- [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 66130)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 152297788153.jpg - (9.39KB, 259x194, Orange-forest-creativity-16401082-259-194.jpg) [iqdb]
66130 No. 66130
Sipping her tea, Yukari watches the beauty of nature in fall.
Using a gap as a chair, she looks over the ocean of orange trees "Ah this is the life."
She relaxes until she finishes her green tea "Such a shame that this will end earlier than usual."
She says frowning remembering the little incident with Yukako and remembering the pain delivered from Reimu from her fight with her.
'Did those needles have to be so big?'
She sighs "Oh well." As she leans into the gap but stops when she felt something... off.
Then she understands, an outsider is going through the Great Hakurei Barrier. What is strange though is that the outsider didn't leave a hole, which while thankful, confuses Yukari on how they didn't leave a mess.
She opens a gap to view this outsider "Well would you look at that." she says to herself.
This outsider is dressed like a hiker, brown coat, bright-blue jeans and a pack back probably filled with a variety of goodies.
The outsider looks rather frail as if a simple breeze can knock them over! They are wearing small round glasses showing blue eyes. Black hair tied back to a pony-tail to keep it from blocking their view.
They look around the area before walking as if already knowing where to go.
"Well this is strange, how did they enter Gensokyo?" The way the outsider enter was like Gensokyo was just a part of the outside world. Perhaps a hole in the barrier? She gaps in the area after the outsider left looking for any holes, but found none.
Yukari scans the area looking for her shikigami, but did not find her "Ran wasn't able to detect it... stupid fox." shaking her head sighing.

What will you do?
57posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Expand all images
>> No. 66580
[x] Give Yukari a chance
I trust my 3rd favorite 2hu
>> No. 66582
[x] Give Yukari a chance

Everyone gets one.
>> No. 66583
Voting is closed. Thank you for voting!
>> No. 66617
File 153304869556.jpg - (47.73KB, 600x600, milano-bed-zanotta-1_m.jpg) [iqdb]
66617
Jesse stirs on the bed, slowly waking up to the sound of someone talking. They soon realize their coat is missing from their body only leaving their yellow shirt covering the upper body. After getting off of the bed, Jesse looks out of the window to see it's night time with no people in sight. Then they hear the door open.

"Oh, you're awake." Jesse didn't recognize the voice

Jesse turns toward the door to see a man who's hair is completely grey and wrinkle face showing fatigue.

'he looks like around Father's age.' Jesse thought

"Excuse me, but where am I?" Jesse bows speaking in Japanese for the first time

"You're in the Villages clinic, Keine brought you and one of her students in." the doctor says

Jesse rushes towards the doctor "Is Kenji alright!?" they shout

The doctor steps back, surprised by the outburst.

"He's asleep, but other then that, We're expecting a full recovery for him," he says

The tension inside Jesse released and he makes a sigh of relief

"Thank you for telling me," they say

"You're welcome, now if you excuse me there are other patients I need to see," he says before closing the door.

Jesse continues to explore the room and found their book-bag in one of the corners.

'Keine must have dropped it here for me.'

They dig through their belonging and found what they were looking for. A notebook and a pencil. Jesse went back to their bed and sit on it with their back against the wall.

Day 1

Two weeks have passed since Mom and Dad disappear. On the last day, I woke up to find Mom's portal in the living room with a single note on the table. Gensokyo. Mom and Dad told me many times about the place, how dangerous it is or the monsters in it, but they never explain further.

I knew it would be dangerous coming here, but... twice my life was in danger and I honestly thought I was going to... die.'

Jesse couldn't help but shiver. Their body slowly being crushed is still in their mind.

I can't help, but worry about them. Where are they? Why did Mom create the portal? Are they in danger? And if they are... what can I do? My power can't help me in a fight!

"Damnit." Jesse whispers

Jesse takes a deep breath

And now there are Keine's missing students... Maybe there is a connection? Yukari, while strange and extremely uncaring about personal space, I feel like she is trying to help in her own strange (Yokai?) way and Keine is definitely trustful, but I'm worried how she is doing right now.

I need to come up with a plan! I don't... feel the evil? Nearby. I think the rest of the students are outside the village somewhere and I think Keine will be the only person that can help me and keep me safe, but what if I can't find her? ...Will I have to find the students by myself?

I don't want to find out what happens if the infection continues to grow, it could be like a zombie infection or something! And what if there suffering? In the mind-link world, I saw some sort of bud pumping something into Kenji. I can't just sit back while knowing I can help! Maybe I should ask Kenji what it was like being infected tomorrow... They are also the only possible connection to my family. It's dangerous and I might... really die, but what else can I do?

Jesse closes the notebook sighing. They look out the window before going back asleep.

[] Wait for Keine
[] Continue without her
or
[]Write in if you have a plan
>> No. 66618
[x] Wait for Keine
>> No. 66619
[x] Wait for Keine

He did say his power won't help him so...
>> No. 66622
Voting is closed! Thank you for voting.
>> No. 66670
File 153421855370.jpg - (48.96KB, 627x700, b9beb89f0316392b6f74d9e4b49ad0fd-700.jpg) [iqdb]
66670
The night has ended and now comes the sun bringing its glorious light to the land of illusions driving away any nocturnal yokai back to where they came. A glimmer of light pierces through the window hitting Jesse's eyelid, waking them up. They slowly rise from their bed rubbing the sand away from their eyes. The door opens with a nurse carrying miso soup on a tray

"Hello! Here's your breakfast!" She says in Japanese

"...Thank you" They say taking it from her hand

"Oh! I didn't know you could speak Japanese." She says surprise

"Ah, well, you never know until you find out right?" They joke

"Very true! Oh dear! Where is my manner? I'll let you eat your breakfast." She says just as she is about to leave

"Before you go, could you tell me where Kenji is resting?" They ask

"Why he's in the room next to yours on the right, but make sure to eat first!" She orders

"I will." They say

As the nurse left, Jesse begins to eat the miso soup noting that the meat in the soup tastes like chicken

'Are their farm animals in this place?' they thought

After finishing their breakfast, Jesse places the tray on the drawer next to the bed and did a few stretches before leaving their room. Heading to the right, Jesse opens the door to find the small boy already up.

"..." Although Jesse didn't know how to start the conversation

"Hello," fortunately Kenji did

"Uh, hi... how are you feeling?" They ask

"I'm good, what about you?" He asks

"Yeah, I'm good, um, my name is Jesse Jane Jackson." they walk towards Kenji extending their hand

"What are you doing?" He stares at Jesse's hand

"Oops, I was trying to shake your hand." They bow instead

"...My name is Kenji Kimura." Kenji says

"Hello Mr. Kimura, is it alright to ask you a question?" Jesse asks

"Sure." He smiles

"Thank you, now, can you tell me if you remember anything before waking up here?" They ask

Kenji crosses his arms trying to think back on what happened.

"I was in school, we were learning about history, but Keine-Sensei forgot to bring the textbooks." He says

"After that..." Kenji scratch his head

"Yes?" Jesse inquires

"I don't remember. It's weird, but my head feels fuzzy kinda like a dream." He shrugs

"I see, thank you for helping me Mr. Kimura, I will let you rest." Jesse bows

"Ooh! I remember something!" Keine grabs Jesse's arm

"What is it?" They ask

"I remember something about cherry blossoms... but I don't if it's important." He mentions

"It is. Do you remember anything else?" Jesse asks

Kenji shakes his head

"Alright then, I'll be leaving now." Jesse gives a short wave

"Bye Je...jisse? Gesse?" Kenji fumbles

Jesse couldn't help but chuckle "Try saying 'J' it's my nickname." They say

"J? J, Bye J!" Kenji waves goodbye

Jesse exits the room and scratches their head, wondering what to do next. Then, they hear a familiar voice.

"Thank goodness you're okay Jesse," Keine says sounding a bit tired

Jesse looks down the hall to see the teacher. Keine did not look in her best condition, her hair is a mess, but oddly enough she still looks like she can take on the day

"Forgive me for leaving you alone with Kenji, I was so scared, I just had to get help," she says bowing

Jesse says nothing unsure how to tell Keine that they can speak her language now. But Keine mistook the look of Jesse's face.

"Ah, sorry how are you feeling?" she says now in her broken English

"Good," Jesse says in Japanese

Keine's eyes were as wide as a fish, with her mouth slightly open.

"How are you...?" Keine couldn't finish her sentence

Jesse opens their mouth to answer the question, but nothing came out. They try to remember who gave them their new abilities, but it came blank. They then try to remember what the person was, but it became blank again. Did they even remember if the person was a boy or a girl?

"...I'm not sure. It's strange, but I can't remember who." They say

"Someone gave you the knowledge?" She asks

"Yeah, but it feels like I always knew how to speak Japanese." They say

"I see, Jesse, can you wait here while I check on Kenji?" She asks

"Sure," They step aside

As Keine enters Kenji's room, Jesse is left alone with their thoughts.

'Why can't I remember?' They scratch their head

After a couple of minutes pass, Keine exits Kenji's room with a smile on her face now knowing one of her students is safe.

"I'm sorry Ms. Kamishirasawa, but I just can't remember who gave me the power." They say

"That's alright Jesse, now, can you tell me what happened when I left you with Kenji?" She asks

"Oh, that? Well while you were gone... I thought of mind-linking with Kenji." They answer

"Okay, but why did you do that?" She tilts her head

"I wanted to see if his mind was in danger or something." They say

"What did you find?" She asks

"I saw Kenji entangle by a bud against a cherry blossom." They recall

"A cherry blossom!?" She repeats to herself

"Is there something wrong Ms. Kamishirasawa?" Jesse asks

"...I think I know who is behind the kidnapping." Keine says

"Re-really!? Who is it?" They stammer

"You weren't probably here at the time, but there was an incident that also involved a certain cherry tree." She explains

"What happen?" They ask

"I don't know much of it, but I know the culprit lives in the Netherworld." She says

"What's that?" They ask

"It's where the dead lives." She says

"What?" Jesse says again

Keine couldn't but chuckle "I know that it sounds strange, but it's real."

"...Okay, so when will we go?" They ask

"I'm sorry Jesse, but you will have to stay this time." Keine orders

"But what if the rest of the students are there? I can cure them like with Kenji." They point out

"I know and I am extremely grateful for what you did, but the Netherworld is dangerous for humans. The place is full of ghosts that contain so much negative energy that it can kill you!"

Jesse says nothing, the feeling of being useless looms over them. They clench their hands unsure what to do.

"...Well, what am I suppose to do?" They look up to Keine

Keine begins to ponder

"How about this? While I face the suspect, you can continue the search for my students. I know you have been able to see what's happening to them. Maybe then you can see something I didn't." She suggests

"It's also possible there somewhere else besides the village," Jesse says unsure how to tell Keine of their other ability

"If that's the case, you should check on a girl name Reimu Hakurei, she is the Miko whose job is to help the humans." She says

"I can do that." They smile

"Good, be safe Jesse." She smiles back

"You too."



[] Find the Miko

[]Explore the Village (again) with your new abilities
>> No. 66671
[x] Find the Miko
>> No. 66690
Voting closed! Thanks for voting!
>> No. 66748
File 153602864561.jpg - (55.77KB, 1024x576, 589079820d4744f162db825cf975cce0c619dbdc_hq.jpg) [iqdb]
66748
After giving the direction to the shrine, Keine took off to face the possible suspect in the kidnapping. Jesse puts on their jacket and brought their book bag with them for the travel ahead. As they left the clinic, it felt like seeing a whole new world. They understood the signs and what the people were saying perfectly. Jesse couldn't help but smile.

Jesse follows the road to the shrine, although it seemed like no one kept it clean for a long time. Leaves cover a good portion of the road with some branches as well. There is even a fallen tree that Jesse had to climb over to continue the journey.

During the travel, Jesse notices something off. While they were traveling they would hear the leaves crunching from below their shoes, but it sounds like there is more than they are stepping on. They stop and so does the noise, but before they even move again, they heard the crunching noise from behind.

They quickly turn around but saw nothing and the noise is coming closer than before. Images of being chased and being closed to death fill Jesse mind. As they were about to run, they begin to hear whispers.

“Hello?” Jesse calls out, but no one responds

“Boo!” A familiar voice whispers to their ear

Jesse yelps, jumping in the air by surprise. They quickly turn around to see who the prankster is.

“Ran!?” They shout

“Hello J! It’s good to see you again.” The kitsune chuckles

“…It’s nice to see you too, but what was that for?” Jesse asks slightly annoyed

“Oh, nothing, just my way of saying hello to you.” She smiles

“What a strange way of greeting a person.” They retort

“Is it? It’s rather normal if you ask other youkais.” She says now following Jesse

They walked in silence for a few moments, with Jesse unsure what to talk about and Ran possibly just enjoys the silence

“If it’s okay to ask R- Ms. Ran, is there something you need?” Jesse finally speaks

“A mind at peace is all I require from you.” She says

“All I have to do is stay calm?” They ask

“Exactly, it’s difficult to listen if your mind is in shambles.” She says

“Okay, so what did you want to tell me?” Jesse asks

“Tell me J, do you know how to survive?” She asks

“Well, me and my family would go camping in the forest for vacation, so I know how to deal with wild animals and how to ration my foods.” They say

“That’s not what I meant, I want to know if you can handle an intelligent youkai.” She explains

“Oh, um, be friendly with it?” They say

“Close, but no, you have to show respect to them.” She says

“Isn’t that the same thing?” They ask

“Some youkais want friendship, but all desire respect. They are your elders after all.”

“I see, is there anything else I should know?” Jesse asks

“Hmm, exactly how much do you know about youkais?” Ran asks

“They eat meat and, uh, that’s it.” They answer shifting uncomfortably

“Really?” Ran raises an eyebrow

“Yeah, every time I ask my parents about Gensokyo they seem… sad.” They say

“And?” She persists

“They just say it’s dangerous and I don’t have to worry.” They continue

Ran says nothing for a moment

“Ms. Ran is it okay if I ask you questions?” Jesse asks nervously

“…Sure,” She says

“It's been bothering me for a while, but how many youkais are there?” They ask

“More than there are humans.” She says

“And most of the humans live in that village?” Jesse points at the other side of the road

Ran sighs “Yes.”

A pregnant silence fills the air

“You know, now I feel a little silly.” Ran finally speaks

Jesse says nothing

“When we first met, you mention about older youkais liking cooked meat more than raw meat.” She says

“Which means you did research on youkais, didn’t you?” Her pupils slit vertically

“…I-I did.” They say

“I know that they eat humans, but how!?” Jesse turns around to see Ran but is taken back by how her pupil looks, they breath grows heavy

Ran cocks her head “How?”

“H-How the people are dress… from how the buildings look, that village is old maybe even before my parent were even born.” They say

“So… how are there still humans left M-Ms. Ran!?” Their heart starts to beat faster

Ran says nothing looking at Jesse directly to their shaking eyes

She gives a stoic look “Your mother is not the only one who can move between here and earth.”

“That’s impossible! Only Mom can do tha…” They remember Ran ability

“You use the gaps to kidnapped people a-and…” implications begin to form in their head

Their hands begin to shake “Y-you and al-ll of the youkais e-e-e-e” They couldn’t finish the line

“We did.” Ran answer

Jesse mind goes blank, then they press the clips that kept the book-bag attach to them off. They ran as fast as they could almost trip themselves several times unable to think straight. Their mind became their greatest enemy, images of Ran or possibly even Keine killing and eating humans flood their mind. The images made them run faster than they ever did in their entire life.

After running for what feels like a mile, Jesse stops to take a few breathes leaning against a tree

“A-All those mm-missing p-people!?” They stammer tears flowing freely from their eyes

They wipe the tears from their eye

They look back only to see Ran standing a few feet away from them holding their book bag

They were unsure if they made any progress or simply went through a gap without realizing it. But something felt off to them, Ran’s face did not show the face of a killer, but someone… curious, as if wanting to see their reaction.

Jesse didn’t know what to say. They let the first thing they thought of go first

“You could have and still can kill me, but you didn’t… Why?” They say shaking

But Ran did not say anything, she only took a step forward causing Jesse to take a step back.

’Unless you didn’t want to.’ They thought, but immediately dispel it from their mind

’She could be playing with me! Want to see my face before she kills me!’ Their breath became heavy again

Ran did not take another step, she only stood in the same spot, waiting for something.

’Maybe because… she’s f-full?’ They heard their heart thumping faster

Regaining stamina, Jesse could make a run for it, Ran doesn’t want to chase, but that would mean leaving their book-bag behind with her.

’Do I trust this… thing not to eat me?’

’Are they just animals…? No! Animals aren’t this intelligent!’

Then they concluded

’Is this what a youkai is? A murderer?’

The thought alone made Jesse nauseous. The thought of human flesh being consumed fills their mind.

’She saved me and is keeping me safe though… but…’

’I… I…’



[] ‘I trust Ran.’

[] ‘Keep running, be thankful she’s been full.’
>> No. 66749
[x] ‘I trust Ran.’

Only one option? Oh, well.
>> No. 66755
Voting is closed. Thank you for voting!
>> No. 66824
File 153670870522.jpg - (29.43KB, 630x630, 594144_1.jpg) [iqdb]
66824
Jesse gulps and stands straight up. They took their first step towards Ran, next take another, but a slower step.

’What will I say to her?’ Jesse thoughts ’What can I say to her? How do I even talk to a murderer!?’

They falter but, continue walking with the distance closing each step. Ran also took a step forward surprising Jesse from taking another step. She is still stoic, but her pupils are now rounder than before. Jesse regains their composure and continues their slow walk.

’Oh god, what if I made her mad? Did she was offended that I started running?’

Then without realizing it, Jesse sank to the ground.

“Huh!?” They yelp

Looking down they saw a gap instead of their feet. As they try to raise foot up, the gap rises to their waist and tightens. Jesse now couldn’t do anything but float as Ran continues to get closer. They begin to panic again, trying to grab the outline of the gap, but couldn’t make it budge at all.

“Ran!?” Jesse calls out

“Yes J?” Ran finally speaks

“I didn’t mean to make you angry!” They quickly say

Ran gives a confused look “Angry?” She chuckles “I’m actually happy of you Jesse.” She smiles

“…What?” They ask

The kitsune is within arm’s length of Jesse “What you did was natural after finding out how we get our food, in fact, I would have been surprised if you haven’t run.”

Jesse slightly calm down, but now is confuse of Ran’s action

“And what are you proud of?” They ask

“You came back, knowing full well of what I have done, you still trust me.” She answers

“Then what is the gap for?” It felt strange to Jesse, it’s like their legs are hanging in the air

“To keep you still,” She says

“F-For what?” They ask

“While I am happy, you’ve made a terrible choice Jesse.” She says

Jesse didn’t know what to say, but fear creeps on their back.

“You’ve panicked, you let your fear take control of you instead of the other way around.”

“You said it was natural!” They shout

“It is, but don’t worry this will be quick.” She says grabbing Jesse’s left hand

“W-Wait!” They plead, but it is too late

Ran inhale then blew on Jesse’s hand, with blue fire coming out of her mouth. At first, it did nothing, it pasts through Jesse's hands, but then it starts to burn from the inside. The fire is burning the nerves on the back of their left hand. Jesse yells in agony pleading for Ran to stop, but she didn’t. Due to the magical properties of the fire, Jesse still felt the excruciating pain of their hand on fire. Ran stops breathing fire and place a gap over Jesse’s now burnt hand. She places her index finger on the gap and traces a symbol over Jesse’s hand.

After finishing her work, Ran close the gap on Jesse, leaving behind a scar. Jesse screams stop now just sobbing from the pain.

“This is for your own good Jesse, remember this moment for this is what happen when you let your fear overrun you.” She says

The final words Jesse hears before falling unconscious.
>> No. 66825
File 153670919980.jpg - (11.37KB, 208x243, images.jpg) [iqdb]
66825
Evil, the first thought that enters Jesse’s mind after waking up. Rising from the futon, Jesse looks around the room. The room itself is rather empty, beside the futon, it has a table with a blanket over it and the seats seem to be just pillows. Light comes through the open front door showing a young girl around their age with black hair wearing a red-white clothing brushing the stone tiles with a broom.

Jesse tries to stand up by using their left hand, they hiss in pain from the burning sensation from the hand and instead use their right hand. After getting up, they check their left hand to see it all bandaged up.

“So, you’re up and awake, are you?” The girl calls out

Jesse looks up from their hand to see the girl limping using the broom as a support,

“Ah, you must be the Miko.” Jesse bows

“Reimu Hakurei and you’re J, right?” She asks

“Yes, but how do you know my nickname?” They
ask

“The fox told me about you. Weird seeing an outsider capable of using magic.” She says walking to another room in the house

“I see…” Jesse says

“Tea?” Reimu asks as she brought a pot

“Oh sure. Here let me carry this for you.”
Jesse walks toward Reimu who pass the pot to them

“Thanks, set it on the table, will you? I’ll get the cups” She smiles

Jesse did as she said and place the pot on the table. As they wait for Reimu to get the cups, they focus on the evil smothering the air

’Is one of the students here?’

A sound of something crashing echoes the house catching Jesse attention

“Reimu?” Jesse calls out

“I’m f-fine.” She stammers

Jesse walks to the room she entered to see leaning against the wall clutching her side

“Reimu! Are you alright?” Jesse swept the shards of the cup with their foot.

“Yeah, I should be.” She says, “Mind lending me a hand?” She asks

“Sure,” They say

Reimu rings her arm around Jesse’s neck as they grab onto her hand and brings their hand around her waist being extra careful not to touch her side. They walk back to the living room as Reimu’s legs shake with each step and set her down on the pillow next to the table.

“Thanks again, ugh!” She felt a sharp pain on her side

“Should I get the cups?” Jesse asks

“Yeah, that would be great.” She says then she sucks her teeth in pain

Jesse walks to the kitchen keeping special attention to the shatter pieces of the cups with the lack of their shoes. They spot a shelf that holds more cups and grabs two. As they were about walk to back to the living room, they spot Reimu’s broom on the floor and pick it up.

Returning to the living room, Jesse places the cups on the table and gave Reimu her broom.
She frowns “Some Miko I am, can’t even carry some cups.”

[] Comfort her

[] Ask about her injuries
>> No. 66857
Since no one voted, I will have to pick. Other than that, if there's something you don't like about the story please tell me! I would like to get better at my writing.
>> No. 66858
File 153704662384.png - (1.03MB, 1000x1436, 4bd028a2d3e8554264e5426d92fd88f4.png) [iqdb]
66858
>>66857
I'll attempt advice.

One thing is that this story tends to lack description. While you don't need to go full purple prose, setting a scene is important for immersion. Things like describing the place people are in at once, or building up descriptions of that place over time if the character has just gotten there. You don't need to describe places every time if it's a place the reader has already become familiar with.

You tend to focus on dialogue a lot, but it comes across as stilted mainly because of "he said" "she said"s. These are important, yes, but cutting them once it's clear who is who can create a much better conversation flow. An example of three characters in a scene.

==
Sanae is nervous. She picks at a thread of her skirt while seated at the table while the two natives observe her wordlessly... for a time, at least.

"I mean," Reimu speaks first, "it's just the first time I've seen an Outsider with green hair."

Marisa nods, squinting at the newcomer. She answers, "Like Yuuka, or the Yama... or Wriggle,"

"Who?"

"Reimu..."

Reimu blinks at her magician friend and shakes her head, "I'm not joking. Is that a fairy?"

"It's like a bug."

"Even less than a fairy."

"Oi."

"U-Um!" their guest finally speaks up. "P-Please don't stare too much..."

They stare.

"Well," Reimu eventually talks again in a half-whisper, "I suppose she is a living god."

"Not that Suwako's a greenie," Marisa replies.
==

It's good to try to interject with small actions and descriptions, but doing it every time makes the conversation hard to read.

At the same time I get an impression the story feels like it's almost rushing given the first point I made that it lacks scene descriptions. You do have a good idea of explaining characters' emotional states, though, and while perhaps you don't need to do it frequently, it's nice to have.

My last point is that you definitely don't wait long enough for votes. I personally don't have any voting troubles on THP but I will sometimes wait a week or more regardless because I want readers to have a chance to consider the update, choices, and their vote. Plus life is busy and THP isn't heavily trafficked. There are times people tell me they missed a vote even after I waited. Sometimes I won't wait long before I write another update, but in those cases I still have gotten a decent number of votes (usually indicating which of the options will PROBABLY win) so I feel it's reasonable. Saying "I didn't get any votes so I'll pick myself" after just four days is too much!

I hope this helps.
>> No. 66859
>>66858
I would add that non-verbal communication is a great thing in general (stares, gestures, glances aside), but perhaps don't overdo it. Also even if you do hit every dialogue line with an additional note of non-verbal communication, it may not need a "he/she/they say".
>> No. 66860
>>66858
Okay, after seeing your advice, I will keep the voting open until the 22nd.

And with writing, cut back on "She/He says" and put a bit more description of the setting

Other than that, thank you for helping me out.
>> No. 66873
I changed my mind on closing the vote, so I'll leave it open until the 23rd since I've been ending the voting too early.
>> No. 66881
[X] Comfort her
>> No. 66905
Voting is closed! Thank you for voting.
>> No. 66952
File 153878904538.jpg - (33.18KB, 500x500, cncn406_01.jpg) [iqdb]
66952
“I think you should take it easy on yourself, especially with those injuries.” Jesse advice

Reimu’s face scrunches “Sounds like what a lazy person would do.” She says

“Well maybe if you weren’t injured.” They point at the kettle “Should I pour the tea?”

The Miko huffs “I’m not that weak.” She grabs the handle of the kettle and carefully lifts it up to pour the tea

She gives the first cup she pours into Jesse “Here.”

Jesse smiles “Thank you.” They sit down on the other side of the table

Reimu shifts awkwardly in her seat before clearing her throat “Uh, no problem.”

As they drink tea in the somewhat peaceful atmosphere, Jesse’s mind begins to wander back to the disturbing discovery on where youkai get their food from. A chill crawl down their back recalling of any time they have seen a missing person report with no traces of where they have gone

’How many people died? How many did Ran eat in her life? What about Keine? She’s a youkai too isn’t she!?’

Jesse’s left hand grew uncomfortably warm, but they ignore it

’Would she really do it? Kill a human?’ Their breathing hastens

Images of Keine devouring humans reappear in Jesse’s mind increasing the heat in their left hand to the point of smokes start to appear. Reimu alarm by the sign calls out for Jesse’s attention, but fail to get an answer.

’Does she only cares about the humans in the village and not the outsiders?’ Their hand starts to fidget due to the heat

“J,” Reimu raises her voice, but Jesse did not respond

’Is she just using me to find the students? Then after I’m no longer of use she would kill me!?’

”Hey J! She shouts catching finally dispelling their panic mind

After coming back to the real world, Jesse hisses in pain from the now unbearable heat sizzling their left hand

They hold their hands up “I-I’m alright! I was just wondering in my head…” They begin to shake their left hand in the air

Their eyes widen in surprise when they see smoke coming from their hand

“Well whatever you’re thinking, quit it.” She orders point the handle of her broom to them

Jesse begins to take deep breaths “S-sorry,” they took a sip of their tea to calm down

Putting the cup down, Jesse begins to take deep breaths trying to dispel the fear clouding their mind. Reimu, on the other hand, didn’t know what to do when someone is in a panic state.

Then an idea pop in her head “Uh try thinking about puppies or something cute!”

The smoke from their hand dissipate, the heat cools down as Jesse calms down

“Sorry I… it’s just…” Jesse wants to tell her what was in their mind, but couldn’t come up with the words

“The youkai diet?” she raises an eyebrow catching Jesse by surprise

“Y-yes, how did you guess?” They ask

“The fox told me.” She says before taking a sip of tea

It took a moment for Jesse to figure it out “Oh you mean Ran?” They ask

Reimu sets her tea down “Yup,” She says

Jesse shifts around their seat looking away “How… do the people in the village live with that?” They ask softly

She sighs “I’d guess that they don’t try to think about it, or maybe they just don’t care?” she shrugs

Jesse riles up “Don’t care? How could they not care when other humans are being eaten!?”

She shrugs again “Some humans can be worse than youkai.” She sips her tea again

“Worse than youkai?” Their shoulder slump unsure what to say

In the now silent room, Reimu continues drinking her tea with Jesse following as well although only out of politeness.

Feeling guilty, Jesse speaks “I didn’t mean to shout like that, sorry…” They bow

Reimu looks at Jesse confuse by their action but sighs “Do you want to know how I handle it?” she asks

Jesse returns to their previous position “Yes,” They say

She leans forward and rests her arm on the table “Alright, you know how humans eat meat right?”

“Yeah, we do it to survive,” Jesse answers back

“Exactly, same rules apply to youkai too, no humans to eat they die.” She explains

“…So, they either starve to death or kill to survive.” Jesse begins to understand a bit slowly

Reimu finishes her tea “Yeah, now I want you to repeat after me.” She waits for Jesse to finish their tea

They set the cup down “What is it?” They ask

The Miko then refill the two cups and grabs her cup “To survival.” She raises her cup towards Jesse

Jesse could only stare

[] “To survival.”

[] Do nothing
>> No. 66953
[x] “To survival."
do as the Miko do
>> No. 66958
[x] “To survival.”

I wonder if that's actually true. I thought they survived on fear not meat.
>> No. 66980
Voting is closed! Thank you for voting.

>>66958
They are some yokai that need to eat human flesh as mention in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, but not all.
>> No. 67132
File 154182246938.jpg - (146.77KB, 450x360, 495743-bigthumbnail.jpg) [iqdb]
67132
“To survival.” Jesse taps Reimu’s cup with theirs

She smiles “Good! Now let’s enjoy the tea till it’s empty.” She sips her tea

Jesse shuffles in their seat “About that Reimu, but I believe one of the students are here.”

Finishing her tea, she pours another “I had a feeling that was the case,” She takes another sip

This catches Jesse’s interest “How did you know?” They begin to drink the tea

Reimu lifts her shirt up to show a horrendous scar on the right side of her abdomen that made Jesse choke on their tea.

They couldn’t believe their eyes, Reimu’s scar compares to her skin is beyond recognition. What is worst being that when Reimu turn to her side, the scar follows all the way to her back. Whatever hit her pierce her body.

"This wound hadn't caused me any trouble until now." She explains

“Oh god Reimu, what happen!? That scar seems bigger than my hand!” Jesse couldn’t help but stare at her wound.

Reimu smirks as she let goes of her shirt “Just an incident because of the main tree,” She grabs her cup gulping down her tea finishing it and exhale “Don't worry, I’m made of tougher stuff than your average human.” She slaps her scar which didn’t seem to affect her too much

‘Now you’re just showing off.’ Jesse couldn’t help but flinch when Reimu perform the questionable action

“I don’t think it’s a good idea hitting that.” They say but were impress by her gut for doing that

The Miko shrugs “As long as nothing bad happens, it was a good idea.”

Jesse couldn’t help, but raise an eyebrow at that statement “I see… Well, we should head out and find the tree.” They stand up and walk over to Reimu

They extend their hand to her “Do you need help standing up?” They ask

Reimu scoffs “I don’t need to be treated like a baby.” She slowly stands by herself with her broom

Jesse stood by just in case she fell “Sorry Reimu, I didn’t mean to be disrespectful it’s just that scar has me concern for you.” They explain

“How come?” She asks walking towards the front door

They follow as well “Well you always seem to be in pain so that makes me worry.” They say

Reimu rolls her eyes “I mean why do you care.” She asks again opening the front door

“Well, my parents also have superpowers which they used in secret to help people.” They explain

Before they left though, Jesse looks back to the living room ‘I guess Reimu’s parents are not here.’

Reimu calls out “Oi J! Your coming or what?”

Jesse follows shortly “Sorry about that, just got distracted.” They say

The front of the shrine contains what seems to be a box for donating on the stair. The shrine itself seem recently clean, which Jesse assume it was Reimu doing. Although what Jesse did find strange is patches of gravel that look layout by a person. On the side of the path is what seem to be a fountain with a ladle sticking out of it which Jesse did not know the use for. At the end of the pathway is two red beams holding up two post that seems to be made to walk through.

“So, you want to be like them?” She closes the door

Jesse looks back to Reimu “Absolutely! I love them very much and inspire to help people as well!” They exclaim realizing that got a little excited

Talking about their parents made Jesse curious about their new ally “What about your parents Reimu? What are they like?” They ask

Reimu stops for a moment and shrugs “Don’t know, I have never seen them in my life.” She walks to the right of her shrine “Hey J, mind taking the lead? I can’t sense the tree.” She looks back but is taken aback by Jesse shock expression

They begin to shift around “I-I didn’t mean to! Uh, sorry!” Jesse bows

Reimu raises an eyebrow “Eh? For what?” She asks

Jesse starts scratching the back of their head “Well, I didn’t mean to remind you something like that.” They explain

“Relax J, I don’t particularly care for them.” She says nonchalantly

Jesse didn’t know how to feel about that “…I see, well who is taking care of you now?” They ask as both children continue to find the tree

Reimu jabs a thumb to herself “Just me,” She says

“Ah… What about friends?” They ask hesitantly

Reimu smiles “Yeah I got one, she’s been with me since we were little kids” She begins to have a sense of nostalgia emitting from her

“What about you J? Got any friends from the outside world?” Reimu asks

“I was homeschooled, so I never really talk to other kids my age.” They say as the duo reach to the back of the shrine

The scenery took Jesse breath away who lived in New York for most of their whole life. They saw a small pond teeming with life from unique plants and animals alike. And just further ahead is a view that made Jesse realize that they were on a tall hill. The gorgeous view shows Gensokyo as a carpet of trees with a single mighty mountain standing proudly above it all.

“This… is beautiful!” Jesse says in amazement
Unfortunately, the serenity of the view is shattered by a pulse of pure evil spreading through the area suddenly with a scream of pain following soon after.

Jesse quickly turns around to find Reimu on the floor clutching her side and the blossom tree that stood behind the shrine that Jesse miss due to being distracted by the view.
Another wave of evil passes through and the Miko’s scream grew louder

They run towards her “Reimu!” Jesse calls out
Now able to reach her, they gently pick her up and carry her like before in the shrine.

She mumbles something, but Jesse couldn’t hear what she said

With haste, Jesse carries Reimu away from the tree, her cries soften now just groans as they return to the front of the shrine.

Reimu begins to squirm “I’m… alright now, you can let go.” She says

“Are you sure?” They ask concern for her well being

She only nods for her answer

Jesse cautiously let go of Reimu making sure she can stand with her broom

“Hey J,” Anger seeping out of her voice “I got a question.” She states

“What is it?” They ask

She turns towards them staring directly to their eye “Ran told me about your power, but what I want to know is can there be more than two people in that world of yours?”

Jesse could tell what she is thinking “I’m not sure really, but do you think that really is a good idea Reimu?” They question now concern what the Miko would do

She snorts “I don’t care even if it was a good idea! I want that tree exterminated!” She shouts in anger

The sudden shouting caught Jesse by surprise “Wha-?! I don’t know if you notice, but I think the closer you are to that tree, the more pain you will be in!” They try to persuade her

“So, what? I should give up because it hurts!?” She punches where her scar is “I couldn’t care any less about this pain!” She punches her side again

Jesse quickly grabs Reimu’s hand to stop her “Reimu please stop hurting yourself!” They plead

This seems to calm her down just a little, but she manages to escape their grasp

“Reimu, we don’t know if my power can do that, even if I could, I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to enter the tree’s mind.” They explain

With surprising strength, Reimu grabs Jesse’s collar and drag them closer to her “J, listen to me,” She spoke calmly

“My duty is to keep the balance between youkai and human safe.” Jesse listen carefully

“Up to now, I’ve saved Gensokyo twice. Twice. ” She lets go of Jesse’s shirt

“If you don’t believe me, just ask any villagers at the Human Village, hell, I will take you there personally.” She says with absolute certainty that she is right

Jesse stares at Reimu, trying to decide what to do

[] Try Reimu’s idea

[] Do it alone
>> No. 67135
[x] Do it alone

Her sudden attitude shift is suspicious, but even without that she's too vital for Gensokyo to risk.
>> No. 67182
Just a reminder that voting will be closed tomorrow!
>> No. 67188
Voting is closed! I will get to writing the chapter.
>> No. 67355
File 154371742465.jpg - (223.41KB, 1300x1300, 35602313-cherry-blossom-tree.jpg) [iqdb]
67355
‘There’s no fear in her eyes, willing to fight a monster even though she’s injured… I want to be like that too.’ Jesse admits

They sigh “Reimu, you’re so injured that you have to use the broom to help you walk.” They say

“We’re entering the tree’s mind, right? It has nothing to do with my body!” She argues

Jesse’s eyebrow furrow “What about your mind?” They ask, “Your mood change so suddenly!”

Reimu rolls her eyes “That stupid tree had me awake through the whole night! Of course, I would be mad!” She exclaims twisting the broom into the ground

“But what if it can still hurt you? You would be helpless!” They point out “That’s why you can’t join me.”

“What about you?” She points a finger at them “You’re somehow immune to it?” She accuses

Jesse shrugs “I don’t know, besides this isn’t my first time with the blossom tree, I can handle it.” They explain

“Good for you, but I don’t care, I’m joining to kill that tree.” She says with a smile

Jesse frowns ’What’s with her? She offered me tea and now she’s acting like she’s an executioner!’

Reimu begins walking to the back of the shrine, but Jesse quickly step in front of her stopping her

She looks at them with a glare “What is it now?” She beings to tap her feet against the ground

Jesse glares back “I like how determined you are Reimu, It’s really cool.” They admit plainly

She raises an eyebrow “…Okay?” She stares at them a bit confused now

They slowly breathe in “But because of that, you’re going to get yourself hurt… or maybe even worse! I’m not going let you hurt yourself like this.” They explain walking pass her and turning around to face her

Reimu smirks “And what are you going to do?” She places her free hand on her hip

’I can’t believe what I’m going to do…’ They stare at Reimu, their body tensing

Reimu herself bring her broom before her “Try anything and you will regret it.” She warns

Both kids stand against each other, eye-to-eye, Reimu with her cold and determine eyes against Jesse’s anxious but hidden resolute eyes.

“From how you talked, I have a feeling you’re stronger than me,” Jesse says evenly

Reimu simply smiles “You would be right.” She says

Jesse nods “But I know how to beat you.” They boast

“Oh, this should be good, how?” She asks

They breathe in and out reading their body “All I have to do is…”

Jesse suddenly turns around and sprints to the blossom tree as fast as they can

They hear Reimu shouting “Hey!” Jesse didn’t bother to look back

’…Would Keine do the same?’ Memories of Keine begin to reemerge in their mind

’Now that I think about it if she didn’t care about me, why did she try to stop me from entering Kenji’s house?’

They turn around the corner of the shrine and sees the tree in sight

’But right now I have to deal with that tree. Hopefully, Reimu’s courage rubbed off on me!’

Jesse right hand begins to glow preparing to mind link with the tree

Reimu roars from around the corner, aggressively limping after them “J! Don’t you dare!”

Ignoring her order, Jesse touch the tree, feeling their mind connecting with the evil being

Like last time, Jesse finds themselves burry in cherry blossom. They slowly stand up making sure not to make any noise to avoid being attacked. Looking around, the scenery is still the same, a floor of cherry blossoms with a tree standing in the distance.

Jesse’s mind begins to wonder during the trek ’Ugh, now I feel like a hypocrite for leaving Reimu behind, but what else was I supposed to do? Bring an injured person with me?’ They shake their head

’At least with Keine, I wasn’t going to slow her down.’ They sigh softly
’Hopefully Reimu will get better when I-‘

Their whole body suddenly went against their will, unable to move ’W-what’s happening!? I can’t move!’ Their mind began to race ’This didn’t happen before! So why can’t I…?’

A pink glow brightens enough to catch Jesse’s attention. They realize that they could move their eyes. In the distance from where the pink glow is coming from, Jesse spots a little girl all tie up reminds them how they found Kenji, but what is different is a single eye rooted right above the girl’s head staring at them. It’s the source of the pink light.

’Is that thing the reason I can’t move?’ They thought

The eye fires a beam larger than Jesse’s torso at an extreme speed! It hits Jesse’s chest pushing them back as they scream in pain. The beam begins to push Jesse into the ground ripping the back of their shirt, causing a carpet burn as the beam plows them into the ground while also kicking up petals and particles into the air. Soon the beam sputters out of existence only leaving a trench of dirt where Jesse was drag through the ground, petals slowly falling and smoke covering the area.

Jesse groans in pain, slowly lifting their head up to check the damage. The clothing is now charred barely holding together with large holes. Their skin did not fare any better either, it looks identical to the shirt, burnt and flaky making Jesse gag at the disgusting sight. Strangely enough, there is no smell of charred skin

’…H-how am I alive?!’ Their breathing begins to go uneven, but their hand starts burning up again forcing them to stay calm ’I can’t panic now! Perhaps since this is the mind link world I can take a hit without dying?’ They struggle but were successfully able to stand up

They couldn’t see through the smoke ’It’s a different creature than before, but maybe it also has a weakness like the previous creature.’

’I can move now, but I need to come up with a plan before the smoke settle down!’

[] Write-in
>> No. 67368
I forgot to mention this, but the voting will close at the 9th!
>> No. 67371
No write-in, but that's okay. I will keep on writing.
>> No. 67372
Hey guys, just as the subject says, I will be taking a break from writing Aftermath, and I don't know when I will back for it hopefully soon.

I'm not going to disappear though since I'll still be in our Discord, so I will see you there!
>> No. 67373
understandable, hope you come back soon!
>> No. 67495
File 155387981912.jpg - (61.77KB, 480x320, blossoming-cherry-tree-royalty-free-image-76316726.jpg) [iqdb]
67495
’If I have to take a guess, that eye stops me from moving.’ They thought as they run their hand over their hair

’It looked at me before I saw it, so keeping my eyes closed won’t help.’ The smoke begins to dissipate

Jesse looks around trying to get an idea ’This world is so open! There is nowhere to hide!’ Their breathing hastens with the burning sensation on their left hand again

As they look down to the ground, examining the trench that they made being cover up by the cherry blossoms that were gently floating down. Like lightning, an idea struck Jesse’s head, they snatch a petal from the air and let it fall only to grab it again before it hit the ground again.

“I told Keine that this world is made of thoughts and desires.” Jesse recalls “Dreams are usually made of those two, so if I were to change my desires and think in a different way…”

Jesse holds the petal on the palm of their hand ’But is this even a good idea to try now, of all time!?’ They close their eyes

If it doesn’t work then I might die, but I can’t think of anything else!’ Their eyebrow scrunches as they try to concentrate, sweat begins to roll down their face out of nervousness

Jesse turns their hand sideways letting the petal fall, but instead of down it went forward. The cherry blossoms begin to move forward as well as if rolling down the floor. Jesse crouches down and tucks themselves to a ball and felt a familiar force pulling them toward the tree

“I-it’s working! I’m shifting gravity!” They exclaim as they began to roll off the ground and free fall

The tree’s eye widens in surprise seeing a human cannonball speeding towards it. A beam attack erupts from the eye hitting Jesse but failing to hit center mass causing them to roll off the beam and begin to spin like a human top at a dangerous speed.

’It doesn’t matter if I miss! In fact, it’s even better!’ Jesse passes by the tree “Because you’re the one pulling me!” They shout before curving around the tree than being slingshot away from the tree creating more speed

The eye looks on as the human cannonball lunches off to the horizon further then it can see confuse at what just happened

’Since this is just a dream, I don’t have to follow logic!’ They grin

As they continue soaring through the air, the pull from behind begins to pull them forward. If Jesse could see, they would see the back of the tree coming into view. The tree’s eye begins to look around wondering where the human went, but before it could realize, Jesse slams into the back with enough force to go all the way through the tree and bursting through the eye with ease.

Jesse shifts gravity back to normal causing them to crash into the ground and skidding across it creating a second trench much longer than the first

“…Ow.” They mutter trying to stand up, but their body couldn’t comply

Due to the spinning, Jesse begins puking on the ground as they try to keep their body stable. Finally standing up, Jesse immediately falls back down for being too dizzy with their view always moving. Jesse decides to lay on their back staring at the sky waiting to recover.

“After this one, only six will be left…” Jesse mumbles looking at the clear pink sky “A quarter of a way there.” They clench their hand

A minute pass and Jesse slowly stand up making sure not push their luck in this world. Where they landed is not too far from what’s left of the tree. The eye or more specifically, where the eye was now replaced with a hole that is slightly bigger than the eye.

Jesse shudder ’Thank goodness it didn’t have any blood’ Then a curious question pops in their head ’But what happens if someone dies in this world anyway?’ They shake their head “Focus Jesse, someone needs your help.” They say stopping in front of a girl who is entangled in vines with cherry blossoms blooming on it.

The well-dress girl seems to have slept through the whole chaos with no scratch on her. Jesse breathes in then exhales through their nose, getting ready for the last obstacle. They grab the bud and pull on it. Like before, the bud begins to lash its vine-like tentacles out at Jesse’s arm although they ignore the pain and the cries of the girl in pain and continue pulling with all their might.

Finally, Jesse pulls the bud out of the girl stopping her from crying more. They chuck the bud away looking on as it dissipates into dust. Jesse checks on the girl one final time, seeing as she is okay, they end the mind link.


The tree Jesse had their hand begins to fade to nothing leaving behind the small girl with long black hair and fancy clothing. Jesse opens their eyes, the first thing they do is checking on their body making sure that their power didn’t somehow transfer the damages into real life

They release a sigh of relief “Thank goodness, it didn’t actually happ- “A wooden object slams on top of their head causing them to yelp

“Ow! Reimu!?” Jesse guesses as they turn around rubbing their scalp to find Reimu staring them down with her broom at hand “What was that for?!” They ask as the pain begins to fade away

Reimu points the broom at Jesse “For being stupid, that’s what.” She answers obviously not please of their plan. “Don’t try to be a hero and let the professional handle it.” She gestures to herself

Jesse rolls their eyes “Look, can we talk about this later? This girl need help.” They point to the girl lying on the ground

Reimu stares at the unconscious girl and set the broom down “…Fine, carry her to the shrine, after we get her in, I’m going to take a quick nap though.” She says mostly to herself, grabbing the small girl by the leg

She looks to Jesse “Well? You’re going to help or are you tired out?” She asks, but Jesse isn’t sure if she was mocking them
Jesse shuffles “What about the pain?” They ask

Reimu shrugs “I’m feeling better now with the tree gone. And with you helping this should be no problem.” She reasons

Jesse insists “Are you sure? I could carry her myself.” They say

The Miko eyes narrow “Just get over here and help me!” she orders getting tired of Jesse’s questioning

Jesse apologizes and went to grab under the girl’s arms as Reimu makes sure that she has a good hold on the girl’s legs. They raise the girl up and begin their walk back to the shrine.

“I’ll be honest with you J,” Reimu spoke up grabbing Jesse attention “I wasn’t expecting you to deal with the tree so quickly.” She says

“Oh, that? In the mind link world, times seem to be faster than the real world.” Jesse explains

Reimu hums a response but didn’t go any further in her questions “I see,” They make a turn around the corner of the shrine reaching the front. After entering the shrine, they set the girl down on the futon that Jesse waked up on.

“There we go, now I can finally take a much-needed nap," Reimu calls out her walking seeming more sluggish before carrying the girl

Jesse nods “Okay, but when should I wake you up?” They say as they place a blanket over the student’s shoulder

“Noon.” She opens the door to her room and enters it

Now by themselves, Jesse sighs and take off their jacket setting it over their book pack that is in the corner of the living room. Next, they search through their bag and found their notebook and a pencil to write. Walking to the entrance of the shrine and sitting down, Jesse begins to write

Day 2

Where do I even begin?

Jesse stops for a moment thinking back to Ran

I guess I can start with Ran or at least what she told me, Maybe I was hiding it from myself, but I couldn’t believe what she told me, how many of those people are missing, and how many came here? Is there even a way to save them?

I can’t imagine how many people died here, without anyone knowing. What was going on in their head when they appear here? I feel sick saying this but, I hope they were already dead. If they weren’t, my mind would only assume the worst.

Jesse left-hand starts to twitch

God, just thinking how many people being eaten is terrifying… I think it would be best for me to assume they were dead before coming here.

They take a deep breath and then exhale, they look to their bandage left hand. The bandage itself seem close to falling off

And then there’s Ran, she put some sort of spell on my hand, the pain was unbearable, and I passed out, but I remember what she said to me before I did. ‘It was for my own good,’ or something like that. Well, what else was I supposed to do!? Just be okay with what she told me? How would she feel if her kind is being eaten!

’…The bandage is starting to peel off, I don’t feel any pain on my hand, so maybe it’s okay to take it off? Might as well as see what she put on my hand.’

Jesse begins to tug on the bandage, but stops, anger surging through them

’Why should I bother? Ran is a youkai, why should I even try to understand her? It’s not like everything will get better even if I did…’

[] Fasten it

[] Take it off
>> No. 67496
[x] Fasten it

better safe than sorry
>> No. 67497
[] Fasten it
get it on tight
>> No. 67505
Okay, voting is closed! Also, it feels good being back.
>> No. 67506
[x] Take it off

Votes end when you say they end! Wait, that came out wrong.
>> No. 67520
File 155551102942.jpg - (13.93KB, 181x279, Yukari.jpg) [iqdb]
67520
[X] Fasten it

Jesse huffs and fastens the bandage keeping it from falling off by itself. After a quick turn of their hand to make sure there are no loose spots, Jesse resumes writing only to find that their journal is missing

“Huh?” They look to their other side, but found nothing “Where did it go?” They say as they look under the porch

“How sweet, a child looking for their parents.” A familiar voice spoke up startling Jesse

Frantically looking up, Jesse sees half of a woman’s hanging in the air reading their journal “Gah!” They stumble onto their back

The woman gives a friendly smile and waves “It’s good to see you too J.” She says

Memories begin to flow back to Jesse “Yukari,” They say softly looking into her eyes, the same mischievous eyes

“You’re…” Annoyance flash in Jesse’s eyes “Stop reading through my journal!” They shout jumping trying to snatch it back

Yukari quickly raises her hand up “Nope~” She sang as Jesse misses to grab their journal

“Come on! Don’t you have something better to do than invading my privacy!?” They shout now trying to jump higher

The woman thoughtfully places her hand on her chin “Well now that you mention it, there is something I want to ask.” She says lowering the gap to reveal the other half of her body.

“Can you at least ask me rather than invading my privacy!?” They shout

Yukari giggles “Sorry, a force of habit!” She sits down on the porch holding the journal out for Jesse to take

Jesse grabs the journal “…So why are you here? Aren’t shrines suppose to be yokai-free or something?” They ask

She shrugs “When the god of this shrine gains enough faith then perhaps.” She pats the area next to her “But enough about that, I came here to talk to you.” She says

Jesse stand still for a moment, thinking their options ’…I did say I would give her chance…’ after making their decision, they sat next to Yukari at arms distance

A genuine smile spread across Yukari’s face

“So, what is it?” They ask as they place their journal in their pocket

“I wanted to know how you’re feeling.” She says as she opens a gap

“Huh?” The sudden concern of their well-being surprises them “Oh well, I… I’m not sure really.” They admit

Yukari pulls out a tray that has two cups and a teapot “That’s understandable, this is not a place for someone your age.” She sets the tray between them “Tea?” She offers

Jesse nods and grabs a cup “Thank you,” They say

After pouring tea on both cups, they begin to drink “Tell me Jesse, how come only you can see the trees?” She calmly asks

Jesse’s hand being to grow warm “I don’t know,” They quickly say

“Are you sure about that? Don’t you find it odd?” Yukari presses on

“Y-yeah, but I don’t know why,” Jesse states as they drink the tea, calming them a bit

Yukari slowly takes a sip from her cup “I think you do know why you just don’t want to believe it.” She observes

Jesse says nothing as their hand begin to get hotter

“There is also the question of how the trees are able to be anywhere in such a short amount of time.” She points out

“…Why are you telling me this Yukari?” They ask quietly setting their cup down on the tray

She also sets her cup down “I’m doing this because I don’t want this to fester in your mind, the more you reject it, the louder it will be.” She explains

“Now tell me Jesse, who is behind the kidnapping of the students?” Yukari asks

Jesse gets off the porch “Look, my parents are good people, they wouldn’t kidnap anyone and do this!” They state

Yukari leans back with the support of her arms, looking up to the sky “Perhaps, but do you believe your parents has at least some connection?” She asks

Jesse’s hand begins to cool down “Maybe if someone or something is forcing them to do it, like the tree.” They admit

Yukari looks back to Jesse with a satisfied smile “Good, good, I was worried you would reject the idea.” She says

Jesse begins to walk back and forth “Yeah, that means I could sense them too if the tree is controlling them too!” They exclaim

Yukari smiles “Your welcome by the way.” She says grabbing her cup again

“Ah, y-yeah thank you, Ms. Yukari.” Jesse bows their head “But now that I think about it, where would they be? They can be anywhere in this world.” They scratch their chin

The youkai chuckles “Fortunately Gensokyo is not even as big as Japan, and I believe I know the location of two trees” She takes a sip from her cup

“You do!?” Jesse asks, excitement creeping in their voice

Yukari nods “I’m predicting the other two who help stopped the blooming of Saigyou will be targeted as well.” She points out

Jesse smiles “That’s great! Who are those two?”

She shows one finger “Marisa Kirisame, Reimu’s friend,” Then she raises another finger “and Sakuya Izayoi, a maid at the Scarlet Devil Mansion.”

“Okay, we could work with this, but what about the other students?” Jesse asks

Yukari opens a gap with two crows exiting out “With the help of Zenki and Goki, I can find anything suspicious!” She states

Jesse begins to scratch their chin ’Who should I find first though?’

[] Marisa Kirisame

[] Sakuya Izayoi
>> No. 67521
[x] Marisa Kirisame
>> No. 67522
[X] Marisa Kirisame
>> No. 67523
Voting is closed! Off to Marisa's house!
>> No. 67547
File 155711251017.jpg - (117.16KB, 794x1025, Keine.jpg) [iqdb]
67547
Jesse scratches their chin “Reimu told me a bit about Marisa, so we should find her first.” They conclude

Yukari smirk “Trying to butter Reimu up eh?” She says as her two crows fly off in two different direction

Jesse quickly shake their head “Of course not! It’s just… where the maid is working doesn’t sound friendly to humans.” They explain

The youkai stands up “Relax Jesse, with Reimu and soon Marisa on your side, no youkai would dare to take you.” She places her hand on their shoulder

The human slowly nods feeling confident now “Okay, now we just have to wait for Reimu to wake up and then use your portal to get there.” They say

Yukari’s smile falters for a second “I can do that but remember Jesse you’ll have to find the tree yourself in that forest.” Jesse gives a firm nod

Her eyes widen “Oh, I almost forgot!” She opens a gap and pulls out a gas mask “Here,” She passes it to them

Jesse looks at the mask in confusion “Uh thanks?” They say grabbing it

“The Forest of Magic is a dangerous place for humans due to monsters and of the poison release from the mushroom that grows there” Yukari explains

“And this Marisa lives there?” Jesse asks “Why?” they say now in fear of her safety

Yukari looks off in the distance as if something got her attention “Some humans become rather invested in their dreams, wouldn’t you agree?” She says

Jesse recalls why they came to Gensokyo “…Yeah,”

Suddenly a woman’s voice shouts out “Jesse get away from her!” Jesse turns around in the same direction, Yukari was staring off to

“Keine?” They call out seeing her soaring through the air towards them. What got their concern is that the teacher’s cloth seems damage and her hat was missing.

“Keine! Are you alright!?” Jesse shouts walking towards where Keine is coming from

The teacher slows down as she comes closer, only stopping in short distance of Jesse. She grabs their hand, pulling them to go father from Yukari.

“Oh? What exactly did you plan next after this?” The yokai smirks “You know I was just planning on finding you, History Eater.” She says

Keine glares at her ignoring her taunt “Are you behind this?” she accuses

As Jesse tries to answer, Yukari beat them to the punch “That depends, on what?” she goads

Keine narrow her eyes “My students! Where did you take them?” she points at her

Jesse steps in while Keine still kept a firm hold on their wrist “Wait, she’s your suspect Keine?” They ask now confused

She shakes her head “The other one wasn’t the culprit, Yukari here is the second suspect.” She states

Yukari reach for her sleeve, making Keine tense, and pulls out a fan using it to cover her mouth “Now what use would I have with your kids?” She questions

Keine says nothing, she only stares into Yukari’s eyes silently judging her

The silent prove too much to Jesse “Keine, I think we should trust her.” They spoke up

She shakes her head “I wouldn’t trust her if she was the last person of this world!” She declares “She’s a ruthless youkai that sees everyone as a tool to be used and discarded when no longer useful!” Keine exclaims

Yukari closes her fan and points at her with it “I’ll have you know Keine, that I treat my tools with at most care.” She says seeming somewhat insulted of Keine’s accusation

“That’s… not helping you,” Jesse comments “Anyway, for this situation, Yukari is the one that gave me the ability to speak Japanese.” They explain

Keine looks back “You remember Jesse?” They nod

She stares at Jesse than back to Yukari who is waving at her “…Alright” she sighs

Yukari claps her hand “Excellent! But there’s one small problem now.” Yukari says

Jesse’s hand grew warm “What is it?” ask now worry

“The humans in the village are growing restless with the student’s disappearance” She explains “If nothing is done about it, it could be terrible for everyone involved.”

Keine crosses her arm together “What do you want to do about it?” She asks

Yukari walks closer to Keine “I have eyes and ears everywhere, but now I need hands and yours will be perfect.” She says to Keine

Keine says nothing, waiting to what the gap youkai’s ‘request’ will be.

Yukari opens a gap and pulls out a stack of papers “This here is all the children’s record from their birth certificate to entering your school, use your power to get rid of it” She hands it to Keine

The statement confuses Jesse, but notice how Keine’s body went rigid “What will happen if she does that?” They ask

Yukari looks over to Jesse “When she does it, the people at the village will have no memories of the students.” She explains

“People don’t forget what I cover, I can only conceal from sight.” Keine immediately correct her

Yukari wags her finger “Not with that attitude! I know the true extent of your power Keine, you’re just hiding it.” She says

“You want the students to be liquefied!?” Jesse eyes widen at the implication of the power “Is it permanent?” They ask

“Only as long as we need it to be, to save the students.” Yukari answers

“Why not just tell them the truth though why go through all this?” Jesse asks as Keine’s grip on the papers tighten

“If we do that, people will be in rage instead of fearing the youkai.” Keine explains “Battle would ensue with heavy losses on both sides.” She says

Jesse says nothing unsure how to feel about this situation

“…I’ll do it, but you’ll have to wait for the moon to rise, you also stole Kenji’s paper as well even though he’s safe.” Keine says as she looks at the first paper on the stack

Then Jesse remembers “Oh Keine! I found another student that was placed here!” They exclaim pointing inside the shrine catching Keine’s attention

A smile is brought to her face and she bows to Jesse “Thank you, Jesse! It seems I’ll have to rely on you to save my students.” She says, “Now if the both of you excuse me,” Keine goes into the shrine to see who the second student is.

Now it just Yukari and Jesse “I guess she’s at full power when it’s night?” Jesse says to themselves

“When it’s the full moon to be more specific,” Yukari corrects

Jesse shuffles around unsure how to feel about this situation “Something feels off,” They say

Yukari raise an eyebrow “What would that be?” She asks

“Well, how would there be great losses?” They ask, “Ran told me that there is more youkai than humans, so why would it be a great loss for youkai?”

Yukari says nothing, but then chuckles “Jesse, have you wonder why there are humans here in the first place?” She asks

They shake their head “No, but now that I think about it, is there a point?”

“Of course, there is! All youkai requires human belief to exist if all the humans die so will youkai as well.” She explains

Jesse frowns “But why do some need to eat humans?” They ask

Yukari shakes her head “You’re thinking it wrong Jesse, youkai is made out of a belief it’s our body, what a youkai eats depend on what type they are.” She says

Jesse places their hand on their chin “Interesting…” They say

[] Continue talking to Yukari to pass the time

[] Check on Keine to see how she is doing
>> No. 67551
[X] Check on Keine to see how she is doing
>> No. 67552
Voting is closed! Thank you for voting!
>> No. 67557
File 155840366443.jpg - (19.87KB, 300x389, 4e6ddb6d6b9d0272bf3ce408192d5a4a45c7152a_hq.jpg) [iqdb]
67557
While the conversation to Jesse is interesting, their worry for Keine outgrew it “Anyway Yukari, I should see how Keine is doing.” They say, “I’m a little worry about those injuries she had on her.”



To Jesse surprise, Yukari pouts “Leaving me for another woman? You’re the worst Jesse.” She says with a faux tone of sadness



Jesse couldn’t help but laugh at her small play “Sorry, sorry, but I just want to see how she is holding.” They explain looking over to the shrine


She shrugs “If you believe that’s the best course of action than I won’t stop you.” She says “I’ll be here until then.” She sits back down on the porch refilling her cup with tea


Jesse walks up to the stairs and enters the shrine, the table is cover in papers of all the student’s paper. The teacher herself is sitting down, with the small girl still sleeping in the futon. Keine wore a grateful smile when she notices Jesse enter



Jesse smiles back “It’s good to see you again Keine.” They say happy to see a familiar face making a bow to her



Keine stands up and bows back “Thank you for saving Yuki, Jesse.” She says



Now seeing Keine standing up, Jesse sees her battle damage clothing “Your welcome, by the way, Keine, what happened to your clothing?” Jesse asks



Keine looks up “Huh? O-oh this?” She then looks down on her damage clothing “I fought the first suspect in a duel and won, but unfortunately, she wasn’t the one.” She explains



She looks to Jesse “What about your hand Jesse?” She points at their bandage hand



Jesse frowns recalling the incident “…I really don’t want to talk about that.” They say, anger and sadness lingering in their mind with the tremendous pain burning into their flesh, they couldn’t help but shudder.



Keine eyes widen “Jesse… was it when you were coming to the shrine?” she bit her lip fearing that she failed her duty again. Jesse didn’t respond making Keine assumes the worst.



Her heart feels heavy, a burning sensation travels over her body as she stood up “I’m so sorry Jesse if I had known, I would’ve come with you.” Shame fills her body for failing to protect her students and leading Jesse into danger and all in the span of two days.



Jesse felt a bitter feeling in their mouth “Keine,” They say grabbing her attention “You didn’t have control of it and even if you did, you didn’t know that it happened. So, don’t blame yourself.” They point out



Keine hesitates, then gives a reluctant nod “I see what you mean Jesse, but I feel as I should have done more.” She says



An idea struck Jesse mind “Why not join me and Reimu in finding your students?” They suggest



She gives a wistful smile “I would love to Jesse, but I can’t.” She states surprising Jesse. Before they could ask, Keine continues “I cultivated myself as an image of safety, when surrounded by numerous youkai, the people look up to me as their protector. If they notice how frequently or how long I leave they will worry.” She says even though in her mind she feels that she failed in her duty



Jesse slowly nods “That’s understandable,” They say



Keine stands up from the table “Which is why Jesse, I have a request.” She walks toward them



She grabs their hand and cups them together “Please save them,” She pleads “My only wish is to see them all safe and sound.” She says



Jesse understood this pain all too well, memories, when he was by himself, begin to resurge, the turmoil of never knowing if their parents would ever come back were the worst two weeks of their life. Jesse looks into Keine’s eye noting that they seem puffy.



They give a firm nod “I will,” They say with resolution



“Thank you… thank you,” She repeated with a shaky voice



Jesse reaches and wraps their arm around Keine’s neck pulling her down for a hug. This action surprises Keine, but she hugs back in appreciation.



“I know what it’s like when someone you care for goes missing. It’s a horrible feeling, but I swear on my family name that I will save them.” They swore as they hug her tighter.



Keine wonder what exactly Jesse went through to know that, but decides not to ask “Thank you, Jesse.” She says



They both let go from the hug with renewing conviction to continue walking forward in their life.



Then a loud yawn is heard from the next room. The door slides open revealing to be Reimu stretching her arms “Hmm? Who are you?” She asks Keine



Keine gives a bow “My name is Keine Kamishirasawa and I’m sorry for barging into your house shrine maiden, but I needed somewhere to rest.” She says



Reimu stares at Keine “Did you at least make a donation?” She asks seeming not to care much about her apology.



Keine shakes her head “Ah, not yet, but I will soon after I finish organizing these papers” She says



Reimu looks to Jesse for confirmation to which they nod “I believe her,” They say



She looks back to Keine “Alright, just make sure you clean up after yourself.” She says



Reimu begins to walk out of her shrine “J, we’re heading out.” She gestures them to follow



“Oh? Where are we going?” They ask



She shrugs “I don’t know, I’m hoping we’ll find the problem along the way.” She says



Jesse didn’t like the idea at all “Why not we go to Marisa’s house?” They suggest surprising Reimu



They point outside “I was talking to Yukari and she mentions that the tree is probably out to get the both of you and the girl name Sakuya.” They say



Reimu eyes widen “The hag is actually helping?” She says catching Jesse and Keine by surprise



“Don’t act too shock Reimu, that tree is a problem to everyone,” Yukari calls out from outside



Reimu groans in annoyance “Great,” She says



“Anyway, we should get going now. The faster we deal with the tree, the better.” Jesse advice



“What about her?” Reimu points to the sleeping girl



Keine spoke up “I’m her teacher so I will bring her back to the village.” She says



Yukari walks to the front door “It seems like everyone is ready, shall we go?” She asks



Reimu and Jesse look to each other and nod “Yeah,” Jesse says
>> No. 67558
No choices for today, I will try to post the next chapter next week!
>> No. 67559
Sorry guys, I wasn't able to finish the chapter today. I'll need more time.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x