-  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 196233)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3189 unique user posts. View catalog

File 149389140849.jpg - (44.45KB , 600x300 , This but with a heck of a lot of wires.jpg ) [iqdb]
196233 No. 196233
“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche


[x] "Is that a 12.7 dual cannon in your starboard, or are you happy to see me?"

— - — - —

You resist the urge to flinch, and instead simply swallow the lump of dread. Sure, she'd be shooting herself if she shot you, and yes, she is an ally, but... "...Is that a 12.7 dual cannon in your starboard, or are you happy to see me?"

The turret waves up and down a bit. "Umm... Well, yes." The turret seemingly flinches. At its size, it's quite noticeable. Then it averts. "S-sorry, sir! I, umm... I didn't mean to aim at you like that. I was only trying to look at you is all..."

You give the barrel a bit of a pat. "Just do better in the future." Though you maintain a level tone, you can feel your heart pounding its fair share from turning to the sight of such a gun. So large is the barrel, of course, that it took a moment to register. However, when it did, well... "Now, can you direct me to Rika? I've questions for her."

After a moment, the Inazuma says, "She's by the Heart, sir."

"The heart?" You're reminded to a disturbing degree of the organic innards of an Abyssal.

"Where, umm..." The turret's barrels fidget a bit. "Where Aoko is."

You frown. "You may wish us to call you by your new name, but you still are Aoko. It's one thing to want others to treat you in such a way. But to dehumanize yourself is a line best not crossed."

"S-sorry, sir! Umm... It's just that it's difficult to refer to the separate parts easily. There's two of me in a way, after all..."

You sigh. "Calling it the Heart should be just fine, Inazuma."

"Yes, sir."

"Now, as for the Heart?"

"Just follow my instructions when you descend, sir."

You nod. "Alright. Wouldn't want to get lost after all."

The turret swivels. "You shouldn't, sir. I'll be watching when I can."

"Not at gunpoint, I hope." You can't help the smallest of smirks from crawling onto your mouth.

"N-no, sir." The barrels shake from side to side as the turret turns this way and that. You have to admit, this is the first time you'd call a weapon anything approaching cute.

You nod again. "Thank you." With that, you leave the ship behind as you descend into that very same ship, in search of the ship and the head of Abyssal R&D. You're a bit amused by the thought.

As you travel through the ship, you hear the occasional direction from a new speaker every time. It seems that she has oddly fine control of herself, as it were. However, as she is no Battleship, there isn't a terribly large amount of area to cover before you arrive to find Rika having fallen asleep and to be lying against the tank you spy Aoko to be floating within.

You're as concerned that Rika was working sleepless and drunk as you are that Rika looks like like a cyborg to an extent. All those wires really do give an eerie look to her sleeping form.

You may need to ask if her state of undress in truly necessary, however.

— - — - —

Wake Rika?
[ ] Of course — she has important information that you need.
[ ] No. Let her rest.
-[ ] Come back later.
-[ ] Sit with her.
[ ] Write-in.


Previous Thread: >>193167
Expand all images
>> No. 196236
[x] No. Let her rest.
-[x] Talk to Inazuma in the meantime.
>> No. 196237
[x] Let her rest
Rested and sober Rika will be more efficient.
[x] Talk to Inazuma
-[x] Do you really have to be naked?
-[x] Does this place has enough protection against incoming fire?
--[x] Effects on the ship if the heart is damaged sound severe. What are they?
-[x] Is she, uh, cold? Does she need anything?

Patting cannons like it is 2007
>> No. 196258
[X]Ask Aoko if you need to strip too. Don't want to ignore any policy or procedure.
-[X] Wake Rika.
>> No. 196260
[x] Let her rest
Rested and sober Rika will be more efficient.
[x] Talk to Inazuma
-[x] Do you really have to be naked?
--[x] Seriously? I mean, you can get a swimsuit.
---[x] Wait never mind we haven't got subs yet
-[x] Does this place has enough protection against incoming fire?
--[x] Effects on the ship if the heart is damaged sound severe. What are they?
-[x] Is she, uh, cold? Does she need anything?

Slightly disturbing, ya know?
>> No. 196268
File 149416687956.jpg - (3.24KB , 259x194 , There was a girl here.jpg ) [iqdb]
196268
[x] Let her rest
Rested and sober Rika will be more efficient.
[x] Talk to Inazuma
-[x] Do you really have to be naked?
-[x] Does this place has enough protection against incoming fire?
--[x] Effects on the ship if the heart is damaged sound severe. What are they?
-[x] Is she, uh, cold? Does she need anything?

— - — - —

You decide against facing the girl when you ask, "Inazuma, is there any reason as to your lack of clothing?"

You can practically hear the blush in the radio. "Well, erm... The water helps keep me healthy, so skin contact is important."

"Not even a swimsuit? Not to mention that the temperature of the water must be low..."

"Well..." She pauses, before admitting, "There are so many wires that even wearing that would be difficult. They spoke of needing to make something special, though it's, of course, not... the highest priority. This room has a high security clearance after all, and there's going to be something covering the tank soon enough." As if being a second thought, she adds, "And I'm told that the water is a comfortable temperature."

You nod in affirmation, wondering a moment why such a thing wasn't already ready beforehand. You can understand a lack of clothes that fit the bill, but a tarp is far from specialized equipment, nor terribly difficult to acquire — or, failing that, ship. ...Then again, shipping is an issue. Shipping is always an issue anymore. By plane, they get shot down. By sea, they either get shot full of holes or simply capsize.

"Sir?"

"Ahh, my mistake. I got lost in thought." You clear your throat, before you continue talking to a particularly spotless steel wall. "What sort of protection does this room provide?"

There is hesitation in her voice. "Umm... Well, in truth, there's no more than any other place inside the more armored portions. There really isn't much room for more armor, as the ship was made as it was back then, if with those new techniques. As such, I'm in the hardest to damage portion, but, in the end, I'm no Battleship, sir. ...They say that a torpedo would likely be all it would take to... breach the room.

You grimace at the thought of such an end to this new hope of yours. "But aren't you too valuable to simply risk? Surely there must be some way to protect you more. What would happen to the ship should something happen to you?"

Deafening silence greets you for a time..

Eventually, she simply answers, "...There would be no negative impact on performance, save the damage itself."

— - — - —

[ ] Write-in.
>> No. 196271
I don't understand. How can "damage has no impact on performance" be true for anything?

Surely there is some value of damage within the set of [minimal - catastrophic] that would impact performance.
>> No. 196272
To me it just sounds like she's trying to assuage our worry and force a change of subject... though i'm probably reading too much into it
>> No. 196275
>>196271

This is why it's a write-in. You can ask, if you want.
>> No. 196276
>>196275

Uhhh...OK then. I don't really think that's the intent and purpose of a write-in though.

[X] That makes no sense. Can you reword your previous statement in a way that doesn't present a logical fallacy?
>> No. 196277
[x] While you may find it easier to think of yourself as a complete machine, I'm afraid that reality doesn't change: you're a soldier, not a tank.
-[x] I won't coddle you, don't worry about that, but I need to know your limits lest we lose you for nothing.
-[x] Your body works as normal? You know, small bruises okay, broken bones bad, arms cut irreversible?
-[x] The damage on your external body doesn't reflect on the core, I imagine. Is the opposite true?
-[x] What is the extent of your pain receptors in regards to your core and external body? And of your sense of touch? *will I be able to pat you again? *
-[x] In case your external body needs to stay in dry dock for a bit, can you get your human body out and go grab lunch? Or a meeting in the war room? Heck, do you still need to eat and sleep?

GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS. THIS SETTING GODDAMN.

I hope she can still eat. Pastries are a miracle of the universe. Yes, I'm changing the subject because I don't want to think of a torpedo taking her out in one hit.

Finally, if she can still separate, I suggest we just name Inazuma the ship body and Aoko the human body. Wait, no, she didn't want to be called like that.
Guess I'll have to get used to writing "external body"
>> No. 196281
>>196277

[x] THIS SETTING
>> No. 196289
File 149437101769.png - (177.27KB , 1000x1000 , Such a snore.png ) [iqdb]
196289
[x] While you may find it easier to think of yourself as a complete machine, I'm afraid that reality doesn't change: you're a soldier, not a tank.
-[x] I won't coddle you, don't worry about that, but I need to know your limits lest we lose you for nothing.
-[x] Your body works as normal? You know, small bruises okay, broken bones bad, arms cut irreversible?
-[x] The damage on your external body doesn't reflect on the core, I imagine. Is the opposite true?
-[x] What is the extent of your pain receptors in regards to your core and external body? And of your sense of touch? *will I be able to pat you again? *
-[x] In case your external body needs to stay in dry dock for a bit, can you get your human body out and go grab lunch? Or a meeting in the war room? Heck, do you still need to eat and sleep?

— - — - —

You frown at her claims. "Inazuma, there is more to you than metal and grease. There is no changing that you are flesh and blood at the Heart. I'm not about to tell you how to live your life, as you are to be treated as an adult, but I want to know your exact limits, lest we lose you when there was no reason to."

"I... meant that literally, sir." She lets out a static-filled sigh. "If the heart is destroyed, I simply lose all ability to leave the ship. It's why any damage incurred is at face value. My consciousness is in the ship, though still tethered to my body. For all intents and purposes, I am the ship. Should my body be destroyed, the ship will live on as if nothing happened, so long as I was connected."

You frown a bit. "And damage done to the ship? Does that reflect on you?"

"No. Damage done to either is exclusive to the one damaged."

You simply sigh. "You felt pain as a ship, correct? What of your actual body?"

"I'm not in it right now, so I can't feel a thing done to it. ...If I were removed, it should be normal enough." She's starting to sound uncomfortable.

"Are you removable from the ship? Need you eat or sleep?"

"I am sleeping right now, so no. And I don't, umm... need to eat, though can. I can taste just fine, though it doesn't actually have much of a point. I'm kept alive by the tank."

You hear a tiny groan from by the tank. It seems Rika has finally awakened. Perhaps it's time you redirect your questions.

— - — - —

What do you ask?
[ ] Stick to the plan.
[ ] Write-in.
>> No. 196291
[x] Stick to the plan.

Damn, she's subtlety proof. Can we just vote to ask "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE YOU TO DATES AND SEX YOU IF YOU DON'T USE YOUR HUMAN BODY"
>> No. 196298
[x] Stick to the plan.

Let her experience it a bit more. No need to press too hard. She does need to acclimate.

Besides, if we don't ask Rika questions now, she'll probably toddle on off. Fairies are easy to lose track of.

Also what island are we on? Shape/size/region? Do we have to worry about our fairies getting tanned? If so, we need to start provisioning by the drum when possible
>> No. 196320
File 149467607368.jpg - (69.28KB , 744x469 , Battleship or paperweight.jpg ) [iqdb]
196320
[X] Salute
[X] Light exercise routine
[X] Shower
[X] Breakfast
[X] Visit Kotohime About that beer I owed ya
[X] Consult Rika re:shore batteries and base defenses
-[X] Check on Inazuma [s]It's not like I care about you or anything...

[O] Lunch... With company
[O] Start a written report of all resources, staff, ongoing research, supply lines, base location and danger levels.
-[O] Bother everyone you have to, for as long as you have to: this will be the backbone of your decision making.

— - — - —

"Rika, while I admire your work ethic, I must ask as to if you were intending on working while drunk and without a wink of sleep."

The tiny girl jolts. "N-no, sir! I, umm... I just happen to not really have much of what I'd call work at the moment is all, so I was checking with her mental health. Mice are a bit hard to talk to, not that I haven't tried." At your risen brow, she blushes a bit. "R-right, uhh... Our Abyssal materials are pretty strictly kept under lock and key, as we have so much less than we'd like. The blood especially, what with how corruptive it is."

Yet another thing to look into. Normally you would be concerned, but they did only just complete their last project. "I'll keep that in mind. Now, as for why I've come to you, I wanted to ask about emplacements. Shore batteries and general defenses for the base."

She perks up at the mention. "Well, my specialty is land vehicles[/b], but I do know how to go about it. The one issue is the incompatibility between our materials and theirs. Their ammo and guns are, of course, absurdly capable for their size. But, well... Abyssal ammo does have [i]teeth, making handling it dangerous, to say the least. With how little we have, any batteries may cost us a ship. Although, I do have ideas for old tech designs, but, well... they aren't what I'd call stealthy or efficient."

"Why so?"

"Well, when you scale weapons up, they get louder and louder. I figured 16 inch guns would do the job, potentially, though it'd take a lot of time. But that's more Chiyuri's specialty. Naval guns are a lot bigger than what I'm used to, and are real complicated. We'd also need to modernize designs to cover the weakness of World War 2. We don't want to make the mistake that was Yamato again..."

Yes, you wouldn't want to spend everything on a maybe, waiting for a decisive battle that could, once again, never come. "Anything else?"

She rubs her chin, thinking for a bit. Eventually, she answer, "Well, I do have ideas for a railgun. However, we'd need to put time towards it that would be best suited towards more ships, just as the time put towards 16" shore batteries would also be best suited put towards another ship. We could potentially send the idea to mainland, though getting it there would be far from easy."

— - — - —

[ ] Bring up
-[ ] Naval mines.
-[ ] The prospects of building an airfield.
-[ ] AA emplacements.
-[ ] Write-in.
[ ] Continue to lunch.
-[ ] Who is the mentioned company? Write-in.


>>196298

That's a question best asked in-story.
>> No. 196321
>>196298
You got it

[x] Ask
-[x] Naval mines
-[x] Airfield
-[x] Contact with mainland: how hard is it in our location?
-[x] What kind of island are we? Shape? Location?
-[x] While we don't have much in the way of resources to throw at your side for the moment, you'll get your time to shine,I assure you.
--[x] What will you do in the meantime?
>> No. 196322
[x] Ask
-[x] Naval mines
--[x] Although, if they're not being used...
-[x] Airfield
--[x] Speaking of, what caliber AA is needed to shoot down any abyssal... plane things? I don't know if we know this in character, so disregard the plane things if we don't.
-[x] Contact with mainland: how hard is it in our location?
-[x] What kind of island are we? Shape? Location?
--[x] Sketch would be nice if possible.
-[x] While we don't have much in the way of resources to throw at your side for the moment, you'll get your time to shine,I assure you.
--[x] What will you do in the meantime?
>> No. 196347
[x] Ask
-[x] Naval mines
--[x] Although, if they're not being used...
-[x] Airfield
--[x] Speaking of, what caliber AA is needed to shoot down any abyssal... plane things? I don't know if we know this in character, so disregard the plane things if we don't.
-[x] Contact with mainland: how hard is it in our location?
-[x] What kind of island are we? Shape? Location?
--[x] Sketch would be nice if possible.
-[x] While we don't have much in the way of resources to throw at your side for the moment, you'll get your time to shine,I assure you.
--[x] What will you do in the meantime?
>> No. 196434
File 14953931477.jpg - (27.91KB , 400x224 , Like fish to bait perhaps.jpg ) [iqdb]
196434
[x] Ask
-[x] Naval mines
--[x] Although, if they're not being used...
-[x] Airfield
--[x] Speaking of, what caliber AA is needed to shoot down any abyssal... plane things? I don't know if we know this in character, so disregard the plane things if we don't.
-[x] Contact with mainland: how hard is it in our location?
-[x] What kind of island are we? Shape? Location?
--[x] Sketch would be nice if possible.
-[x] While we don't have much in the way of resources to throw at your side for the moment, you'll get your time to shine,I assure you.
--[x] What will you do in the meantime?

— - — - —

If there were ever a time to ask, now is it. You imagine it won't be so easy at future dates, either due to being busy or her being six inches tall and thus difficult to locate. "What of naval mines?"

Rika shudders a bit. "No, no, no." There's a certain abject horror in her eyes that fades as she reigns herself in. "The base is a test bed for a lot of things. If we used them, they were concerned that the mines were actually what led them to the other attempted bases in the past. That they are wholly ineffective against Abyssals raised the question of if they can detect things underwater. And, well... the base is still standing, sir." Hmm... None to even dismantle or the like, then. Still, if it keeps the base safe, you can't fault that.

"And an airfield?"

That gives her pause as she thinks it over. "Well, it's possible. Scouts are an option, though anything meant for actually fighting the ships themselves, not so much. They'd be gunned down like paper, not by their planes, but by those lasers . If we found planes alone, though, it'd be easy. They're not as durable, what with needing to take to the skies. Tough compared to ours, but ours can run circles around them, and missiles are plenty enough to do the job." You nod along, before she points out, "But, as of this point, we don't have anyone that really can develop aircrafts that might survive a bit of damage, making it less useful than it could be otherwise."

You'll need to look into adding another member to R&D down the road, in that case. "As for comms with mainland?"

She shakes her head. "No go, sir. We still haven't managed to make any more progress than anyone else on keeping long-distance comms possible. They just keep shooting down every attempt at a satellite. We'd need an aircraft or ship capable of the trip, or to make ground-based comms possible somehow."

"And where are we? I've not been given much information on that. A map would also be useful."

"Hmm..." Rika thinks a moment, before answering, "I don't have a much info on that, but there'd be plenty info on that with Intel. But, as for the location, the nearest island of note is Midway."

"...We're that far out?"

"Yes, sir."

If we can make it out this far, shouldn't we have reestablished contact with the Americans by now? Although, as many seem to think the Fish to be American ships, you at least understand why you haven't. They did come from their direction, not there are many directions they could come from. Still, if they aren't their ships, that is a powerful ally not being regained...

Something doesn't smell right about that. "Alright. Thank you for your time, Rika."

She nods. "You're welcome, sir."

"When we have more resources available, we'll definitely need to see what all you might be able to do."

The girl perks up at the mention. "Ahh, on that note, the head of R&D probably will want to see you soon. We've nothing to currently work on, though she has ideas that we could develop. Mainly the next ship to make."

You nod. "I'll make sure to do so when I have the chance. Thank you for the message."

Now, all that remains is figuring out where to fit it in your schedule.

— - — - —

Any alterations to be made to the remaining schedule for the day?

[O] Lunch... With company Who?
[O] Start a written report of all resources, staff, ongoing research, supply lines, base location and danger levels.
-[O] Bother everyone you have to, for as long as you have to: this will be the backbone of your decision making.
>> No. 196458
[x]Lunch with the head of R&D

Might as well get a head start on the list.
>> No. 196475
>>196458

Maybe I watched too many zombie films, but I swore that this said munch on the head of R&D.

Oh well. this one is good.

[x]Lunch with the head of R&D
>> No. 196493
While I technically have a consensus, I'll leave voting open an extra day in case anyone has anything to add.
>> No. 196518
>>196475

She is bite sized.
>> No. 196537
File 149582465441.jpg - (18.40KB , 260x445 , Never break her Heart.jpg ) [iqdb]
196537
[x]Lunch with the head of R&D

— - — - —

You smile, now sure when to fit it in. Sure, there are others you could eat with, but that doesn't change that Rikako has a matter of no doubt pressing importance. Looking back to Rika from your thoughts, you say, "When does Rikako typically take lunch?"

Rika rummages in her pocket, retrieving a tiny pocket watch. "In about 10 minutes, sir. All three of us do. Not sure if I'll make it, though... We usually have to leave in advance, as the base is a lot bigger when you're this small."

You nod, before crouching down to offer a hand. "Then we're going the same way." Might as well earn brownie points. She can be aggravating when she and Chiyuri butt heads, but her thoughts will no doubt be important, what with her expertise on the Fish.

For her part, she blushes a bit. "Ahh, erm..." She looks like she's holding her tongue as she climbs aboard. "Thank you, sir."

"What is it, Rika?"

She hesitates, though only a bit. "It's just embarrassing is all."

As red as she is, it makes you wonder if she's just a bit shy under all that near-on fanatical glee over the Fish. "Would you rather sit on top of my hat?" If it's being held in your hands that bothers her...

She thinks a moment, before nodding. "Yes. Thank you, Sir. That'd be a lot more comfortable." She smiles a bit, before climbing in your hand. You make sure not to drop her as you transport her to the top of your hat, making sure your hat is firmly secure. She quickly makes her way onto the hat, seeming glad to be out of your hand, judging by how hurriedly she does so.

And with that, you head for the dining hall, the door to the Heart automatically sealing shut behind you. Upon arrival, you look to the clock, finding that it seems that they take an early lunch. As spacious as the seating is, what with the vast majority of the staff being reduced to a tenth the size, you imagine that it more has to do with privacy than actually finding a trio of seats that aren't taken. They could likely all eat on a single chair with a proportionate picnic blanket, in fact.

The thought puts a small smile on your face.

However, Rika breaks you from your thoughts when she smack the side of your hat. "Over there, Sir." You look to the direction she spoke of, and spy a bit of purple on a far-off table. If nothing else, Rikako's hair color makes spotting her a simple task.

To be continued...
>> No. 196542
File 149584507062.jpg - (209.77KB , 725x1000 , __rika_touhou_and_touhou_pc_98_drawn_by_shiz_0077_.jpg ) [iqdb]
196542
Oh Rika, you're lovely, no matter in which story you are into.
>> No. 196566
File 149596436257.jpg - (119.90KB , 1600x1067 , You hope this isn't guacamole.jpg ) [iqdb]
196566
1/1.5 >>196537

— - — - —

After retrieving food for the two of you, the walk to Rikako and company is, as you would expect, short. Imagining how long the trip might take for the fairies is an odd thought, what with how they don't quite reach your mid-calf. As you approach, Chiyuri looks to you, though the squeaky head of the departments doesn't bother to look up as she says, "Hello again."

Rika jumps down from your hat onto the table in an impressive disregard for table manners. Although, this isn't exactly her fault, as the two of them are already disregarding those very manners by sitting cross legged on the table as they enjoy their meals. "Sorry I'm late."

Rikako finally looks up, smiling with a bit more warmth than her usual fare. "There's nothing to forgive." Looking to you, she asks, "I assume that Rika clued you in on the current lack of anything for us to be doing?"

You nod. "That could be said, yes."

Rikako nods in turn. "Give me a moment to fish up the data." Five seconds later, she says, "The current ideas for research topics we have are between two directions of ship development — one simply being a more specialized area of the more broad one — and various ways to improve fairy-based efficiency within the base. Anything to add to the list before we begin in earnest?"

— - — - —

[ ] You hate to say it, but maybe some way to communicate with the Fish would be helpful. Although, calling their words more than glorified white noise is a stretch.
[ ] Mention emplacements. Not now, but in the future it could be helpful to have it kept in mind.
[ ] Mention the lack of an aerial specialist. Surely that's something that needs to be fixed sooner or later.
[ ] Mention the difficulty of contacting mainland. Is there some way to safely improve that?
[ ] Write-in
>> No. 196591
[x] Ask what is slowing down the research. Lack of resources? Lack of manpower? How can we get non abyssal resources? (Abyssal samples are get through fights and we want to avoid that until we are ready (
[x] Mention the lack of aerial especialists.
>> No. 196614
[x] Mention the lack of an aerial specialist. Surely that's something that needs to be fixed sooner or later.
[X] Mention the difficulty of contacting mainland. Is there some way to safely improve that?

I think we were told there was nothing to do about the last item but meh.
>> No. 196665
[x] Mention the lack of an aerial specialist. Surely that's something that needs to be fixed sooner or later.
[x] Mention the difficulty of contacting mainland. Is there some way to safely improve that?
-[x] Even two cans and a string?
>> No. 196689
File 149632042784.jpg - (19.42KB , 400x346 , I'm happy this image is easy.jpg ) [iqdb]
196689
[x] Mention the lack of an aerial specialist. Surely that's something that needs to be fixed sooner or later.
[x] Mention the difficulty of contacting mainland. Is there some way to safely improve that?

— - — - —

"I suppose the only things I can think of are that there was mention of a lack of an aerial expert or any real way to get in contact with mainland in a timely fashion."

Your fellow purple head nods, answering, "Mainly due to a lack of a need — or even a want — of planes and the like. They may not attract abyssals like flies to a body like mines, but any actually on the surface will still see them. Where we are, we would be in the center of the entire pacific fleet."

"Pacific?"

"It's been theorized that there are more than one abyssal nation. As large as the world is, and with the reports of infighting among them, it would make sense." She looks to Rika, as if expecting something.

Rika picks up where her sister left off, explaining, "There's been intel supporting vastly different models of abyssals, almost as if from separate nations. The general thought is that there's at least two different abyssal nations, though it's hard to say with the difficulty of getting information anymore."

Chiyuri chimes in, "It's not really useful unless we get confirmation, though. For all we know, they're just older and newer models."

Rika huffs. "Or that."

Rikako continues, "As for comms, well... the hard part is keeping them up, and preventing them from leading any of the abyssals here. There just aren't enough materials to replace the satellites shot down, let enough to do so repeatedly. We would need to figure out some way to either hide them, or protect them, satellite or otherwise." If only it was as simple as a couple soup cans and some string. Was worth a shot.

You nod along, as that much was obvious. Everyone remembers the day the Fish systematically shot down every last satellite. The sky was ablaze with laser fire and satellite alike. It would have been pretty, if not for knowing exactly what was happening. You grimace at the memories. Not good ones.

"Captain?"

You start from your remembering of it all. "...Sorry. Go on."

It wasn't long after you lost your wife, after all.

To be continued...
>> No. 196694
[x] What hope is there for us when they can shot down sattelites with such ease?
>> No. 196715
File 149640714383.png - (69.70KB , 762x720 , SCIENCE.png ) [iqdb]
196715
>>196689 1/2

[1] What hope is there for us when they can shot down satellites with such ease?

— - — - —

In the end, it's that overwhelming firepower that is their true threat, not the near impossibility of actually taking one down.

Of course, the issue with having better guns is that, if your enemy learns to make them, it evens things up. Sure, for every one you currently have — which is to say the only one you have — they have an endless hoard, but you have to start somewhere.

Rikako continues on, explaining, "Now, there are two research paths we are considering at the moment when it comes to ships. Nether is a major breakthrough, though both will lead to us having more ships. However, with every ship we research, we will learn more, eventually leading to enough knowledge that we might make larger ships."

Getting back on track, she explains, "The two paths are really only two directions on the same road: either we research the earlier Fubuki-class destroyers, or we aim for those closer related to Inazuma by researching the Akatsuki-class destroyers. With the former, we are possibly going to get inferior ships, though the difference will be less than glaring due to the Abyssal technology involved, not to mention that we may learn more. In the latter, we will learn of the similarities between closely related ships, and find out if they are indeed worth going to the trouble of researching."

As an afterthought, she adds, "The Fubuki-class would be akin to cousins for Aoko, compared to the Akatsuki-class being like sisters. I will point out that she would possibly appreciate the latter group, as she is a bit alone in the world, however." Rika smiles at her sister's fairly obvious concern for the girl.

However, you on the other hand frown a bit at thought, as she deserves better than that. "We have enough material to go more than one direction, correct?"

"Correct. And, while we can only look into one Akatsuki or Fubuki ship at a time, if we do both at once, we can double our production rate. However, if we do so, we run the risk of running out of materials. I'm sure you don't want to have to kill another, yes?"

All you can do is nod and grip the handle of your sword at the terrifying memory. It was bad enough being swallowed the one time. Again would be beyond too much.

— - — - —

[ ] Fubuki-class. Learning more, even at the risk of inferiorly designed ships, is worth it.
[ ] Akatsuki-class. Inazuma could use something to keep her spirits up, and potentially superior ships would be something you could really use at this point.
[ ] Jack of all trades, master of none. Walk in the middle of the road.
[ ] You mentioned ways to improve the efficiency of fairies?
[ ] Question why you can seemingly only research one in one direction or one in both.
[ ] Write-in.
>> No. 196716
>Question why you can seemingly only research one in one direction or one in both.
Lack of materials.

[X] Improve Fairy efficiency? How?
[X] Research her sisters.

We need enough firepower to get, at least, targets of opportunity. Once we get more samples, then we can go for adaptability.

Likewise, researching both is too dangerous. The result of failing through and being stuck with a single ship is catastrophic. The odds of winning a battle are bad enough with two ships.

And, yeah, I want to indulge Inazuma. Don't blame me, she's our first.
>> No. 196717
How are the abbysals blocking ionosphere reflective radio and why doesn't it block communicating with space?
>> No. 196735
[x] Akatsuki-class. Inazuma could use something to keep her spirits up, and potentially superior ships would be something you could really use at this point.

If we want more parts, we're gonna need more firepower, right?

[x] You mentioned ways to improve the efficiency of fairies?

We're not going to get anything done if our workforce has to run a marathon just to get to the office.
>> No. 196773
This sounds like the start of a tech tree. And the Fubukis and Akatsukis are similar enough that either one should be acceptable. We need to look forward and past that.

[x] Ask her if either design in particular has advantages.
-[x] Or if they lead towards diverging paths.
--[x] After all, the better path initially might lead to a weaker, or just different, later path.
[x] Improvements for fair efficiency?
>> No. 196800
File 14966667112.jpg - (9.09KB , 275x183 , RIKA NO.jpg ) [iqdb]
196800
[x] Akatsuki-class. Inazuma could use something to keep her spirits up, and potentially superior ships would be something you could really use at this point.
[x] You mentioned ways to improve the efficiency of fairies?

— - — - —

In the end, if she were trying to convince you that more like the Inazuma was a good idea, she appealed to you well. ...That girl deserves a bit more happiness in her life. You want to say that it's all for morale, but you're starting to wonder if that's the whole story, as much as you've been going out of your way for her. "The Akatsuki-class destroyers will do."

Rikako nods while Rika and Chiyuri smile a bit. "That was what we thought would be best as well." Shocking. "We'll get to work on it right away."

You nod, moving on to the next topic. "And what of the fairy research that was mentioned?"

Rikako fiddles with her tablet a bit, before explaining, "As you might imagine, being 6 inches tall is more than a little inconvenient. The first and most important way to do so would be building a bus network."

"...A bus network."

"And a road system of sorts, yes."

"Inside the base."

"Yes, that's right." That sort of blase attitude is exactly what makes reading her difficult. If not for that, you might think this a joke. "Nothing quite as durable as proper roads, nor as large as a proper bus. However, even so, it would reduce walking room in more or less all halls in the base by 10-20%. The actual development would take about a day at most, but to have it built would be time consuming, not to mention squander building materials." Eyeing her sister, she points out, "Although, sprinting across the base constantly would likely trim some fat off of Rika. But, sad as it is, sacrifices must be made."

Rika goes red in the face, looking as if she both wants to strangle her sister and also crawl under a rock to die at the same time.

It's that complicated expression that makes you chuckle a bit.

— - — - —

[ ] Rika could certainly do with the exercise, but efficiency is more important than shedding pounds. ...Well, not pounds. She likely only weight a couple at most.
-[ ] If she really is in such terrible shape, perhaps she should sit in when Inazuma gets drilled.
[ ] This can wait. Even a day longer is too long to leave the base unprotected.
[ ] Write-in.
>> No. 196801
[x] Rika seems fine to me. I'm sorry if she wanted to exercise, but eficiency is more important than shedding pounds. ...Well, not pounds. She likely only weight a couple at most.
-[x] If she really thinks she is in such terrible shape, perhaps she should sit in when Inazuma gets drilled.

Bullying stop!

Also, it is risky to wait an entire day, but the efficiency increase would be really good in the short run and will only get better with each passing day.
>> No. 196823
[x] Rika seems fine to me. I'm sorry if she wanted to exercise, but eficiency is more important than shedding pounds. ...Well, not pounds. She likely only weight a couple at most.
-[x] If she really thinks she is in such terrible shape, perhaps she should sit in when Inazuma gets drilled.
>> No. 196853
Tide, piss, etc. We don't want Rika to be let off light. Sure, Rikako may be hurting her feelings, but better those than bullets. 'Sides, if Rikako is a problem, then she may be required to exert herself some more.

[x] Insist that everyone gets to take part in the drills as to the best of their abilities. Some aren't as capable as others, but this is not an excuse to not get better.
-[x] However, make sure to enforce order. If anyone begins making other soldiers, researchers, or etc a hard time, they should be cracked down on.

Also... cars don't seem the best, or buses. A few options to note:
[x] Suggest these instead:
-[x] Moving walkways: to accommodate both fairies and normal sized people.
-[x] "Mouse hole" secondary transportation system. Little paths that only fairies can take between major rooms in order to expedite travel. Problem: introduces more holes into operation.
-[x] Chairlift/underslung monorail system. Incorporate this into handrails on the base and you accomplish two objectives at once. Increasing safety and also providing an out-of-the-way method of transportation.
-[x] Just... remote controlled vehicles or even fairy driven transport devices. To be fair, they only have to go normal human walking speed to keep up. There's no need for an arbitrary bus based system when individual packs accomplish the same thing. There's no need to take up space with roadways or anything, as you're going to travel at human speeds, not soopadoopaspeed. The only need are elevators and ramps, which would be needed anyway and should be installed as it is. (heavy equipment that must be dealt with needs ramps)
>> No. 196922
File 149700958167.jpg - (43.54KB , 720x540 , Hopefully not the future of the base.jpg ) [iqdb]
196922
[2] Rika seems fine to me. I'm sorry if she wanted to exercise, but efficiency is more important than shedding pounds. ...Well, not pounds. She likely only weight a couple at most.
-[2] If she really thinks she is in such terrible shape, perhaps she should sit in when Inazuma gets drilled.

And, because it fits with the forthcoming punishment, this seems like it will do for a light one.

[1] Insist that everyone the three of them gets to take part in the drills to the best of their abilities. Some aren't as capable as others, but this is not an excuse to not get better.
-[1] However, make sure to enforce order. If anyone begins making other soldiers, researchers, or etc a hard time, they should be cracked down on.

And, as it's in-character...

-[1] Moving walkways: to accommodate both fairies and normal sized people.

— - — - —

You sigh, pointing out, "If she needs exercise so badly, then she can sit in on the Inazuma being drilled." Before Chiyuri can smug up braided girl, you add, "However, she will not be alone in this: all three of you shall be involved." And, before any steam can be built up on a counter argument or the like, you add, "However, not before efficiency of our fairy force has been increased, and it will be worked into your schedule so as to avoid any issues." If it takes so long to simply reach the dining hall from there, then surely the saved time will still be in the positive.

While Chiyuri looks annoyed, Rikako simple concedes, "Very well. You have my support in this, in that case." ...The way she phrased that makes you wonder if she holds more power than you.

Chiyuri redirects her minor outrage at her boss, while you reply, "Good, then. What is the ETA of this... bus system?"

Rikako explains, "It will take us a day to design, but construction will take time to implement it. I'd say anywhere between a week and a month. The roads don't support much weight, so they're really just going to be designated portions of the hall."

After a moment, you ask, "...Why a bus system, though?"

"Do you have a better idea?"

You're given pause, before you eventually offer, "Conveyor floors? They could be used for fae and man alike."

She gives you the odd look you felt as if they deserved for the bus idea. "That would take considerably more material. The base isn't large; all we need is two or three buses that are in the area of 1:8 scale."

You nod. "I'll leave that judgement up to you, then." You finish off your odd green soup, before saying, "I'll leave you to your business." You head off to your next task, for you require the help of Mima for the last task of the day.

To be continued...
>> No. 196944
Damn, he pulled the resources thing up again.
We really are hurting for more ships. Fuck.
>> No. 196960
File 149708520571.png - (200.30KB , 740x1000 , Host with the most firepower.png ) [iqdb]
196960
I'm real sorry, but I just realized that I can't currently update this story, as my lovely assistant is a bit busy to be helping me ensure everything is as it needs to be.

How about a Q&A to pass the time?
>> No. 196961
No.
>> No. 196964
File 149708991013.png - (198.34KB , 1000x1000 , But but but.png ) [iqdb]
196964
>>196961

Ohhgodno.
>> No. 196971
File 149711185127.gif - (187.63KB , 400x400 , 4bf.gif ) [iqdb]
196971
1- I appreciate a good introduction more than anyone, but do you have an ETA for battles to start?

2-Will you follow a 'Quest' (See: "Doll Quest") RPG-like system or will all be addressed by text.

3- u a qt3.14 wan sum fuk

4-When Kiso?

For your hard work with your stories. I should be thanking 'ya
>> No. 196981
File 149713252357.png - (184.69KB , 1000x1000 , This is great practice.png ) [iqdb]
196981
>>196971

1: Yes. I most certainly do. I'd prefer not to say anything other than [spoilers]sooner than you'd like[/spoiler], however.

2: It will be 90% text or more. The only real RPG stuff will be the resources. The main resource being morale.

3: Ohh, umm... ...Thank you?

4: Light cruisers are the next type of ship unlocked. And she is one of the first.
>> No. 196984
File 149713654328.jpg - (64.62KB , 540x960 , writefagduringETpuzzles.jpg ) [iqdb]
196984
>>196981
FUCK

SWITCH ALL VOTES TO 'INVESTIGATE NEXT TIER' THEY'RE ALL ME, I SWEAR.
>> No. 196986
File 14971491993.png - (130.48KB , 1000x1000 , Not to scale.png ) [iqdb]
196986
>>196984

Heh.
>> No. 196988
1. Murica ships. Possible at any point? (or, well, any others)

2. How well can we influence the particular ship of a line? If not, is it predetermined in a list, or influenced by who all we have?

3. Will we get random quests and events we can go out and sortie, or just continue to use resources?

4. How much customization will we be allowed to do to ships? Historical armaments only, or can we truly armchair general.

5. Can we get a rough outline of the tech tree? (or is it more like a skill list, where we must build 0/5 DD before CL is unlocked, and have 0/8 DD and 3 CL before additional unlocked?)
>> No. 196989
>>196988

1: For now, we're stuck with IJN ships.

2: It's predetermined to a degree, in that there has to be some form of connection.

3: In due time.

4: Customization is possible, yes. Not simple, but possible.

5: Advancement is a web of sorts. You research a ship, and I try to figure out who connects best to them. it's both set in stone and not, in that I have to constantly add more branches. Although, to research a new kind of ship isn't as simple. DDs skipping to BBs would turn the base into a kindergarten by the time you have a working BB.
>> No. 197100
So, any word on your lovely assistant? We needs us some more shippies.
>> No. 197101
>>197100

Soon.

In the mean time, Ghosts will be posted once he is no longer busy. The main issue in this one is that I need his advice and map help. I wasn't expecting to need exact information on supplies and the like, so I need to figure out how many are in the base, the layout of the base, and how many pounds of food and materials we have and the like.
>> No. 197390
File 149925218184.jpg - (314.54KB , 512x512 , I must conserve Mima pictures.jpg ) [iqdb]
197390
>>196922 Part 1

[X] Salute
[X] Light exercise routine
[X] Shower
[X] Breakfast
[X] Visit Kotohime About that beer I owed ya
[X] Consult Rika re:shore batteries and base defenses
-[X] Check on Inazuma [s]It's not like I care about you or anything...
[X] Lunch... With company
[X] Start a written report of all resources, staff, ongoing research, supply lines, base location and danger levels.
-[X] Bother everyone you have to, for as long as you have to: this will be the backbone of your decision making.


I suppose you could say I followed the last part a bit too closely, huh?

— - — - —

Looking around the room, you spy the green hair of the woman you need the assistance of. You're starting to notice how odd it is that you are picking the fae out from a crowd of many, though aren't feeling terribly worried about it. Mima alone is surrounded by over a dozen of her coworkers, from the look of the uniforms.
"What do you mean vanished? That's not good enough. I want footage, fingerprints, something! People don't just vanish."

You raise a brow, clearing your throat.

Mima spares you a glance. "A bit busy right now. Yukari and Ran vanished..." She puts on a mocking tone, complete with finger quotes "Without a trace."

"What?!"

"I don't know either. These idiots have reports of the situation, but no real details of where they went. People hardly just vanish out of the blue, and the ferry's still at the docks." Looking back to the gaggle, she barks, "Well?! Get on it! Get me information!" The lot of them scurry off, after quick salutes. Sighing, she turns her gaze back to you. Gone is the fiery anger. "So, what do ya need?"

The jarring shift in tone gives you a moment of pause. "...Well, I was looking to start a report on the base, but if you're so busy..." Especially with a missing CO.

Snorting, she says, "Nah, of course not. That's their job. I just need to direct them till they actually do it." Hopping to her feet, she stretches a bit. "If you need information, mind if I hitch a ride? May not be busy now, but I expect something to give soon."

While you don't think you classify as a fairy ferry, you're starting to wonder if others may have differing opinions. Regardless, you do allow it, as it is going to allow you to do your own job.

As you go, she comments, "Forgot what it's like at this height." You look to her, broken from your worries over your CO. It could it be the Abyssals, after all. "Ahh, sorry. Just been at rumba height for a while now's all. Forgot what the weather was like at this elevation."

You resist the urge to roll your eyes.

To be continued...
>> No. 197401
Guess we don't need that bus system with him on board.

Also, in b4 abyssal attack
>> No. 197407
File 149938153293.png - (199.91KB , 1920x1434 , Enhance.png ) [iqdb]
197407
>>196922 Part 1
>>197390 Part 2

— - — - —

"You know the way, right?"

"Well enough."

You hear an oddly loud snicker from your hand. "Y'know, you can ask me for directions. Heck, I got maps of maps of maps practically." You'll need to procure a map at some point, in that case. "And I won't even bother with the 'like the back of my hand' joke."

"The what?"

"What, you've never heard it?"

"No, I haven't."

She points forward. "Well, too bad. Not a good one, so I'm not bothering with a cliche." You're somewhat thankful for that. "Still, head that way." You follow each of the directions she gives, and are happy that she actually brought you here swiftly as can be. ...She must know a shortcut, as that wasn't the route you were expecting in the least. You reach to open the door, but she says, "Ahh-ahh-ahh! May not have a key, but it's electronic."

You raise a brow. "Aren't things like that ill advised?"

"Nah, the signal's too weak to be noticed. We're behind solid rock. Sure, communications outside the base can easily be heard by the Fish, but inside?" You nod, opening the door when you hear the click of the lock. "Y'know, we make a good team, you and I! I unlock doors, and you're actually tall enough to open them!"

That gives you pause. "Then how do you get in normally?"

"Well, ever see a human ladder?"

"...You can't be serious."

"Well, I tried climbing gear, but Konngara kinda wanted to strangle me after that. Not my fault that I have no real way into my office." She mutters something about grappling hooks.

The office is more or less as it was the first time you visited. On the wall, there is a particularly large map of the island. Oddly, it only covers what you imagine to be the immediate region of the island. You spy the key, and are more than a bit shocked at how large it is.

Mima appears to be following your eyes, as she says, "Good map, that one. Figured it was worth plastering on the wall, even if it doesn't give the most information. Got prettier maps, but none are quite so picturesque or relevant. My daughter helped me with it." She chuckles a bit, though there's a certain lack of mirth to it.

The appearance of a library still more or less is given off by the room, with rows of shelves. You still question the need for the shelf with children's book, but you imagine it will earn its keep one day.

"So, what do ya need exactly?" She puts on a more cutting expression once more, her big grin vanishing in an instant.

To be continued...
>> No. 197408
I wonder if her daughter is even alive in this war-torn world
>> No. 197415
File 149941873032.gif - (630.74KB , 1171x838 , Colorful.gif ) [iqdb]
197415
>>197407 Part 3

[b]— - — - —[/b

You set her down at what you imagine is her station, explaining, "I need information on our resources, current staffing, ongoing research if any, our supply lines, where the base is located and general danger levels of the surrounding sea."

Mima lets out a whistle. "Well, I got most of that, though we don't have a proper danger level map or anything. However, we do have a depth map, which is effectively the same thing. The deeper the water, the worse the risk of larger abyssals. It's why the coast is pretty much untouched." Pulling out a map, she hands it over with a little difficulty; it's a fairly large map. While you spread it out, she says, "Although, any attempts we've made to do more or less anything to the east have failed. Mining, fishing, you name it. Not a trace. Ever wanna investigate it? Get in touch with comms. Orange would have a better idea of where to start, as we've lost some good men out there. Think that Konngara lost some family in the mess, too. Probably appreciate closure, not that their fates aren't obvious enough, even if the details are."

You nod. "I'll keep it in mind."

To be continued...
>> No. 197417
I'll finish the next bit in the morning. Nearly done.
>> No. 197427
File 149946977313.jpg - (101.10KB , 960x469 , High ho High ho.jpg ) [iqdb]
197427
>>197415 Part 4

— - — - —

"Now..." Mima clears her throat, before continuing, "Our base is located aaaaaaa~" She holds that note while rummaging in a pile papers. Thankfully she doesn't take long, as she's no singer. "aaat N 29, E 167. Latitude and longitude respectively." If you had a map to work with, that would be easy enough to locate. Good. Another thing taken care of. "Or, to be less specific, just about smack dab in the middle of Japan and the continental US." The US... Not a name often said anymore, what with the hoards of separation. You always did wonder why that was. As strong as their navy was, surely they didn't fall.

Of course, there are nut jobs that pin every one of the nation's current woes on them, but why would they attack their own allies?

You're shaken from your thoughts by the slap of a heavy book landing on the table. "This here book should have all you need when it comes to personnel. You'll probably want to order some more, if you keep popping out ships, though. We're at a staffing loss in the hundreds once she takes to the sea. We have enough for three ships spare, so it's not an immediate issue, but once they down an Abyssal, well..."

"True. I hadn't considered that she may need assistance on some things."

"Anyways, for resources you'll want to check in with Konngara for construction crap, and edible stuff with Ellen. It's like getting water from a stone to get good data from him, but she's fairly diligent."

"...Him?"

"Ehh, whichever." She mutters her annoyance over androgynous sailors. "Anyways, as for supply lines, that's a really freaking slow barge for the hard to get stuff, and the rest we grow or dig up locally. But, well... that thing takes a freaking month for a round trip, so don't rely on it." Rummaging through another pile, she says, "No current research that actually use the black stuff. Probably changed since I last got an update; you were talking to Rikako, and Ina was just finished."

...Odd nickname. You wonder if the ship herself would appreciate it? She does seem to be a stickler for that name.

Continuing, the green head explains, "However, there's research on the ammo of that DD that's been on hold since the accident. There's also Rika's current tests on lab mice to study the long-term effects of Blood on biologicals. Probably not the best animal to choose, but better than a rat. Wouldn't wanna see what they'd bite through. It'd be bad enough if we end up with a containment breach and an infestation of super pests." You shudder at the thought. "But, seeing as Abyssals use literally live shells, that'd be significantly worse."

Tapping her lip a bit, she asks, "Anything I missed?"

— - — - —
[ ] Yes. A map of the base would be helpful.
[ ] No. You need to get going.
-[ ] Ellen first.
-[ ] Konngara first.
-[ ] Take these things to your station first.
--[ ] ...Where is your office, now that you think about it?
[ ] Yes. Write-in.
>> No. 197428
To clarify... Do you have a map ready to be posted if we vote for it?
>> No. 197429
>>197428

Yes.
>> No. 197430
>>197428

Two more, to be exact. Though one is only relevant later.
>> No. 197448
[x] Yes. A map of the base would be helpful.
>> No. 197449
[x] Yes. A map of the base would be helpful.
-[x] Along with its location.
>> No. 197459
File 149985956791.png - (70.14KB , 1920x1343 , Meira will read it.png ) [iqdb]
197459
[X] Yes. A map of the base would be helpful.

— - — - —

"There's only one other thing I need at the moment."

"Ohh?" Mima sounds more than a little curious — as if there's truly nothing else she can think of that you even could need.

You give a nod, before requesting, "I need a map of the base."

Her eyes light up with realization, before she nods in turn. "Right, right. How could I forget?" She dives back into her stacks of chaotic order, eventually coming back out for air. She holds out a folded square, saying, "This'll do the trick. Open it up."

You do just that, before raising a brow out of feeling that something is missing. "It seems to not have a key."

"Ahh, right." She makes her way over, rolling up what you hope isn't an important document. She begins pointing to each color in turn with it, explaining, "The light gray is the docks. The yellow is where the fuel is stored, lilac is R&D, orange is, well... ...Konngara's stuff. Lot of things there. She'll detail it when you ask, I'm sure. Mind you, the royal purple is also Konngara, but still. Her department is both the largest and most varied. Over in the green is the barracks, and the teal — and be sure to pay attention to the vaguely different shades between the two — is where the various offices are. The map's more a floor plan and general sort of map, and we don't exactly have the time to be bothering with more detailed maps."

"And where's my office?"

She points the tight roll at the teal. "With the rest of the offices. Orange, myself, Sariel and you are found in this general area. Your office is one of the smaller ones, as you don't exactly have a library you can't even really use."

...She sounds a bit bitter about that. "...If I'm reading the map right, are we... underground?"

"Yup. Base is built into the island. Only way to hide it, really."

"...Why is the fuel so exposed, then?"

She snorts. "Simple; getting through that much rock isn't easy, and they needed a place to store fuel early on to get the caverns going. And the rock's toughness goes both ways; even their shells can't all punch through that much rock."

Giving another nod, you fold up the map and carefully tucking it away after a bit of studying.

You think you'll save Ellen for last; a bit of sunshine might do you some good before getting to work. You doubt that things will be so terrible, but raised spirits are more conducive to doing a good job.

As you open the door to leave, a fairy runs in, shouting, "Boss, I located Yukari!" Mima simply raises a brow, and they continue, "Apparently she was just out taking a stroll on the island. Surveillance cameras spotted her heading out at 07:00 hours and some change."

Snorting, Mima mutters, "I swear, that woman will be the death of me." Sighing, she orders, "Alright. Go round up the others. Guess they don't have to get their panties in a bunch right now." Well, that's good. You were a bit concerned that something happened to your CO. You'd rather not have to sit through yet another funeral.

With that, you head for your second destination: resource acquisition. Things should go easily enough, or at least you hope.
>> No. 197460
File 149986527746.jpg - (126.64KB , 600x501 , The perfect storm.jpg ) [iqdb]
197460
>>197459 Part 1

— - — - —

You knock on the door with two deliberate strikes of your knuckle — no more, no less. A moment later, you are met with a quiet call of, "Come in!" It's about what you imagine to be the top of the lungs of the fae, for it to even reach you at all.

You find the door to be as unlocked as you had hoped when you test the knob. with a careful swing, you open the way into this hive of activity. There's far more going on than the prior day, just as the hall of this wing was more abuzz than any of the others. There seems to be fishing net making going on, though you question why it is being done in her office. Looking around, you spy Konngara messing with a bit of paperwork. It's fairly quiet for the sheer number of people crammed in the room, though you more attribute that to their size than anything else. Heading straight for her, you ask, "I need information on current inventory."

Konngara gives you an odd look, as well as a halfhearted salute. "Well, it's near done, but that's really somethin' that Mima should be givin' out." She snorts, before adding, "She's a bit of a perfectionist — makes her a real nuisance, it does. Not that she does a bad job or anything, but she acts as if data's gotta be accurate to the minute. Might be important for food and the like, but my equipment ain't goin' nowhere. Same with the fuel." Sighing, she continues to write, her pen held in a tight hug. "Just gimme a sec, sir. I'll have this done before you can get a word in edgewise." Not giving a chance to make that a lie, she asks, "Nice weather we're having though, hmm? Nice and rainy! Nothin' too bad, though. Fishin's not so good an idea when the seas get choppy. Choppy seas tend to get the Abyss into a right tizzy it does." Spinning her pen tip up and stomping the cap into the air, she stabs it closed. "There. Ya got yer data. Now, we've got nets to put together, if you don't mind, sir." She strikes a less distracted salute.

Before you know it, you've been ushered out. As small as she is, that's more than a little impressive. You look to the list she wrote up, finding it to detail quite a lot. This will do quite well for your needs, though you'll keep that bit of advice about Mima in mind for next time.

To be continued...
>> No. 197470
File 149994917649.jpg - (55.56KB , 1050x700 , P for Pen.jpg ) [iqdb]
197470
>>197460 Part 2

— - — - —

You arrive at the penultimate destination of the day. Your journey here has been fairly smooth sailing, and your newly acquired map helped you make record time. Of course, being that there are only two capable of setting such a thing, the title is far from as prestigious as one might hope.

Ignoring that your thoughts went on the oddest tangent, you knock on the doors to the kitchens. They may be push doors, but you would rather not ruin any delicate recipes. Why they might be serving souffles is beyond you, however. ...You may need a moment to relax more than you realized, as scatterbrained as you're being.

You expected some form of call to enter, but are instead shocked to be hit in the jaw when it swings. Rubbing your jaw, you look down, finding the small being of apparent pure joy and questionable innocence. However, she does put a small smile on your face when she cries, "Ohh♥! It's the Commander~! Come in, come in~ Are you here to request something out of the ordinary?"

"Actually—"

"Perhaps shark fin soup?"

"No, that's not— Wait, what?"

"Yes, we caught a few sharks recently! They seemed so happy about it, too~ They died with a big ol' smile♥"

...That's not quite what you'd call a smile. "Actually, I'm here on business."

Her pep and cheer abruptly shift to a sad little pout. "Aww. I was looking forward to fattening you up, Commander..." Smacking her cheeks, that ever present smile returns. "If not food, and you certainly don't need a bath... I suppose you need me?" She smiles up at you, while you look down with an incredulous case of deja vu. You're fairly certain that she said some variant of this yesterday.

"Err... Technically speaking?"

Her eyes light up. "Ohh?! I'm so happy that I can be of assistance♥"

You give a nod, explaining, "I need to take inventory, so I need to know how much food we have."

Nodding rapidly, she explains in turn, "Well, we've too many ingredients to detail them individually, but we've plenty of food." Humming, she fetches a pen and some paper, tacks it to the wall, and proceeds to... slash at it.

That she is actually managing to write legibly is more than a bit amazing.

When she finishes, those around the kitchen clap a bit. She bows for the chuckling crowd, before handing over the sheet. "Now, is this all you need?" She gives you a big, expectant smile.

— - — - —

[ ] Is there? Write-in.
[ ] Head for your office. It's time to get this over with.
>> No. 197471
[x] I needed to cheer up, but your smile already took care of that.
[X] Head to your office, it's time to finish this.

Hope we manage to finish our status report before something in expected happens.

Also, this inefficient way of finding information is good for peace times (increased morale too!) But we need to see if there's already a place to bark orders during an emergency
>> No. 197472
[x] I needed to cheer up, but your smile already took care of that.
[X] Head to your office, it's time to finish this.
>> No. 197498
>Also, this inefficient way of finding information is good for peace times (increased morale too!) But we need to see if there's already a place to bark orders during an emergency

Yes, we need canned orders over loudspeakers. That'll really set the stage!

In all seriousness, that would work if necessary. Though we do need a more centralized info room, anywho. Archive access?

If all of the teal structures contain the miscellaneous offices/cafeteria/etc, then there likely will be a good centralized area. Although... where on the last map is the base? And what does the red dotted line stand for?

As it is, vote is good. let's go with that.

[x] I needed to cheer up, but your smile already took care of that.
[x] Head to your office, it's time to finish this.
>> No. 197518
File 150055547941.png - (35.95KB , 300x300 , Red is the new purple duh.png ) [iqdb]
197518
[X] I needed to cheer up, but your smile already took care of that.
[X] Head to your office, it's time to finish this.

— - — - —

You give her your very best smile. It's not an easy task, what with the times both behind and ahead looming like a guillotine. However, it's your honest best. "I needed to cheer up, but your smile already took care of that for me."

"Ohh, you~" She hops surprisingly high for the express purpose of slapping your cheek. You're left with a small grin and a tiny hand print. "Commander, you're going to make me fall for you if you keep that up♥!" Her cheeks are red as you can imagine them being capable of, and her giggle is similarly cute. "Go on, you rascal. You have work, yes? Go on! Shoo! Shoo!" She looks quite a lot brighter than you're used to. Although, if her normal disposition were sunny, this would be more 'surface of the sun' territory.

Not wishing to be burned by her radiant smile, you say, "Alright. I'll get going, then."

Before you turn to leave, you notice that the cooking staff seem to find the interaction some flavor of adorable, the way they're all whispering and giggling. Your spirit raised and cheeks reddened, it's now time to get to work.

The trip to your office is more trial and error than anything particularly difficult. You knew the general vicinity, which wasn't far off, after all. However, the map lacking labels beyond color coding made things unnecessarily lengthy. Of course, before long, you did manage to find a very obvious office, in that it has your name on the door on a plate of engraved brass. Your hand latches onto the cool metal of the knob, and with a turn you are met with unexpected success. Within, you find a fairly bare office, thankfully lacking in any real windows. Being on a sinking ship twice doesn't make you and the sea on particularly good terms after all, so not having to see it is generally a plus.

Setting all before you on the table, you spy a key and a note. Glancing the fancy purple ink over, you find that Yukari left you a key for your office, though it isn't the only one. Pocketing it, you begin on your work. You glance over each individual option, eventually deciding to start on Konngara's handiwork. Ellen has served well as a quick break thus far, so why mess with a good thing?

You proceed to look over the list of information, copying it down for your own means.

One Rock Flow System Large conveyor for use in long, narrow paths/hallways to ease the transfer of rubble out of side paths. Useful when drilling out lots of side rooms off of a single artery.
Two Front Grinder/Conveyor Systems For drilling medium passages
Four Front Loaders
Four Dump Trucks
Two Excavators
One boring machine For dynamite
One Rock Straight System Modified for 50 foot heights It’s that super ceiling holding thing you saw
One barge excavator For dredging the actual channel and for taking out the detritus to dump
500 6 ft x 1000 ft rolls of ceiling 3,000,000 square feet total. We’ve used about 400,000 square feet
10,000 reinforcement poles and associated materials
100,000 lbs of nitrate explosives


You can't help but raise a brow at the footnotes. It's entirely possible that he was using them for himself or someone else's benefit, though they aren't what you would call particularly necessary for your needs. Still, they do give a basic understanding of what some things are used for, so you appreciate it nonetheless.

Setting aside the inventory, you reach for the manifest of every worker within the facility. As you expect numbers in the thousands, you doubt you will be reading them individually.

To be continued...
>> No. 197537
File 150081918264.jpg - (176.06KB , 576x768 , Not dessert.jpg ) [iqdb]
197537
>>197518 Part 1

— - — - —

Flipping to the table of contents, you find a note that it's current as of last week. That being said, it should only lack yourself and the Inazuma, or so you would expect. There is no new arrivals section, and you wouldn't know where to begin looking, as long as this book is.

There are various sections that no doubt detail their subject matter, from fishermen to construction workers. Cooks to janitors. Sailors to military police. The list goes on, and the overall total, after you add them all up, comes to over 3,000 men and women, over a third of which seeming to be under Konngara. The rest are, of course, split amongst the other departments in far more reasonable smatterings. It may be wise to look into just how well she manages them down the line. She may be overwhelmed for all you know.

The cover slaps closed on the great record, and you set it aside amongst its kin. After the data points of importance have been recorded, you move on to the next segment: edible resources. You seem to have an oddly large variety of food, including papayas, mangoes, durians, spinach, swordfish, the aforementioned shark, tuna, beef, pork, lamb, milk, figs, chocolate, avocados and many more oddities. There also happens to be a note that there is an area of the island used to grow food to supplement what they have, which, once more, you will need to look into down the road. You haven't heard a thing of it as of yet.

However, unlike what was said, the hardtack isn't the only sort of ration on-site. There are also meat rations and beans. They seem mainly intended for voyaging away from the base, from another stylized note you spy.

Within the next several hours of reading and writing, rereading and rewriting and various combinations thereof, you finally have your finished document, which you proceed to date and seal in a thick envelope. Just as you're finishing up, you hear a knocking at the door.

"Come in. The door is unlocked."

The rapping at the door repeats, and then you realize they must not be able to actually open it. You may need to consider leaving your door ajar until the fae have an easier way in than doing something absurd such as a human ladder or wall climbing.

Standing, you arch your back and lace your fingers upwards to a series of pops, before making your way for the door. The wooden thing opens easily as it did before. You look down, but find nobody to be here.

However, there is a bowl of soup resting on the ground. Its smell is all it takes to remind you that you must eat, for your stomach growls in irritation at its emptiness. As you lift the bowl, you hear a squeak from under as they are left dangling from it. "Goodness, Commander! You really surprised me, there!" It seems that Ellen has brought you food. Her thoughtfulness brings a smile to your face, and you offer her a hand to drop into. "Ohh! Thank you♥" She proceeds to drop from the bottom of her delivery, landing in your hand. "I never saw you at dinner, so I figured you might be hungry."

— - — - —

[ ] Thank. Your mother didn't raise an ingrate.
[ ] A bit of conversation while you eat might be nice.
[ ] Ask what it is. It does smell wonderful.
[ ] Ask what it is. The story of her cooking left you cautious.
[ ] Joke about how you must be hard to miss. You're over ten times her height.
[ ] Ask if she carried it all the way here. The bowl is bigger than she is, after all.
[ ] Write-in.

— - — - —

Okay, y'know what? This segment is getting to be too much. I have standards to give as much detail as humanly possible even on subjects I know little about, but I feel it's time to disregard those standards in favor of actually doing something. If you wanted paperwork simulator 2017, I'm sorry, but I don't. And, as such, I'm going to start speeding things up on the front of busy work. The focus of this story isn't the boring part of bureaucracy. No, it's the dialogue that leads up to it, as well as, of course, battle. So, let's get on with this, as this segment is killing my desire to not just shove in a vote as an excuse to write a bit of something else. My intent originally was to have vague and/or arbitrary values for each resource, much like the series itself. Mind you, there will be additional resources, as most of us don't drink motor oil.

Hopefully.

So, let's get this story moving forward, as I want to actually reach my goals for the plot sooner rather than a year into the story.

And no, I'm not blaming you guys; this is all my fault that it's taking a godawful time to pass the first proper day. I do not want a repeat of a Halloween party I wrote off and on for a year.

>> No. 197538
[X] A bit of conversation while you eat might be nice.

We got a big hunk of work done, its the end of the day.
>> No. 197539
File 15008269713.jpg - (96.52KB , 520x600 , 1498347947156.jpg ) [iqdb]
197539
>If you wanted paperwork simulator 2017, I'm sorry, but I don't.

Thank fuck. When I saw fucking rolls of ceiling being detailed of all things I knew I was in deep shit.

Look: that vote was barely an excuse for you to give us easy to understand voting choices in a regular fashion. Something like this, but actually good:

'50 hours of time available'

[x] Improve ships
-[x] Research X, X1 Hours
-[x] Research Y, Y1 Hours-NOT AVAILABE, NEEDS M0RE RESOURCE Z
[x] Research new ships
-[x] A, A1 Hours
-[x] B, B1 Hours

[x] Base
-[x] Project C NOT AVAILABLE, NEEDS C1
-[x] Project D, D1 Hours NOT AVAILABLE, NOT ENOUGH TIME

Etc.


Oh, yeah, the vote:

[x] Thank. Your mother didn't raise an ingrate.
[x] A bit of conversation while you eat might be nice.
>> No. 197541
>>197539

That bit was actually my lovely assistant helping me, as I wasn't entirely sure where to begin. I more or less copy pasted the notes he helped me put together on the subject and edited them a bit to fit in. It was at that point that I started to realize I was getting a bit too obsessed with paperwork realism. But yeah, sorry about the demo to the riveting new installment of Paperwork Simulator. I can be a bit stubborn when it comes to things I feel I must do, as I tend to find small things and obsess over them now and then.

Also, thank you for the feedback. Votes are not a specialty of mine, so I'm still trying to figure them out even after over a year of writing on this site. They tend to often be the hard part of any update that has them, as I'm used to writing without them. Could you explain those

However, this pacing issue should solve itself for this story at least, once the story hits full swing. Still thinking about how to fix the pacing issue with ET. That my very first story was a 200k word one that took place over the course of about a week speaks worlds for

Also, I like that research voting idea. I may have to stuff it in my notes as a reference, as it could potentially help keep them straight. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
>> No. 197542
>>197541
Hey, it is just me, or the paragraphs seem to end on a random
>> No. 197543
>>197542

Oops. Uhh... ignore that! I eventually figured out the exact meanings! Head's been a bit backwards lately.
>> No. 197552
File 150132443916.jpg - (20.88KB , 300x300 , Not your typical soup.jpg ) [iqdb]
197552
[1] Thank. Your mother didn't raise an ingrate.
[2] A bit of conversation while you eat might be nice.

— - — - —

You give her a smile. Even if one would be hard pressed to beat the intense joy found within hers, you settle for that silver medal. "Thank you, Ellen." You begin walking towards your station, ensuring that you spill not one drop of either portion of your precious cargo.

"Ohh, Commander~ Your manners are so refreshing♥!" Perking up beyond the norm when she notices your odd look, she explains, "Ohh, it's just that, well... fairies are still people. We may all be adorable, but sailors are still sailors, with their roughness, gruffness, loudness, proudness and, well... the sheer creativity they put into their language!" She giggles, practically fizzing up with bubbliness. "Some of the things they say are almost funny~" She glances to the side, all joy evaporating. "Almost." Twitching, she smacks her cheeks, as she did earlier. "A-anyways, how do you like it?"

"Ahh, well... you distracted me a bit." You deposit her on the desk, taking a seat yourself. Setting down the still hot meal, you begin to eye the bowl a bit. It looks like a soup, or perhaps a stew if you want to be generous, though it seems oddly... gelatinous. "What is it?"

"It's a seeecreeeeeet~" She snickers, her mouth buried in her hands.

You snort a bit. You shouldn't allow yourself such a display, but you can't help the way she makes it hard not to speak freely. Looking back to your meal, you prod it a bit with the spoon, before trying a sip of the broth. Licking your lips, you comment, "Well, it's very..." Potent. "...flavorful." A bit heavy on something, but you aren't sure what exactly.

"Mm-hmm! I made sure to balance the flavors a bit towards taste, as the main ingredient is said to be a taaaad lacking in flavor itself. But go on, go on!" She gives you a grin bigger than you'd expect. "Try it and see~"

You use your spoon to get at some of the odd, rubbery contents of the bowl, finding that they are what makes it seem so oddly gelatinous. You work your jaws on it as you chew, raising a brow. "...It's as flavorless as you claimed." That doesn't stop you from eating it, of course. "Oddly chewy, and..." You almost want to say it's got a particularly sinewy characteristic. "A bit like a soft rubber?"

"Ohh? Interesting..." She appears to have donned a thinking cap. "Commander, let me try it~" At your odd look, she gives you a pout. "What, can I not?"

As she opens her mouth, you it dawns on you that she intends for you to feed her personally.

— - — - —

[ ] Be gentle. It obviously wouldn't fit.
[ ] Ease it in. You don't want to hurt her.
[ ] Push the whole end in. She seems like she would stretch easily enough.
[ ] Let her feed herself; you aren't quite sure you like the way your face is heating up
>> No. 197556
[x] Ease it in. You don't want to hurt her.

Go, thinly-veiled innuendo!
>> No. 197565
[x] Ease it in. You don't want to hurt her.
-[x] If she looks like she'll stretch, then push it in. It's for SCIENCE.
>> No. 197570
File 150176683817.png - (1.07MB , 3000x3000 , 100th update means arting.png ) [iqdb]
197570
[x] Ease it in. You don't want to hurt her.

— - — - —

As small as she is, surely she can't handle much done to her. Under this assumption, you blow on the contents of the spoon a bit in preparation for her. For her part, Ellen giggles. "You know, a little heat won't be a big deal for me." She does seemed touched, however, given her mannerisms.

All you can do is accept that with a nod, yet you defend, "Even so, the soup is still fairly hot. If I'm feeding you, I'd rather not give you too much too fast and end up with a mess on my desk when you spit it back out."

She beams at that claim as well. "You're very kind, Commander♥"

"...Thank you." Although, you feel undeserving of such praise over such a small thing as cooling soup. The things you hear about her food mean that her burning her taste buds may worsen morale, after all. Still, that leaves feeding her still in need of doing. "Open wide, now." She nods, opening wider, her tiny tongue only the size of an earthworm, if that. Her pearly whites are likewise smaller, being so small that you imagine them being as fragile as thin glass.

With your warnings and cautions out of the way, you place the tip of the spoon against her bottom lip. The heat would of course transfer, making it a simple way to make one last attempt at caution. With how she simply looks up at you trustingly, you take that as assent to go further by the lack of reaction. Her cheeks are stretched wide, but her mouth is still a tiny thing, which you treat thusly. You only push the spoon a quarter of the way in before you stop, tilting it forward just a bit so as to deposit your potent meal in an easily swallowed amount.

You're surprised, however, when she grips the sides of your spoon, pushing it deeper and deeper into her stretched cheeks. By the halfway point, the stretching is at its peak of width, and now instead must handle depth. Three quarters are reached, and three quarters swiftly passed not long after. And, when she finally reaches the base, there is only one thing on your mind.

She reminds you of a hamster you had as a young boy, which puts a smile on your face.

With the overspiced contents of the spoon deposited, you give it a tug, and it eases back out with a pop. Ellen seems to be thinking as she crunches the generous gelatinous hunk you broke off for her, eventually saying, "Maybe a little less salt..." She winces visibly after finally deciding it unworthy. "I'll do better next time, Commander!" With that, she gives you a peck on the finger and scampers off, leaving you vaguely bewildered.

— - — - —

Bonus Scene!

[ ] Small
[ ] Smaller
>> No. 197571
[x] Small

Make a mess, hehehehe
>> No. 197572
[X] Smaller
>> No. 197603
Third person it is, I guess!
>> No. 197610
File 150211924365.png - (109.79KB , 312x500 , Strip her for bonus accuracy.png ) [iqdb]
197610
[X] Smaller
[X] Small

— - — - —

Rika smiled down at her little experimental mouse, wishing she could violate protocol and just hug the thing. It's just so cute, that glassy black head it has. She looked to be growing healthier by the day, and yet still was not showing any signs of aggression. All going according to plan, from the look of things.

Still, she had one thing she felt that needed to be done still. There was a girl in the base — a small girl that they made to fight — and she needed company. Rika knew that it was likely she hadn't slept much. From what she understood of it, sleep was manually activated and unnecessary. She didn't seem the type to hide from pain. either; she was a fighter, like Chiyuri. The thought of that fighting spirit the blonde sailor has made the brunette grumble a bit and rub her nose.

While the A-mouse was left to rip into her hearty meal, Rika began to head for the docks.

And she headed.

And headed.

And headed for some time, nothing of interest happening in the base. As late as it was, she wasn't likely to run into anyone, so the walk was more than a little du— "Oof!" Rika was left sprawled on her back, groaning not from pain but out of frustration. "Why does this always have to happen...?" As she sat up, she spied a familiar mass of golden curls. "Miss Ellen?"

The golden heap swung her head upright, hopping to her feet. "Hmm?" After recognition dawned, so too did her smile. "Ohh! Hello, Rika~" She offered her still sitting co-worker a hand, which Rika gladly took before being yanked up to her feet. "Sorry about that~ I was just daydreaming about a particular man♥"

"Err..." As few men worth getting interested over as there were in the base, Rika figured she could guess at who. "...Alright...?" However, she wasn't about to discuss something as embarrassing as boys with Ellen of all people. "...I should get going. I have stuff that needs doing."

The blonde tilted her head, quite curious. "Ohh? Going where? It's late to have things that need doing."

Rika rubbed the back of her head, a bit put out. "Well, I need to check on the Inazuma."

"Ohh! Can I come~? I've been wanting to find out the sorts of foods she might like anyways~"

Giving her an odd look, the brunette shrugged. "If you want, I guess...?"

With that, the two headed on, though Rika had to quicken her pace to keep up with Ellen's incessant skipping. By the time they arrived, Rika was just a bit out of breath, though knew it would probably help in the coming training regiment or whatever it was that Meira had in store. She didn't really get why she was the one being targeted, though. Of the three, she was in the worst shape, and, of the three, she was the one that caused the least trouble during their little spat. Heck, she was the one that got her nose busted.

Sighing, the six-inch woman looked left and right, spying Ina quickly due to her lights being on. She was carefully seated on the edge of the docks, and Rika wasn't sure if that would cause damage sooner or later, but as heavy as the Inazuma was, she had a feeling Ina was just a bit heavy for her size. Rika called out, "I'm back, Ina!" Of course, her shout was little more than a particularly noisy squeak, but it got the comparatively giant child's attention all the same.

It was just a teensy bit unsettling that her guns trained on her the same as her head did, but, from her studies on their nature, they seem to possibly see with them. She could forgive something like that, so long as she didn't start opening fire or something. The way that her eyes lit up with recognition, followed by her cheeks splitting with a smile, made the trip feel worth it, however. "Umm... Good evening, Rika." Training her eyes and guns on ellen, she bowed her head. "And to you as well... Mrs Ellen." Rika figured the pause was from her trying to remember the name.

Giggling, Ellen corrected, "I'm not married, silly." Eyes drifting up thoughtfully, she swiftly added, "Yet, at least."

Ina blushed a bit, which Rika eyed closely. "Umm... Okay...?" The redness was odd, given the blackness of the blood. Assuming you could even truly call it blood, of course. She had noticed this trend among them already, of course, but it still baffled her. Then the Inazuma looked back to Rika, asking, "How's Nazrin doing?" The shipgirl looked quite interested, earning a chuckle from the older woman.

Ellen seemed confused, however. "Nazrin?"

Rika answered, "Well, I've been taking care of a—"

Ellen's eyes sparkled with interest. "You have a pet?! Can I see??" Scratch that. She sounded desperate to see the mouse.

"I can't really—"

"Please ohh pleasepleaaaaseplease!"

Rika couldn't help but blink, sharing a glance with Ina. The two were equally surprised at how insistent she was being.

Rika hesitated a moment, before saying, "...Alright. But I can't let her out." No matter how much Rika wanted to cuddle the thing, she knew that they could be far more deadly than her cute little nose made her seem. "But not now. Maybe some other time." For now, she had to keep a girl from loneliness. Not that she was any good at it, what with Chiyuri's reaction to, well... everything. ...But it wasn't for a lack of trying.

— - — - —

[ ] Till
[ ] Death
[ ] Do
[ ] We
[ ] Part
>> No. 197611
[X] Till
>> No. 197612
Could've swore we did this one already

[X] Till
>> No. 197613
Could've sworn we did this one already

[X] Till
>> No. 197636
[X] Till
>> No. 197671
>>197612

We have. Twice, in fact. And twice more yet to come.
>> No. 197675
>>197671

Okay, I'mma eat my words! He was right, dang it! I re-double checked while looking for the previous part of the sequence, and well...

Freaking reusable votes... Freaking alt + F failing me...

So, uhh... ...As such, I suppose I have no votes to work with against all odds. I knew he was right, yet couldn't find the update in question when first I looked. As such, I assumed that we were both going crazy, as my memory is absolutely terrible.

As such, as the vote doesn't teeechnically matter in the long run, I'm going to just choose the one that comes next in sequence!

Time for light and fluffy memories...
>> No. 197676
File 150279319971.jpg - (102.27KB , 1440x1080 , Adrift on a sea of tears.jpg ) [iqdb]
197676
[X] Death

— - — - —

You strike a crisp salute; the first one you gave.

The first time you met; the beginning of the end.

Harsh yet fair — a good CO to have.

Arrow through your heart. Thankfully not literally.

Sound advice given. Sound advice remembered.



Ever closer, day by day; the two now inseparable.

Boundaries nearing, boundaries passed. Two sailors in love.

Not knowing loss, and not knowing war. Not one battle seen.

Calm waters pass by as calmer memories fill.

Closer than should be; on that night, two joined as one.

Never the same again. But happier for a time.


You strike a crisp salute; the last one you give.

You ship out, not knowing what to expect. No one does.

Mina smiles at you as you pass. The last you witness.

A spray of water from behind. Fear rises like bile.

You spin and run after. Dread builds with every step.



You arrive at the haunting scene. You spy your wife bleeding.

You pull her from the water. She isn't breathing.

You check her pulse. It is silent as can be.

You salute, though it's empty. An open casket.

You cry for your lost love. But only inside.

A burial at sea. It's what she would have wanted.

You will never forget. She made you who you are today.



You wake with a smile that would be at home on Ellen's face, and with tears likewise unsuited to it. Sighing, you wipe them away with a knuckle; the sweetness of that dream has just a little bitterness tainting it. She's dead, after all, no matter how real the dreams feel... You look to the picture of you and your wife, resting not far from you. You're not normally one to dwell on things too much, as this is the life you chose, but you can forgive the occasional bout of sentimentality.

Defying your nature, you pick up the picture and give it a light peck. Not one word leaves your lips, but if she's out there watching, you think she would know you love her still no matter how dense she could be.

No matter how short your time together was, it was something special. She was someone irreplaceable.

— - — - —

-R&D likely have an update on the fairy transit system.
-You need to look into drilling the Inazuma at some point, or look for someone who holds the job proper.
--You also promised R&D that they would have to join in. Looking into availability is wise.
-You may also want to check in with Yukari, assuming she hasn't already left.

[ ] Plan your schedule. Write-in.
>> No. 197677
[x] Start the drilling, have the R&R girls fill you up when you're done.

Heh
>> No. 197713
>>197677
Perhaps finding Yukari first might be better?

[x] Locate the Gap commander.
[x] If she's left or not easily found, send a minion to locate her.
[x] Then proceed to drill Inazuma, getting R&D when you can.
>> No. 197735
File 15033026575.png - (20.93KB , 960x480 , Get it.png ) [iqdb]
197735
Could use a tie breaker.
>> No. 197747
File 15034251669.png - (160.43KB , 458x750 , tumblr_nqtioxWVdO1rne1ubo1_500.png ) [iqdb]
197747
Biannual reminder that this is waiting at the next research tier.
>> No. 197748
>>197747

Ohh, quite~ One of the threads of the plot at large I look forward to most, in fact.
>> No. 197753
[x]>>197713

This looks fine.
>> No. 197756
I'll see about finishing up tomorrow. 1.1k words in so far.
>> No. 197757
File 150360439114.jpg - (290.50KB , 850x1224 , Ellen may be needed.jpg ) [iqdb]
197757
[x] Locate the Gap commander.
[x] If she's left or not easily found, send a minion to locate her.

[x] Then proceed to drill Inazuma, getting R&D when you can.

— - — - —

First thing's first: Yukari needs to be updated on the status of things. Now, you could ask Orange for help, but Mima seems to be keeping an eye on her from the talk of her actually noticing her disappearance. And, at a time such as this, finding Mima eating is likely, if not Yukari herself.

Besides, food is important, no matter how much work needs doing. Ignoring that today shall be a simpler day. However, today shall be none the less important. After all, you have to begin drilling the Inazuma, as well as investigate just what sort of formal training she has as of this point.

After a quick shower, you head for the mess with food and CO in mind. There, you spy Mima and Yukari alike. However, for now you head for neither, instead going for the most chipper blonde you've met. That smile you spy as you approach remains as infectious as ever. "Good morning, Ellen."

Having spied you from far off for obvious reasons, she greets, "Good morning, Commander♥ How did you sleep? We're having oatmeal this morning!"

You look to the steaming oaty sludge, considering what might be different about it. This at least seems an average color, as opposed to the green soup or gelatinous one. "So it seems." You do spy what you think to be berries within it, however. Ever the creative cook, it seems, even within more standard meals. "I slept well. Yourself?" For once. It's quite nice, not waking in a cold sweat.

"Ahh." She doesn't immediately answer, and sounds slightly evasive when she does. "...I slept as well as ever, Commander." She does give you that same cheerful smile as ever, however, so perhaps it's nothing.

Taking a few ladlefuls of the steaming oats, you nod. "I'll see you at lunch, then."

Her brightest smile becomes all the more brilliant. "Good luck with work, Commander♥"

"Thank you." With that, you head for Yukari, who also easily spots you coming, as you and Kotohime stick out like a sore thumb. "Ahh, Meira... I see you're well." She looks you up and down with those eyes of hers. "Perhaps better than ever, in fact? Come, sit with us." You take the seat not flanked by them both, as you needn't talk to Ran at this point. "I'm leaving this night, so it's convenient you're showing up. When the ship next returns the night after, you shall be getting a new arrival."

You raise a brow, wondering just what she means. "A new arrival?"

"Ohh, yes. That little bundle of nerves is only the first success, after all. You had R&D look into a sister for that girl. A good choice. Not a right or wrong one, but that autonomy is good nonetheless. I picked well, it seems..." She smiles. "Right! Well, I leave the base in your hands. You may do what you want, how you want and however you see fit. You are not special, and you will do well to remember this. I expect the next naval base to crop up in a year's time, so, should you fail, don't worry. It may be your heads, but the rest of us on mainland should survive a while longer."

At your increasingly incredulous look, she answers, "Yes, I know. Sudden, right? I'm a busy woman, and I've bigger Fish to fry. You still answer to me, but you need only give status reports. This is not a war one can win on their own; you know this, and you recognize this as well. Both are good traits in a commander of men." Her lips quirk into a smirk of a smile. "Be sure to welcome the girl when she shows up tomorrow night. A distant relative of Aoko, if I'm not mistaken, so this should solve some loneliness issues. She even has the same 'qualities', making it quite likely that she will be able to avoid the same fate that has claimed so many, one way or the other."

"Qualities?" You don't think you like the sound of that.

"Ohh, yes. She's—" Ran clears her throat, earning a huff from Yukari. "Very well, Ran. I suppose I will leave it at 'special,' if only for now. Need to know information and such, sad as it is."

You nod, and begin eating your food, knowing not to push to settle petty curiosity. As you chew, you quickly realize that it's not so much fresh fruit as various sundried sorts. It's good, though you can't place the kind of berries. It's certainly no raisin, that's for sure.

Half way through your meal, Yukari and Ran make their way out, and you exchange a silent farewell. By the time you finish, you notice that the Inazuma seems to have arrived, oddly enough, as convenient as that happens to be. However, what makes it odd is that she seems to lack those small-scale versions of her weaponry, and is sitting on a chair without it buckling like a house of cards under a bowling ball. "Inazuma?"

She looks up from her... meal, if you want to stretch the term to the breaking point. She has what looks like a small can of oil. She smiles up at you, her lips slick with the fuel. "Good morning, Sir." She gives you a small salute, which you return with a nod. You then look her over, and she grows just a bit nervous under your scrutiny. "Sir...?"

"I was just wondering how you're managing to sit."

She perks up, answering, "Ahh! Well, it seems R&D doesn't quite understand how I work yet, but it seems that my backpack is removable. Oddly, when it was removed, I returned to a normal weight." She seems pleased as punch, thinking about it.

"And the... oil, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Rika thinks I'll go mad if I don't sleep or eat or drink." ...Blunt. "So, as I can refuel through my mouth, they had me drink this."

You shudder just a bit at the thought. "And does that taste... good to you?"

"Erm... no, sir. I turned off my taste receptors after a single sip." She winces at the memory. "But... if it makes them able to help others, I'll try their ideas out. I'm just happy to be able to move about, honestly." Taking a sip from the least lucky straw in the world, she asks, "So, erm... you spoke of drilling us?"

You nod, answering, "Yes, that's right. I want you to be prepared for duty as soon as possible." No matter how absurd the prospect should normally be. "As such, for today session, we shall stick to the basics."

"Erm... Sir, with all due respect, I do know the basics." She then starts blinking. "...Oddly well, in fact?" Her eyes go blank a moment, and she adds, "...Umm... I should probably talk to R&D about this before we do. I... don't remember doing a lot of this, and yet I... remember doing it...? If that even makes sense..." She seems more than a little confused.

— - — - —

[ ] Write-in
>> No. 197758
File 150362967653.png - (0.99MB , 763x1066 , my 8 million gods can't be this cute.png ) [iqdb]
197758
[x] Maybe the abyssal whose blood you have in your veins killed and absorbed the abilities of innocent soldiers!

B U L L Y

T H E

T I N Y


[x] Nah, just kidding. They're probably the memories of the crew that once commandeered the original version of the ship you are now.
-[x] Wait, doesn't that make you the reincarnation of our national heroes from old?
>> No. 197759
[X] Well it's from either the Abyssal blood or the original Inazuma, unless RD has been feeding you instructional video cellophane in your sleep.
>> No. 197784
[x] They're probably the memories of the crew that once commandeered the original version of the ship you are now.
-[x] Wait, doesn't that make you the reincarnation of our national heroes from old?
-[x] Either that, or it's a result of the blood...
-[x] ...
-[x] ...You need to go and talk to R&D about this. If so... is this related to Abyssal reactions?

To OP, do we have any descriptions or diagrams of the abyssals available, or anything more specific about them being used against us?

If it's directly inspired by the abyssal half of her, then the aggression could be related towards the abyssal composition.
>> No. 197789
>>197784

Something to look into as part of a daily schedule. Surely there has to be something, right?
>> No. 197791
As I have to wait on G being looked over and World of Warships is down for maintenance, I suppose I'll have to write this! Ignoring that I was looking forward to this anyways.

>>197758

Boy do I ever look forward to writing for those four, should we acquire more than two of them!
>> No. 197792
>>197791
Well, if you want, you just need to tell us how to get the other two!
>> No. 197793
File 150414536859.png - (544.91KB , 652x820 , The ship that made me hate KC.png ) [iqdb]
197793
>>197792

With due time. It will get easier to predict in the future. For now, there's too little data to come to conclusions. That will come later on.

Although, I do intend to somehow make them all likable. Some will just be trickier, such as Iowa.
>> No. 197810
File 150449633354.jpg - (437.12KB , 1000x1123 , shun the blonde iowa! shuuuuun.jpg ) [iqdb]
197810
>>197793
I found a way to improve it.
>> No. 197812
>>197810

I'm trying to avoid touching that kettle of fish as much as possible. Plus, it's that exact kind of exploitability that birthed this story to begin with. To twist canon, fanon and history is my hope. Still, we shall see. I could also use both, of course. That could be... interesting, at least.
>> No. 197814
Updates when?
>> No. 197816
>>197814

Nearly done, actually. I just had some complications along the way in both this and Ghosts, then had to research some stuff for this. ...Actually, I think I got distracted while about to proofread it.

Uhh... See you soon?
>> No. 197818
File 150450923063.png - (488.78KB , 610x789 , One of those days.png ) [iqdb]
197818
[x] They're probably the memories of the crew that once commandeered the original version of the ship you are now.
-[x] Wait, doesn't that make you the reincarnation of our national heroes from old?
-[x] Either that, or it's a result of the blood...
-[x] ...
-[x] ...You need to go and talk to R&D about this. If so... is this related to Abyssal reactions?

As all three are a different flavor of the same thing, I chose the one I liked best.

— - — - —

Silly as the thought may seem, could it be that she has the memories of the sailors that once served aboard her namesake? After all, as much as Fish like to defy the laws of physics, this is hardly such a crazy thought. Or, another step above that, could it be that she is the embodiment or reincarnation of a hero of old? It may be wild speculation, but there has to be a reason behind this. Plus, your wild speculation does distract from that fear in your gut that the source is less heroic than it seems.

With how much blood they pumped into her... "...Let's take you to R&D."

"Yes, sir." She proceeds to knock back her small portion of fuel, before rising from her seat. That was a bit less feminine than you expect of her, making you raise a brow. "...Sir?"

You shake your head. "No, it's nothing." She looked like she took a shot, but you're not about to say as such. With silence reigning, you bring her along, finding R&D to be thankfully near. You do notice that Rika seems to be struggling not to pass out if you had to take a guess. Either she isn't a morning person to a fairly extreme degree, or she got little sleep for one reason or another. "Good morning."

Chiyuri strikes a salute, looking the most lively of the three. "Good morning, Sir."

Of course, Rikako retains her increasingly typical level of seemingly perpetual tiredness when she nods from her tablet. "Good morning."

While Rika yawns, you declare, "I have a few concerns on the Inazuma I need to make known." The Inazuma looks at you with worry.

Rikako's eyes now drift up. "Shoot."

"She seems to be remembering things she claims to have never done." Rikako's brow quirks, and you you look to the Inazuma to explain her issue.

The tiny ship begins to explain, "Well... I remember the limited amount of training they gave before they shipped me here, but... I remember more. A lot more, even. I remember so, so much more..."

Rikako rubs her chin, before asking, "What is your name?"

"Inazuma."

"What else."

"...I've been called Ina a few times."

"What else."

She hesitates. "...I used to be Aoko?"

"Anything else?"

She hesitates longer, and her eyes go distant once more, as if she's looking but not seeing. She has the look on her face as if something is on the tip of her tongue. As if there is something she can't quite remember, and yet she knows she should. Eventually the silence breaks, and she lets out a sigh. "I can't remember..."

Rikako frowns, and begins to list what seem to be names. "Tomura Kiyoshi, Kawahashi Akifumi," and, receiving no response to the two, she finishes, "Tokiwa Teizo." The Inazuma eyes light up with recognition, to which Rikako nods. "It's as I expected, then."

You arc a brow, asking, "As you expected?"

"Nothing I can say. She is fine, however. I'm afraid it's need to know information."

...Again with that response. While you understand that some things are above your paygrade, you hope you aren't to be kept in the dark on everything.

— - — - —

[ ] Continue with drilling as per the norm. Request R&D presence.
[ ] Alter your methods. Just the two of you today.
-[ ] Don't treat her like a fresh recruit. Try to figure out what she knows.
-[ ] Put her through her paces. Don't go easy on her.
-[ ] Test her knowledge. Pop quiz.
-[ ] Write-in.
>> No. 197819
[x] Continue as planned

They told me I didn't need to know.

So I told them they didn't need to breathe.
>> No. 197833
[X] Alter your methods. Just the two of you today.
-[X] Test her knowledge. Pop quiz.

That is a very worrisome need to know.
>> No. 197852
[x] Continue as planned.

We'll have more deviances arise as we go. Still, if we alter our plans, that might drive Ina to further stress. That might... exacerbate issues.
>> No. 197859
[x] Continue as planned

No need to worry Zuma for now
>> No. 197878
File 150512874228.jpg - (398.50KB , 850x607 , Poor girl.jpg ) [iqdb]
197878
[X] Continue as planned.
-[X] Drill the Inazuma
-[X] Add R&D to the mix when the time comes.

— - — - —

For the time being, you will just have to treat her as a fresh recruit, ignoring that she may now have more military experience than you. ...When you think of it that way, things may rapidly approaching some level of awkward. "I see. Very well, then. Now, as for the three of you joining?"

Rika groans lengthily while her sister requests, "I must ask that Rika take a leave of absence from this session."

Your brow quirks in equal parts curiosity and concern. You half expect a non-answer or brush off again at this rate, but you have more than enough discipline to not show it. "As for the reason?"

It isn't the head of R&A to respond to the question, but the ship flanking you. "Ahh, that's... a little bit my fault, Sir."

You turn to her, asking, "Ohh?" Not the cause you were expecting, but you'll take it. "Explain."

She nervously fidgets, looking more than a little embarrassed. "Well... she came to keep me company last night, as I'm having trouble sleeping anymore. ...Or, to be honest, I'm having trouble not staying awake 24 hours a day. It led up to my rigging being removed, letting me actually travel around the base. They were keeping me company, as the dark was a bit... frightening, being all alone in the docks. I... I don't like being alone after... after..." She's trembling, that much is obvious.

You place a hand atop her head and give it a short ruffle. She could call you out on it being treatment one might give to a child, but there are few methods as effective on your mind. "It's okay. You don't have to be alone now." Whatever it might be that she went through, you hope she's not too traumatized by it. That said, you turn to the only other one with purple hair. "Request granted." Rika's groaning finally ceases with that.

The Inazuma looks up at you over her bangs. "Umm... Thank you, Commander."

Rikako adds, "Although, I do expect her to be capable of it tomorrow. With the Inazuma being able to leave the docks, that will make the stressor a non-issue, if only for the moment. As for a good time... Well, we've already started the process, so we should be able to join you until lunch."

— - — - —

I need to converse with my helper on naval drilling, as I just realized I don't actually have a clue what that entails. If you have input yourself, it'd be helpful. Otherwise, I'll call it when I have the info I need, which should be tomorrow. He's just asleep right now is all.
>> No. 197879
Damn, writing a CYOA is hard work.

I imagine it will be practicing attack formations retreats, firing solutions, everything up to the point of firing. I'll look it up later.
>> No. 197882
>>197879

Much appreciated! Turns out my helper doesn't have an answer for once, so those will be very useful starting points!
>> No. 197906
File 150538252447.jpg - (165.24KB , 190x756 , Ignore the other girl.jpg ) [iqdb]
197906
"Hrm..."

Rikako asks, "Yes?"

Shaking your head, you answer, "I'm just wondering as the where we will actually do this is all. With the base as hidden as it is, and the fairies at risk for being crushed..." You can't exactly go running about the halls, after all.

"Ahh, yes. That would be an issue, I suppose."

Chiyuri offers, "There is always the surface of the island, and doing more... ship-based drilling is also an option, Sir. Mind, you only have the Inazuma, so I'm sure that throws a number of wrenches in as well.

You can't help but agree. "Yes, there is little ability to practice much of what I have to teach under normal circumstances. Formation may have to wait for now."

Ciyuri nods, offering, "Just doing drills for now is an option, sir."

...Hmm... That is actually quite doable. "That seems like it will do for today." While you await the two to finish, you mutter, "...A treadmill will do." At the odd looks, you point out, "Two of your canters are going to be significantly slower than the other. The Inazuma will instead be using a treadmill, while the two of you will use the floor. Assuming, of course, that there isn't an area set aside for drills."

Chiyuri answered, "Nope. Nothing like that, though as small as everyone's become, over half of the bunk rooms and such aren't needed anymore. Could probably have Konngara knock out some walls and use that. Or, well... just have a place built for it. Plenty of rock left to carve."

You might have to consider that.

Rikako looks to her sister, ordering, "Watch the lab in my stead. Until I return, you shall be in charge." She receives a nod from her sister, which is all the answer she needs.

The first day of drilling goes well for the three of them, and you are surprised to find that the whole lot of them are familiar with the various orders and commands, from double time to slow time, as well as many others and everything in between. Not one misses a beat, and not one needs an order repeated. The only issue had was more to do with the treadmill and the ship's less than proper posture.

The Inazuma did end up in a heap after being told to halt while on the treadmill, but she laughed it off easily enough, and actually seemed more amused by both of your mistakes than actually bothered by the pain. Just as it is intended to, the drilling felt as if it brought the small group just a bit closer together. You just wish that Rika could have been there, as it would have perhaps helped her and Chiyuri to resolves some of their issues. After all, Chiyuri is a sailor at heart, and to give her common ground with the more excitable and perhaps naive Rika would likely work wonders. But, as they say, tomorrow is another day.

However, as the Inazuma feels less like a fresh recruit, she may be ready for patrol far sooner than you expected. Although, you idly question if sending her alone would be for the best, what with her apparent fear of the docks, as well as the dangers of the sea. It may well be a fear of not the dark itself, but of those she must face at sea when the time comes — the Fish, who are less akin to ships and more amalgamations of ship and monstrosity. Few realize as well as you how little ship there is to an Abyssal ship after all. You ended up swallowed whole after all.


— - — - —

[ ] The next day.
-[ ] Fluffy repression.
-[ ] Braided obsession.
[ ] Write-in. The day's plans were successfully completed by lunch.
>> No. 197910
I feel like I'm in a fell story, because I don't understand the options! I should have paid more attention to their hairstyles!

[X] Ask for an ETA on the second unit, it is too dangerous for one unit to scout alone, but we might end up being pressed for resources.
[X] Braided obsession

Obsessions are bad, but worse if left unattended. And for fluffy, repressed, people we have Ran. Well, she's not here but... You know what I mean.
>> No. 197911
[x] The next day.
-[x] Fluffy repression.
>> No. 197914
[X] Ask for an ETA on the second unit, it is too dangerous for one unit to scout alone, but we might end up being pressed for resources.
[x] Next day
-[x] Braided obsession.

Fluffy involves too many hearts, if my assumption is correct
>> No. 197916
[x] The next day.
-[x] Braided obsession.

I don't know what I'm voting for.
>> No. 197919
>>197916
I'm assuming Fluffy is Ellen and Braided is Rika.

Or, well, it could refer to ships. As for braided ships that we might be looking at (Fubuki-class et al), the only ones with braids of any note are Isonami and Uranami. But they don't have any real relationship to Inazuma. (If my understanding is correct, the tech tree is based on what ships are related to which others, and what have strong bonds). Of course, we could be just transitioning to a second DD of a brand new class, but likely won't be newer than Fubuki... Of the preceding classes, none have braids, and of the succeeding classes, one Hatsuhara, one Shiratsuyu, and one Yugumo have braids.

Fluffy, then, could refer to Miyuki, the ship that Inazuma sank by accident... It could also mean Sazanami, as she was part of the same division as Inazuma before Pearl, according to US intel (I can't find the Japanese fleet listings). Although, fluffy might refer to the shy personality and temperament, so... Ushio could be a possibility. Heck, it could even refer to the flotilla leader at the start of the war, the light cruiser Abukuma. ...Otherwise, there's no telling.

Or, well, I could be thinking about this too much, and it's just Ellen or Rika like I initially thought.
>> No. 197991
File 150686547351.jpg - (69.08KB , 1000x718 , Tastier than fluff.jpg ) [iqdb]
197991
[X] Ask for an ETA on the second unit, it is too dangerous for one unit to scout alone, but we might end up being pressed for resources.
[x] Next day
-[x] Braided obsession.

— - — - —

At 11:30, it was now the time that R&D typically takes lunch. And, as such, we made our way for the mess hall. Or perhaps it should be said that half of us were carried. After all, though not what you would call exhausted, the two fairies' legs were far from keeping up with your pace without being forced to marathon run the whole trip. Still, there was one point of curiosity that remained. A point of great importance, in fact. "What is the ETA on the second ship?"

Rikako, from her perch atop the Inazuma's head, answers simply, "A week."

"Not the research, the ship itself."

"A week, as I said."

You blink, giving her a look. "This isn't a joking matter."

Huffing, the head of R&D answers, "Research and construction are one in the same, effectively. The hard part is matching the girl."

You just stare at her a while, then look to Chiyuri as well, who in on the Inazuma's shoulder. Her answer is a nod for your trouble, earning your confusion. "How is that physically possible?"

"Abyssal methods are... efficient, to say the least. As for the exacts, I'm afraid you may have to get used to having important information withheld from you. All I will say is to be glad you do not know."

You let out a sigh of resignation. "Very well." So it is as you feared it would be.

The remainder of the day is fairly uneventful, consisting mainly of busywork.

— - — - —

That night...

"Finally, I can get some slee—" There was a knocking at the bedroom door. I had to wonder who would bother me at this hour, though hoped it was our cute Abyssal derivative. "...Coming." That said, that left the monumental task of unlocking the door. As tired as I was at this point, I wasn't what I'd call a fan of getting the thing open, as even standing was becoming a task. Sighing, I climbed out of what passed for my bed and gave Nazrin a smile as I pass her by. I liked to pretend that she's happy in there, but the growing intelligence in her watchful stares make me wonder sometimes...

What felt like a hike later, I found myself at the monolithic door, and called out, "Who's there?"

Be tall enough to open it, for the love of— "It's Ellen!" ...Nuts.

Rubbing the sleep from my eye, I asked, "What is it, Ellen...? It's late, and I'm tired, and I need to get a night's rest tonight."

"I came to see the little cutie you told me about~" Ahh, right. I did tell her about my roommate, didn't I.

"Can you get the door open? It's unlocked, but I'm not in the mood to—" I blinked as the door swung open. "...You're good at that."

"I need to be! Now, about the little mousy mouse...♥" There's almost a predatory look in her eye, so eager is she

"Right. Knock yourself out, but don't let her out. After what happened with the ammo, I don't wanna risk ending up like the predecessor."

"I made cheese~"

"...I think she'll like it." The thoughtfulness of that put a smile on my lips. Still need sleep, but it did melt the frown right off my face. "Just give me a sec and I'll get the food dispenser ready and something to wrap it in." ...Actually... "...Wait, where is it?"

"Why, I left it outside the door~"

I gave a look see, and my eyes practically bugged out at the sight. "An entire cheese wheel?" How did she even carry that? Did she roll it...? "...Just give me a bit." Thankfully I have what I need to prep it. Although... "You... aren't planning to feed her that all at once, right?"

I was thankful at the odd look she gave me, to be honest; Nazrin does not need to be backed up and fat. "No, of course not. I just intend to give her chucks and tell her she's a good girl♥"

"...Right." Let's see, knife, knife— Ahh, here it is. Knife in hand, I awkwardly waddled my way over, the massive blade in tow. I'd say I need a smaller knife, but that would make preparations hard in a different way. "Alright, let me just—"

CraCKcrcrCRACK

It was then that my blood ran cold. Glass cracking, and quite possibly from the worst direction imaginable.

"Rika, should the glass be...?"

Swallowing, I snapped my head towards the glass. Nazrin was biting it. But that wasn't the issue, ohh no. The issue was that her fangs manages to pierce into it. "Ellen, step away from the cheese." She was quiet as Nazrin normally was. The glass, no less than ten inches thick, cracked deeper and deeper all the while.

And then the cracks spread outwards as the mouse twisted her jaws, ripping out a comparatively massive chunk of glass. Glass meant to withstand rounds, and the crushing pressure of the sea, was cracking to the jaws of this mouse. The mouse seemed satisfied as it tugged free a chunk of glass, spitting it out.

"...Ellen, help me move the cheese to the other holding cell." And then it headbutted the hole it made, to no avail. "Now!" My word shocked her from her stunned silence as we popped it upright and began to roll it carefully along. When it was at the cage, I tapped in my code, and we rolled it in. It was a snug fit, but the cage was more than enough clearance. That done, I closed it, and slid together the connecting partition. Usually it was to transfer her between, so that I might collect droppings and clean, but today it was going to deliver her to the mouse bait.

That done, I locked the blackened metal together and opened the gate between the two, letting out a sigh. I watched as the mouse made a beeline for the cheese, just as I had prayed.

What I didn't account for was that I hadn't made sure that Ellen was out too. When I looked through the glass, I was aghast at the sight of Ellen petting the mouse as it gorged itself on cheese.

I was also jealous, though wasn't going to admit it.

But how to separate them was the more important question... Luring the mouse to the cheese was easy enough, but luring the Ellen back out would be the hard part.

— - — - —

You can also opt to skip days/time, and the blanks will be filled in. Later on, this will be far more useful than at the moment.

Points of interest
The new girl will be arriving tonight.
Rika drilling.
New girl drilling.

[ ] Plan your day.
>> No. 197995
[x] Daily drill-with everyone this time.
[x] Inform Ina of the new arrival.
[x] Inform yourself about the receiving procedure and act accordingly.
[x] Procure a new containment cell for Naz... and thank Ellen for the cheese.

Reception party! Well, kind of.
>> No. 198036
[x] Daily drill-with everyone this time.
[x] Continue to pester R&D for any scrap of info you can get.
[x] Inform Ina of the new arrival.
[x] Inform yourself about the receiving procedure and act accordingly.
[x] Procure a new containment cell for Naz... and thank Ellen for the cheese.

I do believe this works well... can't think of anything else.

Well, besides, bugging R&D. I mean, any scrap of information.
>> No. 198040
[x] Daily drill-with everyone this time.
[x] Continue to pester R&D for any scrap of info you can get.
[x] Inform Ina of the new arrival.
[x] Inform yourself about the receiving procedure and act accordingly.
[x] Procure a new containment cell for Naz... and thank Ellen for the cheese.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


Exit Mobile View