[Return]
Archived Thread

File 139825965578.jpg - (207.27KB , 640x480 , CAV___II.jpg ) [iqdb]
179237 No. 179237
“I don't even know why this is a discussion,” says the youngest of your little party. “The bee would tear the moth limb from limb.” Settling back into her seat from the momentary burst of enthusiasm, she takes a long sip from the earthen mug at her side before adding, “If he could even show that much restraint.”

“The laser moth? The bee would never get close.” Crossing her arms and putting on an unamused glare, the fairy stares her opponent down. “Lasers, Rumia. Lasers.

“All of us dodge lasers all the time. Bees are way faster than us. And more vicious! And smaller targets.” The fledgeling youkai takes on perhaps too heated a tone, slapping fingers audibly as she counts off her reasons. “And how would a moth aim its lasers anyways? Those things are retarded. It'd probably fly into its own beam.”

“Now that's where you're wrong. Moths are surprisingly intelligent.” You've known the answer to the argument since the beginning, but watching your friends argue about nothing has always been a small source of amusement for you. Watching them talk shit about your other friends, however, is where you draw the line. “They just have their own...” Of course, standing up for them has never been easy. “Fractured manner of thinking.”

She waves a hand dismissively, but backs off all the same. “All right, so they're not retarded.” At the very least, these guys respect you enough to acknowledge your expertise. They're some of the (very) few who have gained a respect for bugs rather than looking down on you as just another one, and that has cemented their place in your life. “My points stand, though.”

Behind the counter, meat hits the grill and explodes into activity, sizzling loudly and filling the air with some of the best smells this side of the border. Glancing over reveals a busy Mystia, her wings tucked carefully as she dances around the kitchen doing ten things at once, the master of her domain. “Did we ever decide just how giant these bugs were? I'm not any bigger than the bee I was imagining.”

The two snap to face her, answering at once. “30 centimeters!” “30 meters!” Without breaking their synchronization, they stare each other down heatedly.

[ ] Step in. This might get violent.
[ ] Step back. This might get violent.
[ ] SO MYSTIA HOW'S BUSINESS

---

Vote quick. I'll be writing quick (or trying to anyways), all day long. Kickin' it old school.

No. 179238
[X] SO MYSTIA HOW'S BUSINESS

I LOVE THIS ALREADY
No. 179239
[x] Put your left foot in and shake it all about
No. 179240
[x] SO MYSTIA HOW'S BUSINESS

CAW CAW MOTHERFUCKER

I'm sorry is that racist
No. 179241
[X] SO MYSTIA HOW'S BUSINESS

FAST VOTES OLDSCHOOL HYPE.
No. 179242
WRITING

THIS IS FIRST TO THREE BY THE WAY

WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING
No. 179245
“SO MYSTIA! HOW'S BUSINESS?” You shout over the imagined clashing of eye lasers.

She turns to you, grinning wide, and slams her fist on the table with her first word. “JUST awful! You guys are my only customers, and you only pay about half the time anyways.” Either it's a fib or she doesn't mind either way. She's never quite as happy as when she's busy with the shop, which is why it's become the meeting place and, often, the setting for entire nights of...well, nothing in particular. “Fun” is the only term that really covers everything that goes on.

The outburst tears Rumia's attention from her rival. “Well maybe if you made us pay then--” Who bops her on the head for bringing up the very idea.

“Then we'd never get to hang out here again. What are you, stupid?”
“Who are you calling stupid, stupid?”
“Oh, just the stupid-head here.”
“So yourself then!”

The two butt heads both literally and figuratively, but the insults are half-hearted and do little more than cause everyone to fall into a fit of laughter. By the time it subsides, the next round of grilled lamprey is on your plates, and Mystia fills your cups with...whatever it is. You trust her. Cirno immediately grabs hers, ceasing its steaming, and struggles to tear away a bite. “You know I wouldn't put myself out of business for you guys. I never give more than I can afford to. Don't worry about it. Now come on, eat, drink. That's some of the good stuff.” An experimental sip reveals something crisp and minty, tasting faintly of cherries. It makes the heavy lamprey much easier to eat.

“Fho ib id rue?” Cirno attempts, her cheeks puffed full with lamprey. She hesitates for a moment, choosing between speaking and swallowing, and settles on the latter. “We're the only people who ever show up?”

“When's the last time you ate next to someone?” Her voice keeps a playful lilt despite the disappointment on her face. “Lamprey's not that popular, I guess.”

“Bud iz fho good!” Small bits of meat fly onto the table, and Mystia wastes no time wiping them up, leaving Cirno's extended hand grabbing at air. She pouts a bit before remembering the other half of her serving, which keeps her attention.

“Yeah, maybe it's just a location thing,” you add, having better sense and sharper teeth. “You ever think about moving your operation?”

Already back to the grill, scraping it down, Mystia replies over her shoulder. “I move it all the time! It's a cart!”

Rumia just shrugs. “You ever think about settling down?” The sentence is punctuated with a barely contained grin that she hides by using it to take another bite.

“Ooh, or maybe it's just a matter of advertising,” you add. “Nobody will come if they don't know you're here.”

Mystia waves her hand as though swatting away flies. “Look, it's whatever. It doesn't matter.”

[ ] Drop it. She's getting annoyed.
[ ] Push it. She's a terrible liar.
[ ] This is getting gears to turn...(input devious plan)
No. 179246
[x] This is getting gears to turn...(input devious plan)

"Okay, Mysty, what would YOU like to happen here?"
No. 179247
[ ] Push it. She's a terrible liar.

Friends don't let friends go out of business.
No. 179248
[x] This is getting gears to turn...

"Okay, Mysty, what would YOU like to happen here?"

I like it!
No. 179251
[X] This is getting gears to turn...

"Okay, Mysty, what would YOU like to happen here?"

Onward!
No. 179252
"Fuckin' finally," he said, having waited only 20 minutes.

Writing.
No. 179253
[X] This is getting gears to turn...(input devious plan)

If people don't know that they can get lamprey this delicious here, then we must SHOW them.



>You've known the answer to the argument since the beginning
So who WOULD win between a bee and a laser moth?
No. 179254
>>179253
A gentleman never asks, and a Nightbug never tells.
No. 179255
>>179253
Is the Bee Hibachi?
No. 179256
“If you say so, Mysty. But I have to wonder,” you begin, a plan half-formed in your head. Friends don't let friends go out of business. “What would you like to see happen here?”

“I would like to see you move on already.” She takes a moment to poke my forehead, pushing my head back some. “You have enough to worry about without throwing a pile of nothing on top of it.”

“I'm not worried, I'm just curious. You say you're okay with it, but what's, like. Your ideal scenario, here?” Maybe there's not much I can do to make it happen. Maybe it'll be enough. “I mean, there had to be a reason you started this whole thing.”

Humoring me, she stops her buzzing about to sit and ponder her response. “Hm. It's been a long time since I thought about any of that, to tell you the truth. I've always liked cooking, especially for other people, so I guess it just seemed natural that I should start something like this.” Her eyes go distant for a moment, and her lips curl up. “It was never really about the money. So,” she says, snapping back to the present, “I guess my ideal situation is one where I get to see people eat my food and smile.”

“Well thath go'n on righ now, innit?” Cirno interjects, licking her fingers clean of the spices that covered her lamprey.

Mystia reaches out and ruffles the fairy's hair, much to her delight. “You're damn right it is! So don't worry about it.”

“But then why are you so unhappy about the lack of business?” Rumia refuses to let the subject drop, though, devilishly perceptive as she is. “You clearly want something to change.”

For once, she lacks a quick riposte. Go Rumia. “Well...I dunno. If I couldn't cook for you guys here, I'd be doing it at home. There's a difference between doing it just for yourself and doing it for everybody, though. It's just kind of discouraging to put myself out there – you know, 'Come taste, everyone's welcome! Lorelai's Pride!' – and then, nothing. I should be happy that I've even got you guys as customers, though. And I am!” she adds hastily. “Really. Don't worry about it. I'm just having one of those nights. The business isn't going down or anything, and even if I were out of money there's nothing I can't just go out and catch myself.”

I have to add, “What about the booze? You can't catch booze.” Not that I especially care about it.
“Or whetstones. Unless you plan on using your claws.”
“Or wheels. You know, in case one breaks.”
“Or oil for the lamps.”

With a raised eyebrow and a smirk, she gets her wits back. “Maybe you can't.” And back to tending the kitchen...

[ ] We're just making her dwell on it.
[ ] Oh, no you don't. This is now all of our business.
[ ] Fine, fine...I'll just have to do something behind your back.

---

Fun fact: I stuffed my face full of food and licked my fingers for Cirno's lines. The things I do for you people.
No. 179257
>>179256
[x] Oh, no you don't. This is now all of our business.

IT'S ON SISTER

WE FRIENDDICKS NOW
No. 179258
[X] Oh, no you don't. This is now all of our business.

Because being annoying is just what friends do.
No. 179259
[X] Oh, no you don't. This is now all of our business.
No. 179260
Now that's what I like to see.

Writing!
No. 179262
...Well. Just noticed that I slipped back into first person. Old habits die hard, I guess.
No. 179263
Oh, it's on. “Well, no. But you know what I can do...” You roll your eyes, settling on an innocent upturned corner.

The effect isn't lost on Mystia. “No. Absolutely not.

It's too late, Mysty. This is happening. “I propose a vote! All in favor of getting this cart a crowd, say aye. Aye.”
“Aye.”
“Aye.”
“Ayayayaya.” phbbptggfuck! “Here I thought someone was calling for me.” In the seat next to you is a very calm, composed tengu, whose hair is not nearly tangled enough for how fast she must have just been moving. She crosses her legs at her seat, pulling a notepad from a pocket that the motion exposes. “But I needed to stop for a bite, anyways. Do you happen to still be open, or is this a private gathering?” A pen finds its way to her hand, and although she doesn't make to write with it she spins it between her fingers deftly, never quite keeping the same pattern of motion.

Mystia is the only one among you that seems unfazed by her arrival. She faces her with a friendly grin, all too eager to serve. “Oh, we're very open. What's your pleasure?”

“Oh, whatever you're best at.” She tosses a few coins on the table, more than Mystia would ever charge – by a few times. She grabs one and pushes the rest back toward the newcomer.

“This will be plenty then,” she says, spearing a lamprey through before reaching to a cabinet to replenish the rub she had prepared for the last round. A testament to her frugality, or perhaps her claim that the only people who ever show up are her friends, the last batch didn't leave a single speck to work with. “Care for a drink?”

Pushing the coins back toward Mystia, she replies, “Only if it's a good one. I've got discerning tastes, you know.”

Once again, Mysty takes only a single one, returning the rest. The tengu leaves them on the table. “You've come to the right place, then. So what should I call you?”

With a flourish of her pen, she half-bows from her seat. “Shameimaru Aya, journalist extraordinaire. Or just Aya, though it would make me happy if you used the title now and then. What about yourself?”

“Mystia Lorelai, simple night sparrow and chef. These are my friends, and they can introduce themselves whenever they stop gawking.” She turns toward the three of you, clicking her tongue. “You'd think they'd never seen a tengu before.”

[ ] Be polite. You don't know her.
[ ] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?
[ ] Journalist, you say...Time to make a scene worth reporting on.

---

Short break to take a walk and clear my head. Something's wrong in my gut-parts. Shouldn't take too long.
No. 179264
[X] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?
-[X]...Time to make a scene worth reporting on.

Reputation for good food + reputation for gud fites + Gensokyoans' luv of fites = PROFIT
No. 179265
[x] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?

Making a scene might overshadow advertising at best and be counteroproductive at worse.
No. 179266
[X] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?
No. 179267
[x] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?
No. 179270
Make that a long break. Make that very wrong. I need to lay down. Sorry guys. This will be continued. soon.
No. 179273
[X] Journalist, you say...Time to make a scene worth reporting on.
No. 179276
[x] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?

So the Ayayayaya's have it then, we're bringing a crowd to this cart.
No. 179297
[x] Journalist, you say...You don't do restaurant reviews, do you?
YES
No. 179302
So I had intended to run this today, but a friend of mine has invited me to an impromptu weekend camping trip. I've never been camping, and I am therefore running around like a clever analogy that hasn't fully formed yet. Provided nothing terrible happens, expect more on Monday.

By the way. CFA has been updated. You know, if you're into that.
No. 179303
>>179302
>I've never been camping
Just a tip; if you think you have enough insect repellent, antiseptic sprays, or ropes and pegs, you're wrong. Get more.
Tarps are also nice, but you won't die if you run out.
No. 179321
>>179302

Camping tip no. 104: Yes, as a matter of fact there ARE bears where you're setting up camp. No exceptions.
No. 179396
You haven't been gawking, though. You've just been...observing. Yeah. “I'm Wriggle Nightbug, and you...don't happen to do restaurant reviews, do you?”

The comment gets a groan out of Mysty and a smirk out of Aya. “Why? Are you afraid of what I'd say?” Her pen shoots to the pad at her lap, making you hesitate when choosing your words.

“Don't pay her any mind,” Mysty tosses behind her. “She's got this idea in her head of how I need to be more busy.” She punctuates the sentence with the tell-tale sizzle of meat hitting grill, then begins digging through her small (but excellent) selection of drinks.

“Well, you do,” Cirno helpfully adds. “Or else you wouldn't have sounded so sad before.” She turns to Aya, adding almost as an afterthought, “Cirno, strongest.”

“Charmed.” Words materialize on Aya's pad, the pen never even seeming to move. “Before?”

“Yeah. She was getting all mopey talking about how nobody eats her food even though it's amazing. Not that she would admit it.”

“Hey!” The bottle of whatever magic she picked out slams hard on the counter top, stopping Cirno in her tracks. If you pretend hard enough, it was her that yelped, not you. It's also an effort not to notice the deep blush on Mysty's face. “I am being misrepresented so hard right now.”

You don't know about all that...“Rumia, the minutes please?”

“Ahem,” she begins, exaggeratedly clearing her throat before putting on her closest impression (which isn't especially close), “It's just kind of discouraging to put myself out there – you know, 'Come taste, everyone's welcome! Lorelai's Pride!' – and then, nothing.”

It's not at all meant to be mocking, but the scene gets a hearty chuckle out of Aya. “The minutes don't lie, Lorelai! That sounds like moping to me.”

Bracing herself over the counter, she stares you each down in turn. “Okay, what about the like five times I told you that I was doing fine and didn't really mind? Or when you asked how business was in the first place? Or --”

“Details, details!” Once again, Rumia hand-waves the entire matter, making it an issue on the level of moth retardation (which is a serious issue). “The point is, don't burn the lamprey.”

Mysty's foot shoots up behind her, wooden sandal striking metal skewer, flipping it onto its uncooked side. “Don't you start trying to tell me how to do my job, too.”

Aya shifts the drink that had been set before her to her fingertips, exposing a palm so she can applaud the feat quietly. “And here I thought this would be a boring night. To answer your question, Nightbug – that's your given name? Nightbug?”

Right. Name orders. “Wriggle, actually. Sorry.” Sometimes I wonder if it's this confusing outside of Gensokyo, too.

She seems legitimately apologetic, though. “Oh, no, I should have been able to tell. If people would just stick to one order, I wouldn't get confused at all,”

Thank you.

She laughs a bit, but continues without missing a beat. “But that's no excuse. I hear too many names in this line of work to misunderstand even without being told. Anyways! Yes, I do the occasional restaurant review. I wasn't planning on doing one this issue, though. Dunno if I can get away with it, there's a lot going on...”

[ ] Convince her with words.
[ ] Convince her with force danmaku.
[ ] Convince her with alcohol.

---

I think this might be more manageable as a daily updates kind of thing, or if I were to just find a day that works to run non-stop and set a few hours aside every week, or both, or...I dunno. What do you guys think?
No. 179397
[X] Convince her with alcohol.

What could possibly go wrong?
No. 179398
[X] Convince her with alcohol.

Booze fixes EVERYTHING. Except alcoholics.
No. 179399
>>179396
>Mysty's foot shoots up behind her, wooden sandal striking metal skewer, flipping it onto its uncooked side. “Don't you start trying to tell me how to do my job, too.”
Baller.

[x] Convince her with alcohol.
No. 179400
[X] Convince her with words.
-[X] What other restaurant has Naked Apron thursdays?
-[X] Just kidding, I think the food here should speak for itself.

I don't want to waste all of Mystia's alcohol trying to get a Tengu drunk.
No. 179403
>I think this might be more manageable as a daily updates kind of thing, or if I were to just find a day that works to run non-stop and set a few hours aside every week, or both, or...I dunno. What do you guys think?

We're fine with whichever you prefer, so long as you actually keep whatever schedule you end up picking. If you're changing the update schedule though, is it still first option to three votes, or something else?
No. 179413
[X] Convince her with words.
-[X] What other restaurant has Naked Apron thursdays?
-[X] Just kidding, I think the food here should speak for itself.

What could possibly go wrong?
No. 179423
[X] Convince her with food.
It should speak for itself.
No. 179446
>>179396
[x] Convince her with alcohol that naked apron reporting is a great idea!
No. 179480
[X] Convince her with food AND drink
No. 179490
[X] Convince her with words.
-[X] What other restaurant has Naked Apron thursdays?
No. 179522
>>179446
I like you, but let's take it up a notch.
[X] Convince her with alcohol naked reporting is a great idea!