-  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 197331)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3217 unique user posts. View catalog

File 149884361550.jpg - (11.88KB , 310x140 , Orpheon_full_view.jpg ) [iqdb]
197331 No. 197331
You arrive at the location of the distress signal. There it is, the frigate Orpheon. It seems to have suffered damage recently, no doubt due to someone taking offense at the actions of the vessel’s latest crew. You bring your ship alongside to board the ship.

It doesn't take long for you to make your way inside the ship, and you are greeted with a rather gruesome sight as the airlock finishes cycling. In the room ahead lies a myriad of corpses. The most obvious one appears to be some massive insectoid creature, which seems to have punctured the hull. However, the internal atmosphere seems to have forced the remains back into the hole, sealing it. Further, there appears to be a number of pirate corpses. However, your theory is shattered when one raises its weapon and levels it at you. You put the wounded assailant out of your misery with a quick blast and proceed through the ship.

You make your way through the ship, and find a room filled with terminals, which you use to acquire a map of the ship. You also notice a number of files regarding the experiments the pirates have been performing. A quick skimming reveals that most of the creatures aboard the vessel are being used as test subjects for enhancement. You perform a quick scan for locations of interest on the ship, and notice an unusual energy signature in the reactor core.

As you enter the reactor room an alarm blares, prompting a massive insectoid to descend into the center of the room. You manage to make out the words “lockdown initiated” over the intercom before the bug unleashes a beam of energy, which narrowly misses you. A quick scan of the monstrosity reveals it to be a variant of one of the parasite samples, horribly mutated by the pirates. How the hell did they manage to give a bug lasers? You open fire on the abomination, only to be struck by the next beam. The impact throws you against the wall, draining your shields significantly. You collect yourself and ready your weapon, preparing to dodge the next blast. As you leap to the side, you launch a missile straight at the deformed head of the mutant, and follow this up with several blasts from your beam cannon. This only seems to anger the beast, as it begins to charge yet another blast. You use the brief moment to unload everything you have into the monster, terminating it before it can fire another beam.

Unfortunately, the beast’s corpse falls into the reactor, which is apparently enough to cause it to go critical. Luckily, the lockdown seems to have been rescinded, granting you access to hightail it to your ship. As you reach the airlock and begin to cycle it, the door behind you is blasted open, slamming you into the wall. An alert on your HUD informs you that a majority of your suit systems are compromised due to the blast and must be disabled. You manage to force your way out of the airlock regardless, and enter your ship before a massive blast rips through the frigate. As you detach, you notice a large rift, which appears to be pulling the pirate vessel in. You also realize that getting clear of the vessel will put you too close to the rift for you to escape it. Aw, hell, you’ve had worse. You engage thrusters and launch yourself through.



You awake and find that your ship landed somewhere in the middle of a forest. You check your coordinates, only to find that there are no nearby systems to use as waypoints. In fact, you can't find any familiar systems anywhere. Well, shit.

You decide to take a look around this planet and see if there are any remnants of the frigate or something to reopen that rift.

As you exit your ship, you remember that many of your suit upgrades were destroyed, and you check to see which ones are busted. Turns out, everything except your beam cannon is offline.

You know that line about “you’ve had worse”?

Well, time to look around.

[x] Look for the crashed frigate. There has to be something there you can salvage.
[x] Look for some form of star chart. Perhaps you can find a familiar system.
[x] Look for some sign of the rift. Maybe it’s two-way?
Expand all images
>> No. 197332
[x] Look for the crashed frigate. There has to be something there you can salvage.

Other choices seem fairly pointless.
>> No. 197333
[x] Look for the crashed frigate. There has to be something there you can salvage.

How will we repair the suit without resources?
>> No. 197334
>>197333

The Magic of Friendship seems to be all the rage with kids nowadays, maybe we could try that.
>> No. 197335
[x] Look for the crashed frigate. There has to be something there you can salvage.
>> No. 197337
[x] Look for the crashed frigate. There has to be something there you can salvage.

This a Metroid story?
>> No. 197342
Calling the vote for investigating the crashed ship. I'll try to make future choices less one-sided.

>>197337
Yes
>> No. 197343
>>197342

Well, it was kinda metagame-y on my part to say the other choices were pointless. They would be obviously be logical lines of inquiry for someone in the protagonists position. I'll try to avoid making comments like that in the future.
>> No. 197404
File 149936200324.jpg - (7.34KB , 196x258 , missile upgrade.jpg ) [iqdb]
197404
[x] Look for the crashed frigate. There has to be something there you can salvage.

You decide to investigate the massive plume of smoke, which you can only assume to be the remains of the Orpheon. The pirates have been known to steal and reverse-engineer your gear; perhaps you can find some replacements there? You set your ship to scan the planet and to report any points of interest before you head in the direction of the column of smoke.

As you trek through the forest, you make a mental note to scan and record the local flora and fauna as soon as you repair your scanners. While most of it seems rather standard, a few plants stand out as obvious threats due to their carnivorous nature and massive size. You decide to stay clear for now. You continue to scan the surroundings for potential ambushes, but none appear.

As you approach the source of the smoke, your vigilance is rewarded, as you spot several pirates unloading crates from the wreck. You take cover and wait for them to head back to the ship before you strike. As the last one turns, you leap from your hiding spot and down the closest pirate with a quick burst from your beam cannon. Your cover blown, the pirates quickly turn to face you and open fire. You duck behind a crate to avoid the incoming fire, returning fire the moment you get a chance. As you spring up to fire upon the pirates, you notice that one has sealed the door with a blast shield. You lay down enough suppressive fire to relocate to a larger stack of crates, scoring a few decent hits in the process. From your superior cover, you are able to take out another pair of pirates before the remaining ones flank your position. You apply liberal amounts of beam-fire to the pirates, but a few of their shots glance off your armor before they die.

With the excitement out of the way, you decide to scrounge through the crates for anything useful. Opening the first crate, you find a number of energy cells. These cells might be single use, but they should be perfect for recharging your systems. A quick reboot later, and your HUD springs to life, alerting you that your map and scanners are back online. Unfortunately, it seems as if the rest of your systems suffered more intense damage, and will need to be replaced. The rest of the crates only contain more cells, so you figure anything larger would be inside the frigate. Pulling up the map of the ship, you look it over for the closest armory as well as another way in. You manage to find a maintenance shaft into a room nearby, with only a short distance to the armory.

You make your way over to the shaft, keeping an eye open for any patrols. Luckily, you reach your entry point without incident, and slip inside. Double-checking your map, you head to the left and pause to listen before opening the door. The room seems silent, so you open the door and head into the next room. A quick sweep of the room reveals it to be a series of holding cells for the pirate’s various experiments. You make haste through the room, not willing to put faith into the integrity of the cells after the impact.Slipping through the door, you enter what appears to be some sort of laboratory. The damage in this room is extensive, and appears to be the result of an escaped “weapon”. You search the room thoroughly, not wanting to be caught off-guard by whatever monster the pirates created, but soon find signs indicating that the creature has moved on. With no reason to wait for it to return, you head into the armory.

As you search the armory for weapons your suit can interface with, you stumble upon a pirate examining a weapon surprisingly similar to your missile launcher. You surprise the pirate with a shot to the head, and claim the launcher for yourself

--Missile Launcher Acquired! Missile capacity: 5--

Loading several missiles into the launcher, you turn to leave the ship before the pirates notice your incursion. As you re-enter the lab, you take a moment to download the files for the pirate’s specimens. Adding the data to your codex for later reference, you proceed back through the holding cells. You cross the room, noticing that several cells are open now. This realization is followed by a skittering sound from behind you. Turning to face the sound, you find what you can only guess is one of the escaped creatures. It appears to be some variant of beetle, mutated to massive size by pirate experiments. Not wanting anything to do with another of the pirate’s abominations, you quickly head through the far door, and back into the corridor. As you duck back out of the ship, you take notice of a strange scene. Several pirates have surrounded and are attempting to… subdue some sort of black sphere?

[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.

[x] Leave them alone, and get out while you are undetected.
-[x] Look for some form of star chart. Perhaps you can find a familiar system.
-[x] Look for some sign of the rift. Maybe it’s two-way?
-[x] Look for something else. [Write-in]
>> No. 197405
[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.
>> No. 197406
[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.

I'm liking the retro vibes. So far keeping very well to the themes of the original series.
>> No. 197409
[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.
>> No. 197411
[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.
>> No. 197419
[X] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.

Hi Rumia!
>> No. 197420
[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.
>> No. 197422
Calling the vote for stopping the pirates. I know I said I would try to have better choices, but it's harder than it seems.

In other news, I will be heading out of town for a week or two, and won't be able to upload until I get back. I will be working on the update while I'm gone, so it should be able to go up as soon as I get home.
>> No. 197423
You can add suboptions to increase variety when you think an option will win. Per example, in this case, different avenues of attack.
>> No. 197424
-[x] Help the sphere because fuck pirates.
-[x] Look for something else.
--[X] Scanner is powered up and ready to scan. check to see if the energy signal is hanging around the reactor core.
--[x] Fantastic Star Charts and Where to Find Them.
--[x] Whatever the pirates used to control, kill, or subjugate their creations. Letting them run loose on an innocent planet probably isn't the best Idea.

Just consider this a shitpost since votes are closed.
>> No. 197483
File 150025455217.jpg - (84.00KB , 1440x1080 , rumiaSphere.jpg ) [iqdb]
197483
[x] Interfere and attack the pirates. Whatever is up with that sphere, it can’t be good to let the pirates get their hands on it.

Energy: 99
Missiles: 5/5

That sphere is giving off some rather disconcerting readings, and the pirates will no doubt attempt to turn whatever it is into some sort of weapon. The pirates are enough of a problem as is, so you decide to put a stop to this project before it starts.

You take a few moments to survey the situation while the pirates are distracted, and get a headcount of your foes. You count two troopers with flight packs, another with a heavy cannon, and a trio of standard shock troopers. Scanning the sphere, you realize that the majority of it is incorporeal, projected by some anomalous object in the center.

You level your cannon at the heavy trooper, engaging the newly acquired missile launcher. Locking on, the missile flies towards the trooper, detonating with a satisfying explosion. Changing targets and reverting to your beam cannon, you open fire on the grounded troopers. As you down the first, the others direct their focus at you. The sheer amount of fire is impossible to dodge, several shots hit your shields as you find yourself wishing for more cover.

Energy: 85
Missiles: 4/5

You return fire on the shock troopers, and begin to retreat towards the trees for cover. You make it about halfway to the trees before the sphere begins to rise, firing multicolored spheres of energy. You use the ensuing chaos to duck behind a tree. Spotting a break in the fire, you peek out and launch another missile at one of the jetpack pirates. The other seems to have disappeared, perhaps downed by the sphere. You don’t have long to look however, as another wave of suppressing fire sweeps your position. When it passes, you take another look, and find no pirates left standing. The sphere is still firing however, so you put a few rounds into it to no effect. Ducking back into cover, you key your target-lock system to the center of the sphere, and ready another missile. At the first opportunity, you fire on the anomaly. The missile impacts its target with a thud, and a... scream?

Energy: 85
Missiles: 2

You look back out to see that the sphere has dissipated, and a small girl is writhing on the ground. Confused by this development, you approach, weapon raised. As you approach, you activate your scanner. As it boots up, you hear a strange noise, and are greeted with the message: Database updated. You figure you must have forgotten to update before you left to track the distress signal. Nevertheless, you scan the girl in front of you.

--Rumia
--Morphology : Youkai - Humanoid
Known as “The Youkai of Darkness”, Rumia is capable of projecting a sphere of complete darkness around herself. Like most Youkai, she possesses incredible strength and regenerative powers. However, she is simple-minded and childish in nature, and can be subdued with concussive damage.

Youkai? Aren’t those fairytale monsters? Why would that be listed in your database? Where is this place? Why is “Humanoid” specified? Your train of thought is interrupted as Rumia states, “Fine, you win! Take it, just don’t do that again!” In her outstretched hand is a missile tank. Inspecting the expansion reveals it to be perfectly functional, so you affix it to your launcher.

--Missile capacity increased! Maximum missiles: 10--

Energy: 85
Missiles: 7/10

Suddenly, your HUD pops up an alert
{High-energy signature detected. Readings indicate Chozo origin}
Well, that’s convenient. A few quick commands add the location of the Chozo signature to your map, and you head out. You figure you should probably bring Rumia as well. Local knowledge is a benefit rarely afforded in your line of work.

[x] Ask Rumia some questions. Perhaps you can learn a bit about this world or its inhabitants.
-[x] But what to ask? [Write-in]

[x] Remain silent. A true protagonist never speaks.
>> No. 197490
[x] Ask Rumia some questions. Perhaps you can learn a bit about this world or its inhabitants.

Just started reading this story, and while the idea is interesting, the execution is pretty boring. It could really do with less telling and more showing. For example, these:

> Unfortunately, the beast’s corpse falls into the reactor, which is apparently enough to cause it to go critical.

> You awake and find that your ship landed somewhere in the middle of a forest.

> A few quick commands add the location of the Chozo signature to your map, and you head out.

Would break immersion a lot less if they were more like these:

> Before you can do anything to stop it, the beast's massive corpse drops right into the reactor. A cascade of sparks and an ominous rumble spell out the bad news: it's going critical. Now would be a good time to leave.

> You groan back to wakefulness and shake your head to clear it. It takes a few seconds of blank staring for your brain to process what you're looking at: trees. A forest. Your ship's autopilot must have landed while you were out.

> You plug the Chozo signature's location into your map and square your shoulders. You've got work to do.

Of course, those are just my half-assed takes on them, but the key point is this: give your readers the play-by-play, not the newsreel. Describe events as your character sees them, not like you're explaining the plot to your editor.
>> No. 197500
Jesus Christ this chick on that Cawadoody Lifestyle.

[X] Sorry for shooting you with a rocket. I clearly saw you defending yourself from pirates and decided to also attack you for some strange reason. We cool?
-[X] What language are we speaking?
-[X] Any chance you have a team of teenagers with attitude? We might have a small-scale monster invasion on our hands very soon.
-[X]I could just nuke them from orbit in my ship, but that's not as fun.
>> No. 197501
>>197490
I'll try to work on that. Thanks for the advice.

>>197500
The pirates were all downed, and Rumia was still firing at her. Samus fired to attempt to subdue her assailant, and had no idea it was alive.

Leaving voting open for a bit longer, hoping for more votes.
>> No. 197504
>>197501

The scene was just strange because we've been led to belive getting hit with a rocket kills the crab. To see Samus not even make an effort to communicate before shooting was a very powerful "what the fuck am I reading" moment.
[Return] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


Exit Mobile View