- [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 53008)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM, WEBP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 133651069420.jpg - (0.98MB, 850x1207, sample_579654f1d5f2cf5329b4b18f6bd2c175e3a7934c.jpg) [iqdb]
53008 No. 53008
You are Patchouli Knowledge, a physically frail and sickly magician of profound aptitude and power. You live in the Voile Archives of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, though you have constructed a tower elsewhere, without internal fixtures as yet, which you may or may not inhabit much. You are Friends with Remilia, the vampire who owns the mansion, who considers it entirely too much effort to try to feed off you. Your Magical Potency varies somewhat from day to day, depending on how long of an incantation you can manage before breaking off into a fit of coughs, and how much strain your body can handle in addition to the rigors of illness. You currently have a box of ninety five vials of Medication stored in the library to offset the worst of the days, however, though it will later exact a toll, and your new Magical Focus eases use of magic to a significant degree. It seems that Luck can play a reasonable part in keeping yourself healthy, though effects may vary, as can the Hakurei Hot Spring.

Your magic is based on Elementalism primarily, though you are also skilled in Diabolism and Other Summonings, which can be surprisingly versatile, particularly in combination with Golems. You can also create Homunculi, if you have the materials to hand. You do not have any suitable samples of the key ingredient, however, as Koakuma harvested far more than you could probably have used, and it's gone quite off.

Your library is currently playing host to a subterranean spider, an 'ordinary' witch, a pair of male greek giants inhabiting the form of statuary and a young maiden, and a number of confectionary-based life forms, which are the focus of your private experimentations. Some of which are interesting enough that you might keep them, once through. You are currently contemplating Poison and paying visits to certain people. These two items are, as it happens, unrelated.

---

[ ] What do you do?
Expand all images
>> No. 53010
Would Eirin be better suited for this poisoning thing? She might be in a better position to know what poisons wouldn't be lethal and wouldn't have dangerous lasting consequences. And did we tell her about the portals?

Will hold back vote for a bit.
>> No. 53011
I know the poison is to go in the wine, but what is it used for after that? battle of wits showing they were able to produce a poison they weren't able to detect?
>> No. 53012
>>53010
Eirin would ask for compensation however, while Marisa has no trouble doing things like that while working under us.

[x] Ask Marisa to brew something interesting for the wine. Tell her to note what she uses just in case.
[x] Go visit Kourindou. You still need a battery.

We can put the visits for right after.
>> No. 53013
It's supposed to be a gift, a show of good will that nonetheless involves a significant challenge to his abilities. So the objective is to find something that Snape will find - eventually - but not to make it so easy that he'd see it as an insult to his skills.
>> No. 53014
[x] Before anything else, tell Koakuma to get rid of the rotten homunculus ingredient samples.

[x] Tell Marisa to brew you a poison.
-[x] It should be something that won't permanently harm a human but might mess them up for a day or two, and that won't be easy to detect (or possibly to remove). If possible, provide her with a British book containing their standard poison detection and removal spells so she can trick them.

[x] Go to Kourindou and look for a battery.
>> No. 53015
[x] Before anything else, tell Koakuma to get rid of the rotten homunculus ingredient samples.
[x] Breakfast may be in order.
[x] Tell Marisa to brew you a poison.
-[x] Tell her to take it as an excersize to hone her skills: to attempt to make a poison as undetectable as possible.
[x] Go to Kourindou and look for a battery.
-[x] If there is none to be found pick up a small non-magical trinket instead, in lieu of having to go to the... Kappa..
>> No. 53016
Have we gotten Marisa drunk yet? I remember that that was a thing I wanted to do.
>> No. 53017
[x] Before anything else, tell Koakuma to get rid of the rotten homunculus ingredient samples.

[x] Tell Marisa to brew you a poison.
-[x] It should be something that won't permanently harm a human but might mess them up for a day or two, and that won't be easy to detect (or possibly to remove). If possible, provide her with a British book containing their standard poison detection and removal spells so she can trick them.

[x] Go to Kourindou and look for a battery.
THis covers all I think. Nice OP pic by the by
>> No. 53021
Yuyuko would be good with poisons. Canonically she tried to poison the people in IaMP. Maybe she knows a good one.
>> No. 53022
If this is a battle of wits, then mere "poison" is not enough.

We must assume that he checks all bottles - as magic is more than capable of a perfect resealing. But leaving a magical trace upon it would suffice as a declaration of intent, whereas no trace at all might be more appropriate and suspicious.

Killing needs one toxin, but play needs many.
No man would drink from a bottle with but one poison within it, lest he be most confident in his antidotes - which Snape should be and should know to be wary of.

So two poisons.

One subtle and one not so. Or three, if one is inert - I suggest a slightly higher alcohol content - but four is pushing absurdity. Too much subtlety on the other hand, is counter-productive.

Despite his paranoia, he is unlikely to be so unmanned by the threat that he cannot see it for the game it is - from an absolute stranger, enmity is a rarity - but the poisons should not even have a mind for lethal, dangerous or unpleasant effects. They should be interesting to a potion-master. That doesn't just mean of unique providence - such as the waters of the River Lethe - but of fine and clever weft.
They should, in line with the above structure, also not spoil the taste - nor their antidotes.

If that is beyond us, perhaps we should not even bother. If a simple puzzle is an insult, then an impersonal contest of skill is even more so - so then we must prepare these poisons by our own abilities.

The enjoyment of the Poison Game is as follows:
Detection of the poisons.
Analysis of their composition and effects.
Construction of an antidote.
Finally, to perhaps drink the now-harmless wine - if we present this challenge suitably (need not be openly) then this should follow naturally.

Afterwards, we should ask him "Tell me Potions-master. Which bottle was the superior?"
By that answer we will know him well.
>> No. 53023
>>53022
I think we should go with the subtle and not so subtle poisons.
>> No. 53024
>>53022
That's a very good idea.

It's synthetic with having Marisa make a poison, too. We'll see how subtle she can make it. (My hopes aren't terribly high though, considering her focus on raw power, and that her healing potion has a risk of causing possession.)
>> No. 53025
[x] Remind self whether the kappa are insane shirikodama-gobblers or friendly to humans. If the latter, you probably should plan to talk to them too.
[x] Throw out golem samples.
[x] Find out what happened with the one-eyed M-pattern. If it did not integrate and is still alive, have Koa check it for a soul.
[x] Set a homunulous to record hat data each morning.
[x] Go to Kourindou. In exchange for the battery, silence the Y-pattern's cage.
>> No. 53026
>>53022
If there's any single person we know of up to a task like this, it'd be Eirin.
>> No. 53027
but isnt it more of a personal contest, not who has the best potion making friends? she could ask for a bit of advice, but she needs to do it herself
>> No. 53034
From what I remember from earlier in this story (specifically the truck bit) Nitori seemed to be friendly. Then again, she wasn't dealing with humans but if I had to make a call without any more knowledge I'd assume they were at least neutral to humans.

Still, a self-reminder wouldn't hurt.

[x] Remind self whether the kappa are insane shirikodama-gobblers or friendly to humans. If the latter, you probably should plan to talk to them too.
[x] Throw out golem samples.
[x] Find out what happened with the one-eyed M-pattern. If it did not integrate and is still alive, have Koa check it for a soul.
[x] Set a homunulous to record hat data each morning.
[x] Go to Kourindou. In exchange for the battery, silence the Y-pattern's cage.
>> No. 53041
>>53034
The only way Koa can really "Check" is to try and consume it.
>> No. 53042
>>53022

Bah, "inert" and "alcohol" - I evidently need to pay closer attention.

###

[X] Friendly Kappa?

[X] In fact, reminisce briefly on the most recent political events. Those Taoists, for example, are ostensibly benevolent (towards humans) - but they're also as eccentric as any other resident.

I was pleased to see signs that SoPM was being incorporated (best book so far), but is it completely so? I haven't noticed anything that's really contradictory, especially when there's still a bunch of canon ambiguity even when they say that so-and-so's a complete monster.

Hm. I was going to say that Seiga was an example of a character "likely" to show up - and realised that her motivation, temperament and powers are actually rather similar in some ways to Yukari... which could be annoying, but at least she isn't likely to endanger anyone.
>> No. 53044
Called, collecting votes. Can't promise immediate update, though.
>> No. 53093
File 133710182742.jpg - (432.58KB, 1000x1000, fdbb6ab60b017480661c4adae90bf74a83d9c37a.jpg) [iqdb]
53093
First things first. You have to take out the garbage.

Rather, you have to have an appropriate person deal with the matter.

You seldom bother to venture into Koakuma's quarters, but needs must and all. You find her snoring softly in a bed set against one wall, another of which is occupied by the homunculus you gave her, chained up in a semblance of crucifixion and entirely nude save for a hood of leather and rubber enclosing its entire head save for the mouth.

You're surprised she hasn't broken it and thrown it out yet. Most likely she'll forget to feed and water it at some point. No matter. In any case, the bedding and walls reveal nothing out of the norm, seeming perfectly ordinary and revealing themselves to be entirely without any sort of spattered gore or horrific and dire prophecies carved into the walls with her fingernails.

You suppose she got bored with that at some point, and given that she doesn't receive visitors often in any case, decided not to bother with ceremony.

Topping it all off, she is clutching a teddy bear to herself as she slumbers.

Of sorts. In point of fact, it's actually the remains of an infant bear, stolen from its mother, killed, skinned, and then stuffed to make a semblance of the children's toy. There was some difficulty in properly curing the fur, as you recall, and the false eyes placed will insist on popping out and rolling all over the place if not minded, and aren't particularly lifelike besides, but it's neither here nor there and you didn't step in here to split hairs. But to soak them, rather.

Koakuma sits up, spluttering from the shock, and revealing as the sheets pool down about her hips that she sleeps in the nude. Of course she does. She pretends to be embarrassed and looks away, managing to arrange her arms in an attempt to cover herself that is spectacularly ineffective at covering herself, feigning enough surprise that it could be a simple mistake and not deliberate attempts at seduction. If she'd managed to fake an actual blush on the spot, it might be more effective.

"C-cold~" She stammers, shifting her arms to prominently display the effects of such unexpected chill.

"Enough of that. You have work to do. I need you to dispose of the homunculi samples." You say, dryly.

"... And you have to wake me up for that?" She grouses.

"I would prefer not to come into any more contact with the substance than is absolutely necessary." You admit. "And while I could simply incinerate the lot of it, I may wish to reuse those vials at some point."

"... Awww. You know full well how caked on that stuff is by now..." Koakuma whines.

"Then you had best get started, hadn't you."

"You're not punishing me for something, are you...?"

"... I wonder. Is there anything you might have done, recently, that would warrant a punishment?" You ask, instead of admitting you'd decided to do this on a whim.

Koakuma can't quite hide the momentary flicker of guilt. But then, you were expecting that... she does make something of a habit of getting into as much trouble as she can. Usually it's harmless enough, kidnapping a fairy or three from their duties to play cultists-and-maiden-sacrifice or some such, but it's best to keep hinting that you know what she's been up to and occasionally punish her for it, even if you have no actual evidence that she's been anything but on her best behavior.

It encourages her to keep those childish misdemeanors harmless, after all.

"Right, right, I'm going." She says, starting to stand up to dress physically, and without shame, despite that she knows full well how to alter her clothes through magical means. You're already out the door, however, and don't bother to look back, through polite indifference.

Next is the witch.

She's already awake and casually eating breakfast. It looks like a local meal of soup, rice, and fish.

"I need you to brew me a poison." You say, not bothering to beat around the bush.

The slow slurping at her soup comes to an uncomfortable halt. She seems a bit uncertain about this command.

".... Nothing that will cause permanent harm." You clarify. "Perhaps powerful and blinding headaches, or a lingering nausea that makes it impossible to eat anything more strongly flavored than unseasoned boiled rice."

"Oh, yeah, I can do that." She says, looking a little relieved. "... I mean, I can do the other kind too, but I'd rather not. Not without me being really sure it's both worth my time, and it won't be turning around on me any time soon, anyway..."

"Consider it, as well, to be a challenge. To make it as impossible to detect as you can when mixed with alcohol..."

"Gonna need a sample of it." She says right away. "For stuff."

"You can locate beverages on your own time, correct?"

"Nah, not drinking, just... stuff. Like, it's no good if I make something that's totally invisible in sake, only it gets completely neutralized in plum brandy and messes up the flavor besides, right? That'll get noticed in a snap."

"Fine, as you please. It will be arranged." You say, grudgingly.

.... You may need to acquire another bottle, later, but that's beside the point and shouldn't present much of a problem. For now, as the witch goes back to her meal, you focus on other things.

You have to think about the Kappa.

They did seem fairly friendly, to a point, upon that occasion where they... barged into your home without so much as a by-your-leave, tore apart your vehicle and improved it according to their own specifications, then left without a word of explanation. They did leave that manual, of course, and you can only assume that only a fool wouldn't read it thoroughly unless they were already very familiar with Kappa work...

And there's that item of Kamishirisawa's as well. The coffee-brewer. She seems quite pleased with it, and it is apparently of Kappa make, no matter how vaguely disturbing it might be to look at as it does its job.

Well, 'to a point', you suppose, is the best way you can put it. Though they don't seem to have, thus far, displayed a widespread enmity towards anyone in particular...

As a whole, you guess you would have to call them relatively neutral, tending to slight friendliness, towards all other parties except Tengu and Oni, with which they are more friendly, judging by local interplay of species and such.

Of course, there is the fact that this is only from what you have observed, and a judgment of the species as a whole. It's not out of the question that there might be outliers in either direction, individuals of pronounced friendliness towards other individuals, or ones which bear a pronounced enmity towards specific individuals or species.

After all, there is the matter of shirikodama to consider.

From what your brief research into local matters and history, though it could be mistaken considering you only spent a few days some time ago devoted to it, the word is a euphemism, of sorts. An extended metaphor, regarding physical matters, and...

As far as you can determine, it refers to a specific portion of anatomy. The prostate gland, in fact. As the Kappa have a historically known propensity to steal the shirikodama of unwary humans...

Well, it's not out of the question that, in the literal sense of such things, a human could no doubt die of such an injury. If not immediately, of shock and blood loss, then infection would almost certainly set into such a wound. And therefore, individual Kappa with a habit of targeting humans could easily color the perception of the whole.

Less literally is the possibility of a different sort of victimization, in which case a specific Kappa might be considered too friendly with humans, and the 'theft of shirikodama' in such a case would instead be referring to particularly forceful molestation of unwary humans. A shirikodama-extracting device could, therefore, be applied either to a device designed for torture and murder or, in the other hand, a device for the enhancement of pleasure from certain acts.

Well, you can't imagine many humans would be happy about it in either case, whether the theft is in the more literal or more figurative sense. Particularly those inquisitive sorts that might hint that they would be receptive towards the latter, only to find themselves unfortunately left open for the former.

In any case, probably best to deal with the half-youkai before venturing to places where the Kappa reside.

The trip is uneventful, and the man nods at you as you enter. Though you do not often come here personally, you are occasionally known to send a servant out to collect some new tome or another.

On that note, your eyes automatically focus on the bookshelves. A quick glance reveals nothing new, however, simply the same collection of fiction and nonfiction, mingled with a very few basic magical texts. Nothing unique or even exceptionally valuable in the lot. It seems to keep the youkai thumbing through them pacified, however. You're given to understand that she is something of a regular as well.

A passing inspection of the rest reveals little of interest. A case of vials containing mystery liquids, every one different from the rest. Bins of refurbished tools and weapons set here and there... the shopkeep keeps his own blade close to hand. You've made inquiries after it before, as it's certainly an interesting and powerful item, but have been rebuffed. He's not interested in selling it. You haven't made any less open attempts to acquire the blade as yet, from a combination of politeness and self preservation. If you made such attempts and were discovered, after all, then you would have given him cause to swing that blade, after all, and though it may be an interesting item for study at some point you are not so desperate yet that you are willing to take risks of that nature.

There are of course shelves of curiosities: music boxes, bookends, paperweights and such. None of them seem to be of particular interest, in all honesty. But aside from those there are also some trays of jewelry and devices fallen through the border from Outside. The former are arranged neatly on display beneath a sheet of glass to prevent thoughtless hands from picking them up and inspecting them.. and then, accidentally of course, dropping them into a pocket before the inspector leaves. With those such as Kirisame about, doubtless a wise precaution. The latter, however, are scattered on their trays without much care taken for their placement. Making it easier to pick them up for a closer look.

You don't see, though....

"A battery?" He asks, after you make the inquiry. "... Actually, I do have one in the back. But I'm afraid one of the Kappa has a long-standing order placed for it, if one was to be located in suitable condition. Apparently she makes a point of inspecting such things to see if anything new has been developed, and how it compares to her own work. I've actually already sent word and she should be arriving later..."

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53094
Kahi, what kind of battery are we talking about anyway? Just normal ones or a car battery? One type will be far easier to obtain than the other.
>> No. 53098
[X] Ask if you might examine the battery before it gets picked up.
-[X] If it seems possible to replicate, make a note of its construction and make one later.
-[X] If not, look for a possible stand-in, or consider asking the kappa to make another one.
[X] Just for the hell of it, see if Kourindou has any outsider alcohol lying around.

That oughta do for a start.
>> No. 53102
[X] Ask if you might examine the battery before it gets picked up.
[X] See if Kourindou has any outsider alcohol lying around.
[x] Ask who the Kappa is. You shall discuss the matter with him/her.
>> No. 53103
[X] Ask if you might examine the battery before it gets picked up.
-[X] Depending on the size, this is something you could ask the yakuzas Outside to get for you if it's big. You could pay with a jewel or two without the trouble of getting those changed for currency.
>> No. 53110
Examining the battery on our own probably won't do much. It sounds like the Kappa just wants to take a peak at it herself. Therefore, the two birds with one stone option:

[x]Browse the store for other hidden treasures while waiting for the Kappa to arrive
-[x]When she gets here, if the battery is of no further interest to her, offer to take it off her hands. Additionally, inform her about the potential incursions.

It might be worth mentioning that the Wizards are very much behind the technical curve, to make sure an overeager inventor doesn't get... ideas.
>> No. 53111
>>53110
Did it cross your mind that examining it may also mean that the battery will be dismantled? Unless you trust the kappa to put it back together without explosives?

Besides, we happens to have more convenient means of getting one without bargaining with a kappa.

[X] Ask if you might examine the battery before it gets picked up.
-[X] Depending on the size, this is something you could ask the yakuzas Outside to get for you if it's big. You could pay with a jewel or two without the trouble of getting those changed for currency.
>> No. 53112
Surprised nobody jumped on the Tokiko. An intelligent and non-hostile youkai interested in learning in general would be a useful tool. We'd barely need to offer her anything - like an intern, just working for us at a magical academy would be compensation.

[X] Assess the Ibis.
>> No. 53113
[X] Ask if you might examine the battery before it gets picked up.
[X] If it's still there, examine the Y-pattern, or as Rinnosuke would call it, the 'Youmu'. You won't seriously work with the species for some time, if ever, but a quick look could prove interesting.
[x] Just go Outside and buy a battery. And some authentic muggle food.

We can make muggle money.
>> No. 53115
>>53113
You do realize Patchouli, until stated otherwise, has no money for doing it directly? And that the yakuzas are the only people she know that will accept jewels without causing trouble (non-wizard money anyway)? And that she would have to get changed to deal with anyone but yakuzas? So much trouble... Just go to the yakuzas directly after taking the portal out.

And Patchouli doesn't use the term muggle btw.
>> No. 53116
>>53115
True enough. Non-magical food, then. In my defense, the preference was stated as something along the lines of 'muggle food', so that's what I was thinking about when I wrote it.

You do have a point about the Yakuza, though. I don't really care either way, really.
>> No. 53131
Maybe gringotts has muggle money, it makes sense that wizards would need it sometimes and they are the only bank we know about,so its worth a shot.

also the term muggle is if nothing else a useful shorthand, and Patchy will be used to the term before long.

[X] Ask if you might examine the battery before it gets picked up.
[X] If it's still there, examine the Y-pattern, or as Rinnosuke would call it, the 'Youmu'. You won't seriously work with the species for some time, if ever, but a quick look could prove interesting.
[x] Just go Outside and buy a battery. And some authentic muggle food. Should muggle money be a problem, see if gringots has any to buy.
>> No. 53135
>>53131

It is a useful shorthand, but it's also an infantile nonsense word.

Outsiders works. Or mundanes or normals or sleepers or unaware or anything but that stupid stupid stupid word.
>> No. 53136
>>53135
It's just a word. Quell your rage. You sure don't sound like a HP fan.

Then again, I'm not sure if most people who are reading this are actually HP fans.
>> No. 53137
>>53136
I think most HP fans dropped the story when it became obvious that Patchy will never teach a single class at Hogwarts.
>> No. 53138
File 133728087858.jpg - (573.83KB, 1000x1379, Gotcha~.jpg) [iqdb]
53138
"If I may take a look at it?" You ask, thoughtfully.

A brief moment of concern crosses the shopkeeper's features before he sighs.

"You should probably come into the back to see it." He says, rising from his seat, and directing you through the doors. You glance to the side, to a section full of caged yukkuri, before focusing your attention where he's pointing. Crates, shelves, boxes, one particularly large metal one...

"Is it in that box?" You wonder, pointing at the only one that looks really 'technological'.

"It is the box." He explains, coming closer to it... you have doubts. You're given to understand that a battery is, or was, part of the workings to the engine of your vehicle, but this item is... it would easily take up as much room as the entire engine, actually. Massive. You could smuggle a body inside of that thing, if you hollowed the inside out. Possibly two.

Rinnosuke reaches into a small hole in the side and brings out a pair of cords, brow furrowed slightly.

"These... I'm given to understand, connect to something, and allow the electricity to flow like water through the tubes?" He says, seeming uncertain about the specifics. "In any case, it seems like it was a back-up power supply for an abandoned building, a food storage warehouse of some kind, that fell through recently, into the outskirts of the Forest. The forest started dismantling it and making it one with nature again shortly after that, and the Kappa were quite annoyed that someone else had gotten there first to clean out some of 'the good bits'."

He shrugs.

"They would have scavenged the ruin and secured any findings on their own, then?" You wonder.

"Oh, certainly, if they had gotten there first. And they would have fought to defend their 'claim' if someone else showed up to poke through while they were scavenging." He explains, putting the wires back into place. "But with it arriving practically on miss Nightbug's doorstep this time, they would have been hard pressed to get there before she was done even if they had been alerted to its arrival the moment it appeared. Still, even if they can't beat everyone else to collecting it for free, they'll agree to pay money for findings like this. And with this being the only item of real interest..."

"I see. And the Nightbug has an arrangement with you, about this sort of thing, then?" You wonder.

"Oh, no real arrangement. But if they find something that I might be able to sell, I'll happily take it off their hands and turn it over to people who want it. For more than what I paid, of course. It's not to say that I get much business, but I seem to take in a little more by being a neutral go-between for this sort of thing, since I don't do any of the scavenging myself. Grudges get held, and all of that... someone knocked someone on the head from behind, someone else broke a few ribs to get to the prize faster... It's difficult dealing with each other in those cases, where both sides are expecting that the other is just going to grab everything and run at the first opportunity." He says.

You nod thoughtfully. Well, you suppose there must be many different sorts of batteries. This may or may not be the kind that instructor was interested in, but you suppose the organized crime element may be able to... acquire something similar.

Or you could deal with the Kappa directly, or change money to actually purchase the item from a supplier, presuming they won't take gold.

Your eyes wander over to the Youmu-patterned blob, only one of the lot to seem vaguely smug about its captivity, obese as it is. Seems like it's being fed plenty of something or other. Now that you think of it, it looks like there are fewer others than Kirisame had related. Well, it's good to keep inventory down, if it's unlikely that all of something will be sold, and given that chocolate is less common of a thing than sweet bean paste.... the vulgar little thing has noted your attention and mockingly excreted some of the substance in your direction. You feel a moment of annoyance, and classify it in your mind as unsuitable to be allowed free reign, though potentially useful experimentation fodder. Possibly of the sort that people would call 'inhumane', presuming you had it bred first and you could be assured that it would not disturb more valuable specimens.

Your attention turns instead to a bottle on a shelf, with a dark reddish liquid inside and half of a label, depicting a jolly looking pirate and something about a 'Captain M-'. You take a closer look.

"My power has let me determine that to be a poison that promises joy, followed by pain." Rinnosuke warns, as you take the cap off and sniff. "I'd be careful with-"

"It's rum. A drink." You say, after matching the heady, spiced scent.

"... That does make sense." He muses thoughtfully. "I don't deal well with poison, though, so I kept in the back until I could make someone else test it."

He pauses for a moment, then frowns sternly at himself.

"Until I could pay someone else to test it. Warning them, first, that it was some kind of poison and I didn't know what, but probably not deadly." He says deliberately, both annoyed at having to limit himself in such a way, and annoyed that he had to do so, his first thought having been to trick someone into drinking it without warning and sitting back to watch what happened.

The perils of mixed heritage, you suppose. Neither side will quite be silenced.

"Heeeee-eeey~" A cheery voice comes from the front, and you quickly follow Rinnosuke back out, not realizing the bottle is still in your hand before you've left. You set it down and watch.

The newcomer isn't a Kappa, but another of the more minor, but humanoid, youkai. Though calling any humanoid youkai 'minor' is something of a contradiction, as a simple means of comparison against Oni and those such as Yakumo, it's suitable enough. The previous visitor is no longer reading, but sitting very still and carefully in her place, book held as it was before as she carefully watches the newcomer.

You believe it's that darkness youkai. Lumina...? No, though that would be a more apt name, regarding her power. Close, though..... Rumia.

She's emptying out a small satchel filled with things, including a small handgun, a metal wristwatch, a heavy, slightly garish ring, and someone's wallet. There are little smears of some liquid on some of the things. You can venture a guess as to the source.

"... Outsider fell through, and you found him first?" Rinnosuke ventures after a moment.

"Yuuuup~" Rumia says cheerily, then smiles a little wider. "He shot me in the head~" She says, with a conspiratorial tone. "... And then he got upset and rushed over, after dropping that. And I grabbed him~"

The shopkeeper's youkai heritage shines through once more, as where a human merchant would have at least cringed slightly to hear the fate of one of their own, and hesitated to place a price on the belongings of one so recently deceased that not even all the blood had dried on them, he doesn't even waste a moment after glancing over the goods, to name a sum.

".... Ehhh? Is that so... It doesn't sound like much." Rumia says, frowning. "I won't be able to buy many eel skewers for that..."

"It's not really worth that much." Rinnosuke says, a look on his face so very sincere that you can't help but think it insincere, somehow. "This ring, for example... it's not real gold. It's just plated on, and it's a cheap alloy beneath that looks about right. Shiny, but not really worth anything much."

The watch looks expensive, though. You note he's not bringing that up. And it seems there's a fair quantity of currency from outside stuffed in the wallet. It might not be particularly useful here, but he can't be unaware of the relative value of it Outside, or that he could exchange it for items from other, more fortunate, outsiders that might as yet be unaware of how much it's worth, or rather, not worth, inside of the boundary.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53139
[x] Give Rumia raw gold for everything. Or something she can use to buy her snacks.
-[x] Would she be willing to participate in your classes as an adversary for the more advanced students? She can't kill anyone, but will be rewarded nicely for her services.
>> No. 53141
>>53139
Why bother paying her for that stuff? It will annoy Rinnosuke for not much.

[x] Ask Rumia if she would she be willing to participate in your classes as an adversary for the more advanced students? She can't kill anyone, but will be rewarded nicely for her services.
-[x] The same deal extends to the others if they're interested.
[x] After she leaves, buy the money from Rinnosuke. Depending on the amount, you can buy a battery Outside yourself.
-[x] Certainly not as big however as you've seen however. A 'gift' (bribe really) much bigger than the others may annoy the others teachers.
-[x] Check for bloodstains. A shopkeeper noticing blood on money would not be a good thing.

Not as if we have money trouble really. So we may as well keep everyone on our good side.
>> No. 53142
>>53141
[x] Ask Rumia if you can see the contents of the wallet.
-[x] If it is a decent enough amount, outbid Rinnosuke, preferably with enough to pay for the eels.
--[x]Trade the rest of the stuff back to Rinnosuke after Rumia leaves to recoup some of your losses,noting the value of the watch.

> Ask Rumia if she would she be willing to participate in your classes as an adversary for the more advanced students? She can't kill anyone, but will be rewarded nicely for her services.

BAD IDEA, she's hardly the one to show restraint and if she got loose it would be trouble. At least Cirno won't try to kill people and we already rejected her on saftey. We can find some other low tier character if we find a pressing need to.
>> No. 53143
>>53142
>we already rejected her on safety

When did that happen?
>> No. 53144
I'm not quite sure outbidding Rinnosuke in his own shop is very tactful, especially since he already keeps his guard up when you're around.

[x]Don't interfere with Rumia and Rinnosuke's transaction.
[x]Ask Rumia if she'd like to participate in your classes, as an enemy. No killing, of course, but she will be compensated~
>> No. 53145
I should note that bringing Rumia in to class would be a fantastic idea if you want a stray shot to knock that ribbon off of her head.

[x]Butt out of Rumia and Rinnosuke's transaction.
[x]While you could always magic up some cash, it's easier to use stuff that's already on hand, and the shopkeeper can't have much use for Outside currency. Perhaps a deal of sorts can be arranged? You can make other stops while hunting down a decent battery, after all.
>> No. 53146
>>53141 here, retracting asking Rumia as opponent for students. Not because I fear for students and that, but because after thinking about it a bit, we should see first how good students are before getting more opponents for them.
>> No. 53147
>>53145
Her ribbon doing anything special isn't canon. Though we could always ask her~
>> No. 53149
[x] Don't get involved
[x]While you could always magic up some cash, it's easier to use stuff that's already on hand, and the shopkeeper can't have much use for Outside currency. Perhaps a deal of sorts can be arranged? You can make other stops while hunting down a decent battery, after all.
>> No. 53150
[x]Don't get involved.
[x]While you could always magic up some cash, it's easier to use stuff that's already on hand, and the shopkeeper can't have much use for Outside currency. Perhaps a deal of sorts can be arranged?
-[x] How about silencing that Youmu-blob in exchange for a useful amount of Outside cash? (Which may well wind up being any more he's collected to date, in addition to the wallet contents, as Patchy probably doesn't have a very good idea of current valuations or exchange rates, and would never lower herself to enchant something for the equivalent of pocket change...)

(Interestingly enough it's still barter, as the cash is just so much paper here...)
>> No. 53151
>>53143

I hardly think it matters, when she has just happily admitted to eating an outsider.
>> No. 53152
>>53151
Oh please, Yamame would do the same if Patchouli hadn't requested otherwise. In Rumia's case, it's just about paying a bit more attention to make sure she doesn't forget about not eating them.
>> No. 53153
Can't believe you people are arguing if you should bring a literally-5-seconds-ago-self-confirmed man-eater to a place filled with overconfident, woefully underpowered children. How on EARTH could this be a good idea?
>> No. 53154
>>53153
That's because nobody here really cares about those kids from the HPverse.

We only care for the Touhous after all.
>> No. 53155
>>53153

Barely a thread ago people were voting to rape, brutalise, terrorise, and devour souls of entire families, including noncombatants and children. Should we really be surprised?
>> No. 53156
>>53143
A few threads back, before the Remi/Koa block, when we were thinking about bringing fae as target practice.
>> No. 53157
>>53154
I (53153) was more concerned about how well we'd be holding up our end of the deal we made. If we didn't have at least some responsibility in protecting them, I'd be all to happy to invite Yuuka to replace Mrs Sprout and watch the fireworks from a safe distance (in fact, I kinda want to see Yuuka appear in this story, if only for the lulz of a scene where the kids walked into the classroom and found a figure behind a turned flowersol instead of their teacher). However, we did make a few promises for our employment, and Patchy seems the sort to keep her word, or at least not go out of her way to break it.

>>53155
I had been hoping that that was simply voters getting in-character. And that when they retook control of Patchy they would lose (or at least reduce) the whole dangerously irresponsible/violently insane thing.

>>53156
Bah, faeries respawn, and we have no responibility towards them.
>> No. 53158
>>53155

But that was Koakuma. Patchy is a different character. You can't vote as though they're the same person, it'd be totally out of character.
>> No. 53159
>>53158

IIRC, before Koa Quest we didn't have much inkling that Koakuma was too malicious: If anything, she seemed playful and happy with the occasional sex romp/soul devouring session on those who wouldn't be missed (aka rapists).

Then Anon votes to kill one family on the first contract for the sake of convenience and that sends things spiraling into RAPE and MURDER and MIND CONTROL RAPE AND MORE RAPE and FORCED BEASTIALITY and PEDO RAPE and... well, yeah. You get the picture. Oh yeah, and railroads everywhere, but that's a different gripe.

So yeah, out of character? I'll admit I enjoy Doll Quest and Patchy Quest (Patchurri and Remi Sidequests too) but between Koa Sidequest and City Quest, I'm beginning to question if Kahi even knows the meaning of that term, should the vote of Anon vote dictate it.

No, I can't get over how the MC of City Quest got turned from a relatively normal guy to a guy with beastiality, necrophilia and both at once somehow on the brain nearly 24/7. Yes, I mad. Honestly, with the amount of sex in it, Yukkuri and Zombie (and zombie yukkuri) Fucking: The Story City Quest belongs more in /at/ than it does /others/. I'd try to do a count of ratio of relatively recent story updates with sex in them to those without sex, but I'm far too lazy afraid of what I'd find.
>> No. 53160
>>53157
It wasn't the fairies we were worried about, Cirno could likely deep freeze an entire class at once and considering her frog survival rate that would be... bad.
>> No. 53162
>>53159
>Then Anon votes to kill one family on the first contract for the sake of convenience and that sends things spiraling into RAPE and MURDER and MIND CONTROL RAPE AND MORE RAPE and FORCED BEASTIALITY and PEDO RAPE and... well, yeah. You get the picture.

Technically, she acted just as a devil would, if given freedom. Maybe with a bit less gore than the normal. It's just that the anime industry has distorted the image of devils/demons and twisted into another form of moe, or toned them down so they could air the show on non restricted hours. Not completely a bad thing, but it's enough to make one forget that demons are evil.

However, I admit that it was quite a shock, with the rest of the story's atmosphere. It did last quite longer than it should, even though we voted for it.

>>53157
>I had been hoping that that was simply voters getting in-character. And that when they retook control of Patchy they would lose (or at least reduce) the whole dangerously irresponsible/violently insane thing.

Now, don't put the horses before the cart. It wasn't specified if Rumia would be used right on the first few classes. We could have her test the students after Patchouli taught them enough to fight back. I don't know how many classes that would take, but if Patchy does everything right, and the students study/learn properly, who's to say that a group of them wouldn't be able to defeat Rumia safely? Also remember that the class will be composed of an entire year of the four houses together.
>> No. 53163
Let's wait until we've at least seen the students before we go around recruiting more youkai enemies for them. We've already got those fairies, various golems and homunculi, Koakuma, and potentially those kedama from EoSD stage 4. Cirno's also living in the lake outside the mansion, and if we need a moderately strong enemy for them, she can either be the enemy or help us recruit an enemy.

[x] Don't interfere with Rumia and Rinnosuke's transaction.
[x] While you could probably magic up some cash, it's easier to use stuff that's already on hand, and the shopkeeper can't have much use for Outside currency. Perhaps a deal of sorts can be arranged?
-[x] How about silencing that Youmu-blob in exchange for a useful amount of Outside cash? (Which may well wind up being any more he's collected to date, in addition to the wallet contents, as Patchy probably doesn't have a very good idea of current valuations or exchange rates, and would never lower herself to enchant something for the equivalent of pocket change...)
-[x] If you finish within the update, head for the kappas before the outside.
[x] Consider those spinning things that helped defend your library in EoSD Stage 4. Do you control them? Might they be worthwhile to use as targets or enemies for your students, or perhaps as portal scouts?
>> No. 53164
File 133736294119.jpg - (533.33KB, 800x900, Five Second Rule it's still fine.jpg) [iqdb]
53164
You decide not to interfere, though. It's his shop, after all, and if he feels like offering unfair prices for goods, and she's incapable of getting fair ones, it's really her fault for incompetence, isn't it?

She does, to her credit, try to haggle a little, and manages to get slightly more out of him than was initially offered. Since she paid nothing for any of it, of course, it's all profit, and you guess it'll all go to... eel skewers or other food.

... Come to think of it, the youkai might be of some use. Not for the first set of children of course. Or the next few, even. However, intelligent opposition of her sort would be interesting to introduce to... perhaps the final set. Or the final two sets, depending.

Well, it all really comes down to how competent they show themselves to be on inspection, and how well they take to your lessons. Even so...

"Rumia. Are you capable of restraining your appetite, if need be?" You question.

If she doesn't have that much self restraint, then even Koakuma would be a better choice. Not that she has much self restraint either, when she isn't bogged down with uncertainty as to what she is and isn't allowed to do, by the contract. Which is, of course, one of the reasons you chose to go about it in such a fashion. If you only summon a specific devil once, for a brief and simple task, and then never have cause to call it again, you can afford to be sparing on the details of things. Provided you don't mind any mayhem and chaos that may ensue in the wake of your orders being carried out, and have your own safeguards in place against treachery. For more long term arrangements, it's better to have them uncertain, doubting, and eventually deciding not to take risks that might or might not violate some clause or article of the contract. Particularly if you insert a clause that allows you to change it at your discretion, adding or removing things as you please, and another that states you not only do not have to show her the contract itself after the initial, first binding, but that you aren't obligated to make it easy for her to figure out what is and isn't allowed.

... The youkai's head has tilted to the side.

"Eh?" She says.

"If there is a human before you, can you play with them and not eat them, or offer too much in the way of injury? I may have use for you, if so." You clarify.

Rumia makes a thoughtful, noncommital noise.

"... I've served mages before." She says, thoughtfully, jumping a little sideways in her thoughts and not actually answering your question.

"Really? When and where." You say anyway, actually a little interested in this. Details of others' magecraft are always good to collect, if an opportunity arises.

".... I don't remember." she admits after a moment of frowning thought. "Maybe last week? Maybe a hundred years ago? It was fun, but I don't think I got paid well."

"You would, of course, recieve suitable repayment for your time." You say, careful not to promise anything specific.

"Can it be eel skewers?" Rumia asks thoughtfully.

"That... Might be arranged." You say slowly. "Provided your efforts are suitable."

"Mystia makes good eel skewers." Rumia continues, mind still running solidly on the track it's started down. "... She uses sauces." She says, giving you a conspiratorial look, as though this is some great secret, not to be spoken of too loudly in large groups.

Of course she does, though. She wouldn't be able to sell many if she just plucked them out of the water and ran them through.

... You suspect that the youkai before you may have tried to replicate the other's culinary efforts by just plucking things out of the water and putting them on sticks.

"... In any case, shopkeeper, I would like to trade for outsider currency." You say, turning your attention away, for now, from Rumia, who's thoughts seem to be centered mainly on the mysteries of meat-glazes. "I understand that one, in the back, has proven troublesome. Perhaps I could place a mystic working on the cage to prevent its cries from troubling you outside of it?"

"If it's all the same, I'll probably end up killing it sooner or later anyway, it's just getting annoying to even look at by this point." He says, tugging bills out of the wallet before secreting it beneath the counter. You count denominations... it looks like it adds up to fifteen thousand yen, apparently? Skimming through your recollections of ventures outside, though, and prices paid, you're not sure that's quite as much as it sounds like, though you suppose it's a respectable enough sum to be carrying on your person.

There's a rattling at the door as another enters, and Rinnosuke sighs.

"Visitors do seem to come all at once, more or less." He muses. "Just need Marisa or Reimu now to round out the lot."

"If you're busy, don't mind me." Nitori says cheerily. "I'll just pick up that battery and be off."

"After paying." The shopkeeper says, giving her a hard look.

"Ah, you wound me..." She says theatrically.

She does not, however, deny that she might have just walked right back out the door with the item, and without leaving proper payment, if the opportunity had arisen, you note.

Rumia mutters something about not really liking wasabi often, but that it's okay from time to time, seeming to have forgotten, at least for the moment, that you had mentioned a possible work opportunity.

The youkai in the books shuffles a bit in her seat, seeming a little discomfited by the steady influx of people while she'd been trying to focus on reading.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53165
>>53155
>Barely a thread ago people were voting to rape, brutalise, terrorise, and devour souls of entire families, including noncombatants and children. Should we really be surprised?

The fuck?

I really wish somebody from the HPverse would just kill Koakuma right now in those kinds of votes are in-character for her.
>> No. 53167
[x] So Rinnosuke doesn't care about silencing the cage? Try to figure out what he would want, in exchange for outsider money, that you can provide quickly, and make a trade.
-[x] Incidentally, what types of things besides silencing stuff can we do with moon magic, especially on Monday?
[x] If you manage to make a satisfactory deal with Rinnosuke, try to catch up with Nitori.
-[x] Try to communicate the portal situation to her without being heard by any potentially hostile wild youkai.
--[x] If it would help, use moon magic to prevent eavesdropping. (Remember to tell her you're going to do so first.)
>> No. 53172
>>53162

My main point with that was how it all seemed to come out of nowhere, in conflict with what we were shown of her earlier (my moralfaggotry with said voted actions is a seperate issue). I mean, it's difficult to reconcile the Koa who has been mentioned to comedically truss herself up in hopes of baiting Patchy to the RIP AND TEAR AND RAPE one displayed in the sidequest. Just saying.

>>53165

They did manage it, several times. She just got resummoned back in several different eras. Diabolism is funny that way.
>> No. 53174
>>53172
Actually, it really was hinted at. Remember when we sent her for 'ingredients'? She pretty much targeted anyone to her liking.
>> No. 53175
[x] So Rinnosuke doesn't care about silencing the cage? Try to figure out what he would want, in exchange for outsider money, that you can provide quickly, and make a trade.
-[x] Incidentally, what types of things besides silencing stuff can we do with moon magic, especially on Monday?
[x] If you manage to make a satisfactory deal with Rinnosuke, try to catch up with Nitori.
-[x] Try to communicate the portal situation to her without being heard by any potentially hostile wild youkai.
--[x] If it would help, use moon magic to prevent eavesdropping. (Remember to tell her you're going to do so first.)
--[x] If she needs convincing to help out, mention that you can provide a reward for returning students unharmed.
---[x] Ask her how to find and talk to a wolf Tengu without initiating hostilities while you're at it.
>> No. 53178
>>53172
>They did manage it, several times. She just got resummoned back in several different eras. Diabolism is funny that way.
Well, fuck.
>> No. 53180
>>53172

I agree that the Koakuma Quest went into really disgusting places. To add to it, just by association, Patchouli went from "detached, amoral Magician" to "detached, amoral Magician, who lets Koakuma Quest happen". Which is different damn it.

On the other hand, I thought the surprise necrophilia in City Quest was hilarious. Which might be because Ancelin turned out to be an incredible asset - best thing to come out of that sidequest. Even if there is a lot of sexing going on that sometimes detracts from things, the Mansion and Hunt were both very good and the quality hasn't dropped on either quest.

>>53174

That was just aggressive and slutty. Not... DOOMGUY (post Repercussions). Anon voted her into that specific type of rape-monster. Seducer, corrupter, lawyer, predator - all viable archetypes for Succubi. Also, she was an insufferably smug bitch.

But I really like the plothooks that have been generated by this, so I'm not too put out. It was a morbidly interesting ride.
>> No. 53186
>>53180
Actually, Patchy wouldn't be the one who let Koaquest happen. That would be the guy with the fake beard, Miriam Stocker, the mystery summoner, that girl's father, and the unmentioned summoner. Koa was working for them, then.

[x] So Rinnosuke doesn't care about silencing the cage? Try to figure out what he would want, in exchange for outsider money, that you can provide quickly, and make a trade.
-[x] Incidentally, what types of things besides silencing stuff can we do with moon magic, especially on Monday?
[x] If you manage to make a satisfactory deal with Rinnosuke, try to catch up with Nitori.
-[x] Try to communicate the portal situation to her without being heard by any potentially hostile wild youkai.
--[x] If it would help, use moon magic to prevent eavesdropping. (Remember to tell her you're going to do so first.)
--[x] If she needs convincing to help out, mention that you can provide a reward for returning students unharmed.
---[x] Ask her how to find and talk to a wolf Tengu without initiating hostilities while you're at it.
>> No. 53190
Koakuma Quest did not happen under Patchy's purview. In fact, the contract Patchy has her under is specifically forbidding her from such acts. That said...

[x] Wrong kind of battery, and deibu Yomu isn't worth the bother. Time to hit the road.
>> No. 53191
>>53165

Really? I could swear Koa was targeting rapists and kidnappers then. I distinctly remember chloroform being involved, according to her recount.

>>53190

As much as I hated Koa Sidequest, this much is correct, at least. It's already happened long before Patchy got involved in Hogwarts, and even if occuring in the future, Patchy couldn't do anything about it because LOL PIME TARADOX.
>> No. 53192
>>53191
You forgot that AFTER that, she said she found a cute virgin boy, then Patchouli stopped her from saying more.
>> No. 53203
For future reference, while we're outside, we should pick up some more of the same type of wine that we got, for Marisa. Probably a 2 or 3 bottles, in case she alters a bottle so much it's useless for testing.
>> No. 53205
>>53191
>>53186

I don't accept that reasoning, but I don't know what kind of time model this is using, so I may be wrong.

I do accept that whilst bound to Patchouli, Koakuma is more-or-less defanged. If her destruction is non-trivial then that's as good as it gets. Just as long as we never have Patchouli let her run rampant.

[x] Hit the road.
>> No. 53209
>>53192

I thought that just meant she seduced him. Certainly nothing hinting at what she did in the sidequest.
>> No. 53211
>>53209
She had free reign and was alone so long as she collected enough 'material'. I think we're all better not knowing everything she did that day.
>> No. 53217
>>53211

But would we have felt that way before the events of Koa Sidequest? I believe what we would have imagined then would have been more along the lines of "bow chicka wow wow" than "RAPE AND TEAR".
>> No. 53238
There was a bit where Patchouli told...someone...that they were welcome to have sex with Koakuma, but that she was not responsible for eaten souls or other nasty side effects.

So we did know that she ate random people's souls. And that's pretty darn evil, if you ask me.
>> No. 53239
>>53238
Patchy is definitely a sociopath, or at least her sense of morality is very alien to us. There's never really been any doubt about that.
>> No. 53245
>>53239
>Patchy is a sociopath
And we're supposed to root for her?
>> No. 53246
>>53245
Sure. She's more the type who finds conventional morality alien than malevolent and that type makes a fine anti-hero, provided they don't cross too many lines in front of the audience.

Koakuma on the other hand, is pretty clearly a completely unsympathetic monster when left unrestrained at this point.
>> No. 53247
>>53246
I don't view Patchy as the good kind of anti-hero here.

I'll bring up Emiya Kiritsugu for the type of anti-hero that I can root for.
>> No. 53250
>>53245
Patchouli is a sociopath in human terms since her psyche does not operate under human morality. Simply using terms such as 'good' and 'evil' does not work since she does not use such values in her morals, and you will find that Patchouli is hardly the only one who falls under this. Just about all youkai operate under alien morality even if they are able to communicate with humans. So don't root for the Patchy because she's a hero or villain, follow the story simply because it is interesting to watch the interactions and repercussions a powerful, amoral magician has when in the HPverse. If that isn't what you are able to read, then this story was not written for you.

>>53246
You can't really call her an anti-hero since she does not operate even remotely heroic; such categorizations fall better under the likes of Marisa. A better term for her would be 'main character.'
>> No. 53251
Patchy isn't human. Stop judging her by your human morals.

You humans are all racists!
>> No. 53252
>>53251
I believe the term is speciest, but I do agree with you there.
>> No. 53253
>>53252
That would be Xenophobia, not whatever word you just made up there.
>> No. 53254
>>53253
Xenophobic is just a general term for fear of the unusual and/or the unknown. I think above poster was looking for a analogous term to "racist" that refers to prejudice against other species.
>> No. 53255
I think it's still racist.

Magician youkai are or are descended from humans who used magic to stop needing food, so they're probably interfertile with humans and therefore a subspecies of H. sapiens.
>> No. 53257
File 13376326277.jpg - (270.93KB, 680x1000, care to take a dip hehehehe~.jpg) [iqdb]
53257
"In that case, if you're unwilling to accept that offer, what small favor might you be interested in, in turn for the currency?" You wonder aloud.

"Well, it's not that I'm unwilling, it's just that it won't stop me from killing it later." He says, with a shrug. "Hands off, Nitori, I'll get to you in a moment." He snaps behind himself, and the Kappa cheerily raises both hands in a gesture of appeasement. 'See, nowhere near the goods', and all that. "For the moment... hm. Well, there's not really that much I need and can't trade for. Though, I do have a patch of leaky roof back in storage, that needs to be repaired before it rains again, or some goods might spoil." He muses.

"... Roof repair." You say flatly, feeling just a little insulted. "You can't do this on your own?"

"Oh, no, I could." He agrees. "But it would take me an afternoon to get up there, strip the roofing out, and put new in its place. If you could just knit the wood back together, where it leaks, that would only take a moment of your time, and it would be an afternoon's work I wouldn't have to do, later. And you'll be well compensated, of course." He says, fingering the stacks of bills meaningfully.

.... You sigh, after a moment, and follow him back to the right place, where he points out the leaks. If your estimation of currency values is correct, meager work though it might be, it's still very good pay for all of five minutes work. He hands over the bills complacently enough, following, and finishes up his chatter with the Kappa at the same time, roughly, accepting a pouch of money in exchange for the battery, which she heaves easily up over one shoulder as she sets out.

You follow her, casually, intending to speak with her.

Rather more annoyingly, though the other youkai in the shop seems relieved, Rumia has decided to follow you, floating idly behind. You suppose she has nothing better to do. You'd try to shoo her away, but aren't sure you could right after suggesting you might have work for her, and aside from that, simple youkai contrariness will lead to her sticking about no matter what you do, if you try to be rid of her, and if you try to run off, lead her a chase, simple predatory instinct will kick in and assure she follows, simply because you're running. You might or might not lose her, the day is cloudy so her clinging and enshrouding darkness isn't as thick as it would be in full sunlight. Bad timing. If you don't, then you would just have to drive her off by force, which could be annoying in its own right if you don't have to bother...

No help for it, your best bet seems to simply be to ignore her and, with luck, she will wander off on her own after spying an interesting butterfly or a woodcutter working alone. Or something.

Among other applications, you could in theory work a sort of darkness similar to Rumia's own with the proper application of the energies of the Moon. Especially today. But doing so against her... it's her area of specialty. She'd be able to take the darkness away from you and use it to her own ends effortlessly, without even thinking about it, as simple automatic reflex.

Where in many respects, Sun can be summed up as 'Fire, but more so, and with special properties[/i], Moon tends to be more... subtle in its workings.

"If we may talk... privately?" You say, carefully gathering a specifically very visible few wisps of energy about your hand.

"... Eh, sure, go ahead." Nitori says, nodding. You quickly extend a bit of Silence about the area, encompassing yourself and the Kappa. And not Rumia, very deliberately.

"Not selling this." Nitori says right away, as the sounds of the outdoors go into a sterile silence. "Not until I've torn it apart to have a look, anyway."

"I wouldn't dream of it." You say dryly. "I require a battery, but I don't believe that this one will suit my purposes. For one, far too large."

"Well, you got the coin, or you're willing to barter, I'll see if I can set you up with something." Nitori says. "But what are you after, then?"

"... I wish to alert you. Yakumo is playing games again." You say, dryly. "I am, unfortunately, involved in this latest endeavor. As it happens..."

You pause, and check to make sure that Rumia is still outside of the boundaries before you continue.

"... I am under contract to attend to the instruction of certain young magicians, outside the barrier. Through the course of my employment, Yakumo may... arrange for certain passages between here and there to open. It's not out of the question that troublesome matters might arise from things passing through. Low level, mindless youkai, going from here to there... or perhaps unwary students, coming here from there."

"Not exactly seeing how it's my problem." Nitori muses. "Keeping your magelings in line and all."

"... I might be able to arrange some recompense, provided students are unharmed." You say, grudgingly.

"Now that sounds better." She says with a grin. "Though... you know, for the most part, shouldn't be a problem if they're able to find a Kappa, anyway. Most of us're friendly." She smiles, and you can't help but find it almost too deliberately trustworthy for a moment, though it could perhaps simply be your paranoia talking. Then the smile flickers. "Though... some might be, eh... a bit friendlier than some are comfortable with. Depending."

"I am well aware from my own study." You say, a strained note in your voice.

"Just, uh... you might want to suggest that if someone suggests they might want a secluded bath, or a relaxing swim somewhere out of sight, they might want to think long and hard about whether or not they want to agree. You know. Turning it down politely is fine, but actually getting in the water after that kind of suggestion can be... uh, a sort of invitation. Wouldn't want any misunderstandings or anything." She says, awkwardly.

"I'll keep that in mind." You say, after a moment in which you are only barely capable of preventing yourself from considering the details of such a misunderstanding. Which could, indeed, be problematic.

"Public is fine. If there's a bunch of Kappa, or other people, there's no special meaning to it aside from cleaning up or having innocent fun, just..."

"In any case, is there some way of contacting... Tengu border patrol wolves without immediately entering hostilities."

"Eh, just doing something flashy should do it. You'll catch someone's eye with it for sure, and they'll come along to see what the fuss is about. Just... near the borders, but not in them, though. Inside the borders, it's less 'hey, look at this' and more 'I will punch every last one of you in the face'. Challenge and statement of intent, 'stead of knocking at the door to see who shows up, sort of thing." She explains.

"... I will keep that in mind as well." You say, dismissing the barrier of silence as you continue to float along the path. Nitori had not, after all, bothered to stop for something so simple as conversation, and you're already well towards the mountain and the forests and swamps about its base.

Oddly, it doesn't look like Rumia's at all put out at having been excluded from the conversation. She's floating on her back, staring idly up at the clouds above, through a thick haze of shadow.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53260
[x] You were the one who proposed a job to Rumia and left without waiting for an answer. See now if she agree or not to the conditions and pay.
-[x] Do precise it's not going to be now. You'll warn her in advance when you'll need her.
[x] Go near the borders of the Tengu and do something flashy to catch someone's attention. Explain the situation.
-[x] Don't forget to tell you need to go the the Moriya Shrine to also warn them of the game.
>> No. 53265
[x] You were the one who proposed a job to Rumia and left without waiting for an answer. See now if she agree or not to the conditions and pay.
-[x] Do precise it's not going to be now. You'll warn her in advance when you'll need her.
[x] Go near the borders of the Tengu and do something flashy to catch someone's attention. Explain the situation.
-[x] While you're here, tell them that you need to go the the Moriya Shrine to also warn them of THE GAME.
>> No. 53268
>>53265
Oh you.

Anyway, nothing wrong with the vote.

[x] You were the one who proposed a job to Rumia and left without waiting for an answer. See now if she agree or not to the conditions and pay.
-[x] Do precise it's not going to be now. You'll warn her in advance when you'll need her.
[x] Go near the borders of the Tengu and do something flashy to catch someone's attention. Explain the situation.
-[x] Don't forget to tell you need to go the the Moriya Shrine to also warn them of the game.
>> No. 53269
[x] You were the one who proposed a job to Rumia and left without waiting for an answer. See now if she agree or not to the conditions and pay.
-[x] Do specify that it's not going to be now. You'll warn her in advance when you'll need her.
[x] Go near the borders of the Tengu and do something flashy to catch someone's attention. Explain the situation.
-[x] Launch some magic into the air like a flare, but be a short distance away from the place you launch it from in case you also attract youkai you don't want to attract.
-[x] Don't forget to tell you need to go the the Moriya Shrine to also warn them of the game.
>> No. 53270
File 133771773076.jpg - (314.61KB, 546x640, Thems the Rules.jpg) [iqdb]
53270
Well, there's no point in putting it off longer.

"I never got an answer from you, did I?" You note. "As to whether you were capable of restraining yourself or not."

"... Hmm... They won't miss just a bite, though, right? Your little magicians." Rumia says thoughtfully.

You're given pause by the statement, and then frown darkly.

"I never mentioned mages." You say, sharply.

"... No?" Rumia asks, seeming startled.

"Not where you could hear, at least. Or, not where you should have been able to hear..." You say, judging the odds and whether it would be a good idea or not to make an unmistakeable point here and now, or if the assault might backfire somehow.

"No...? I didn't hear." Rumia agrees, still floating idly on her back. "Your shadow, though... heard everything. And it told mine. And mine told me~"

"You can... do that?" You say, dubiously and not at all convinced that the youkai before you has that degree of subtle experience with manipulating her power. Or that such a thing is feasible in the first place...

That's entirely beside the point.

"There would be no consumption." You say flatly. "No biting, no devouring, no nibbling, not at all. You will restrain yourself. I'm not considering introducing you as a way to thin the herd, but as opposition of an admittedly dangerous nature. I may not include you at all, depending on certain matters."

"Hmm-mmm... Is that how it is? Ah... I hope any one that falls through isn't scared of the dark..." She says thoughtfully.

You come to a halt, and outright glower at her.

"... Are you attempting to threaten or blackmail me?" You say slowly, allowing a very dangerous tone to slip into your voice.

It's monday. Day of the Moon. It celestial opposition, the Sun, would be slightly more difficult to call upon today, just as the moon is easier. But not by any means impossble. And used appropriately, it would be more than capable of making Rumia's day much worse indeed.

She seems as aware of this as you are, and hesitates before verbally tracing her steps back a bit.

"Noooo....?" She says, not quite managing to force the word to be a statement of fact. Her eyes seem to be focused very intently on your hand. When you check, you realize that's because you've semi-consciously started up a spell, in preparation to cast, and there are little wisps of flame dancing around it.

You dispense with those, and Rumia seems vaguely relieved by their disappearance.

"... In any case, I suppose we'll consider the matter up in the air for now, as is payment. To be negotiated as needed." You say, continuing on in silence, trying to work out the youkai's motivations. Aside from feeding herself, and amusement, at the least.

... you're near the mountain now. As you recall, tengu territory doesn't extend much beyond it, so right about here.

You send up a flare, a rocket of flame which explodes into brilliant colors, eye catching and blindingly obvious. Rumia's darkness grows thicker, with an annoyed sounding groan, as Nitori disappears in the distance.

As stated, though, it's not particularly long before that wolf tengu arrives. Promisingly, her blade remains sheathed, though she's still staring suspiciously at you and the ball of floating darkness.

"... So. Your business?" she says after a moment, seeming, like any good guard dog, to be simply awaiting the merest excuse to drive you off.

"You can leave any time, you know." you say, instead, frowning at Rumia.

"I could, yes." Rumia half agreed, without showing any inclination to do so.

"... Tch. In any case." you continue, returning your focus to the annoyed wolf. "I wished to alert you to the possibility that some... students of mine, for the duration of the near future, may manage to accidentally find their way here."

"And?"

"Rather than driving them away..."

"... You would prefer they were taken into protective custody, so that they might be ransomed back into your keeping." Momiji finishes for you.

"That isn't quite the arrangement I had in mind." You point out.

"Either way, I do not have the authority to make such arrangements." Momiji replies, with a shrug. "I will bring the request to my superiors. Perhaps it will reach Lord Tenma's ears, and negotiation might ensue."

She pauses.

"Or perhaps it may become entangled in legalese and red tape." she admits, turning her head a little. "In any case, unless they are particularly and foolishly insistent, we are not in the habit of doing more than reasonable harm, to discourage further attempts at forced entry."

"Naturally, the possibility that even minor injury may have unfortunate results later, outside of your territory..."

"... It is outside of our purview." She says, but she doesn't quite meet your eyes. "Those attempting to intrude, uninvited, into Tengu dominions could only have expected such results."

"Oooh, I remember here~" Rumia says cheerily. "I found a man with a broken leg, once..."

"That is none of my concern." Momiji says, sharply. "And such measures are only to be turned to after repeated attempts at forceful entry. Once reached, it is likely he would have forced us to escalate matters further still."

That sounds remarkably like justification to you. But it's really none of your concern either.

"As well, I require an audience with the Moriya shrine." You continue.

"Were you on a pilgrimage, this would be one matter." Momiji says, eying you thoughtfully. "However, I somehow doubt you plan a spiritual voyage of self-discovery, or that you intend to convert to the devout worship of the mountain gods. I will have a message relayed, and perhaps they will agree to meet with you elsewhere."

... All in all, it doesn't seem reasonable at all, but it's politics. You're uncertain whether simply attempting to blast your way through all resistance would have suitable results, however, and unexpected visitation has its own, already known, drawbacks....

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53271
Okay wow... Rumia has suitably impressed me.
>> No. 53273
[x] Annoying as it is, pissing off the Tengu would be a bad idea should a portal open at the mountain. Accept to have a message to meet be sent.
-[x] Ask if someone could meet you at Voile today for something they could find important.
-[x] Do make sure the message won't take that long to be relayed. Or just ask to warp a messenger golem directly to save time for everyone.
[x] Tell Rumia that unless she has something else to add now, you need to leave now.
[x] Return home and warn Meiling that you expect someone from Moriya.
>> No. 53274
[x] Annoying as it is, pissing off the Tengu would be a bad idea should a portal open at the mountain. Accept to have a message to meet be sent.
-[x] Ask if someone could meet you at Voile today for something they could find important.
-[x] Do make sure the message won't take that long to be relayed. Or just ask to warp a messenger golem directly to save time for everyone.
[x] Tell Rumia that you can extend the same offer as Nitori to her: a suitable reward for bringing students unharmed.
[x] Return home and warn Meiling that you expect someone from Moriya.
>> No. 53276
...Well, crap. Rumia was near the top of the list of "don't let know about the portals" youkai. But she seems to have simple and unpolitical desires, specifically, lots of food, and good food, so perhaps we can still turn the situation to our advantage.

[x] Incidentally, is there a region of the mountain above both Tengu and Shrine territory?
[x] Annoying as it is, pissing off the Tengu would be a bad idea should a portal open at the mountain. Accept to have a message to meet be sent.
-[x] Ask if someone could meet you at Voile today for something they could find important.
-[x] Do make sure the message won't take that long to be relayed. Or just offer to warp a messenger golem directly to save time for everyone.
[x] Return home and warn Meiling that you expect someone from Moriya.
-[x] Bring Rumia with you. We must negotiate with her as well.
[x] Incidentally, can Patchouli create food with magic? If so, how complicated of food? (E.g., simple food is probably a vague, edible slurry, while complicated food would be a fully recognizable steak complete with bones and blood vessels.)
>> No. 53277
Honestly, Rumia has become much more interesting to me. What kind of casual mastermind do we have here? I wonder what else she can do while still presumably underpowered.

[x] Annoying as it is, pissing off the Tengu would be a bad idea should a portal open at the mountain. Accept to have a message to meet be sent.
-[x] Ask if someone could meet you at Voile today for something they could find important.
-[x] Do make sure the message won't take that long to be relayed. Or just offer to warp a messenger golem directly to save time for everyone.
[x] Return home and warn Meiling that you expect someone from Moriya.
-[x] Bring Rumia with you. You must negotiate with her as well.
[x] Can Patchouli create food with magic? If so, how indistinguishable from fresh meat?
>> No. 53278
-[x] Bring Rumia with you. You must negotiate with her as well.
>> No. 53279
[x] Whatever you do, teleport to Kourindou when possible and talk with that youkai reading books.

Only now I noticed she's Tokiko. She might be a helpful assistant, a decent foe for the weaker classes, and might have some form of magical expertise (because books). From the impression I got from her timid behavior, she might be a better option than Koakuma, as long as it doesn't involve public speech or something. Stuff like helping to plan classes, mediate matters between students and Patchouli during times off school, take notes for her and carry out a few tasks...she probably has better self control too.
>> No. 53280
[x] You might want to look into improving umbral security at some point in the future. Even if Rumia cannot draw information from it as she claims, shadows still represent a significant magical link to their possessor.
[x] Annoying as it is, pissing off the Tengu would be a bad idea should a portal open at the mountain. Accept to have a message to meet be sent.
-[x] Inquire into whether you'll end up being contacted or you should check back after some length of time.
-[x] Do make sure the message won't take that long to be relayed. Or just offer to warp a messenger golem directly to save time for everyone.
[x] Return home and warn Meiling that you expect someone from Moriya.
-[x] Bring Rumia with you. We must negotiate with her as well.

>>53276

Judging by Patchy's ability to create tea, we could probably make some sort of tasteless food sculpture, but anything with taste would take way too long.
>> No. 53281
Is negotiate code for have Sakuya cook her delicious food?
>> No. 53284
>>53279

Yeah, I voted for it back at Kourindou for pretty much the same reasons.

Well, I guess I can do it again at this point:

[X] Youkai with them book-learnings? Why yes that does sound like exactly the sort of assistance I require.
>> No. 53285
>>53284
>>53279
Guys, sense of timing lacking? If we see her again at the shop, maybe. Right now, it's too late.
>> No. 53286
[x] You might want to look into improving umbral security at some point in the future. Even if Rumia cannot draw information from it as she claims, shadows still represent a significant magical link to their possessor.
[x] Annoying as it is, pissing off the Tengu would be a bad idea should a portal open at the mountain. Accept to have a message to meet be sent.
-[x] Inquire into whether you'll end up being contacted or you should check back after some length of time.
-[x] Do make sure the message won't take that long to be relayed. Or just offer to warp a messenger golem directly to save time for everyone.
[x] Return home and warn Meiling that you expect someone from Moriya.
-[x] Bring Rumia with you. We must negotiate with her as well.
>> No. 53287
>>53285

I don't see why not. Instead of returning to the mansion, we could just return to the shop and see if she is still there.
>> No. 53311
>>53287

Exactly - returning to the mansion will probably bring us back that way. A slight detour is meaningless with what we've already gone out of our way to do. "An idea that occurred to us while returning to the mansion."

And slim as it is, any travel we take in Gensokyo is far more likely to locate portals than many other measures.
>> No. 53316
File 133789255030.jpg - (464.64KB, 768x1024, something like this but different.jpg) [iqdb]
53316
"..... I suppose, then, that I'll leave that to you. Unless you would prefer that I send a message directly, through my own means?" You suggest.

"That won't be needed." Momiji replies, ears flicking and barely restrained from lying back against her skull.

"I see. Then, simply relay that I'll look forward to a meeting within Voile, sometime today, regarding a matter which may be of interest to them." You conclude, unwilling to force matters.

"Of course. If that is all?" She says, meaningfully.

The wolf doesn't leave the area, even after you nod and step away, until you're some distance clear of the borders of the mountain, after which she turns and makes her way up with speed.

You sigh and glance at Rumia.

Or would have, presuming that Rumia were still present in the point of space which she had previously occupied. Instead, so far as you can tell, she is quite simply gone. You weren't looking away for more than a moment, to watch the wolf's retreat...

... This is worrisome. Particularly since she knows about the portals, if she just wandered off after a tasty looking butterfly then she could end up telling anyone and... there are other concerns on your mind right now, though. You need to notify the gatekeeper of an arrival or arrivals to come. You need to meet with the representative, whichever they may be. This is a concern, yes, but...

Well, perhaps you can adapt a summoning ritual, tailor it to her specifically. You can't do that out here, though. You'll have to return to the library in any case.

Entirely aside from the point, food is some concern. Creating plant matter is difficult enough, even with one of your elements being 'wood', to create meat would be... far more difficult. And in the same breath, far easier. You've done it already, after all. It all depends, when it comes to that, on her opinion on the viability of consumption of homunculi.

You stop briefly by the gatekeeper before heading directly inside, at the mansion, and immediately start picking through your books. It's important that she not spread news about that you don't want getting about to every last man-hungry beast about....

"Whatcha doing?" A curious voice pipes, from just behind you.

Without hesitating, or even really thinking about it, you call down a searing pillar of the sun's fury. Only afterwards do you pause to consider that that was Rumia's voice, and that your instinctive reaction might not have been the wisest course of action.

In any case, there is nothing when you turn to look and the flame winks away. Either she was burned so severely that not even ash remained, which you somehow doubt, or she avoided the attack entirely. Which is an annoying possibility in and of itself, you might be losing your touch.

"Scaaaary..." her voice sounds again, and gains a touch of petulance and complaint. "That was close."

"You must understand, it is... unwise to startle magicians. Accidents happen." You explain, vaguely.

.... Inside your shadow, on the ground, a pair of red eyes open up, and Rumia seems to be frowning at you in annoyance.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53317
[x] How is she doing that shadow thing?

I like this Rumia.
>> No. 53318
[x] How is she doing that shadow thing?

Agreed, this is a really interesting take on her.
>> No. 53319
[x] Ask her if she accepts the offer, with the additional clause of not telling any others about anything relating to the job.
-[x] If she refuses, capture her to the best of your ability and prepare a spell that would make her forget this whole thing ever happened. With magic.
-[x] Seriously, Improve umbral security at next convenient time, if she can really extract info from your shadow, she can find out about your portal, and she's already sneaked in here once as her presence proves. This is unacceptable.

Most reasons in vote. If outside wizards can pull off a memory charm Patchy should be capable even if it isn't her specialty.(moon day probably helps)
>> No. 53320
[x] Ask her first if she accepts the offer for the job.
[x] For the less pleasant, offer the same deal as Nitori: you will give her a good reward for bringing students unharmed.
-[x] Negotiate a bit should she not be completely satisfied but should she ask for too much, inform her you are being generous with this, as there are others ways to ensure she will not be a problem.

Proposing a reward is killing two birds with one stone: Not only this will give her an incentive not to harm students, but she won't spread the word around since it would make getting a reward more difficult.

There's always a chance she'll talk about it without meaning to, but there's nothing to do about it.
>> No. 53321
>>53320
>there's nothing to do about it
Remember what we did to Marisa's hakkero? We could do that to her. If we wanted. I don't want to.
>> No. 53322
[x] Interesting.
[x] Ask her first if she accepts the offer for the job.
[x] For the less pleasant, offer the same deal as Nitori: you will give her a good reward for bringing students unharmed.
-[x] Negotiate a bit should she not be completely satisfied but should she ask for too much, inform her you are being generous with this, as there are others ways to ensure she will not be a problem.
[x] You might want to look into improving umbral security at some point in the future.
>> No. 53323
[x] Interesting.
[x] Ask her first if she accepts the offer for the job.
[x] For the less pleasant, offer the same deal as Nitori: you will give her a good reward for bringing students unharmed.
-[x] Negotiate a bit should she not be completely satisfied but should she ask for too much, inform her you are being generous with this, as there are others ways to ensure she will not be a problem.
[x] You might want to look into improving umbral security at some point in the future.
>> No. 53324
[x] Invite Rumia to lunch to talk. Preferably get lunch to be some kind of meat dish Rumia's never had before. With luck, this will make her more willing to accept your offers.
[x] Ask her first if she accepts the offer for the job, with the additional clause of keeping this business with the portals secret.
[x] At the same time, offer the same deal as Nitori: you will give her a good reward for bringing students unharmed.
-[x] Negotiate a bit should she not be satisfied. This is an offer you can't afford to let her refuse, but it might not be wise to attempt direct intimidation.
[x] You might want to look into improving umbral security at some point in the future.
>> No. 53327
>[x] Interesting.
How is that a vote? There's no action!
>> No. 53329
[x] "Get out of my shadow, R.U.M.I.A."

Don't just stand there, I said get out!
>> No. 53351
File 13383326167.jpg - (182.08KB, 620x877, I spy with my little eye.jpg) [iqdb]
53351
Well. The most important things first, you suppose.

"How are you doing that?" You ask, admitting a bit of curiosity.

"... Doing what?" Is the eloquent reply.

"Inhabiting the space where my shadow falls as though there were a hole where I know only flooring exists." You clarify. "That."

"... Oh? That thing. Dunno." She admits. "How do you do that... walking around thing?"

You begin to explain the admittedly slightly complex details of anatomical motion and coordinated manipulation required for upright locomotion, only to realize a bit in that a curiously blank and uncomprehending look has fallen over Rumia's face, and that you've probably gotten somewhat off track.

"... In any case, likely not important." You decide after a moment. "To the point, do you accept the offer of temporary employment? And do come out of there, I don't particularly enjoy having to peer down past my toes to look you in the eye." You grumble.

Rumia obligingly floats silently up out of your shadow, squinting for a moment at the candlelight but adjusting well enough. There's some... almost rippling effects as she passes through the space where the floor both is and should be but is not, and then once beyond it settles into normalcy. A curious effect, which may bear further study. Experimentation. Possibly, if no leads can be found through normal means and sufficient leverage can be located to properly apply, a thorough dissection to work out what can be discovered from however her body works, assuming that something as mundane as biology plays any real factor into the effect. Well compensated after, of course. And you may even ask permission first, if it comes to that.

Not while she's in your employ, however. There's codes of conduct to be observed towards servants, and all of that.

"As long as I get repaid, I'll do your dirty work~" She says, grin widening to reveal a mildly uncomfortable number of teeth.

"Very good, but I'll say now that it will be highly unlikely that any more clandestine instructions will be given." You say calmly.

At a similar vague look of uncertainty to before, you sigh and rephrase yourself.

"Work, such as it is, will probably stay 'clean'." You try.

"... But that's barely any fun at all." Rumia pouts for a moment.

"In any case." You say, interrupting the sulk. "If we could discuss payment?"

The pout shifts instantly to a flash of interest and undisguised hunger. You make a quick request, and call in one of the homunculi from storage. Mild facial deformation in this one, from the most recent batch. Enough to make him clearly noticeable in a crowd, though only enough to leave the assumption that he had lost a few bouts of fisticuffs that hadn't ended when he could no longer fight. At your direction, it raises a hand invitingly.

There's a meaty crunch as Rumia's teeth clamp down around it, and then pull away as she chews, leaving his hand absent much of multiple fingers. She seems initially pleased, but a slow frown crosses her face as she chews, then swallows.

"... It's not scared." She says, petulantly. "Or... angry, or worried, or... anything."

"If the response isn't sufficient, a course of action can be arranged for them to follow out..." You suggest, making a few quick arrangements.

Almost as if it was of its own volition, the homunculus sucks in a sudden and ragged breath, seeming to only just have become aware of the maimed state of its proffered hand, taking a stumbling step back as it clutches the bleeding appendage to its chest, eyes darting frantically about as though in search of an escape route.

"No. It's still not really feeling anything." Rumia continues to complain. "The meat is the same, but it's not right."

"I see? Is that the case." You say, mulling it over. Definitely more than just predatory instincts related to physical matters, then. Like some youkai, she's either sensitive to the emotional state of her prey, or she outright feeds upon the fear inspired by her predation, to some degree, either in conjunction with the simple flesh itself or entirely...

It's conjecture for another time, most likely. After researching preventative measures for unwanted intrusions, which is placed significantly higher on your to-do list merely out of habitual paranoia and wariness. You have not cause to think she might turn on you, after all. Not yet.

"Not a human. Not equal to a human, or half a human. Maybe less.." Rumia says, petulance shifting into speculation. Ah. Then now, things turn to bargaining, you see. It is not that the homunculus is completely unacceptable, simply that it is an inferior option.

Speaking of which, you dismiss your previous instruction and it returns to impassive patience, proffering its hand as the previous instruction dictated.

"In addition to tasks, should you locate one of my students-to-be within Gensokyo, then delivering them to me, unharmed, will be worth a reward."

"... 'Unarmed'?" Rumia replies, a thoughtful look in her eyes.

"Un-harmed. Not damaged in any way, whole of body, not so much as nibbled at." You snap.

You can almost see the wheels turning in her head, though. Deliver unharmed for a reward, but they were a reward of their own and easier claimed, and it wasn't as though you would know...

"I will know." You affirm. Rumia seems startled, then worried, as though she thought you were reading her mind when her thoughts were as clear as day on her face. "Believe me. I will know. And while retrieving them safely for me will bring a reward, deliberately bringing one to harm, or allowing harm to come to them when you could have interfered, will be... punished. Inventively."

She looks uncomfortable now. Unsettled and worried. Good. Negotiations can now properly begin, then.

It's obvious that the exchange rate for humans to homunculi, in the coin of prey, is not one to one. You believe you can likely do better than Rumia's own suggested two homunculi to a human, however.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53352
Two days til June. Still no closer to Hogwarts
>> No. 53353
[x] 3 to 2 homunculi to human ratio.
[x] You'll throw in some lamprey from Mystia.
[x] Consider devising your own sauces.
>> No. 53354
[x] Perhaps a humonculi and money to buy eels could satisfy her? Perhaps even some treats made by Sakuya to sweeten the deal.
-[x] In fact, if there's some on hand, this may just convince her to accept.
[x] Ponder how much time it would take to fly from Youkai Mountain to here. If Moriya do send someone and you're out, it would reflect poorly on you since you were the one to request a meeting.
>> No. 53357
[x] Rumia seems to like Mystia's cooked food. We can obtain and cooking and sauces the like of which Rumia's never seen. (Including stuff they eat in the outside world.)
-[x] Perhaps a demonstration is in order. Bring her to lunch with us when it's time for lunch. Or have Sakuya cook her something if it's still closer to breakfast-time, maybe.
-[x] Does she want to know how to cook? Training can be arranged, can it not?
[x] Maybe let Rumia scare the students as much as she likes if she keeps them alive. Exhort her to take their wands as a first step, though, so that accidents don't happen.
-[x] But try not to let them see her true form, if she can help it.
[x] There's also money. Does she need money?
[x] Also try to bargain down the homunculus-student ratio. 5:4 is better than 3:2 is better than 2:1.

If we have the students telling stories about how there are horrible wizard-eating shadow monsters living on the far side of portals, they're less likely to go into the portals deliberately than if they tell stories about how the other side of the portals is entirely occupied by nice-ish monsters that look like attractive young women. Plus Rumia gets in her fear factor, so everybody wins.
>> No. 53358
>>53357
If they see the teeth, red eyes and willingness to try to eat them (to scare them only) and aren't afraid, they're doomed whatever we do. Rumia will fight the way she likes anyway.

And we have Yamame to remind them to not judge books by their covers.
>> No. 53359
>>53358
Making it explicit that she is allowed to scare them lets us use it as a bargaining chip.

Saying to disarm them first isn't so much worrying that they won't be scared of Rumia as it is that they will be scared and will shoot something off at random and it will make Rumia go berserk on them, or otherwise cause problems. Something severe enough might even incapacitate her.
>> No. 53360
>>53359
Are you sure that scaring them won't just increase her apettite?
>> No. 53362
>>53360

There's a good chance it's mainly the fear that she's hungry for.
>Like some youkai, she's either sensitive to the emotional state of her prey, or she outright feeds upon the fear inspired by her predation, to some degree, either in conjunction with the simple flesh itself or entirely...
>> No. 53363
>>53362
>in conjunction with the simple flesh itself
>in conjunction

Yeah, I'd rather not take the chance.

[x] Offer one and a half homunculi per student, so Rumia doesn't misunderstand and think only two students can be exchanged.
-[x] Unless you could summon some weak spirits into them homunculi to feel fear?
>> No. 53377
[x] Rumia seems to like Mystia's cooked food. We can obtain cooking and sauces the like of which Rumia's never seen. (Including stuff they eat in the outside world.)
-[x] Perhaps a demonstration is in order.
--[x] Do you have some meat dish on hand that she hasn't seen before, or can you get one fairly quickly?
--[x] This may include using fire magic on the homunculus.

[x] Offer 1.2 homunculi per student, so Rumia doesn't misunderstand and think only two students can be exchanged. Cooked, raw, or whatever. Be willing to haggle up some, though.
-[x] Unless you could summon some weak spirits into them homunculi to feel fear?

[x] Consider Rumia's ability to delay gratification.
-[x] If it's near a human level, suggest that she could still stalk and scare the students as much as she wants, as long as she doesn't hurt them.

[x] What does Rumia use money for? Does she want payment in money as well?

[x] If anyone suggests another angle which we could negotiate on, count this as a vote for that as well.

Negotiations should cover many bases, after all.
>> No. 53378
[x] Rumia seems to like Mystia's cooked food. We can obtain cooking and sauces the like of which Rumia's never seen. (Including stuff they eat in the outside world.)
-[x] Perhaps a demonstration is in order.
--[x] Do you have some meat dish on hand that she hasn't seen before, or can you get one fairly quickly?
--[x] This may include using fire magic on the homunculus.
[x] Offer 1.2 homunculi per student, so Rumia doesn't misunderstand and think only two students can be exchanged. Cooked, raw, or whatever. Be willing to haggle up some, though.
-[x] Unless you could summon some weak spirits into them homunculi to feel fear?
[x] Consider Rumia's ability to delay gratification.
-[x] If it's near a human level, suggest that she could still stalk and scare the students as much as she wants, as long as she doesn't hurt them. Physically. If the poor fools break from just that tiny amount of torment, they're unworthy of your lessons after all.
[x] What does Rumia use money for? Does she want payment in money instead or as a replacement for part of the... requested bodycount?
[x] Negotiation vote
>> No. 53379
[x] Rumia seems to like Mystia's cooked food. We can obtain cooking and sauces the like of which Rumia's never seen. (Including stuff they eat in the outside world.)
-[x] Perhaps a demonstration is in order.
--[x] Do you have some meat dish on hand that she hasn't seen before, or can you get one fairly quickly?
--[x] This may include using fire magic on the homunculus.
[x] Offer 1.2 homunculi per student, so Rumia doesn't misunderstand and think only two students can be exchanged. Cooked, raw, or whatever. Be willing to haggle up some, though.
-[x] Unless you could summon some weak spirits into them homunculi to feel fear?
[x] Consider Rumia's ability to delay gratification.
-[x] If it's near a human level, suggest that she could still stalk and scare the students as much as she wants, as long as she doesn't hurt them. Physically. If the poor fools break from just that tiny amount of torment, they're unworthy of your lessons after all.
[x] What does Rumia use money for? Does she want payment in money instead or as a replacement for part of the... requested bodycount?
[x] Negotiation vote
>> No. 53380
File 133841522325.png - (818.16KB, 849x1201, sample_24a1b121e96f63a4b006e00a4f5aeb623d28a877.png) [iqdb]
53380
As the discussion progresses, it quickly becomes clear that Rumia is primarily food-oriented in her desires.

Homunculi serve as food in the stead of humans, money serves as an item to exchange for food, cooking as a means to which superior food might be acquired, though she doesn't apparently have much of any skill in that regard herself.

She does seem to prefer prepared dishes, however, and a quick snack arranged by Sakuya smooths a great many things over. You suppose, from this, that the emotional quality of the prey might instead of sustenance simply add spice, of sorts?

You will have to consider.

In any case, through the discussion, it seems that your offered homunculus has rather steadily disappeared. Astonishing to some degree, since you recall that Rumia had already taken a full 'meal' previously, and she had partaken of Sakuya's treats as well. If there is one thing the youkai does not lack, it seems to be capacity for meals.

"Then we are agreed?" You say, looking over your tea cup at her. "For every one returned, you will receive one and a half, and in exchange for service, as needed, you will be repaid with higher quality meals, as required, and a small stipend to purchase occasional... eel skewers, as I recall. Again: no physical harm is allowed, by any means. For culinary instruction, I would advise you discuss terms and conditions with Sakuya personally, if such matters interest you."

"Hrmm...." Rumia mumbles thoughtfully to herself. You note that there's a flash of green nearby, that shrine maiden peeking around the corner. Likely a good thing you have kept matters deliberately vague, as she's doubtless hearing every word of your conversation.

"... I guess that's the best it'll get..." she muses, morosely. "It's fine, though. Some of it sounds like fun~"

"I'm sure." You say dryly. "And is it a mark of the times, that shrine maidens now eavesdrop on the conversations of others?"

She jerks upright at the admonition, and then does her best to not appear sheepish as she makes her presence more properly known.

"Lady Kanako and Lady Suwako are currently attending to other matters, so... I've come to answer your request for a meeting? If I can ask, what were you discussing payment for, with...?"

"You aren't really required to be privy to the details of negotiations with other parties, are you?" You ask in turn, before Rumia can open her mouth and cheerfully chatter on about exactly how much a human life is now worth to her, in trade. She closes her jaw with a click, looking uncertain at your interruption.

"... That seems kinda... I don't know. Suspicious?" Sanae says thoughtfully, frowning a little.

Rumia very slowly sinks down into your shadow, staring warily out at the shrine maiden before closing her eyes, and to all intents and purposes disappearing, as the floor remains as it was.

Looks like she's keeping as far a distance as possible from a potentially-volatile shrine maiden, who's already uncertain about the situation. Not an unwise course of action, you suppose.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53382
[x] Inform Sanae of the situation and of who you already warned.
[x] Incidentally, she's from Outside... Perhaps you can ask her about batteries and what you can get with what you currently have?
[x] For how long is Rumia going to follow you like this? Either show her out or don't go near anything she might snatch to eat, like your yukkuris.
>> No. 53383
[x] Tell Sanae exactly how much a human life is worth to Rumia, in trade.
>> No. 53384
[x] Inform Sanae of the situation.
-[x] She is of course aware of the general fate of new arrivals, so you're made substitutes to ensure the student's safety should they land in an unfortunate place. She needn't worry, they have no soul and don't mind being eaten at all.
[x] While hopefully help will be offered out of the goodness of the shrine maiden's heart, be prepared to negotiate.
[x] Incidentally, she's from Outside... Perhaps you can ask her about batteries and what you can get with what you currently have?
[x] For how long is Rumia going to follow you like this? Either show her out or don't go near anything she might snatch to eat, like your yukkuris.
>> No. 53385
File 133842280891.jpg - (573.43KB, 717x1168, fb3e93fcc5bceb103f1bf62c761b1a5b.jpg) [iqdb]
53385
[x] Inform Sanae of the situation and of who you already warned.
[x] Incidentally, she's from Outside... Perhaps you can ask her about batteries and what you can get with what you currently have?
[x] For how long is Rumia going to follow you like this? Either show her out or don't go near anything she might snatch to eat, like your yukkuris.
[x] A green portal shows up and kidnaps Koa! Koa-Kwest in magical-Europe? ^_-
>> No. 53387
File 133842679642.jpg - (539.97KB, 1600x1200, 1267989105588.jpg) [iqdb]
53387
>>53385
>A green portal shows up and kidnaps Koa! Koa-Kwest in magical-Europe? ^_-
Go back to SB.
>> No. 53388
>>53385
So. Several things.

One: please try not to use emoticons here.

Two: it doesn't make sense to vote for random events.

Three: if you want a ZnT crossover badly enough to vote for it in an unrelated story, why not start it up yourself?

That's about it. Thanks for listening.
>> No. 53389
>>53387
>Go back to SB.

You're that one guy who keeps talking shit about SB aren't you? Drop your elitist crap, we've had these kind of idiots since way before SB even knew about THP.
>> No. 53390
>>53389
Just report him and move on.
>> No. 53391
>>53385
Oh boy, you're from that Summoning Familiar crossover thread in SB, aren't you?

Please don't come here. I hate that thread and I hate the people who post on it.
>> No. 53392
File 13384334437.png - (1.11MB, 675x954, 60a1e682de656d159d3fa7ca78f775bd.png) [iqdb]
53392
ara ara? I've been here for quite some time, just for Patchy Quest.

But seriously, the summon thread thing is a joke in response to Kahi's post in SB. Hence the emoticon. But will stop with the random vote.
>> No. 53393
>>53392
An unfunny joke that ran for too long in my humble opinion.
>> No. 53394
File 133843635816.jpg - (341.01KB, 1042x959, c8cc80744dfab1110cbbabcd4e9303ab.jpg) [iqdb]
53394
>>53393

Seriously? I make -1- vote as a joke with regards Kahi's post elsewhere is too long as opposed to the posts assorted annon made in reponse. Wow.
>> No. 53395
>>53394
>Ara ara
Don't do this either. Are you sure you've been here very long?

Also, nobody here actually knows what the hell Kahi's posted on other sites, so I'm not sure why you thought anybody except maybe Kahi would get it.

I will grant you that it's short, though.
>> No. 53396
Exactly what is so suspicious about the desire for confidentiality between business partners? Jumping to conclusions isn't good for your health, Sanae.
>> No. 53398
[x] Exactly what is so suspicious about the desire for confidentiality between business partners?
[x] What is a battery?
[x] Inform her of the situation.
>> No. 53399
>>53380
That picture is so goddamn cute AND related.
>> No. 53400
[x] Inform Sanae of the situation and of who you already warned.
-[x] If the Moriya could protect the students from both natural dangers and the Tengu until you are able to retrieve them, it would be ideal.
-[x] Maybe arrangements could be made for you to freely visit her shrine via teleport/portal instead of having to climb the Tengu's mountain on a religious pilgrimage? Maybe an empty room you could go to, to escape the Tengu's eyes.
[x] Incidentally, she's from Outside... Perhaps you can ask her about batteries and what you can get with what you currently have?

You meanies~ , let Rumia rest in Patchouli's shadow, it's another character to enrich Patchy's day.

I'm totally expecting Sanae to ask for something in return. Obviously.
>> No. 53401
>>53398
> What is a battery?
A miserable little pile of electrochemical cells!

[x] Inform Sanae of the situation and of who you already warned.
[x] Incidentally, she's from Outside... Perhaps you can ask her about batteries and what you can get with what you currently have?
>> No. 53402
File 133850587168.png - (149.30KB, 640x905, dishes need washing and bathtubs scrubbed~.png) [iqdb]
53402
"And what, exactly, is so suspicious about the desire for confidentiality regarding business negotiations and transactions?" You ask, a little curious about her reasoning.

"... What, are you kidding?" Is the reply. "A dangerous witch collaborating with an unknown Mystery Youkai? It smells like... a conspiracy!"

She doesn't seem to have quite decided whether she's disgruntled or delighted about it, however.

"That you don't want me to know about it, obviously... that just makes it even more suspicious. What are you plotting? Huh? Character assasinations, a political upheaval... are you planning a coup? No, there's no real overarching monarchy or dictatorship here, not much of a political system at all. A war? You're going to spark up a conflict!" She declares, finger pointing at you in eager accusation. "The Moriya shrine won't stand for your manipulations, you know. We will! Keep the peace!"

"... Sadly, I am afraid that life does not always follow the pattern of fiction novels. Unfortunately, I have no interest in involving myself in any sort of political intrigue, and I somehow doubt that other parties would be swayed so simply into upheaval.

"... No?" Sanae says, finger drooping a little in vague disappointment. "No Moriya Peacekeeper Brigade to fight in the name of Justice? But.... aww. I already thought up a speech and everything. And I could have made a costume. Magical*PeaceKeeper, Super Sanae... You don't suppose you could maybe think of some evil schemes for me to foil, and get back to me later?"

.... The shrine maiden is somehow aggravating to deal with. You might have actually preferred negotiations with Reimu.

"I will give the matter... all the due consideration it is worth." You say dryly, rather than deny it outright. "In the meantime, you yourself are familiar with the Outside. Exactly how many, ah, batteries would this sum purchase?"

Sanae stares at the stack of bills for a moment.

"Lots." Is the reply, after she shakes her head. "I mean... what kind of fiendish scheme could you need so many batteries for? Over-driving some fusion of arcane technology, to..."

"You would be better served in questioning the Kappa on such matters, I would think." You reply. "And I do not require many. In any case, on to actual business."

You steeple your fingers, as you speak.

"Yukari has devised a certain means to keep herself amused, which I have unfortunately become involved in."

And you can almost see her enthusiasm visibly rise from just that, excitement brewing. Like she's ready to make an assault on the youkai right away, and can hardly sit still through the rest of the explanations. If that was your intent, it would be excellent. As it isn't...

"There may, throughout the next approximate year, be instances where unexpected apertures between Gensokyo and the Outside will appear, and allow things to pass through from one side to the other." You explain. "Including, potentially, Youkai exiting Gensokyo and certain temporary students of mine finding themselves here. I have already informed other parties, including the Tengu, the village protector, Eientei, the Hakurei shrine, and others. Understanding the general fate of those who unexpectedly find themselves in Gensokyo, it is important that any foolish enough to find themselves here are immediately secured."

"Ah, yes! So, ensuring their safety." Sanae says thoughtfully. "So, these outsiders should be collected and... given to you, is it?"

"Yes. This would, of course, be the ideal situation. And surely, a shrine maiden such as yourself can find it within herself to care for those unfortunate souls?" You say, hinting that you'd prefer not to have to pay for this service.

"Oh, of course! But... I'm not really convinced of your good intentions." she says, nodding.

"... Pardon, what?" You say

"I mean, you want us to gather up apparently defenseless outsiders, and deliver them to you, just because you're asking? There's enough wrong with that, that... I mean, for one, it's no secret that this is the vampire mansion. Sure, they might be in danger out there, but bringing them here... isn't that sort of like just picking them up out of the fire and dropping them in a frying pan?"

"I think you have that comparison somewhat backwards."

"And if I do this... there's a lot of work running a shrine, you know? Who's going to tend to Kanako and Suwako if I go out, keep dealing with little daily rituals?"

She shakes her head.

"I mean, yes, I don't disagree. Saving lives is a noble cause. But asking me to just throw them back into danger like that... no, I don't think that's something I can do. Ah, I can't be a heroine of Justice if I do a thing like that, can I?"

"There is no danger. They would be my students, and I would be obligated to defend them through my employment. I would simply be returning them where they belong!"

"Never fear, lost children!" Sanae seems to be cheering to herself, raising an ecstatic fist. "Guardian of Justice, Super*Sanae will save you! You don't mind helping out a bit with chores around the shrine, slicing vegetables and sweeping, in exchange, right?"

"I don't approve of your blatant plans to steal my students and use them as household servants." You say, frowning darkly.

Sanae gives you a perfectly innocent and mildly bewildered look, like she can't imagine where you got that idea from.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53403
Could we please stop accusing one another from being from some other part of the internet over anything you don't approve of or disagree with? You're shitting up a writer's thread for pete's sake. Cut it out.

And sorry Kahi. You're entitled to tell people to knock it off as well. It's your thread, after all.
>> No. 53404
Oh God, Sanae's crazy.

[x] She's crazy and probably won't believe neither you or Remilia are interested in harming students if you're the one telling it. Get Marisa and see if she can knock some sense into her head.
-[x] Actually, chores would be a way to punish idiots going into the portals even when they'll be warned of the danger. You can approve of this part at least before getting Marisa.

Right, next update will probably only be centered in trying to solve this current headache. No point in adding more.
>> No. 53405
Reimu did say that she'd send any students through the shrine gate, right? All we need to do is get them there and then arrange for transport back to Britain in Japan.

It looks like logic won't get us anywhere, so the best course of action is likely to roll with the insanity. Sorta like they have to do with Haruhi, if you'll forgive the reference.

[x] If she considers your care unsafe, why not bring them someplace safe such as the Hakurei Shrine or Human Village?
[x] Additionally, if chores are an issue, you can make things to help with that. You understand she like moving metal things?
>> No. 53406
>>53403

/Thank you./
>> No. 53407
[x] If she considers your care unsafe, why not bring them someplace safe such as the Hakurei Shrine or Human Village?
[x] Additionally, if chores are an issue, you can make things to help with that. You understand she like moving metal things?
[X] If you're still not getting through to her, leave in a politely condescending manner.

I usually like eccentric Sanae, but something about this one rubs me the wrong way. Patchy's not exactly beating around the bush here.
>> No. 53408
[x] Offer to make her a cool golem. With a place for her to ride around on it, naturally.
>> No. 53409
[x] If she considers your care unsafe, how does she think the students will be sent back? You have your own gate to their School.
[x] Additionally, if chores are an issue, you can make things to help with that. You understand she like moving metal things?
-[x] If this offer is innefective. Well, faith is something that the two goddessess need, is it not? Then, if she agrees to bring the students to you, so you can return them home, you can wait a day or two before recovering the students so she can brain wash show them how cool the goddessess are and convert them to her faith.
--[x] And Sanae can watch you as you return the students to safety, with no harm done to them. But then, the shrine will need to rescue students that Tengu find, for this. The free time to indoctrinate the students in Moriya's religion applies to these students as well.
[x] Offer to make her a cool golem. With a place for her to ride around on it, naturally.
-[x] Or enchant her super hero costume. Or whtever else her juvenile mind desires for.

This Sanae is still immature~
>> No. 53410
>>53409
I'm not sure pointing out we have our own portal is a great idea. Questionning how she would send them back, yes. Showing her our portal? Bad idea.

Incidentally, I hope we did secure the box so it wouldn't get destroyed.
>> No. 53412
>>53409
I agree with >>53410 that revealing we have our own portal is not that smart, since she'll probably get some dumb idea about it. Additionally, I wouldn't write her off as a child, to be offered toys and amusement. A poorly offered bribe could push her further into an 'incorruptible hero' role and completely destroy any chance of listening to the 'villain'.

>>53405 here, please add:
[x] Don't offer to make her a 'cool' golem unless a natural place comes up for you to do so. Unfortunately, that chance is all too likely too appear.
[x] If Sanae seems to have seized on the idea of bringing your students to the shrine to help, they could stay at the shrine for a day or so, but much more would cause them both to miss schooling and make their friends and family worry about them. Is that heroism?
>> No. 53413
I can see Sanae will be a source of headaches in the future...

[x] Agree to her terms, if only to make her go away faster. If the students are stupid (or unlucky) enough to wander through a portal they have been warned about, a bit of manual labor should be considered a light punishment. Make sure you are notified immediately and they are returned safe within a reasonable time, however -- by the next dawn, Scotland time, say.
-[x] Under this agreement, however, if they come to harm while under her care she will naturally be willing to take responsibility.
--[x] Bonus points if you can get her to agree, on behalf of the Moria gods, to the equivalent of a diabolic (deific?) contract somehow beneficial to you, even if it's just enough of something to make sure they'll hold up their end of the above bargain.
[x] And thank her for the information about the batteries. No reason to be impolite, after all.
>> No. 53414
>>53413
As far as I can tell, Sanae's terms are something along the lines of "The students go to help at my place, possibly for a long period of time or forever, and when/if they do leave, they sure aren't going to you."

Therefore, I don't know if you can call you vote 'agreeing to her terms'. It does seem like a good course of action though, but one concern I have with it is that it does not address her distrust of our good intentions.
>> No. 53416
I wonder if it would be bad to turn Sanae's delusions back on her, by calling out Sanae as the one deceiving everyone of the true dark nature of the Moriya Shrine. After all, kidnapping children and forcing them to work, without returning them to their parents and to school is hardly what a Heroine of Justice would do. And that we should warn Keine and the villagers and then gather allies as the Heroine to counter Sanae's dark plans.
>> No. 53418
>>53414

Granted, though her side of conversation is somewhat... flighty. I'd originally interpreted her last declaration as being more disjoint from her earlier ones than it probably really is. You probably have a point.

In any event, it still works if we can steamroll her into an agreement to our liking, though that's somewhat less likely than I'd originally read it as being, especially if she remains willfully delusional.

So, Kali, kindly preface (or emphasize) >>53413 with:

[x] If we can get her to specify that they would be returned, and relatively quickly...
(then the rest of >>53413)


(Another alternative is just staging a raid later if we think she's snagged a few and not worry about it otherwise.)
>> No. 53420
How about we disregard Sanae and try to meet the goddesses themselves? Fuck the Tenu and their territorial shit, we can just teleport inside the shrine and see if the two are there.
>> No. 53421
>>53420
It's been noted that teleporting directly into the domain of another is seen as quite rude at best, so unless you're looking to pick a fight such an action is ill advised.
>> No. 53422
>>53421
Considering how Sanae has been? It would be somewhat justified.
>> No. 53424
I'm just getting the impression that she's teasing Patchouli here. But is also crazy.

Anyway, the best way to prove our credentials would be to take her to Hogwarts for a few hours - she's not exactly a threat and Marisa might be able to better persuade her (assuming friendship).

She seems rather bored - so briefly visiting an Outside world school of magic should play right to her anime-riddled heart.

[X] Offer to take her Outside to the place you will be teaching at.
----[X] Afterwards, press her to help a bit more on the Gensokyo side of things.
----[X] Maybe - only maybe - consider telling her that the Wizarding World has no proper divine representation. They have no need to turn to worship, but they're also idiots - so it might balance out.

[x] Offer to make her a cool golem. With a place for her to ride around on it, naturally.
>> No. 53425
[x]>>53424
This has potential to backfire, but is too good to pass. Also, I can't help but hear that song when you mentioned the golem... you know the one.
>> No. 53426
[x] If she considers your care unsafe, why not bring them someplace safe such as the Hakurei Shrine or Human Village?
[x] If she still wants to kidnap your students, is she willing to only have the students as guests for a short time, around a day? Any more than that would make their friends and family worry about them, as well as disrupt their schoolwork.
[x] Other than that, if chores are an issue, you can make things to help with that. You understand she likes moving metal things?
[x] Do try not to offer things willy-nilly and cause her to become suspicious.
>> No. 53429
File 133861569155.png - (3.06KB, 209x215, 3.png) [iqdb]
53429
>>53424
>----[X] Maybe - only maybe - consider telling her that the Wizarding World has no proper divine representation. They have no need to turn to worship, but they're also idiots - so it might balance out.

It's like I'm in SB again.
>> No. 53430
>>53429
Hey, did you miss >>53403? Stop that.
>> No. 53431
>>53430
Eh, I missed that actually.

Well, if the great and almighty mods told me to stop, then I will.
>> No. 53434
Honestly, this is the Sanae whose gone beyond common sense because This. Is. Gensokyo!

*punts a fairy into a dark well*

[x] smile and nod at the deranged miko and slap her. Physical impact may bring some common sense back into her.

If she doesn't seem to less deranged, slap her again. Until she LISTENS to what you say. Such as you being hired as an instructor for a school of Wizards and Witches, and that Yukari is up to her shenanigans again.
>> No. 53440
>>53434
>memes and asterisks
Please don't do that.

That said, you are also voting to physically assault someone who is both a representative of a powerful faction and also willing to begin a harebrained crusade against us for pretty much any reason she can get. I find that course of action unwise.
>> No. 53442
>>53434
No.

Your post shows a stunning lack of sense and basic manipulation.

Please Desist.
>> No. 53447
You mean like when its compared to previous votes/suggestions to let the miko keep the students prisoner and actively RAID/ASSAULT the shrine when they've got a number of students?
>> No. 53448
>>53447
Stupidity is a disease that needs to be weeded out.

Doing so builds character
>> No. 53449
>>53447
I never know the voters of this story are that stupid.
>> No. 53451
Just some food for thoughts... Is Cosette still alive at this time?
>> No. 53455
Cossette could be alive if she wasn't killed. She'd be old thou... being Lily's mom and all.
>> No. 53456
>>53429

I didn't really want to write an essay on the topic. But blah blah blah reasons blah didn't say everything blah blah prove me wrong. Blah.

Anyway - it isn't even a matter of the stupidity of any untrained population.

Assuming they're unaware of the divine or at least not unbearably smug about it, where are the downsides for them?

There are downsides for Patchouli - but the whole endeavor of attempting to convert the British Wizarding World smacks of amusement. Plus it's mostly benign and independent of our teaching.

Just wind up the Shrine Maiden and let her fly.
>> No. 53457
>>53456

>>downsides for Patchouli

And that is everything we need to ignore your idea.
>> No. 53458
>>53457

Do those downsides actually outweigh keeping Yukari amused?
>> No. 53459
>>53402
[x] Deadpan: "Scheming - openly, no less - to kidnap an untold number of poor, innocent, lost children? Making plans to press them into service and force them to worship your deities? And all the while denying them the chance to simply go home? My, miss Kochiya. Were I the ne'er-do-well type, I believe I would be in awe at the sheer villainy you demonstrate."
-[x] Counter-offer: Sanae will be allowed short-term, supervised trips to the Outside through the Portal thrice per term.
--[x] During those trips, she will participate in your lessons as an opponent for the students. Use as a subject for curses is also preferable; she can simply visit Hina for curse removal when she returns. Do not inform her of this part of the deal.
>> No. 53461
[x] If she considers your care unsafe, why not bring them someplace safe such as the Hakurei Shrine or Human Village?
[x] If she still wants to kidnap your students, is she willing to only have the students as guests for a short time, around a day? Any more than that would make their friends and family worry about them, as well as disrupt their schoolwork.
[x] Other than that, if chores are an issue, you can make things to help with that. You understand she likes moving metal things?
[x] Do try not to offer things willy-nilly and cause her to become suspicious.
[x] Don't offer to take this unpredictable person outside. Ideally, don't even let her know about your portal.

Sanae should not be brought outside.
>> No. 53462
[x] Deadpan: "Scheming - openly, no less - to kidnap an untold number of poor, innocent, lost children? Making plans to press them into service and force them to worship your deities? And all the while denying them the chance to simply go home? My, miss Kochiya. Were I the ne'er-do-well type, I believe I would be in awe at the sheer villainy you demonstrate."
-[x] If she does not consider your care safe she may send them to the village or back though the portal(if possible)however you will be caring for them regardless so such things are pointless.
-[x] If she does choose to keep them arrange for direct passage via magic to pick them up/rescue them from slavery.
-[x] If all else fails, arrange a direct meeting with the shrine gods, having Marisa deal with this annoyance if necessary.
>> No. 53463
File 133883455485.jpg - (926.78KB, 1024x688, Let me explain the plot of my anime to you~.jpg) [iqdb]
53463
You take a few, very long, moments to cool your temper and compose your thoughts as the Shrine Maiden affects pristine innocence before you. Then you continue the discussion.

"You consider my care... unsafe." You say, slowly and deliberately.

"Yep." Is her unhesitating, bright response. "... Or, well, not you in specific so much as 'here'. Vampire mansion and all." She amends. "It's more I don't think it's wise to let them walk into here even knowing it's kind of like sitting back and watching lambs amble into a slaughterhouse. You know? You're just... kind of here, and not the real worry."

... You take a further moment to salve your bruised ego at not being considered a real thread, despite that you aren't, and consider. All else removed from the equation, vampires are, in point of fact, a valid enough threat to make her argument theoretically somewhat viable. She seems to shift between lucidity and putting the conversation on hold to entertain her vague whimsies, however. Not even entirely from a belief that this is how things will be, but more... that she is in what could be considered a fantasy land, and is even now desperately hoping that things will conform to her more cherished fantasy stereotypes?

Childish, to a large degree, but then she's hardly more than a child, after all. But you have a little experience with dealing with those whose maturity is in doubt. Likely less than would most likely prove significantly useful in this instance, but at the same time, more than you would have preferred.

"If the matter is safety, then by all means, move them instead to a place you can be assured that they will not come to harm, such as the Hakurei Shrine, or the human village." You suggest.

"I don't really see how Reimu's shrine is preferable to ours..." Sanae hedges. "... Besides, it's not like she needs help with her chores anyway, really. It's always spotless when I'm over there."

.... You can't help it, and find yourself passing along an item of long-held and amused, partially inebriated rumor that you heard somewhere.

"Some insist that she very politely requests that the trees not drop their leaves on her walkways, and that the wind blow them off the mountain and elsewhere, so she doesn't have to sweep them up."

"Really?" is Sanae's reply, seeming astonished and mildly awed at the suggested level of humbly divine grace, appropriate to a shrine maiden.

It is not, however, the case. You believe that what she very politely requests is that the oni get up out of her drunken stupor and help out with chores, with hints that the sake gourd might find itself confiscated if she doesn't comply. You don't believe that the oni is quite convinced that Reimu can actually manage that confiscation, but it seems that she isn't sure she really wants to discover this for a certainty either. And so the chores get done quite efficiently, particularly with other arrangements in place. Mostly summing up to 'damage anything, and you will repair it, or regret, sorely, not doing so.

It's somehow easier to pass along the rumor, however, rather than explain the truth of things.

"In any case, I would much prefer that you deliver them to either of those locations." You say calmly, then continue before she has the chance to object. "If the matter is primarily that assistance is required to keep everything in order... matters can be arranged there as well. I understand you have some fondness for metal constructs, somewhat self propelled?"

".... Eh..." She says, suddenly looking a little downtrodden. "I talked to a couple kappa about it before. They suggested making robots, sweepers and mecha-maidens, to fill the shrine with, and I was all for it, but... well, Lady Suwako didn't exactly approve of the proposed radical shift. Lady Kanako thought it was a kind of good idea, and since she's working on shifting to that sort of thing already... but she thought it was too fast too." She says, looking a little annoyed before brushing it away. "For now, it has to still be flesh and blood people doing all the little rituals, or people will be unnerved, I guess."

She very much gives the unspoken impression that she can't imagine why this would be, but it only takes you a moment to contemplate one of your iron golems, broom in hand, clanking about a shrine and cracking stone beneath its ponderous feet as it sweeps the paths, or at the least, moves the proper end of the broom along the ground, before you're forced to admit that this might not be the most comforting and expected sight for a pilgrim, having made their way up the mountain.

Well, there's still room enough to play to her preferences.

"I could, perhaps, construct a rather larger golem to assist with searches, as it is in my own vested interest that any students which find their way here be located swiftly and immediately secured." You say, a bit of a hint to your voice. "It would be just as simple to fashion such a thing according to any specifications you might care to give as it would be to design one from the ground up. Simpler, as it were."

You can see her resolve wavering, ecstatic interest shining in her eyes as you don't so much 'press' one of her buttons as you 'solidly thump it with a heavy hammer'.

Then she frowns.

"... Are you trying to bribe me?" She says, voice displeased but uncertain.

"Not at all." You deny. "Merely offering what assistance I can, in this regard, as it is to both of our benefits...."

She doesn't look convinced, and you again long for simpler negotiations with that other shrine maiden. There's a soft groan from nearby, and you glance aside to see that Marisa has wandered over and is rubbing at her temples.

"You have'ta talk to her?" She says, seeming a little aggrieved.

"Is there a problem?" You ask.

"She's crazy." Is the immediate response. After a somewhat insulted seeming, and heartfelt, denial of such, Marisa mutters to herself and amends her words. "Not the dangerous, 'stab you in your sleep' sort of crazy, but... the old lady down the street with thirty seven cats, who smells of catnip all the time, and insists on talking to them with everyone that can't get away fast enough sort of crazy. Or the guy who gets emotionally invested in his collection of spoons. Only instead, it's these weird outsider moving picture shows, and games."

"There's nothing wrong with that!" Sanae insists hotly, and continues on for a minute or two as she lauds the specific joys of particular series and novels, and doesn't seem to quite grasp that Marisa is almost completely tuning her out.

Well, that is a little strange. Though understandable, to some degree. It would be more so, even perfectly reasonable, if it were physical books, or magic, of course, but...

"Anyway, you don't really need to bother with negotiating~" Marisa says, interrupting Sanae's rather incomprehensible explanation of 'Routes' and 'Locks'. She flicks her hand, and suddenly her miniature Hakkero is spinning on one finger, and a quick motion leaves it grasped firmly in a palm. "I mean, you want something one way, she wants it another, right? Seems that there's already a means of settling this sort of dispute~"

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53464
[x] Well, it's not like negotiations were going somewhere anyway.
-[x] Marisa seems to want to let out some steam, if she already took out her Hakkero. Let her take care of it unless she minds and make sure your books survive the collateral damage.

No sense posting more until the result is certain.
>> No. 53465
[x] Attempt to continue with negotiations. You did seem to be making progress.
-[x] Students could help out at the shrine for a short time, as long as they are returned very soon so their schooling is not disrupted and their friends are not worried by their absence.
-[x] Perhaps your knowledge of the written word may be of use in convincing her you're not trying to bribe her?
[x] If negotiations fail, go with Marisa's suggestion.
>> No. 53466
>Let me explain the plot of my anime to you~.jpg
I can't stop laughing. I love your Sanae.

[x] Perhaps the children would enjoy an exhibition of mundane entertainment? Sanae could get them hooked while they're young.

Anime club at Hogwarts. Yes.
>> No. 53467
>>53465
I don't see how the second suggestion is supposed to convince her. And the first can always be used to soothe a bruised ego after Marisa is done with her.
>> No. 53468
>>53466
That's still just as stupid as it was last time. I suspect you are voting as you are because you want to see more Sanae. I want to see more too, but that's really not the smartest way to go about it.

>>53467
Man, if things get to the point where a fight is required, fuck soothing. She's delivering any students she finds straight to the Hakurei Shrine, and she doesn't get her student-searching robot.

Also what is meant by the second suggestion is that perhaps we know enough of fiction to anticipate her arguments, or know of a cliche that applies or something. Sanae does like weird Outsider stuff instead of The Written Word, so there's not likely an overlap, though.
>> No. 53469
>>53468
I usually skip over voting discussion so I didn't realize anyone else had suggested it.

If you have a better way to get Sanae friends who share her interests, I'd love to hear it. But I suspect you don't care about her wishes.
>> No. 53474
>>53469
>If you have a better way to get Sanae friends who share her interests, I'd love to hear it. But I suspect you don't care about her wishes.

...That's kind of the problem here. It's stupid because do you honestly think Patchouli care about that? Seriously? And we are supposed to vote from her POV.

And frankly, I do agree that it's also a dumb vote by itself. Sanae basically ignores what you say in favor of what she believes. Why the hell should we try to do something nice for her? Hence why I voted to just let Marisa blast her and be done with it.
>> No. 53475
[x] Well, it's not like negotiations were going somewhere anyway.
-[x] Marisa seems to want to let out some steam, if she already took out her Hakkero. Let her take care of it unless she minds and make sure your books survive the collateral damage.

Time to fight
>> No. 53478
>>53474
Thank you for reminding me of why I usually don't vote.

>And we are supposed to vote from her POV.
I don't see why.
[x] Sanae: Show everyone why you're a playable character.
>> No. 53479
>>53478
You usually don't vote because people have opinions? It's not like he's being a colossal jackass, that really is a stupid vote. Also good luck with that whole 'voting as Sanae' thing. Let me know how that turns out.

If you're serious when you say you don't see why, it's because the name of the story is Patchy Quest, it's told from the viewpoint of Patchouli, and Patchouli has already refused to do stuff that was voted on since she wouldn't do it.

>>53464
>>53475
Can't we at least try one more time to solve things peacefully? We can definitely win, especially with Marisa, but I don't think the hit in reputation is worth it unless we have no other option.

[x] Attempt to continue with negotiations. You did seem to be making progress.
-[x] Students could help out at the shrine for a short time, as long as they are returned very soon so their schooling is not disrupted and their friends are not worried by their absence.
-[x] Perhaps your knowledge of the written word may be of use ... somehow?
[x] If negotiations fail, go with Marisa's suggestion.
-[x] Preferably away from the books and anything else breakable.
>> No. 53480
[x] Attempt to continue with negotiations. You did seem to be making progress.
-[x]If she's in need of an extra hand or two around the place, and the goddesses require such help to be of flesh and blood, you do have a number of Homunculi you can spare. Likely not what those two had in mind, but they'll fit the requirements.
-[x]If need be, you can also assist her in acquiring certain outside goods on your travels.
>> No. 53481
>>Can't we at least try one more time to solve things peacefully?

What kind of question is that? This is Gensokyo. Violence is the answer for every problem, and it is the kind of answer that is best used early and often.
>> No. 53482
[x] Well, it's not like negotiations were going somewhere anyway.
-[x] Marisa seems to want to let out some steam, if she already took out her Hakkero. Let her take care of it unless she minds and make sure your books survive the collateral damage.


Poor Sanae.
>> No. 53483
>>53481
But this is also a crossover with HP. You can't just view everything from the Touhou side.
>> No. 53484
>>53483
>But this is also a crossover with HP. You can't just view everything from the Touhou side.

Yeah, but right now the current scene takes place in Gensokyo, with Touhous dealing with other Touhous. No HP character/etc in it.
>> No. 53485
Even in Touhou, blind aggression is not a good idea (see: first Lunar War)

[x] Attempt to continue with negotiations. You did seem to be making progress.
-[x] If she's in need of an extra hand or two around the place, and the goddesses require such help to be of flesh and blood, you do have a number of Homunculi you can spare. Likely not what those two had in mind, but they'll fit the requirements.
-[x] Perhaps your knowledge of written fiction may be of use ... somehow?
[x] If negotiations fail, go with Marisa's suggestion.
-[x] Preferably away from the books and anything else breakable.
>> No. 53486
[x] Well, it's not like negotiations were going anywhere anyway.
-[x] Marisa seems to want to let out some steam, if she already took out her Hakkero. Let her take care of it and just make sure your books survive the collateral damage.
>> No. 53487
>>53485
>first Lunar War

inb4 Yukarifags saying that it was all in her plan all along.
>> No. 53488
>>53487
Well, if it wasn't her plan, the invasion was obviously trounced, and if it was, i believe the current theory about what her plan would have been is that it was something along the lines of "teach the youkai not to attack everything", so either way it comes to the same thing, if you ask me.
>> No. 53490
[x] Attempt to continue with negotiations. You did seem to be making progress.
-[x] Students could help out at the shrine for a short time, as long as they are returned very soon so their schooling is not disrupted and their friends are not worried by their absence.
-[x] If she's in need of an extra hand or two around the place, and the goddesses require such help to be of flesh and blood, you do have a number of Homunculi you can spare. While they aren't robots, they also won't mind being dressed up in various outfits.
[x] If negotiations fail, go with Marisa's suggestion.
-[x] Preferably away from the books and anything else breakable.
>> No. 53493
>>53487
Yeah, except its a common theory and is very possible, if not more probable than her failing the invasion just because.

yukari haters gonna hate
>> No. 53494
[x] Well, it's not like negotiations were going somewhere anyway.
-[x] Marisa seems to want to let out some steam, if she already took out her Hakkero. Let her take care of it unless she minds and make sure your books survive the collateral damage.
>> No. 53496
>>53493
Why is it more plausible?

Also, "common" doesn't necessarily mean "true".
>> No. 53497
[x] Well, it's not like negotiations were going somewhere anyway.
-[x] Terms of the duel:
-If Sanae wins. All people who end up here will be put in her care.
-If Marisa wins, all people who end up here will be put in Reimu's care.

Thank god for Gensokyo, danmaku duels and Marisa's gung-ho attitude. This was getting annoying.
>> No. 53500
>>53497
Why in Reimu's care? She'll send them back out to Japan, no? Keine would be far better since she would bring them to us. Hell, why not to us directly, once she's ready to listen to us properly and we explain Remilia already promised to not touch them?
>> No. 53501
>>53500
If you don't like it, you can make a different vote, y'know? I'll move to yours if I find it better.
>> No. 53502
>>53501
I already voted, that's why (>>53464). It's just that I wonder why you would move them to Reimu when you could just ask for a place more convenient fo the reasons I explained in >>53500.
>> No. 53503
Called, narrowly, for D-d-dueling spellcards.
>> No. 53504
File 133891879962.jpg - (939.52KB, 850x1004, Time for a Smiting.jpg) [iqdb]
53504
You weigh the options carefully. It's actually a difficult decision. You could, you believe, manage to force this whole scenario into an entirely rational discussion and proper negotiation. You seem to be getting closer to that, at least. And no violence at all needs to be perpetrated.

But on the other hand, you aren't really at all averse to violence. And you have a volunteer to perpetrate it for you.

"... Fine. Marisa, take up the discussion for the moment." You decide, nodding. "Outside, if you would."

Marisa's grin is blinding in its intensity, and though Sanae looks outwardly annoyed, there's a sense of subtle eagerness for this outcome on her part as well. The books are very well warded, though there's no reason to risk things. The witch collects here broom quickly.

... You're fairly sure she can fly without it, but she seems to put a great stock in the appearances of the things. You decline to watch the actual duel proceed, only listening with half an ear to the outside noise of blinding light and strobing patterns and you rummage through your things, considering the matters to attend to today, and idly noting each card as it is used. At one point, as Rachel arrives, you find yourself forced to stamp your heel down on a hand that has begun to too-casually stretch out of your shadow.

Nothing unfamiliar, of course, from Marisa's part. You've been keeping her relatively busy, so it isn't as though she's had the time to make up something new, or properly appropriate someone else's work. And the shrine maiden doesn't seem to...

"[Divine Wrath]: Seeking the Virtuous."

... This is a new card. You don't know what this one does, it looks like the shrine maiden has been practicing and experimenting with new things. There's an immediate cry out from the yard, as you move to listen closer, paying more attention. 'Fifty'. If there was a window here... no, that's foolish, you don't need a window. You can instantly step through a portal to the roof or a terrace, and you do so.

Remilia is waiting, watching the display with interest as she sips at a goblet of something red. There's another cry from the shrine maiden, as a few of her floating bullets disappear. 'Forty Five'.

"I see you are discussing matters with the Moriya." She notes, smile widening a little as Marisa draws the Hakkero and launches her own familiar Spark, engulfing the entire area Sanae occupies with brilliant light. "Of course... this is a personal matter, between yourself and their parties. Do not expect, interesting to watch as it may be, that I will get involved if they do not deliberately bring battle against me."

"I would not expect such a thing." You note, watching as the spark begins to dim. You yourself would not have gotten involved with Remi's little matter of mists, before, were it not for the fact that certain parties paths had taken them directly through your library.

.... Oh. Blast. Mildly singed as her sleeves might be, before she lowers her arms from a defensive position, hastily erected shield smashed through, bullets in most cases dispersed as they are, the shrine maiden is still standing strong and is smiling triumphantly. And for just a moment, as the spark flickers out, before another attack can be prepared, Marisa is vulnerable.

"Ten!" Sanae howls, and the remainder of her pattern erupts into activity, swelling in size and erupting into flame. Ten magnificent, enormous fireballs, suddenly homing in on the opposition with incredible speed.

There are quite a few explosions, upon impact, and you are nearly forced to close your eyes from the intensity of it all. And then they fade, and a witch drops out of the bottom, somewhat limp and trailing clouds of black smoke in her wake.

Sanae catches her, of course. It's not good practice, or at all polite, to simply allow the loser of a duel to slam into the ground, if their wits are scrambled enough by the defeat, or its manner, that they forget for a moment to fly.

The witch is already coherent and mobile again after only a few breaths as you approach, though she seems annoyed and morose, in the face of Sanae's bright enthusiasm and wide grin.

".... I got over-excited." The witch mumbles, patting the small fires on her clothing out, seeming dreadfully embarrassed and annoyed about her loss. "I went too fast... and fired off my spark before I should have."

It is, in point of fact, vaguely infuriating. You suppose this is what happens when you leave others to do your work for you, acting on your behalf.

You now have two options. You can accept the loss as gracefully as you can manage, hearing demands and granting concessions to the victor, or... you could extend the duel, acting on your own behalf. There is just enough leeway in the less than formal rules to allow this, and Marisa has now worn her down.

Somewhat, at least. In theory. It looks like she's almost hoping you choose to extend the battle, though, almost bouncing in place like an eager puppy, ready for more. She doesn't look particularly worn down, which is somewhat worrisome. At the very least, however, having the witch test the waters has revealed the shrine maiden's new spell card for you, so it won't be a surprise if you choose to fight.

... Assuming, naturally, that this was the only new spell she had been working on, that you hadn't seen before.

---

[ ] What do you do?
>> No. 53505
[x] Extend.

We've made our bed. Now blast it to pieces.
>> No. 53509
[x] Extend if two losses won't mean you have to make more concessions.
>> No. 53513
[x] Extend.
-[x] If there's any card you have that Sanae doesn't know about, you can also use surprise to your advantage.
-[x] Rumia may want to get out of your shadow for this. Just make sure someone keeps an eye on her.

Dammit Marisa.

Also, this will probably have our health take a hit. Chances are that we'll have to buy the batteries early morning in Japan tomorrow before the meeting if we're unable to go out after this.
>> No. 53514
>>53502
You voted for a struggle without conditions, just for the sake of blowing some stream. I don't think you're in a position to choose where would the kids be better taken care of.

And I choose Reimu because there's no way she could trust us, even if she had lost the duel.

All is a moot point now, anyway.
>> No. 53515
[x] Extend if two losses won't mean you have to make more concessions.
>> No. 53516
You only want to keep fighting if there is no downside for you. How cowardly.
>> No. 53518
>>53516
I think you mean: how practical.
>> No. 53519
>>53518
Except it's not. You'll put a damper on her good mood at the very least, and might get harsher terms with the intent of goading Patchy into another fight.
>> No. 53520
Our health is at 60.

...
In for a penny, in for a pound: [x] EXTEND.
>> No. 53522
[x] Extend.
-[x] Call in Koakuma, and have her support you during the battle.
>> No. 53523
[x] Proceed negotiations as if nothing happened.
-[x] You will not let her enslave your students to do her chores.

Health is at 60, Patchy isn't in good condition to fight.
>> No. 53524
[x] Proceed negotiations as if nothing happened.
-[x] You will not let her enslave your students to do her chores.

>>53523 Agreed.
>> No. 53525
>>53523
Problem is that concessions will still have to be made. You can't just pretend nothing happened. Even Marisa accept the consequences of losing (see her fight with Patchouli when the golem got summoned).

We could at least ask Sanae to bring them to a safe point after some time to return them if she still intends to have them do chores.
>> No. 53526
>>53524
>>53523

It doesn't work like that. We fought, and lost, even though the actual fighting was done by Marisa. To act like nothing has changed regarding negotiations is akin to trying to wiggle out of a bet, and will be about as well received.

Now, I could see us continuing negotiations with one of the concessions that were being suggested last vote, but trying to go "no, that doesn't count" won't fly.
>> No. 53527
[x] Resume negotiations.
-[x] Concession: Students could help out at the shrine for a short time, as long as they are returned very soon so their schooling is not disrupted and their friends are not worried by their absence.
[x] If she's in need of an extra hand or two around the place beyond what the students provide, and the goddesses require such help to be of flesh and blood, you do have a number of Homunculi you can spare. While they aren't robots, they also won't mind being dressed up in various outfits.

>>53526 here. I do, however, agree that fighting may not be the best idea here. As such, I have deleted my previous vote.
>> No. 53528
[x]There were no terms set before the battle about concessions if Sanae wins. Point this out. When she protests, say words below to throw her off guard.
[x] Deadpan: "Scheming - openly, no less - to kidnap an untold number of poor, innocent, lost children? Making plans to press them into service and force them to worship your deities? And all the while denying them the chance to simply go home? My, miss Kochiya. Were I the ne'er-do-well type, I believe I would be in awe at the sheer villainy you demonstrate."
>> No. 53529
>>53528
Terms don't have to be said before battle. Remember Patchouli and Marisa's fight? Patchouli sure as hell didn't state what she would do before Marisa got knocked out.
>> No. 53530
[x] Proceed negotiations as if nothing happened.
-[x] You will not let her enslave your students to do her chores.
>> No. 53531
Looking forward to this turning out predictably badly.

In the meantime, I'll just change my vote back to the lesser of two evils.

>>53527 here, please change vote to:

[x] Extend.
-[x] Call in Koakuma, and have her support you during the battle.
[x] Consider likely outcomes of attempting to wiggle out of concessions after your side lost.
>> No. 53532
[x] Proceed negotiations as if nothing happened.
-[x] You will not let her enslave your students to do her chores.
[x] Deadpan: "Scheming - openly, no less - to kidnap an untold number of poor, innocent, lost children? Making plans to press them into service and force them to worship your deities? And all the while denying them the chance to simply go home? My, miss Kochiya. Were I the ne'er-do-well type, I believe I would be in awe at the sheer villainy you demonstrate."

Should shut Sanae up nicely. Or at least throw her off guard by pulling any high ground she might have out from under her.
>> No. 53533
[x] There were no terms set before the battle about concessions if Sanae wins. Point this out. When she protests, say words below to throw her off guard.
[x] Deadpan: "Scheming - openly, no less - to kidnap an untold number of poor, innocent, lost children? Making plans to press them into service and force them to worship your deities? And all the while denying them the chance to simply go home? My, miss Kochiya. Were I the ne'er-do-well type, I believe I would be in awe at the sheer villainy you demonstrate."
>> No. 53535
Sanae won't even be that taken aback by said write-in. She's previously expressed innocence when accused, and it's likely she, like Marisa, simply cannot be made to see her actions as wrong.

What's more, negotiation moved past that. Before the fight, the working deal was to bring them to the Hakurei Shrine or the Human Village. And Sanae never mentioned converting them to her faith.
>> No. 53536
[x]Extend and continue negotiations; she's all exited now and you'll have to bleed off some of that energy
-[x] If she's in need of an extra hand or two around the place beyond what the students provide, and the goddesses require such help to be of flesh and blood, you do have a number of Homunculi you can spare. While they aren't robots, they also won't mind being dressed up in various outfits.
-[x]You're also going to be on the Outside on a regular basis, so if there's anything she wants the two of you may be able to make additional deals down the line.
>> No. 53537
Note that Patchouli put a seal on the mini-hakkero a while back, and still hasn't removed it. It could have easily affected the effectiveness of Marisa's danmaku
>> No. 53540
I wounder if that's where ufo marisa shot type B came from.
>> No. 53541
[x] Extend.
-[x] Call in Koakuma and have her support you in the fight.

Almost voted against calling in Koakuma, then I remembered that familiars are allowed in duels.
>> No. 53546
Called for extension + Koakuma + contemplation of why you Do Not break the Hakurei's Spell Card Duel Rules. Vague and ambiguously indistinct as they are, on many points.
>> No. 53547
One of which, I believe Kahi is implying, is "When you're defeated, you're defeated, and have to concede the point. And if you don't, ANGRY REIMU STOMP."

AKA, antivoting "Continuing as if nothing happened.

[X]Extend
>> No. 53548
>>53547
You do realize Kahi called it and the vote is useless, expecially since it's what he called already?
>> No. 53549
File 133901768047.jpg - (46.94KB, 314x372, kinda like this.jpg) [iqdb]
53549
There were no terms set before the battle.

Obviously.

It's not a consistent thing, but there are very seldom any terms set before the battle itself starts. That leads down to extended and irritable hashing about with halfhearted negotiations and both sides becoming vexed about the other insisting that, no, the other party couldn't demand what they wanted even if they did win.

In general, terms are something to decide after the fact, by the winner, with the few limitations specified in the rules. Generally, that you still can't kill your opponent, even if you win. Though it is not out of the question to get it out of the way before-hand, sometimes, assuming that it can be done quickly and allow the participants to go ahead and get to the important bits of figuring out who the winner was.

As such, an extended loss might not leave you with more concessions, as such, as the battle is not yet over, and terms are not yet decided.

You can't just pretend that the whole thing didn't happen, though. Trying to deflect matters, failing to accept a proper loss and continuing on as though the whole thing was of no importance.

You'll make an Incident of yourself, just to start. The whole system will break down, if such things area allowed to go unopposed, and everyone with any level of ability whatsoever would turn upon you all at once. You would have no allies, in such a case, aside from Koakuma, and you would have to swiftly vacate yourself from the scarlet devil mansion, as Remilia herself, and all of her servants would turn upon you as well. They could not afford not to, after all, and would likely be all the harsher for the fact that you are technically considered a member of the household.

You have no real delusions about the result of this. In the very best scenario, you would find yourself sealed away into something, indefinitely. In any case, some sort of object lesson would have to be made of you, as that sort of thing could not in any case be tolerated.

For now, though, you will extend the battle, and silently call Koakuma to your side in the hope of piling on as many advantages as possible. Rumia seems to somehow sense the approaching conflict, and quickly crawls up out of your shadow, attempting to scamper off somewhere out of the line of fire before Sakuya catches her by the collar and very deliberately seats her at the table.

"I am... disappointed in Marisa's performance." You sigh. "An intermediary won't be enough. I'll have to take this matter up personally."

You hope Koakuma is enough to bridge the gap. As your health is today... you're on the better side of average, but by no means could you call it 'good'. You would estimate that you'll be able to bring only about sixty percent of your ability to bear, through a duel.

And the shrine maiden before you is in good shape, if not able to bring quite her full force against you, then something very close to its entirety. Moreover, she seems worryingly eager about all this, still.

Two cards, to keep things short, and Koakuma's assistance... you open with something older. A pure Water element, or representation thereof, representing torrential waves crashing down, burying your opponent, dragging them to the depths, submerging them and...

[Water]: "Bury in Lake" is apt enough a name, even if it's more of the image of burying your opponent beneath an entire lake's worth of water than anything else. The globes of liquid are still sufficient enough to... she's still smiling. You quickly shuffle through your mental list of spellcards you know of, or have heard that she is reputed to have, and...

Blast. Damn. The opening goes to her. She has one card that's almost ideal for something like this, as though it was made for a specific counter to it, and [Sea Opening]: "Miracle of Moses" all but nullifies your card outright. More of a side effect than anything else, but your waters cannot exist within the 'divide' created, and she occupies it happily, continuing to press her advantage.

You don't stop there yourself, however. You send the devil forward, harrasing the shrine maiden as much as possible, to confuse and disorient her and leave her open as you continue launching your own barrages of pain, even as you unfocus your eyes, taking in everything in the general area and mentally tracking not just all that you can see, but the expected progress and paths of those assaults that have passed your position.

It's too late that you realize your second mistake.

Involving Koakuma in this battle at all wasn't nudging things to your advantage. You've handicapped yourself. She provides a secondary, easier target to attack, and you can feel pain blooming through you as the shrine maiden cannily attacks her to get to you. Divine. Energies of wholly benevolent entities deliberately utilized against one that can, more than anything else, be described as 'malevolent', diametrically opposed. It's only a mirror of what Koakuma herself is feeling, from the strikes, and somewhat diminished, but it's still as though you've driven hot needles through every square centimeter of your skin.

Your lungs ache, and you feel a cough building, but you suppress it just long enough to get this next volley off before giving in for a few moments, dodging as best you can before turning your attention fully back to battle.

If the shrine maiden were completely divine in nature, rather than merely channeling that sort of power into her attacks, then Koakuma could offer up a detailed mirror of the experience of being assaulted with a diametrically opposed nature. This is, unfortunately, not entirely the case.

Realizing how hobbled you are, though, with Koakuma in play... good idea as it might have seemed at the time...

You have to finish this. You have to finish this now, because you've just realized that you can't win a contest of endurance. You have to, as it were, take a leave out of Marisa's book and finish things with a bang

Day of the Moon. The biggest bludgeon available, as it were...

[Sun and Moon] "Royal Diamond Ring".

You're over-reaching yourself a bit. You can feel your entire body wracked with the effort of keeping the spell together in your current condition, head pounding as the ache builds within your lungs, desperate urge building to cough and wheeze for just a few moments.

Not yet. Not yet. Just a little more, you have to finish....

.... you nearly manage it. You think you might have been able to stick it through to the ending, if only your skin wasn't also burning like your entire body had been dipped in oil and set alight. But in the end, you lose control of the spell, and it ends just a little earlier than it's intended.

And the shrine maiden, battered and bruised and clearly tired as she is, is not down.

[Youkai Extermination]: "Bewitching Power Spoiler"

You can't get hit.

You must not be hit, you have to dodge it all, you can still....

You're hit.

You're hit again and again and you mustn't fall, you have to endure and get out of the way of the next one, and the next one, and you can't fall down and your vision just went grey...

...

.... You've lost. How infuriating.

"Alriiight~" Sanae cheers from nearby, clearly pleased with herself even though her outfit will clearly have to undergo some mending. Your own garments aren't exactly in pristine condition either. "I won, so the terms are mine to decide. Okay, so...~"

You manage to float over to a chair, and drop yourself heavily in it before fatigue kicks in. You're going to need a few minutes... perhaps an hour or so, to catch your breath and force your body back into proper functionality from this. Can't just lie in bed and take a nap after this, depressing loss or no. Things need doing, and there's little time remaining to do them in.

"... Hm, at first I was thinking set up a schedule. Like you come by one day of the week and... I dunno, pick your kids up, or you're allowed to try to steal them back? Probably let you try to steal them. Letting you steal them sounds like it could have been more fun." Sanae says thoughtfully

"It sounds.." You croak, pausing to swallow and try to get your rasping voice back into order. "... as though you've changed your mind about this?"

"Hm, yeah. It might still be fun, but I dunno. I'm a little tired from this fight, now, so something else..." She mutters. "... Yeah! I know. If I find one of your students, I'll pick them up and keep them safe for you, and send a message for you to come pick them up. And when you get them from the shrine, in return, you'll owe me... one Undeniable Favor, for every student~"

The bottom drops out of your stomach, even as your heart tries to climb out of your throat. You should very much like to vomit, save that your health isn't quite that bad, and you can't allow yourself just now to give into the urge.

An undeniable Favor.

It's appalling. She could have your services as a magician at her beck and call for whatever inane whimsy strikes her fancy, over even your own other duties and interests. She could demand you submit to any manner of twisted depravity or lewdity that crosses her mind, 'bear this number of children for me' is not an unknown thing to ask. She could set you on near impossible quests, and hold you to account should you fail to succeed at them, wringing further requirements still of you, as she would hold the entire advantage in the scenario.

She...

She could...

With an Undeniable Favor, of all the unpleasant possibilities she might choose from, she could even demand that you hand over your books to her. And if she did, you would have to do so.

It's enough to make you feel ready to vomit blood and bile alike.

"Very. Well." You say, very slowly, through grit teeth. "I accept. This. Demand."

Your knuckles have gone quite white around the armrests of this seat, and you deliberately, forcibly, relax your grip. Sanae blinks curiously, peering at you.

"Do you realize?" She wonders aloud. "Your eyes have gone all glowy."

"I am aware." You say, barely managing to not snap the words out. "And I will not ask how you learned..."

"I do read, you know. And it's not like it's a complete secret to everyone around." Sanae says, reprovingly.

"Yes. Very well. Is that all?" You say, voice flat.

"Hmm... yeah, that'll do it. One student from the shrine, one Favor from you." she says, with a nod.

".... Acceptable." You grunt, sagging back in your seat.

You are not well pleased with this term of events. And of course, you will have to hold to your end of things. You will owe this... girl Favors.

.... If she is the one to secure any lost students, and you collect them from her.

---
>> No. 53550
I'd like to look on the bright side and say that now we won't rush into shit, but I don't know if people will actually learn from this.
>> No. 53551
...Well, shit. I guess we're sealing (school to Gensokyo) whatever portals that open anywhere near or on the mountain.

So, do we vote now or is it end of thread?
>> No. 53553
>>53550
>I don't know if people will actually learn from this.

Of course they won't. They're anon after all.
>> No. 53554
I have the hugest grin right now. Sanae deserves all the favors.
>> No. 53556
I'll go through and see about making a Korner later, maybe, if I get around to skimming the chapter for things that need greater explanation or comment.

For now, new thread: >>53555
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x