[Return] [Bottom[Last Update]
Posting mode: Reply
(Reply to 36801)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog
Show or hide post box

 ►
Hide Thread
Watch Thread
Expand All Images
File 138072287564.jpg - (686.32KB, 1280x960, Undefined_Fantastic_Object_full_1222556.jpg) [iqdb]
36801
The decision to help all beings achieve enlightenment and happiness is the meaning of being a Bodhisattva. This can take many forms, and may happen in life, or happen after choosing to descend from heaven to help others.

"Delusions are inexhaustible, I vow to end them."

---

Senses, something alien after a thousand years, scents of a forest, the feeling of the hard ground around you, it’s overwhelming.
The sun is bright, even behind closed eyes. You pull on the ground and hoist yourself to a sitting position finally opening your eyes.



White… a white path seemingly going on for miles, with the faint outline of a building in the distance shadowed by the morning sun. Where are you?

A snap, you clutch your head in pain, memories coming to bear all at once in your brain, you see them, fighting for your attention, a war, a journey, a decision, too vague to make out amidst the pain, but one thing stands out as the memories fade, the reason you descended.

“Sister…”

You remember now, your sister, Byakuren. So distraught by your death she sought power, immortality with the help of youkai, little more than animals. All creatures have a path in life and should be respected, and youkai are no different, there are those who are good, and those that must be destroyed, but your sister has placed preference.

To work with youkai over man is the very antithesis of your teachings.

You used your magic’s to help the weak, those who should walk the path to enlightenment, not unopposed, but safe, and when it came time, your sister learned as well. It appears she has grown drunk on the power, or perhaps merely blinded with grief, you must help her.

But first you must find her, a quick glance shows the path is made out of ornate stone, marked by lanterns of the same material, it’s well worn and appears to be traveled frequently, behind the path goes on around a corner, but you can see smoke in the distance, a village perhaps?

Around you sits a forest, thick, and undisturbed.

Where are you going?

[] Make your way towards the building.
[] Head towards the smoke.
[] Veer off into the forest.
So ya, attempt 2, let me know the problems, I did more research into what I'm going for and I think I figured out how I want it to work, thankfully, Buddhism is so mixed it becomes malleable.

As for everything else I'm working on being a bit bigger, when it comes to walls anyway, all of the writing I do involves role playing campaigns, so you have to be short about it or you lose attention, hard to get used to doing the opposite.

Oh and don't know anything about the author double posting, but forgot to add this to the bottom of the main post. Sorry.
[x] Head towards the smoke.

Hoping this is Mokou. Would be interesting mesh with our beliefs and her immortality
[x] Head towards the smoke.
[x] Veer off into the forest.
[x] Veer off into the forest.

Hm, I'm liking this already!
[x] Veer off into the forest.

Well, let's see if this goes better than the last.
File 138089825276.jpg - (56.24KB, 400x300, dark_forest_wallpaper_5-t2.jpg) [iqdb]
36817
[x] Veer off Into the Forest

---

Your path extends in both directions, but while your task is clear, your location is not, this land is alien to you and it may be wise to not seek out people so quickly. To that end you decide to start your journey into the forest, forgoing the stone path.

The forest is thick, and has grown naturally with little sign of interference. Because of this it is rather hard to move around in, branches, vines, and trunks of trees long since fallen hinder your path as you move.

The forest itself is old, very old, trees a mix of oak and pine every few feet, and the sound of nature is oddly… absent as you have noticed. Birds and animals you can hear, though far less than expected in a forest such as this.

The sky has grown dark quickly overhead, not from time, it was easily noon when you entered here, the trees have grown thick enough that they block light.

After wandering you eventually come unto a clearing, sparse with some plants dotting the area, sunlight is coming through clearly in this area, in the middle is a rather large pond, opaque, marked with various lilies and reeds.
The noise of nature compared to before is much louder here, granting a sense of peace around
the area.

The sun appears much lower than it was previously.

[] Rest here.
[] Continue onward.
[] Head back.
[X] Head back.
[X] Rest here.

Well, this is a good a spot to rest as any I suppose.
[X] Rest here.
[X] Continue onward.

We're here aren't we? Might as well continue on.

I wanna meet one of the Magicians.
[X] Continue onward.
[x] Continue onward.

Let's not dilly-dally.
File 138126175675.jpg - (689.28KB, 1680x1050, Dark Forest.jpg) [iqdb]
36838
[X] Continue onward.

---

No.

There is no point in resting, there is still light, and this forest will only get darker.
With nary a glance you leave the clearing behind and continue your journey into the forest.

It’s getting dark fast, your walk turns to a run, what strength you have means nothing in the dark, and unfamiliar territory on top of that.

You activate your magical reinforcement on your eyes, very basic, but oddly draining as your sight goes under the shift, with a quick flash of purple in your vision your sight returns, not quite daylight around you to your eyes, but enough to see.

Night vision or not, the beasts own the night, best keep moving. Your legs are unwieldy after a few centuries of nonuse, you’re clumsy, a bit tired, but you press on.

Tree in the center, twirl around it, low branches pushed through or ducked your movements are loud, obvious.
And the forest is silent.

With a crash you’re outside the forest, your sprint slows and then stops as you gaze around you panting from exertion. The forest is behind you, tall and looming, in front is a field of flowers, seemingly going on for miles, and in the far distance of at least a few miles is the familiar light of fires, though coming from what you cannot see.
The moon is high in the sky.

[] Rest at the tree line.
[] Head into the flower field.
[] Head towards the fires.
[/] Head towards the fires.

hopefully this means someone friendly
[X] Rest at the tree line.

Anything but the flowers. I know there are Yuka fans, but she's bad news for a reason.
[x] Head towards the fires.
[X] Rest at the tree line.
>>36838
[] Head towards the fires.
[X] Rest at the tree line.
[X] Rest at the tree line.
File 138151574667.jpg - (326.18KB, 800x500, landscapes trees flowers fields 2560x1600 wallpape.jpg) [iqdb]
36858
[x] Rest at the tree line.

---

With a heavy sigh you let your legs go out from under you, and with little fanfare you’re resting on the wet ground.
As good a bed as any like this, and you can travel no more this night.
With doing little more than propping yourself a bit closer to a tree you close your eyes and drift off.

---

*Poke poke*

You awake the next morning, it’s cold, perhaps sleeping on grass wasn’t the best idea. The sun once again shines bright through close eye-
*Poke poke*
…and something wants your attention. You open your eyes and see.

[] Green
[] Red
[] Blue
[] Other (Specify)
[X] Red
[X] Red
[X] Red
File 138202173742.jpg - (248.00KB, 850x601, sample-2fd65d07285740e66198cbe61268cf96.jpg) [iqdb]
36883
[x] Red

You open your eyes and see a woman in a red and white outfit towering over your prone form. She’s tall, that much is obvious, her outfit is a mix of red and white, priestesses’ clothes.

She is hunched over and is staring at you inquisitively, with a small smile on her face.

“Oy, you awake then boy? Odd place to sleep that much is certain, few would be willing to go near the Youkai’s forest, much less sleep there, you’r e either brave or foolish yaknow?”

Her voice is deep, but has a resonance of power behind it, and… magic? She’s strong whoever she is, but she seems friendly.

“I don’t know much bout why you would be hanging around this forest boy, but it isn't safe, you got a name?”

This is the first person you’ve met since your arrival here. How will you go about this?

[] Give your real name.
[] Give a fake name.
[] Demand her name first.

In addition.

[] Tell her of why you are here.
[] Make up a story of why you are here.
[] Flee.

______
This one took a bit longer than expected, sorry life got in the way.
>>36883
[x] Give your real name.
[x] Tell her of why you are here.
[x] Give your real name.
[x] Tell her of why you are here.
[x] ASK for her name first.
[x] Give your real name.
[x] Tell her of why you are here.

Even if it's impolite to ask someone's name before introducing yourself and all that, there's not reason to be rude about it.
Then we explain our situation.
I'm not entirely sure about buddhisms views on lying and dishonesty, but when has any religion ever considered that a good thing?
[x] ASK for her name first.
[x] Give your real name.
[x] Tell her of why you are here.
File 13826473773.jpg - (437.18KB, 707x1000, f624cf9f3403a97a1f023886c8bba2c8.jpg) [iqdb]
36895
[x] ASK for her name first.
[x] Give your real name.
[x] Tell her of why you are here.

---

Well she seems friendly, if rather… imposing, best be polite.

“Ah, pardon my manners, but I would rather have the name of my waker first miss…?

She smiles, a rather lovely sight after that forest, positively radiant in the morning light.

“Reina, Reina Hakurei, priestess of the Hakurei Shrine.”

A priestess, as you thought from her clothing, though the name Hakurei is alien to you.

…Though on second thought it would be surprising if any of the old families are still in existence, though one can hope.

She’s motioning you to speak with the same gentle smile on her face.

“I am Hijiri Myouren, priest of the Myouren temple.”

Now that raises an eyebrow, and the smile is quickly wiped off of her face.

“Oh? A Myouren? Not even the youkai who call themselves disciples would take up that name.”

You liked her more when she was smiling.

“Tell me boy, are you simply a liar, or something far more annoying?"

..And that’s a threat, still nicer than the priestesses you remember. To tell her the truth would be dangerous, but your teachings are of truth, not of deception, to tell the truth even if it kills you.

“I am her brother, I sought her here, to fix the mistakes she has made, at whatever cost it takes to do it.” You say this as you rise to your feet from the ground to look her in the eyes, though she is still a head taller than you.

“I taught her magic, I taught her everything, but she… changed after I died, to seek immortality is a great reward at the end of the long road, you reach it from doing good deeds and reaching your pinnacle in life, but my sister chooses to use beasts.”

You’re ranting.

“She used the magic I taught her, it’s power served her to take in believers and fanatics, she used them for greed and greed alone. She went against the very core of my teachings, and I watched, I watched as it fell apart around her, she was sealed, and waited for a thousand years.”

“And now she is released, and she’s doing it again, and I intend to stop her.”

She stares at you with a neutral expression.
Moments pass without a word between you, she starts speaking several times before stopping abruptly, it seems you’ve surprised her.

Eventually, she speaks.

“…That is quite a claim boy, but one easily proven. If you wish I can take you to their temple, it’s easily an hours walk.” She states with an air of solemnity.

What will you do?

[] Go with her.
[] Refuse.
[] Flee.

Additional.

[] Questions. (write in)

________________________

Sorry if this reads a bit awkward, I'm used to speaking, not writing dialogue, so for this I thought of what I wanted to happen than said it out loud, then wrote it down afterwards.
[X] Go with her.

We've got nothing to hide, and if we're lucky, might even gain us an ally.
[x] Go with her.
[X] Go with her.

...A Buddhist ranting?

Seems a bit out of place.
[X] Go with her.

No reason to delay, especially since it would easily prove the truth of what we're saying.


>>36898
Buddhist or no, people are people.
>>36899

Except we are supposed to be the epitome of what a Buddhist is supposed to be. I get we'd be disappointed by what Byakuren is doing, but I expected more control than that.
It might be possible that Myouren isn't a bodhisattva quite yet. The ranting, the sheer... connection, he has o his sis
ter, shows that she's his sore spot.

Also, Reina? Not Reimu? Curious.
File 138308357679.jpg - (661.11KB, 1600x1400, dc72f5027a3a1a8630f08186b64a490c.jpg) [iqdb]
36906
>>36900

To be a Bodhisattva is a great thing to a Buddhist, and while Myouren had and may still be seeking it, he is unable due to a rather unhealthy obsession.

[X] Go with her.

---

“I will go with you, please take me to Byakuren.”

You speak it firmly, looking her in the eyes.
An uneasy silence wafts between you, before she nods and points a finger to the northwest.

“Then come, it’s an hours journey around the forest.”

With that, she starts walking in the direction she pointed without waiting for you.

With a quick jog to catch up you walk behind her, it’s the first time you’ve looked around since waking up, the sun is only just rising though there is movement already, carts are milling about the distant roads, and more fires have started in the distance since last night.
You don’t know where you are, but wherever it is, it’s beautiful.

Gentle sunflower fields marked by patches of forest, proud farmland with river’s running through it, it appears not much has changed since you've died, at least, not in this land.
It’s a good half hours walk before she looks behind herself at you.

“You know boy, of all the cons to try and pull this is an odd one. Going against someone like her is dangerous, as are her followers, though I must say… the hair is a nice touch.”

Hair?

You reach up and grab a long of it and pull it into your vision.

Oh…

You can’t help it, you laugh.

“Hmm? Something funny boy?” She drawls her question curiously.

“I figured with all that happened that would've gone away, some things stick I suppose.”

“Explain.” She stops to look at you.

“It was back when I was first teaching her magic, she was so excited, barring healing and combat magic, she adored vanity magic. One of the first things she learned was how to change her hair color.”

You chuckle a bit at the memory.

“I remember her getting mad at me trying to teach her other forms of magic, she snuck into my room and changed my hair color to match hers. Problem was, she’s a novice, and she accidentally made it mostly permanent.”

“She was really worried, but I forgave her, and besides, what would be better than a brother and sister with matching hair styles?”

“It’s one of my fonder members.” You finish the story with a smile on your face.

She’s staring at you with a small smile on her face, before turning back and starts walking the path again, leaving you to catch up.

---

It’s another half hour of walking before you reach your destination, but eventually you reach what you’ve been told is her temple, and you recognize it, it’s near identical to the one back in your lifetime.

The gate is deserted, and from what you can see the inside is a bit of a mess.

“They must have finished morning services already.” Reina says with a sigh.

“Either way, we’re going to see Byakuren so head on inside.” She points into the courtyard and motions you to move.

You walk slowly into the temple grounds, little has changed, did she preserve it? Or rebuild it? No matter, the grounds are covered in various ceremonial papers and ribbons.

You hear movement to your left and tur-

Ah.

She hasn’t even changed her appearance then. It’s Byakuren. She’s staring at you owlishly.

What will you do?
[] Greet her.
[] Hug her.
[] Hit her.
[] Flee.

__________

I rewrote this twice and am still not entirely happy with it, but I posted what I considered passable before I went insane. So if it reads strangely sorry.
[X] Greet her.
[X] Greet her.

For some reason, I find the image of Byakuren staring at us completely dumbfounded hilarious.
>>36908

You'd think she'd have seen a ghost or something?

[] Hug her.

These two haven't seen each other in how long? I think this fits better, despite how Myouren feels about her path.
[x] Hit her.
THE UNEXPECTED

Also memory not member. I think.
>>36906
[] Greet her.
No hugs, at least not yet. Myouren isn't mad, Byakuren. He's just disappointed.
[X] Greet her.

Let's see how far we can go, acting like nothing is out of the ordinary.
Even if honesty is a virtue, siblings are always allowed to prank eachother.
>>36912

This, this so much.
File 138360584639.jpg - (219.49KB, 700x750, 6cc7d6dadc6052a1d11478fdb3b6f322.jpg) [iqdb]
36931
[x] Greet her.

---

“Hello sister.” You say it with a smile on your face, even past the disappointment, you missed her.

“Ah ba ba muaa?” She appears to be in shock. Though you suppose you can’t blame her.

Footsteps behind you, a quick glance and Reina is standing behind you staring at the scene with the small smile again on her face.

There’s a slight tugging at your robes.
Byakuren is examining your robes, and you, silently, she has a look of utter bewilderment on her face, like she doesn't believe you’re really there.

“Is something the matter sister?”

She’s staring you in the face now, she’s crying.

“…How?” … “Why?”

“You know what we believe sister, I had done enough deeds. Lived a fruitful life, I was in a temporary paradise, but I watched you, and I forsake it and came back to you.”

“And as for why…. You needed it.” You manage to say it without emotion.

Byakuren collapses to her knees, holding onto your robes and sobbing.

---

It is awhile later before your sister composes herself, rising to her feet slowly, her robes dirty and her eyes red.

And she still hasn’t let go of your robes.

“…I’m sorry sister, but for your sake, I would give everything.”

She’s staring you in the eyes again, before rearing her hand back and slapping you.

She’s gotten quite a bit stronger it appears, at least if your ringing ears have any opinion on the matter.

Though you suppose you deserve that quite a bit.
She wraps her arms around you silently and hugs you, her face buried in the crook of your neck.

You stand there silently, neither moving or reacting. Reina creeps into your vision slowly behind Byakuren and waits there.

---

Once your sister finishes, she sits you and Reina down on the veranda while she goes to prepare tea, it appears she is expecting a long conversation.

Reina sits silently besides you as you gaze the grounds, it’s been expanded upon, extra buildings and extensions are obvious. A girl comes out of a small shack near the entrance and starts cleaning the grounds from the earlier activities, she has an odd assortment of blue hair and dog ears.

Youkai or not she goes along happily sweeping… and singing some horrible butchered prayer verses.

Reina giggles at the display before turning to you, a curious look on her face.

“You know boy, in all of my years of knowing Byakuren I’ve never seen her act like that, what’d you do exactly that upset her? Surprise is one thing boy, but you set her off something fierce.”

…You suppose telling at this point can’t hurt anything.

“I died priestess, long ago, but you know that already.”

She nods.

“I passed on, reached my heaven, temporary as all things be, it still would have been a long while of paradise, at least to those still down here.”

“But I left, for her sake.”

She nods again. “ I heard that already, but that didn’t answer my question boy.”

“Well, once you leave, or in my case, force your way out of, you… can’t go back.”

“I’ve left the cycle, but not because I’ve achieved enlightenment.”

“When I die, and I don’t even know if I CAN really die at least in a normal sense, I cannot join those who came before and after me.”

“I've become her opposite, while she has strived to become immortal, I had it, almost anyway, but I’ve thrown it away, and I cannot have it again.” You finish solemnly.

There is a loud clatter behind you. It’s Byakuren, and she appears to have been holding a plate of tea that is now decorating the floor. She’s staring at you again before running off opposite your direction further into the temple.

You watch her run off silently.

“That’s quite a thing Myouren.” Reina says with a sad smile on her face, calling you by name for the first time since you’ve met her.

“Just don’t make sure you regret it.”

Reina calmly picks herself up before walking out of the temple.

---

What will you do?
[] Sit for awhile.
[] Talk to the sweeper.
[] Leave the temple.
[] Explore the temple.
[] Search for Byakuren.

____________________________

I'm playing a bit fast and loose with Buddhism, I couldn't find and texts that describe what happens if you abandon the cycle completely. So I went with what made the story work the way I need it too.
[X] Talk to the sweeper.
[X] Talk to the sweeper.

I expect Byakuren will need a few minutes without another big suprise dropped on her. Let's leave her alone for now.


>So I went with what made the story work the way I need it too.

That's the best way. Stay true to your source material until it would be a better story if you didn't.
>>36931
[x]Talk to the sweeper.
Let's give Byakuren some time to calm down a bit.
File 138385356138.jpg - (451.67KB, 800x640, 34d499aa4232f7d2e89e8b43864a8fee.jpg) [iqdb]
36938
[X] Talk to the sweeper.

---

Your sister would best be left alone for a while, that leaves the only other person on the grounds. Still sweeping, she seems to wrapped up in… Screaming the sutras that she doesn’t notice what has happened.

Well, sutras is a generous word, she’s more screaming one over and over, and only part of that.

“Gone, Gone, Gone over!”

You approach her quietly.

“Gone, Gone, Gone over!”

“Gone fully over, awakened, so be it.” You finish her chant for her. The heart sutra, an odd one to teach Youkai too say the least.

She jumps a bit at the interruption and spins to face you before smiling brightly.

“GOOOOOOOD MOOOOORNING!!!” She yells at you.
You regret your earlier decision to greet her… that is the second time this morning your ears are ringing.

“Welcome to the temple! New here?! Can I show you around?!”

She’s bouncing up and down with excitement, quite literally.

Points for getting someone spirited sister, but she needs to not kill those who come to the temple.

Either way.
“No.. no I’m quite alright, I was just saying hello.”

If someone possible her smile gets wider.

“HI! I’m Kyouko! I’m a priest in training!”
A priestess to be aswell?

“I am Hijiri Myouren, older brother of Byakuren and a monk.”

You bow to her, which she hastily returns.

“Byakuren didn’t say she had a brother!” Back to the bouncing again.

“Yes, I've only just recently returned.”

“Did she teach you that sutra?” Curiosity is getting the best of you.

“She did she did!”

“Did she teach you all of it?”

She ponders the question a bit, finally stopping the bouncing.

“I think so… but I forgot! It’s fun to chant it though!”

“Come then Kyouko, I’ll help you sweep and teach you the rest of it, I need to calm down a bit anyways.”

---

*Two hours later*

“This is the truth that cannot be doubted, say it so.”
“Gone, Gone, Gone over!”
“Gone fully over, awakened, so be it.” You finish the chant together, and a quick glance around reveals the grounds are spotless.

“Good work priestess to be, you learn quickly.” You say with a small amount of pride, while excitable she was open to learning and is surprisingly on the path to understanding it’s actual meaning, besides just loudly chanting it.

You ruffle her hair a bit as she smiles happily at you, she quickly scampers off to do other things however, leaving you standing in the grounds alone.

What will you do?

[] Relax for a while.
[] Search the temple.
[] Leave the temple.
[] Search for Byakuren.

_____

It's quite alot easier to write larger blurbs now, and if your interested, look up The Heart Sutra, it's what Kyouko is famous for shouting, and it is actually quite beautiful to hear. Gyate Gyate~!
File 138385443370.jpg - (9.48KB, 196x184, gone.jpg) [iqdb]
36939
[x] Search for Byakuren.
Gone gone gone over~
[X] Search for Byakuren.

We've given her a chance to calm down, now it's time to start dealing with the situation.
[X] Search the temple.
[x] Search for Byakuren.
>>36938
[] Search for Byakuren.
File 138513981932.jpg - (148.77KB, 800x1136, 293998fd4a60b48e85923c42e49bdf29.jpg) [iqdb]
37195
[x] Search for Byakuren.

Now then, you head back to the Veranda before heading off into the temple, its layout, though expanded still familiar to you.

A few minutes of walking inside the main building brings you to the bedrooms where you and your sister used to stay in, the halls pristine, though empty. The doors to both of your rooms are closed.

You quietly open the door to your sisters room and step inside, there’s a dim light being cast inside from upper window slits, revealing your sister sitting on a small stool reading a sutra scroll with nary a glance in your direction.

You suppose this is as good a time as any as you close the door behind you.

“I do not regret my decision sister, and I hope you know why I made it.” You say it with an air of solemnity.

“I’ve seen you, change, into something I could not, and cannot condone.”

“You used those who got close to you as a tool to seek power, was my death really that frightening sister?”

She twitches slightly but does not look up from the scroll.

“Everyone must move on with their lives, but you couldn’t sister…. I watched you, you placed the Youkai over humans, we seek balance and peace, I taught you this.”

“And even more than that you lied to them, for a purely selfish reason, and you succeeded in your goals.”

“I’ve come to help you, I want you to move on sister, and can’t you do that?”

Byakuren slowly closes the scroll before looking at you.

“That was a long time ago Myouren, my disciples are here genuinely, as are my disciples.”

“I help those that need it, and the Youkai here needed it, many of them had no homes, other were hurt or were hunted. They sought refuge here.”

“You never learned much of loss brother.” She’s attempting to argue.

“Either way sister I’m here now, and mother missed you dearly, she was always wondering when you would arrive to greet us.

“But you just couldn’t do that could you?”
“Your current actions have yet repented for over a hundred years of lies and cruelty.”

“You may smile but is it real sister?”



“But you are trying sister, you are repenting, and I wish to help you, I do not know if I go back, honestly I do not really care anymore, I’ve achieved my reward, tasted the fruit”

“I want to help you turn this temple back into what it used to be, a refuge for those who need it, a school for those who need learning, and a home for those that wish to live in its walls.”

“I’ve missed you sister, more than you can possibly realize.”

The dam breaks and she starts crying again, you silently reach out and wrap your arms around her in a tight embrace.

She made a mistake, and she spiraled down from there, but… she’s strong, she has repented and is making up for her past mistakes, what kind of brother would not help her with that? No matter the cost.



And now the question is, what will you do?

[] Offer to take a disciple.
[] Start working to promote the temple.
[] Start traveling to aid those in need.
[] Ask for her suggestion.
[] Write-in.

_______

I feel like an asshole for not updating for awhile.
It's hard to tell who is speaking. It looks like you're breaking up a single character's line into multiple paragraphs per sentence?

Also,

> “That was a long time ago Myouren, my disciples are here genuinely, as are my disciples.

This is confusing. Is one of these meant to be something else?
>>37198

The first disciples is meant to be followers sorry, and still getting used to writing dialogue. It's kind of a pain in the ass.
Rule of thumb for a dialogue: Each paragraph is a single character speaking. That paragraph should ideally include that character's name in narration. Do not have two adjacent paragraphs of a single character speaking unless they were interrupted by something or they're on a seriously long rant, since people expect a paragraph break to mean someone else is talking.

Advanced: If a single character is speaking for multiple paragraphs, you omit the ending quote mark for all but the last paragraph, and start the second with a quote mark.

Not mentioning the characters' names during the dialogue was the other problem, it makes it hard to keep track even if you do stick to the one paragraph rule, and would have been impossible if there had been a third character present. "X said / Y said" can get repetitive, even with other verbs, but it's better than nothing... though it'd be better to include characters' nonverbal reactions in this space to keep from getting too monotonous. Try reading some examples of how professional writers handle dialogue.
>>37201

Thanks, I'll practice a bit more and see if I can find a style I like for dialogue.
[] Offer to take a disciple.
File 139481748153.png - (581.50KB, 700x900, e083983ad608a51cfde000f2b6b37d5c.png) [iqdb]
37539
[x] Search for Byakuren.

Now then, you head back to the Veranda before heading off into the temple, its layout, though it has certainly been expanded since the last time you were… alive. It is still familiar to you.

A few minutes of walking inside the main building brings you to the bedrooms where you and your sister used to stay in, the halls pristine, though empty. The doors to both of your rooms are closed.

You quietly open the door to your sisters room and step inside, there’s a dim light being cast inside from upper window slits, revealing your sister sitting on a small stool reading a sutra scroll with nary a glance in your direction.

You suppose this is as good a time as any as you close the door behind you.

“I do not regret my decision sister, and I hope you know why I made it.” You say with an air of solemnity.

“I’ve seen you, change, into something I could not, and cannot condone.”

“You used those who got close to you as a tool to seek power, was my death really that frightening sister?”

She twitches slightly but does not look up from the scroll.

“Everyone must move on with their lives, but you couldn’t sister…. I watched you, you placed the Youkai over humans, we seek balance and peace, I taught you this.”

“And even more than that you lied to them, for a purely selfish reason, and you succeeded in your goals.”

“I’ve come to help you, I want you to move on sister, and can’t you do that?”

Byakuren slowly closes the scroll before looking at you.

“That was a long time ago Myouren, my disciples are here genuinely, as are my disciples.” She speaks with a soft voice.

“I help those that need it, and the Youkai here needed it, many of them had no homes, other were hurt or were hunted. They sought refuge here.”

“You never learned much of loss brother.” Her voice raises slightly as she finishes, she’s glaring at you.

With a pause you reply.

“Either way sister I’m here now, and mother missed you dearly, she was always wondering when you would arrive to greet us.”

“But you just couldn’t do that could you?”

“Your current actions have yet repented for over a hundred years of lies and cruelty.” You attempt to betray no emotion, but after so long you cannot help but allow anger to seep into your words.

But that is not what you are here for.

With a slight pause, you begin speaking again, not allowing anger into your voice, wrong or right, this is baby sister.

“But you are trying sister, you are repenting, and I wish to help you, I do not know if I go back, honestly I do not really care anymore, I’ve achieved my reward, tasted the fruit of paradise.”

“I want to help you turn this temple back into what it used to be, a refuge for those who need it, a school for those who need learning, and a home for those that wish to live in its walls.”

“I’ve missed you sister, more than you can possibly realize.” As you finish your statement you close the distance and wrap your arms around her, clutching her head to your chest.

She twitches before she clasps her arms around your waist and back. You’d think something was wrong before she buries her head further into your robes, softly crying.

She made a mistake, and she spiraled down from there, but… she’s strong, she has repented and is making up for her past mistakes, what kind of brother would not help her with that? No matter the cost.

A short time passes before the crying stops; however she seems content to continue the embrace.

You can help her. But the question is how.

[] Offer to take a disciple.
[] Start working to promote the temple.
[] Ban Youkai from the temple.
[] Start traveling to aid those in need.
[] Ask for her suggestion.
[] Write-in.


__________

I like this idea and I'm going to finish it dammit, hopefully better with the dialogue this time around.
[x] Start traveling to aid those in need

On one hand he wants to assist his sister in repenting, on the other hand he'd be ignoring the people outside of the temple that need assistance immediately in one way or another, and this seems to be something he sort of resents his sister for, her striving for power instead of assisting people.

It'd be a bit hypocritical if he put the needs of the one, his sister, before the needs of the many. He'll still have time to come around to the temple and supervise her.
[] Ban ASSAULT Youkai from the temple.
You don't NEED claws and fangs to defend yourself.
[x] Offer to take a disciple.
>>37551
can i change my vote to [x] Start traveling to aid those in need?

we kenshiro now.
[Return] [Top]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


Thread Watcher x
Reply toX