[Return]
Archived Thread

File 135764064828.jpg - (81.65KB , 1600x900 , wow it's fucking water.jpg ) [iqdb]
164280 No. 164280
Oh God what am I doing I've got my hands full with STALKER as it is.

-----

It hurts.

That's been one of your mainstay thoughts for what feels like centuries.

You're stuck in this metal coffin barely large enough for you to fit in. Everything is dark and cramped, and you're entirely submerged in water. The liquid flows around you, in you, down your throat and nose and ears and eyes and it suffocates and it burns and it hurts

Once, a long time ago, you know there was something other than this prison, this endless blackness and ceaseless drowning.

All that does is make it worse.

Faint wisps of memory flit around inside your mind, hovering just out of reach, taunting you with knowledge of how things came to this. No matter how hard you try to remember, you're always drawn back to this airless tomb because it hurts.

Your thoughts are interrupted when everything shakes. You rock about in your prison, repeatedly smashing into the walls as your container sways back and forth in its sudden ascent. After a minute, your climb comes to a shrieking halt, only to move sideways, and then you DROP

The impact smashes you into the ceiling of your coffin, and were it not for the water swirling through your lungs you'd cry.

You can very faintly hear voices through the walls surrounding you, even with sound distorted by the water, and it drives you to frantically bang a fist against the ceiling. There's shouting in response, and you hear the sound of flames. After what feels like an agonizingly large amount of time, the roof slides off.

Pure, blinding light stabs into your eyes as you lurch upward and claw your way free from the watery grave. You pull yourself over the side, and tumble straight into the sand, face-first. You barely manage to prop yourself up before noisily retching water all over the beach below.

"Gods above, how long was she in there?" A feminine voice wonders, awe in her tone.

You wipe your mouth off and stand on shaky legs, bones creaking as you take in your first breath of fresh air in a long, long time. It feels incredible, and you almost break down right there from the joy of it.

The wind bites at your wet, bare skin, dampening that bit of elation. You shiver, wrapping your arms around yourself to at least try and stave off the cold, and casting a glance downwards reveals why the breeze affects you so. What you're sure was originally an elaborate ensemble has rotted away, leaving you nothing but a few paltry scraps to cover yourself with. You look around, only now taking in the small group of jumpsuit-clad women a short distance away from you, their eyes politely averted. The varying shades of blue hair hint as to their race, but now that you think about it, you've no idea what kind of youkai they ar-

'Kappa,' your mind helpfully supplies, placing a name to the people ahead of you. The title sends an intense unease rippling through your body, but you can't place a finger as to why.

Their apparent boss, a girl with blue twintails and a green cap, turns to face them and starts angrily waving an unlit blowtorch at the crowd.

"Geez, what are you standing around for?" She barks, gesturing towards the small camp behind their party. "Get her some clothes already! I'm sure someone's got something to spare!"

One of the group darts off to the small camp as the apparent boss turns back to face you, an uncertain look on her face. She tosses the tool over her shoulder, and another kappa snatches it right out of the air.

"By the Dragon, you look like hell warmed over." She states, eyebrows risen. Your eyes are inexorably drawn to your recently-escaped... home, for lack of a better word.

It's a black metal coffin, a rough five feet in length and two feet in height, so no wonder it was so cramped in there. A staggering number of chains lie around it, presumably cut loose by the kappa mob's tools. Behind it lies the lake you were so recently dragged from, and on the shore is a large machine with a metal crane that terminates in a claw hovering a good twenty feet overhead. You assume that thing was what hauled you free in the first place, and-

They beat you, again and again and again, with wrenches and hammers and maces, and you were so weak that when they locked you in that tomb you were coughing up blood

The memory comes and goes so quickly that you fall to your knees in shock. You whine loudly as you clutch at your head and push in, trying to suppress the pressure that makes your brain feel like it's about to burst.

"Oh, boy." The kappa boss groans, and she gingerly steps closer to you. The moment she moves, a blind and unyielding terror pierces your heart. You skitter back on instinct, your eyes wide and your breath coming in ragged gasps.

"Whoa, hey, hold on! I want to help, okay?" She says, raising her hands in a placating fashion. You just back up even more, until your hand touches down in the lake's water. You freeze as if you'd stepped on a landmine, and the kappa takes the opportunity to carefully close the distance.

Your mouth works open, shut, open, but you can't force anything out save for a pitiful whimper.

She's right in front of you now, kneeling down to look you eye to eye. Your eyes are drawn towards the golden key that dangles around her neck, even as she reaches out to touch you

They burned and smashed and cut, leaving you bleeding and broken and dead but it wouldn't ever be enough to really kill you, oh no, because of course you'd always come back, every single goddamn time, since for some reason youkai just don't stay dead that easy, and they'd always be ready to do more, and it would never fucking end

The kappa girl wraps her arms around you in a tight hug, breaking you free from that nightmarish vision. You still shake like a leaf in a hurricane, but her grip on you feels... nice.

"Shh, it'll be okay. Everything's all right now." She whispers, gently stroking your waterlogged hair as you slump against her.

Tears start streaming down your face...

-----

[X] ...and you reach for her neck, certain that this is all a lie.

[X] ...and you shove her away, your fear urging you to escape while you still can.

[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.

>> No. 164282
[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.

For future reference: stance on write-ins?
>> No. 164284
>>164282

If you come up with something clever, go nuts.
>> No. 164285
[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.
Best option.
>> No. 164289
[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.
Because even, apparently immortal, youkai sometimes need a shoulder to cry on.
>> No. 164290
>and you reach for her neck
So we vampire youkai now?

[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.

I wouldn't advise doing two CYOAs or more at the same time. They tend to experience a drop in quality or be left abandoned over extended periods of time. But if you're confident enough you can keep the pace, go ahead. I for one be keeping an eye in this new proyect of yours.
>> No. 164292
[x] Cry like a little baby

I'm wondering if the Kappa trapped us in that coffin, what with the mention of wrenches and such, or if its just a natural fear of something more powerful.
>> No. 164293
>>164290
I think it was meant to imply choking/crushing/twisting/generally trying to cause serious injury to a relatively fragile part of the body.

But since all we know is that the main character is a female youkai, we can't rule out vampirism yet.
>> No. 164294
File 135765981619.jpg - (69.03KB , 1018x370 , HUTTAH.jpg ) [iqdb]
164294
>>164290

Oh, boy, don't I know it? I'm really convinced this is a bad idea, but at the same time the idea kept gnawing at me, and I had to write something out.

This story's partially an experiment to see if I can go without spiraling into several thousand words per update, partially something for me to unwind from the aforementioned thousands of words per STALKER update, and a bit of something that just got stuck in my head and wouldn't quit.

Funnily enough, this started as a story where the MC was this horror of an alien... thing, getting released from a sealed box by different touhous entirely, and all the options were varieties of KILL. It morphed over into this both because I both thought it worked better and also writing alien viewpoints turned out to be a real bitch.

I might still write a /short/ on the original concept, actually. It was basically a YOU ARE AN XCOM CHRYSALID story, which I think would be really fun in a horrible, eviscerating all the touhous, kind of way.

>>164293

It's not really a spoiler for me to say it's less bloodsucking and more pic related.

Also, if the MC was a vampire, this scene either would be set at night or she'd be bursting into flames instead of being paralyzed by massive trauma.

>>164292

All I know is my gut says maybe.
>> No. 164295
>>164294
Not the same guy, but I'm pretty sure Touhou vampires are only weakened in sunlight rather than incinerated.

Also, I now have the mental image of Alucard (as in Hellsing: The Dawn) as our MC. This can only end well.
>> No. 164296
File 135766675883.jpg - (11.50KB , 176x137 , jesus christ how horrifying cirno.jpg ) [iqdb]
164296
>>164294

>It was basically a YOU ARE AN XCOM CHRYSALID story, which I think would be really fun in a horrible, eviscerating all the touhous, kind of way.

Pic related.

[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.
>> No. 164300
[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.

PTSD option GO!!!
>> No. 164305
[x] ...and you reach for her neck, certain that this is all a lie.

Soft hugs will not quash our deep-rooted terror!
>> No. 164306
[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.
>> No. 164307
[X] ...and you break down sobbing, your newfound safety too much to truly comprehend.

>>164280
Looks like a newbie mistake; as they're prone to overestimating what they can do. Even vets make this mistake, often resulting in tons of dropped stories at an astounding rate.
>> No. 164309
[X] ...and you shove her away, your fear urging you to escape while you still can.

An opportunity to display my hatred of Nitori while staying in character? Don't mind if I do.
>> No. 164312
File 135770789199.jpg - (650.82KB , 1280x1024 , 6a7f6f1c1bfc4810644128c9dc0a21bc.jpg ) [iqdb]
164312
Thoughts of violence race through your head, of you reaching up and snapping this girl's neck like a twig, because this can't actually be right, can it? She's faking this, lying to you, and when you let your guard down they'll grab you and they'll do even worse to you than what happened before and that's not something you can take, not again.

Failing that, you could run, and while they could give chase you know kappa aren't at home in the woods, and you could easily lose them before they could follow through on whatever schemes they had planned for you.

The gentle brushing of fingers against the back of your neck freezes those thoughts in place. And, just like that, the anger and hatred and terror melt away, leaving only a deep, deep weariness. You don't even bother trying to stop the waterworks from pouring as you hug her back, sobs wracking your whole body. She bears your tears with remarkable grace, and you just keep crying.

And crying.

And crying.

Eventually, your supply of tears taps out. You take a shuddering few breaths of air and carefully pull free from the embrace. You immediately recoil as the girl, free from your hold, starts to wheeze for air.

"Aaaaagh." She gasps, greedily gulping down oxygen. You cover your mouth, aghast at your lack of control, but her coughing subsides after she manages to get a few good mouthfuls of air.

"I think you'd have compacted me if you hugged any harder." She wryly admits, though she doesn't really seem mad about it.

"I'm sorry." You rasp out, voice hoarse from ages of disuse. She blinks in surprise.

"So you can talk!" She says, triumph coloring her tone. You nod in reply, unwilling to put your vocal chords through too much of a workout right off the bat

"Well, that's half the battle right there!" She declares, clasping her hands together and giving you a confident grin. "Anyway, name's Nitori! Now I just need yours and we are golden."

Your brows furrow as you sift through your memories, but you come up dry. You shrug helplessly and give her a rueful look. She frowns, but her expression softens when another breeze of wind causes you to tremble.

"Well, I guess we can work on that later." She muses, glancing down at your state of undress. She looks over her shoulder and waves at the mob as they wander around. "Yo, Rika? What's the holdup?"

"You ain't the one who had to sort through all of the laundry, okay?" 'Rika' calls back as she pounds across the ground at an astounding rate, a jumpsuit balled up in her arms. She lobs the garment with surprising accuracy, and Nitori snatches it out of the air. She stands and offers you her free hand, and she pulls you to your feet when you accept.

"You should be able to get a bit of privacy back in the woods." She tells you as she pushes the bundle into your arms, and you nod. Casting a look around the camp, a pressing question comes to mind.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" You ask, tilting your head. She scratches the back of her head as she thinks on that.

"Well, Kana got it into her head to go search for underwater treasure." She says, jerking a thumb at a kappa with her eyes obscured by a pair of goggles. "So I figured why not, yeah? And it lead to us getting you-" She pokes you on the nose for emphasis here. "outta the drink, so I guess that we succeeded. Not in a riches and glory way, sure, but I don't think you're complaining! Eh?"

"...Excuse me." You whisper, and sidle past her. She shrugs and adjusts her cap as you go.

You trot past the curious eyes of the other kappa and head into the treeline, hoping for a bit of solitude. The trees loom overhead, giants watching over a world of insects, and after a minute of travel you come to a halt in a grove. Sunlight streams down from above, filtered through the branches above, and it lends a calming atmosphere to the area. You quickly strip the tattered rags from your flesh and unfold the jumpsuit, looking the blue garment over with a speculative eye. It's a quality piece of clothing, so you waste no time in putting it on. Once you zip up the front it fits very nicely, and you make a sound of approval.

As you sweep your eyes over the clearing, you pause on one tree that has a roughly man-shaped indentation on its trunk. A puzzled noise escapes your throat, and you gently trod over. You run your hand over the wound, the contours strangely... familiar.

You'd paused for just a moment to take in the beauty of your surroundings when they came for you from the underbrush, youkai with blades and clubs and tools in their hands, and then the first came at you and you crushed the life from him, but the second one grabbed you and smashed you into that tree, splinters flying. She left herself open and you reached out and snapped her neck like a pencil, but there were so many and they swarmed you


"Ghk!" You choke, the memory having shot by in a flash. You jerk away from the tree and stumble, your vision a haze of red and black, twisting the grove and giving it a nightmarish quality. You could swear you see movement darting between the shadows, and a peal of dark laughter drives you towards the center of the clearing and they're coming for you and it's going to happen again

Oh, God, they're charging, hundreds of dark, shapeless monsters and they're coming for you and you run

you run as fast as you possibly can, scraping your feet on rocks and branches but you don't care because anything's worth it to just get away from the dark woods closing in around you, reaching out with bloody limbs to grab and suffocate you and you wonder how you could ever have found it peaceful with this ugliness lurking just out of sight

you clear the forest at a mad dash, and the kappa base is right ahead and you're almost there when you trip and hit earth and then they catch you, crawling all over you stabbing and cutting and clawing and biting and it hurts and you need to

BREATHE


You shudder as you inhale precious, precious oxygen, curled up in a ball with your face in the dirt. Sweat coats you as if you'd come down with fever, and water drips into the earth as you sob, a seemingly inexhaustible supply of tears running down your face and blurring your vision.

The fear slowly, gradually subsides and after a few minutes spent breathing in and out you roll over onto your back, the better to stare up at the blue sky. Birds and insects flit around with nary a care in the world, and a part of you envies their simple existence.

You wipe your face on a sleeve, trying to rid yourself of all the stickiness and dirt clinging to you. After that, you give yourself few moments more to watch the skies before you clamber up to a sitting position. After you dust off any traces of dirt with your hands, you're able to watch as the kappa tool around in their camp, completely unaware of your return as they inspect the coffin and chat amongst themselves. You take the opportunity to try and pull your thoughts together.

-----

[X] After all that you've gone through, you think you've earned a nice rest here. It's better than heading out and possibly triggering even more of those... visions? Flashbacks? Hallucinations? Whatever they are, you've had enough for now.

[X] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that you alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.

[X] Skulk away quietly. You want some distance on them by the time they realize you're gone.

[X] Write-in?
>> No. 164313
[x] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that you alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.
>> No. 164314
[X] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that you alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.

Should also ask for general information and possibly a map.
>> No. 164315
File 135770953658.jpg - (236.02KB , 700x525 , damnation.jpg ) [iqdb]
164315
>for that you alone you're

i proofread everything else and that slips pass me in the choice text.

it's not even that bad a typo, but still.
>> No. 164316
[x]Thank them for their help and ask if you can stay for a while while you try to get these visions under control.
>> No. 164317
[X] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.

I'd like the mood to get a bit cheerier... somewhere not so near the goddamn water. Hydrophobia go!
>> No. 164318
[X] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that you alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.

Yeah, asking them for info is a good idea. Who knows how long we were locked in there.
>> No. 164319
[X] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that you alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.

Ditto about asking for info.

It's not a huge mistake, but it left me in stitches for a few seconds. If MC already dropped all her tears when she cried on Nitori's shoulder, how could she cry a river again when she had the flashback later? If we're going to cry so much, we'd better have water nearby so we don't die of dehydratation.

Also, Rika and Kana... did you just turn the tank engineer and the maid poltergeist from PC-98 into kappas, or they're coincidental namesakes?
>> No. 164323
[X] Thank them for their help and leave. They freed you, and for that alone you're eternally grateful, but staying here just makes you feel uneasy.

And another sub-vote for asking for info before leaving.
>> No. 164328
>>164319

Aha, there's an explanation! Her/your/our power is enhanced tear generation.

yeah that's pretty weaksauce i know

Also, yes, the names were coincidental. I just grabbed two that sounded nice off the top of my head and rolled with 'em.
>> No. 164330
[X] After all that you've gone through, you think you've earned a nice rest here. It's better than heading out and possibly triggering even more of those... visions? Flashbacks? Hallucinations? Whatever they are, you've had enough for now.

It may be pissing against the tide but I think sticking around and resting some before charging forward wouldn't be a bad idea; that and stopping to smell the roses
>> No. 164332
[X] After all that you've gone through, you think you've earned a nice rest here. It's better than heading out and possibly triggering even more of those... visions? Flashbacks? Hallucinations? Whatever they are, you've had enough for now.
>> No. 164338
[N] After all that you've gone through, you think you've earned a nice rest here. It's better than heading out and possibly triggering even more of those... visions? Flashbacks? Hallucinations? Whatever they are, you've had enough for now.

Fuck the tide. We are in no condition to be wandering around.
>> No. 164342
Votes will be called around five hours from now, so anyone who hasn't voted oughta, and soon!
>> No. 164344
[X] After all that you've gone through, you think you've earned a nice rest here. It's better than heading out and possibly triggering even more of those... visions? Flashbacks? Hallucinations? Whatever they are, you've had enough for now.

Now is not the time to be wandering off to our doom. We should at least try to figure out what we can do besides cry a lot and bear-hug little girls.
>> No. 164350
Course of action set for saying goodbye and getting the hell outta dodge, with a side-order of grilling the kappa on current events before you set out.
>> No. 164920
updates?