“Wash, are you okay? Your face looks a little flushed—”

You feel Keine place a hand on your forehead and unconsciously flinch.

“I’m fine,” you assure her as you gently remove her hand from her forehead. “Let’s go.”

Akane gently pulls and you begin to move forward, feeling the ground beneath you transition from loose dirt to weathered stone and the air drop slightly in temperature. The footsteps of your three companions (well, two companions and the third’s headless body, which clung to Kagerou) make your way through the cave.

Strangely enough, you don’t hear Sekibanki complaining at all about having her head launched off her body again, which will be problematic when searching for her.

“Keep an eye out for Seki,” you whisper to Akane, who tenses and twitches slightly in response.

So far, all’s going well until—

[] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?

[] Akane taps against something wooden and hollow. You bend down to pick it up...
[X] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?

I need my spidergirl fix.

A blind pirate(?), a space clone-soldier, a wizard, a wanderer posessed by an evil spirit, a priest to a nonexistent god, and a viking walks into a bar.
Man, if only.
>>197072
I'm starting to wonder if we should've named him Pew instead of Wash.
[X] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?

Why hello there Miss Kurodani.
[X] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?
>“So basically, it’s Akane’s choice between going with me, a complete stranger she only met in the morning, and Elly.”
>Minutes later, you’re on your merry way with the three girls plus living scythe while Elly cries out in the distance.
Yes perfect. That's exactly what I hoped would happen. 10/10.

[X] Akane taps against something wooden and hollow. You bend down to pick it up...

As much as I like spider, I can't actually remember a time where bucket loli had any sort of focus.

That and I'm pretty sure she doesn't speak either, so between the blind guy, a living scythe, and a mute bucket we have the beginnings of a bar joke. And that's before you account for the half-cow teacher, the sorta-dullahan, and the werewolf.
[X] Akane taps against something wooden and hollow. You bend down to pick it up...

bucket
File 149738202579.png - (86.36KB, 405x297, create_kisume.png) [iqdb]
197080
>>197077
Check "Kiss me" Six threads of SoL bucket.

[X] Wood
[X] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?
File 149738948590.jpg - (135.53KB, 494x710, maybe something is wrong with me.jpg) [iqdb]
197085
>>197080
Oh shit, you're right. Completely forgot about that one.

I guess I too am part of the problem.
[X] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?

>>197072
Name those references for claritys sake?
[x] You step on something oddly sticky, pressed against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?

Because Yamame Has No Updates, while Kissu Me Has An Entire Story.

>>197086

Time for me to do the thing again.

> a space clone-soldier

AE-51262 from Don't Lose Your Head! by Clear Your Sights.

> a wizard

'ZUUL' from A Wizard is You by Demetrious.

> a wanderer posessed by an evil spirit

Garion from Tenshi Is in This Story by YAF.

> a priest to a nonexistent god

Sounds familiar, but I can't come up with a name, sorry.

> a viking walks into a bar

Probably something to do with Gensokyoland Saga, but I still haven't read it.
> a priest to a nonexistent god
Paranseberi, Yamame Has No Gods.
> a viking
Gensokyoland saga indeed.
>>197091
>>197092
Many thanks.
>>197091
>>197092
The real question is how many of those are still active?
[X] Akane taps against something wooden and hollow. You bend down to pick it up.

I want a bucket loli.
>>197096
Of the five, two are completed (TiTS, DLYH), two are abandoned (AWiY, GS) and one is ongoing (Yamame Kurodani HNG)

As a side note, two out of the five have some kind of wordplay with their names. They have no relation to each other besides the writing style and the setting.
>>197092
> failed to identify a story I just mentioned

I'll be over in the corner wearing a pointy hat.
File 149762468641.jpg - (173.68KB, 850x1020, __kurodani_yamame_touhou_drawn_by_hizikinn__sample.jpg) [iqdb]
197106
[X] You step on something oddly sticky, flat-enough against the ground that Akane probably didn’t notice it. It feels… threadlike?

“Oh, son of a bi—”

Your muttered curse is cut short as your foot, which is firmly stuck to the strange thread, is yanked out from under you. Aka every slips from your grip and you hear her clatter to the ground as you’re forced through several more layers of the sticky substance in your ascent.

By the time you stop, you’re unable to do anything but flail due to your arms and legs being bound. At one point, you got a face full of the stuff too so you can’t speak either. This is the second fucking time that you’ve been hung upside-down and now you can’t even shout for help—

‘Zzzzz…’

Oh, God.

‘Zzzzz…’

Not again!

“Zzzzz… Mmm, what a tasty snack,” the voice mumbles, a bit too slurred to be coherent, but that’s not concerns you.

No, what’s concerning is that, through the fabric, of your shirt and what thread is wrapped around you, you can feel a set of hands snaking over your shoulder to your front. You faintly feel two things being pressed against your back.

“Mmm!”

Meanwhile you can hear Kagerou and Keine below you.

“Where’s Wash?” Kagerou asks.

“Probably went ahead. He has Akane guiding him so he should be fine.”

“I hope so— GAH!!!”

“Mmm!” you futily struggle against your bonds as the embrace you’ve found yourself in tightens.

“Kagerou! What happened?”

“This stupid scythe just tried to cut my foot!”

“Wait, if Akane is here, where’s Wash?”

“Now that I think about it, where’s Seki’s head?”

You curse, but all that comes out from your bound mouth are low-pitched groans as you continue to try to shake yourself free.

What the hell is this stuff made of?!

“Zzzz… Hmm… So hungryyy,” the sleepy voice murmurs into your ear—

“Mmpf!” Your struggle resumes with renewed vigor as you feel something soft and wet going up the back of your neck. You’ve already been through Elly back when you woke up, you do NOT need some mystery girl licking—

“MMMM!!!” Holy shit! She’s biting now!

“Wait, what’s that Akane?” you hear Keine ask.

“Keine? Why is her blade pointing up now?”

“I don’t know.”

Jesus, Keine! Hurry! You’re bleeding at this point and the girl has taken to licking your wound now!

“Wait… What if—”

You feel something rush past you and feel something give out from above. “What the WHAT?!” your mystery molester screeches as the two of you begin to plummet—

‘CRACK!’

+++

‘Do you really have to go?’

Well, it’s not like you’re needed here. All things considered you doubt you’re even wanted.

‘That’s not true! WE need you here! I want you to stay!’

Well, it’s not like you’ll be gone long.

‘It’ll be too long.’

You’ll be back.

‘You better be.’


+++

The first thing that comes to mind as you come to is how quickly that… ‘experience’ is fading from you, and all you can do is sigh in resignation.

As you force yourself to stand up, leaning heavily on the cave wall, the second thing that occurs to you is just how much you head hurts!

“Oh, good! He’s awake!”

New voice. Oddly peppy. Sounds—

“Oof!”

“Never do that again!” Kagerou shouts as she continues to crush your midsection in an embrace. Something hard wraps around you too, which you assume to be Akane.

“Grk! I-It’s nice to see you too,” you you struggle to say. “Figuratively speaking. I’d like to breath though.”

“Oh, sorry.”

Thankfully, the pressure around your midsection disappears and you take as many deep breaths as you can without breaking into coughs.

Ah, air, how necessary art thou and how refreshing.

“Well,” you hear Keine say to the side. “Do you have anything to say?”

The sound of footsteps draws neared before the familiar light ‘thud’ of someone falling to their knees.

“I’m so sorry for trying to eat you!”

“That was eating? I thought you were trying to molest me.”

“W-What?!” the new girl says. You also hear a muffled squeak coming from Kagerou and Keine.

Hmm, so this is what it felt like for Elly. Lots of amusement and having to fight a grin from creeping up onto your expression.

“Well, with the way you were pressing up against me and all,” you say. “

“I-I-I would never do such a thing!” she protests.

“Well, in that case, your hands must have minds of their own.”

“Augh…”

This… is honestly very amusing. You wish you could see if she was blushing or not.

“Wash?”

“Yes Keine?”

“You’re doing this on purpose, aren’t you?”

“I’m not joking Keine,” you say with the straightest face possible. “Her hands really were roaming.”

Well, they were. Didn’t feel all that bad, but you’re not going to voice that thought out loud, not to mention the fact that she was licking and biting you while you were bound.

Oh, what a story those words could inspire. Risque, however, and probably not to everyone’s taste.

+++

Yamame Kurodani. That was who she introduced herself as after Keine’s extended lecture on proper ‘restraint’, which was cut short by you rising to her defense by informing Keine that she was asleep.

“I may not look like it, but I’m an Earth Spider youkai.” Oh, so that’s why she was up there.

“Sadly, I cannot comment on your appearance,” you lament. “Irving Washington.”

“...”

“...”

“...is something wrong?”

“You tried to embarrass me.”

“Miss Kurodani, I merely stated the facts.”

“You didn’t have to say it out loud, though!” she protests. “What would Kisume say?!”

“Who’s Kisume?”

Your question is answered when the person in question decides to make her entry with—

[] A Dead Drop

[] An Irish Cannon
[X] An Irish Cannon

Idk, but whereas Seki slips into Irish accent, I like to think that Wash speaks in a thick Scottish accent instead.
[X] An Irish Cannon
Always vote for the land of song.
[x] A Dead Drop
[X] An Irish Cannon
[X] A Dead Drop
[X] An Irish Cannon
[X] An Irish Cannon
[x] An Irish Cannon

Irish Sekibanki is the best thing I never knew I needed.
>>197117
Just imagine: It's DDC and she's just got her ass (or rather her head) handed to her by the heroine.

Next thing you know her accent slips and she starts cursing like Cait from Fallout 4.
>>197117
Just imagine: It's DDC and she's just got her ass (or rather her head) handed to her by the heroine.

Next thing you know her accent slips and she starts cursing like Cait from Fallout 4.
>>197119
Isn't there another female Irish character's voice we can use?
>>197109
And as they both talk with each other, their accents get thicker and thicker until only they can understand each other?
>>197156
Oh! I know this joke!

An Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman walk into a bar...

Quick! Where's Remilia?
New Thread

>>197194
[Return][Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x