[Return] [Bottom[Last Update]
Posting mode: Reply
(Reply to 38052)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog
Show or hide post box

 ►
Hide Thread
Watch Thread
Expand All Images
File 14100297997.jpg - (200.39KB, 1024x409, PDB_2580-Bamboo-1024x409.jpg) [iqdb]
38052
Let's see pants, shirts and other clothes are all accounted for so are your books, games and the rest of your stuff, nodding to yourself you close your brief case, a green one with brown straps that would look more at home in the previous century, and your sky blue duffel bag.

You quickly give yourself a once over making sure your hazel nut hair aren't chaos incarnate or that you need to shave. satisfied you sling your bag unto your shoulder with some difficulty and grab the brief case before leaving the room after making sure everything was locked.

As you walk through the corridor you can't help but be exited at the prospect of returning to japan, the last time you were there was a blast! You met colorful people (sometime literally) both at and outside of work and unlike last time you were going there only for fun!... Yeah right the Japanese division is definitely going to bug you when you arrive in Tokyo at least until you start your road trip with Subaru and Sukoshiro after that you will be free to do what you want, might even go see that “indestructible” torii in Nagasaki if your travel take you there.

As you open the door you are greeted by...
“bamboo? What?”
That can't be normal, as you try to figure out just what this is about you hear a sound from behind you, spinning around as fast as you can you immediately notice the absence of the door that brought you here.
You declare your state of mind to the world with an eloquent “well fuck.”

Looking around to see just where you are you can only see bamboo, the stuff is everywhere stalks preventing you from seeing farther than a handful of meters and that's being generous, leaves littering the ground and shoots poking out of said ground here and there. But as you look around you can't help but hear as well the forest is fairly quiet the only sound being the rustling of the bamboo and the leaves as well as the wind, wait scratch that you can't hear the wind.

...Hold on if there's no wind how can the bamboo and leaves rustle? You then suddenly feel a breath behind you, prompting you to turn sloooooooowly.

What you see then is a massive bipedal wolfish creature standing about two heads taller than you despite being hunched over and while you'd gladly observe the beast more closely that would imply you didn’t bold as soon as you saw his massive teeth and large half open drooling mouth.

Not ten steps after starting to run away the creature run after you, running as fast as your legs can carry you duck and weave around the stalks try to lose the thing, sadly it's powerful muscles allow it to remain at only a few feet behind you (thank god it need to tear through the stalks due to his size.)

Catching a flash of brown in the corner of your eye is all the incentive you need to drop and roll, good thing you did as well because those claws would have taken your head for sure, too bad this whole thing broke your momentum leaving you to consider your options as the monster is circling you like a predator studying his prey which is admittedly the case.

[ ] run, You managed it once so surely you can do it again
[ ] communicate, maybe you just got off the wrong foot?
[ ] Stare it down, maybe it won't attack you as long as you look at it
[ ] call for help, maybe someone is around?
[ ]fight it
[ ] write in
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been lurking on this site for a while now and I decided to try writing a story, it probably won't be as good as some of the other stories out there but I hope you'll have fun reading what I'll write. Since it's going to be my first story any and all criticism is welcome, but FYI English is not my native language so please forgive any typo I made/will make don't hesitate to point them out though. Also what would be an acceptable update length? This one is about 600 words but I've seen updates double or triple that number which made me wonder just how long I should make mine.
[X] Communicate, maybe you just got off the wrong foot?
[X] communicate, maybe you just got off the wrong foot?

Sure, why not?

Briefcase is one word, as is hazelnut. Updates should be as long or short as you need them to be rather than some specific number.
[X] Stare it down, maybe it won't attack you as long as you look at it
[X] communicate, maybe you just got off the wrong foot?
[X] communicate, maybe you just got off the wrong foot?

Good luck OP!
I'm going to call it for [X] communicate, maybe you just got off the wrong foot?
hopefully I'll have something for the end of this week if not it'll probably be done next week
>>38053
>>38055
>>38071
>>38072

While keeping your eye on the creature a strange thought enter your head, could it be sentient? After some of the shit you've seen at work that wouldn't be the weirdest thing ever, probably be a 7 out of 10. But if it's sentient why would it randomly attack you?

Hmm... perhaps it never encountered human and as such think of you as an animal? Or maybe it knows what you are and by running away you've insulted it's customs? Or it's really just a giant feral werewolf thing that wants to eat you. Too many questions not enough info to act, still doing nothing while it circle you is probably not a good idea.

Best way to get info is usually to talk, so you decide to act on your vague hunch that this thing is sentient, cares about and understand what you say.

“I get the feeling we got off the wrong foot, sir or madame, maybe we could talk this out?”

No response beside a beastly grunt, progress?

“I assure you I didn't mean to insult you by running away, it's just that seeing large teeth a hair length away from my face led me to believe you wanted to eat me.”

Yet again no answer, but it does stop moving.

You can't help but whisper to yourself “Come on please be sentient.”


“you don't understand any of what I'm saying do you?”

A few seconds ticks away as you wait for some acknowledgment from the monster.
This time it stirs a little, you immediately find yourself hoping for a response.
It come in the form of the beast going from still to faster than an hyperactive kid hopped on pure caffeine.
It make a quick swipe at your stomach and you dodge it, barely but at least it won't be able to attack you again without regaining it's footing.

“I'm gonna take for a n-”

Your snark dies in your throat as the beast twist itself in ways that would make a yoga practitioner jealous and deliver a kick, sending you flying, on your right side.

You try to get back up but the fiend pin you to the ground and tries to go for the neck, you manage to keep it away by using one of your legs and shoving your briefcase in it's face. Sadly it's not entirely stupid and let off the pressure enough that your momentum cause you to push into empty air. As this happen you can see a mad spark in the creatures eyes, the kind that send shivers down your spine and promise pain in the immediate future.

Time seem to slow down as you frantically try to put something between you and your would be killer. for a second you think you wont make it.
Then it's obvious you wont but just as you brace yourself for the incoming pain.

“Stay down kid!”

The monster is ripped from it's spot above you by a trail of fire, you can only stare dumbfounded as a blur of red and white rush past you and collide with the monster as it right itself; causing it to tumble further away from you.

It takes you a moment to register what just happened and another one to process it. You've been saved from a painful mauling by what seems to be a woman wearing red baggy pants adorned with strange white and red slips of paper, seals perhaps? And sporting equally red suspenders.
Her white dress shirt is somewhat brown with dirt and has those weird armbands you never use when wearing one yourself, the woman hair are as white as her shirt and it seem she keep them from going everywhere using slips of paper similar or perhaps identical, hard to tell considering she's moving around chucking fire balls at the creature, as the ones on her pants; still the most striking thing about her hair is their length, from what you can see they would more or less reach her feet if she was standing still.

She is also capable of kicking ass or face as it were if this fight is any indication, it's incredibly one sided with this lady dodging or parrying every blow while she punch, kick and burn the monster. It nearly manages to land a hit that would have ended the fight but the woman jumping about half a meter back to avoid it. Instead of taking advantage of the momentum this gave him it turn tail and run.

“Oh, no you don't ugly! You're not running away so you can kill more people! Revenge sign 「Hourai Killer」!”

Just as she speak those words a miniature sun appear in front of her outstretched arms before flying toward the wolf thing and explode with enough force to push you back on the ground. Once you reopen your eye you closed because of the intense light you see the area completely devastated with broken and half burning bamboo stalks and a quickly cooling pool of lava inside a small but sizable crater where the monster used to be.

As you look at the destruction in front of you, the woman walks slowly toward you but before you can say anything her eyes widen and she start running toward you.

“Oh, shit your arm! are you okay!?”

At her words you instinctively start patting your right arm which is hanging limply... nothing is broken, your shoulder don't hurt so why is she reacting that way?


Oh wait she doesn't know about your paralysis so she probably think it's broken.

“crap, crap, crap! I don't know what to do! At least it's an internal fracture, that mean I don't have to take him to Eientei and can just bring him to the village infirmary, right? But what if there's complications? Dammit what do I do?” while she speak to herself she notice you touching the 'broken' arm.” Stop, You idiot! You're going to make it worse! Fuck, you're probably on of those westerner than don't speak a word of Japanese, damn if only Keine was here she'd be able to talk to him, I should not have skipped those English lessons...”

You have no idea what she is but at least she seem friendly enough to worry about you, hopefully not because she want to keep her next meal in as good a condition as she can, still you should probably do something before she start hyperventilating. Or you could try to leave if you manage to you wouldn't have to deal with whatever insanity you've been thrown into, maybe.

[ ] try to calm her down by:
-telling her you can understand her
-mentioning your handicaps
-making funny gestures

[ ] she threw a small sun
-shit's on fire lady
-what or who are you?

[ ] giant wolf demon thing, the fuck was it?

[ ] leave her
-sneak away
- run the hell away

[ ] write in
[ ] she threw a small sun
-shit's on fire lady
-what or who are you?
[X] she threw a small sun
-shit's on fire lady
-what or who are you?
[ ] she threw a small sun
-shit's on fire lady
-what or who are you?
She threw a small sun... you have trouble warping your head around that, it seemed different from the other fire spells you saw in the past, regardless the forest is currently burning thanks to that and it's spreading pretty fast due to the dried leave that litter the ground.

“huh, while I appreciate your concern for my well being I would like to point out that shit is on fire and unless you can put it out we should leave and fast.”

“Huh? You can understand me? And speak Japanese? That’s pretty rare for outsiders, anyhow we need t-”

“the forest is on fire.”

“yeah so?”

...is she serious?

“the forest is on fire, we need to leave unless you want us to burn alive!”

“what are you t-, oh right you probably aren't ignifuged. I guess I should do something about the fire then.”

as she say this she extend her hand toward the flames and are draw towards it swirling angrily in the air as if they couldn't bear to be controlled in such a way soon all that remain of the fire is a large ball hovering above the woman's hand said ball then vanish into nothingness leaving only a few orange sparks that drift in the air before going out as she close her hand.

...okay what the hell is she? magic doesn't work like that! it is impossible to make an elemental manifestation simply vanish you need to apply an opposing force to it, like water or ice in the case of fire, you can't make it 'go away' like that.

“okay now that this is done let's go to the human village to have your arm looked at, seriously how are you not screaming in pain? That has to be painful.” the woman declare as she pull you on your feet and start leading you toward this “village”. “Name's Fujiwara no Mokou by the way, you?”

[]tell her your name (default: Johnas Traon)
[]don't tell her your name

“I see well in any case welcome to Gensokyo, Land of illusions, youkais, Fairies and hermits; I'm pretty sure we've got other thing I don't know about in here too.”

“that sounds... dangerous?”

“it is especially this forest we call it the bamboo forest of the lost, unless you walk on the path it messes with your senses and cause you to lose your way, then ferals eat you, you die of starvation or I find you if you're lucky” huh well you were lucky then “but if you are truly lucky then Tewi find you, some are stupid or desperate enough to seek her out that way, she's a youkai of luck and the one who made the path we're on by the way.”

as she speak you notice you are in fact walking on a well kept dirt path, when did you get on it? the forest must be really good at messing with peoples head if you didn't notice until now.

“It's the first time an outsider ever fell in here though I wonder how it happened.”

“I have no idea, I was leaving for a trip to japan and went trough the door at the end of my corridor and then bam!” you illustrate how sudden it was by moving your good arm around “I'm in the middle of nowhere the door is gone and a freaking werewolf tries to eat me!”

“feral.”

“uh?”

“It wasn't a werewolf but a feral youkai a being that was born out of fear but that isn't powerful enough to be anything but a predator. We do have at least one werewolf in the forest however.”

“faeries, werewolves, youkai what's next vampires?”


{choose a trauma: because of his work the MC has experienced his fair share of unpleasant situations, two stick out above the others, one of them I choose when I started witting so it's only fair you people get to choose the other, they'll lead to freakouts if you encounter one of the creature it concerns:
[X] the succubus toy (demons)
[] feeding frenzy (vampires)
[]big game hunt (werewolves)
[]courtly intrigues (Faes)
}


“weeeeell...” you have got to be kidding “none of them are dangerous unless provoked, except for the ferals as you saw.” it's then she get a strange look on her face. “wait you aren't freaking out, that's... not normal for someone who just got thrown into a strange place and got saved from a monster by a girl with fire power.”oh shit, quick subject change!”why-.”

“I was wondering about that how'd you threw fire?” there flawless! You'd rather not say who you are as long as you aren't sure she leading you into a trap, you only have her words to go by after all and if there are half of the beings she mentioned around you'd rather not take chances.

“well I know quite a bit of sorcery and I also hold the power of a phoenix I think it's called? But I'd rather not say how I got it or where I learned my sorcery” seems the deflection wasn't flawless, oh well.”any other question you like to ask?”


Before you can ask any other questions you have to shield your eyes from the suns glare. You have no idea how but you just left the forest without noticing, the fact it can play with your senses like that is pretty alarming.

“argh I hate it when it does that, must be a strong day if it can mess with my senses that much.” on the plus side it seems this Fujiwara no Mokou is affected as well.

“oh hello Mokou-san, on your way to the village?” a young man, barely 16 you think is walking toward you “mmh? You's that? An outsider?”

“'lo kid, yeah he's an outsider dunno how but he fell in the forest I rescued him from a feral and now I was escorting him to the village.

“A feral attacked him? I suppose you killed it, does that mean?”

“judging by it's size it was probably the one who was eating everyone going in the forest yeah, should be safe to go to Eientei now but stay on your toes just 'cause one if dead does mean there won't be others.”

“I will Mokou-san, I hope you and the outsider have a good day and thank you for avenging those the youkai killed” the man say as he walk past you, as he does you can tell he is definitely human. Look like she was telling the truth about bringing you to a human village.

Ask her about
[]Gensokyo as a whole
[]village
[]vampire?
[]faery?
[]werewolves?
[]outsiders?

Choose 2 and
[]trust her enough to tell her a bit about your job
[]she may have helped you but you are still wary of saying anything about yourself
So you can choose what whether you want to tell anything about your job or not here's a small explanation of what it is

you are 24 years old and your life started getting weird at 16.

you are an honorary knight of a french knightly order specialized in fighting demons named “Les chasseurs nocturnes” (nocturnal hunters in english) there you are an adviser in non holy magic and a squad leader, a position usually reserved only to the veterans knights.
The order is composed of knights, in training or full-fledged who form the bulk of the order, priests who serve both as the magic attackers and healers as well as two champions one of which is retired and is now the leader of the order. Working with the order lead you to fight agaisnt all kinds of supernatural being from Chupacabras to vampires and zombies.

In time you also came to work at Osm a french company that officially research better ways to produce, use and store energy, while making tentative steps in the field of robotics but of the record? It's main line of research is how to use magic as an energy source.
You are one of the head scientist of the team that work on converting magic to energy though theses days you've more or less given that up and now try to figure out how to use magic as the energy which is a small but huge difference. Another line of research is creating devices powered by the energy source you are working on (you are currently trying to make it so it can't be used as fuel for spells as well as making it easy to manufacture) you try to help whenever they ask for it but most of the time the specifics just go over your head all you know is they can make nifty robots. They also have a Japanese branch.

In case you were wondering the MC is french, specifically from Brittany where Brocéliande is located and his mother is from England.
[x]tell her your name (default: Johnas Traon)
[x]courtly intrigues (Faes)
Because it's amusingly crippling.
[x]village
[x]faery?
[x]she may have helped you but you are still wary of saying anything about yourself

I strongly suggest getting a proofreader. Before this post it wasn't that bad, but you have far too many run-on or awkwardly-worded sentences. Keep in mind that most people here are pretty picky about grammar, as unless you're following a very short update format, it can be painful (sometimes almost physically) to read large blocks of text with poor grammar.

I'll also suggest trying to limit the number of vote prompts per update. Ideally you should only have one vote prompt per update, if possible. Especially try to avoid having the story continue in between vote prompts unless they are separate scenes. Ideally, both the name and trauma prompts should have appeared at the end of the update. Splitting up the votes the way you did for the first one made it feel inconsequential, which is bad for reader engagement. Choices which have no immediate effect on the situation, such as the second one, should be saved for the end, after the main vote prompt.
>>38116
I'll keep your advice about prompts in my for future updates and I'll do my best to find a proofreader either that or I'll bug one of my friends
>>38114
>>38115

She threw a small sun... you have trouble wrapping your head around that, it felt different from the other fire spells you saw in the past, you can't quite put your finger on why though, regardless of that the forest is burning and it's spreading fast.

“huh, while I appreciate your concern for my well being the forest is on fire and unless you can put it out we should leave and fast.”

“Huh? You can speak Japanese? That’s pretty rare for outsiders, since you don't seem to be in any pain I'll just take you to the village, it'll be faster than going to Eientei.”

“Uh, Sure but can we leave the burning forest now? The fire is getting stronger.”

“Oh right the fire, I should probably do something about it.”

“wha-.”

Before you can say anything else she extend a hand toward the flames, who are drawn towards it. they swirl angrily in the air refusing to be controlled. Soon all that remain of the fire is a large ball hovering above the woman hand, vanishing into nothingness leaving only a few orange sparks that drift in the air as she close it.

...Okay what the hell is she? Magic doesn't work like that! It's impossible to make an elemental manifestation simply vanish, you need to apply an opposing force to it, like water or ice in the case of fire, you can't make it 'go away' like that. Whoever she is she's powerful and because of that you can't help but be wary of her.

“Okay now that's done let's go get your arm looked at, seriously how are you not in pain? That has to be painful.” the woman declare as she pull you on your feet and start leading you toward this “village” she mentioned. “Name's Fujiwara no Mokou by the way, and welcome to Gensokyo, Land of illusions, youkai, Fairies and hermits, I'm pretty sure we've got other thing I don't know about in here too.”

“that sounds... dangerous?”

“It is, especially this forest. We call it the bamboo forest of the lost, unless you walk on the path it messes with your senses and cause you to lose your way. Then either ferals eat you, you die of starvation or I find you if you're lucky” huh, well lucky you then “but if you are truly lucky then Tewi find you, some are stupid or desperate enough to seek her out that way, she's a youkai of luck and the one who made the path we're on by the way.”

As she speak you notice you are in fact walking on a well kept dirt path, when did you get on it? The forest must be really good at messing with peoples head if you didn't notice you were on it until now.

“It's the first time an outsider ever fell in here though, I wonder how it happened.”

“I have no idea, I was leaving for a trip to Japan, went trough the door at the end of my corridor and then bam!” you illustrate how sudden it was by moving your good arm around “I'm in the middle of nowhere, the door is gone and a freaking werewolf tries to eat me!”

“feral.”

“uh?”

“It wasn't a werewolf but a feral youkai. A being that was born out of fear but that isn't powerful enough to be anything but a predator. We do have at least one werewolf in the forest however.”

“faeries, werewolves, youkai... what's next vampires?”

“weeeeell...” you have got to be kidding “nobody attack unless provoked in Gensokyo, except for the fairies but they aren't dangerous just... annoying and ferals as you saw.” it's then she get a strange look on her face. “Wait you aren't freaking out, that's... not normal for someone who just got thrown into a strange place and got saved from a monster by a girl with fire powers.”oh shit, quick subject change!”why-.”

“I was wondering about that, how'd you throw fire?” there flawless! You'd rather not give too much info about you as long as you aren't sure she isn't leading you into a trap, you only have her words to go by and if the beings she mentioned are around you'd rather not take chances.

“well I know quite a bit of sorcery and I also hold the power of a... phoenix, I think it's called? But I'd rather not say how I got it or where I learned my sorcery. Any other question you'd like to ask?”

Before you can ask any other questions you have to shield your eyes from the sun's glare. You have no idea how but you just left the forest without noticing, the fact it can play with your senses like that is pretty alarming.

“Argh... I hate it when it does that, must be a strong day if it can mess with my senses that much.” on the plus side it seems this Fujiwara no Mokou is affected as well.

“Oh hello Mokou-san, on your way to the village?” a young man, barely 16 you think, is walking toward you. He doesn't seem fazed by you suddenly(?) appearing outside of the forest “Mmh? Who's that? An outsider?”

“Hey kid. Yeah he's an outsider. Dunno how but he fell in the forest, I had to rescue him from a feral and I was escorting him to the village, his arm probably needs a good look at.”

“A feral attacked him? I suppose you killed it, does that mean?”

“Judging by it's size it was probably the one who was eating everyone going in the forest yeah. Should be safe to go to Eientei now but stay on your toes just 'cause one is dead doesn't mean there won't be others.”

“I will Mokou-san, I hope you and the outsider have a good day and thank you for avenging those the youkai killed.” the man say as he walk past you, as he does you can tell he is definitely human.

After a few minutes of walking behind Mokou you can see what seems like a small town in the distance. Look like she was telling the truth about bringing you to a human village... You hope.
You also realize you never even told her your name perhaps you could tell her.

[]tell her your name (default: Johnas Traon)
[]don't tell her your name

also[]trust her enough to tell her a bit about your job
[] she may have helped you but you are still wary of saying anything about yourself

Ask her about []Gensokyo as a whole
[] village
[]vampire?
[]faery?
[]werewolves?
[]outsiders?
(choose two)

also choose a trauma: because of your work you've experienced your fair share of unpleasant situations two stick out above the others, one of them I choose when I started witting so it's only fair you people get to choose the other, they' ll lead to freakouts if you encounter one of the creature it concerns:
[X] the succubus toy (demons)
[] feeding frenzy (vampires)
[]big game hunt (werewolves)
[]courtly intrigues (Faes)


here's a small info dump about your job:

You are 24 years old and your life started getting weird at 16.

You are an honorary knight of a french knightly order specialized in fighting demons named “Les chasseurs nocturnes” (the nocturnal hunters in english), there you are an adviser in non holy magic and a squad leader, a position usually reserved only to veterans knights.
The order is composed of knights both in training and full-fledged who form the bulk of the order, priests who serve both as healers and magical fighters, as well as two champions one of which is now retired and is the leader of the order. Working with the order led you to fight against all kinds of supernatural beings from Chupacabras to vampires and zombies.

In time you also came to work at Osm a french company that officially research better ways to produce, use and store energy, while making tentative steps in the field of robotics but off the record? It's main line of research is how to use magic as an energy source.
You are one of the head scientist of the team that work on converting magic to energy though theses days you've more or less given that avenue up and are now trying to figure out how to use magic as the energy, a small but important difference. Another line of research is creating devices powered by the mana cores your team created in order to store magic (you are currently trying to make it so it can't be used as fuel for spells as well as making it easy to manufacture). You try to help as much as you can but the specifics of that particular research tend to go over your head, all you know is they can make nifty robots. The company also have a Japanese branch which is where you were headed as the first part of your vacation.

In case you were wondering the MC is french, more specifically from Brittany near Brocéliande however his mother is from England.


So the last update was physically painful to read, I think everyone who read it can agree with that statement. I was meaning to make this redo for a while however life got in the way of that until recently.
But now that it's dealt with here's the update with less eye gouging grammatical errors.
Also after rewriting what I originally wrote I'm starting to think I didn't actually reread and correct the text because I have no idea how I didn't realize entire chunk of sentences made no sense or were missing.
It isn't a good idea to sage story posts. If I hadn't scrolled down the post listing on a whim, I'd have never seen that this updated.
>>38150
Go to the home page, get on IRC with the embedded client. Look for someone called Fyhlen and ask him to proof for you if you don't have anyone else at hand.
>>38151
since it was a correction of my previous post rather than an actual update I figured it didn't warrant a bump.
on a side note I'll try to wait for another vote before writing anything but if nobody else votes I'll go with >>38116.
File 14261067337.jpg - (1.90MB, 4500x1407, just_replace_the_cars_with_horse_cariges.jpg) [iqdb]
38221
went with >>38116 since it was the only vote. I know it's not the best but as I said critics are welcomed and I'll keep them in mind for the next updates.

[x]tell her your name (default: Johnas Traon)
[x]courtly intrigues (Faes)
[x]village
[x]faery?
[x]she may have helped you but you are still wary of saying anything about yourself

While you follow Mokou you realize something: she said there were fairies around and if these are here it means a Fae court isn't far....
As soon as it hit you memories of the last time you had to deal with the courtly intrigues of the Faes assault you, you quickly try to figure a way to avoid them at all cost but it dawn on you even faster that you have absolutely no info on them beside 'they are somewhere in this place'. Which makes things worse.... oh god if they discover you dismantled a court they'll want to see how you did it anduseyouasatoy! Wait, maybe if you make yourself as boring as can be they won't notice you?
...no wait if you are boringtheywillcaptureyouto'spiceupyourlife'an-

“Uh are you okay? You started hyperventilating and sweating...”

Your eyes lock onto this Fugiwara, what if she was one of them? No, she doesn't feel like one but could she be one of their agent? You can't trust her, you-

“Oh! I know what this is. It's the realization that this whole thing is real and not a dream, you should try to calm down I heard some people fainted from it.”

Fainting? That would be bad, VERY bad. Alright you'd best sit down, take a deep breath and calm down...

“I'm good, don't worry Miss Mokou.” these words come out raspy and chocked, it's pretty oblivious you aren't 'good'. And your guide can certainly see that.

“Right, if say so and just call me Mokou, no miss and would you mind telling me your name?” At this point saying nothing might be worse than saying something.

“My name's Johnas Traon.”

“Well then Johnas, to keep your mind off what happened and help you calm down do you want to ask me anything about Gensokyo?” That sound wonderful, more info means you'll be better prepared when the Faes find you.

“Sure, can you tell me more about those fairies you mentioned?”

“Okay, so first you have to know that fairies are pretty much everywhere around here” what “they tend to represent aspects of nature, like ice, spring, forest fire...” wat “they aren't dangerous, well they are but it's not of malicious intent. They love to play pranks, for Gensokyo natives these aren't a real problem, an annoyance yes but nothing to raise an eyebrow at. Outsiders on the other hand tend to get injured a lot more, from what I know there's seven fairies you're likely to meet at one point or another: Cirno the self-titled “strongest”, her friend Daiyousei not sure what she can do, the three tricksters, whom I don't know much about since they tend to hang around far from where I live but their powers allow them to hide easily from what I heard and the Lilly twins these two are most active during the spring- aaaand I should stop talking about them because you are getting whiter and whiter by the second.” That's probably for the best, you're about to have a heart attack, why? They have a Fae court powerful enough that the weakest of them can take on natural occurrences as their domain of influence and that means they have a king, or queen close to Oberon in terms of power and if that wasn't bad enough fairies that could hide easily? They could be anywhere at anytime, that is not an happy thought.

“just one question, do they have some sort of king or queen?”

“Pfffhahahahahahaha, the fairies having any kind of ruling body? No way, they are too busy frolicking around doing nothing productive to work on making any kind of organized government.” Somehow this doesn't surprise you. A Fae agent wouldn't tell anyone about the court until it's too late and if she isn't one you doubt the court would have advertised their existence, regardless she probably isn't going to say anything else of interest on that topic.

Once you've calmed down enough to resume walking you and your guide start heading toward the 'human village' once more.

“I was also wondering this village we're going to, what is it exactly?”

“The human village? It's the biggest settlement in Gensokyo, it was created a little before the sealing...”

Mokou then proceed to give you a quick overview of the place: this village, home to about 150.000 people, is the center of trade and human politics in this 'Gensokyo' and kept it's appellation of 'village' because nobody saw a point in changing it. It's protected from youkai by a sturdy enchanted wall, a militia and a protector, which you assume to be a guardian deity. And from her description of the place you also gather that it's more or less ancient japan mixed with some modern touches like lampposts, plumbing and boilers.

After a few more minutes of walking you arrive to the village and after a small hold up at the gate where Mokou had to explain who you were, you enter the town proper. What you see is not what you were expecting, at all, while most of the place looks and feel like someone took an old Japanese town drawing and made it real you can see at least 3 modern lampposts, a few houses and buildings that would look right at home in a modern city like Paris. If the main street is the standard, and it seems to be the case, all streets are paved. Observing the people going about their business it's oblivious that humans are the vast majority but the number of non humans is non negligible, you'd say there's about ten humans for a single non-human.

“Okay, now that we're here let's take you to Keine's place, she'll have stuff to take care of your injuries and knowing her she will let you stay there until you figure out what you want to do.”

As you're led trough the streets you notice a few places that seem of some importance, a small flower shop where a crowd of disproportionate size are shopping, an 'electronic emporium' residing in a modern looking building painted with large amount of blue and green, some sort of mansion complete with ridiculously huge gardens and angry looking guards, a large important looking building that scream 'town hall' and next to it a large park with an eastern dragon statue, in said park you see a few food stands as well as a large stage which is currently in use for a doll show if the posters you've seen around are accurate. Not ten minutes later you find yourself in from of a small house sandwiched between a school and the park, Mokou instead of knocking then throw the door open and announce her presence rather loudly:

“KEINE! ARE YOU THERE?”

You hear quick footstep alongside the response “Mokou I'm correcting today's exams and I was enjoying some peace and quiet after having to deal with team 9's shenanigans! I swear I will-” a woman with long white-grey hair and brown eyes enter your vision, she's wearing a dress made of rough blue cloth overlay on top of a much softer looking white material. The blue cloth is sleeveless with patterned holes at the bottom and seems to be closed using a red bow. The white portion of the dress forms the rather puffy short sleeves of the outfit and extend a little bellow the end of the blue part. But the most striking thing about her attire is her hat, it's... a thing, it looks like a little one story blue pagoda. She look at you then Mokou and then back at you before speaking again.” Is he a newly arrived outsider, or did you come here just to show me you've managed to get yourself a boyfriend?”

“Yeah, he ended up in the forest and was attacked by a feral.” Mokou responds ignoring the 'boyfriend' part. “I think something is wrong with his arm so I figured I'd bring him here to see what we could do about it?”

“He doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain but alright. My name is Kamishirasawa Keine, pleased to meet you mister?”

“Johnas Traon, likewise miss Kamishirasawa.”

After you are ushered inside you see that the house while small, is organized I a way that make it feel larger than it is. It's made up of a room serving as a living room and a kitchen as well as three other rooms you assume to be bed or bathrooms.

“Please take a seat on the couch, you can leave your baggage by the door while I make sure you aren't injured.”

“While you take care of him I'll go get Reimu.”

Even if you are reluctant to let go of your stuff even for a second you do as instructed. Keine then look you over to see if you need any medical assistance, as you don't need any she quickly move onto your arm and start moving it this way and that way. Why is it that everyone do that when they discover your arm is paralyzed and you can't move it?

“You don't seem very concerned about the state your arm is in, is this normal for you?”

What is she talking about? Of course your not- oh right you didn't tell Mokou or her you were handicapped, but should you? If they are Fae agents you are in the middle of enemy territory... Yeah no you can't keep quiet about it, not with how see's staring at you. Not only that but you're letting your paranoia lead your actions and that's probably not a good idea, unless that's what they want you to think!

With a cough Keine brings you back to the real world.

“Uh yeah, it's paralyzed up to the shoulder. With everything that happened I forgot to tell you or Mokou.”

“Alright, well I don't see anything wrong with you then, you're free until Mokou gets back with Reimu and that should take about two hours. If you want to wait here I won't mind but you may want to take a stroll through the village to familiarizes yourself with it. And while I'd love to answer any question you may have, I need to go buy groceries and get started on tomorrow’s Lessons; I'm the school teacher here if you were wondering.”

decisions decisions... should you stay here or explore the village?

[] stay here for a time

explore the village
[] go see what that crowd at the flower shop was about, you should probably hurry though.
[] what the heck is an 'electronic emporium' doing in a place like this?
[] these food stand smelled great and you're a little peckish, hopefully they take Yens.
[] just wander about and see if anything grab your fancy.

Paranoia level:
[] it's bad for your heart, beside you've yet to see a single fairy. (no paranoia)
[] you should keep your eyes open, not just assume everyone is a fairy. (mild paranoia)
[] they are in the wall! (everything is a fairy)
the paranoia choice here is the starting level, it might will change depending on the situations Johnas find himself in.
[x] Food stall
[x] Mild

Remember to ask for a proofreader. Also, every sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a period. Finally, "team 9" is a fanon name and, thus, doesn't really exist (well, nothing exists, but this doesn't exist even less)
[Return] [Top]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


Thread Watcher x
Reply toX