[Return] [Bottom[Last Update]
Posting mode: Reply
(Reply to 35258)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog
Show or hide post box

 ►
Hide Thread
Watch Thread
Expand All Images
File 135899679821.jpg - (1.35MB, 1920x1080, 1358841604513.jpg) [iqdb]
35258
This story is a sort of bizzaro rendition of PC 98 era Gensokyo. The early choices will determine Reimu's personality as well as the general tone of the story. A word of warning however, actions have consequences, and character deaths are a very real possibility. I hope you all enjoy the story.


++++++++++


My name is Reimu Yakumo, 31st Hakurei of Gensokyo, and this is my legacy.

The title of Hakurei is not always passed from parent to child, though that happens often enough. Rather, the current Hakurei selects a child from one of the villages and trains him or her as a successor. The child, no older than 12 at the start of training, is to be taught the history of Gensokyo. He or she learns of the gods, monsters, youkai, and ghosts. They learn of the elements which govern life. Lastly and most importantly, the child is taught about the duty they will inherit when the current Hakurei dies, the duty to protect Gensokyo from harm, both from within and without.

If only I had the chance to learn those things.

I suppose I should start by recounting the circumstances of my birth. I was, like close to half of Gensokyo’s humans, born in the human village east of the Misty Lake. My father was a woodcutter, my mother, a weaver.

Life was quiet. My parents had few close acquaintances. I suppose that is one trait I inherited from them. Well, along with a dislike of pleasantries and small talk.

Rather than continue to bore you with unnecessary details, I’ll simply state that my early years were very unremarkable.
The first notable event in my life occurred shortly after my tenth birthday, toward the end of Godless Month, 629. That the year came to be known as The Burning Year should explain what happened well enough.

Apparently, some fire and water youkai got into a border clash on the edge of the village. Almost half of the village burned down in the confusion. About one in five people in the area survived. I was one of the lucky ones. My parents, not so much.

I suppose that you wonder why I've worded it so dispassionately. More than seventy years have passed since then; of course I’m detached when talking about it.

Maybe a dozen kids survived the ordeal without either of their parents. Some were taken in by relatives, and one or two joined the workforce. That left six of us unclaimed, including me. We just wandered aimlessly, weakly calling out for our parents. What other solace can there be for a child unwanted by the world?

For perhaps a week, we were ignored by the greater part of the village. We received few handouts of food. The fire had burned many of the village’s storehouses, and most of the adults had their own hungry children to feed. They had their excuses sure, but so much for that sense of community most humans pride themselves on.

After our week of subsisting on little more than discarded scraps, someone finally decided to take note of us. I recall that I was shivering in an alleyway, trying to keep out the chill of the coming winter, when one of the other children came to rouse me. It was Jinta, a boy two years my senior and the only one among us strays who managed to maintain a positive outlook. He seemed excited about something, as in more than usual.

“Oi! Reimu! No time for moping around today! Get up and help me gather the others.” He all but shouts in my face.

“Huh? Why are we gathering?” I ask, trying to avoid going prematurely deaf.

“No time! Grab two of the others and meet up in the big square by Hieda House.” He holds up a finger as if he just had a great idea. “Race ya there!” He moves to take off.

I respond by…
[] Playing along. I do need to warm myself up after all…
() But how should I go about searching?
[] agreeing to help, but not to have some stupid race.
() Should I just accompany Jinta or should we split up?
[] demanding he explain further. What the heck is so important?
[] refusing. I’ll have no part in these shenanigans.
[x] Playing along. I do need to warm myself up after all…

I like a friendly and playful Reimu
[x] Playing along. I do need to warm myself up after all…
Bemusedly playing along. Reimu, that is. Practical, but optimistic enough to occasionally let go and be blissfully carefree/naive.
[c] Playing along. I do need to warm myself up after all…
[o] Playing along. I do need to warm myself up after all…
Calling it now, as the vote is unanimous. Update will be today or tomorrow.
File 135918481274.png - (120.47KB, 1339x880, Human Village 1.png) [iqdb]
35267
“Alright, you’re on!” I say. Jinta responds by taking off immediately. “Aww, could you at least wait for me to stand up first?” He’s already run off of course.

Hmm, Jinta headed South, I think. That means he’s probably looking for Kaworu among the woodcutters. I wonder if I could beat him there…

As for the remaining three, they’re pretty spread out. Mai is most likely digging through the burnt husks that now make up the lakeside district. Maybe she’ll find something that could pay for a few meals. No idea how she does it though.

Kaede is bound to be somewhere here in the Merchant District. If she isn’t begging for food or money, she’s probably stealing some. Well, either that or finishing a fight some other kid started.

Lastly, there’s Yuki. She’s the only one of us who’s bothered to keep going to school since the fire. Don’t know why though. In any case, she’ll be there at this hour.

Well, just standing around here will only waste time. I’d better get a move on if I want to beat Jinta.

Choose TWO (order matters):
() I wonder if Mai found anything valuable? She’s the farthest away, but it might be worth the trip.
() Kaede should be easy enough to find. She’s pretty close by as well.
() I already know where Yuki is. She should be easy enough to grab.
() Kaworu is nearest. And Jinta’s expression will be priceless!

Also choose your method of searching:
() Slow and steady wins the race! Jinta will tire himself out, leaving plenty of time to do things at my own pace.
() GOTTA GO FAST! Beat Jinta at his own game.
() Write-in strategy.

+++++++++++
Very short update. The next one will be longer, I assure you. And from time to time, expect a crude map like the above. I find they help indicate the layout of Gensokyo and which landmarks are there/not there.
>>35267
(c) Kaworu is nearest. And Jinta’s expression will be priceless!
(c) Slow and steady wins the race! Jinta will tire himself out, leaving plenty of time to do things at my own pace.
(X) I already know where Yuki is. She should be easy enough to grab.
(X) I wonder if Mai found anything valuable? She’s the farthest away, but it might be worth the trip.
(X) Take every back-alley shortcut you know of, time is of the essence!
(c) Mai.
(c) Slow and steady wins the race! Jinta will tire himself out, leaving plenty of time to do things at my own pace
>>35269
>>35272
He said to pick TWO people to search for! Pay attention next time!
Voting ends in 12 hours. the 2nd person to search for will be determined randomly if no one has voted by then.
(x) Kaede should be easy enough to find. She’s pretty close by as well.
(x) I already know where Yuki is. She should be easy enough to grab.
(x) Slow and steady wins the race! Jinta will tire himself out, leaving plenty of time to do things at my own pace.

Take the laziest option that works. That's my Reimu
Calling for:

(X) I already know where Yuki is. She should be easy enough to grab.
(X) I wonder if Mai found anything valuable? She’s the farthest away, but it might be worth the trip.
(x) Slow and steady wins the race! Jinta will tire himself out, leaving plenty of time to do things at my own pace.
How's that update coming?
>>35288
About halfway. Been sick and busy lately. I swear, it feels like its only been about three coherent days on my end. Expect it within the next 48 hours for sure.
New reader reporting in. Just dropping by to say I'm warmly waiting for that promised update. I'm curious about what do you have in store for orphaned Reimu.
Sorry everyone for the last month without updates. Life has been rough lately, and as a result, I haven't been coherent enough to even think about writing. With spring break on the way however, I should be able to finally get something done.
>>35324
Hooray!
>>35378
Sage, goddammit, SAGE!
[Return] [Top]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


Thread Watcher x
Reply toX