-  [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 62019)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM, WEBP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 143415009472.jpg - (131.54KB , 850x905 , sample-39db2f1a94960f4d85459c05b0418b77.jpg ) [iqdb]
62019 No. 62019
You are Patchouli Knowledge, a physically frail and sickly magician of profound aptitude and power. You live in the Voile Archives of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, though you have constructed an attached tower elsewhere, without internal fixtures as yet, which you may or may not inhabit much. You are Friends with Remilia, the vampire who owns the mansion, who considers it entirely too much effort to try to feed off you. Your Magical Potency varies somewhat from day to day, depending on how long of an incantation you can manage before breaking off into a fit of coughs, and how much strain your body can handle in addition to the rigors of illness. You currently have a box of ninety two vials of Medication stored in the library to offset the worst of the days, however, though it will later exact a toll, and your new Magical Focus eases use of magic to a significant degree. It seems that Luck can play a reasonable part in keeping yourself healthy, though effects may vary, as can the Hakurei Hot Spring.

Your magic is based on Elementalism primarily, though you are also skilled in Diabolism and Other Summonings, which can be surprisingly versatile, particularly in combination with Golems. You can also create Homunculi, if you have the materials to hand. You do not have any suitable samples of the key ingredient, however.

The date is Sep. 1, first of a hundred-day term. It is Thursday, day of Jupiter, Wood, and natural growth. Through dint of long and methodical practice, you find the use of Wood-natured elemental magics to come a touch easier on this day.

----

That's the problem with golems and similar things, you suppose. Unless they're given an end parameter and told to stop when they reach it they keep on following their instructions until cutlery is polished away into silver toothpicks and wells are dug into the earth's very core. Even with instructions about when to stop, sometimes they get an error of some kind and keep on. Or worse, they develop a mind of their own and opinions about it.

You take a moment to force the cleaning golems into a low power state of statues, here and there around the mansion, and sigh. It'll take you a few more minutes to alter them to only do hard flooring and countertops, but clearly that's a thing you have to do now. You dislike being exposed to a failure on the part of your creations.

"You are aware that you could have made them stand down?" you point out.

"I tried." Alistair complains, passing off the rug to be hung out to dry. "I went through every counter-spell I could think of and could perform before I gave up and just tried to keep up with the flood. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled about the fairies sleeping in the trees and chandeliers and making forts out of the cushions and bringing stray animals in to play with and taking fishing breaks and leaving buckets of live bait in the kitchen and eating and drinking whatever and wherever they pleased... but at least they clean up the mess they leave behind when it's pointed out, and they do better with the garden than I ever have."

"Did you try simply telling the golems to cease and desist?" you ask, pointedly.

"I..." Alistair says, slowly. "Ask.... what?" he says, seeming genuinely baffled. "What kind of idiot does it take to try to convince someone else's golems to do something? Or to stop doing something? The whole point is that they do what you tell them to, and don't care about anything else!"

"I left them under your control." you reply, shortly. "Instructions from you would have been accepted as though I gave them. You never attempted to do so?"

"Are you mad? Or is it just that I don't seem to have enough self preservation to not make myself an obstacle to golems in the middle of something, even if they're small? They had an arm off when one of the fairies got in the way!"

"Nah, it's cool, miss Sakuya taught us sewing!" one of the fairy maids says cheerily, waving an arm with a ring of stitches around it near the elbow.

When you look closer you see that instead of a simple, neat row, the thread is set in an embroidered and curling loop of green thorns and colorful flower buds, and no longer seems required to keep the limb in place. Not quite as extreme in nature as fairy resurrection, but recovery of that level is still fairly impressive for a simpler fae. Alistair shudders slightly.

"It's really pretty, I think I'll keep it." she continues, visibly contemplative.

"Wonderful. Do as you please. First, however, finish cleaning this up." you say, waving a hand and gathering all the standing water into an orb, which you fling out the window.

A high pitched squeal sounds off amidst the splashing noise, but you don't care to check. You really don't. You're already tired of all this, and you barely got here.

---

[ ] What do you do?
Expand all images
>> No. 62021
[X] While the fairies are cleaning, you may as well ask Alistair if he would rather have them at his command here or do away with them entirely. They have been limited on what to clean now.
[X] Once the fairies are done, bring everything and/or everyone you need to brign back and rest for a bit. The feast will without a doubt be noisy, on top of the duel. You just need to ensure you will wake in time to get ready for it.
>> No. 62027
[X] While the fairies are cleaning, you may as well ask Alistair if he would rather have them at his command here or do away with them entirely. They have been limited on what to clean now.
[X] Once the fairies are done, bring everything and/or everyone you need to brign back and rest for a bit. The feast will without a doubt be noisy, on top of the duel. You just need to ensure you will wake in time to get ready for it.

Vote sounds good.
>> No. 62029
Kahi is seeking donations as Chibi-Reaper on his thread at
QqQ Titled: Osaisen, commision'd Arts and Stories

https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/osaisen-commisiond-arts-and-stories.219/
>> No. 62030
>>62029
Because of this spam alone I wont donate.
>> No. 62031
>>62029
You don't need to spam it every time. You're hurting more than helping like this.
>> No. 62036
>>62032
I don't really think we can just give away fairies that Sakuya has personally trained for work around the mansion. This is the same problem we had in an earlier thread trying to boss Sakuya around. The fairies aren't ours to give away, we're just borrowing them. They're essentially Remi's property.
>> No. 62037
>>62036

You're right. I'm changing my vote. Also, I totally forgot why we gave this guy fairies and golems in the first place.

[X] Fairy vacation is over. Round them up and take them home.
[X] Deactivate all the golems and transform all but two of them into pure gold. Tell Alistair if he feels this is insufficient recompense for the damages rendered, he may feel free to contact you at a later date to discuss the details.
-[X] Golems have proven to be immune to whatever counterspell actions these wizards use, perhaps they might serve a better purpose by defending you during the duel.
-[X] Ask him for tips on dueling wizards.
[X] Get ready for dinner.
>> No. 62040
[X] Fairy vacation is over. Round them up and take them home.
[X] Deactivate all the golems and transform all but two of them into pure gold. Tell Alistair if he feels this is insufficient recompense for the damages rendered, he may feel free to contact you at a later date to discuss the details.
-[X] Golems have proven to be immune to whatever counterspell actions these wizards use, perhaps they might serve a better purpose by defending you during the duel.
-[X] Ask him for tips on dueling wizards.
[X] Get ready for dinner.
>> No. 62043
Guys, with the number of actions you put up... Did you even remember to take Patchouli's current mood into account?
>> No. 62044
>>62043

I'm not sure what you mean. I know she's pissed right now, but that shouldn't translate into her acting illogically or with unwarranted aggression.
>> No. 62045
>>62044
More like in a 'Why the hell do I care' phase. So asking for tips and doing more magic may be affected by temper or make it even worse.
>> No. 62046
>>62045

Uhhh...I don't think Patch is all THAT upset. I can see how annoyed she is from recent events, and it isn't really at a level that would prevent her from acting normally. She has been dealing with these fairies for wuite some time, so i'm sure both Patchy and Sakuya have plenty of experiance with fixing whatever it is they happen to break or mess up.
>> No. 62061
[X] While the fairies are cleaning, you may as well ask Alistair if he would rather have them at his command here or do away with them entirely. They have been limited on what to clean now.
[X] Once the fairies are done, bring everything and/or everyone you need to bring back and rest for a bit. The feast will without a doubt be noisy, on top of the duel. You just need to ensure you will wake in time to get ready for it.
>> No. 62062
File 143552766718.jpg - (136.08KB , 850x973 , charge.jpg ) [iqdb]
62062
You raise your hands and clap them loudly together. The sharp, sudden noise leaves fairies yelping and jolting in place.

"Play time is now officially over. Finish cleaning and then make yourself presentable." you instruct. "If you are a shooting type, then clear your mind in preparation for combat. If you are an item type, then be sure to have everything polished and gleaming. From today onward I may have need of you either as a show of force or in practical lessons. You will not tarnish Remilia's reputation or my own."

You doubt that the weight of your words settles properly into their empty heads, but you'll make do with excited cheering at the possibility of a battle game. Such fae don't quite grasp the penalties involved when they can't really die from injuries, you suppose.

In fact, the strangely innocent bloodthirst that seldom breaks until they have to confront the mortality of someone they like has them increasing their pace up to something actually approaching a serious clean-up crew instead of bored children that are mostly playing in their own mess. It's not an incredibly common trait in fairies, but common enough. If nothing else, Remilia knows how to choose them by the standards she's interested in.

"And for you... it seems that you've endured quite a bit of trouble." you sigh, reluctantly forcing yourself to admit that you might just bear at least a small amount of the responsibility for this situation coming to pass. "Now that you understand they can be controlled, shall I leave them here?"

"... Honestly speaking, my household charms have suffered a lot over the years. Werewolf and all." Alistair says, as though that explains anything. "Otherwise I'd be using those and everything would be back in order already. But on the other hand, I'm not really comfortable with mindless servants, since things like this happen. House elves are one thing, and the fairies are something like that, albeit not precisely as..."

Alistair struggles for words briefly, probably grasping some along the lines of 'competent' or 'skilled' before rejecting them for the sake of politeness.

Still, it's understandable that he's unsettled. Strictly speaking, while they would follow his orders, the golems are by their very nature your creations, and as such represent an implied threat every bit as much as a sword dangling by a thread over a throne. To his credit, it seems like Alistair hasn't lost much sleep over it, which either makes him braver or more foolish than you had thought. Or perhaps simply more trusting.

In any case, aside from the possibility of werewolves making pilgrimages of treachery here, there's not much reason to have so many golems active. You draw the wand and focus.

Stone into gold. It's not a simple matter of alchemy. Lead into gold is simpler, as both are similar metals, and it would be easier still if today were the day of either metal or stone. Still, you'll make do. It's within your ability at the moment, though it's probably convenient that turning them into pure gold would leave them extremely gaudy and garish. It means that you can instead do something that is both more impressively complicated than a one to one transformation, and at the same time less exhausting.

Most of the golems become art, worked of gold and jade, with simple black crystals set into their eyes and teeth and claws of marble. Valuable artwork made more-so by the nearly seamless mingling of the substances, greater than the sum of their parts. The remainder you simply direct to out of the way hiding spots, and leave different instructions, to preserve the safety of your minion.

"There." you say, rubbing a little sweat off your brow. "Most of them are now no more than valuable art pieces. The others have different duties. I feel that the sale of the first group should more than make up for the trouble you have been caused."

"That's kind of you, but really not necessary..." Alistair replies, automatically humble in the face of your generosity. "Really, I'll have to look into how I'd sell something like that without people asking where it came from... I guess I technically have underlings now though, don't I? I'll work something out, but the most important thing is to clear things up so they don't look too unusual..."

"Yes, I believe you mentioned that you planned to let out rooms?" you say, conversing cordially as rugs are hung out to dry and audibly beaten outside.

"It's not a normal situation." Alistair admits. "Actually, it was one of the fairies who gave me the idea, it wouldn't have crossed my mind otherwise. Old families might let close friends stay in their home for a brief visit, or move in on their charity, but they don't rent rooms even if they have enough spare ones to sleep in a different bed every day of the month. Who knows who might happen to have the money, after all. And on the other hand most wizards wouldn't contemplate for a moment the idea of living with a known werewolf. ...That might be mostly because werewolves don't own things, for the most part."

He pauses for a moment to consider that before continuing on.

"I'm not sure how long it will last, because I'm fairly sure he doesn't know I'm a werewolf, but I'm already fortunate enough to have someone asking after a room. His own condition is... somewhat unusual, of course, but as long as he actually sticks around as proof of concept there's at least some chance that someone else will follow suit."

He scratches the back of his neck.

"It's not the only option available, to be honest, but the rest of the tenants that I can think of maybe going through with a room... well, if Mundungus Fletcher started boarding here, he'd only stay until he'd confirmed that there was nothing valuable enough to walk out with. Or, I guess, until he'd already walked out with everything. Man's a notorious petty crook."

"I see." you say, attempting not to let on exactly how much the finer details of real estate management bore you. "I wish you luck in the endeavor, then. One more thing... if you were to duel a wizard, what would you keep in mind as the most important thing?"

"For dueling?" Alistair asks. "I'm a little rusty on casting, but the most important.... probably dodging. Transfiguration isn't really used in most dueling rings, so it's mostly charms and hexes. It's not an easy matter to dodge them, but in most cases they create visible signs of the magic, so if you can avoid that you can avoid the spell itself. It's not true in all cases by far, but most dueling spells will have that. A stunning spell comes in a bolt of light, or a concussive charm that compresses a small orb of force... on the other hand, you've also got spells that don't leave those traces, like the disarming charm that just rips whatever you're holding out of your hands, or campfire charms that just set the target on fire with no visible trace. Even in those cases, though, the wand has to be pointed directly at the target. There are defensive charms, shielding spells, that can divert or stop most invisible spells in their tracks, and a lot of duelists rely on those, but they don't stop everything and you'll have to avoid the rest anyway. I've heard some good things about counter-spelling, or canceling a spell before it even reaches the target, but the best bet is probably dodging."

You nod, having concluded as much yourself.

Stretching outward, you prod carefully through the fabric of reality again with your wand, connecting this room with your tower on the school grounds.

"Finish your work here and then return through this portal to the tower. It's connected through the basement to the mansion, so utilize that if you have something you need to do or fetch from there. Otherwise, await further instructions." you command, stepping back through.

You exhale slowly on the other side, thinking.

Golems are a visible problem, at least for Alistair. There's probably something there, and on a day like today you can create wood or plant-based golems relatively simply. In addition to that, you do have a standing force of fairy minions to call upon. You may not be able to bring Koakuma into this fight, but it's hardly as though you lack for options.

You tap your chin thoughtfully, and then spin in place at the sound of a soft crunch, wand extended and tip coming to a halt right between Rumia's red eyes.

She chews twice more and swallows slowly, and then takes another bite from the fried drumstick in her hand, teeth going right through the bone. Five red lines stretch across her face, and she's slightly ruffled, but protectively nestles a paper bucket of fried chicken to her side with the other arm.

"Hi?" she says, after swallowing.

"Where did you get that?" you ask, pointedly.

"Oh. This?" Rumia asks, looking down at the chicken parts and blinking. "Stole them. From that Greyback person."

She seems extremely pleased and self-satisfied.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 62063
File 143552877623.jpg - (294.46KB , 769x731 , rumia1.jpg ) [iqdb]
62063
... I can't quite bring myself to get mad at Rumia for this. I don't quite recall whether we were on good terms with Greyback or not, but she has clearly chosen to follow our rules about not eating people around here.

No vote yet, but leaning towards slight praise for following the rules and moving on since she clearly isn't doing anything too bad.
>> No. 62064
[X]-"That's nice."
[X]-Go to dinner.

I doubt Greyback is going to come after us over what his presumably his dinner getting jacked. Rumia jumped him once already after we met, and he didn't go looking for us then either. He's relying on us to protect his pack, and I'm sure the Death Eaters he's probably spending time with are any better company. Until more light gets shed on how Greyback gets along with Rumia, I'm not going to waste a vote reacting over chicken of all things.

ON WITH THE PLOT
>> No. 62065
[X] "That's nice."
[X] The feast will be soon... You should perhaps find a good outfit for the occasion. First impressions on students and all.

I did not forget I wanted KD!clothes for the feast.
>> No. 62066
[X] "That's nice."
[X] The feast will be soon... You should perhaps find a good outfit for the occasion. First impressions on students and all.

Well, it is just dinner. Unless there is some sort of clause where Werewolf must pay back in vengeance or some such, then we can probably throw Rumia at Greyback and shrug.
>> No. 62068
File 143556468256.jpg - (93.61KB , 745x1071 , 344a3d75ed30ff0049e61654596342c5.jpg ) [iqdb]
62068
[X] "That's nice."
[X] The feast will be soon... You should perhaps find a good outfit for the occasion. First impressions on students and all.
>> No. 62069
[X] Did he or any other werewolf bite you?
[X] Take a quick peek at the Greeks, just to make sure there're at least having sex somewhere inside Gensokyo.
[X] Ask Tewi if she would like to join you for an evening for fine dining and magical duels.
[X] Get dressed in whatever that one anon keeps going on about.

Guys...Tewi is like our own personal supply of felix felicis except using her isn't toxic or banned from competitions.
>> No. 62070
[X] "That's nice."
[X] The feast will be soon... You should perhaps find a good outfit for the occasion. First impressions on students and all.

>>62069
Except she's not a bottle you just take a sip from whenever it seems appropriate. She hands out fortune when she feels like it, not when it would be useful for us.
Besides, I don't think we're supposed to bring guests. This is a school ceremony, not a random party. (Well, it's pretty much a party anyway, but you get my point.)
>> No. 62071
[X] "That's nice."
[X] The feast will be soon... You should perhaps find a good outfit for the occasion. First impressions on students and all.

This says more or less what I want to say.
>> No. 62072
Didn't we leave Tewi on kind of a sour note? I'd want an apology ready before we contacted her again. Even Patchouli knows she crossed some kind of line, though she may not be sure why, so it wouldn't be completely out of character for her to offer a gift and awkward apology of some kind. I'm sure she has plenty of practice trying to make up for things she's not entirely clear on.


[X] "That's nice."
[X] The feast will be soon... You should perhaps find a good outfit for the occasion. First impressions on students and all.
>> No. 62073
>>62072
Perhaps, but now is simply not the time.
>> No. 62074
>>62073
That's why I didn't vote for doing it now, I'm just putting out a word of warning for people thinking of going and talking to Tewi.
>> No. 62082
>>62073
>>62074

You guys are totally right. See, this is why I hate hiatuses, I don't remember shit like this.

Anyway, not gunna bother to change my vote.
>> No. 62117
File 143719205949.jpg - (559.93KB , 850x1202 , traditionalclassy.jpg ) [iqdb]
62117
".... I see." you note, flatly.

It's not really your problem, you suppose? Rumia is a man-eater in the literal sense, and so could be causing you a lot more trouble than stealing away someone's food. Toying with Greyback in such a way may bring trouble back to your doorstep, but it's hardly as though she's acting against your requests.

... 'Yet' is the word that quickly follows, in a suspicious mind, but for the moment you leave that aside and continue back as Rumia crunches her way through wingbone and breading. You're going to have a lot of little wretches to keep under control for the next year, and so impressions will be paramount.

You have no doubt that the snot noses will be impressed by the duel, but the most immediate observations are difficult to shake. You must dress for the occasion.

For a few brief moments you consider the clothes from your recent outings, then set the idea aside. It won't do. Whether or not it's part of the current fashions outside, the wizards own taste in clothing seems to be much more restrained and traditional.

You don't need to go too far out of the way of your normal clothes, but take your time preparing anyway. Similar pattern, but of a finer cloth and weave, with a pale hooded outer robe in place of your cap and typical lounging attire. It's a little heavier than you prefer, trailing down to the ground in a nod to formal theatrics over function, but as far as dressing for show goes it could be much worse. There are places where that would involve all but chaining yourself to the ground with precious metals and rocks.

Rumia has clearly gotten bored and wandered out of your tower before you return, leaving behind a licked-clean mess that was a paper bucket once. It's not really your concern, though, as long as she's not making a nuisance of herself with the students.

Who have arrived.

In the distance in one direction, you can faintly hear carriages, and in another the subtle sound of many boats rowing all at once, as children chatter. Faint hints of coal smoke float on the breeze.

You prepare yourself and make your way to the castle, already seeming more active and loud, and enter the Great Hall. Prepared candles are floating across the massive room, occasionally dripping wax down to vanish before it impacts with anything. Instructors seat themselves at the head, while students walk in in clusters of handfuls at their own walking pace, chattering with each other.

...

There is nothing that should mark the Potter boy out in a crowd. Nothing at all. He's of average, or slightly below average, height, build, weight, his hairstyle isn't particularly notable, and his clothes are shabby and unimpressive. You've seen all this before, if only in student photographs.

And even so, there's a bizarre sense of presence about him. In the same breath both attractive and repulsive... or rather, compelling and repelling. Drawing attention and keeping the watcher at a distance.

The boy almost seems to sparkle in the light, as though glittering, in the same way that Remilia and Sakuya do when they go on a mutual Charismatic Elegance kick. That's something they do deliberately though, there's nobody trying to stay unseen as they toss flower petals, the way Meiling and the other maids get pressed into doing, and he doesn't seem to have any idea that it's happening or how to use it to his own ends the way they would, but his hair shifts slightly in what could be a breeze or draft if it was affecting any of the other students or the candles.

It's like he's the lead actor of a play, or the male lead of some tawdry romance novel still in its introductory period.

Watching the way he's held at a distance, with many of the pack visibly holding him in disdain, and still subtly admired from afar by even some of those same students deeply annoys you on a personal level, but you suppose you're already going to be doing your best to avoid and ignore the students outside of class hours, so it doesn't matter much. Spotlights can shine wherever they please, as long as they aren't centered on you.

"I hear you are ready for an exhibition..?" Flitwick begins, and the Umbridge woman's lips thin more than slightly.

"Ah, Filius, the fine details may be discussed over the feast. Before then, however, there is the Sorting to observe." Dumbledore interrupts cheerfully as that ragged hat is set out in prominence before the hall, smallest of the children lining up to the side. "And, of course, the typical notifications, introductions, and words of wisdom. Perhaps a rousing chorus of the school song..."

Irritation is visible across the table and Dumbledore trails off, smiling slightly.

"Or perhaps not." he says simply, as the first name on roll call is sounded and the child steps forward to tremble slightly under the cap.

"Hufflepuff." Is the hat's verdict, after only a moment of consideration.

You tune the progression of students out, focusing instead on your thoughts. You need to decide now what manner of rules the duel will be held by, and of course you have to prepare yourself before speaking in front of the brats.

---

[ ] ??
>> No. 62120
[ ] 1cc, no bombs

Anybody? No? Okay...

[X] First to three. Summons only. Must fit between two tables, as the lane in the center will be the dueling ground. Theatrics will be encouraged, as this duel is, in part, to impress the students.
-[X] Particularly small dragons are banned.
--[X] A coin will be flipped to determine first summon.
---[[x]] If we do happen to be winning, we should take care to make it as close as possible.

In the event I forgot something in the story about 'summons are very no', then a simple

[v] First to three.
-[v] Points awarded on contact of spell, damage notwithstanding. This means simple light balls would be fair game.
--[v] Flash would be appreciated by the crowd.
---[[v]] If we appear to be winning too thoroughly, we should give ourselves a narrow loss, having been 'exhausted' by the excess of power expended.


One or the other, I'm just giving options and ideas. Chop 'em up and simplify as you see fit, anon/writefag
>> No. 62121
I would rather think 'Keep It Simple Stupid'.

What about just making something each must protect from teh others? They can be as violent as they want on a non-living target and it's indirect enough so that Umbridge should have no complaint.
>> No. 62123
>>62121

I dunno...that seems more reasonable, yea, but I kinda wanna see some action. I'm kinda diggin the first to three spell contact the dude above you posted. I'll prolly vote for that if nothin better comes up.
>> No. 62124
>>62123
There can be plenty of action with alternating offensive and defensive spells.

[X] Perhaps a duel protecting a figure or construct of a sort (with size to agree on) while striking down the other's would be best. Inuries would be avoided without having to truly restrain yourself, so the toad would have no real reason to protest.
[X] As far as speaking to the students go, stick to what you decided before. Keep it simple and avoid lying simply by not saying the full truth. You are here for a year, you will see this will be a year they won't forget (unlikely, given Yukari) and you do hope they can beat your expectations (which would be nice). Things like that.

That should be good. Just laying down too many lines for rules would just be irritating when we already what Dumbledore doesn't want to see and that if there's no chance of injuries, Umbridge will have no true argument against it.
>> No. 62126
And I noticed I forgot a j in injuries in my write-in... Dammit.
>> No. 62127
>>62124

Yea, with Shitbridge here this might be the best way to go. Hopefully she ens up dying before this year is over.

[X] Perhaps a duel protecting a figure or construct of a sort (with size to agree on) while striking down the other's would be best. Injuries would be avoided without having to truly restrain yourself, so the toad would have no real reason to protest.
[X] As far as speaking to the students go, stick to what you decided before. Keep it simple and avoid lying simply by not saying the full truth. You are here for a year, you will see this will be a year they won't forget (unlikely, given Yukari) and you do hope they can beat your expectations (which would be nice). Things like that.

>>62126

FTFY bro
>> No. 62128
[X] Perhaps a duel protecting a figure or construct of a sort (with size to agree on) while striking down the other's would be best. Injuries would be avoided without having to truly restrain yourself, so the toad would have no real reason to protest.
[X] As far as speaking to the students go, stick to what you decided before. Keep it simple and avoid lying simply by not saying the full truth. You are here for a year, you will see this will be a year they won't forget (unlikely, given Yukari) and you do hope they can beat your expectations (which would be nice). Things like that.

This sounds like good ideas to me.
>> No. 62129
[ ] No items
[ ] Foxes only
[ ] Final Destination

Wait, that's for an entirely different style of dueling! So many to keep straight...

Anyway, we do have these guidelines that were previously agreed upon:
>"Perhaps it's best if we simply combine elements from all the options." he decides. "To a duel where directly attacking the competition is forbidden, and grounds for forfeiture, and the battle is decided through manipulating and transfiguring the surroundings and such. I understand you have erected some buildings on the grounds, so that sort of spellwork shouldn't be entirely unfamiliar to either of us."
>"Acceptable." you decide, with a nod.

Having proxy targets is a pretty good way to go about the goal of not targeting the competition, but it also moves things toward enabling the use of direct blasting spells, rather than focusing upon transfiguration and manipulation of the environment. After all, either of us could just blast any target with everything we can throw at it directly- unless we can't directly attack the targets either?

Starting out with a small grace period (thity seconds or so?) for preparatory non-offensive spellwork, allowing for some complex summonings, transformations, or animations than could be easily managed in the heat of battle, could shift that back in the other direction. At the very least it would ensure that both sides have the chance to deploy something adequately impressive.
>> No. 62130
>>62120

I'm changing my vote now that the ball's rolling at a good pace.

Taking

>>62129

Into account, I propose a new vote.

[X] Perhaps a duel protecting a figure or construct of a sort (with size to agree on) while striking down the other's would be best. Injuries would be avoided without having to truly restrain yourself, so the toad would have no real reason to protest.
[X] As far as speaking to the students go, stick to what you decided before. Keep it simple and avoid lying simply by not saying the full truth. You are here for a year, you will see this will be a year they won't forget (unlikely, given Yukari) and you do hope they can beat your expectations (which would be nice). Things like that.

With the addition of the following:

[X] Spells that make direct contact with the target of destruction are banned.
-[X] You get 30 seconds of prep time per spell

Anything I should change? Or is this good?
>> No. 62131
>>62130
There's really no point in that extra, I think. Don't overcomplicate things.
>> No. 62132
>>62130
30 seconds per spell implies massive pauses between the participants doing anything, which is really weird. Thirty seconds flat at the beginning is something we could take or leave based upon whether we want to give both participants time to brew up a complex/impressive effect or get right to the action, but per spell is just an awful plan.
>> No. 62133
Anybody else notice Patchy's "typical bishoujo responce to the hot senpai" reaction when Harry walked in? Kinda makes me wonder who's going to be Tewi's rival, since every story with romance has to have at least two people fighting over the protagonist.
>> No. 62134
>>62133
Maybe it's something from being a descendant of Koakuma.
>> No. 62135
>>62133
To me it more seemed like she was idly examining him like one would an unusual experiement result.
Less "notice me sempai" and more "huh, that's almost (academically) interesting".
>> No. 62136
>>62135

>both attractive and repulsive
>The boy almost seems to sparkle in the light
>subtly admired from afar by even some of those same students deeply annoys you on a personal level

This isn't academic interest at all. This is the very textbook definition of the hot senpai introduction.
>> No. 62137
- Duel type:
[x] Duel by proxy to destroy a given easily shattered floating crystal ball. Both participants get one. Opponent of the ball creator gets to choose which to prevent foul play.
[x] Give some short time (1 minute?) where any spell can only affect the area 'near' the starting spot for each caster. Or gracefully alternate spells. Chaos makes for a more exciting duel to watch though.
[x] Foul play involves harming opponent directly or indirectly. Distraction or non-harmful attacks such as stuns or other such spellwork is fine. Should probably also include direct spells that would instant shatter the orb or it turns into 'who can shout reducto first'.

- What to do?
[x] Stick to patchy's overarching theme of 'elementalism in 7 flavours'

- Our strategy (offensively, pick an idea):
[o1] Try to use the element of Wood to create the magical veela-style sylph forest of heaven to bedazzle and/or confound (then just walk up and smash the ball with a mallet).
[o2] Temporary Miniaturize field effect, into a maze filled with bugs pulled from Earth.
[o3] Non-directional bouncing laser shenanigans from the Sun.
[o4] If all else fails, you can use judicious application of Fire by immolating a summoned serpent which strikes at the orb.

- Defensively (again, pick or mix/match):
[d1] Use a Water globe to protect the orb.
[d2] Shell the orb with something really hard and heavy using Metal(, then send it at high velocity into the opposing sphere. )
[d3] Combine Illusions and covert ops using Moon. E.g. illusionary duplicates plus invisibility. charm. High risk.

One interesting spell for each element.
>> No. 62138
I never get why people insist on being so complicated in votes. Can we not keep it simple? Details would need to be dsicussed with our opponent anyway.
>> No. 62139
>>62138

Sometimes Kahi uses things from votes that didn't win. Being really elaborate and throwing out tons of ideas helps to spark the creative process. It also shows the author that his readers are passionate about the work he's putting out.
>> No. 62146
[X] Perhaps a duel protecting a figure or construct of a sort (with size to agree on) while striking down the other's would be best. Injuries would be avoided without having to truly restrain yourself, so the toad would have no real reason to protest. 
[X] As far as speaking to the students go, stick to what you decided before. Keep it simple and avoid lying simply by not saying the full truth. You are here for a year, you will see this will be a year they won't forget (unlikely, given Yukari) and you do hope they can beat your expectations (which would be nice). Things like that. 
>> No. 62147
Hell, let's just go full Harry Potter and have them protect their most loved friend/relative.
>> No. 62253
>>62147
sounds unfair; a library is way harder to protect than a single person.
>> No. 62269
>>62253

Well I mean...that's why I said friend or relative. I just think it might be a fun bit of situational irony, since that would probably be Remilia or Koakuma. Either way, it would be pretty amusing to throw the whole "no devilry" thing back in Dumbledore's face, since he's prolly used to getting his way in things.
>> No. 62300
the idea of remi playing the maiden in distress amuses me.
>> No. 62322
>>62300

I support this concept wholeheartedly.
>> No. 63124
Test
>> No. 63125
>>63124
Die in a fire.
>> No. 63131
>>63125

Maybe that was Kahi testing to see if his ban expired.
>> No. 63140
>>63131
we can only hope
>> No. 63180
>>63131
I don't think Kahi was ever banned, was he?
He's just the victim of a very fickle muse.
>> No. 63182
>>63124

Please don't bump until I've gotten a lasso back over my escaped muse and posted, it upsets people.

>>63131

As far as I know, I haven't been banned for anything...?
>> No. 63183
>>63182
You're damn right it upsets us, he was getting our hopes up for nothing.
That said, good to see you're still around.
>> No. 63184
>>63182

My bad yo. The ban thing was just me being stupid cuz I didn't think you were coming back.
>> No. 63354
SO is this quest still active or?
>> No. 63355
>2016/07/30

Are you allergic to dates, or are you just trolling?

No, I told you to put sage on the email field; you're definitely trolling.
>> No. 63356
the cringe is real
>> No. 63357
>>63355
Sorry. Kinda new here, still reading up on the site rules.

So like this? Just typed 'sage' in the email field.
>> No. 63358
>>63357

Yes, exactly like that.
>> No. 63359
I'm really thinking of bumping some other threads. Can stand the heartache of seeing this on my daily rounds.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x